Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Weather: November Weather Winter looms!

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 257, Views: 1,201
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 1, 2010
5:34 AM

Post #8188057

Time marches on. A new month, time for a new thread.
7:24 AM & still Dyson Dark.
Sun is rising in the east.
Going to install drawers & doors on ladies bathroom cabinets. A very nice upgrade. I refinished the face frames Friday.
Did some plowing in the garden yesterday. Soil was in very nice condition so it plowed beautifully.
Finish that job later this week.
Need to insulate the attic this week also. Keep that heat in. Should have done it last year, but winter came to early & hard so we couldn't get it done.
Also this week, I will start on the big kitchen project. Shouldn't take to long.

We came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1132244/

Picture was taken off my porch.

Have a Great Month!
Bernie

This message was edited Nov 1, 2010 7:36 AM

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 1, 2010
5:40 AM

Post #8188068

Thanks for the new thread, Bernie. Nice sunrise!

nice truck, Ric! good work so far on the GH. down here we don't have to worry about frost heave. LOL
Pretty leaves, Adina.

I only had 7 trick-or-treaters come by my house last night. That leaves a LOT of candy for me! LOL

We have a chance of rain again later today and tonight! HOORAY!

# Today: A mix of clouds and sun during the morning will give way to cloudy skies this afternoon. High 77F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Rain showers this evening, becoming a steady, soaking rain overnight with a few rumbles of thunder possible. Low 51F. Winds NE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall near a half an inch.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2010
6:43 AM

Post #8188147

Rain Rain Rain Rain!!!! Come ooonn Rain!!

Hope everyone had a great Halloween, we don't get any T or Ters and we have no candy, so Mau if you would like to donate to the poor and needy... lol

Adina I can't give her any money, my husband doesn't have a job and I don't make enough to pay the bills, if it weren't for unemployment benefits we'd be screwed. I'd rather put the dog down so I don't have to deal with her running loose, when one of her dogs gets out it will come over to my house and my cat can't go outside on her own property, plus it keeps me awake all night. Putting the dog down would be a win win situation for both of us, which she did give me permission to do.

Nice Mums by the way!

Ric nice truck! Looks like it was really taken care of! LOL on the cruise control, what would we do without it!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 1, 2010
8:15 AM

Post #8188317

Look alike going rain tonight:

Today: Partly sunny, with a high near 64. East wind around 9 mph.

Tonight: A 30 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 42. Northeast wind around 7 mph.

Well, I didn't go cause of my step-son don't want me come along with step-grandkids yesterday and so I am very grumble at him...
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 1, 2010
9:12 AM

Post #8188401

Didn't get rain here until late in the day and now it's been drizzling well into the night. A good soaking rain at least, I've only got 8.6 millimetres (0.34 inches) so far.

Interestingly enough, after all the warnings we've been getting about a strong monsoon and cyclone season this year, the first cyclone has shown up a few days before the official start to the season. Tropical Cyclone Anggrek is expected to get to a category 3 and then weaken. Unfortunately the Cocos Keeling Islands are close to its track. It's predicted to curve away from the mainland coast tomorrow and head back out into the Indian Ocean.

This is the current warning:

TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 18
Issued at 11:39 pm WST on Monday 1 November 2010

A Cyclone WARNING continues for people on the Cocos Keeling) Islands.

At 11:00 pm WST (9:30pm Cocos local time) Tropical Cyclone Anggrek, Category 2, was estimated to be 190 kilometres northeast of Cocos Island and moving south southeast at 10 kilometres per hour.

Tropical Cyclone Anggrek is expected to intensify during Tuesday as it moves southwards towards the Cocos Islands. Squalls on the islands will gradually get stronger with periods of gale force winds likely to develop during Tuesday.

With the cyclone expected to curve around towards the west on Tuesday it is likely to be close to Cocos for an extended period. If the cyclone passes close by VERY DESTRUCTIVE wind gusts will occur and tides are likely to rise above the normal high tide mark with DAMAGING WAVES and flooding of low lying areas.

Details of Tropical Cyclone Anggrek at 11:00 pm WST (9:30pm Cocos local time):
.Centre located near... 11.0 degrees South 98.1 degrees East
.Location accuracy... within 85 kilometres
.Recent movement... towards the south southeast at 10 kilometres per hour
.Wind gusts near centre... 130 kilometres per hour and INTENSIFYING
.Severity category... 2
.Central pressure... 987 hectoPascals

The Australian Federal Police advise that Red Alert Status is now in force.

It was a 10 day walk, so it's a long post with lots of photos. Great for a wet afternoon or evening when there's nothing else to do.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 1, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #8188535

ROFLOL, Crissy! I can save some of the candy and bring it to you when I see you in Dec. at Hot Springs.

Wow, Tropic, that sounds bad for the folks on the Cocos Islands. I hope they don't get hit too hard. I'll check out that link when I have more time.

We had a frost over the week-end but, surprisingly, some of my flowers survived.
Here's a link to the photos I took today of the remaining blooms:
http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/BloomsAfterTheFrost?authkey=Gv1sRgCLrSq6PpnPSfUA#

and one photo as a 'teaser"

Thumbnail by marsue

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2010
11:58 AM

Post #8188602

LOL Mau, I can't wait that long... It's an emergency! LOL LOL I'm just kidding, I have banned all candy as it sticks to my butt.

I had frost too, it bit my brugs so I cut them down Saturday :(

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 1, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #8188931

Bernie, thanks for starting a new thread! Pretty sunrise
Crissy, sorry to hear that!Is that service for free?
Mau, I will look at the pictures tomorrow. That's a pretty teaser!

No more frost here, has warmed up , even at night. Sunny at noon but forrgy in the morning.
My mums are blooming.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #8189202

Cold, cloudy and just about miserable. High in the mid 50s with a decent breeze.

Had to clean windows today at work. We decorate windows for events and holidays and it was time to take the Halloween one down. Not an easy or fast process. Spray the window down, scrape the paint off, clean window again, then clean it with Dawn dish soap and water. If still cloudy looking clean again. lol. I had only 3 big windows to clean and it took several hours. If it had been nice out I would have done all the windows since they need it. lol
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 1, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #8189278

Pep go the HD or Lowe's and get a window cleaning kit.
I use one at work and it saves hours.
The chemicals work well and squeegee right off.
No rinsing, streaks or fog.

All plants are in and we will soon be buttoning up OUR GH.

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2010
7:21 AM

Post #8190094

LOL crissy at "sticks to my butt"! :oD
Pretty mums, Adina.
Pepper, you can come down here and clean my windows when you finish up there. *grin*
Ric: sounds like you are prepared for winter!

HOORAY!! It's been raining for about 3 hours now! Supposed to be with us all day and into tomorrow!
Our high today will be in upper 50's and low in mid-40's. Warmer tomorrow--up to 70F.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 2, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #8190110

We got a thunderstorm last night around midnight when I was trying to go to sleep but so excited that the San Francisco Giants won the Championship I couldn't sleep, the last time they won was in 1954 when they were the New York Giants. Woo Hooo!!

Other than that, we haven't gotten any rain...yet...

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 2, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #8190828

Mau, thanks!
Dyson dark today and foggy. It was so foggy when we got home tonight that I had to drive real slow...scary!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #8191090

Sunny, breezy and cool. Temps were about the same as yesterday, mid 50s. About normal for this time of year.
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #8191423

We finally got some rain last night. One and three-fourths inches! Yay! It was a nice slow rain, so I hope it soaked in.

Today started out cloudy, but then the sun came out. Lovely cool day! Supposed to get down to mid-40's tonight.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 2, 2010
8:36 PM

Post #8191434

Got my plowing done. Now winter can come any time it wants.
Still got greenhouses to erect. Hope to get at that shortly.

We are finishing small projects in the shop. 3 done the last few days. Another will be done Friday. Then it's on to the large kitchen project.

Election is over, no more goofy ads on TV & in the mail!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2010
4:48 AM

Post #8191773

40 with a high of 37
Sun and clouds mixed. Winds W at 10 to 20 mph.
Time Until Sunrise: 2 hrs 5 min Dyson Dark!

November, a time for change, literally, this Sunday we change the clocks back.

We had around 70 trick or treaters because a few towns didn't have their trick or treat night the same as ours. I barely had enough candy.

I had to take time off and go thru my pictures. I deleted a lot of blurry or almost identical ones and updated the e-drive. I've only had a digital camera since 2007. Luckily I had a lot of it already cleaned up, but I was ruthless in sorting again.

Bernie, love the sunrise thru the trees! Perfect for the new thread!!

Rusty, what a sad way to end up on Halloween :o(

Tropic, we worry about the first snow and ice and you worry about terrible winds. I'll have to catch up to the hiking pictures.

Marsue, be honest. There won't be any candy left and you will have to buy a new bag :o) I'll catch up to your link too!

Adina, lovely mums. Mine are blooming too, in the middle of the bed and I have to look in to see them. They didn't get moved this spring.

Pepper, there's nothing like clean windows, but that was a lot of work, especially having to clean the outsides.

Bernie, I began and end with you :o) You still have a lot of work to do!

We had the boys Saturday. They made this with Grandpa. I made them crouch so no one could see their underwear, LOL!!

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2010
5:33 AM

Post #8191842

Happy Happy Birthday Chrissy!!!

I hope it rains all day!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #8191987

Happy Birthday Crissy!!! Sun is shining here and it's gonna be a gorgeous day!!!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #8192013

Happy Birthday Crissy!

Also, my dog JuJu's birthday today too! She is now 1 yrs old...(the box behind Ju that she chew bottom of the box bad girl dog! lol)...She's all training so far...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 3, 2010
8:34 AM

Post #8192204

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JUJU!!! Look at her, she's all grown up!

It rained almost all night I think, and so far it's been raining since I got up at 6:30, we need the good soaking and I don't care if it's raining on my birthday, I'm at work anyway. Now if it was over the weekend I might have to have a little discussion...

So I heard on the radio this morning that in either 2011 or 2012, the DJ couldn't remember, we're not going to be doing daylight savings time anymore, or daylight savings time is going to become standard time and we won't be changing the clocks. That's the first I've heard of it, has anyone else heard this, and is it an Arkansas thing or a National thing??

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2010
9:43 AM

Post #8192292

Happy Birthday!! Crissy
HappyBirthday! JuJu!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2010
9:49 AM

Post #8192302

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CRISSY ---AND JUJU!
Bernie, when you said you got your plowing done, I had visions of you holding on to the handles of an old plow as it was being pulled by a mule! LOL My late DH used to tell stories about his granddad doing just that very thing.
BP: love the pic of the boys and their "city"!
Rusty, JuJu has grown up to be a beautiful dog.
Crissy, I haven't heard of daylight savings time going away or of permanently changing to DST but that doesn't mean it isn't going to happen. LOL Our resident encyclopedia(and I mean that in the nicest way), Ric, may know something about it.

It's been raining off and on all day! :o)))))) It is cooler, current temp is 52F.

Thumbnail by marsue

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 3, 2010
9:59 AM

Post #8192321

Happy Birthday Crissy!
Nope, mounted 2 bottom plow. Did a good job this year. 35 HP tractor pulling it. Takes a lot of power in this heavy black soil.

Windy & sunny today.

Glad bulbs getting drenched today. No thrips next year!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2010
10:44 AM

Post #8192405

Look how bigh Juju has gotten! Oh, she's beautiful! Happy Birthday to both pretty girls!!!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 3, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #8192984

Happy birthday Crissy! As a Dodger fan, I'm supposed to hate the Giants, but I was rooting for them in the World Series.

I don't know where winter is looming, but it isn't around here.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on November 03, 2010
95 F
Clear
Humidity: 13%
Dew Point: 36 F
Wind: 4 mph from the North

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #8193128

Happy Birthday JuJu!!!

Haven't heard that about daylight savings time. All I've heard is election results and very little of it local or state news. Just national. Oh well. My dad told me what I wanted to know so it's all good. lol.

Today the weather was very decent. Temps in the low 60s, sunny with a nice breeze.

Didn't do anything outside like I wanted since I had alot of housework to do but oh well. I really need to wash my truck. It's almost the same color as Ric's new truck now. LOL!!! The inside is really bad too. I meant to go to the carwash today but I had too many people behind me and wanted to get away from them so went home. lol
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #8193187

Happy Birthday Chrissy!
And of course Happy Birthday JuJu!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #8193247

JuJu say "Woof Woof" (mean thank you)...

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2010
4:23 AM

Post #8193691

39 and clear. Feels like 32
High of 49
A mix of clouds and sun. High winds NNW at 20 to 30 mph.
Time Until Sunrise: 2 hrs 30 min. Dyson Dark.

Happy Birthday a day late Juju! You are beautiful!!

Chrissy, rain, just what I wished for for you :o) I myself wish they would just do away with DST. If you do it, don't we all have to? It's something that gets discussed, but never happens.

Marsue, ''resident encyclopdia'' is the biggest compliment! Bernie would tie with Ric and Darius is our female half of the book.

Bernie, I can just see your soil. It's my favorite childhood memory, looking out the upstairs window watching Dad plow up the less than an acre of garden. I still remember the black jelly color when it was fresh and moist. Black gumbo. Nothing prettier. Maybe that's why black is one of my favorite colors and always has been.

Pepper, I hear you on too many people around and just going home. I did housework yesterday too. Plus, DD and the boys delivered the pizzas we ordered thru the school. It started off being nice, then it got windier and windier. I was glad to be in dusting and vacuming :o)

Grocery day today. It's a satisfying trip, to fill the cupboards, that are pretty full now. I'm waiting on the Thanksgiving flour and sugar sales to finish up. I've been mentally baking bread, so it's going to happen one of these days.

Zoe on catnip :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #8193920

BP, our Cleo looks like she's on catnip all the time. The part right before she zones out and goes to sleep. LOL

38 out there now with a high of 62.

I have trimming and yard clean-up for today. Maybe I'll even get to it.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2010
7:42 AM

Post #8193982

Celia we're the same temp!

All that rain was wonderful, thank you BP! Its so appreciated!! I can tell that the burn bans were lifted too, everyone was out burning last night lol

Sunny today with a high of 62, sustained northwest winds 10 to 20mph with gusts up to 30mph. I can't stand wind, it blows my brain around.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 4, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #8194964

Heard Mau is having some computer issues.
So she may be gone for a bit.

