Photo by Melody

Water Gardens: If you build it they will come!

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 53, Views: 765
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #8180444

I put in a stream this spring, with hopes of attracting lots of birds. As the plants in the pond got bigger, most birds went to the stream for their water. Really fun to watch. I set up a bird camera to catch the action.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #8180445

As the robins migrated through, THIS was the place to party!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #8180448

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #8180451

The birds aren't the only visitors.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #8180452

I'm sad to be closing it up for the winter though!
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2010
7:30 AM

Post #8181144

Nice pic's. Next year the frogs will come!!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #8181202

Oh Beahive, you are always the frog optimist! I sure hope so though. One Toad this year, One frog the year before.

I found some little guys at my mom's creek and thought about frog-napping them!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #8181271

He is a cute one. Kinda late in the season to move them however. I have a few still braving the cold and wet weather,but I have noticed the Koi are slowing down and spending more time in their "castle" than swimming around. Sure hate when winter rolls around!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2010
11:05 AM

Post #8181448

yah, late indeed. These were so small. like maybe the size of a half dollar or something.

I want them to arrive on their own I guess. More likely to stay maybe? Although you say yours come and go

well there's always next year!
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

October 28, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #8182136

How about collecting eggs next year Mrs-Ed? The newly hatch tadpole will consider your place their home.
Bea is your pond set up with a stream, and if so does it create a lot of water movement in the pond? I know frog like stagnant water.
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2010
6:35 PM

Post #8182139

very cool!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #8182313

I have a stagnate-ish corner. i also want turtles. and penguins. I want penguins!! LOL.
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #8182688

I have a short steam that creates a waterfall into the pond and a quiet area that is very heavy in water lettuce and hyacinth & other plants during the pond season. Had lots of croaking going on this season but never saw any eggs or tadpoles this year. I think if their were any the Koi enjoyed them. I do have new visiters all the time. Some stay and others move on. Penquins would be fun!
realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #8183700

Wow, looks great. It's amazing how much difference having a water source makes.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

October 29, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #8184178

Here you go Marna, this is the best I could do, for now. ;0)

Thumbnail by burn_2007

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #8184188

Had this one saved on my computer . Ahhhhh!

Thumbnail by BeaHive

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #8184194

This one is also terrific! Smile!

Thumbnail by BeaHive

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #8184745

Aww, thanks!
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8358986

Mrs_Ed I love the pictures of the birds next to your stream. I do not think I have ever seen the blue bird. Is that a Blue Jay? Also I love your stream. If you can would you post a picture of the entire thing for us to look at? How big is it and how did you build it? It is still just a thought in my head right now but I very much want to make one in my yard. And I already know that my DH will not be too enthusiastic about it so I need to have researched it throughly. I only learned yesterday that they actrually sell fake rocks!!! They also had instructions for building a fake cave which I thought was totally awsome. One of the examples they showed is where they put fake rocks in the house to make it look like you were living in a cave. That was neat but I cannot find the pictures I saw yesterday. I will not even try that because my yard is so small. But it looked like alot of fun. Kids can also climb this fake rock.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8359053

Mrs_ED, can you take a complete picture of your stream? I would love to see how you did it.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8359107

Hi there.

Yes that is a Blue Jay. I don't get Eastern Bluebirds here in town.

My pond is about 6' x 9'. It is not very deep, at its deepest point only about 22". I use a 500 watt pond heater in the winter to keep it open for the birds as well as to let out the gasses.

I built the pond in two stages. The pond one year and the stream the next year. I can say without a doubt that this was a BAD idea.

Year one info is on my blog (reverse order): http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/Mrs_Ed/11918/

The short version is that we dug the hole ourselves and bought liner from a local store. I had access to lots of rock and bought some smaller rock for the bottom of the pond. Although I did not buy their equipment, I believe in the Aquascape system, which lines the bottom with rock. Some debate on this, but works for me.

So, having built that pond, the next year we added the stream. Since I had use the soil from the pond hole previously dug somewhere else, I had to bring in bagged dirt to elevate the stream. We bought Atlantic Pond supply equipment, including skimmer, waterfall box, pump and checkvalve. The major problem with the two-stage approach was attaching the pond liner to the skimmer box as well as the stream liner to the pond liner. There is special silicone and tape for doing this, but it was not "fun". I'd definitely not do it this way again.

The pond is still a work in progress because I ran out of rock. But here is a picture from June.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8359111

oh Rats, that's the first year picture.

