Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Brugmansias: After the Fall..

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 79, Views: 1,125
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #8188180

Well... after being tore up by the hail... leaves shredded... and now the temps are into the high 30's n the evening... I guess I'd best think of doing something with them for the winter...not that there aren't piles of things that need attending to...3 or 4 outside work jobs .. n progress or promised for the last few weeks.. buld a building before the frost.. likely soon... as mother in North AL has already had a few light ones...
I started... laying a protective layer of vinyl on the cherry floors ..yet again this year.. and brought my first few inside... and strated looking closer at them again... this was one of the first to be brought down.. a lovely orangish flower... that has such a lovely fragrance.. I've been missing it for awhile now.. it seemd to spew forth the aroma as soon as it warmed up from the 38* F outside... into 72* inside

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Click the image for an enlarged view.

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #8188215

OK... the bloom's a bit shredded ... but there's only about 4 intact leaves on the plant.. and only one of a normal small size.. and the outer skirt of the flower is about 1/2 there.. but there's others.. and I was looking inside the flower in the light of morning..
outside skirt... and an inner one.. now outside... 2... and one inside that one...3... and inside
that thrdd one... another ... 4.. stuffed together... MMMM a quad... maybe genetically altered by beng battered by the hail... we'll see... there's a big bud right next to it there.. so when it opens I 'll be able to look at an unbattered flower...
and the tag... there it is... the first 1 1/2 " of a slip through plastic tag... mostly just the slit.. and not a mark on that part... maybe the part with it's name it's still up there .. or just picked up with the other hail damage... oh.. well ...we're taking some great seedlng crosses .. here... and rapidly turning them into the most lovely NOIDs avalable..
.Now that's science... Minus . 01

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #8188228

OK... the bloom's a bit shredded ... but there's only about 4 intact leaves on the plant.. and only one of a normal small size.. and the outer skirt of the flower is about 1/2 there.. but there's others.. and I was looking inside the flower in the light of morning..
outside skirt... and an inner one.. now outside... 2... and one inside that one...3... and inside
that third one... another ... 4.. stuffed together... MMMM a quad... maybe genetically altered by beng battered by the hail... we'll see... there's a big bud right next to it there.. so when it opens I 'll be able to look at an unbattered flower...
and the tag... there it is... the first 1 1/2 " of a slip through plastic tag... mostly just the slit.. and not a mark on that part... maybe the part with it's name it's still up there .. or just picked up with the other hail damage... oh.. well ...we're taking some great seedlng crosses .. here... and rapidly turning them into the most lovely NOIDs avalable..
.Now that's science... Minus .101

This message was edited Nov 1, 2010 1:29 PM

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #8188420

Gordon,
She looks like a winner whether you find her tag or not. The color is so deep and intense! I love the frilly edges on her skirts and those long curly tendrils. She looks like she has a great form, if you look past the shredded parts. Most of the oranges I have seen are pale in comparison. I hope her future flushes are as great looking! She should get a place of honor for being such a trooper in blooming given what she went through. Congratulations on such a gorgeous bloom.

Do you have a record of your seedlings you can fall back on to try to recover her ID?
plantlover49
Hamilton, OH

November 1, 2010
11:13 AM

Post #8188556

Gordon, WOW, what a Beautiful color, I am glad you have Blooms, after what you had too deal with, it's a keeper for sure

Elizabeth
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

November 1, 2010
4:33 PM

Post #8189089

Yes lovely orange any orange is a keeper for sure. 30's knocking on your door I hate the thoughts of that. Its supposed to get to 40's this weekend can't wait tired of sweating Time to get my self in gear and start preparing for winter crummy time of the year
trickiwoo
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #8203557

That is a WOW color. Love it.

