Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Come and Visit My Garden......

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 81, Views: 532
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #8183989

Its a lovely time in my garden .. Sort of between seasons. Lots of flowers still coming, some finished and everything very green before summer arrives and sucks up all the moisture.
The garden is now 10 years old . All the trees you will see except for a few gum trees, are all around 10 years old too. Most are seedlings from established trees.
I have Ash, Maple, Liquidamber, Eucalypt, Chestnut, Manchurian Pear,Melaleuca, Wattle, Geraldton Wax , nectarine, Apple, Peach and Plum trees.
There are lots of lovely bushes both small and tall. Natives blend in with others. Bottlebrush, Hakea, Viburnum, Forsythia,Correa, Blue Fountain Bush, Bougainvillea, Oleander, Eriestemon, Ceanothus ( both the blue and the white ), Abutilon, Japonica, Lilac,Cotinus, Grevillea,Magnolia and more.
I watered these larger plants for a year to establish, then they have had to do their own thing on rain only.
There are lots of other plants you will see as we walk.
Starting off at the gate , this is a lovely scene when the sun is out and the cream daisies are smiling. One the side is a pink hawthorn and a white eriestemon.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #8184000

First, around to the cottage garden. This is a wild riot of color in spring and summer with honesty, valerian, kniphofia, wallflowers, heritage iris, freesias, various colors in alstromerias, plus numerous other plants that end up in here. Its a bit more sheltered than the rest of the garden but still gets lots of wind and afternoon sun.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #8184003

Another view of the cottage garden showing the lovely cotinus along the back with a very large correa, abutilons and plumbago.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #8184009

Leaving the cottage garden , you will smell the lovely lavenders, The green on eon the right is very pretty. The arch has a kennedia nigrans on it.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #8184017

This is the garden in the front of the house, At the moment , looking a bit wild but growing well. It was a rose area but I moved them all out to the iris area because they were getting over crowded and not doing well. Now there are lots of bulbs , grasses, dutch iris and asiatic liliums. A small camellia sasanqua ( a bit hidden now) will eventually look lovely beside the bird bath. Lots of salvias along the path with small lavenders.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #8184023

Out the gate here to the orchard area. This orange geranium makes a wonderful ground cover. Ivy geranium creeps around and a cordyline sits with a grevillea.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #8184032

One of my seats near the rosemary border. On the left is an area of more grasses and day lilies with 2 strelitzias.
Along the right is a bed of bulbs with small kniphofias at the back with agapanthus.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #8184033

Going back out along the path near my greenhouses. More bulbs with lots of ranuncs etc. A lilac and two small viburnums.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
5:37 PM

Post #8184036

Now we leave around the house and wander out to the larger garden areas. This is my mess of succulents where nothing else wants to grow. Out in all the weather they do well.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #8184040

Going in the gate to the fern house and the epi houses. The purple flowers of the echium look beautiful at the moment. It has self seeded all over the ground around here. I have planted lots around other parts of the garden.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #8184046

Some of the epiphyllums. They reach out to hug me when ever I go in there. They are even larger now and full of buds.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

October 29, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #8184047

Oh My, Jean...what a lovely tour of your gardens! I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm just amazed that you have a mix of plants that I have in both my zone 5 gardens in NH and my zone 10 gardens here in Florida. There are so many pretty blooms and different textures. What a lovely place to be! Thank you for that lovely walk around your home! Are the white daisies in the first photo osteospermum with the blue centers? I'm trying to find some here now. I found them last year and they did beautifully here. I think they are very striking, as are your orange geraniums, not to mention every other plant I can see. Just lovely!!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #8184051

More of the epis and the bromeliads. The bromeliads are moving soon to their own shadehouse and the epis will have more room to grow. . Looking down , you can see the fern house way down the end.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
5:47 PM

Post #8184056

Hello Louise, Come and join me.
Going in the gate to the paddock garden. Look at th ever blooming purple native hibiscus ( alogyne ) The climber is an ivy geranium in a lovely purple.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #8184060

looking down to the grape vines , we cant go down that path as I usually let it grow during spring because it looks so pretty. There are large orange kniphofias with blue and white agapanthus . Lots of roses along with bright orange and yellow marigolds.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #8184066

