Installation protection wall behind wood stove Questions???

Bulverde, TX

Hello experts,

I am going to build a veneer stone wall 8' high x 12' wide with a 1 inch space behind and place a wood stove in front. As you can see in the drawing bellow. The wall is in front of a staircase.
Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to leave a 1 inch gap on the sides of the wall or can I place it contacting two wood columns on the sides? see image.

2. The ventilation gap in the top has to be completely separated from the top of the stairs or it only needs some spaces for the air to scape.

3. How do I attached the wall to the back? 1" ceramic spacers work for a wall this big? if so, how far apart do I need to place the spacers from each other, and how far from the stove area?

Thank you so much for your help with this.

P.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2010 11:42 AM

Thumbnail by woodstoveman
Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

I am going to build a veneer stone wall 8' high x 12' wide with a 1 inch space behind and place a wood stove in front. As you can see in the drawing bellow. The wall is in front of a staircase.

I' not crazy about a stove ate the bottom of a staircase. If you ever have any kind of fire or a stove that starts to smoke it will go right up those stairs and also block the use of those stairs as an exit. I would make plans or how you are going to evacuate the upstairs in case of a fire that originates from the wood stove.
Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to leave a 1 inch gap on the sides of the wall or can I place it contacting two wood columns on the sides? see image.

I don't think it will matter.

2. The ventilation gap in the top has to be completely separated from the top of the stairs or it only needs some spaces for the air to scape.

I think some will work depending on what some means. Lets say at least 1/3 of thetop and bottom open.

3. How do I attached the wall to the back? 1" ceramic spacers work for a wall this big? if so, how far apart do I need to place the spacers from each other, and how far from the stove area?

I'd ask this question in the construction forum or ask who ever you by the stone from.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.