Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Upper Midwest Gardening: Overwintering cordyline cabbage palm

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tomtedbear
Chicago, IL

October 27, 2010
4:02 PM

Post #8180119

I have seven gorgeous cordyline cabbage palms (or burgundy dracaena spikes) in my railing planters on my balcony railings. They've really grown to be gorgeous and I hate to let them freeze this year. Most of my plants are annuals and I just have to let them go since I have no way to overwinter them. But since these were dessert plants originally (I think) I was wondering if I could save them somehow. My mom used to save her geraniums in the crawl space every winter, so I was thinking I could do something like that in a space high up in the garage that does have dim light all the time and stays above freezing all winter long (unless someone leaves a door open, which shouldn't happen). Does anyone have any thoughts? Should I pot them or wrap the roots? Any thoughts would be appreciated including telling me it won't work if you know it won't. Thanks in advance. Tom.

Thumbnail by tomtedbear
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 30, 2010
11:44 AM

Post #8185187

tom - I bought mine about 4 years ago as my first hobby gh plant. It goes outdoors in the summer and comes indoors once the night time temps hit about 40. Since I keep mine in a pot, it's easy enough to bring indoors. You could transplant yours into pots and bring them in. If you have a sunny window in the house, you could put them there. I generally treat them as "floor" plants on saucers rather than trying to find table space for them. They transplant rather easily. Not sure how cold a temp they could take or if you'd need to cut them back if you have a garage space in mind. I think I'm too chicken to try letting them go dormant.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America