Fertilizer Injectors?

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I am setting up a new drip system in one of my rose beds. Does anyone use a fertilizer injector such as this one http://www.dripworksusa.com/store/fertilizer.php? Not necessarily that particular one, just one in general. Is it worth the money? Can it be moved around for use in other beds?

Lynnwood, WA(Zone 7a)

I'm interested in knowing more about this too. The only one I ever hooked up broke. I was so disappointed I never tried again.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm considering bujyinmg a Hozon Brass Siphon Mixer.
http://hozon.com/

However, if I do, I'll get it from Steuber's Dsitributing for $18, instead of $30 + $8 shipping.

I finally found a bag of Urea (46-0-0), and it will spread more evenly dissolved.

I've been warned to use less than 2 pounds per 1,000 square feet per application
I think that is 8.2 GRAM per Sq YARD
or 0.91 GRAM per square foot.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I'll check out that link. Thanks!

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

The only one I had experience with was a fertilizer and injector intended for the brand name of drip system, and it got so plugged up I had to go around and take every emitter apart and clean every one of them.

My suggestion:
Use hand applied fertilizers when the main irrigation is drip.
If you can apply them right before it rains or hand water to make sure that all the fertilizer gets watered in, that would be good.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I did decide to stick with my current (hand) method of delivery fertilizer to the roses and veg/fruit garden. I still want to try and get a fetilizer injector someday, but I think I just need to learn more. I'm just getting used to the drip irrigation and want to make sure I know what I am getting into before I decide to upgrade.

Thanks for the input you guys!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Rick, did you order your Hozon siphon? I'm interested in getting one, but wonder if it's any better than just a hose end sprayer.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> Rick, did you order your Hozon siphon?

Yes, but I haven't used it yet. I might use it only with a watering wand or hand sprayer - something that won't clog. I figure that I'll mostly use it with Miracle-Gro. I would hate to clog up my only dripline. I might use it with a small spinner, since that would cover a large area with just one thing to unclog.

I do also plan to use it a few times to DILUTE some urea pellets I have, so I can spread it THINLY and uniformly. The max recommended rate is 2 pounds per 1,000 square feet (one ounce per 3.5 square yards = 8 grams per square yard). I plan to aim for around 1/4 of that rate to be safe.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for input. I found one locally and was wondering if I should get it. I think I'll wait until spring, and get a drip line set up.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Putting a filter AFTER the fertilzer mix ing and BEFORE the dripline?

Akkegedly the "pressure compensating" drippers are less semnsitivge to clogging. I don't know, thats just what I read.

(And it also makes sense that a long, relatively wide twisty "PC" channel should pass bigger particles than a much smaller oriface in a non-pressure-c ompensating dripper.)

Colorado County, TX(Zone 8b)

I installed an EZ-Flow EZ003CX recently... I highly recommend this unit or a similar product. They are a big time/money saver & wish I had done so much earlier in my life...

This message was edited Apr 19, 2013 8:34 PM to correct the model number

This message was edited Apr 19, 2013 8:34 PM

Thumbnail by w_r_ranch
Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I found one disgruntled "EZ-Flo" user who either got a defective unit or maybe a different model than yours. He never says what model number he bought, but felt sure it was delivering a much higher concentration than advertised.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg061905308532.html

http://www.ezflofertilizing.com/

I never tried one. Last fall I bought a brass Hozon Siphon Mixer for $18. Haven't tried it out yet.

Colorado County, TX(Zone 8b)

I read through the entire thing (BTW, thanks for posting the link, Rick). There is always someone that is not happy... His comments reminded me of a recent review of a cupcake pan on Amazon, LOL!!!

All I know is that I'm happy with ours... having used it almost daily in both our greenhouse & on our vegetable garden, as well as our flower beds & 17 trees. I'd purchase it again in a heartbeat.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> There is always someone that is not happy...

I agree. I don't know whether the one he got was defective, or if HE was ... overly demanding.

The fact that he used a conductivity meter to measure the output of something obviously less expensive than a made-to-be-precise METERING injector made me think he might have wanted Lexus performance with a Chevy price.

Then when he was told there was an acessory that would improve his accuracy, and he demanded it for free and cursed them for wnating to charge for it, , I wondered on what planet he had learned about capitalism.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images