Hugs,
Judy
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #8210664

this is the second bloom of the plant pictured above... it's looking about the same/// WONDERFUL ..dark still and many flowered... bloom... and fragrance galore... t was a small but on being brought in.. and developed and flowered inside...
i t has an unusual.. to me... flower type... there's the outer flower... inside that one another ... and inside that one it's stuffed with flower ... it's lie a stuffed double I guess...
on the frst flower pictured above.. I tore t apart after it dropped off... there was the outer flower... and a flower inside that one... which went around formng the inner flower.. but didn't terminate/attach when it met the first part of the ... but kept wrapping around to form the stuffed part... ... the wrapping went around and around ... it would have been 3 or 4 flowers if it had stopped and started a new flower at the time it completed 360* ... but just kept wrapping inside.. around and around...
has this structure come up for others ...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #8210670

here's another picture.. of this new flower... and the three leaves driving the new growth

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

November 14, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #8210692

Ray of hope better days coming love that dark orange was looking at Miss Oct. this morning yours is even darker than that!
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2010
6:37 AM

Post #8210729

Well... I did it... despite my not wanting to build up the cool room again... did it again... the 2 " foam this year was purple.. and it's in the process of being painted white inside and out... just to ease the visual aspect of it..
n past years I've dug the plants... from the large planters... stuffed them into pots ... that were overwintered... this year I'm going to be work on a new technique... I'm going to put a foam partition about 12 - 16" tall.. across 3/4 of the the cool room... from side to side... forming a 6' x 8 ' planter... the root balls will go inside... bumper to bumper.. filling up the large space..packing more in to a smaller space.. leaving the remaining open for a few big pots and a space to sit in.. and to manage the care of the plants...
Congratulations to Dave's team... we've now got a spell checker on the forum posts...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #8210732

here's another outside flower here

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2010
6:42 AM

Post #8210742

there's 4 or 5 blooms on my in ground park brugs... they didn't get hit as bad by the hail ... being under some trees.. not bad for the middle of November

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #8210745

on the roof they lost ALL the leaves... but are now.. leafing out again... thinking winter will never arrive... my 10 ft tall babies... an Axel Rose cross and another ... are trying to regain.. with wonderful new leaves

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #8210755

Wonderful to see Gordon!
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2010
6:55 AM

Post #8210760

Yes Dana... Miss October on the BGI calendar .. yes.. I'm twice as pigmented as that one..easily... I wish they had at some place on the calendar made an identity of the flower.. and perhaps the grower... maybe for 2011... I've also got a lot more flower stuffed into the double + bloom here...
this picture is a bit washed out from the full sun... and sitll darker

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

November 14, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #8210801

I have never seen a calender did not know they had one? Ebay miss Oct is offered Anne Kitchen abel proably spelled wrong lol but yours does have a different look almost like Thea's Libling as far as shape
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #8210915

Dana...OH...Yes..I've heard of Anne's Miss October... but the calender popped into my head first... and have the BGI calender hanging in front of me.. October has an orangeish double... so it seemed to fit...
BGI has a lovely one... go to their site next month and 'm sure they wll have on for 2011 for you... a new brug every month... and they are all so beautiful..
OH... they have the new one now... http://www.cafepress.com/brugmansia.17810209
Thanks ...Kim...
burgele
Dunedin, FL

November 14, 2010
9:31 AM

Post #8211020

There seems to be some confusion about Miss October being on a Calendar from BGI, she is a Alice Harris Hybrid and is being released for the first time on the present Ebay Auction, Alice Harris, Monika Gottschalk and yours truly are the only persons to date that have Miss October, the only pictures available are from Alice, Monika and myself, Alice had published the first piucture on her Website in 2007, i had posted mine in DG november 2009, but we have not released or authorized pictures of Miss October to be on the BGI Calendar.

Further more Miss October is not a Anne Kirchner-Abel

http://cgi.ebay.com/GORGEOUS-Brugmansia-MISS-OCTOBER-Harris-1st-Release-/370456378521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5640ebbc99
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

November 14, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #8211100

Sorry I read and read swore thats what it said on ebay I'm wrong then sorry for the mistake awesome looking brug! Can't belive these plants come back from blizzards can't beat it

This message was edited Nov 14, 2010 1:07 PM
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #8211599

OH...sorry for the confusion... I never said it was on the calendar... just the miss october had me thinkng the calendar..October... and it had an orange brug as october... then I understood she was taling about another plant... one called Miss October... I'd heard of it... but didn't recalll the breeder..
it's Alices introduction.. thanks for the link for it... looks like another knock out one from her... a nicely confirmed standard double.. with some deep golden color
mine is more of a red than a yellow gold and more like a stuffed double rather than a standard double or triple...
it's so nice to see the new colors and forms we're getting
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #8214593

Well... for me this is an exciting new thing to understand... this dark multiple... before thought t appeared to be wrapped around nside... but it's not... after the fadeing took this new flower apart... there's 4 flowers in one...
1) there is an outer flower... thin but complete .. from the top to the skirt.. startng on the left in ths photo... it was thcer n growing but was the frst to loose it's moisture... beng outside
2) second there's a complete thicker second flower also quite complete...
3) then there's the third complete flower.. qute thck... not having lost any moisture yet...
4) then there's the inside flower.. also a complete flower onto it's own... from the top to the tendrails .. stuffed and knotted into the opening of the flower... no way anythng could fight it's way inside for either giving or taking of pollen... and I'm wonderng how I might try and have it be a pod parent next year..