Rain here today as a T-Storm whipped thru.
We won't see 50 again till at least Sunday.
But all the supplies have to finish the GH Build! ☺

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2010
5:37 PM

Post #8194974

Colder today with temps only around 50 or so. Windy and sunny too. Went outside when carrying groceries a few times today and about froze to death each time because I didn't wear a thicker shirt. lol

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2010
5:02 AM

Post #8195447

27 Feels Like: 18
Plentiful sunshine. High 46F. Winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph.
Time Until Sunrise: 2 hrs 1 min
Still Dyson Dark even tho I slept in.

Celia, I love to bring in a fresh branch and let them get goofy! I even have a baggie of the stuff, all rolled up :o) It's hard to take your eyes off a sky like that!

Chrissy, I'm glad you got the rain. It does get depressing, and scary, when there's a burn ban. LOL over everyone burning. Yep, been there.

Thanks Ric,. I hope Mau makes it back soon. We'll miss her!

Pepper, I go no-where now without a coat and I know you won't laugh, but I could have used thermals the other day. Why is it when people loose weight, their legs are the only thing to get skinny?

It was windy and chilly yesterday, but a good day for working out. Since the cat jumped the fence we had up, we doubled it. Now they can go out again. This is the first time in seven years that they have actually been able to step in the grass. I'd love to let them out to roam, but roaming cats end up dead. I got the tomatoe cages out of the garden and dug the glads and 4 O'clock roots to store inside. I let the callas go. No room :o(

auroraeve
Vernal, UT

November 5, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #8195802

helo everyone,my name is crystal. i am celia's daughter. the weather is kind of cold, 36. its still hot to me, but thats cause i walk every where.. lol
auroraeve
Vernal, UT

November 5, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #8195807

oh and happy belated b-day to you crissy

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 5, 2010
9:13 AM

Post #8195826

Woo hoo!!! I finally talked her into joining us. Welcome, Crystal!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2010
10:51 AM

Post #8195977

AW thank you Crystal!!! Great seeing you here!

Woo Hoo Celia!!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2010
11:10 AM

Post #8196001

Ok, I have just reminded myself why I don't go out looking at cars until I'm ready to buy one. I went to a Honda dealership just to drive through the lot and see if they had a manual transmission Civic, well that didn't work, now these people are calling me telling me about every stupid Civic they have on their lot, plus the dude who runs the credits just called and left me a vm. gggrrrr Talk about high pressured sales, sheesh!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2010
12:52 PM

Post #8196174

Auroraeve, a huge WELCOME!! I'm glad you joined! I walk everywhere too.

Celia, I'm glad you kept after her :o)

Chrissy, I had to laugh even tho I see how frustrating it is. Never give anyone your phone # or e-mail address :o) I do hope you get a car.

I really should get up and clean more closets. I am in the mood to do so. It just takes forever to catch up here when you let it go a week.

Did I say I was making a squash pie? Now I'm going to have a piece!

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 5, 2010
1:02 PM

Post #8196186

Welcome, Crystal! I had no idea you were a member here at Dave's. We are glad to have you here on the weather forum!

Ric was correct--I did have some problems with my laptop--took it to the doctor and all is well and all for "just" $66.00! It could have been much worse but then I wasn't planning on having to spend that $66.00! Thanks to my mid-south friend, Sandra, for posting that I was going to be off-line for a while. I had no idea I would get my laptop back so soon.

BP, thanks for adding Bernie and Darius to our resident members of the encyclopedia society!

I felt "plumb naked" without my laptop. The old desktop is having its own problems and I can't access the internet with it but I'm not shelling out any more dough to have it repaired!

We have a freeze warning for tonight. Our first of the season. Looks like all the flowers still in bloom have had their last hurrah for the season. *sniff*
A FREEZE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 9 AM CDT
SATURDAY.

EARLY SATURDAY MORNING...TEMPERATURES WILL FALL BELOW FREEZING
OVER PARTS OF CENTRAL AND SOUTH ARKANSAS. A STRONG SURFACE HIGH
PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL CENTER OVER ARKANSAS AND SET UP STRONG
RADIATIONAL COOLING OVER ARKANSAS. MANY LOCATIONS...INCLUDING THE
LITTLE ROCK AREA...WILL EXPERIENCE FREEZING TEMPERATURES. FROST
WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE IN THE WARNED AREA.

* TIMING: 1 AM CDT THROUGH 9 AM CDT SATURDAY

* TEMPERATURES: TEMPERATURES WILL DROP INTO THE 20S AND LOWER
LOWER 30S FOR SEVERAL HOURS.

* IMPACTS: THIS POTENTIAL FREEZE WOULD MARK AN END TO THE GROWING
SEASON OVER THE STATE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZE WARNING MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED
SATURDAY MORNING. THESE CONDITIONS WILL KILL CROPS AND OTHER
SENSITIVE VEGETATION. REMEMBER OUTDOOR PETS ARE ALSO SUSCEPTIBLE
TO THE COLD TEMPERATURES.

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2010
1:20 PM

Post #8196212

BP I can't buy anything until my DH gets a job and/or we get his truck paid off, which isn't until next August, but I don't know what I want, other than something small and sporty, like a Civic Coupe. I just want to drive a bunch of things and take my time deciding, that way when it's time I can just go in and say "I want this car and I can't pay a penny over this." I've done that before and it works! LOL He just called again and said that he has 3 different manual transmission Civics I could drive so if they're still there on Monday, which I'm sure they will be, I'll go drive one. Unfortunately you can't do this without dealing with someone. ggrrrr

BBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! So much better than the heat!!!!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 5, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #8196356

I got the warning weather coming up:

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=MOZ088&warncounty=MOC097&firewxzone=MOZ088&local_place1=Joplin MO&product1=Hazardous Weather Outlook

It will be very chilly frozen tonight...

I gonna stay home and keep warm inside for good but I just hate to get dogs out for potty and bring inside bbbbrrrr...

This message was edited Nov 5, 2010 4:48 PM

This message was edited Nov 5, 2010 4:50 PM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 5, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #8196715

Crystal Welcome!

Snow flurries here, well actually 40 miles north, today.
Cool and 42 for a high today.

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #8196906

Welcome Crystal!!!

It's Dyson Dark now and getting cold again. I've been cold all day but now I'm really getting cold!! LOL. High was low 50s and sunny. Winter's creeping up on us now. I look forwards to snow so I can drag out my sleds and go sledding. lol.

BP, I wear long underwear to work everyday once it gets cool like this. Right now I'm still on one shirt with a sweater if needed but pretty soon I will be wearing 2 shirts to stay warm at work. lol. It gets cold in the store!!

Crissy, I avoid dealerships. lol. The one time I went to test drive a vehicle, the dealer said he had to ride with us. Sorry, but no. I drive without the dealer or I will take my hearing aids out and put in earplugs so I can't hear him. lol. I want to test drive a mustang but I don't want a dealer and frankly don't have the paitence for the dealers. lol.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #8197236

The salespeople always go with you on the test drive anymore. It's not only better for the sale but to safeguard the vehicle so it doesn't get stolen. I understand the point, but that's a little too high pressured for me.

It froze last night, they said this marks the end of the growing season. Poo. It's supposed to get up to 62 today with a low of 35 tonight, and sunny.

This message was edited Nov 6, 2010 8:30 AM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 6, 2010
12:10 PM

Post #8197706

Crissy has already given our forecast. I had a heavy frost this morning at my house but amazingly enough my red mums appear to have survived. Most of the other flowers have seen the end of the growing season. *sniff* Bye, bye blooms--see you in the spring!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #8198246

Got pretty cold last night. If I remember right we hit close to high 20s. The high today was around 60, sunny and a small breeze. I drove with my back window open!! I'm enjoying the nice weather while it lasts. lol

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 6, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #8198368

Snow on the ground and roofs about 30 miles north of us.
Maybe an inch at the GH location.
No wind and sunny so it was gone by 10AM.
Nice working conditions! Seriously!

Think we topped out at 43 here.
70 by Weds...
It's 30 here now and we're heading for the Hot Tub!

Ric

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 6, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #8198370

Whoops forgot the picture...

Thumbnail by henryr10

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2010
4:13 AM

Post #8198744

36 Feels Like: 30
Sunshine to start, then a few afternoon clouds.
High 63 Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph.
Dyson Dark and Kiska Chilly

Good Morning Standard Time :o)

Mau, we miss you when you're gone! When you Southerners freeze we know it's all over for us :o)

Awww Chrissy, I hope he gets a job soon. New cars are exciting like TV's aand stoves. Or, even a new floor! Still smiling over the Grrrr's. Just tell them your price and to call when they have a new one for what you quoted :o)

Rusty, I'm laughing over the Brrr. I have two cats going in and out every morning. I have to use the flashlight so I don't shut their tails in the door, in my haste to close it!

Pepper, I hate to get cold and hate it if I don't wear extra layers. I'm still on Fall weather and this is almost unreal after the warm temps we just had.

Pepper, Chrissy, I always laugh over how the dealer tells you they put gas in the tank for you, after you've bought it. They do, but it's not a tankful!

Ric, it's all going to be beautiful! A big Awww for her daughter upstairs and the baby pumpkins on the way down! She has a beautiful house!!

Yesterday, my elderly relative, Mary, turned 89, but doesn't look or act like it. Her SIL and nieces came back from Arizona to throw her a Birthday Party uptown at city hall. It was a great time and I met relatives I hadn't met before. They all wanted to meet me because Mary had been telling them all the things I've done for her over the years, so I kind of got to bask too.

Today is a silent auction at the St. Mary's hall. They serve meals, so for the first time, we are going to go over and eat. DH's Aunt and Uncle come down and work. He's an auctioneer. So, another family ''reuinin'' today :o)

Last night ''Avatar'' was on. I only closed my eyes for a minute, a few times, but struggled back awake. What a great movie!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #8198856

BP funny thing on the mini-pumpkins.
They are volunteers. Popped up in her garden and climbed the chicken coop.
Her daughter was decorating and placing them on our first visit.

Currently: Sunny and Calm 25.
Heading for the mid 50's. 60's and into the 70's this week.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2010
5:50 AM

Post #8198887

Ric, that is so neat!! What a wonderful suprise crop!

We are supposed to warm up this week too! It's 48* and sunny with a light breeze.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 7, 2010
1:04 PM

Post #8199461

HI everyone! Happy belated Birthday Crissy and Juju!
Ric, nice work! Great picture!
Welcome Crystal, great to have you here!
Celia, beautiful sunset!
BPSally, your boys are looking so beautiful! Nice castle!

It's been a very nice weather, warm and sunny, 71F!!!!!
The apricot's leaves are turning.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2010
1:40 PM

Post #8199548

Very nice today!! Highs in the mid 60s with very little breeze. Perfect weather!! Only bad thing is we are still under a burn ban due to no rain in several weeks I think it is now. But rain coming sometime this week.

Gotta run!! Need to check a couple other threads then going to see the Zac Brown Band tonight. They are a country group that have only been on the big scene for a couple years but are pretty traditional and simple but with some songs that have meaningful messages. I love them!! LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2010
3:11 PM

Post #8199743

Thanks Adina! Wonderful weather and aren't the apricot leaves pretty!

Pepper, they sound like a great band. Have a good time!!!

I'm so excited!! I had a great meal today and I bid on something for the first time in my life!!

I bought an angel!!

Thumbnail by billyporter

Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2010
3:16 PM

Post #8199749

Hi neighbor!
I love the angel, she's beautiful!

Deanna

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #8199761

Howdy do!! Thanks! I love her too! She's a good reminder to pray for others!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 7, 2010
3:55 PM

Post #8199796

Now you are hooked! Next auction it will be easier & you will come home with a carload. LOL!
Worked on cabinets today. Then watched the Vikings. Almost another loss!

Big week ahead. All days are filled. Going to sheetrock a room for a guy either Thursday or Friday.

Mighty dark already, Christmas can't be far off.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #8199967

Nice today and low 50's.
We helped our neighbor Jon move a base for his new shed into place.
Made in Germany of Sycamore, the new machine crate base, it weighed about 1500 pounds.
Did it the old fashion way. Levers and rollers.
I'll get a picture tomorrow.
Then we watched the Cleveland Browns annihilate New England!
Looks like we have a Quarterback!

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #8200003

Wow, busy, busy, busy today. We washed windows, planted bulbs, did general yard clean-up and layed mulch, had lunch with the family (12 of us, not everyone but close), cleaned the carpet downstairs...there was more but I have forgotten what all. LOL I smacked my right thigh on the end of the wheelbarrow handle. OUCH!!! Huge bruise and I walk with a limp now. Shesh!

We have a snowstorm headed our way and we're ready. We're having a new heating/air and water heater system put in tomorrow, too. Yippee!

100% chance of rain tomorrow with a high of 49.

The Salvia is still hanging in there.

This message was edited Nov 8, 2010 7:21 AM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 8, 2010
12:59 AM

Post #8200395

Celia, sorry for the bruise! You sure did a lot of work yesterday! Lovely color of the salvia.
SallyBP, that's a wonderful angel! Good for you!
Hey, Deanna! Welcome!

It's cloudy today , but still warm.52F now, going up to 62F at noon. I'm working second shift, so I'm having my coffee now. Just feeded the doggies, the sparrows and the fish.
Another picture from yesterday, my mums.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2010
2:57 AM

Post #8200436

44 Mostly sunny today. High 66. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph.
Time Until Sunrise: 2 hrs 38 min Sunrise: 6:45 am
Dyson Dark with starry skies.

Bernie, that's what I told everyone yesterday, LOL! You are busy!

Wow Ric! Levers and rollers. Pretty cool!

Celia, I know exactly how much work you did and it's impressive. So sorry about the bruise and limp. That was a full force one! New heating,sigh. Our air is warm about 3'' above the register. I love salvia and that is a beautiful color!

