Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Houseplants: Cyclamen purchased at grocery store is dying. Help!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 1, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
austrianna
Ridgewood, NJ

October 27, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #8179965

I just purchased a florist cyclamen and it is dying. I have it by a window facing east and south and we keep our house very cool. It is starting to turn brown and flower buds that looked like they were going to blossom have gone limp and dead. What am I doing wrong? I water once a week from the bottom.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #8180138

I've never been able to keep one of those beauties alive for very long! They are such gorgeous plants and we only see them for sale down here the end of the year, around the holidays so I usually purchase a couple as temporary plants. I believe I've read that they are tuberous and do go dormant at times, so maybe that's what your plant is doing. I've also heard that they need consistently moist (but not soggy) soil to do well. Here's some info I found while googling:

http://gardening.about.com/od/houseplants/a/Cyclamen.htm

http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week491.shtml

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America