Lots of daylilies and californian poppies on the right. Lots of clover too, but I leave it during spring as it doesn't interfere with the plants and adds nitrogen to the soil. On the right is a large rose bed over grown with species geranium and geranium maderense.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #8184069

We could go this way, but I think we'll go the other path. Blue fountain bush is the perfume you can smell. It drifts around everywhere out here along with the jasmine near the gate.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #8184076

Here you can see the lovely red Japonica still out . Asiatic liliums all coming up and roses. The hellebores are all just behind the purple leaf hebe.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #8184077

Some of the ferny geranuim jungle. There are roses in there and other plants which all seem to get along with the geraniums.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #8184083

Walk this way to the irises. The funny archway is just branches with a gorgeous climbing red rose over the top. It only blooms once a year .

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 29, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #8184085

Wait for me Jean, this is a lovely tour on such a wet day...
I think I saw a fairy on one of the paths...my eyesight is not the best and I had to blink, but there she was.
Hi Louise, isn't everything so pretty.
Dianne
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #8184087

A quick look at the irises. Still a lot to flower.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #8184093

Catch up Dianne. We are off down the path under the willow tree. this is a wilder area and plants can please themselves what they do and where they go.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 29, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #8184094

The Irises look fantastic, along with everything else...am I glad I visited when I did.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #8184097

Ther are lots of things growing down here. Nasturtiums run riot. Forget me nots, Acanthus, arums, wallflowers , erigeron and lots more . Nice seat for a hot day as the willow gives shade from the sun.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #8184099

looking up under the willow . Looks lovely now but very dry in summer.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #8184102

This is the other side of the path looking down to the neighbors paddock. Nothing much does really well here so I let things that will grow, do what they want. Lots of bulbs there and the watsonias just starting to come out.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #8184105

Another view under the willow tree.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 29, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #8184106

GTG, Jean, but I will be back later and I will bring a thermos of tea and a couple of chocolate eclairs and sit on that garden seat with you and Louise.
Dianne.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #8184107

Looking back to the back of the house from near the grape vines.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #8184112

Okay, thats the lot. We can all sit down and enjoy a cuppa now. I hope you enjoyed the tour and got lots of bits and pieces.
I am not going back to check for spelling mistakes as I'm too tired. I have to get hubbys lunch. Dear patient thing has waited while I did all this.
happy day. Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

October 29, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #8184307

Jean that was a fabulous way to wile away the afternoon. Everything looks very happy. I even saw a couple of cactus and a Medusa's head. Beautiful and best of luck with the show. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 29, 2010
8:27 PM

Post #8184350

Oh Jean ...I will come visit a bit later when I can have a good look!
I know I will love it!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 29, 2010
9:29 PM

Post #8184442

What a wonderful tour ...enough to keep 6 people busy.
I greatly enjoyed your garden ...a wonderful Country garden.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

October 30, 2010
12:01 AM

Post #8184505

Oh Jean, thanks so much for the tour. You have a wonderful garden. I would love to explore in and about the place for real, it is so lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Karen

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2010
12:04 PM

Post #8185237

Oh, wasn't that a fun tour, Dianne? I'm so glad you joined us for the walk through Jean's lovely, lovely gardens. My goodness, Jean...is there any plant you don't have represented there? I love the free-flowing nature of your gardens. So many pretty things to see, I will have to walk back through again. What is that purple/orangeypink flower across from the bench we sat on to eat our eclairs? I've never seen one like that. I know you must be tired...so thank you again. What a treat!
Louise
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 30, 2010
1:16 PM

Post #8185355

Louise. I am presuming you meant the winter wallflower. Most plants are that color mix but I do have some self seeded and cutting grown ones that are just purple or pink/purple. It flowers madly all through winter and doesn't know when to stop. It really should be cut back but I love the sprawling look. I usually cut back hard in summer.
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. I love my organised chaos garden.
brical1
Inland S.E QLD
Australia