Adina, your Mums didn't disappoint this year! I love the color and so do the bees :o)

DH wrote his bid of $2.00 on this, and no-one else put down a higher amount. It's 1964 dealer car with the information written on the underside.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2010
2:58 AM

Post #8200437

Front

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2010
2:59 AM

Post #8200439

Back

Thumbnail by billyporter

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2010
8:12 AM

Post #8200877

I can't buy a car until August, with Dave not working I can't create a car payment.

Here it is a tankful, the salesman who sells you the car takes you to the gas station with him or her in your new car and they cram as much gas in it as it will hold.

My grandparents had a car just like that!! What a neat model, those are rare nowadays it seems.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2010

Post #8201901

High in the 70s and sunny today.

Concert was great last night. Guest band ( the Wood Brothers) wasn't to my taste but the guest fiddle player was great!! Casey Driessen is his name. He really kept the night rockin!! Main band, the Zac Brown Band was great too. I hope I get to see them play again.

BP, love your angel!! Good deal on the car too!

The KC Chiefs played last night, went into overtime and lost. A friend kept us updated while we were at the concert. lol. Only problem is I never heard who they played. lol.

My knockouts are still blooming after several hard frosts. I've never seen a hardier plant. Amazing. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 8, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #8201922

Oakland. lost by a couple in overtime.

Beautiful weather. Had to meet a lady to deliver some shelves. Stood out in front of Menards in my shirt sleeves. It's November!

Worked on the chicken house today. Babies are outgrowing their space!

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #8201939

Thanks Bernie!!

The weather is just too warm for November!! I should be putting blocks in my truck worrying about snow. lol

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2010
3:10 AM

Post #8202355

41. What a beautiful day coming! Mostly sunny. Warm. High 71 Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph.
Time Until Sunrise: 2 hrs 26 min Dyson Dark.
Well, south winds for me today. I hope the winds switch from the North for everyone!

Chrissy, wow, a full tank! Makes taking him along a good thing. Funny, I was watching ''Little People Big World'' and Zack was needing a new car. Yep, the salesman got in the back :o)

Pepper, glad the night was good. I haven't been to a concert in ages. Your rose IS amazing!

Bernie, sleeves here too! It's wonderful! It's also Indian Summer. We had our killing freeze. We need a chicken picture. I forgot which kind you bought.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 9, 2010
3:54 AM

Post #8202398

Seems strange, all this talk of freezes, snow and the like. Minimum this morning was 22.4C (72.3F) and maximum this afternoon was 37.5C (99.5F). With Christmas coming thoughts turn to hot weather.

Years ago I spent 4 years in Europe. What I could never get used to was all the trees dropping all their leaves, and bitterly cold at Christmas. It's funny what people consider normal.

For the past few weeks I've been eating my own mangos. The other day I started drying some. My mother likes them dried, so I always send some to her during the season.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #8202625

Yea Tropic, when we're in winter you're in summer, and I need a summer house there and a summer house here, that way I'll never have to deal with winter! LOL

Oh yea, they always fill the tanks full. I don't blame the salespeople for going on the test ride, that's the easiest way to steal cars without license plates.

I saw on The Weather Channel this morning that the generator caught on fire on a Carnival cruise ship during a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise. http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/11/09/cruise.ship/index.html?hpt=T2

75* today, yes too warm for mid November. I think I'll take advantage Thursday though.
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #8202705

Oh my, what luscious looking mangoes! Makes me envious of the tropics!

Beautiful here today along the Mississippi! Shirtsleeve and sunglasses weather for sure. Basically, our weather is the same as billyporter's!

pepper,
How big do your knockout bushes get? That's a beautiful rose!
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2010
7:52 AM

Post #8202721

Beautiful day yesterday! Never saw the high temp, but it was supposed to get to 73.

Still dry and windy... We've had fire warnings every day for at least the last two weeks. Haven't heard of any fires in the area, so maybe people are being careful.

Today the forecast is for 78!! And here I thought summer was over! LOL

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #8202895

SNOW!!! Not much but some. 41 for the high today after a high of 60 and rain all day yesterday.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #8203567

Sorry Celia... 71 and Sunny here too!
Looking at more of the same thru Friday!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #8203595

LOL. Mid to high 70s here today again. Fire warnings out here too. People aren't burning which is a good thing. No worries about out of control fires.

Sasha, they can get to 6-8 feet tall and wide. I just planted mine this year. Both of them were half dead but managed to recover and are about 2 feet tall and around.

The little speck of red just behind the pole in the picture is the rose in my last picture. Knockout 'Radrazz'

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #8203981

Rats! I hate the cold. Currently 31. Ick.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2010
3:23 AM

Post #8204102

47 with a high of 71 Our last beautiful day!
Partly cloudy. A stray afternoon thunderstorm is possible. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph.
Sunrise: 6:48 am Time Until Sunrise: 2 hrs 22 min
Dyson Dark

Hi Tropic! My thoughts have turned to hot weather too, I wish we had some, LOL! I bought store bought Mangos once. KEROSENEY!! I buy them canned now and have had the dried. Suprising how good they are when totally ripe. Your's are beautiful!

Chrissy, actually, I always marveled when they did let you test drive without them. It is a good thing they go along. Eeek on the generator fire. That ruins a good vacation!

Sasha, isn't the last throes of summer wonderful? No bugs, soft breezes and warm weather!

Ima, we haven't had rain, but no burn bans either. Of course, I'm not surrounded by trees. That makes a difference :o)

Celia, at least it's melting :o) Pat pat pat. There there.

I hope we get some Christmas lights up today. I love the sneak peeks so we can tweak them.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 10, 2010
4:24 AM

Post #8204144

Crissy, long ago I decided I was too much of a wimp to cope with cold weather. I lived here when a young fella, travelled around, then ended up back here. Summer year round without having to move, a dry summer and a wet summer. Now the wet summer is starting.

Sashagirl, I've always loved mangos, but don't recommend it as a business enterprise. There's a saying here, "TO MAKE A LITTLE MONEY FROM MANGOS FIRST START OFF WITH A LOT OF MONEY". I didn't start off with a lot of money, but I sure have little now.

Sally, with mangos a lot depends on variety and growing conditions. Commercially they're picked very early as closer to ripe they bruise very quickly. I gave up producing them commercially but still have a lot of trees. Mostly Kensington Pride and R2E2, with a few Nam Doc Mai, and a few more "Strawberry".

After all the early rain here we're suddenly back to dry (no rain) but still high humidity and very little cloud cover.

Minimum this morning was 23.3C (73.9F), maximum this afternoon 36.1C (97.0F), with heat index reaching 44.1C (111.4F). Was working outdoors today, but as you can see from the photo the setting made it worthwhile. After finishing I climbed up and had a dip in one of the pools at the top of the falls. Life's not bad really.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #8204150

Tropic, sometimes life doesn't get much better! Beautiful falls!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 10, 2010
4:49 AM

Post #8204171

I've just got to get this in as well Sally. To top off the day, when I got home from work I checked my Amorphophallus garden, this A. paeoniifolius was in full flower. I'm absolutely over the moon!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2010
4:59 AM

Post #8204186

Tropic, it's FABULOUS!! I've never seen such a cap on one. It must be powerful fragrant!

I had an amorphophallus bulb and I finally had to let it go. The umbrella foliage was so pretty, and so was the bloom, but ''dead mouse'' just got overpowering! I had to put it on the sideporch in the middle of winter. If it had only bloomed in the summer.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #8204510

72 here today. Here's a link about November Meteor Mahyem
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/astronomy/2008/11/03/meteor-shower-mayhem/

Tropic that sounds like Hawaii! I'm going to look for a house down there :) LOL

Oh, Mau's computer is down again, she took it to the same guy who fixed it last week.

Here's what's going on with Carnival Splendor today. That was a 7 day Mexican Riviera Cruise and Carnival is going to refund everyone's money Plus give them a free cruise for an equal or lesser value anywhere they want to go. I'd say they're taking care of it.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/41369/fair-weather-for-towing-strand.asp
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #8204576

Forecast today is 76 for a high, 53 for a low. I agree with you Crissy, too warm for mid-November.

Rain tomorrow, and temps start to go down then. We're expecting 32 Saturday night. I guess this might be our last warm day, Billy.

Fire warnings continue. No one seems to be burning here either, Pepper. I'm kinda surprised...it seems like there's always someone who wants to burn their leaves and takes a chance. That happens more in the Spring, I guess.

Kwanjin - I love snow! But maybe that's because DH does most of the shoveling and I just help. LOL

Tropic - I have never seen an A. paeoniifolius. What a cool plant! No wonder you're over the moon! Beautiful falls, too! Nice that you got to take a dip. I think with 111.4F heat index I'd stay in the water all day! LOL I can handle cold better than heat. I wimp out at 80F. :-P
auroraeve
Vernal, UT

November 10, 2010
10:04 AM

Post #8204798

well ty for the warm welcomes. i wish it were still warm here in vernal.it finaly snowed and stuck last night.

its only 28* here.. ( burrrrrrrr!!!!!) and its suposed to snow again today..
well thank you again and you will hear from me soon.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #8205045

BBBUUURRRRRRRRRRR!!!

It's 73 here right now.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2010
5:06 PM

Post #8205502

We'll have two more days of Indian Summer then back to Fall temps.
We hit 72 which is 15 over normal.
Our night temps though have been about normal at upper 30's.

Tropic that's a Lovely setting!
Love the stinker!
I'm growing 2 of them but the bulbs are FAR too little yet to flower.

Ric
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2010

Post #8205545

Tropic,
You live in Paradise! Beautiful, beautiful surroundings.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #8205550

Bernie threw me off earlier by posting in Central Midwest and I almost posted the weather over there. LOL. I'm sooooo confused this week!!! LOL.

Today was a bit cooler with temps only in the mid 60s and cloudy. Looked like it was gonna bust loose with rain a few times but it never did. We need the rain too. It's very dry and very dusty around here. I just washed my truck the other day and you can't even tell. LOL

Blooming no more!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 10, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #8205634

Okay, I'll post it here too.
Finished the siding on DD house today.
Then came home & worked in the shop for a while. I now have 5 base cabinets & 6 upper ones done for the big kitchen. We also ran a bunch of the sawn oak through the planer. Boy is that wood pretty!
Weather is ah chang'in! Wind is from NW & cooling off fast. No snow in the forecast yet.
High today was another record for this date. Must have been 60 some.

Here's a pic of the finished house.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2010
3:02 AM

Post #8205966

Nice work Bernie!
Turned out perfectly.

32 and clear heading for 70

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 11, 2010
3:27 AM

Post #8205974

Bernie, looks great!
Tropic, that's a wonderful bloom!
SallyBP, is that car from your DH's private collection?

Cloudy today, but still too warm for this time of year, 69F. I had to water the mums, still no rain.
Little Nicholas had a cold, he's OK now!LOL

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #8206056

Another warm day (lower 70s) predicted here before the front comes in and knocks us down to more seasonable temps. I hope it brings some much-needed rain, as well.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 11, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #8206189

AAWW Adina he's so cute and growing like a weed! Glad he's ok from his cold, poor little guy!

Poo Pep, no more blooms. Tis the season I guess, just a slew of leaves to clean up.

Bernie the house looks awesome!!

Another warm day here too, high of 75 and sunny.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 11, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #8206321

Now we need to get the inside done so they can use it. But it's a pay as you go, so they need to wait until they have more money.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #8206856

51* all day, coudy breezy and a definate change in temps.

Chrissy, thanks for the info on Mau. That's too bad about that bug.

Pepper, smiling over being thrown off by Bernie.

Bernie, I'll bet the wood is just gorgeous! What a beautiful house!

Adina, he is growing fast! I hope his cold didn't make him too crabby!

Sally Sun, we need rain too!

Bernie, at least they pay and don't go over their budget. Smart!

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #8207172

RAINING!!!! Whooo hoooo!!!! It's colder too. Was nice this morning then a cold front moved in and dropped the temps down a bit.

JcPenny's has a new thing going on for the holidays this year. You can adopt a senior or child and help them out by buying them clothes or other items they need. They teamed up with The Salvation Army to do this. Here is a link in case anyone is able to help someone in your area. A pretty neat idea.

http://angel.jcpenney.com/search.aspx?cm_ven=SITEWIDE OFFER&cm_cat=1104ANGEL&cm_pla=BDY&cm_ite=adopt your angel

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 12, 2010
12:41 AM

Post #8207530

I'm hoping for some rain too, but it's still warm and sunny...not that I don't like it!LOL
Now I got a cold too...ugh! I need to get well ASAP, I still have so much cleaning to do!
Thanks, Crissy and SallyBP!
Sallysun, how are you feeling? you're still in my prayers everyday.
Pepper, what a great idea!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2010
3:09 AM

Post #8207566

45. Cloudy with a few showers. High around 60. Winds ENE at 10 to 20 Showers this evening, becoming a steady rain overnight.
Low 43. Winds E at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%.
Sunrise: 6:50 am Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 47 min
Dyson Dark.

Pepper, I'm waiting for your rain! That is a neat way to help. Thanks for the link!

Adina, such a pretty Mum! I've really enjoyed yur colors!

The sidewalk is wet from a small cloud that passed over us. I sure hope it tracks more easterly or we aren't going to get much more than that.

I have two chickens thawed for the stew pot today. Marylyn had been talking chicken soup and it sounds so good!!

We were at an old wagon trail cemetery a couple of weeks ago and they had the neatest headstones. We didn't know the story till we came home and looked it up. It was so neat to just see stone after stone with such different carvings than we're used to seeing.

This one tugs at your heart. It's storks.

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2010
5:44 AM

Post #8207686

Thanks for inquiring, Adina. I had the port implanted Wednesday (still a bit sore) and will have my first treatment in the clinical trial Monday. I will be staying with my son about half the time if things go well, as he lives near the clinic where the drug trial is being held. That should be interesting for both of us. I hope I can get on line without too much difficulty, as I want to keep track of what is going on with friends all over the world.
Weather is staying warm for a few more days--in the 70s again today and tomorrow, according to the forecast. My eldest DD and DH will do the weather recording and reporting while I am not at home.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #8208684

Well, I'm back again after being offline all week. My laptop is still in the shop but my DD is letting me use hers while she is away from home this week-end. She dropped it off today when she brought her dog for me to dogsit. I'm too far behind to comment on everything but if I haven't already welcomed our newcomers, then I say "welcome" to you!

