-
AuthorContent
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 31, 2010
10:15 AM

Post #8186701

Are they getting smaller or is it my imagination? This baby is really tiny! The dark one is the crippled that I saved the other day.. I have a splint on him and he is walking.. I thought it was gonna die for sure.. so I found this one outside and brought the lil crippled one some company.. Lil bug it is!

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

October 31, 2010
10:42 AM

Post #8186755

How sweet: I knew if anyone could save the little one it would be you. They are adorable, I know from experience if you've never had any of these little ones you just can't know small and adorable they are. I tell all my friends they are (The thief of the heart) As much as I have enjoyed so many breeds, I must say I am just as in awe of these birds as from the start. I hope you hatch tons of them...Hay
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2010
10:58 AM

Post #8186773

oh how cute. Happy to hear them crippled one is doing better

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

October 31, 2010
11:09 AM

Post #8186821

Gosh, they sure are tiny. And so very cute.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 31, 2010
1:10 PM

Post #8187036

Thank you all. :)

Haystack.. I wrote this baby off several times.. it wasn't just splayed.. the legs were 100% horizontal.. it just wiggled on it's belly.. But I noticed it could move it's lil toes, so I thought I'd try the splint.. As soon as I put it on.. that was the last time that baby stayed on it's belly.. It's been standing ever since.. and this morning it ran!! It looks like it's doing the potty walk.. (pants around the ankles) LOL
I really really didn't want house babiez... but since they are the ones I've been waiting for so long.. cozy home it is! I'll just have to get a case of Pledge.. LOL (and ear plugs)

These are the lil Dragon style Serama babiez.. I sure hope they grow up to look like their daddy!!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 31, 2010
1:53 PM

Post #8187106

Poor Dad looks awful... everyone is molting.. He had a bad habit of fighting through the fence and lost part of his comb. :(
But you might get the idea of his conformation? He is NOT posing.. he is actually running from me..

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 31, 2010
1:54 PM

Post #8187107

This was a good day to take Chicken pics..

Here is Elvis.. He sings and dances

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 31, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #8187113

This is my little guy Clark. His wife Lois was killed by a predator when she had new babiez.. He is 420grams a "B" class and a real sweetie.

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 31, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #8187114

This is Tina.. the mom to the new babiez.. Chauncy the dad is above..

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 31, 2010
2:08 PM

Post #8187126

Here is one of my lavender girls runnin from the camera.. LOL

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

October 31, 2010
4:52 PM

Post #8187385

Elvis looks like a birchen, but I'm not sure with my eyesight. Chauncy is excellent with that chest protruding out beyond the head. Thats what seramas should look like. I like Elvis' color but I like Chaunchy's stanz. I'm glad a little comb damage has no effect on future babies... That lavendar is nothing short of gorgeous. How many lavendars do you have? (hens). I know Cajun has always wanted lavendars but I'm not sure if she wanted americauna's or cochins. I really like that color and I think I like the americaunas best...Just an opinion...Hay
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 31, 2010
8:35 PM

Post #8187754

Thank you Haystack. I always appreciate your kind words.
Elvis was solid black and just got that little bit of what was rusty color, but now is bleaching out.. He is a tuff guy.. (yeah right) LOL If you tap his tail he will take on anything in a fight.. LOL Looks more like a dance.. and he was chatty as a baby just like Murphy! Such a sweet lil song he had. Course, he's too cool for that now. :)
Tina is my smallest hen.. I need to weigh her, but she is broody right now, so she is no doubt at a true weight.
When Chauncy has his tail in, and not so scruffy.. he is amazing to look at in the sun. He sure has the body! I love him..
I only have 4 lavender hens.. they are sweet. I love Ameraucanas.. I love EEs too.. anything that lays a blue egg is special to me. Funny that my black Ameraucana lays the prettiest eggs though.. I'm waiting for her first daughter to lay any day.. That would be my lavender split..
I wish I could ship Roos right now.. It's a shame to let them go so cheap.. but this is a bad time of year to sell around here.. No one wants the lavenders!! Blows my mind. LOL
Geez.. I didn't mean to write a novel here.. just like to keep you and all up to speed on the latest.. :)
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

October 31, 2010
9:37 PM

Post #8187791

I'm really surprised no one wants the lavenders, they are beautiful. I love the tufts of the ameracuanas. I wished it wasn't so expensive to ship chickens. I would love to send seramas to so many but the cost is so prohibitive. I think I told you I have several shipping boxes but haven't used any yet, I want to ship some seramas to some friends but yikes the cost mounts up so quickly. Are you planning to eventually hatch more lavenders to sell and ship?...Go ahead write a novel I love reading about what your doing...Hay
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 1, 2010
7:52 AM

Post #8188282

No one seems to know what they are! LOL Also, it's a bad time of year to sell... the mudd is coming! It might also be that people are starting to think of holiday shopping..

To ship one of these would cost a fortune.. they are big and getting bigger every day.. I've had this problem before.. I'd love to ship them to friends, but who can afford it?
That's one big reason I started in Seramas.. You can ship a whole flock for the price of one Standard roo. LOL
I don't blame you for not shipping yet.. It is a major pain.. and now it's getting cold and we will have to wait till Spring before long.

I sold quite a few seramas this summer.. I guess I'll be stocked up for next year. :)

There is a HUGE show in Jan.. I wonder if I'll have anything to sell then? Hummm Catsy!!!!! Where are you!!!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 1, 2010
10:12 AM

Post #8188488

Where is the show? That would be so cool if you had some birds to take to the show, it's a great place to get your name out and what birds you raise. Outside of the state fair there is very little around here in the way of shows or swap meets for poultry or livestock. Lots of people with chickens but no one puts anything together. The seramas are affordable to ship I guess but when you couple that with what it takes to do it and the cost of the birds it's still hardly worth doing. I have had several requests to ship and even though I have the boxes I frown on it...Hay
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 1, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #8189267

The show is right here in the next town... I'm not sure if they even show Seramas.. it's huge.. there were 3500 birds year before last.. I couldn't go this past year, I was on the road. I will see what Catsy is gonna do too.. We have till Jan..

Yup.. I hear ya about shipping.. it all sounds great till it's time to do it.. LOL

AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #8189471

What does "class b" in Seramas mean? How many classes are there? Love the lavender, gorgeous color!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 1, 2010
8:09 PM

Post #8189563

Thank you Annie.. The lavender color has created quite a mix up as have Ameraucanas.. They are actually a "self blue" but a true blue has a dark head and tail.. a true lavender has no other colors.. I love the lavenders, and I love Ameraucanas.. :)

Seramas come in 3 sizes A, B & C It's their weight.. measured in grams. B class is up to, but not over 500 grams, which is under a pound.. I don't have any A class yet... those are dinky!! I'm workin on it though. :) Clark is my smallest Serama roo. Tina is my smallest hen.
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #8189592

Oop's just lost the post I was writing.

Is the Ameraucana a breed or is it an EE? Sorry to ask that but the only experience I have is with hatchery chicks and they call them both. I looked a few times and it's hard to tell but I think her legs have a lavender (blue/grey) color unlike the EE's that have a greenish tint, am I seeing her leg color right? She's a beauty and I love her munchie cheeks!

Thanks for the explanation. Wow, size B is teenie tiny, can't even imagine a size A, that's almost sparrow sized!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 1, 2010
9:15 PM

Post #8189642

The Ameraucana is a breed; the Easter Egger is any chicken that lays blue/green eggs, but it will almost certainly be part Ameraucana or Araucana. So I guess you could say the Ameraucana is both a true breed and an EE.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 1, 2010
9:25 PM

Post #8189656

Yes Annie, the Class A is anything up to 350 Grams, B as ZZs stated is up to 500. and class C is up to 600 Grams. Anything over that is not considered acceptable. However the Seramas do not breed true to color or size, so the largest bird can throw the smallest baby, and colors seem to just come out of the woodwork. I have had probably fifty different colors and patterns come out of four hens. Thats one of the reasons it's such a blast to hatch them. You never know what your going to get. I think ZZs would agree, every hatch is like christmas...Hay P.S. the class A's are so cute and tiny but the B Class is the best breeding stock by far...
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2010
10:00 PM

Post #8189677

Thanks, Hay! Sorry about the all the Seramas questions - but is there a reason the class A is not as good for breeding stock? Fertility problems or...? Are all colors acceptable in the breed? I have a hankering for some Seramas and they'd fit in a smaller coop too!! Just thinking ahead... LOL

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #8190090

Ohhhh ZZ your Seramas are just beautiful! I am working towards having some to "Crow" about too! LOL!! With all the help Ive gotten here and with a local person that raises them I hope to one day be able to show mine!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 2, 2010
10:04 AM

Post #8190405

Your questions are actually excellent Annie. I'm not sure what the pro's may say but my experience has been that tiny chickens lay tiny eggs and most generally the tiny eggs seldem hatch. I can't explain the scientific reason for that, I have just taken note of that fact. I have one hen that is just out of this world, her eggs are unusually small and out of probably around two dozen eggs from her, only two have hatched and both had to be helped out of the egg. Only one of the two lived and so she has no value for future babies. I love her dearly and would never sell her. She is pure white and most people think she is a small pigeon. The seramas come in approx 2500 different colors, and there is no standard yet even though some will try to make you believe there is...My experience has been they are excellent layers even though some will say they are not good layers. I'm sure Catsy and ZZs will add some great info and opinions on these issues...Hay

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #8190435

I have read that it's difficult to hatch the eggs from the really small hens (A class) also. I didn't know about the class size just that some were really small. I wonder why that is. I mean I know the chicks would be small but lets face it the world has lots of small birds flying around and they seem to hatch their eggs just fine. But they are not chickens of course. I used to breed the grass finches (originally from Australia) and they are very small birds but no problems hatching eggs.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 2, 2010
10:49 AM

Post #8190476

Well, it's also got to do with a tiny roo. It's a major balancing act, and a few yoga positions involved to reach.. you know.. LOL So if the roo is small, I'm sure fertility is a major issue also.
Not only is the hen tiny and since that is not a natural trait, (It's something that we breed for) there are probably hidden problems in even more than the reproductive tract. A micro or a class A bird is rare, and in all reality probably a mutant.. Seramas are naturally small, but people desire the rare and unusual...

I have a lot of experience with race horses, and the common term is.. "People have bred the brains right out of them" They are bred for speed... not taking into consideration bone structure, bone density, brains, endurance, confirmation, etc.. Just faster! The poor things have turned into running machines waiting to break down on legs not strong enough to support what we ask of them, and brains that are just tuned into speed. A trip to the back side of a race track would shock even the most experienced cow horse person..

Bugzy is from a tiny egg from a tiny hen.. (Tina) and only 1 hatched successfully out of 4 eggs.. I could have saved the first one if I would have intervened, but I thought it would make it out on it's own.
The lil brown one is from another hen that is identical but she is bigger.

I haven't had any luck in getting tiny adults from large parents.. but they say it's possible. All of our tiny birds came from a roo that is no larger than a B. Big hens also tend to throw big babiez.. at least in my experience.. I have a group that is small in size, but so beefy they are heavy! I am guilty of wanting to breed for size, but the vertical wing, big chest and high tail set are of a major importance to me.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 2, 2010
11:09 AM

Post #8190505

Wow.. did I have too much coffee this morning or what?? LOL

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2010
11:10 AM

Post #8190506

Well, much luck with them. They are really cute so I hope they breed well for you.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 2, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #8190512

I love what ZZs said and would agree 95%, where I disagree is not fact but opinion, The protruding chest is for sure important in the world of seramas, but I never have liked the Doll Parton look, I want my women to look normal...LOL. Hay Interesting enough is that my tiniest hen came from one of my largest Roo's. ZZs the roo is booker.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2010 10:18 AM
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 2, 2010
11:18 AM

Post #8190516

Screamin funny Haystack!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 2, 2010
11:19 AM

Post #8190517

Haystack, I found this picture of Dot when he was a baby.. Thought you might like it..

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 2, 2010
11:32 AM

Post #8190533

So adorable, if you had not told me it was dot, at first I thought it was murph. I have two of his babies right now and they both look just like him...Dot is an incredible and tough little guy and still is incharge when challenged...he is all man...Hay
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 2, 2010
11:39 AM

Post #8190540

I have to get on my old computer to find pics of them when they were babiez.. but this is a good example of how they change!
Elvis was solid black for the longest time... so was his lil wife..
I just went out and took pics of the silkied serama baby... hopefully it will lure Catsy back. :)
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2010
9:35 PM

Post #8191505

ZZ, I like it when you drink a lot of coffee LOL! Interesting information! Chug-a-lug and keep on writing!