November 2, 2010
5:14 AM

Post #8189893

Jean your garden is looking beautiful. Very much a relaxed flowing cottage garden...not at all contrived .Well done

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #8194886

So that's a winter wallflower, huh? Just beautiful! I do love your naturally flowing gardens, Jean!
Annabellaaust
Sydney NSW
Australia

November 5, 2010
9:16 PM

Post #8197000

Jean,

Well what a pleasure it has been to walk around your garden.
I must say that when you explain that "they do as they please"...they please very well indeed! What a joy for me and what a joy for you, your family & friends alike.
It makes me so sad for moi that I have lost what looked to be a smidgeon like your garden...sooo pretty, practical and colourful. I tend to like a bit of 'hedgerow and order' at the front of my home and 'let it rip' at the back and sides, (I am reflecting on what I used to have).
Thank you again for the stroll and the cuppa under the willow..SIGH****
Cheers
Anna :- )
Annabellaaust
Sydney NSW
Australia

November 5, 2010
9:19 PM

Post #8197002

Jean,
Would White ivy geranium live on my balcony? If so, where do I obtain the white variety and the botanical name if you have it? Have tried the nurseries, Bunnings etc around here without success.
Anna :-)
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

November 6, 2010
1:33 AM

Post #8197071

Hi Anna, welcome . If you Dmail me your address I can send you a white ivy geranium and bits of other geraniums and pelagoniums if you like. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 6, 2010
1:50 PM

Post #8197840

Anna, If Colleen cant send you any, I have lots of different colors in the ivy geraniums. White, pinks, burgundy/white, red, etc.
I find the white to be the most rampant, but they are easily controlled by clipping back when not flowering. i have chopped some back to the ground at times and off they go again.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 7, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #8200203

How wonderful to have entire swathes of plants. Admit it, Jean ... you have a horde of garden gnomes coming out at night to help you LOL
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 7, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #8200249

Cestrum, I must admit there are a few gnomes around the garden , but they don't work. They prefer to stand around and watch me. I do it all unless I need hubby to help when building a shadehouse.
This one watches the chooks.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Annabellaaust
Sydney NSW
Australia

November 8, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #8201855

Jean & Collen,
Hello there..what a day we had here yesterday on the Coast...thunder & lightening for hours..way into night...looked for all the world like New Year's Eve...so pretty but, wee bit scary, lots of good rain so at least we gained from the storms.Pity we cannot salvage this precious water. Hope that there was not too much damage in areas that received hail.
Jean, I do hope that your wonderful garden paradise was not affected. I finally persuaded my husband to take a stroll with me through your garden and although he is not particularly interested in garden/gardening, even he was impressed. His @-@'s were agog.
I thank you both for your offers, but as I do not know where Merino or Barmera are located will dmail info etc. once I figure out how to! (it is pretty obvious, I am not technically savvy and have a 'bitofatime' figuring out how to go from one place to another in computerland)...
Anna : -)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 8, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #8201900

I have the same problem with locations, Anna. I now know that Barmera is in SA because I've sent mail to Brian there so often, but I just can't remember where Merino is although I do remember looking it up ... just don't remember what I found LOL
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 8, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #8201916

Jean, I have one gnome. She's an indoor gnome, though ... wouldn't want to shock the neighbours' children LOL

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 8, 2010
9:46 PM

Post #8202266

Cestrum, I like your cheeky little friend. I only have a few around the place but I like them
. I look for the older ones that are really gnomelike. So many these days are too shiny and plastic.
I bought two nice old ones at the recent Trash & Treasure.
Look on the map of Vic. way down in the southwest .. We are not far from Hamilton.
Been a lovely day here . Thank you for all the nice comments about my garden.
I didn't take you into the shadehouses (7) or the greenhouses (2). Maybe I will do that later.
Jean
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 8, 2010
9:58 PM

Post #8202270

Ah, you're in Victoria ... you'd think I'd remember that, being an ex-Melburnian!
She's a saucy little gnome LOL
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 16, 2010
9:04 PM

Post #8216138

Thought you may like a bit more of a wander around now that lots more flowers are out.
This is part of the cottage garden where the alstomerias are lords of all.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 16, 2010
9:04 PM