Here's June of last year, stream in progress.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8360150

Oh I like that, I could do that with my pond.
Thanks for the picture

Thumbnail by marie_kap

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8360422

Whoa, that is an adorable pond.

I am so anxious to get out there and finish it , but it's under a bunch of snow. ha.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8360489

I am afraid things have grown a little out of control over the years. It really needs to be redone and the plants thinned out.

Oh my I was looking up pictures to put in here.
Holy Cow, We did that pond back in 03 and our kitchen in 04.
Man time has really passed, I did not realize it was that long ago.

And the picture I could not pull up and paste here, placed in the wrong program..
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8360566

Marie

what is growing in front of your pond between the hostas and the Japanese Painted Fern? They look like nice creepers.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8360628

Oh that is ivy that I have to keep trimmed. It can get carried away...lol
How many times have you planted things in a spot just to realize later that it was not a good idea and have to get rid of it, kill it or move it?

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2011
8:03 AM

Post #8360683

Many, many many many times! Ha!

It's very lush!

So our plan this year is to finish off the stream, then add a flagstone patio. We are SO backwards. But a pond was the priority for me.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8360698

Marie

that is the way it goes.
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8361525

Very pretty. It is true..they will come. After seeing a few green tree frogs in our yard a few yrs ago, I added several water features hoping to increase thier numbers. Now the sound out there on summer nights is absolutely deafening lol. I hardly have to spray for bugs or anything any more on my plants the frogs do the work.
jenniealice
Fort Bragg, CA

March 5, 2011
9:17 PM

Post #8409380

This is so true. Our frogs have always been very happy with the "flood zone" in our backyard over the years, but after I turned the area into a serious pond (deep enough to drown in, long enough to do laps) we've had all sorts of wildlife: deer, raccoons, a blue heron, mallards . . . water bugs seem to even have popped out from somewhere. They all seem to be telling their friends how nice it is at our place! Now I have a game cam set up on a tree and hopefully can get some good photos of the new visitors.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8409723

Oh, i bed that is just wonderful! I'd love to have property to do that. Some friends of my mother's mad a dam in a local ravine and have a spring-fed pond/lake now. it's amazing.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2011
6:57 AM

Post #8409841

Friends of ours have a large pond like that. The pond covers well over an acre and that is part of the view they have on their front deck. They are surrounded by woods and it is just heaven up there. They are sitting on 88 acres on top of one of the hills here - we live in the valley, which is quite different from their top of the hill. I love it up there at my friends' house. One thing she did was to hang a number of hummingbird feeders from her front porch. The hummers come in droves and they are so much fun to watch.

Jenniealice - your place sounds like heaven too. Please post pictures soon.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2011
8:16 AM

Post #8409968

Sounds exactly like the kind of place I'd like to live!! I'd be in heaven with all the hummingbirds!
snorkelpop
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 22, 2011
8:31 PM

Post #8444193

That title reminded me of the experience I had with a small plastic pool. It was only about 6' in diameter, and I made no provision for aeration, filtration, or even circulation. The thing is, like your setup, my little pool attracted all kind of creatures, but mostly invertebrates. Sure, I had visits from raccoons, but I was surprised at the unidentifiable creatures that found a home there. One in particular looked like an aquatic potato bug, and there were many of them. Where they came from or what they were, I never found out. There were also wasps and dragon flies. What else? Well, I can't remember now, but I know I was upset when I was made to get rid of all my ponds because of fear of West Nile Valley disease, or whatever you call it.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 6:07 AM

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8444538

I would think that a simple fountain pump would have kept the water moving enough to keep the Mosquitos away, but still allow for other critters.

I'm really hoping for a frog population, but I've only had a couple of stopovers by a toad and a frog.
snorkelpop
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 23, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8445581

Mrs_Ed

When In lived in Sebastopol, I would occasionally see little, one-inch toads hopping around, or even climbing. I caught some of them (they didn't move very fast) but eventually let them go. The selection of toads you can buy is quite limited, but if I could find those little rascals again, I'd sure be a customer. Incidentally, do all frogs croak? If so, I'll have to stick to toads. They're more suitable for gardens, anyway. Oh, I just noticed: that should have been "get rid of," not "get ready".

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8445652

I have had several friends with farm-type ponds offer me bullfrogs. I would rather the critters find my place on their own.

