Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Indoor Gardening and Houseplants: Out from the cold

Communities > Forums > Indoor Gardening and Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Indoor Gardening and HouseplantsReplies: 4, Views: 89
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #8183742

I don't know much about houseplants, so I'd appreciate suggestions here. I realize this may be a common question, so forgive me.

I always put my house plants out for the summer. They always love it. It's now time to bring them in, of course.

Unfortunately, several of them spent the summer under the shade of a japanese apricot which developed a black rust which thickly coated not only it's own leaves in a black coal powder, but the houseplants underneath it now also have the same black coating. How do I clean them up? If the disease is really from the apricot, are my houseplants just cosmetically affected, so I just hose off the leaves? Or did the disease actually infect my houseplants and they need more active intervention?

Any help is appreciated.

Here are a couple examples, though not the greatest pictures.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #8183745

Here's a poor ficus benjamina.

Thumbnail by Weerobin

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #8184025

What you have is sooty mold growing on honeydew from scale in the infested tree your plants were under. The mold is seriously affecting your plants' ability to carry on photosynthesis, and the problem will be compounded when you bring the plants indoors. I'd use a solution of insecticidal soap or Murphy's oil soap to clean the leaves and then rinse well. Inspect the plants carefully for their own scale infestations as well, and treat as needed.

Al
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #8184120

Thanks or the info, Al.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #8184170

Sok!

Thumbnail by tapla

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Indoor Gardening and Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
anyone know how to root norwalk pines?? tom1953 4 Jun 14, 2010 5:43 PM
Ant's in my Plants! millertime71 9 Aug 26, 2009 6:53 PM
Houseplant Photos jdee 31 Apr 5, 2013 5:45 AM
Variegated Begonia Semperflorens mkjones 9 Jul 26, 2007 5:39 PM
A couple of silly questions... danak 9 Jun 18, 2012 6:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America