Post #8216139

More color under the willow.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 16, 2010
9:07 PM

Post #8216140

Further in under the willow. Bees paradise.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 16, 2010
9:10 PM

Post #8216143

Behind the watsnias you can see the red climbing rose. Its hard to take a closeup as it stretches along for over 20 feet and reaches high up around 12 feet. I never cut it now and it drapes over an arch further up . I think its Moulin Rouge.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 16, 2010
9:10 PM

Post #8216144

one of the lots of pretty pentsemons around the place.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 16, 2010
9:12 PM

Post #8216146

The roses that are all around the iris area. They will be taller next year as I did do a savage prune this year when moving them.
They are interspersed with kniphofia, agapanthus and dietes

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

November 16, 2010
10:43 PM

Post #8216199

Absolutely beautiful, Jean. I so love to see Nasturtiums rambling freely. Not something you see often any more.

Karen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

November 17, 2010
1:18 AM

Post #8216239

Beautiful Jean. The roses and the iris must have been a picture in real life. Colleen
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

December 15, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #8262159

What a magnificent tour! Thank you, Jean. Not a turkey or neighbourly whipper snipper in sight! Love your garden!

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

December 15, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #8262163

I hope that Oprah toured your garden, Jean! That has to be one of THE spots to see there! I know she'd like it.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 15, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #8262588

Thank you ladies. It will start to look like the dead heart of the country as soon as the summer finally decides to arrive. Usually by now that has happened so its a nice thing to have it green and flowery for so long.
Jean.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 26, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8588108

I may have lagged behind in the tour but must tell you I so enjoyed my walk..like being at heaven's gate

Thank you for sharring!
gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 26, 2011
1:16 PM

Post #8588887

Someone check Betty's pockets lol ... or maybe she was just taking heaps of pics and got distracted.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8625584

How's the garden looking these days, Jean? Any tours afoot?

We've been traveling and I need to get back out there in my own garden and get it ready for a group of DG friends to come mid-July. Just not enough hours in the day, are there?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 12, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8626055

Louise, lovely to see you again. The garden will be open for a virtual tour later during spring.
Jean.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

June 13, 2011
1:55 AM

Post #8626906

Absolutely spectacular, Jean!!
It's almost a botanical garden out there LOL
beautiful. I'd love to see updated pics.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 13, 2011
10:19 AM

Post #8627749

I've once again enjoyed my walk, perhaps in another few weeks I could post a little of my garden..
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 13, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8628119

Thanks Lucas. You need to see the garden in spring and early summer when its a beautiful jungle . By midsummer, things start dying back and I leave a lot of plants to self seed which does look untidy. I am not one for tailored gardens , although I like to look at some of them. .
Bettypauze. Please post a thread with your garden pics on our Australian forum. . We all love to see other gardens
Jean.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

June 13, 2011
9:02 PM

Post #8628847

Jean, I can't believe I haven't seen this one. It was looking lovely at that time of year! Its nice to have the photos to look at when the flowers are dormant for the winter. Its beautiful. Well done!
Sue
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 13, 2011
10:56 PM

Post #8628987

Sue, a lot of the garden is sort of dormant, but there are lots of things still flowering . The very mild summer did not toast everything.
I will have to do a better tour later in spring. Hubby is going to buy a small video camera for me but I cant put a video on here. Have to look into how to show everyone.
Jean

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 14, 2011
4:25 AM

Post #8629190

Went back into photo's..they have the appearance of Novel covers set in Victorian days...do you enlarge the photo's and have them hanging on your wall..would look so wonderful!!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 14, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8630412

Bettypauze, I am an avid photo taker and usually have a file of garden pics every year. As another year comes up, I toss the old ones unless they are something I want to keep, such as a before and after photo of an area I have changed.
I keep files of all my flowers , eg.. iris, epis , zygos ..
I move most onto discs for future reference.
I have a lot of my paintings on the walls so no room for more photos.
Jean.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8634647

Jean, would you share some photos of your paintings with us? I'd love to see them!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 16, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8634667

Hello Louise. We miss you in the Tea Room.
I will have to go and search my computer discs for pics of the paintings. The only room I can use for painting is too cold in winter and the light is not good unless the weather is sunny. With the lack of a lot of summer sun, I have done none at all. for the last few years.
I will get back to it one day as I love painting.
When I find the disc, I'll make a painting thread.
Jean.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 16, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8634869

Lots in common, I paint as well..mostly in genesis (oils) lots of trompe l'oeil realism and mostly on furniture, some batique, some acrylics especially when I do floorcloths on linoleum...