I would agree with your race horse anology. The same can be said of breeding dogs, cats, cattle and so on, for a desired trait and the rest of the animal goes to h ell in a miserable hand basket. I've been around many horses that weren't happy unless they were frantically trying to impale themselves on something or someone.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 3, 2010
7:39 AM

Post #8192068

Thank you Annie! That is so sweet.. A wonderful way to start my day with kind words. :)

I'm sure it is true with all animals... I hope I don't contribute to it in the Serama world. I love the little ones, but I should be breeding only for correct conformation and a good healthy bird, and just appreciate the few and rare tiny birds that I'm blessed with.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 3, 2010
7:48 AM

Post #8192089

They say that the worst thing that can happen to a dog breed is for it to become really popular. I agree that racehorses have been selectively bred only for speed with no regard for soundness either mental or physical. (If it runs fast enough to break down on the track they retire it to the breeding shed - never mind the conformation fault that caused the failure!) However I still love TBs and ride them almost exclusively - great work ethic.
SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

November 3, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #8192770

Hello everyone! I missed you all.ZZ I love the baby pictures.I finally have new baby Seramas of my own and a bunch of babies from this summer. I havent gotten a scale yet but i have a little hen about the hight of a pop can.She seems to have great conformation too.I will get some pictures one day soon.I havent been online much this summer.Just too busy but im thinking now that its getting colder I will have a little more time.Good to see everyone again.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 3, 2010
2:02 PM

Post #8192775

Welcome back! Looking forward to pictures.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 4, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #8193904

That's cool Porkpal... it took me months to get over it when I first started swimming race horses.. There was a trailer load that went to the killers almost every couple of weeks. They go to the killers just cause they are not fast enough! I found homes for many, but couldn't possibly take care of all that broke down..
I had an appy named Double Burner that would have been a great trick horse.. I loved him since I first saw him.. and ended up owning him 3 years later when he bowed a second tendon.. He would take my rake, hammer, whatever and try to run off with it.. He would jerk the saddle pad off every time I reached down to get the saddle to put on him.. He would also stick his tongue out when I told him to. LOL How I Loved that crazy horse!
Welcome back ShEwOLFIE! I'm glad you got some Serama babiez! I can't wait for your pictures. If you aren't selling, I guess you don't really need a scale.. it's shocking how much they weigh when you think they are so tiny. I would have sworn Clark was an A class, he is just nothing to pick up... but he tips the scales at a whopping 420 grams! LOL Well into a B class..
Catsy showed me how to tell if the tail set was high... and helped me to see when they had a long back.. it took me a long time to develop an eye for a short back and proper tail set.. I'm thinking of taking pics to compare... and see if it was only me that had a hard time seeing that.. really, if you love em all, it's hard to see!

Good morning everyone!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 4, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #8194024

ZZs your so right, when your very fond, it's terribly hard to see the faults...I've had that problem with you...LOL Gotcha!!!!!!!!

Welcome back SheWolfie...I figure you were out there somewhere howling at the moon...LOL. Love the Name...Hay
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 4, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #8194078

ZZs I forgot to tell you, remember I just sent you a pic of my roo Starburst. Well yesterday I went in to seed all the birds and he was lying stone dead in his cage. I examined him and it looked like he just layed down and went to sleep. Nothing disturbed in the cage and no marks on him anywhere. I hate losing him as he was the only one with four colors like that...Hay
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 4, 2010
12:35 PM

Post #8194431

How very sad!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2010
2:09 PM

Post #8194612

So Sorry Hay!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 4, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #8194640

Oh I'm so sorry Haystack! He was so beautiful.. well, you gave him a good life for the short time you had him.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

November 5, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #8195522

I have lost two of my hens in the last three weeks,not a clue as to what happened to them unless they were wore out from laying as they are the sex-link breed and were three years old.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 5, 2010
7:30 AM

Post #8195662

I hate it when one dies and you never know why. It's always sad but the not-knowing makes it worse.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2010
10:46 AM

Post #8195970

Soo sad!!! Did you by any chance have a sudden drop in temperature?
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2010
2:14 PM

Post #8196296

I'm so sorry to hear that, Hay! Gosh it's hard to lose these guys. Who knew it was possible to get so attached to our chickens?
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 5, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #8196768

Hi Eufaula, No, no real change in temps and all the others in the coop are doing fine. The only recent change for him was I gave him two girls for which he appeared happy about, and they were mating and the girls acted as though they were happy to have him in with them. At first I thought maybe they had attacked him but there were so signs of that at all. He was just eight months old. Thats a first for me to lose one like that. He was very active and a beautiful bird. I know birds can have heart attacks and the such so I take it as one of those things that are internal and thats just the way it is...Hay
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2010
7:52 AM

Post #8197377

So sorry you guys lost birds. It's such a hard thing and worse if you can't figure out why. I lost a couple and did necropsies on them. One was snake bit but i never did figure out what happened to the other one. Makes you worry for a while that you may start to lose them all to some kind of silent killer.

Those SLs are laying machines. My Mom had a few that were 5 or 6 years old and still laying when she gave them to my aunt. They still lay for her too. LOL I had 4 of the BSLs and was anxiously awaiting them to start laying. Then the stray dog episode took place. Lost them all. Found 1 the next day with a bad wound on her breast. no skin left on it. I thought sure only a miracle would save her with a wound like that. I just knew infection would set in and it was right at the height of fly season. I put her in a VERY small cage and doctored her as best i knew how. Gave her a few doses of antibiotic. Couldn't find my chicken antibiotic so I gave her horse penicillin. I also sprayed her wound with "purple spray" and kept it coated with sulphuer salve. Long story short (if it's not too late :) ) I got my fist egg from Miracle a few days ago. She has healed completely. One of the other SLs ended up in my neighbor's yard across the road and i was able to catch her. Never did find the other 2 and some of my EE crosses.

Those Seramas are too cute. I think jaughnty (sp?) describes them well.
I have a small Bantam roo and a couple hens but they are way bigger than those little guys. My roo was bred down from a Blue Spanish Muff fighting cock. I have never seen another bantam like him. He has a rose comb. I'll try to find a pic of him to post. He is a cocky little rascal. :)

Are the lavenders seramas? I love the color, I wouldn't care what kind of bird it was. I understand the orpingtons come in lavender.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #8197395

Went back and looked at the lavender hen. She is a beauty. Is she an Ameracauna?
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 6, 2010
8:59 PM

Post #8198547

Yes, Cajun, they are Ameraucana. I have bantam and large fowl.. I really love em!

I have a new baby to go in with the 2... The mom laid eggs for days and days after the first one was already broody.. I could get babiez for days... LOL I hope not.. I don't want anymore till the weather changes and they can stay with the broody. I had to find out what these would look like though.. it was a question of keeping the roo or not.. which I can't see me letting him go.. no matter what he throws!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2010
9:45 PM

Post #8198568

ZZ how wonderful you saved that horse. He sounds like a fun one to have lol

Hay I am so sorry. I hate not knowing what happend.

I think the Sermas are beautiful too but no more room for new breeds. DH is going to blow his top when he finds out he is going to have to build another pen for the D'Uccles and Polish. I am going to use my grandsons swing we built out of 4 x 4's they never use when they are here. Cartoons, computer, and going out in the boat is all they want to do.
The Coronation, Lights, and Splits Sussex will be going into the Marans coop & run. Also plan to get some Speckled Sussex Hens too that will go in with them
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 7, 2010
6:01 AM

Post #8198902

Make a pen out of a swing? This I've got to see!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 7, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #8199000

Donna, Oh boy do I know what you mean. I have spent so much time and money building swing set's and club houses for the kids and all they want to do is ride the quads and play on the computer...Kids!!!!!!!!!But I sure do love having them around...Hay
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #8199038

[quote="ZZsBabiez"]Thank you Annie.. The lavender color has created quite a mix up as have Ameraucanas.. They are actually a "self blue" but a true blue has a dark head and tail.. a true lavender has no other colors.. I love the lavenders, and I love Ameraucanas.. :)

[/quote]

Ok Question here, I had some eggs hatch that were out of my Haystack a Silver Spangled Roo and my girls some were americaucanas and some EE.. One we named Grey as she was grey when she was born. Now looking at your Lavender, would it be possible that she is one?, not pure as she is a mix of two breeds, but I swear she is a spitting image of your girl. She lays a green almost mint egg, just started... I will try and get a pix of her..
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 7, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #8199057

As the lavender trait is recessive it is possible to have lavenders appear when both parents are carrying it - hidden by other colors. I'd love to see a picture.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2010
6:07 AM

Post #8200665

Haystack, Do you think that your Starburst was with his ladies long enough to give you some of his fertile eggs? He is still here if that is true! You may get a new little Starburst with another incu hatching then!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #8201695

I have a bantam hen going broody. I keep taking her egg. No chicks now!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 8, 2010
8:03 PM

Post #8202133

Now there are 3.. :) I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Struggles, the lil cripple.. The newest chick is the lightest color.. So I have a large dark, a medium light brown partridge color and a very blonde teeny tiny.. ;)
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2010
1:23 AM

Post #8202325

ROFL Hay. The one here is just a stand up swing, tire swing, and regular swing. But they got the one with Club House and all the extras for Christmas last year. I found great plans on line and bought all the swing items piece by piece over the year. In Nov. I bought all the wood needed, screws, nuts, and bolts and delivered too DD. Told her you and your friends will be building this for the boys for Christmas lol and handed her the directions. Save me $1000 from what they sell for at Lowes and is bigger and better. If I had quads they won't even be on the puter lol

Yes PP it will be a large A-Frame coop & run, you know like the chicken tractors but twice as tall. It is made from 4 x 4's not metal swingset. It shouldn't take me but 3 sheets of OMI board(chip board) because I want the coop wall to run to the ground to I have a dry area for feeder. 4' will be covered and 4' will be open air and 1 maybe 1 1/2 rolls wire.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2010
5:17 AM

Post #8202503

Scratch her being a lavender I took a good look at her, she has a black head and darker tail feathers. She has settled in the big mutt pen with everyone, now if she would start laying again, I would be happy.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 9, 2010

Post #8202927

Good question Eufaula, The answer is yes, I took four eggs from one of the new hens that he was with just before he died. They have been in the bator now for five days so time will tell. The problem really is that as you know they don't often throw those same colors. We'll just have to wait and see...Hay

Eufaula have you lost any of your roo's or has it just been hens?
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2010
10:21 AM

Post #8202943

MsJestr, she is a blue. I didn't want to pipe in and say she wasn't lavender, but I didn't think a lavender would come up at random.. The blues are just as pretty, and in some cases, more so.
So she is a beautiful blue EE and sounds like a real winner!

That's cool Haystack.. chances are good you will get one, and even if you don't... the genes are there and may come out somewhere else.
I got a Lois look alike from one of her babiez.. I'm so glad.. I loved Lois so much! Now she is safe and warm at Catsy's house. :)
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2010
11:38 AM

Post #8203065

Oh ZZ please feel free to pop up at any time... Oh Great wise Lady...

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2010
12:10 PM

Post #8203118

Hay, I lost the first three Serama babies within 3 days of each other when they turned 4 weeks old , last spring. So I m not sure if they were roos or pullets. Then two Hens to Predators, then the little Hen last night to unknown causes.
I traded three of my Spring hatch Roos for three new blood strain roos, selling one . That leaves me with two young Roos and one old man...( still the tiniest and the best). the old lady ( Chickopea) Who hasnt given me anything but infertile marble sized eggs since Spring... (Mother of the Three that died ) She is also an A sized Hen, which tells me a lot. She was I believe a show Hen, she is table trained and will pose, not flighty and lovesto be held, definitely a keeper , but obviously no breeder.
I have 2 Snow White baby Pullets in the Brooder, but I dont like their backs so far... look too long. Hopefully as they mature they will upright more!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 9, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #8203161

I have read that Seramas carry what was referred to as a "diluted lethal gene" which accounts for failure to hatch or death in the first 24 hours. I wonder if there is another that gets them at a later date? Since the gene pool is so small a recessive trait would be paired frequently.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #8203877

Sounds like Mareck's to me... or maby Cocci? Either way, it's terribly sad, and I'm sorry for your loss Eufaula.
You can loose them quick to Cocci when they are moved outside from a brooder. That is another reason I always put a clump of grass with dirt and roots in the brooder.. it helps to expose them a little.. I don't have problems with Cocci or pasty butt at all since I started doing that.

You are such a love MsJestr..:)
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 9, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #8203878

That is true Porkpal, even some that pip very small will sometimes die before hatch. Most that die before hatch seem to do so in the very last 2-3 days before hatch. After you examine the egg enough times you can become very good at seeing just what is happening. Any eggs that don't hatch I go into the egg to see what has taken place and before long you become really good at understanding whats going on...Some don't yet really know about the lethal gene and think they are doing something wrong but it's not what there doing it's in the genes...Hay
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #8203900

I agree to a point... I haven't had much more loss in Seramas than I did any other breed.. (in home laid eggs) The lethal gene is from the Japanese Bantam that was used in the development of the breed, and is indeed distant by now.

I am having problems with this batch because the hens started laying and brooding almost immediately.. I should have never allowed that. I know they need to lay a few months to get their cycle going before using them for hatching. I've seen deformities and problems in hatching eggs from a newly laying hen before. I will not do that again. If I didn't intervene this time, I would have lost all of them.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2010
10:05 AM

Post #8211105

Heres my little old Lady "Chickopea". Im afraid she is a waste of laying mash! Since none of her babies ever live and now she isnt laying anything but "marbles". ( Sorry didnt mean to scare any body----really bad photo)

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2010
10:13 AM

Post #8211114

So Im down to this Little Pullet, ( yep those are Guineas with her) and I have two too many Roos now! This little girl and her sister ( the one that died this week ) raised these two guineas from the time they were a week old.