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2010
7:51 AM

Post #8214655

Well... lets try ths post again... as it didn't go through...

OK.. this is a closer look at the fourth... and most inside flower... complete from the top ...to the tendrals... and full of pollen...
saved the pollen this time.. and we'll introduce it to some others... when good growth time returns in the spring

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 16, 2010
2:41 PM

Post #8215343

Gordon,
Did you ever find her tag? With whom do you plan to cross her? Maybe once the plant matures, the inner shirts will drop a little. She'll be pretty unique being as dark orange as she is.

How did the leaves of your Axel Rose crosses turn out?

Oh, the Goldenes Kornett X Magrethe cross finally had a bloom that made it to the opening stage. The bloom is a single pale yellow. I'm hoping for a darker yellow in the spring/summer. What I like about the cross is the large thick branches with the huge healthy green leaves she produces. I was a little disappointed with the paleness of the color, but she has good parents so when your seedling blooms again, will you collect some pollen for me?
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #8220385

That is an AWESOME flower Gordon!!!! If you take cutttings or seeds from her, please remember my name. I need an orange and that is beyond words! Congrats!!!!
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

November 19, 2010
10:33 AM

Post #8220408

Gordon wishing you and your family Happy Thanksgiving!

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 19, 2010
10:28 PM

Post #8221278

Very beautiful and very exciting Gordon, this will be an interesting one to follow.
I hope you find that tag...
gardenpaw
Brownstown, IN

November 20, 2010
8:59 PM

Post #8222674

Very beautiful Gordon!
Great job!

karen
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2010
11:03 PM

Post #8224564

well... I've got a bunch n the cool room.. ... they are packed in together .. in a 6' x 8' planter..
the roots will grow together some... but they will enjoy not having their roots cut down to fit in a smaller round pot. and it should make watering easier... just water on the higher side

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2010
11:10 PM

Post #8224566

here's ground level inside... a low partition keeps one end drier for me to be inside..

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #8226138

Wow, Gordon, I sure hope you don't have any problems with spidermites this winter. They will be a bear to eradicate. You will have to give us progress reports.
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2010
9:49 AM

Post #8234430

That's very pretty Gordon. I love the colour.
I hope you can keep it going and it does well for you :) It should do better and better for the the more mature it gets.
Please post pics as it blooms again so we can see. It will be good to have another good quad.
The only true consistent quad I know right now is Monika's 'Magnifiqué' which I raised from her seed.
http://beautifulbrugmansias.blogspot.com/2010/11/brugmansia-magnifique.html

Yes, 'Miss October' is mine, finally just released this month.
http://beautifulbrugmansias.blogspot.com/2009/04/brugmansia-miss-october.html
As it was just released, I don't know how Anne or BGI got it?

Wishing you the best and Happy Holidays!
Alice

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 28, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #8234642

Congrats on " Miss October," Alice...a very lovely flower.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2010
1:54 PM