Sunfarm, big hugs to you and we will definitely be thinking of you and praying for you.

The weather here has been picture perfect this week. It has been in the mid 70's F for highs. It has been about 12 degrees above our normal but is supposed to get down into the 50'sF for highs and low 40's for lows this week-end and next week. I actually saw a few cloudless sulphur butterflies as well as a buckeye and a smaller gold butterfly with a darker band today. They most likely won't be around for too many more days.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2010
6:02 PM

Post #8208842

Still raining. Off and on it's been pouring. I've been running errands all day and at times had a hard time seeing. Even when it was getting dark and was finally dark I could barely see the roads. Just one of those days. It's pretty chilly too and not gonna warm up much anytime soon. Des Moines has a chance of snow tonight and Omaha is currently getting a mix.

I went to a local artist co-op tonight and had a heck of a time getting there. The road, which was mud and some gravel was really slick so I was sliding all over the place. Then I get there, had some stuff to buy and they tell me they don't have a card machine this year. AAARRGH!!! LOL. I told them my mom will be there tomorrow to get the stuff I wanted. lol. She tried to use my nephew to get out of it but I told her to take him with her. hehehehe. Then when I was leaving I decided to back into this muddy spot to turn around. It was a hard mud, not the soft mud, and I ended up getting the back end stuck a bit. Stuck it in 4 wheel drive and got out with no trouble. Gotta love the 4 wheel!! LOL

A cheery picture.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #8208907

Pepper, it looks like the leaf is talking to the flower. LOL

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 12, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #8208927

I think peppers rain is going to be our snow tomorrow.
High was only 40 today. Very little wind.

Cleaned out the shed so the tractor can be parked inside. It is our snow removal machine, so needs to be dry.

Tore down some of the old greenhouse. Will get started on the new one soon.

Blew the water out of all the outside plumbing today, also. We have water piped down in the garden. About a mile all together. Also to 3 greenhouses, the chicken house & the veggie barn.

Got the chicken house finished so now they have more room.

No plans for tomorrow, have to wait & see what the weather brings.

Bernie

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2010
4:04 AM

Post #8209151

50 with a high of 48.
Rain showers this morning with overcast skies during the afternoon hours. Winds SSW at 15 to 25 mph. Temperatures will slowly fall through the day, with readings dropping into the 30s in most areas by late afternoon. Brisk southwest to west winds will make it feel even colder. Chance of rain 80%.
Sunrise: 6:51 am. Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 1 min
Still Dyson Dark

Sally Sun, I'm kicking myself for forgetting to add you when I finish reading everyone's posts. You are in my thoughts and prayers every day!! I'm glad the port is in without too much pain. You have a few days to relax now. I'm so glad your Son lives where he does. It's such a big help. ((((HUGS))))

Marsue, welcome back!

Pepper, it is too soon to be sliding all over the place!! A big hooray for 4 wheel drive and your ability to get yourself out!! Booo on no card machine! Awww, for some reason that picture is adorable!

Celia, yes, in a tiny little voice! Too cute!

Bernie, just rain for us, but yes, it looks like snow for the North and West! Yep, we blew out the hoses with the air compressor and put them away for another year. You have a lot more on your plate tho! It's time to get out and take pictures!

I got my rain overnight, but I doubt it was too much. It's nice right now, but I hear the wind gusting at times.

Today I think we'll have creamed chicken over biscuits for dinner with my spinach from the freezer. I have leftover canned ''Tomato Bisque'' soup to go with it. A lot of healthy colors :o)
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2010
5:49 AM

Post #8209232

I fear that most of the midwestern rain will go by to the north of us, but hope we can get a bit tomorrow morning.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 13, 2010
6:07 AM

Post #8209296

Covered in snow this morning. About 2" of real wet stuff. Trees are hanging low, some broke off already.
A good day to hide in the corner. LOL!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2010
8:43 AM

Post #8209445

Bernie, do you have a fire going?
It's cooler here--in the 50's for a high today and we had some rain early, early this morning but it has all moved out to the east of us. Kind of a dreary day, weather-wise, but certainly no snow here!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 13, 2010
8:52 AM

Post #8209454

We have electric heat. Thermostats are set at 70, so nice & warm all the time.
Best thing we ever did! No chance of house blowing up, no fuel smell. Heating cost is way down from when we had fuel oil & we have an extra 440 Sq FT since we built on.

Snow has let up & is melting slowly. A couple branches are broke, but otherwise nothing seriously wrong.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #8210075

I heard about your snow after I got home. I don't want snow just yet. Want to enjoy what little fall we've had. It's been more like summer with changing leaves.

Cold, windy, partly sunny today. Chance of frost tonight.

Blushing Knockout before I stuck her in a shady corner for the winter. I always stick potted plants that I need to overwinter outside in a protected corner to help them make it thru winter ok.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2010
10:09 PM

Post #8210375

Hello Everyone!!!!!!!

I heard about your snow on the Weather Channel! It sure looks pretty in pictures!
I hope everyone is OK, and that your plants are OK!

We had snow last year (near Houston, TX) plus one week that did not get above freezing!. I am praying for a warm winter this year! I did buy some wind curtains from Walmart to put up on my patio to help protect my Tropicals, just in case.
They probably won't go up until Dec. 1st.

Hi Pepper! I agree with you...NO SNOW! That's why I left Northern, Indiana, forty miles from Chicago at the age of 9, many years ago!!!!!!!!!!! I know that you will get snow eventually, but maybe it'll be a light year for you also.

We've been enjoying 75 to 80 deg. weather off and on until this week. It is cooler today. We were in need of rain which we got this past week. I was very thankful that I did not have to water.

Jeanne

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 14, 2010
12:47 AM

Post #8210428

Hi guys! I'm still here, among the living!LOL I'm feeling much better, but still weak...so there's another resting day for me. DH wants to make a BBQ today before the veggie diet before Christmas starts (although we're eating veggies only on Wednesdays and Fridays). I have to make a caramel cream for dessert. We bought some strawberry ice-cream, the one I like, but I couldn't eat any of it, so DH almost finished it...arrrrghhh!
Sally, chicken soup sounds yummy! I promissed to show you the Merry cemetery in Sapanta, Romania.

http://www.romanianmonasteries.org/maramures/sapanta

Bernie, wonderful about the electric heat!
Mau, glad you're with us!
Sallysun, so wonderful you can stay at your DS place! I hope you two will get along well. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Jeanne, welcome! Glad you had some rain so you don't have to water.
Pepper, I have a few roses just like yours Knockout.

I have to go out a look for the doggies, they aren't here...maybe ot for hunting!LOL The other day Gavrila had a rabbit...I'll spare you of the details!
Last night I talked to DD and Nicholas. I took this picture of the monitor to show you how we're talking and seeing each other.

Adina
Adina

Still warm here

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2010
4:23 AM

Post #8210531

33* and I left a box of calla lilies in the garage. I wasn't going to dig them, but did after all. I'll have to check them and sack them up. My bad :o(

Sally Sun, we didn't get enough rain. Where is the rainy, grey, gloomy November? Are you ready for the move today? I hope it doesn't wear you out! Prayers for a new beginning tomorrow!

Bernie, I agree with hiding in the corner :o) Hope it's next to a register! It's almost as cheap to use electricity here too. Funny how the are so close in price now. I can't belive you had broken branches. I'm still getting a few deadfall on the ground.

Pepper, I can't believe you can overwinter in a pot! She is still pretty!

Welcome Texasgal177/Jeanne! Always nice to have another weather reporter! I've never heard of wind curtains. They sound neat :o)

Adina, I didn't know you were so wiped out. Yes, plenty of rest! Smiling over the veggie diet. I have ''big salad'' fixings in the fridge and we ended up eating the creamed chicken on biscuits. But I did have spinach! I have a guy who won't leave the ice cream alone too. Solution? I get my own box. He has to stay out of it. I savor, he doesn't :o)

The Merry Cemetery is wonderful! How amazing to have the cross carved with your life on it, then write your own saying! I'm glad he has an apprentice to carry on. This is an art that should not be lost.

That's a nice size view to enjoy Nicholas and Andreea. Does he smile and talk when he sees you?
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 14, 2010
5:12 AM

Post #8210566

Welcome to Texas Gal. Always room for one more around here! :o))

Pepper: I like your blushing knock-out! All seven of my knock-outs are red but they are in the ground and not in pots. I need to trim them back some as they have all gotten quite large.
Adina: hope you feel much better very soon! Enjoy the barbecue! It's nice to be able to talk to our friends and family via the internet and see them, too! Nicholas is as cute as ever! The Merry Cemetery is amazing--such wonderful crosses/headstones! That's really nice about putting the poems about the person's life on the crosses.
BP: hope the calla lilies survived the cold in the garage! I think calla lilies are just gorgeous and I keep telling myself that I am going to get some of them. Maybe next spring.

Should be a lovely day today. 60F for a high with light and variable winds. Sunny, too. :o))
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 14, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #8210637

Welcome Texasgal!
I share your love of Tropicals...
If you get down near Pearland before Christmas stop in and see our buddy Santa Don at the Pro Bass Shop!

Adina I love the theme behind that cemetery.
So much Joy of a Life lived.
In appearance it reminds me of the one Kiska posted in Alaska.
Joyful Colors.

Well the weather has finally turned here.
Cooler and in the low/mid 50's all week.
In fact we're finally back to the Normal Averages: High 54 Low 36
Bit of rain spit thru last night.
More scheduled for Tues/Weds.
Robyn has the yard pretty well buttoned up for the Winter.
We still have a few Dahlia and Oxalis bulbs to dig and cure but...

We'll be hanging the panels next weekend on Sue's GH.
Vent window is in and the door ready to hang.
They stained the framing we already had up to match the logs.
Came out well.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 14, 2010
5:59 AM

Post #8210648

Here's the ventilation window.
We weren't allowed to drill into the concrete wall so we had to pressure fit everything to the left.

Thumbnail by henryr10

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 14, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #8210687

Jeanne, welcome!
We don't worry about plants here. Everything perennial is Zone 4 or lower, so can take whatever is dished out. We love frozen ground & good cold, below zero, temperatures.
Freezing does wonders for the soil. Bugs & insects of all kinds die off every winter & have to get here from some other place the next summer. They blow in on south winds from areas like Texas where it don't freeze.

I stopped at the local watering hole last night. Some people lost whole trees to the heavy snow. Roads were a mess yet. Lots of slush that made driving a bit tricky.
Twin Cities area had 60,000 people without electricity. Around here our power company does a great job of keeping trees away from lines. A company was through here last week trimming trees & brush.

Vikings & Bears game is on at noon, so that will be today's action. Got to rest now & then.

Temperature must be around 34. Cold but snow is melting slowly.

Bernie
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 14, 2010
9:17 AM

Post #8211001

Bernie, you are correct about the cold killing out the bugs. I don't like cold weather but it would be nice to have a good, bug-killing snow for a change because we have more than our share of the pesky critters--and weeds, too! Sorry to hear about all those folks without power!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #8211520

So much to catch up on!!! Eeeeeek!!! And a new member!!! Welcome, Jeanne. Shove over, everyone.

Cold here today. 40 and beginning to rain. Snow expected but we don't knoiw how much or when.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2010
5:47 PM

Post #8211771

I love snow but since fall this year has been so warm I wanted a chance to enjoy fall before winter hits. lol. Almost ready for snow now though!! lol

Warmer today with temps in the 50s and sunny til late afternoon. Then clouds rolled in and temps dropped about 10 degrees. Worked outside cleaning up my zinnas and coneflowers for the winter. Planted a few lilies and another allium.

Blueberry bush's fall color. Gotta get another bush next year for fruit. This one isn't self fertile like tag claimed. Oh well, no biggie. :~)

Thumbnail by pepper23

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 15, 2010
7:39 AM

Post #8212642

Hi everyone! Thanks for the comments about the Merry cemetery, it's one of our most visited places in Romania.
SallyBP, thanks for caring, I'm feeling much better today after so much rest. Nicholas is so cute and laughs all the time, but he isn't so much aware of me being on the other side of the webcam. He is more attentive when he hears me laugh because I have a "colored" laugh!LOL But he is aware of the camera and looks right at it!
Mau, thank you too for caring! It really worked staying still for a few days and just taking the pills. I must say I ate a pound of honey and same amount of lemons these days!LOL
Celia, that's a lovely sky!
Ric, good work, looks great! You're right, I remember about Kiska posting about the cemetery.

It's a wonderful time here, 71F again and no wind. I watered the mums and pansies.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2010
10:35 AM

Post #8212951

Hi Everyone!!! I've been gone all weekend, plus a couple days, how did that happen? Got busy I guess

We dropped 20* between Friday and Saturday and now the bedroom where the computer is gets way too cold so I just say no, I might end up with frost bite LOL

We have electric heat too, I don't really notice a difference from my gas furnace I had in CA.

Hi Jeanne!! Welcome!!!

Wow Ric! That looks nice!

Adina glad your feeling better! Sometimes we just need to rest. What did we ever do without all of this technology we have now?
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #8213363

DG is featuring an article by Kelli. The article was orginally written in May, 2009, but they are featuring it again. Here's the link:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2408/

glad you are back with us, Crissy! :o))
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #8213709

Pretty warm today. Highs in the high 50s. Cracked open my back window a bit to let fresh cool air in on the way home. I can turn off the heater in my truck but you would still swear it's on sometimes. lol

Salvia and I think the red one is salvia too. The purple salvia was supposed to be an annual but the whole clump came back this year. I like it so I was happy.

Thumbnail by pepper23

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2010
3:52 AM

Post #8214263

Pretty salvia, pepper!

It's raining this morning but should move on out later this afternoon. We'll be up in the mid-50's for a high today. Check out this link to the earthquakes we have had in north central Ark. lately. Some folks are saying that it is due to all the drilling by the gas companies over the last couple of years. The "experts" say that has nothing to do with it.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Maps/US10/32.42.-95.-85_eqs.php

Some of my flowers have made it past the recent frosts we have had although most of them have finally succumbed to the colder temps.
Even the Cloudless Sulphur butterflies stayed around for a while after the frost.

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #8214350

31* the fog is lifting and the sun is trying to come out!