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2010
10:20 AM

Post #8211130

Here is the Roo that will father every baby I get this coming Spring! I even have two baby Girls that are all white growing to add to his Harem!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2010
10:32 AM

Post #8211159

One thig about "Chicopea" She did make a fantastic Broody! Plus she is so affectionate! A great Pet!
Hmmmmm, I'm thinking about making a pair of earrings out of her eggs! LOL!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2010
12:00 PM

Post #8211273

wow those eggs are tiny

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #8211291

Donna normally her eggs would be the size of Quarters.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2010
12:30 PM

Post #8211295

Here is "Green Leg", I hope she grows out of this long back! So far she doesnt stand straight up at all.

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2010
12:33 PM

Post #8211298

ZZ and Hay , please post some photos of your youngsters . I would really love to see what I need to look for!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2010
12:59 PM

Post #8211337

Those look like parakeet eggs.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 14, 2010
1:48 PM

Post #8211410

Eufaula, I love that pic with you and Chicopea. Two very pretty ladies I might add. I have some eggs from some of my seramas that are only half that size. Even if she is only a pet she has great value. I'll take some pic's tomorrow and post the youngsters so you can see what I have...Hay P.S. that long back bird will not change and I would refrain from breeding her. Unfortunately she is a cull bird that I would only keep as a pet or I'd get rid of her so she doesn't accidentally get bred...
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 14, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #8211445

Nothing as cute as Chickopea could ever be considered a waste of mash!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #8211831

Eufaula that is one handsome roo you have there! He looks like just about a perfect size, is he a B? I love his confirmation, at least in that picture!! Super nice.

I disagree with Haystack here.. Yeah, the long back is not great.. but all is not lost, if she is crossed with that roo, you might get a few good ones. (If you are breeding strictly to sell quality birds, he is 100% right) but that is expensive and very hard to get started. If you are doing this as a hobby, and don't mind sifting through the culls you will get.. it is possible. I have that problem with the pullets I had, along with them being heavy weights even though they were small. I got Tina from a big and heavy hen with a long back. Tina is my best hen. She is by Catsy's best roo.

Edited to add.. This is Wilder, Catsy's roo. He is an angel and he throws clones.. LOL He is a small B

This message was edited Nov 14, 2010 6:43 PM

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #8211839

Pictures? You want Serama Pictures??? OH yeah!!

Here is Clark when he was a few months old if that..

You want a big chest, vertical wing and short back with a high tail set. This is a decent pic...

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #8211844

Here is Poppy.. a one in a million Silkied Serama that came from Clark (above) and Lois who is no longer with us.

Poppy is nice, but not great.. His wings are not up and down, and look to be a little short.. He is not a cull by any means..

(I am very critical, especially of my own birds)

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2010
6:33 PM

Post #8211849

Here is Rusty.. He was nice, but he had a low tail set.

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #8211860

It is very hard to get a "pose" from a baby.. you will only get a "general" idea of confirmation by watching them.. This baby is very young.. and will grow into his wings and get some chest later..

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2010
6:51 PM

Post #8211891

I also wanted to add.. Pullets won't pose unless they are threatened.. they usually don't show their true confirmation in a picture. So as far as photos go, a pullet CAN look real bad. Your pullet has a nice high tail set, in my opinion and I'd wait till she matures to make a final call.

And.. What I meant by not agreeing with Haystack that it IS possible.
In his defense, I have to admire him for advising not to breed something that is not going to give you a full hatch of saleable birds. I do NOT condone breeding for chance and ending up with a bunch of "culls" that are less than perfect in the chance you might get one that is a real nice one, cause someone who ends up with the culls will no doubt breed them.. Ultimately that is the worst that can happen to the breed.

Our goal should always be to better the breed.. BUT.. given the budget to work with, sometimes it can't be avoided that we have to work with what we have.

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 14, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #8211953

Seramas always make me think - "little bird with a big ego." I am surprised to hear that the pullets don't automatically puff themselves up as I usually see them in photos. Your birds are impressive; I love the colors too.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #8211975

They are so small. Must be kinda like raising pigeons.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2010
7:52 PM

Post #8211995

I take a zillion pictures to take one that I'd post. It is very hard to get a good picture of a pullet. I don't like scaring them, but the best pictures I've gotten is when I snatched them up and put them on a table.. Even then, it's hard to get them in a "pose". They would have to be trained, or you have to be real good at catching them in a photo at just the right time.

The more I look at your lil pullet, the more I try to imagine where her neck would end and how long her back would be if she were upright. The position she is in is the worst she could be in for judging it with my "less than professional" eye.

Like, if you were to tap the ground in front of her with like a flyswatter, I would bet you would get a completely different pose.

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 14, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #8212009

I can't even imagine ZZs disagreeing with me, but we do agree on some things. How do I know...Well we both have a Rusty the Rooster...even though I am sure mine is prettier...LOL...I will be taking several pic's of the youngsters tomorrow to post on here. I can't really find anything ZZs said that I'd really disagree on. I really do agree big time that the pose of the pullet is hard to get as the pose they are in is depending on whats going on at the time. The Roos on the other hand seem to love the camera and for the most part are very easy to get good pics...Hay

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2010

Post #8212443

Thanks you Guys , you are the best!! You are right about the little White babies.. they are only about 9 weeks old. I do feel that they both have too long a back but only time will tell.
they are both very skittish and do not like to be handled. I got them from a breeder who has very beautiful birds but Im sure he knew these,even at a very early age would not be what he wanted, so he sold them to me! I noticed when I met the gentleman how rough he was with his birds, (like pulling the poop off the bottoms of very young chicks, fluff and all, causing skin and probably vent damage). I would assume this would cause any young Serama trauma and fear of Humans! So Im taking my time with the pullets trying to settle them and get them used to me and handling.
For some reason this Gentleman has a strain of Seramas that are throwing mostly all white birds! They are very small and I saw several with almost perfect confirmation. So I was hoping to see if this would happen for me and I would get a white line started!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 15, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #8212453

LOL Haystack.. The ONLY thing I did disagree on was that she had a cull bird and shouldn't be bred.
So show us your Rusty Haystack.. I sold mine.. His tail was not Serama Enough for me.. it was set like a Old English Game and not a Serama tail. I guess that's what some call "American Serama" but I don't like the game bird look on a serama. I like a vertical tail.

I found a pic of Lois.. This is the best picture I have.. She is a youngster here..

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2010
7:42 AM

Post #8212648

Oh ZZ such great looking birds!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 15, 2010
9:49 AM

Post #8212850

I feel much the same way about the look that I want. Lois for instance, I like her vertical wings, but would like to see the tail a little more vertical...Having said that in another pose maybe the tail would look more vertical. The best pose' seem to be when we are not around. I believe our presence does change not only their pose but also their disposition until they are really settled in to the friendly stage...

Eufaula, unfortunately some people don't really care about the bird, they see it strictly as a money maker. ZZs spoke a little about what is the best thing for the breed rather than the owner. The time it takes to care for them properly without injury and trauma is well spent, and I wish there was some way to eliminate those owners who only see them as a dollar. It's okay to profit off of any product but when it comes to living things then responsibility and kindness toward that living creature is paramount...Hay

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2010
11:25 AM

Post #8213041

Yes I agree Hay! As for my two little girls, they will go around for their entire lifetime with no feathers at all around their vent area due to mistreatment by a thoughtless Human!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 15, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #8213179

Let's see some more Serama pics! I love Serama pictures!! Come on you guyz.. I know you have some.. :)
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #8213404

oh ZZ love the coloring. She is beautiful. I really do like blk & wht colors on animals.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #8223037

Such a sad sad Day for me today! I went to the big henhouse this morning to see why Natchez Serama and Tiny Chicopea had not come to scratch like every one else. I found Chickopea sitting in the doorway of the nesting area and making the most peculiar noise for her! I picked her up and she was shaking and baby talking like I havent heard since I got her when she was just a tiny thing. Then it hit me NO Natchez , anywhere not a feather not a scratch in the dirt nothing! I walked this entire 3 acres calling and looking for any sign! Holding Chicopea !
I began to cry... but Checked myself... I just cannot do that any more... life is life ..but it really gets to me sometimes!
I took Chickopea back to her roost but she immediately started following me making that pathetic sound again!
I looked over to a newly opened bag of chick starter and could tell something with a very big head and Nosed its way into the sack and had eaten a good bit of it...DOG... or Coyote!!! Would explain no feathers ... it just picked Natchez off the roost and ran...Which means it came while they were Free ranging and the outer doors to the Henhouse was open!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #8223046

This means my really best hope for the best of the Seramas is nil and void now! I only have one offspring left from Natchez...That would be little Sweet Tater here.

Thumbnail by Eufaula

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 21, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #8223093

No Noooo Nooooo Eufaula!!! Oh my gosh I'm sooo terribly sorry!!! Just makes my heart break... You poor thing..

I will ship you something when the weather is warm enough to ship. All is not lost.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2010
8:33 AM

Post #8223163

Oh no. You must be heartbroken. I am so sorry. Poor little guy.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2010
9:41 AM

Post #8223278

Thanks girls! ZZ you are a sweetie! Oh Rita Im learning that the most treasured are usually the first to get gone!
Im also seeing that everyone of my light or white colored chickens are the ones that fall prey the quickest! If Im going to have anything white they have to bee confined from everything!!
That makes me know that my new white Silkies that I went and got today( to console myself) are going to have to be in a completely covered and surrounded pen! Which means I ve got to get busy!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 21, 2010
9:45 AM

Post #8223281

Well my dear, even with these tough lessons, your gaining knowledge for the future. I hate it but out worst experiences seem to serve us best at how to protect our most treasured...I let my seramas free range also but in a limited sense. Your so right about the white and light colored birds, they seem to stand out the most against the green grass...Hay

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2010
9:49 AM

Post #8223284

It seems like every animal out there in the woods wants to eat chicken. We don't have Cayotes here and a very strick leash law so rarely do I see a stray dog although it does happen. We do have flying things such as hawks and owls and foxes and of course racoons and possum. Let us know how your new run making goes. Keep those little darlings safe LOL!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 21, 2010
9:57 AM

Post #8223295

I was just looking Sweettater, she is very pretty, in fact I recently purchased four that look a lot like her especially the hackled area...

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2010
10:50 AM

Post #8223368

Yes she has some very good traits from her parents! I hope to have some good chicks from her in Spring, Her mate is not a really good "Stance" bird but he is a very pretty little roo! His name is Carrot. Here he is eyeing little Chickopea!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2010
10:55 AM

Post #8223374

WOOOps that was Copper, these thumbnails I have to choose from are hard to see! Here is Carrot!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2010
11:00 AM

Post #8223376

Let try that again

Thumbnail by Eufaula

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 21, 2010
11:03 AM

Post #8223382

Carrot is darling! I think that will be a great match.. :)
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 21, 2010
11:03 AM

Post #8223384

Carrots & sweet taters? You could name the babiez stew.. LOL

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #8223389

Thats a good one!!!
If Chickopea had proven to be a good brood hen I was going to name her first really good roo " Hoppin' John"! LOL!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2010
11:26 AM

Post #8223429

I am so sorry Eufaula. I only free range mine when I am out side with them but it could still happen if I am in the Aviary. Would take a minute to close their door before I could stop an attack. I did have a hawk swoop me with Dudley laying on my chest one day. Thankfully I have seen another one yet or the oppossum
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 21, 2010
12:20 PM

Post #8223502

Lets see now: Carrots, sweettater= Stew...Hmmm...We've just gotta get ZZs of the juice...LOL. Isn't she a riot...Hay
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 21, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #8223771

LOL Don't ask me how they went together Haystack!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #8223800

Hey they are both root crops and sweet tater stew with carrots sounds gooooood!!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 21, 2010
3:21 PM

Post #8223861

Ladies I am building a new coop, ZZs will be put in an area where she cannot affect the other hens. Mesh will be used for Eufaul, Annie, miss Jester, and others so they can socialize. ZZs area will sound proofed so she can no longer infect the others with her craziness...ROTFLMBO...Hay
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 21, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #8224039

Fat chance you'd catch me...
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 21, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #8224045

It would sure be fun trying...LOL
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #8224303

You guys kill me!

So sorry for your loss. I know it hurts and it is frustrating. I have been very blessed to have lost so few. I have 5 free range roos and 1 on a tie chord. I also have 12 pullets in a pen with no top and have not lost any from predators other than that hungry stray dog.

The game cock on the tie chord actually killed a chicken hawk a week ago. The roo did not have a name. We just called him "that roo on the string". Could have called him Yo Yo I guess. But now DH is calling him Old Skeets. If you are a Jerry Clower fan you will get the significance of the name. LOL
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2010
10:00 PM

Post #8224535

If I am following this right, the rooster, Natchez Serama is missing and presumed gone for good. You wanted offspring from him.

Is it possible the eggs from the hen are fertile at this point? This subject was passed around not long ago, but seems the eggs are fertile for several days if I recall.

I remember this because a lady that bought a beautiful silkie hen was hoping she had been with a rooster. She was going to get her first eggs and see if they were fertile. Something I would not have thought to do.

Not sure your silkies are comfortable enough yet to be broody, but is that a possibility?

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #8224759

Thank you for your Concern LFJ, but no there will be no little Natchez' now! His only Mate is infertile because she is an A Serama. There is however one offspring from Natchez, little young Pullet and I am hoping to find her an appropriate mate this Spring! Her Companions as of now are a little heavier and long backed! But I maight get a Surprise and find she will throw beautiful babies...maybe even a little Natchez!
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #8226210

Oh Eufaula, I'm so sorry to hear that, how heartbreaking for you and Chickopee. Maybe now you can move her into your house?