Post #8234785

Well...Alice... thanks... yes... I'm the same way... better and better as time continues..as welll as older and wiser...
Again... I didn't see your plant... Miss Octorber on the BGI calendar... just when she sad Mss October... I through my youth and " PlayBoy " saw the beautiful brug ...there in October... as a Miss October...as it happened to be of a similar color... BGI nor I made any claim as such... but that's the beauty circuit... how come we have 50-60 to choose from for Miss Amerca and only a handful to choose between for the President..
I've a piile of your Canna Stutguartt drying now... it's such a big showy grower... also
keep up your great work on every front...YOUR Miss October is quite the beauty also..far nicer than the plant gracing the BGI 's October page.. I'm sure they would lie to have yours there for 2012... as 2011 is already assigned... with yours not being unveiled by choosing time
Happy Holidays to you and yours also..
MMMcan't edit this to rase the picture... oh well
Thanks Karen...
Yes.. Veronica... so far the cool room is working out... still no door on it... but with a sheet of plastc [ with a 5" hole in it ] over the opening.. we saw 31*F and the sngle worklight.. kept it between 57* and 64* throughout a days cycle.. too hot I know.. butlast years heater was put away working.. and got sick and died.. so I have a light going to provide warmth which brings wth 67% humidity as the soil evaporates.. in an otherwise airtight enclosure.. woops it's 69* but steady in there now.. I do have pollen from her now... f you can do some breeding now.. or in the spring... it's here for you... your queston on the Axel Rose cross.. of how my leaves turned out... is a bit of a mystery.. you mean after the hail.. they were returning.. or do you mean them beng crinkled.. the hail took care of all that were..
Thans Dana... my this be the starting holiday of much joy there... and continue in such the most wonderful fashon through to the New Years cellebratons...
Patti... I'll keep you in mind for both..
a yellow and a white blooming in the park still.. a day before the low 30's temps..I didn't get outside today.. trying to get saucers under everything I brought downstairs... and then I finally got to water them.. well... and searching for a new auto... having blown my second engine in the Jetta.. they don't nterface well with the transmssion I had done nbetween... but the second engine did do about 40,000 miles... like the first one did... but t surely is enough to put me way behing with all the work.. and the search...
Seachanger... thanks.. yes we're trying to watch it and keep it going.. how about enterng your name into the first thread here of screen names/real names.. it helps me to imagine the folks here...
OH...I can't edit ths to raise the picture... sorry..

This message was edited Nov 28, 2010 4:55 PM

This message was edited Nov 28, 2010 4:57 PM

This message was edited Nov 29, 2010 12:10 AM

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 28, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #8235041

Gordon, I'd like to do some spring pollination. So I'll remind you late winter. I've been trying to figure out a way to cool the greenhouse during warm days. I had to seal the ends of the structure as the sides are independent of each other. Tried mending tape specifically designed for splicing large sections of the greenhouse poly. It was gone within 3 - 5 days. So had to resort to sewing a poly strip to the corners. Now if I can only get DH to quit trying to roll up the sides. I know he means well, but it will end up tearing things up. I was thinking our using a couple of outdoor ceiling fans and a box fan near the entrance to exhaust the hot air. On a warm sunny day, even after a freezing night, the temperatures in there can get up in the 90s.

I've been very lucky in that I was able to find some great help transplanting plants into new pots and getting them into the greenhouse. We are not through with transplanting, but at least all my plants are inside because we had our first freeze Saturday...got down to 27º - 25º. I don't have my sensors out yet. I had to get a new weather station. The old one was making a horrible high pictched sound that was driving me crazy. It's all set up, but I need to have it put up. I wrenched my back while in the hospital about 1-1/2 weeks ago and still can't do much. I'm still trying to walk upright without pain...all because I dehydrated. I'll post photos later.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2010
5:13 AM

Post #8238654

Well... they are enjoyng the heat from light insde the cool room.. see picture of flowering inside... and the ones inside the house are enjoying havng their saucers underneath.. finally.. so now they can be watered..
that's quite the storm that has ust beat it's way across the country.. lucky only rain here.. but cool.. and real high winds... it's gettng a trail by fire .. early in the season... but brng it on.. I hung the door to it yesterday.. and left the single light on... for some heat... it's 58* F early ths mornning.. after a nght of ran and wind... I can tell it's really air tight... as the humidity inside is 86%..

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

December 1, 2010
5:41 AM

Post #8238700

Nice job on your cool room! That fronts headed here we will have a high of 73 thank god tired of the heat. And the lows will be low 40's and high 30's hope the wind doesn't do my plants in have alot with buds hope they make it to flower. Dug up a plumeria and have them all stored for winter brugs are still in the ground. Cutting bought from Eddie this last time have Y"d and have buds! Can't wait!
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2010
9:27 AM

Post #8239112

Dana... so... how do you store the plumeria... I still have 4 or 5 outside.. hoping to find homes for them... the biggest ones are in the cool room.. and a couple I'm most interested in.. the black/red and the ones I grew out from gigantic seeds I collected in Panama [ just a white with a yellow center ] .. are inside.. next to the radiator.. infront of the wndow.. but I've seen some folks that dig them up.. and hang them upsde down.. with no dirt in a dark room..
well lots of wind here.. and ran... but when I went out to return the rental car.. much warmer than I'd have thought.. but gusting to 49 MPH near by here.. and the roof addition is holding on .. hardly a quiver..
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