Marsue, I didn't have Callas, but the tubers/corms are large! I did get them trimmed and brought in. I think they are OK! I've used the smaller one's that I knew wouldn't bloom yet, as just an accent for a shady path. I have white blooms, and one called Cameo.

Ric, I just love that GH!

Bernie,, the bugs dying is the only reason I want cold weather too. We just haven't had a lot of really below zero temps to kill the worst. I can't believe how damaging the snow was! I'm sure glad it was ok at your place!

Celia, laughing. I started singing ''There were twenty in the bed and Celia said, "shove over, shove over!" Ok, I shoved over! Wow, pretty cloud!

Pepper, we are working outside too. I'm loving the 50's right now. Can we ever have enough blueberries?

Adina, I'll bet Nicholas does know your laugh! You must be buzzing like a bee now with all that honey :o) Such pretty Mum colors!

Chrissy, we missed you. We're just used to people being busy and not being here now. I was so happy to get my new computer in my kitchen. DH got the room you described. When we had dial-up and one old computer I would sit on my "mouse" hand trying to warm it up to type. No more!!

Marsue, thanks for the Kelli article! That was interesting!

Pepper, I love it when we love our plants even if it wasn't what we expected!

Marsue, as I said before, I think earthquakes just happen on their own. He's the perfect yellow to show off the hot pink! (I love his freckles :o)

Yesterday was great! We hung a few more Christmas lights and I hung clothes. The house got caught up and I made Swiss steak. I have more meals in the fridge at this time! We just rotate till the leftovers are gone :o) Today we'll finish the big salads and creamed chicken. Tomorrow, we eat Swiss steak!

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #8214543

Good Morning Everyone!!

Everyone!! They had it on 60 minutes last Sunday and another show that the drilling IS causing the earthquakes, it's called Fracking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fracking

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 16, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #8214783

Kelli, loved your article! Very beautiful pictures of the cactuses too!
Ric, Celia congratulations for the winning pictures in the contest! I had one too!
SallyBP, you're already hanging Christmas lights! Your meals sound yummy!
Mau, so many earthquakes...grrr! I hate earthquakes! We've had several big ones and just the thought of one earthquake makes me shiver! I wish they would let alone all that digging! Are those lobelia?So pretty!
Crissy, thanks for caring!Stay warm!

Not so warm today, a bit chilly in the morning, but also unusually warm for November.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2010
9:00 AM

Post #8214786

??? I won???

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 16, 2010
9:02 AM

Post #8214788

Crissy, I've heard that word for so many times in the Battlestar Gallactica show and it didn't mean drilling!LOL

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 16, 2010
9:05 AM

Post #8214794

Not a first or second, but you were among the winners with one of your sunsets.
Check the link :

http://davesgarden.com/contest/2010-photography-contest

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #8214799

I immediately went there and found it. Thanks for the heads-up! Woo hoo!!! Out of all those beautiful shots... wow.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2010
9:10 AM

Post #8214801

LOL Adina! Apparently it does here. I'm going to go look at the winners!!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 16, 2010
10:16 AM

Post #8214907

Crissy, I was beginning to wonder where does that word come from!ROTFLOL
Ric has so many great winning pictures, 2 only on Macro category!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #8215128

Adina: ROFLOL!
thanks Crissy, for the definition but I'm still laughing over Adina's remark! It seems that the earthquake experts are wrong! (and I am still giggling over Adina's remark!)

Congrats, Ric and Celia! You should have told us you had entries--I would have voted for both of your entries but as it is I didn't vote at all.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2010
2:03 PM

Post #8215303

I was going to and forgot!!! LOL
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #8215364

ROFLOL!!!!! That's because the earthquake experts are in California where there's dirt instead of rock and clay, and small explosions like that just move the dirt around and don't cause earthquakes. I think the experts
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2010

Post #8215765

Still in the 50s today but tomorrow we will only be in the low 40s with rain and a chance of a few snowflakes here and there. Winter is starting to arrive!!

Red Shift coreopstis bloom earlier this fall.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #8215781

LOL!
The geologic term used to be frac'ing.
Now after BG it's fracking... and drilling works I guess... ;-)

On the photo contest.
Congrats to Celia and Adina. GREAT shots!
I deliberately didn't mention the shots I'd put in.
Better test that way.
PS I've already sold the second place I got in Butterflies...

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #8215787

I put a couple pictures in but didn't have time to do more. Took too long to load. Congrats on all those who did enter and those who placed.

Congrats on selling a picture Ric!!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2010
8:48 PM

Post #8216130

I wanna sell mine! LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2010
3:17 AM

Post #8216264

Looks like the rain is over.
42 (Wind Chill 37)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2010
4:06 AM

Post #8216302

Mostly cloudy. High near 45. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Sunrise: 6:56 am
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 10 min
Still Dyson Dark

Chrissy, thanks for the info on Fracking. I should have known. It's not a good thing.

Adnina, your Mums are happy! LOL over ''Battlestar Galactica's'' use of the word!

Congratulations to the winners!! We have such talented people! Now I need time to look at each category.

Marsue, I giggled a few times after also, over Adina!

Pepper, I love red Shift!

Ric, I'm glad they added the K. It deserves to be a stronger word. I agree with not telling. It should be fair. A sale too! Fantastic!

Chicken broth and chicken fat, or smalt, from two stewing hens.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2010
4:07 AM

Post #8216305

15 jars of canned broth

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #8216485

Chicken soup!(--among other things) Yum!
Adina, I think that you had asked about the bush in my photo of the yellow butterfly. It is a Hot Lips salvia--not a lobelia. The butterflies and bees just love it!

today's forecast:

Today: Sunny skies during the morning giving way to clouds and a few showers late. High 67F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
Tonight: A few showers this evening with mostly clear conditions overnight. Low near 40F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

From last week: one single bloom left on the "Whirling Butterflies" guara.

Thumbnail by marsue

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 17, 2010
10:46 AM

Post #8216970

Sally, never heard of canned broth! How are you keeping it? Or where, I should have asked?
Mau, thanks for the correction, I think I got that wrong from somewhere else. Glad I made you giggle! I had such funn too! Love that last bloom too.
Ric, thanks! Where did you sell the picture? Great job! Congrats!

It's been chilly today and cloudy, winter can't be far! I have a new picture from Nicholas...the Santa hat was too small for him!LOL

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #8217628

Actually sold the picture not long after I posted it on Flickr.
It was to a periodical specializing in pollinating insects.
That makes 6 shots sold this year.
Flickr is a good place to showcase.

Very Cool 50 today.
Felt more like 40.

Looks like mid 60's by the weekend.

Mau that's one of our favs!

Adina Saint Nicholas looks GREAT!

Man that's a lot of broth BP.
We just freeze it. Haven't canned since Mom passed.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2010
6:33 PM

Post #8217689

Cold, wet and only gonna get colder tonight. Snow is falling in some areas but not here. We are pretty close to the freezing point now that the sun is gone. The rain will freeze overnight so roads will be slick in the morning. Highs tomorrow only in the low 40s if we're lucky.

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2010
4:20 AM

Post #8218035

Through 10am: Partly to mostly sunny with temperatures steady in the low 30s.
Today: Partly cloudy. High 42. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.
Chance of Precip: 10%
Sunrise: 6:57 am
Dyson Dark

Marsue, it's too cold here for Gaura, but I do love them!

Adina, it's just on the pantry shelf. I try to keep all the jars in the dark. When they are in the bookcases, they are covered with a nice pillowcase or long towel as a curtain.

He's a wonderful Santa's Helper!

Ric, that is fantastic on selling the pictures!! Smiling. I can things because I don't have room in the freezer. And it keeps for years, even tho I will make soup, rice and noodle casseroles with it.

Pepper, none of your weather is reaching me. Isn't it funy how thru all these freezes there are still blooms hanging on?
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #8218208

Good Morning!

Right now it's 49* and cloudy, supposed to clear throughout the day and high is supposed to be 55*. We got rain and a thunderstorm yesterday evening that we weren't supposed to get, apparently the Low came further south than they thought it was going to, woo hooo!!!

Adina he is just the cutest!!!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #8218227

It's so cold here now:

Joplin Regional Airport
Lat: 37.18 Lon: -94.5 Elev: 982
Last Update on Nov 18, 7:53 am CST

Fog/Mist

32 F
(0 C)
Humidity: 92 %
Wind Speed: N 7 MPH
Barometer: 30.41" (1030.2 mb)
Dewpoint: 30 F (-1 C)
Wind Chill: 26 F (-3 C)
Visibility: 5.00 mi.

Has raining last night...

This message was edited Nov 18, 2010 8:37 AM
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2010

Post #8218323

It's cold here today too, Rusty. 37F and cloudy, real feel 35F, humidity 80%. Forecast high today is 46F. It's supposed to start warming up tomorrow and be pleasant this weekend - mid 60's.

We got some rain late in the afternoon yesterday. I didn't have my rain gauge out so I'm not sure how much, but it only rained lightly for a little while. :-( We need rain.

Adina - Nicholas is sooo cute!

Kwanjin - Congrats!

Marsue - 'Whirling Butterflies' is one of my favorite plants. Mine is all gone now. Nice to see you still have one bloom left. The 'Hot Lips' Salvia is pretty, too.

Pepper - Love that 'Red Shift' coreopsis! How were the roads this morning?

Billy - Chicken soup - yum! Tonight would be a good night for soup. I have Polish sausage and cabbage planned, but I might just have to make a hamburger stew instead and make the sausage and cabbage tomorrow night.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #8218421

Waving at everyone!!! I gotta run because the guys are on their way to install new attic insulation. Yea!!!

57 and windy today.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2010
10:48 AM

Post #8218772

YEA Celia! Right on!!

It's reached 50 now and it's still cloudy, and windy too bbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #8219285

Here's for tomorrow so cold early:

Friday: Sunny, with a high near 62. Wind chill values as low as 29 early. South wind between 10 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph

I gonna to stay inside until it warm this weekend for sure...
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #8219371

45 (Wind Chill 43)

We had some rain as I left for work.
It followed me in.
Sun broke out about 2PM.
Looks like the Alberta Clipper has sunk pretty far south.

We should be back near 60 by week's end.
Not a good Thanksgiving forecast but it's still far away forecast-wise.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #8219424

Still pretty chilly today but I think we came close to 50. I could be wrong though. lol. Sunny today with a slight breeze.

Roads were fine this morning. By the time I left for work everything was melted and you would have never known that it froze overnight.

Well, my truck is broke down again today. I'm going to Iowa this weekend and sent my truck to the shop to have the oil changed and just checked out to make sure it was up to speed and ready to go. My mechanic got in there and found that both wheel bearings and both hubs were bad, fuel filter was bad, and that the back spring on the driver's side (the one that is arc shaped) is broke also. The spring can be replaced down the road. I just can't do any kind of hauling with my truck til I get it fixed.

The hubs both got replaced last year when they went bad but it turns out that the seal on them wasn't any good or something like that and it allowed water and mud to get in and mess up my wheel bearings, which was also replaced on the driver's side either last year or the year before. So my mechanic has my truck til he get's it all fixed by tomorrow night. He said it was just a matter of time before they broke on me and really messed up my truck.

The funny thing is my youngest brother's truck is also there at the shop waiting to be worked on. lol. He has motor problems on his truck. Blown head gasket and a broken cylinder. We specialize in broken trucks in this family!! LOL!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 18, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #8219443

High today must have been all of 33. Water wasn't freezing, but south wind was giving a good wind chill.

Put in the ground posts for our hoophouse today.

Then went & installed a mirror frame. Now this bathroom is complete. Birch wood with a special lacquer stain & finish. Doesn't show in the picture how beautiful it really is.
People love it & that is the main thing.
She picked out the design & color at a bathroom sales place. We improved on the whole thing. She couldn't find a mirror she liked, so bought an ugly thing & we made a frame to match the vanity.

Going to stay in & be warm tonight!
Bernie

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2010
3:23 AM

Post #8219782

31 and breezy!
Through 10am: Partly cloudy with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the mid 30s.
A mix of clouds and sun with gusty winds. High 52. Winds SW at 20 to 30 mph.
Sunrise: 6:59 am Time Until Sunrise: 2 hrs 31 min.

Sally Sun, praying daily that you are getting along with the treatments! Praying hard that it will work!! Rest, be pampered and come back good as new!

Chrissy, don't you love the weathermen's "Future Cast" predictions? At least the rain was a good thing!

Rusty, I'm with you on so cold. I've been wearing thermals already!

Ima, those mid 60's sound wonderful. Bettter than the low 50's! We aren't getting any of that rain. I have brief bursts and then nothing :o(

The chicken soup will be wonderful! It is absolutely comfort food! Now I have sauerkraut to eat! That would go well with your polish sausage.

Celia, ~ ~ How warm the insulation will feel!

Ric, the forcast is good for those who are home with a hot bird in the oven, but not those travelling :o(

Oh Pepper, what's the matter with your poor truck. I hope they can get it fixed and on their dime this time!! LOL with you :o)

Bernie, you are a miracle worker! Hope you post a picture anyway.

My sauerkraut was a success. It was done in just under 4 weeks and tastes great!! That was 15# of cabbage. I transfered it to a gallon pickle jar, two quart jar and a large bowl, to store in the fridge.

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #8220059

Good job on the 'kraut, BP!

Waving to everyone~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have two mystery shops to do today so I have to get busy.

Sunny and highs in the mid-sixties today. Yesterday was overcast, windy and cooler but it should be a lovely day today! :o))
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #8220064

Good Morning Everyone!

Wow BP, good thing I don't like kraut. lol

Pep that sucks about your truck, who was the person who fixed the bearings and hubs last time?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #8221001

My dad fixed it last time. The bearings only went bad because the hubs had bad seals on them. It's all fixed now. My mechanic came by work today and switched trucks with me. I wish he would work on my dad's truck as a Christmas gift but that's not gonna happen. LOL

Today was sunny, cool, around 55 or so with a strong breeze all day.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 20, 2010
1:28 AM

Post #8221316

Hi guys! Sunny today, 60F. It was foggy this morning but now it's gone.
SallyBP, congratulations for the sauerkraut! I can't believe the soup in the jars is keeping for years in that place. It's good to know!
Mau, can't wait to hear about your adventures as a mystery shopper!
Ric, I like the Santa Nicholas name! Yesterday my neighbor showed me his new doggie, a pup which you suggested I might take in my yard : Romanian Carpathian Shepherd!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2010

Post #8221680

Adina: you can read about my mystery shopping on the private thread at that other place. :o)) I can't really talk about them publicly and this is a public thread. Love the Carpathian Shepherd--so pretty and lots of fur!! Looks like a dog that should be in a cold-weather place.