Hay, I don't want mesh barrier LOL, we all want to hang out with ZZ, crazy and fun!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 22, 2010
9:22 PM

Post #8226362

Now I'm sad... My lil black/gold Serama hen is gone.. That's the second hen this Fall.. DANG IT! So now I have 2 roos wandering around eyeballing the lavender Ameraucanas ... I'm down to 2 Serama hens, and one is tiny and doesn't produce much..

Oh well.. It is what it is.. :( Hopefully one of these house chicks will be a pullet.. or 3

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 23, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #8226645

Nooooooooooooo, ZZ! Girl we are just not having any kind of luck with our Seramas. this has been a bad Fall for most of us I think! Heres my ((((((Hug))))) ! Hopefully Spring will give us all some wonderful Surprises!

This message was edited Nov 23, 2010 8:52 AM
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 23, 2010
5:46 AM

Post #8226677

How sad! Seramas are so cute but apparently also fragile, especially the pullets. There must be a genetic deficit some where. Best of luck with the house chicks.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 23, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #8226830

I hate hearing that kind of news ZZs. What happened to her? I kinda feel like a deserter, since I've gotten into the seramas I have just lost interest in the standards. It's their friendly ways that have me hooked. In my present flock I have at least seven or eight girls that are in the A class. Their eggs are dinky and infertile but they are so tiny and friendly I just love spending time with them. I sent for some new memory card so I can post some pic's on ZZs thread and they are supposed to be here today or tomorrow, so I'm hoping to get some pic's soon...Hay
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #8227047

I'll just enjoy your enthusiasm and pics for and of the little guys. I have to have eggs to show for the cost of feeding them. All these horses we still have are sucking me dry. Everything else has to pay for itself or at least contribute a bit. *sigh*
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 24, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #8229522

Well, I think it was a cat.. There are so many feral cats around here.. Seramas are so tiny, if a cat is sly enough, they are easy to catch.. It might have been a hawk, but I really don't know.. A cat is my guess.. There was a HUGE one out there the other night.

Catsy will come to the rescue probably.. She has some pullets stashed away.. :)
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

November 25, 2010
1:36 AM

Post #8229686

Oh ZZ I am so sorry. my cat only gets to go out at night for a few hours because she torture birds and butterflies. She can catch all the rats and moles she wants. I just wish she wouldn't bring them to me when she does.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2010
6:42 AM

Post #8229847

No cats here for that very reason. There was one stray here a year ago and it got hit on the road.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

November 25, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #8230678

Mine was a stray kitten I thought I could tame and find another home for but she is just to skittish with anyone else. My grandsons are in awe when they get a glimpse of her because it is so rare. Most people don't know I have a cat unless they see the litter box by the garage door. She is a fraidy cat lol. My other cat was 19 1/2 when we put her down 2 yrs ago yesterday. She never went outside until we moved here. Then she stayed on the front porch and ate my pansy. So every year I planted a flower box of pansy for her and DH planted her grave with them for me.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 25, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #8230711

What a great DH you have Donna...Hay
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

November 25, 2010
9:07 PM

Post #8230755

he is pretty great Hay when he takes a notion to be lol. He is most of the time ;-)
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #8231969

We had some barn cats at the other place and they didn't mess with the chickens. We got the cats as kittens and they were smaller than the chickens so they never saw the chickens as food. I really liked those cats. One got snakebit, one got hit by a car and the other disappeared. Little Bill was my favorite but Smokey Tom was the prettiest.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 28, 2010
8:01 AM

Post #8234264

See? Cats are no bother to full sized chickens.. it's just the tiny Seramas that are prey.. Well, I do know a cat ate my cochin chicks that were 1/2 grown.. but for the most part, the Seramas are at risk the most. I hate cats.. I can't help it.. I live in a place that is over run with feral cats that people feed around here, but they don't bother to sterilize any, so there are WAY too many cats here..

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 28, 2010
8:54 AM

Post #8234338

I am in agreement ZZ! I cant say that I hate cats , I just believe that they should be outside not inside and should be well fed by their owners as well and spayed and neutered! I was raised around barn kitties, that ate Rats and mice, and they never bothered the Chicks or Chickens , they knew the difference.
But Like you I have neighbors that just will not take care of their cats... thus I also have Feral cats. I lost 4 Maran, 3 Serama, and 3 buff O babies to them last year. This was after I had trapped 5 of the Suckers and took them to the pound!
JUst yesterday I saw a huge male Black Cat skulking around my house, coming from the direction of the barns. Needless to say I ran out back and counted heads!! All is well for now but I am also unloading the BBs in my little gun and loading Sharp Pellets!! Now Im wondering if it wasnt this giant Demon that took my Natchez Serama Roo!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2010
9:40 AM

Post #8234414

Cats are very accomplished hunters and if they need a meal, they will find one. And some cats just like the thrill of the hunt and hunger plays no part in it. Guess it depends a lot on the breed and the individual cat. I'll just say no to cats and keep putting out the rat bait. You may have to put out cat bait.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 28, 2010
9:30 PM

Post #8235329

I have two very large black male cats. They were feral when I got them. The largest of the two really scared my wife so I told her to leave it alone and I would train him. He didn't like her either...LOL. but I tamed him and his brother which is my wife's and they go into the coop and lay with the chickens, even the seramas, they catch the mice but never bother the chickens. I must say it took me a year of working with them to get them there however. Most cats will kill whatever moves just for the hunt, as Cajun said. If I see strange cats around I shoot (not to kill) and they generally never come back...Hay
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 29, 2010
9:45 AM

Post #8235976

There were a lot of feral cats around here. One by one we trapped them and got them spayed/neutered then turned them back out behind the barn. Over the years their numbers have dwindled but having a resident population of ferals seemed to prevent new ones moving in. They never bothered the chickens, but I have only large breeds.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #8236714

When we were at the farm we got a very poor cat that had been thrown out at McD's where my DD worked. We brought her out to the farm. She was a nearly grown kitten. She started killing the free range chicks even though we were feeding her. But she was not killing for the thrill of the hunt. She was eating them. I think she had been hungry for so long she just thought she had to eat while the opportunity was there. We took her to a friend's barn that didn't have chickens.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #8244633

I hope to get pictures of the 3 babiez in this thread.. The crippled one is completely healed and no one would know he ever had a problem! His legs were totally straight out to the sides and he was flat on his belly till I splinted him.. left it on for 2 weeks till he tore it off.. He is growing the fastest, and seems like he will be pretty big..
Then the white one in the top pic is a little pullet.. she is cute, and will be small, but not as small as the other roo.
There is one more.. and he is gonna be really small.. he is turning a bronze color with brown.. He will be really nice when he matures.. I'm guessing he is gonna be itty bitty.. :) I'll probably name him Rocky.. cause he can whip the big one.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 4, 2010
8:59 PM

Post #8244700

My best rooster pal Billy Bob has been missing now for three day's. I named him after miss Jesters little man Billy Bob. I'm totally baffled. He never came out of the coop even with all the doors wide open. He only came out when I brought him out and he would not return unless I took him in. He was attached to me like no bird I have ever seen. As soon as I would enter the coop he would come to me and dance around and then stand on my feet. I always picked him up every time I went to the coop, generally three times a day. He showed no interest in the girls, just me. I could do just about anything with him and he would never get down unless I put him down and then he would resist getting down. I don't know if someone came and stole him, or what? I have never found a body or any other bird taken. He simply vanished into thin air. My wife and I have searched for three days for him or any signs of him. I'm sick, really sick. He was supposed to be entered in the fair next year along with pic's of little Billy. I still cannot believe he's gone. He was so adored by everyone who ever saw or watched him. He was more than just handsome, he was an unusual bird that could be handled by anybody and never a flinch by him. Those who knew him would always ask if they could go in and get him. Of course the answer was always yes. He had so many fan's from the fair as well as my customer base. I took him to the Senior Center and they just loved it as they could all take turns holding and petting him. Billy is gone but he is one bird that will never be forgotten. This is his pic.

Thumbnail by Haystack

porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 4, 2010
9:24 PM

Post #8244733

Oh how tragic; I'm so sorry!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2010
9:53 PM

Post #8244749

That is terrible. I am so sorry. I would rather have one die in my arms than simply disappear. There is no closure like that. He is such a pretty boy and being so tame he might well have been stolen. What an awful shame.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2010
11:08 PM

Post #8244783

That troubles me too. Three days with no sign is not good news.

So, did he have the chance to leave the coop, but never did? Guess I'm trying to ask if it is possible he was outside free ranging when he disappeared, or was he always locked up inside?

Strange isn't it, how our animals become family members almost. To not know where he is, I'm sure is very disturbing, especially since he is your favorite one.

Reminds me of several stories told this year of stolen silkies. The people that sold me my pretty silkies, said they keep their chickens in a place where nobody knows. They never tell anyone where they are and never allow anyone in.

I sure hope he shows up soon. That pollice trained mind of yours is no doubt working overtime on this.

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 5, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #8244968

BillyBob was always free to come and go as he pleased, he and four gamehens along with two other Seramas were always together in the large coop and free to come and go. He was sixteen months old. He just never came out of the coop, he lived like an old hermit. All the others would be outside but he never came out. All his pic's are with me as he never integrated socially with any of the other birds. When I would bring him out he would never stray from where I put him down. He might move six feet in a three hour period. He was just not like any normal chicken. When he would see me or my wife he would just dance around like he was so excited. If I stood still he would stand on my feet. He would be on me all day if I let him. He just never showed any interest with any bird, (Serama or gamehen) He always wanted to be with people only and any stranger could pick him up. he never shyed away from a human. At first when I did not see him I thought he was probably off in a corner sleeping but the second time I went out I could not see him and I went and got my flashlight and could not find him. I searched the rafters thinking maybe he decided to roost which he never did. No luck, and I became alarmed and went to get my wife and asked her if she would help me find him. Three days later and many hours of searching,,,nothing. I always left the door closed cause it's very cold here, so I can't see how he could get out but he is gone. My poor wife is really upset also as she was very fond of him also. I'm gone a lot these days due to my work with the senior center and all my customers know they can come and go as they please, however I have no one that I suspect. I feel like terrible that something happend and I was maybe not there to care for him. I'm just baffled as to what could have happened. The not knowing is much worse than one dying on me. All I can do now is choose another to spend a lot of time with. Life does go on, but It has been both frustrating and painful...He was my BUD...Hay

This message was edited Dec 5, 2010 6:30 AM
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2010
6:50 AM

Post #8245005

You say he never roosted. Do you think it is possible that a stray dog got him?
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 5, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #8245066

We have never seen a stray dog here in fourteen years of living here, he was either stolen, or the only other possibility is that he did come out while the door was open and I was here and he wandered off and I did not see him, then I later closed the coop not knowing he was outside and then a predator got him. Those are the only two options I could come up with. The fact that I picked him up so often is what causes me confusion as to how he could have wandered off without me knowing...I just can't figure it out...Hay
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2010
3:17 PM

Post #8245713

I hope he miraculously shows up. It could happen.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #8245729

Oh Noooooooooo!!!!! I am so sorry Hay
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2010
4:15 PM

Post #8245805

After reading about your rooster, I went to check on my show silkies. They were doing fine, and I put the pink hair tape around the hen's crest. Wish I had had my camera, you could have had a good laugh. Had to wrap her up in a blanket to get the tape on her, and even then she kept trying to duck her head down into the blanket. Still NO EGG from her and she must be around 10 months old now. I have read that sometimes the higher quality the chicken the longer it takes them to lay an egg. Hopefully that is the case with her, but I don't know. Seems like it's taking too long.

On the way home I prayed for you to find rooster Billy Bob, or at least find out what happened to the little guy.

Karen

Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #8245833

This man online told me that he had this worthless uncle that came to their house once when he was a little boy, probably around 1940 or so. He had the back of his old truck just full of chickens he had just stolen. His mother refused to take any of them.

"Chicken thief" is a phrase that kind of brought a chuckle to me in times past, but it's really no laughing matter.

Before I met you guys I had no appreciation of chickens. I thought they were all the same, and didn't think much about them at all. Boy, that opinion is forever gone from me.

Many people on DG and around the world have some gorgeous chickens that matter so much to them. Some have spent a lifetime perfecting their lines. A few, like the lady with the Jersey Giants have had them passed down from a previous generation. It's no laughing matter when they come up missing or stolen.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #8245857

My big stocks are just mutts but they are important to me as I know everybody else's chickens are to them. I have learned a whole lot about chickens here and I appreciate everyone here who is willing to share knowledge. It has made my life a lot fuller.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #8245907

Oh Haystack, that is just heartbreaking! I have lost some that exact same way in the last couple months.. it's hard.. I still look for my lil hens. I worry about Clark every night.. and day.. he is so tiny..