Don't know about Frogs, but I know that Male toads croak to find a mate. That's what this one did. he was only here for a couple of days. Must not have had any takers.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8445742

When I was a girl I lived across from prime frog territory. One morning we got up and looked outside to determine what what is going on. There were little green toads (frogs?) every where. There was quite literally no way to walk without stepping on them there were so many. There must have been hundreds of them. Someone told me they were tree frogs but honestly I do know what kind they were. I do know that I shall never forget the experience.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8445820

I have heard that in tornadoes frogs can be picked up in one area and be 'rained' down on another. A possible explanation of the old testament about the frog plague. Either way, how long before the frogs disappeared. Otherwise how could you go outside. euwwwww.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8445833

When I was a girl we had this huge pond behind us. You could hear them frogs croaking all the way up through the corn fields. Well them there frogs were also good eating...lol

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8445922

should be hearing the spring peepers any day now!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8446239

Marie, you ate frog legs or the entire frog.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2011
4:29 AM

Post #8446685

The legs...lol Daddy would go down and catch a bunch and clean them up so mom could fry the legs. At first I was, oh no I ain't eating that. But soon I tried them again and they were not bad.
Need I say we lived in the boonies...lol

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8446888

:-( poor froggies.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8446929

If you saw how many frogs were in that pond, you would not say that.
We use to swim in to, there were frogs everywhere. It was funny, some of the larger tadpoles would play dead floating on top of the water until you got close to them and then they would swim away. You would feel them going all around your legs.
Frogs frogs everywhere...lol
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8446943

I like frogs, but!!!! Euwww. Talk about a plague of frogs.
jenniealice
Fort Bragg, CA

March 29, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8459200

I highly recommend setting up a game camera at your pond -- it's been so much fun seeing what shows up. Today, working out next to the pond a female mallard flew over wanting to land (I didn't do very well blending into the scenery) and decided not to. As per request, here's a photo of my pond. It's brown from runoff --we've had record rains, but it clears up after a little while. Next steps are to run electricity out, setup a waterfall, put in more plants (that my ducks don't devour) and a wall of hedges across where the bench is to enclose the area. I've been amending the water with lime to try to get a little more growth and it's been working, but now aeration is needed. We'll see how things progress!
By the way from left to right are Hal, Early, and Baby my very spoiled house ducks (the pond is just a daily field trip).

Thumbnail by jenniealice

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8459294

jenniealice, remind me.. is there a liner in that pond. Ducks... I want ducks...
jenniealice
Fort Bragg, CA

March 29, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8459469

Nope, no liner. We tried that at first, but not only was it hideous, there was so much water coming in through the ground that the "big fill" in winter pushed the liner up to the surface. However, with our soil and the fluctuation in groundwater, summertime we have a much lower water level in the pond. I think this year we might amend a few times with ordered water. I've added gobs of Bentonite, but I think it either requires much more or it's not really helping.
A note on ducks: these little guys are wonderful, but they are house ducks because of a tragedy with our previous ducks. No matter how safe you think the place is where you keep them, reinforce it even more. Predators are bound and determined with ducks. Most people don't know that ducks can live close to 20 years -- they don't know this because it's unheard of for ducks to die of old age: people don't protect them well enough. If I left these guys out for one night (which I NEVER would) they'd be goners by morning. They are the sweetest creatures--affectionate like dogs and cats, and incredibly intelligent and emotional. I hatched mine from eggs.

Thumbnail by jenniealice

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2011
1:16 AM

Post #8459755

Jennie - they are so cute. Do ducks have one mate for life like wild geese?
jenniealice
Fort Bragg, CA

March 30, 2011
9:52 PM

Post #8461801

Hello,
no they do not mate for life though having domesticated and imprinted ducks does "mess" with the natural order of things. Ducks can get very depressed when separated from their loved ones. 3 is the perfect number for me in my current situation--when I travel out of town every week for allergy injections I'm gone overnight so I bring 1 of 3 with me while the other two keep each other company and are cared for by my boyfriend. I have them on rotation each week so each duck gets a little one-on-one time with me for a night and a day. I couldn't imagine only having one duck--they would be so lonely if I went anywhere without them, it would be cruel.
This is a really good site about imprinted ducks (and geese) and keeping them at home:
http://www.thegoosesmother.com/

I'd like it if my ducks and the 2 wild mallards could be friends, though I don't believe my ducks know that they too, are actually ducks.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8462370

Jennie

great website. They are so cute!
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8469082

Mableruth of boilbrook-I live in Deer Park (near barrington) and we have bluejays. You have to provide the right food and all year round consistantly to get them to hang about. It took a few years for me to encourage bluejays to stay here. I have 3-4 pairs on my acre now all year round after three years of "encouragement". I also have a lot of evergreen type trees for them to nest in and for protection.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America