Overcast and foggy here. Not that cold but the dampness seem to go right through your bones! :o(( We are supposed to have a high of 70F today but I hope the sun comes out soon or we won't make it to 70.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2010
7:34 AM

Post #8221686

A beautiful dog your neighbor has there.

A storm is starting across the country. Hitting us tomorrow with a possiblity of 18" of the white stuff. Heading to the grocery store today.

This message was edited Nov 20, 2010 8:35 AM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2010
11:35 AM

Post #8221972

Thanks on the kraut. We've almost eaten the casserole dishful already!

Pepper, I wish that Christmas gift for you too :o)

Adina, as long they stay sealed, they keep a long time! What a beautiful dog!!

Marsue, we're having that damp cold air now. It does go to the bones!

Celia, she's so ADORABLE!!! What a smile!!

I forgot weather earlier, so here it is now.

Overcast, cold East wind with a high of 44*
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2010
6:33 PM

Post #8222477

Love her Celia!
Course who doesn't love happy babies!

Foggy Foggy morning.
100 miles of Fog. Very dense at times.
Temps never broke out of the 40's, clouds never broke.
Had two deer run in front of us about 1/2 way up to Urbana.
Not close but certainly not needed.
It got to 58 down here and Sunny...errrrrrrrr

Next weekend will see the GH airtight.
And hopefully the trim/exterior finished.
The black and white bottom will be covered w/ log trim.
We'll be pulling the white center trim/channel and painting it Hunter Green to match the window.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 20, 2010
9:10 PM

Post #8222682

All this talk about cold weather! Every time I open the fridge now I think of all of you. I suppose it'll soon be when I open the freezer door.

Have been getting a bit of rain. Less than average and it's very hot in between. Today's minimum was 23.7C (74.7F). Yesterday's maximum was 35.1C (95.2F). Today, just after midday, it's got to 35.1C again, so far. Heat index got to 44.5C (112.1F), it could also climb before the day is out. A few days ago it got to 46.5C (115.7F).

Humidity is high but I would still like more rain. So far for this month 91.4 mm (3.60 inches). Average from my records is 141.3 mm (5.56 inches). But there's still just over a week to go.

Working out in the garden during the day isn't very appealing now. I bought myself a work style floodlight so I can make up during the night what doesn't get done in the day. The work keeps piling up whatever the weather.

Adina, looks like you're lining up Nicholas up for some early work experience.

Sally Sunfarm, good to see you're progressing. Always better to be able to stay with family while you're going through these treatments. I had to go into hospital last year some 5000 kilometres away. Luckily I had a friend living near there, it made such a difference.

SallyBP, I like sauerkraut but you can't buy good stuff these days. And I'm not the type to make it, although my mother was good at it.

Henry, the GH looks great. But I notice the timber goes to the ground. You don't have termites there?

I finally put another article up on the other site, about turtles this time, the seafaring kind. I've expanded that site to include all our reptiles and amphibians.

http://cubits.org/crocodiles/articles/view/752/

This is one of our wild flowers which is flowering all over the place now, Abelmoschus moschatus, Native Rosella.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2010
4:16 AM

Post #8222847

42 with a high of High 58
Through 10am: Cloudy with temperatures rising towards the upper 40s.
Patchy morning drizzle possible. Generally cloudy. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph.
Sunrise: 7:01 am
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 5 min
Moon Bright!

Hoping to hang the last two trees with Christmas lights. If not, I still have two or three weeks to wait for nice weather.

Ric, very lucky to not hit the deer! The greenhouse, I could live in it. Watching it snow thru the windows, priceless!

Tropic, I was thinking about you yesterday :o) ROTFL! I qualify for the freezer since I've already been wearing thermals! That is too hot!

This kraut was good! Last year no, and it didn't smell like dead mouse, so we were able to do it in the house. The key is to really stomp it and break the fibers. I have an admiration for the women who churned butter. My arms got tired!

I adore turtles!! Even the ugly snappers! Another great article!!

Lovely flower. Is this called Flower Of An Hour? It's similar to the weeds we have. So pretty, but they can take over, as I found :o)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 21, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #8222912

Lovely weather here today. A nice thin coating of ice on everything. 31
Twin cities got hit the worst. 300 plus accidents, one of over 30 cars, & 160 off the road. Even sanding truck drivers were having trouble getting to their trucks.
Supposed to go above freezing this morning, so should thaw off.
I'm tearing apart a bedroom today. Last room downstairs to remodel. It is old lath & plaster, so makes a big mess!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2010
9:00 AM

Post #8223218

Celia: Aurora is precious.!! When my son was about 6 mos. old, he had a hairdo just like Aurora's! LOL
Ric; good job on the GH!
Tropic: laughing about you thinking of us everytime you open the fridge or freezer!
Bernie: ice on everything makes it so hazardous! Even so, you manage to stay busy, don't you? :o)

I think the weather liars are at it again. It sure doesn't feel nearly as warm as they say it is. It is cloudy and damp which makes it seem so much colder. Feels like 45F to me. :o((
Today: Generally cloudy. High 72F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph.
Tonight: Mostly cloudy. Low 57F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph.

I was looking at the extended forecast and "they" are saying we will have highs near 70F through Wednesday and then on Thursday the high will be in the mid-40's!! I guess Celia is sending us her cold weather! You can have it back Celia, LOL

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2010
9:23 AM

Post #8223257

It warm here and I just open some windows to breeze inside for fresh air before it will hit rain tonight...

Joplin Regional Airport
Last Update on Nov 21, 10:53 am CST

Overcast and Breezy

67 F
(19 C)
Humidity: 73 %
Wind Speed: S 23 G 31 MPH
Barometer: 29.92" (1012.5 mb)
Dewpoint: 58 F (14 C)

This Afternoon: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 68. Breezy, with a south wind between 18 and 21 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Tonight: A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 60. South wind around 18 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph.

Monday: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 69. Southwest wind 17 to 20 mph decreasing to between 9 and 12 mph. Winds could gust as high as 28 mph.

Monday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44. Southwest wind between 4 and 7 mph becoming calm.

Can you believe on Thanksgiving will be chilly:

Thanksgiving Day: Mostly sunny, with a high near 35.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 21.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2010
11:39 AM

Post #8223441

Perfect day here.
66 Sunny all the windows are open.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #8224247

Yesterday in des moines it was cloudy and temps in mid 40s. Down here it should have reached at least the 50s. Today in des Moines it reached 50s, cloudy and the occasional spit of rain. Down here probably in the low 60s and cloudy. If it rained it quit early.

VooDoo Doll tropical hibicus.

Thumbnail by pepper23

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #8224338

Beautiful hib, Pepper!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #8224425

Loving all the pics and stories! Too tired to comment on everything. We've spent the last 2 days at a gun show and getting rid of snow on the walks and driveway. We got many things including a new handgun. A Springfield XD subcompact 9mm. Perfect for home and self-defense.

Mau, we've been calling her Fauxhawk Bebe. I don't want the snow. That's why I sent it away. :-)

Cold, snowy, breezy. 34 now and 100% chance of more snow for the next 3-4 days.

11" that has compacted/melted down to 8". Darrell shoveled a path for me to the GH and the shed. Thanks, Love!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 22, 2010
3:11 AM

Post #8224617

Sally, I remember when I was a little kid my mother got into making butter. We lived in a dairy area and she'd get the milk direct from the farm. I think later she found it easier on her arm to just reach up onto a supermarket shelf. I did some Green Turtle monitoring as well, we called it "Turtle Rodeo". You'd be on the bow of a speeding boat weaving through coral reefs chasing speeding turtles (they swim fast) and then leap into the water and grab them, hopefully. You had to have gloves on as sometimes you only got handfuls of coral. Doing the Flatback Turtles, as in my article, was a far more docile activity.

Since the advent of frost-free fridges I can only get my 'fix' of snow from photos, thanks Kwanjin. Although, it looks a lot like soap suds. You didn't overload your washing machine with detergent?

Marsue, that's okay,and I know not to stick my tongue out at anyone while I've got my head in the freezer.

There was rain all over the place today, heavy even, but none at my place. Lot of cloud around and lots of sun. Hardly any wind though.

Minimum temperature 23.9C (75.0F), maximum 35.9C (96.6F)

Heat index up to 44.9C (112.8F)

Early tomorrow I'm off to work, gone for a fortnight. Got this photo of sunset at my place this evening to carry me through until I get back.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2010

Post #8224656

42 with a high of 60 Thunder lightning and rain at 4:20 am

Through 10am: A steady rain around 7am, then scattered thunderstorms developing. The thunderstorms should end around mid-morning. Cloudy with temperatures warming rapidly into the low to middle 50s.

Areas of dense morning fog. Cloudy with a few showers. SSE winds shifting to WSW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Sunrise: 7:02 am Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 27 min

Bernie, ice first. That's terrible! It will be nice to get the room re-done. I can still hear plaster chunks falling when Dad put paneling up in our bedroom.

Marsue, the weather liars never give up :o(

Rusty, I miss being able to just open a door for that fresh air!

Ric, ditto to Rusty :o)

Pepper, I love the colors in the Hibiscus bloom!

Celia, I love how you've gone all security :o) I love Aurora's nick-name! No wonder she beams! 8'' left! Darrell is indeed a love!

Tropic, smiling over the arm reaching. I used to ask my Aunt if I could churn butter and everyone left the room when she set it up for me :o) She had a jar with a handle that cranked the paddles. I thought it was neat!

Turtle rodeo, perfect name! It makes me smile to picture it. ROTFL over the soapsuds and stuck tongue!! What a lovely sunset, sigh...
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2010
4:50 AM

Post #8224704

Celia: love Aurora's nick-name! LOL Snow, snow, and more snow! too early in the season for me! Self-defense items are a good option in my book!
Tropic: laughing at "not sticking my tongue out when my head is in the freezer" remark. Reminds me of a story my late DH used to tell on himself: One time when he was little, on a frosty day, he actually stuck his tongue to a metal pole on the playground at his school! Eventually, he got un-stuck and he never did that again! LOL

Up in the mid-to high 70's today with 30% chance of rain later this afternoon and tonight. Cold front coming in on Thursday.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2010
4:57 AM

Post #8224718

Sally, we live in a pocket of civility surrounded by gangs, thieves and general thugs. As long as we're here, we need to keep aware. I guess that should go for anywhere one lives, though. :-)

Cold this morning, 32 and just past Dyson dark.

A better pic of one of the paths.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2010
5:08 AM

Post #8224741

Marsue, guilty here of just touching my tongue, but still pulling off a tiny bit of skin getting loose. NEVER NEVER again!

Celia, we live in a small town with little crime. I couldn't imagine living in a larger crime area, but I do worry people from other towns finding us.

You were Dyson Dark, and snowy!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2010
5:10 AM

Post #8224744

Lucky you!!! On top of living in a high crime area, we love to go shooting. It's just recently we've been able to afford it. LOL
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #8225505

My dad used to be a Mystery Shopper! He thought it was fun but ran out of places as he knew A LOT of people. Shoot, I should do it, I'm kinda new here and I don't know but a few people. hhhhmmmmmmm
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #8226152

Cold and windy today. Rain is west and south of us but didn't look like much on radar.

Got my truck fixed last week. My mechanic basically had to replace the whole wheel assembly from what I understand. It was all messed up in there. Plus fuel filter and change the oil. Needless to say the bill was high enough to knock everyone speechless. lol.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2010
3:17 AM

Post #8226506

Getting so colder here:

Today: Sunny, with a high near 57. Wind chill values as low as 27 early. East wind between 7 and 11 mph.

Tonight: A slight chance of showers, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after midnight. Increasing clouds, with a low around 47. East wind between 8 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Well, I was in bathroom and saw tiny creature running around and Rusty try to catch it and I saw that it was mouse in bathroom and couldn't find it where the mouse goes so it hide whole time in shower curtain! I knew it there and I shaking it and run so quickly and Rusty and JuJu trying to catch it and I laugh at dogs is fail to get the mouse!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2010
3:57 AM

Post #8226528

29 Feels Like: 18 High 35
Precip: 0.17 in (est.)
Through 10am: Mostly clear with temperatures reaching the upper 20s.
Today: Partly cloudy skies. High near 35F. Winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph.
Sunrise: 7:03 am
Moon Bright!

Sally Sun, (((HUGE HUG))) and I hope all is well!

Celia, I had to smile. Are you secret vigilantes, because sometimes I think people shoud just be vigilanted instead of getting their day in court.

Chrissy, I'd rather shop a stranger than a home town Mom and Pop. Try it!

Oh Pepper, that's a big shock. I'm so sorry! I would call the company and state flat out that you shouldn't have to pay full price because the seals were admittedly bad. DH did this when the transmission seal went bad on DD's car. It wasn't new, but we hadn't had it very long. Give it a try and hold firm till they give in at least a little.

Rusty, I'm hating the cold already! ROTFL over the mouse hunt! There's no better activity for an animal!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 23, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #8226894

Hi everyone! It's Dyson dark and raining buckets. Still not too cold, 50F.
Rain comes and goes, sometimes turns into a storm...grrr!
Celia, I understand why you don't want snow!LOL We can't afford guns, but the doggies are the best weapon we could have for thieves. I still have issues after the break-in we had 2 years ago.
Rusty, what fun ! I always have fun when I'm watching the dogs chasing mice on the field. Some are eating them, but Trica is playing with them...her goes up on his back feet and holds the mouse with his front paws while the mouse screams!LOL
SallyBP, your DH did well for your DD's car!
Pepper, good advice from Sally, I hope you can do that.
Tropic, I still haven't read your article, had to write 3 for DG. Now I'm in break, so I'll go and read yours.
Posting some mums I used in my article, from our friend Jules/Singingwolf, Trois daughter. She has a great farm with a pumpkin patch. Here's the link to her website, if you want to see :

http://www.wickerdfarm.com/

If you would like to google it (so it would come up first when googling), would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2010
8:45 AM

Post #8227002

Blizzard Warning in effect from 3pm this afternoon to 8am MST Wednesday... 8"-12" of snow accumulation expected. 37 now with 41 for the high. Temps are expected to plummet into the low teens and single digits accompanied by high winds. Wind chill possibly to reach -11.