Oh man.. I feel awful for you Hay.. This is so hard.. To not know can drive a person insane. I am so sorry.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 5, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #8245923

I would quickly give some chickens to anyone that was in need, and in my opinion a thief is a thief. Anything that is not mine, I keep my hands off of. I don't really believe anyone stole my bird, I think made some kind of mistake and he paid for it. I just can't believe anyone took him. It makes me sick to think I did something that brought about his demise, but thats what I really believe...I'm so glad I have lots of pic's of him and I together...Hay

This message was edited Dec 5, 2010 5:41 PM

This message was edited Dec 5, 2010 5:47 PM
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

December 6, 2010
5:50 AM

Post #8246487

Oh Hay so sorry! I know you have probably looked everywhere could he have fallen behind something or down into something?I know you have thought of everything just some thoughts from me

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2010

Post #8246506

Hay, ...I still hurt about the Mysterious dissappearance of my little "Natchez". He Like your Little Billy Bob seemed to care for people more than other chickens. the only difference is that he had his very own little hen whom he protected from all others! Natchez and Chickopea always segregated themselves from the other Seramas and preferred to be in the henhouse with the juvenile and teenage standard Marans and RIRs.
When the Young Maran Rooster started to crow I noticed that Natchez was not wanting to go back inside the Juve house at night and he and Chicky would go into the feed lean to instead and roost on an old hollow core door that was on its side there for storage. I would pick them both up and take them back into the "Ju-ve" House every night and have to place them on the roost and lock the hen house door. Well the night he just dissappered , was the one night I decided to just leave them where they seemed to be happiest. ...Bad move ... Natchez was gone the next day. I still blame myself, but cannot understand why Natchez and not both! for a couple of days Chicky would not eat but began to do better after I started paying close attention to her.
Now Chickopea comes inside with me every night! She is soooo small and doesnt get along with any other chickens . So she is now my official House Chicken with her very own Guinea Pig cage and roost! She seems quite content and will actually follow me inside to her "House" every evening. She stays locked up on my front porch with my little Chihuahua during the day , they never leave the others side.
I hate that you lost Billy Bob... It hurts me like it happened to my own all over again..so here are all my ((((((hugs)))))))) for you and Mrs Hay . It will get better and there will be other losses but the memories of a special family pet will never go away! E
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 6, 2010
10:44 AM

Post #8247012

Eufaula, thanks and I love the story about Nachez. Your so right, we do what we do because they are so special and their little idiocincricies, are so special. We want the very best for them and at times that causes us to make fatal errors. These stories are also a great part of what bonds us together and helps us to understand one anothers joy's and sorrow's. I'm so glad my friends understand and I hope i'll always understand also. I'm really glad as I know you are for the pic's that will always be there for us to remember them...Have a great day my friend...Hay
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2010
9:03 PM

Post #8252694

Oh Mr. Haystack I am so sorry to hear about Billy Bob.. I just dont know what to say...
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 9, 2010
10:11 PM

Post #8252724

Thanks Roseane, I have just not had the stomach to tell Billy about what has happened. I feel sick, everytime I go to the coop I feel sick inside knowing Billy Bob won't be there to greet me and I won't be able to hold him and remind him of how loved and important he is. I know I will get over it but I have never had any chicken like him...he just was not like any other and you'd have had to be around him to know what I mean...My wife was always amazed at how he was with me...he was like a person...sorry I don't mean to go on but i am still having a tough time admiting that he is gone...
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2010
10:33 AM

Post #8253361

I understand Mr Haystack I have not told Billy either. He has suffered loosing so many chickens lately, we lost Wren yesterday and I dont want make him feel any worse...
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 10, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #8253407

I'm here with ya Haystack... I have lost so many, or sold them thinking that's what I wanted, or it was best for them... and still look for Lois, or Snowshoe to come running to greet me.

I hope one of your others bond with you like he did. :(
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #8254007

It is so sad. Wish there was something I could do.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 11, 2010
10:14 AM

Post #8254653

Well, on a different note, the crippled baby crowed this morning! I thought someone slammed on their brakes outside. Crazy baby..
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #8254878

That's great about the little rooster Z.

This message was edited Dec 11, 2010 4:12 PM
porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 11, 2010
1:17 PM

Post #8254891

Happy to be alive!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #8255066

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad he's doing well
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 11, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #8255403

Here he is!

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 11, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #8255405

Here is the little white one in the first pic.. Not white anymore! This one is gonna be the smallest.

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 11, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #8255408

Here is the lil girl that was broght in after the two pictured above.. She looks a little like Lois.

So this is proof to me that juveniles all look like they will have a long back and it's got to do with the picture, not actual conformation..

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 11, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #8255436

I'm kinda jazzed, cause I think they are gonna have their daddy's big chest.. The "Dolly Parton Look" Haystack doesn't like. LOL
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 11, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #8255448

I like the "Dolly Parton look" It just has to be on the right hen...LOL...Hey you are we ever going to hear from Catsy again?

This message was edited Dec 11, 2010 8:32 PM
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #8255463

SHAME on you haystack. SHAME ! tsk tsk tsk

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #8255778

ZZ they are just perfect little babiezzzzzz! I especially like the colors on your little guy that was crippled!!
Hay you are a card!!!!!!
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2010
7:00 AM

Post #8255807

Yes, between Z and Hay, they have me wanting some little Seramas too. There must be something about the personalities of these birds that you have to experience for yourself.

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 12, 2010
9:36 AM

Post #8256049

Oh LFJ you are so right. Seramas are not something you can explain, it truly is something you have to experience. When I go out to my large coop there are around thirty seramas in there in seperate pens, and I never go in without great anticipation of seeing them. I also never go in without spending at least an hour with them. I was fully intending to sell all my birds this spring to travel but I just can't bring myself to do it. I just can't, they are so wonderful to spend time with. I don't care if I never sell any. I told my wife I will just have to hire a baby sitter for a couple months while we travel. I just can't let them go. I have one little girl that just talks in my ear, she just neve quits talking and she is so tiny and precious...Hay
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 12, 2010

Post #8256061

I can tell you I'm praying for ZZs cause it's going to be terribly hard on her if she has to give up all of her birds. She is such a natural with them, I adore her love for them and naming them is seemingly so easy for her, Me, I have to think for days before I can come up with a name and my dear wife is not involved enough to help me...LOL...Hay
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 12, 2010
11:42 AM

Post #8256200

Thank you Haystack.. I sold these 3 this morning.. They got a good home, the guy has been waiting since last year for the father of these babiez.. so he settled for the next best thing. I also gave him a pile of fertile eggs for his broody hens. (so they will have brothers and sisters ) LOL He was thrilled at how tiny lil bugzy was.. and the color on the big one was VERY impressive. ;) I'm so glad I don't have to worry about them now.. not a good time to have any added stress.

I don't have to sell everything yet.. but it's still on very shaky ground here..

Selling them cured 2 problems... That pile of eggs kept calling me... telling me my broody neeeeeds them to get warrrm... O thank you they are gone AND will get warmed up soon!

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 12, 2010
11:57 AM

Post #8256220

Sorry ZZs, just makes me laugh. I swore I was through hatching til spring, right! Wrong!!! I have six eggs in the bator...I'm not getting any eggs from the game hens at all. They just are not the layers the seramas are. Maybe it's just me. It has been pouring rain here for the last 24 hours, My front yard looks like a lake, thats a first in the thirteen years i've been here. If it doesn't quit soon I'll have to go buy flippers...LOL Those stupid game hens don't seem to care they just wade across the lawn running to see if I have food for them...Their god's are their bellies...LOL...Hay P.S. ZZ's is the duplex a go??? I hope so...
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 12, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #8256767

I thought I was safe till I went to gather eggs... I have a broody silkie cross, a broody Serama and a broody Lavender Ameraucana! Oh how I'd love to just let them all have a load of eggs!!

Nah, the duplex deal fell through.. it was for the best.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #8256855

I have taken my roos out of the pens with the girls so I am not even tempted to hatch anything. They needed to get their feathers back too. And I certainly don't need the added stress right now Of trying to take care of chicks with winter weather so iffy here all the time. Today we had rain, sleet and snow with a stiff, cold wind. But no problems so far.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 12, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #8256967

I want babiez...
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 12, 2010
9:39 PM

Post #8257056

Are we having withdrawls???LOL

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2010
4:41 AM

Post #8257299

...Empty nest Syndrome!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #8257619

LOL
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #8257666

Oh sooo empty... 3 broody hens with nothing to do... No lil puffy butts anywhere... withdrawls in full bloom...

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2010
9:09 AM

Post #8257757

What a cute picture. Love them when they are small and fuzzy like that :-))

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2010
11:46 AM

Post #8257970

With 3 half grown Cochins and 2 Serama Pullets still in the Chick TV, and now a Serama Hen in her own bird cage, I really am not in any kind of Chick withdrawal! As a matter of fact Im having a ball just Playing with these Characters right now!!
But I know... as Soon as Spring hits... Henobators at work or not... Im going to have Spasms if I dont have the incu goin too!
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2010
12:10 PM

Post #8258004

ZZ. so many good thoguhts & prayers going out to you, darlin! Hay, vacationing and meeting other DG family sounds like a dream, hope you get to do that. If you make it out East, I hope I'm on the list for you and Mrs. Hay to visit!!!!

It's screaming snow ouside, high winds, miserable weather. The chickens are all snug in their coop, we did end up putting up two heat lamps, the Silkie was too miserable without extra heat. They had warm oatmeal with garlic for breakfast, yuck, not what we had for breakfast but they loved it.

I'm desperate for a winter project. It's been a very scary month with health issues and I'm going bonkers without something/ a project to do. Need to occupy my mind and keeping moving. I'm thinking of ordering 3 chicks... Three babies could stay in the house for a long time, right? It's too cold to ship but Meyers is not too terribly far from me, I could pick them up. Wonder if they're hatcing this time of year, need to call them and find out. What do you think of the idea??

Who is incubating chicks right now?? I'm trying to catch up on all the back posts, ya'll were chatty LOL and I missed everyone so much!! Without even reading all the posts I will BET Rita has something cooking in her incubators!

I really missed you all a lot!

Annie
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2010
12:54 PM

Post #8258091

That is a beautiful picture Z. Seriously, it is gorgeous. Are there chicken magazines that buy pictures? If so, you should send that one in somewhere. Photography is one of your many talents.

Last night I tried to take pictures, mine were no good. Oh well, I'll try again later.

Missed you too AnnieB. Hope things are improving for you there.

As far as projects go, absolutely, do whatever makes you feel happy. I try to tell my daughter that, "Find something to do, and it really doesn't matter much what it is, as long as it is something decent, and you enjoy it". This is really important for young people, just to keep them busy and out of trouble. For me, it helps me not worry so much. Like you said, keeping my mind busy helps me relax. It's so important.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #8258137

I only moved the green and olive eggs into the Brower today for hatching so that means the Genesis is empty. Its going to stay empty for awhile too as I have house chickens enough for now until we can get some spring weather. Well, thats my thought at least for now. But then you never know if I might find another egg auction soon that I just can not resist.

I don't know if I had no chicks in the house now if I would be looking to bring some in for the winter. They do make a big mess. But then again they are lots of entertainment.

Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2010
1:22 PM

Post #8258165

Yes, after awhile they begin to smell and really do need to go outside or to the garage. imho Maybe with just a few it isn't as bad, but I had 25 in the house. They started hopping out of the box and messier and messier. I knew when it was time.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 13, 2010
3:11 PM

Post #8258361

- And then there's the "chicken dust" that ends up all over everything...
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #8258715

Annie!!!!! Thank you for the kind words.. these are some hard times... but I have a lot to be thankful for. Bless you. ;)

L_F_J You make me smile so big.. Thank you!!! Speaking of taking pictures, I wanted to sell pictures of my flowers a few years ago.. I love taking pictures!!

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #8258726

Speaking of pics. Did you know you can get photo paper for your printer that looks like canvas? It makes the pics look like they were painted on canvas. I wanted to do some for Christmas and find some old frames at the thrift store for them. But I couldn't find any frames. Bet that would look really nice for flower pics.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 13, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #8258752

Hey Rita, I'm small and fuzzy...

Annie, Annin. You can't know how much you have been missed. It is so so so good to hear from you. You really had me worried, I'm so tickled your here...WOW what a pick-up. This has been such a great day. I was so depressed not hearing from you Annie. Also I just want you to know EVERYBODY I have six babies in the bator with only eighteen day's left...LOL...We are gonna have babiez, did you heart that ZZs...Babiez...ROTFL...Thank the Lord your feeling better Annie...Hay
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 13, 2010
6:35 PM

Post #8258759

I must admit that is one great pic ZZs. Did you know I'm having babiez, taunt, taunt, taunt...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #8258762

Hay, it is hard to keep up with your plans. One day you are selling out and traveling the world. Now you are incubating more chicks! Dare i say you sound like a fickle pickle. LOL
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #8258825

What beautiful flowers! Their name escapes me.. brugs? Wish they grew in this zone, I'd plant a ton of them!

Hay, I'm going to have to live through all of you incubating eggs, Meyers doesn't have any chicks available until the end of February. I keep thinking my Silkie girl will go broody, she's 9 months old and hasn't thought about it yet. If she does I'll be a bidding fool on ebay LOL. Last week she chased off a big crow in the yard, she's small but mighty. Poor chickens, they've had one day out of the coop in the last week, they just freak out about the snow and refuse to dip their dainty toes in it.