Always looking for something to occupy myself at work..really should go through them and purge as you do..

Thanks for letting me walk your gardens and chat for a bit!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 16, 2011
8:34 PM

Post #8635279

A painting thread?
I would love that ...I would love to try and paint flowers if I ever get the chance.
I admire artistry and talent, but only as a voyeur, for now at least.
What about a craft thread ? so anyone can put whatever their talent or hobby achievements are, mind you many of our posters show their artistry in their gardens ...just like the one we have here at Jean's home.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8643183

Hi Jean! Great news today. The regional tech for our internet satellite stopped by without us even calling today. Apparently, he could see on his equipment that our modem was not working correctly. He checked our sight line for the satellite and identified a branch from our Chinese Chestnut in the way of our signal. He even climbed up and cut two branches down. Amazingly, no charge for any of the service or tree cutting since we didn't make the call. We invited him to have lunch with us, and since there are no places in our town to buy food, he was happy to accept. Win, win for everyone, AND NOW I CAN STAY CONNECTED WITHOUT GETTING BUMPED OUT CONSTANTLY. YAY!!! It was terribly difficult to connect on DG for quite awhile!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 20, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8643198

Congrats Louise. It seems there are still a lot of nice people around who help without asking for something.
I bet he enjoyed his dinner.
Now we can expect to see an update photo of the girls . Hope to see lots of your garden too. Come over to the Tea Room . We have missed you.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 21, 2011
1:55 AM

Post #8643941

Loise ...fantastic!!!!!
Wish our lot were as obliging ...whenever it rains we have problems.
I never thought about trees ...shhh don't tell my hubby, he loves cutting trees and shrubs down,
We are looking forward to your visits again :)
gardengal
se qld
Australia

June 23, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8649717

DonnieBrook wrote:Hi Jean! Great news today. The regional tech for our internet satellite stopped by without us even calling today. Apparently, he could see on his equipment that our modem was not working correctly. He checked our sight line for the satellite and identified a branch from our Chinese Chestnut in the way of our signal. He even climbed up and cut two branches down. Amazingly, no charge for any of the service or tree cutting since we didn't make the call. We invited him to have lunch with us, and since there are no places in our town to buy food, he was happy to accept. Win, win for everyone, AND NOW I CAN STAY CONNECTED WITHOUT GETTING BUMPED OUT CONSTANTLY. YAY!!! It was terribly difficult to connect on DG for quite awhile!

My goodness, we certainly don't get service like that here in Australia!

For any of you who paint, if it's of interest, the reject shop is currently clearing out huge printed canvases that are normally $40 for just $10. Easily enough to gesso over, and a fraction of what I know a blank canvas that size would cost.

Jean, I think we have the same table and chairs as you - picked them up at the tip shop a while ago for just $20 for the table and three chairs. I think we've spent twice that again on metal paint, probably not necessary given that they're not steel so won't rust, but we wanted a nice durable finish that would hold up to the weather.

Pam

This message was edited Jun 24, 2011 8:24 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 23, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8649748

Congrats on the bargain find Pam. You will enjoy it as we do in the summer.
Jean.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8721782

Well, Pam, as it turned out, despite the valiant efforts of the internet guy, we still kept losing our connection and I would write long posts, just to have them disappear the second we lost the connection. So, he actually came back yesterday and did some magic that has so far kept us connected, AND my computer works a lot faster as well. I was about to give up on DG because it was impossible to read the threads or post anything for any length of time.

Sounds like you scored big-time on the canvas find!! What fun!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 218 Jan 22, 2014 3:49 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America