It's windy now and gusts could reach to 70mph. I'm staying inside, Darrell has to work today but may not go tomorrow if the snow gets too bad. 4WD will only take you so far and I get anxious when he's out in bad weather.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2010
12:00 PM

Post #8227257

LOL Rusty! That's too cute!

The northern half of Arkansas was in a tornado watch from 8pm to 3am last night, don't know if any tornadoes ever happened, we were supposed to get the worst of it at midnight, it came through between 4 and 6am and it dumped buckets, absolutely poured!

I don't know if I want to put the time into it BP, I have a full time Mon - Fri job already and I'm not sure I want to do more. When Dave goes back to work maybe I will then, depending upon his shift.

I agree with Adina, that is good advice Pep, you might want to do that.

Pretty Adina!

Ug Celia! That's some nasty weather, hope Darrell makes it home ok. Do they have Inclement Weather Days they're given or does he have to take a sick or vacation day?

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #8227591

Oh dear, Oh dear not to be freezing raining tomorrow:

Tonight: A slight chance of showers, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after midnight. Increasing clouds, with a low around 46. East wind around 14 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Wednesday: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before noon, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 68. South wind between 13 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Wednesday Night: Rain showers likely before 3am, then a slight chance of rain or freezing rain between 3am and 4am, then a slight chance of freezing rain after 4am. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28. Wind chill values as low as 18. North wind between 13 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no ice accumulation expected.

As the weather new said it will be freeze rain after 12 am...
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #8227760

Rusty, Cats laugh at dogs trying to catch mice too!
It's just not in their job description...

Celia I hope the blizzard turns out not to be a big deal.
But man that is some storm brewing up!
Be safe! Stay warm!

After the rain squall moved thru last night it turned out to be not such a bad day.
Sunny and 55.
Cold weather is moving in though.
30's for Friday.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #8227764

I asked my dad about the hubs and he said it's too late now for these hubs. My mechanic has them and they are in his scrap pile.

Coolish today, around mis 40s and sunny. Strong breeze, gusty at times. Slim chance of rain tomorrow with highs around 60. On Thanksgiving our high will be 32 with lows in the teens.

Awwww!! Old man Whiskers fast asleep and in hog heaven on my lap. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 23, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #8227971

Hi! Thank you everyone for your warm welcome. It is sincerely appreciated!
Greetings to all! Hope everyone is doing well.

I had wished for a warm winter...well it was in the high 70's today. It is supposed to be in the high 30's Friday morning. We haven't put up our wind curtains yet on the patio, so I hope the tropicals will be OK. We may have to get them up soon.

I've been trying to get the house ready for Thanksgiving...we're pretty much on schedule. We're baking pies tomorrow: Pumpkin, and apple. We cheated and bought a pecan and sweet potato pie.

Love all of the pictures! So cute! Pepper, sorry to hear about your truck. I too love the knockout roses. Mine are still going strong. My yellow jasmine is really blooming! It's just about taken over the gazebo roof (formerly the hut).

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Jeanne

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2010
8:36 PM

Post #8228041

Rusty, you stay warm, too! Get those doggies near you and snuggle down.

Ric, I hope not, as well. It's stopped snowing for now but more is coming. I think we have about 5" out there with more on the way. The cold is what's going to be bad.

Tonight
Windy. Snow and a slight chance of thunderstorms in the evening...then snow after midnight. Blowing snow through the night. Much colder. Accumulation 4 to 8 inches. Lows 5 to 10 above. Northwest winds 25 to 35 mph decreasing to 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

It is 24 now.

Pepper, I get such a kick out of the kitties! He looks so comfy...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 24, 2010
6:02 PM

Post #8229387

Well the weather here turned into the pits!
Temps never left the mid 30's
Started sprinkling a bit around 11AM.
Just as I returned from a truck run.
Downpour by noon.
I got called out again at 2:30 for a pick up 30 miles north.
Holiday traffic, pouring rain and an unfamiliar location... not good.
It took me 30 minutes to get 10 miles...
Once I broke out of the traffic and wrecks it went well.
Picked up and headed cross country to get home.
Drove the route we usually take home from Joyce's place.
Traffic northbound was gridlocked for 60 miles.
Luckily I was going south! lol!
Got back to the shop about 5:15 this evening.
On a good day it would have been about an hour and a half.
But hey won't kick about the overtime!

Looks like a high near 65 tomorrow and rain.
Flood watch continues.

Breads are rising in the kitchen.
Probably go in about 11PM.
Ric

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #8229411

It rained, it was cold, then decent, then warm again. This afternoon fog started rolling in and around 5pm it was so thick it was like gray soup. We were gonna go to a friend's house tonight to measure for appliances but the fog is too thick.

My friend finally started remodeling her place last weekend and my parents and I decided that for Christmas we would replace her stove and fridge. We decided that we couldn't afford to do both so we are gonna try to do the fridge. She has no clue that we are actually replacing it, she just thinks we are keeping an eye out for deals. I have friends that I am gonna ask to chip in on the stove and we will put them in together one day when she's not home and suprise her. Her appliances are original to her place (over 20 years old) and are either broke or on their way.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 24, 2010
6:35 PM

Post #8229423

What a LOVELY gift Pep!
Kudos!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #8229441

I love what you're doing for your friend! So much better than the traditional gift exchange.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #8229446

She does alot for other people but always resist anyone doing anything for her. She finally let a crack form and some of our friends busted it wide open. LOL. Now she has no choice but to accept us helping her because we want too. It's actually freaking her out a bit but she'll be ok. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 24, 2010
11:30 PM

Post #8229664

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends! Wishing you a peaceful and blessed day with your friends and family!

Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2010
4:59 AM

Post #8229765

Happy Thanksgiving! All!

Thumbnail by music2keep

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 25, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #8229835

Happy Thanksgiving!
Yesterday, ice & snow high of 32.
Last night wind shift to NW, temp dropping.
This morning, sunny 10.
Turkey is cooking.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 25, 2010
6:37 AM

Post #8229839

Happy Gobble Turkey Day!

Well, I has bad T-storm and tornado warning last night...
Pour raining and lightning strike pretty hard and power went off for few second then back on... Phew!

Here's the weather right now and it freezing on my deck and JuJu act so wild like cat jumping alot on deck and sleding around like skate! lol...

Thanksgiving Day: A chance of freezing rain before noon, then a slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33. Wind chill values as low as 15. North wind between 9 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

This message was edited Nov 25, 2010 8:38 AM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 25, 2010
6:51 AM

Post #8229868

HAPPY THANKSGIVING Weather Turkeys!

Still raining! .65 inches yesterday.
Probably that much more overnight.
Hopefully it will be ending soon.
Forecast calls for rain thru midnight. Radar shows maybe a few more hours.
High in the upper/mid 60's.
Off to go "Over the rivers and through the woods" in about an hour and a half.

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 25, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #8230129

What a wonderful gesture, Pepper! Your friend will be overwhelmed. If she protests, just tell her she will rob you of being a blessing. Acceptimg a gift graciously is as important as being able to give a generous gift.

It's cold and raining here in Harrison, AR at my daughter's house. High today of 43F and low tonight of 23F--BRRRRRRR.

We are having our Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow afternoon when all the kids get here. Today there is a pot of chicken/vegetable soup simmering on the stove. It will warm the bones! :o)

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2010
9:52 AM

Post #8230197

Rusty, I'm laughing at the picture of JuJu sledding around!!! LOL

HAPPY TURKEY DAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #8230561

HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone!!!

It's currently in the high 20s and it feels like it!!! Temps didn't climb much today even with the sun out so to do anything outside at work today we had to bundle up pretty good. Looks like Old Man Winter is giving us a peek at winter!!

I'm currently sitting here trying not to fall asleep. Had to work today then had a big dinner so I'm tired. LOL. But I have to stay awake so I can go do Black Friday shopping. There's only a few things we need and only one we must get tonight. So gotta go. lol

Little Guy and his drippy nose. LOL. I had a hard time getting his pic. He's camera shy when awake. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 25, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #8230646

Well we're back safely!
Pretty much just drizzle going up.
Drive from Hades coming back!
Pouring rain again and Dyson Dark.
Couldn't see the lane markers... 55 MPH on the Hwy... except for the 85 MPH idiots.
Hit some seriously deep water in several places.
Pepper's Cold Front will pass thru overnight.
This 3+" of rain could well be a statewide skating rink by morning.
Temps down here should be at 28 or so... and we're furthest south...

Heading to the wet bar in route to the Hot Tub... ;-)

Ric

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 26, 2010
4:36 AM

Post #8230866

Oh my! I just don't want go Black Friday Day! Too cold for shopping! Stay home and stay warming but I have to go for another Gobble Turkey dinner today... I has little fun yesterday for dinner so more food to full up my stomach! lol...

Joplin Regional Airport
Last Update on Nov 26, 5:53 am CST

Fair

21 F
(-6 C)
Humidity: 78 %
Wind Speed: SW 5 MPH
Barometer: 30.18" (1023.1 mb)
Dewpoint: 15 F (-9 C)
Wind Chill: 15 F (-9 C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

As today weather:

Today: Sunny, with a high near 48. Wind chill values as low as 14 early. West wind between 6 and 14 mph.

redheadclan
Vail, AZ

November 26, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #8231015

I was born in Calgary, Canada and I keep moving south. I lived in Montana once, it was crazy cold. The high for the month of Jan. was -30.
Now I complain about Tucson. My weather station read a low of 37
dew point 0
wind at 17 gusting to 26
wind chill 31
We've had .01 in of rain in November and .38 in October
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 26, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #8231107

We have a repair crew headed for ND Monday.
I told one of the girls that if the temps are above 20 they will probably be opening the swimming pools. She was NOT amused!

29 (Wind Chill 18)
Bit of snow on the ground.

Off to Lowe's to look for some LED lights...

Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 26, 2010
9:09 AM

Post #8231223

Stay safe guys! It's getting cold here, 48F today, but sunny.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 26, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #8231504

7AM ; 5
3PM NW wind giving a cold feeling even though it's 32.
Looking for 34 on Sunday & Monday.
Could be the last above freezing for this year.
AH! WINTER IS HERE!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #8231971

Had fun last night/this morning despite the crazy people. Got what we went there for and more. LOL. I even went back at 10:30am and got a camera for my sister. I really thought they would have been sold out but they weren't. They even had the Nikon Coolpix that was on sale. I resisted it though. Barely. LOL.

It was freezing cold last night but it warmed up to low 50s today with strong gusty winds and sunshine.

Bright spot in the freezing weather, Eye of Kali blooming today.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 26, 2010
8:27 PM

Post #8232170

20.8 F
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 21 F
Humidity: 66%
Dew Point: 11 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.06 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 12000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4269 ft

70% chance of snow tomorrow.

Welcome, Redhead!!! Eeek! -30? Thanks, but I'll pass n that.

Pepper, how pretty.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 27, 2010
3:31 AM

Post #8232308

25 with a high of 40
Sunny. High around 40F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.
Dyson Dark

The oldest Grandchild was already awake at 4:00 am. "I was waiting for you to get up" he said. I had him try to go back to sleep while he listened to the noises I make feeding the cats and making coffee. Still awake, so I let him get up and watch TV :o)

Our Thanksgiving was yesterday. It was all good! I can't wait for leftovers!

We have a lot to do today with the Grandkids. It feels good to get back into the swing of things. Then Christmas comes :o)

The thoughts and prayers for all never stopped. I read yesterday to kind of keep up, but you know what I would say!

Fantastic news Sally Sun!!!

Welcome to Texas and Redhead!

Catch up when I can folks :o)

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2010
6:26 AM

Post #8232438

I has good time yesterday but kids driving me crazy so I get plate and fill up the foods then went home without kids screams...
My step-son cook in deep-fry turkey and sure it so good also foods, too!...

Next one, Christmas dinner coming up oh boy!...

Today: Sunny, with a high near 55. Wind chill values as low as 32 early. South wind between 5 and 7 mph.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 32. South wind between 6 and 10 mph.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 59. Wind chill values as low as 27 early. Breezy, with a south wind 11 to 14 mph increasing to between 21 and 24 mph. Winds could gust as high as 34 mph.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 48. South wind around 18 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #8232460

Rusty: at least you enjoyed the food if not the screaming children! LOL

Welcome, Redhead!

Just breezing through: here is the weather where I am today:

Today: Sunny. High 57F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight: Mainly clear. Low near 35F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 27, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #8232739

Rusty, your post made me laugh! I can imagine how loud it was since I was once an over excited kid myself. I'll bet the turkey was delicious! I'm glad you had a good time.

~ ~ to marsue! Have a great day!

It's only 34* and sunny. The Grandkids went out for a short while. This morning we decorated the house. I even, gulp, let them set up my snowglobes. No one dropped a thing and they did a great job!

Before they go home they'll help pick out a tree and I'll wait till they are here next week to help decorate. I've waited 6 years to let them help, and we are having a wonderful time :o)

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2010
10:35 AM

Post #8232801

Reason why I left that I am wearing hearing aid that kids scream alot and it hurt to my nerves that I get grumble or angry about noising... So, I get foods then zoom to home... I has left over turkey bones to cook for broth today... It's so good to make for soups or something to make for it...
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 27, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #8233178

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving holiday. We don't have it here, not that I even fully understand what it's about, but any holiday that brings people together has got to be good.

All this talk about the cold is strange. I thought your winter started later in December. I spent a few years in Europe years back and it didn't snow before Christmas, except up in the mountains.

Rusty, my father has hearing aids and when the noise of kids is bad he just turns them down. If it's hereditary, I can look forward to a peaceful and quiet old age, but I'll have to brush up on my lip-reading, LOL.