Ok, guess I'll have to find another project or go stir crazy. Last winter I bought daylilies for spring delievery, every week I bought so many I had to get a flower & garden program and organized all the names with their pictures and stakes to identify them when they finally got planted. I'm going to continue the search for a used shed to turn into a coop. I need more chickens LOL In 4 1/2 months the weather will start to get nice again! It's just so good to "see" you all again!!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2010
9:06 PM

Post #8258960

No, I didn't know that Cajun! Great news! I've got some things I'd love to see on a canvas type.. Thank you!

Haystack... I have 3 broody hens... you better stop it or I'm gonna use my kid's Christmas money on eggs! LMBO
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 13, 2010
9:43 PM

Post #8258987

No Cajun I'm not a fickle pickle, I'm going to do some traveling. Two month of it. I totally intended to sell all my birds, seriously, but the next day I went in to see them and I just can't do it. So I'm going to hire a lady who will watch over them every day, twice a day for that two month period. She has been doing this for a living and lives only about eight blocks from us. She does horses, dogs, cats, chickens, pigs etc. This is what she does and her prices are very fair. I just can't get rid of them, there under my skin...Hay
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2010
10:03 PM

Post #8258993

Off topic, but what makes this bird worth $180 ? Doesn't look very special to me, so what am I not understanding?

http://www.oakridgegamefarm.net/auction/Sweater-as-bred-by-Pulquin-Game-Farm,name,205891,auction_id,auction_details

It's a site for game birds auctions.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2010
10:23 PM

Post #8259014

Glad you stayed hay, it wouldn't be the same here without you. How you remember everyone on here and what they say is amazing. I can't do it.

Are you going to get online as you travel too? If you come close to Amarillo let me know, maybe we can meet somewhere and have dinner.

So tell me, is it against DG rules for me to post a site like the one I just did? Nobody else seems to post anything like that, so I guess it is against policy.

I just saw a beatiful rooster I wanted to post a site to, but resisted. He was so pretty, talk about colors. Oh my!
jscruggs
Newborn, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #8259311

Hi all! If anyone is interested, the Serama Council of North America has their own website that is full of good info on these birds...including the 'standards'. I am attaching a blank score card from a show so everyone can see how they are scored. Unless a bird is overweight it really makes no difference if you have A, B, or C class sizes. Each class is scored separately and the reserve and grand champions can come from any of the three weight classes. I have the best luck letting the hens hatch the eggs...like 95 percent hatch rate. I started out trying to incubate them and had about 50 percent hatch rate...sometimes worse. They are peculiar in that the smaller the bird, the worse they tend to fare with regard to heartiness...but some small ones do just fine. I generally try to keep B class birds as they can produce A, B, and C class offspring...they also tend to be the easiest keepers.

Thumbnail by jscruggs

jscruggs
Newborn, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2010
6:37 AM

Post #8259372

Here is one of my breeding roos.

Thumbnail by jscruggs

jscruggs
Newborn, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #8259376

Here is my other breeding roo...

Thumbnail by jscruggs

jscruggs
Newborn, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2010
6:41 AM

Post #8259385

...and my best hen...but she lays marble sized eggs that have no yolk...or either 'normal' sized eggs with no shell...I have received about 3-4 good eggs from her and managed to get a daughter out of her that looks identical to her in markings...but not quite as good conformation wise. She is the sweetest one I have and would much rather be held than with other chickens...when I open her cage door, she will jump up on my hand wanting me to take her out.

Thumbnail by jscruggs

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2010
6:42 AM

Post #8259387

LFJ, That is a game chicken. A Grey Legged Hatch if I don't miss my guess. I have 2 hens and a roo of that same breed. Those are being sold to breed fighting chickens. People bet on the fights and that is why they are so expensive. It is illegal in all 50 states. That is why the seller has put that disclaimer on his auction but his buyers know the "code". The hens are rather nondescript but the roos are beautiful. Here is one of my roos. He is only 3/4 game.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #8259393

Beautiful birds. They look like little soldiers.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2010
7:35 AM

Post #8259502

JS, those are very nice. Thank you for sharing your pictures. What I've noticed about them is that they look like they are wearing long trousers when the side view is taken. They are very distinguishing looking.

Thank you Cajun. Yes, that clears up the mystery. So when they use the word "game" that means they are fighting birds? So that very plain looking hen can hatch out some mighty fine looking fighting roosters. Makes sense now.

I have mixed feelings about roosters fighting for sport. My tendency is always to favor freedom for the individual, but there are always limits to that freedom. Okay, I'm going to say something a little bit political, but it does fit this conversation. I was just thinking how much should we value a bird's life. Like do we put the value on it as much as we would value a human being? Some animals rights people would say "yes". Maybe a bird is a bird and has the "right" to fight if he wants to, which is natures way. Does it strike anyone as strange that cock fighting is illegal in all 50 states, but abortion is legal? Don't answer or we will be in a political discussion, but it does strike me as odd.

We are a funny bunch of people. I will eat chicken that a factory has killed, but shiver at the thought of killing one myself. We need to get our minds right.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2010
7:51 AM

Post #8259524

I love animals as much as the next person but there are animal rights groups that just go too far. I don't look at cock fighting as a sport or a ligitimate business. IMHO it is exploitation of a living creature. It is true you cannot make a rooster fight. If he is not "game" he will not fight. But to put him in a ring and require him to fight for his life is inhumane and wrong in my book. If 2 roos fight in the yard that is nature but if I know they will fight to the death it is irresponsible of me to allow it to happen. I am certainly for individual rights but I do not think they supercede right to life. I feel the same way about abortion. Convenience should not overide life. I kill and eat my roosters. They live well here until they are harvested.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 14, 2010
7:53 AM

Post #8259531

Thanks for the info JS. We, or I am a member already. You have some good looking birds.

L_F_J Those birds are worth a lot for the money they make.. Kinda like race horses.. the value is incredible. An owner of a winning bird can make a LOT of money. Like enough for a down payment on a house! Yes, it's illegal, and it's horrible what they do to those birds, but it has been around for years, and will be... nothing we can do about it. But yes, so many things spark questions.. it's just that so many people interpret things differently and have different beliefs, so there is no way for everyone to agree. We can just believe what works for us and hope to help others along the way.

There is nothing wrong with that post.. you don't seem to be promoting their sales. LOL I'd think it would be against the rules if you were soliciting for them... or promoting your own sales in a forum.

Cajun, I really love the look of game birds.. that one is amazing! I also like their temperament with people. :) The ones I've had any experience with are mellow.. as long as there are no other roos.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2010
7:58 AM

Post #8259537

They are easy to handle as a rule. Cross breeding them is not a good idea as they tend to be harder to handle. The one in the pic I posted is a bit snarky at times. I still have the upper hand on him but have threatened to kill him on numerous occassions. ;)
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2010
8:41 AM

Post #8259612

He is a real beauty!

Raising chickens for fighting and gambling is not something I'd want to be involved in. I would love to have some just to look at though. Gorgeous.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #8259681

jscruggs...Awesome Birds!!!!!
I have one or two Cross breed Roos that will definitely go into Freezer Camp. My BLRWyandotte produced some fine babies with my Buuf Orp girls. The offspring have out grown their Mothers and are heavier than both Parents! I am hoping the Pullets will lay Enormous eggs and the Roos will have plenty of gravy and dressing served with them!!!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2010
9:56 AM

Post #8259739

Haystack you are a hoot but certainly not so small LOL!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2010
11:51 AM

Post #8259953

Okay I am one lucky lucky girl!!!!!! I just spoke with jscruggs...HES A NEIGHBOR...Yaaaaay! I get to go and visit with him this afternoon and adopt his babies that are on "Freezer Camp" row! Yippppeeeeee! Thanks John!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 14, 2010
12:45 PM

Post #8260028

Oh Eufaula that really sucks, I want to go with you. Some things just are not right...Hay
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2010
12:45 PM

Post #8260029

I imagine seramas don't take up much space in the freezer.

I don't raise game chickens for fighting. I had some very expensive birds given to me by somebody who does. That is why I have them and wish I didn't. The roos all have to be kept seperate or most will end up dead. It's a pain. But they are very pretty birds. The hens lay nice sized eggs but not regularly like big stock hens do. They are pretty good broody hens and you DON'T mess with their chicks. LOL I have 2 pullets and 2 hens. The pullets are both gentle and the hens are both flighty. No rhyme or reason since the pullets are the offspring of the hens. The hens were grown when I got them and may not have been handled. I hatched the pullets in my bator and have handled them a good bit. Could be the difference. But I reiterate I do NOT fight chickens. I fight with them sometimes. :)

Here is a pic of that same roo when he was a chic.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 14, 2010
12:53 PM

Post #8260039

Hey Jscruggs: Glad you joined us, welcome to the forum...I raise seramas and agree with you totally. I'm really not interested in showing so I pretty well stick with seramas as a pet. They are fun little birds and I normally get about seventy % hatch rate with the incubator. I do a lot of staggared hatches therefore I like the incubator. Have a great day and thanks for the Pic's...Haystack
jscruggs
Newborn, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #8260253

Hay,
I'm not really into showing them either...my 9 year old was, but now he is more into hunting...but come spring he will probably want to go back to a show or two. I think my incubator failure rate is primarily due to humidity problems. Many of my chicks would die upon pipping...too much moisture. I got sick of losing them and sick of tinkering with the incubator (had I bought a Hovabator Genesis I don't think I would have any problems)...but I had a sub-par incubator...and got sub-par results. Anyway, it is too easy for me to just collect 8 or so and stick them under a hen who wants to sit on them...I might try the Genesis this spring if I get everything else here squared away. We essentially moved into our remodeling project Not only was the house deplorable, but the yard was literally a mud lot. It had one single tree in the front and on in the back...and now that we are here is seems we are getting less done than when we weren't here. If for some reason this spring a miracle happens and everything here on the inside is done, this garage full of landscaping plants get in the ground, and my vegetable garden doesn't consume my every spare minute, I will have more time for playing with my chickens. I know of people who have your success rate with the incubators, but so far, my bator' is half empty. :)

This message was edited Dec 14, 2010 6:24 PM
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 14, 2010
4:01 PM

Post #8260300

JS, I hope you'll stick around, you sound like the kind of guy I would really enjoy talking with. Keep us posted on what your doing and thanks so much for your response. I hear you'll be visited by our very own EUFAULA, she is one wonderful lady and I hope the two of you have a great visit. I agree with you that the incubator makes a big difference, I had a Little Giant and I hated it. I have a Hovabator and also a Brinsea, I really like both of them very much...Hay
jscruggs
Newborn, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #8260426

Hay,
I enjoyed Eufaula's visit and sent 8 chickens home with her...she might be cursing me later. If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their butt when they hop, but if I'd had more time before the arctic circle moved down here, I'd already have my chicken house rebuilt and had more room to keep them safe, sound, and snug this winter. She was excited about getting them and I was more than glad to give them to a good home. Anyway, my son wasn't real excited about his babies coming down with an ever-so-slight touch of death. :)
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #8260484

Don't you just hate when life gets in the way? Happened to us this year. We moved here a year ago in August and had big plans for Spring. But DH got sick in May and since then it has been one health problem after another. Cost us our whole year. Now we are into winter again and nothing is any better than last winter. And yes, I would like a little cheese with that whine. LOL

This is the hill I have to climb everyday feed and water my chickens and pick up my ONE egg. But I love my girls. Got all the stuff to build a pen down the hill but couldn't get it done. Maybe next Spring.

I sure hope you are able to get all your projects finished so you can enjoy your chickens.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 14, 2010
6:33 PM

Post #8260638

JS I knew you'd enjoy Eufaula, she is just one of the best...So the Artic has moved into Ga...Huh. We had it earlier with -4 temps which is about 20 degrees colder than normal for us. I lost about a doz of my seramas even with four heat lamps going. The water was still freezing within an hour of changing it and heat lamps going. I still have around forty five left but I hate loosing them...Hay

Thats quite a hill, especially with that snow on it...my biggest concern is with you hurting yourself and no one there to help you. Managine that hill on your own is not a good idea Cajun. Please be very careful...Hay
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 14, 2010
6:35 PM

Post #8260645

Eufaula! I hope it's Serama babiez you got to bring home! I felt so bad for you loosing yours.

JS I'm so glad you got to visit/enable another DGr.. That is just soooo fun! I've been on DG for quite some time now. Last year I got to meet a few DGrs and wow was that fun! I hope to get to meet Mr Haystack when he travels.. I'm ZZ the Serama nut and well.. Modern Game, Lavender Ameraucana and a few others that I fancy.. I agree with you about incubating.. Since I got a really good broody, I'm sold!! No more incubating for me.. I'm in the process of moving, and I boxed up almost all my "chick intensive care" stuff and it's goin in storage.

Even though I'm done with bators.. I'm in a pretty severe chick withdrawl right now.. LOL I need another pen and it's ON I've got 3 hens broody right now and it's soooooo tempting! Haystack is no help either. LOL

Welcome to the forum... I sure hope you post a lot of pictures. ;)
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2010

Post #8260884

No Babies in this corner of the world... and no one better egg Billy on... we will wait till the spring (Feb) where we can be confident the bator will do its job. Our weather is fluctuating way to much and if I forget to leave the heater on while I am at work it gets too cold in here... And NO WHISPERING to Billy Mr Haystack or you either ZZ..

Welcome JS
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 14, 2010
9:33 PM

Post #8260887

Aww you wouldn't turn Santa away if he fills Billy's stocking with fertile eggs would you? LMBO
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2010
9:33 PM

Post #8260888

Besides Billy is holding out for some Araucana eggs... That will be our special hatch..
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2010
9:34 PM

Post #8260889

LOL Santa better not
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

December 15, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #8261130

Cajuninky I would be whinning a lot more than you if I had to climb that hill for ONE EGG to.I hope you have those spikey things to put on the bottom of your boots,I have to use them in the winter or I would be on my hinny a lot.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 15, 2010

Post #8261210

ZZs: Santa Clause is comming to town, look what I found in my incubator. My Bad...LOL

Thumbnail by Haystack

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 15, 2010
6:05 AM

Post #8261213

And this is what I found in my Brooder...TEASE...LOVE YOU DARLING...oop's next pic below

This message was edited Dec 15, 2010 6:07 AM
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 15, 2010
6:09 AM

Post #8261221

Brooder:

Thumbnail by Haystack

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 15, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #8261379

I'm tellin Santa on you Haystack

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #8261396

Hey everyone!!! Im telling you right now that Jscruggs is a sweetheart and A Cutie Patootie too! LOL!!! I have some really beautiful Seramas, I could not be happier if I had bought them off the Winning docket in the Serama Classics , instead of rescuing them from Freezer Camp!!
Here are a couple of quickie photos take in the chill if a 20 degree afternoon as they sat in their transport cage!
I will have better photos later today, as soon as I can figure whether its going to snow here or rainnn...the weather man says we will be back into the 60's again tomorrow, hoping hes right!! Then I will be able to get my new babies all settled into their new coops! Thanks again John, and its going to be so nice having you here with us all! ( ...and a neighbor to boot!)

Thumbnail by Eufaula

porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 15, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #8261401

What a beautiful bird!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2010
7:54 AM

Post #8261422

You made out like a bandit. He's a looker for sure.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #8261441

Here he is again with a better view, ...jscruggs maybe can give us a better description so I can keep my new babies straight! It was getting so cold yesterday and we were in a hurry to get in out of the cold and me and the brood back home again!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #8261450

These are the two Hens I put in with Roo #1, they were not happy about being bothered in this cold and refused to stand for me! Believe me though they are sooooo pretty and have the most beautiful upright stance!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2010
8:07 AM

Post #8261459

Roo #2and Hen #3

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #8261462

Roo#3 and My Sweet'Tater...( I just had to introduce them, and she fell immediately in love)

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #8261468

Roo #4 ( who looks like Roo #2, only a bit taller) and Hen #4

Thank You Hay for saying such sweet words about me! But I do feel like the Bandit that Caj says I made out like! Im such a happy camper...with Freeze Camp rejects!! LOL!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2010
8:15 AM

Post #8261472

I just love the way thy stand up so straight withe their chests all poked out.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2010
8:16 AM

Post #8261474

Do they come in blue and lavender?

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2010
8:40 AM

Post #8261512

Cajun I just do not know that Ive ever seen any in those colors. All I know is that you never know what you are going to get Color wise they never seem to breed true back to their parents coloration! Even though I have met a gentleman that swears all his white breed true. But the just do not have a Serama Stance at all! I believe they are definitely innerbred with something else! They are very tiny but long backed and more horizontal not vertical! I have two of his baby pullets.
But lavenders... Heeeey Haystack , ZZ what cha think?+++++++++++++++++

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2010
8:50 AM

Post #8261528

I can't wait to see sweet tater's little babies. They are beautiful.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2010
9:37 AM

Post #8261612

Would you believe that the minute I separated her from her two roomies (two roos that she has grow up with) and introduced her to this new handsome dude...she immediately started her first attempt at the broody song!!! She has never ever sung anything but her baby cheep cheeep before this! Shes a Little Hussy...but this tells me shes going to be a broody hen soooooon! Yaaaaaay!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2010

Post #8261616

Now I have to figure out what to do with Tater's two old roomies? Oh My only problem with them is that wherever they go the two guineas go to!!! That is going to make for a difficult honeymoon if I ever find two more Hens! LOL!!

This message was edited Dec 15, 2010 12:42 PM

Thumbnail by Eufaula

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #8261620

True love for sure. So cute and too funny. Guess those boys she grew up with are just plain boring to her while the new handsome stranger is exciting. Congrats on your new birds.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2010
9:44 AM

Post #8261623

This one is Carrot, the other roo was Copper! Carrot was letting me know " Im C-c-c-old mommy!"

Thumbnail by Eufaula

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2010
10:05 AM

Post #8261665

Its cold here too but I have no chickens outside. I do feel bad for them in the cold. Hopefully your cold snap down south will not last much longer.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2010
2:54 PM

Post #8262181

oh how wonderful Eufaula. They are beautiful
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 15, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #8262197

Just sitting here smiling, I knew that JS guy was going to be good. I just felt it in my bones. I even told him so. I will be so happy to have him stick around...He sure did put a smile on your face, and that is a very good thing...I'm so happy for you...Blue, Lavendar, Naw I don't think that is going to happen any time soon. The serama seldom come in one pure color, however it does happen. I have two that are total chocolate right now but that may change as they are still very young, I have one that is pure black and two that are pure white. I don't see any blue or lavendar to work with in my opinion...Hay.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #8262218

Yep, I had only one Pullet left , and the jury is still out on whether or not her babies will be viable! We will see! I cant wait for her first egg! Which brings up the question... How long should a pullet be laying before trying to hatch her eggs?

With 4 new Proven Hens and 4 excellent Roos along with Tater Im hoping for a great Spring! Oh and yes I am not forgetting Copper and Carrot, I will be alternating , to see who is most compatible with who! Tater says shes quite happy thank you!
jscruggs
Newborn, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #8262265

Hay,
I would defer the accolades until you talk with my wife...she might set you straight. :) I am tickled that Lynn likes the birds and is enjoying them...seeing her get the birds was a bit like watching my kids open Christmas presents...good stuff. My stock all came from Grady Taylor in Florida. He has about a thousand of them by my estimation. He has solid white, black, and all sorts of mixed colors. One of the best looking colors that he was working on was a very light gray (called blue in the silkie world), and these had penciled feathers which were a little darker gray...amazing sight.

Lynn, if you wind up needing that other cage, you are more than welcome to get it. Unless they get sneaky on me, I don't plan on having any more chicks till this spring...and even if I did, I would just keep them in that bigger, enclosed cage...so it will probably be 6 months before I need the extra cages. Just let me know. I don't know what color to call cockerel #1 & #3...but if given a choice, #1 (lighter wing tips) has the better conformation and is a tad smaller of the two. #'s 2 & 4 are what Mr. Taylor calls "Butterscotch" and all 4 of them have the same dad...the roo in post #8259376. #2 is the best one of all 4, conformation wise. Play with him and train him for table top. He will be a good scorer if you ever want to show him. There is a show in Monroe sometime early spring...I will let you know exactly when as the time draws near and they put out the info. All the SCNA people are really nice and fun to be around. It's nice to have a 'winner' but I really could care less...although I do like to see what each bird scores in each category and learn what the judges look for...mostly it is just for fun and to be around other chicken fanatics...I mean chicken people. :)
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 15, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #8262373

So JS how many seramas do you usually keep, and do you breed and sell or just what do you do...I'm just nosey and enjoy hearing what others are doing...I had to laugh at what you said as my dearwife tells me all the time..."if they only knew you like I do..." I think she means she's going to tell on me...LOL
jscruggs
Newborn, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #8262515

At our other house I had a decent sized chicken house and I usually kept 10-20 adults and however many chicks they had. I have given a lot of them to school kids and have sold a few for $5-10 a piece...basically, just enough to offset the feed bill. I gave half of them to Lynn yesterday so now I am down to 2 roos and 6 hens/pullets...a nice, easy number to overwinter and start anew in the spring. I like to play with them, but depending on how many horses I have to shoe and whether or not one of the kids has practice, or whatever else comes up each day, most of my spare time lately has been devoted to this house and its landscaping...or lack thereof. Right now, the chickens are on the back burner...so to speak. :)
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #8262687

Sweet, JS is a shoer that likes chickens and has a soft spot for kids.. LOL I am thinking he will fit in just fine...
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 15, 2010
9:53 PM

Post #8262784

Congratulations Eufaula!! I'm so happy for you! They are absolutely amazing! Great looking... I just love that wild colored roo..

I'd give them at least a few months before you start hatching.. I made the mistake of letting them brood too soon and the results were really bad. There was another time I incubated eggs from a pullet that hadn't been laying for long and one was a double yolker that developed and died at hatch time. It was horrible.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2010
10:01 PM

Post #8262793

This is too much good info at one time. The guy in Fla has blue seramas? I could go for a couple of those. More importantly, you are a farrier? Can we talk? :)

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2010
5:27 AM

Post #8263039

Now arent we all a great family of chicken livers...er chicken lovers!!!!
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #8263248

ZZ do you have Haystacks Phone Number?? If you do please tell him he needs to go to Walgreens in Ferndale after 1pm his time today... Or tell him to check his Dmail...

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 16, 2010
8:12 AM

Post #8263334

Oh.. gosh... ummmm let me look around..

edited to add..

I'm up to my eyeballs in boxes.. if it's not on my phone or computer, I am sorry.. I can't find it! I hope you get in touch with him!!

This message was edited Dec 16, 2010 9:00 AM
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 31, 2010
4:39 AM

Post #8284587

Hey ZZs I hatched six out of seven new babies last night...as you can see by the hour of this post, I'm up baby sitting...LOL. Don'cha just love it...Happy New Year darling...Hay
porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 31, 2010
5:48 AM

Post #8284671

Wow! Congratulations! You must be doing something right.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 31, 2010

Post #8284996

Good for you Haystack! Happy New Year! I'm so thrilled about 2011. :)

I lost my best hen yesterday to an unknown evil. Tina, my tiny hen was dying.. There was evidence of something that had dug under the coop.. I don't understand what happened yet.
Her coopmate is setting on a clutch of eggs.. so hopefully I have a daughter of hers in the near future. :(
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 31, 2010
11:27 AM

Post #8285107

Sorry for your loss, So Tiny Tina is gone...:o(. Lousy predators. I lost two of my standards to a possum last night also. I must have shut him in as he was there waiting for me this morning. He is now in Possum Hell. All my girls I have left were cheering as I came back out with my trusty long rifle... It was down to ten degrees again last night, but the seramas were doing well this morning and the pheasant don't even blink about the cold. I only have five standards left now and when they are gone they are gone...I hope this year is top of the world to you my dear friend.

I'm celebrating tonight, not new years but rather that me term as president ended today at the Senior Center. It required at least six hours a day and I'm so happy we have another gentleman comming in Monday. Now I can get back to my Seramas and begin to prepare for some traveling come summer.

My friend with cancer has chosen to stay where he is due to frequent trips to see his doctor. I will go and visit one day a week for now...Hay
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 31, 2010
11:29 AM

Post #8285108

Tina is still alive! We moved coops and found an extensive tunnel system.. it's gotta be a possum... Tried to pull her down the hole, and I'm thinking she was just frozen.. She is wobbly, and muddy, but alive! I sooo want to bring her in the house.. :(

Wow.. that was a close one! We set a trap and filled in all the nest areas under the other coops.. wow.. my favorite hen.. :)
porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 31, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #8285237

Nice to end the year with a little miracle. It makes me happy to hear of Tina's return to the living.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

December 31, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #8285239

Hay I was thinking about your friend yesterday,he will stay in my prayers will you keep us updated on him?Your nights are colder than ours.Sorry about your hens.ZZ so glad your hen is ok,who says you can`t take her in the house,GO FOR IT!!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 31, 2010
1:09 PM

Post #8285308

Oh I'm so glad Tina is ok. Those possum are so quiet yet really deadly when it comes to the girls. I have one serama roo and one serama hen who just love being with the big girls. Usually when I shoot around them they go crazy but I put three rounds through the possum and not one hen made a sound but as soon as the possum quit thrashing the little Serama Roo (Duke) one of Dot's boys immediately started crowing and they must have known the possum was dead as they came down from the roost and started eating immed. Duke was still crowing when I left...

Yes Donna I will surely keep you posted on Dave's progress. I call him just about every day and pray with him and remind him he has a home here if he chooses...People don't like giving up their independence easily and I don't blame them...There is just no place like home...

Oh ZZs I agree with you it's not just a tough job market, but age and physical ability has such a prominent affect as well. They won't tell you your to old for what they want, as they can't but you just know that is so often the reason. I find it somewhat offensive but don't know how you can prove it. There is nothing fair about this world, and I think it's going to get worse. Home invasions are up in numbers something fierce as people are becoming desperate to survive. I don't allow my wife to answer the door in the evening after dusk. I do that and I keep a hand gun in my robe at all times. I never thought i'd ever live to see that day...Take good care of yourselves and always stay safe...Hay
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2010
2:14 PM

Post #8285383

Yea!!!! ZZ I am so happy for you. Go ahead and bring that baby in and make her a nice warm box so she can get a little extra TLC.