Getting extra hot and humid again with more rain around. I'm still at work and don't get home until later in the week. But there has been rain at the weather station not far from my place. Can only hope it reached my place, this time of year the rain is very patchy and you can stand on one side of the road out of the rain while on the other side it's pouring.

While I was out and about yesterday I took this photo of some of our Cathedral Termite mounds. Our Giant Termite is only underground and in trees (and in buildings) so no external signs of nests. These Cathedral Termites are tiny and only grass eaters.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 27, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #8233412

Warmer today, probably 50s and sunny. Not too bad.

The day before Thanksgiving we had alot of fog roll thru. This isn't even the worst of it.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2010
8:45 PM

Post #8233762

Man that's SOME Termite nest!
Glad they aren't wood eaters!

Pep that looks like here last Saturday.

It was cold but not uncomfortably so.
Probably upper 30's.
All the Poly is in and Door is up.
Just have some insulating/caulking and a few trim pieces to go.
The Main Trim will probably wait until Spring.

redheadclan
Vail, AZ

November 27, 2010
10:06 PM

Post #8233902

We had a high of 71 today, but we're supposed to get down to 28 on Monday night. Of course the weather man is never right. Last time we had a freeze warning it only got to 37.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2010
4:36 AM

Post #8234019

29 with a high of 50
Sun and clouds mixed. Winds SSE at 15 to 25 mph.

Rusty, I see how uncomfortable that is. It's too bad the parents didn't shush them or send them outside to burn off their energy. It sounds like you got the best part of the turkey!

Tropic, I'm glad we have an old old tradition of giving thanks.

Short version of Thanksgiving
1: fourth Thursday in November in the United States; second Monday in October in Canada; commemorates a feast held in 1621 by the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag [syn: Thanksgiving Day]
2: a short prayer of thanks before a meal [syn: grace, blessing]

Long version : http://www.caffeinedestiny.com/tigiving.html

In second grade, we made paper Indian vests, Pilgrim hats and put on a play for our mothers. I was an Indian :o)

My snow really won't start till sometime in December, but many times we had no snow for Christmas and it's not unusual for some of it to melt, leaving grass exposed. I'd rather have a good snow cover.

The termite mounds are amazing! What a beautiful grassy area. It's hard to imagine them even making the small mound.

Pepper, love the fog. If you don't have to go anywhere, it's so quiet and personal.

Ric, a job well done for the time you had!

Redheadclan, you have weather liars too? You'll fit right in :o)

The boys went home last night. But first, we stopped to look at the HyVee Christmas trees and chose a nice one. I told them I would wait till they were here next week to decorate it.

I haven't had time to take any pictures :o(

The thought of a camera never entered my mind at all!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 28, 2010
7:28 AM

Post #8234175

Weatherman said how wonderful today was going to be. High of 40. Of course he forgot to mention the big south wind. Nearly can't stand up outside. So I will let it be winter & sit in my recliner & watch a football game.
We are nearly done with the current house project. Tore the last of the latch & plaster off & insulated & new sheetrock. Really warmed up that part of the house! Still the third coat of mud to put on & then painting. 4 doors to install & 5 windows to trim out & we will be done with the main floor of our house.
Next summer we will add a bathroom upstairs & re insulate. We did the upstairs in 1983. It was a bare attic then. Some of the insulation must be gone, because snow melts off the roof in places.
Our basement is unfinished & will stay that way. Water comes through the walls in heavy rains. We only use it for starting plants in the late winter. Saves heating the greenhouses early.

Bernie
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 28, 2010
8:07 AM

Post #8234275

Excellent Bernie!
Long project but well worth it in the space you've added and in heating cost savings!
Enjoy the Game!

We've hit freezing and the fog is gone.
Should hit mid/upper 40's.
The winds yesterday left us a surprise.
A limb is down in the backyard. No damage.
Off to get out the chain saw...

Here's a set of shots from the GH.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157625359418111/

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 28, 2010
11:49 AM

Post #8234600

BP: I like the short version of Thanksgiving better. The long version about kicking heads of the Indians through the street doesn't exactly fit with the term "Thanksgiving"! :o~
Tropic: those are some huge termite mounds--it's a good thing they only eat grass--I would hate for them to attack my house! LOL

I'm back home again after 4 days at my DD's house. It was a lovely day for a drive and I made it back in record time in 2 1/2 hours---I didn't stop even once which is unusual for me. Friday was glad to get home, too. He had to go out in the back yard and sniff every blade of grass to make sure all is well on the home front. LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2010
2:05 PM

Post #8234795

Bernie, we never got the wind predicted here. It could have gusted over 30 mph. Wow, that is some heavy duty work on the house! Isn't a roof a good indicator?

Ric, great shots of the GH!!

Marsue, since I played the part in Second grade, I only read the first paragraph. Sheesh, Bad article? Being home is such a good feeling. Smiles for Friday.

It 's just 4:00 and getting dark already. I went ahead and put up my red ribbons. Christmas decorating outside is done!

50* and the wind is picking up a bit.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 28, 2010
2:12 PM

Post #8234807

Vikings won!!
Way better game than we've had all year.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 28, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #8235087

So did the Browns... though win ugly in our case...lol!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #8235109

Coolish, sunny and windy today.

Had my nephew today and took him to a friend's house for a little while. She's the one I'm hoping to replace appliances for though the way things are going it may not happen. Anyways, she was putting up drywall compound and he was interested in doing it himself too. She wouldn't let him do that but she did let him paint a spot she had done already. So he got to prime a spot for her and did a great job. He loved doing it too!! LOL. So next time I get a chance I will probably take him there again so he can do some more work. lol

Here's what the fog looked liked when it started rolling in across the street.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 28, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #8235119

Snowy, snowy night...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

redheadclan
Vail, AZ

November 28, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #8235293

We got wind here. Gusts up to 27 mph. Calm now, going to get cold. Prediction for 33 tonight, 27 tomorrow night. For anyone interested, my weather station is at http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?&call=dw0446&last=120; or http://www.wunder.com KAZVAIL13

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2010
4:05 AM

Post #8235460

38 with a high of 48
A few showers this morning then thundershowers developing during the afternoon hours. Winds SE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 70%.
Last quarter moon, but not Dyson Dark.

Pepper, it's an exellent way to teach them early, that they can do things. I can seee the joy on his big boy face! Love the rolling fog. It can creep in pretty fast.

Celia, how beautiful! Silent night, holy night, all is calm all is bright.

Red, I can't believe we are warmer than you at the moment :o) I use the Wunderground among others. Seems none are perfect, but one is the most accurate for rain happening, as it's starting to hit your roof. It's the Quad Cities NEXRAD Radar Map.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 29, 2010
4:39 AM

Post #8235508

Henryr10, an amazing thing about the termites mounds, if people were to build a proportionately sized building it would have to cover 6 city blocks and tower over a mile into the sky. And termites are blind. The photos of that house with GH look great.

Sally, those termites tend like soggy ground, usually flat with not much tree growth. But the grass usually dominates, and that's what those termites like.

Marsue, Darwin City Council brought a lot of those termite mounds into the main street of town and set them up, full of termites. Looked great but a lot of the nearby property owners freaked. Unfortunately the termites didn't survive long term. They made a great landscape feature while they lasted.

It was quite a cool day for this time of year. Minimum this morning was 24C (75.2F) but the maximum only got to 31.2C (88.2F). Rain moved in middle of the day. Nothing heavy, but enough to keep the temperatures down.

Took this photo day before yesterday. Below normal rainfall this month is slowing down the waterfalls.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #8235644

CELIA, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope it's a wonderful day! (((BIG HUG)))

Tropic, that sounds like a perfect day to me.

Love the waterfall! I think any amount of water going over is beautiful.

Here, we have natural springs that are barly perceptable except for the small current they create. I love them! SIL had a pond dug and it slowly filled itself. I don't think I have any pictures :o(
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #8235677

Checking in briefly, as I am very low on energy after the two weeks of active chemo treatments in the clinical trial. Staying with my son seems to be an ideal arrangement for both of us and he was able to bring me home Thanksgiving Day. I have a week off before next cycle begins. It has been a year since I found DG (or rather they found us, as they listed our Christmas tree farm and I had to tell them that we were not selling trees that year). I appreciate all the new friends I have made here-even though we have never met in person.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 29, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #8235704

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY CELIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Everyone!!!! We went to Oklahoma City to visit my mom on Wednesday, left early to beat the nasty storm that was going to produce tornadoes from AR/OK state line half way to OKC, not a large area but large enough for me! We beat it and not only did we not get any weather while driving, we didn't get any weather at her house either!

I'm gonna get caught up here...
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 29, 2010
7:11 AM

Post #8235725

Well I'll have to get caught up later, I think the muscle relaxer I took at 10pm is still working. LOL
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #8236059

46 and partly sunny here in the northwestern corner of Pennsylvania today.

Ric...Your greenhouse project looks very well done--as usual! The Steelers won worse then ugly!

Just want to say hi to everyone. I'm still lurking here--just not posting much...

I have 500 tulip and daffodil bulbs to plant and this weather is perfect. I use a bulb auger and just drill holes.

Photo: I've been photographing a lot of old abandoned buildings and cars lately.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 29, 2010
10:51 AM

Post #8236077

That's about what I learned to drive in. Ours was a 1949 Chevy ton.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2010

Post #8236645

Started out nice and warm with temps topping out at 61 around noon today. Temps have been steadily dropping since and we are near freezing now, around 34 or so. Strong winds all day too.

In Overland Park, KS the Milburn Country club caught fire around 4pm or so and has pretty much burned to the ground. They are in defensive mode, trying to keep it from spreading. It's contained but not under control.

Here's a link to the story: http://www.kmbc.com/news/25952033/detail.html

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 29, 2010
11:58 PM

Post #8237032

Happy Birthday, Celia!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2010
3:13 AM

Post #8237087

Happy Birthday, Celia!!!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2010
3:47 AM

Post #8237100

30 with a high of 32
Cloudy and windy with on and off snow showers mainly during the morning.
Winds W at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 30%.
Wildly Windy and Dyson Dark!

Sunfarm, I hope a bit of energy is back today. I can imagine how beat your body feels. I'm sure your Son feels good about being able to help you in any way. Is there any hint the treatment is working?

Aren't life's turns amazing? I joined when I found another Nichols person was here, but sadly she never joined, and I think I found that she passed. There aren't too many Alison's in Nichols. I felt sad for her. She was young.

Hi Chrissy! That was lucky! We had a tornado watch Monday. I couldn't believe it! LOL over being relaxed.

Hi Early! That is a lot of bulbs! I barely found room for less tha 75. I photograph old barns before they are all gone. Wow, the car looks alive! Shocked, but alive :o)

Pepper, fires are the worst. I'm glad no one was hurt. Our old rodeo building in the next town south of us, "The Thirsty Camel," lost it's kitchen last year, or was it this spring? The bikers use it now so it's a whole different kind of rodeo :o) It's not Sturgis, but you should hear the bikes coming and going over the three days they celebrate Memoriol day.

Ric, I meant to give Robyn a hug before Thanksgiving, and wasn't here. I'm sure Thanksgiving wasn't without many thoughts of her sister. I was thinking of her too.

As I was dusting, I realized how many times I was rubbing these. Enough to give everyone a wish for the day.

Aladdin's Lamp

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2010
3:49 AM

Post #8237101

I Dream of Jeanne :o)

This, incidently, came from a Country Club my childhood neighbor worked at. It's pretty old.

Thumbnail by billyporter

redheadclan
Vail, AZ

November 30, 2010
3:55 AM

Post #8237103

Low of 27, currently 31. High today around 60.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 30, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #8237272

Lovely winter morning here.
2" snow overnight.
Nice 25MPH NW wind blowing snow around.
21 after a high of 42 yesterday.
Cloudy.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #8237287

Thanks for the happy birthday wishes! :-)

Darrell brought me red roses and a lovely card. We went to Outback Steakhouse for dinner. Mmm...

15 and not cloudy. 29 for the high.

Waving hello to everyone!!!

This message was edited Nov 30, 2010 7:22 AM

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 30, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #8237290

Happy Birthday!
We don't have any Outback's here. We dined at one in Columbia, MO on our trip this fall. Extremely good food.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #8237293

Thanks, Bernie! I agree about the food. Yum!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #8238241

Happy Birthday Celia!!

It's bitterly cold today. Our high was in the low 30s with gusty winds and as soon as the sun went down the temps dropped pretty quickly and are still dropping.

We are also extremely dry. Any moisture we've had has been mimimal and hasn't helped the fire danger here. With the strong winds and dry conditions it doesn't take much for a fire to start around here. We need a good snowfall.

Blushing Knockout Rose still blooming away despite extremely cold temps. Crazy rose. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2010

Post #8238598

20 and Dyson Dark
Wind: From W at 16mph gusting to 21mph
Some morning flurries with mostly sunny skies expected later in the day. High near 30F. Winds WNW at 15 to 25 mph.

Reheadclan, you are as cold as me at night, but warmer during the day. 60* sounds pretty good :o)

Bernie, we had the wind, but just flurries.

Celia, what a wonderful birthday! It's been awhile since I've had steak. I won't buy it because it's better at a restaurant.

Pepper, I hope no one has any more fires. How beautiful!!!

It's Wednesday already. I kind of frittered yesterday away and didn't accomplish much.
The garden catalogs are coming in the mail so I went thru my seed list and found I ordered most of it last year. Since the driveway wasn't poured, I have to wait again to see what I can plant.

I need to can tomato juice for sure, and beets. Next, I'll have to go thru and count what we've eaten and compare it to what I canned, to kind of get an idea on how much I should can in a year.

See, I can ramble on without any help :o)

Old old sleigh bells. Each one is different so they have a beautiful sound when gently shaken.

Thumbnail by billyporter

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 1, 2010
4:22 AM

Post #8238609

We have an ice storm here. Everything is covered with ice, even the car! Lucky I have a day off, it's our National Day.
Tomorrow is the big day, my DD and Nicholas will arrive at 11 a.m.!!!! I'm cooking and fix everything to be ready for them.

Adina

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 1, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #8238671

New thread for December.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1143390/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America