Hay I am with you. We have a very long drive way to get to the house and the house can't be seen from the road. I keep my gun on the table next to the recliner and I keep all the doors and windows locked when hubbie is away. I bought some big metal signs to put on the trees coming down the drive but hubbie doesn't want them put up. I got Private Property Keep Out and another one I had printed up Invited Guest and Delivery Personnel, No Soliciting and a really huge one that says NOTICE Not Responsible For Accidents or Injuries after the baby goose bit JanetOS in the Hoo Hoo and she fell over a water bucket not looking where she was going and sued me when she broke her wrist on my cement Pelican Planter on my walk way

This message was edited Dec 31, 2010 4:16 PM
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #8285879

Donna, so sorry to hear that.

I was reading about home security and they say that if you have a sign up that you have home security, even if you don't, your chances of home invasion go down 70%. So I have two signs up, one in the front yard and one in the backyard, also a security system in my house with motion detectors that call my cell phone if I am away. I should turn it on at night when I go to sleep, but I don't. It scares me when I set it off accidentally. :)

I also have little stickers on my windows, some saying there is a security system and some of them have the camera and say something about video 24/7, though I don't have cameras yet.

I think I fried my motherboard this week trying to put in a video capture card for a security camera. I'm not giving up though.

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 31, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #8285888

Thank you all for the kind words. I hope everyone has a wonderful NewYear's Day tomorrow and be sure to stop by and get your Black Eyed Peas, Collard Greens and cornbread! I'm cookin up a huge batch. Love to you all.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2010
10:47 PM

Post #8286045

yummy ZZ. Wished I lived closer
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8286470

Happy New Year to one and all.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8286792

You know, sometimes you can put a ton of effort into a meal and no matter what you do, how hard you try, it's a flop.

Well, I'm proud to announce that is NOT THE CASE today~!

The beans are absolutely perfect.. The cornbread is the best I've ever made.. and the collard greens just make me squeek with joy!

This is a wonderful New Year's Day here in the Davis household.. I do hope you all are feeling the magic!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 1, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8286876

Happy, happy, happy!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8287068

I dearly love collards but only them a couple of times a yr now due to the coumadin. They are high in Vit K a blood thickner ;-( the best are when I grew my own and wait until after a couple of good frost to pick, wash and straight into the 5 gal pot with onions and pork neck bones. Was a yrs worth for me in the freezer unless DD came over and robbed me lol
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8287193

I've never grown them Donna.. and actually, this is my first time preparing them from fresh.. I absolutely loved this recipe.. Home grown chicken stock, home grown onions and garlic.. YUM
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 1, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8287498

Chicken Stock: Did I hear you say CHICKEN STOCK!!! C H I C K E N S T O C K! ! !

Y I K E S, ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? That saying could turn your girls into run aways. THAT IS A DREADED UNUSED TERM IN OUR HOUSEHOLD...oh ZZS HOW COULD YOU...

Happy New Year Darling...Hay
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8287593

ROFL Hay

ZZ sounds very yummy but if you put in pork neck bones and shred the meat off it is a meal in its self with a side of cornbread of course. Glad you liked them and they turned out good.

They are very easy to grow and really don't require any care. They taste best after a couple of frost on them. It makes them sweeter. The nice thing is you just harvest the lower big leaves and they keep growing until it gets warm
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 2, 2011
9:12 AM

Post #8288134

LOL Hay.. the girls don't have to worry.. it's the boys! and yup.. that was the best stock I've ever tasted! I believe that is what made such a difference. I canned several quarts a couple months back... amazing stuff.. tons of work, but worth it!

That sounds really good Donna! If I stay here and grow anything again, I will try growing it too.. fun stuff!!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8288749

Broccolli is very easy too and taste even better than fresh store bought. If you have some planters you can grow them in that. You can also grow potatoes in a container. I sure miss having a garden and going outside and picking what I need for a fresh stir fry. If any potatoes you have start growing just cut it up with a good eye on each piece and cover with about 2" of dirt. The potatoes grow down so would need to be a tall pot of loose dirt, oh and fresh snow peas yummy. These are some of your cool weather crops. 1 of the cabbages we grew one year was 17 lbs. Hubbie had to bring it to work to show it off. They all usually average 10 pounds. I guess it was a fluke because we could never get one to grow that big again. Cauliflower was a bust. I tried for 3 yrs. It either got hot to quick and it bolted or we got a late hard frost and ruined the head right before they were ready. Brussel Sprouts never would get very big but were still yummy. All of these are very easy to grow. Just plant them add some fertilizer and keep watered. I always bought the cell packs of plants. I never started from seed
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 2, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8288902

THE BOY'S! :o( I'm feeling sucher punched...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8289342

I grow my taters in feed sacks.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2011
11:01 PM

Post #8289445

wow great ideal and a good way to recycle them. Do you need to poke holes in the bottom to drain or will it seep out enough?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2011
11:34 PM

Post #8289455

Didn't have to with the white ones as the weave was looser and they weren't coated. They also fell apart by the end of the season. This year I am using coated bags so I may have to put a few holes in those.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 3, 2011
8:38 AM

Post #8289995

Since I've moved down the street, I'm not sure if I can use the property where my chickens are anymore.. still in the air about that.

Cajun that is an amazing idea for potatoes! I grew some last year in a wine barrel, and filled it as I needed to.. but that is a better idea yet! I have some plastic bag pots that can be used for that..
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8290157

Those were feed sacks but I am using different ones this year. I have been saving them from dog food, alfalfa cubes, beet pulp pellets, chicken feed and calf manna. We don't have a calf. We give a cup a day to the horses as a supplement. Can I tell you I have a lot of bags saved up?

I did not realize you had moved just down the street. Do you have your chickens moved yet?
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 3, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8290881

I just think that is such a great idea!

Can't move the chickens... :( No room here. They are on the property next to the house I had before.. It's probably gonna be an issue soon.
This is my house, but I let my mom move in it about 6 years ago when I was manager here.. (mobile home park) so I could take care of her.. now, since I'm not manager, they gave me short notice to give up Manager's quarters. I had no choice but to move in here..

Not lovin life these days.. but I have to count my blessings... I have a food and shelter and for a lot of folks in this area, that's more than they have! Something will change soon, it always does. :)
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8291312

That really stinks ZZ. Hope things look up for you very soon. So sorry this is how your new year is starting
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8291754

Is there any room at your house for coops or tractors? I am trying to get the materials for a hoop house. My main problem is getting the 14ft cattle panels home from town. I don't have a trailer. I am wondering if I can wedge them into the bed of the truck in the same position they will be in the finished hoop house. Any ideas?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 4, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8291789

I haul 16' cattle panels on top of my truck: one end in the bed, the other end resting on the cab (padded by old quilts or something) strapped down with ratchet straps.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8291799

Now, there's an idea. I have straps. How many do you haul at one time? I think I will need 4.

Just remembered I don't have a tailgate on my truck. Drats!!

This message was edited Jan 4, 2011 9:46 AM
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 4, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8291805

I have a one ton truck so I have hauled as many as twenty, four should be no problem no matter what size truck. No tailgate? Use more straps and weave them into the mesh to prevent slipping.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8291817

It's a 3/4 ton with a long bed. I'll give it a try. I really want to get my hoop house made down the hill.

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8292110

Chickens are not allowed here.. :( I'm in a mobile home park.

No problem.. it won't be forever. My Mom is my #1 priority. Everything else will find it's place. No worries.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8292138

I hate that for you but you are right in putting your Mom first. As much as we love the chickens they don't compare to family.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8292652

Thank you Cajun...
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 4, 2011
8:47 PM

Post #8292968

Cajun, You don't need a tailgate. Just cut a four foot 2x6 and run it across the back of the truck. Then cattle panel can rest against that and then strap them where they rest on the cab of the truck. I use moving pads where they rest on the cab...Hay
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2011

Post #8292991

That's a great idea. Thanks. We are supposed to get another storm on the weekend so I will not likely get this done til next week. Trading chickens tomorrow and getting rid of most of the game cocks. Woo Hoo!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 5, 2011
4:59 AM

Post #8293129

Good for you: I sure do hope this works out well for you so you won't have to keep going up that hill...This is a tough time of the year for weather so just stay safe please.

We have been in the low teens now for over a week. Everything is froze solid and my girls aren't happy with so much cold weather. I have four one month old seramas and six four day olds and just keeping them warm enough to survive is a challenge but, it is what it is. I keep telling myself to quit hatching but I don't seem to listen very good...Hay
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8293348

Our weather has been pretty good for a week now. No precip and over 40* by the afternoon on most days. But that is coming to an end. It was sure nice while it lasted.

Keep those little peeps warm.

I have been able to put my hen back in her pen and the pullet with the crooked beak back in her pen. Both are doing fine.

I have 1 roo in the house now. It is a smaller game roo that got beaten up really bad by an older, bigger game cross roo. I shot the bigger roo but didn't kill him. I caught him off the roost last night and have him in a sack to take off today. I am going to do some trading after I feed up.

We have church tonight so I have to get my lesson ready.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8297551

We are expecting a big cold front here this week, starting tomorrow I think. Maybe snow.

Sorry to hear of your rooster trouble.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8298140

I gave him away and am so glad to be rid of him. 4 game roos to go. I traded 2 bantam hens for an EE hen and a BSL hen. I clipped their wings and put them in the pullet pen as it is a bit bigger than the layer pen and less crowded. There was a bit of jockying for position but they got it all worked out. They were all on the roost tonight and nobody looks worse for the wear.

I had to bring Miracle in. She is the BSL pullet that survived the dog attack. She has decided to molt. At least i guess thst is what it is. The outside of one of her legs is naked. Doesn't appear to be any trauma. Awful time to be without feathers so she is in the LR in a big plastic tub.

The blinded roo is better. I put him in the shower under warm water a few nights ago then worked on his eyes. I got them open but they were closed again next morning so last night I wrapped a warm, wet cloth around his head and opened them again. I put some ointment in them. They are open just a slit tonight and he can see!! I think he will be OK but may never grow feathers on his head again. He is still trying to fight. Guess he always will.

It has been snowing here all day but hasn't been bad because it has been light and dry. Started to change a bit after dark. The pplows are out scraping and salting. Praying it doesn't get worse.

Hope you all are warm tonight.
SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

February 1, 2011
12:22 AM

Post #8342098

I love to see the pics!!!!!! I read about 3/4 of the posts before my eyes started crossing lol. I need to make t a point to get on here more often. Here is my lil hen sweet pea.She loves to be handled and i can pose her by just putting her tail and head in the position i want giggle shes pretty cute this pic was taken with no posing tho.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

February 1, 2011
12:26 AM

Post #8342100

Here is my only roo right now.Im not real mpressed with him right now he looks like hes got too much tail.His wngs could be a little more downward pointing too but im learning.I wish i knew more about showing and i wish there were some serama shows close by to get my feet wet.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2011
5:34 AM

Post #8342273

OhOHMY! I dont a thing wrong with any of them Wolfie! They are just preciuos. Just look at those colors and such attitude!! Wonderful!
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8342295

Sweet Pea is a cutie, I love Seramas!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 1, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8342871

Very sweet, I see nothing wrong with your rooster, especially as a pet. Showing them is a little different when it comes to conformation. The protruding chest is almost a must for showing and yes the vertical feathers should be a little more vertical, but for pets, I think their wonderful...Hay
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8343044

Wow... Lil Sweet Pea is a winner! She is perfect.. (in my eyes) The lil roo is nice too.. His wings leave a bit to be desired, and his comb is way big.. but other than that, he is really nice! Love the color!!
SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

February 1, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8343239

ty guys I would love to show lil sweet pea. I think she is very close to the standard.I dont like this roo much for conformation but i have some eggs going right now so im hoping to get another roo out of them.I had quite a few losses out there in the barn this fall so he is the only roo i have right now but im sure with the nice hens i do have laying right now i should get something a little better to work with.I did also join the serama club last year so i have a good standard to go by when choosing chicks to keep.The little buff colored hen to the left is also a tiny hen and cute.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2011 2:27 PM

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

February 1, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8343243

this hen is fleck she used to be mottled but then turned all black. she is not as nice a little larger also but shes sweet. She is my dh baby girl.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

February 1, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8343246

I just like this picture of Swwet pea she is such a proud gal when she has laid an egg.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8343799

I know very little about seramas, but I like her little comb. It's very nice. She seems like a sweetie.

I have a splash silkie rooster and noticed the other day he has a very large comb that isn't too attractive. I think it grew in the last six months. Not sure what judges think of those big combs on silkies.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8344043

Silkies have a "Walnut" comb and no matter what... it's ugly. LOL Hopefully he's got enough "poof" to cover it some. He is maturing that's what makes it get big.

On a little Serama, I think a big comb is not good.. especially if it doesn't have the 5 points clearly defined. That's my personal opinion, and I ain't no judge! LOL
SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

February 2, 2011
8:36 AM

Post #8344933

Yeah that makes sense to me a small comb on a tiny bird does just look better He has had frost bite so he lost all the points.Most of my roos here in illinois loose most or all of their combs.Im hoping we are going to be able to dig out my barn today lol the drifts are 1/2 way up the building today. I know im going to have to dig out the turkeys I cant even see them in their cage.The snow has covered the opening of the doghouse they go into in bad weather.This storm is horrible if you have lots of critters outside.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 2, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8344955

They make chicken saddles for hens and chicken diapers, why not balaclavas for roosters? I see an untapped market for some enterprising seamstress here!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 2, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8345239

Balaclavas was my new word for the day,did not know what that was so googled it now I know.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America