December 1, 2010
10:03 AM

Post #8239168

I feel for you with that wind the ones in pots are buried in the ground . The ones in the ground I dig up knock off the dirt and stack them on pallets. In pot pop out of ground and off they go there will be roots hanging out of pot not to worry. For you I would dig them up and store them in a place were it won't freeze. And really there good to go after last frost bury them back with fertilizer in the hole give them a little water and there off again. Maybe 2 weeks out of the year I have to provide heat there out side in a green house I do every winter. I was coming Thanksgiving but change of plans I come from Clinton Conn. I guess it will be Christmas before i get there. Was going to drop off banana plants in georgia but will be too cold by then. So today its frost cloth on the hibicus and brugs fig trees anything that needs it. They have some thats good for 20 degrees now mines just good for frost but you can use it year after year.
plantlover49
Hamilton, OH

December 1, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #8239701

Gordon
your cool room is so neat, I love the Bloom on your Brug, we had Snow here all day, but it didn't stick too the ground, all this week end it suppose too snow, the high
might be 33 degrees, I am so glad that all my Brugs are in the basement all warm & cozy, I would love too live close enough too take the Plumeria's that you want
too get rid of, any chance of getting them for postage? after I had one in the ground that Bloomed all Summer I love them

Elizabeth
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2010
3:50 AM

Post #8240414

more blooms here...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2010
7:31 AM

Post #8240616

Belated Happy Birthday Gordon! I hope the inside of the cake was as delicious as the outside looked and that you hada fantastic day!!!!
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

December 2, 2010
1:41 PM

Post #8241065

Mirror image, Happy Birthday! hope it was a good one for you! Cute cake!
gardenpaw
Brownstown, IN

December 2, 2010
7:38 PM

Post #8241545

Happy Birthday Gordon!
Pretty cake! it looks yummy!

Karen

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2010
9:06 PM

Post #8241630

Gordon just saw this post and that is a really beautiful flower you got there. Congrats and I am glad you are getting your plants in.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2010
4:17 AM

Post #8241802

HA HA HA ...STOP... it's not my birthday again.. I got all my wishes for that back on October 2 nd... with a bgger cake.. this was just a small 6" one.. from my local market.. just the right size for a personal excessive dessert.. mmmmm do I love buttercream..
I wwatered the plants in the cool room last night .. for the first time,,,as I was up there to turn on the light again.. it was down to 40* inside .. with our low to go to freezing for the first time..I don't think it got that low... so ths morning I'm up to 62*F inside..with 92% humidity.. what a roller coaster ride for them...
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

December 3, 2010
4:29 AM

Post #8241813

With the low temps high humidity you not afraid of too much moisture no heat brugs like it dry. I worry about too wet. I lost some that way last year. Frost here this morning covered them up with sheets I want to see those flowers :) We start up on a warmer note the rest of the week. Weather like this is what sweetens the citrus though
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #8244374

Really Dana? Cool weather makes the citrus sweeter? Wonder how's that?
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2010
9:59 AM

Post #8245265

OH>>Dana...I've plenty of heat for now.. with the light... a night of real close to freezing.. .. it's been sunny all morning and it has made it to 35*... with the light havng been left on.. it's now 65 inside.. plenty warm enough to carry the humdity.. and since the lght has been on the chance for mold / fungal problems is greatly reduced.. but I can keep it cooler with the heater.. as on no freeze.. it doesn't come on till it gets to be maybe 40 or below..
it was close to 32.. but not there yet this year ..the brugs were blooming in the park this morning
Yes Patti.. the Macintosh apples are the same way.. if you eat them before the first cool times.. they will tast green.. after they have had a chill.. they will taste sweet... the cool developes the sugars in them..
still flowering... you can see the big leaves still sporting the hail damage..

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

December 5, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #8245586

Colds coming way too fast here we usally are good till after the holidays. But by Wensday there talking 20's here this stinks. Spent the day digging brugs getting them in the green house. We made incubators before were you can do the same put a few 100 watt bulbs in there and to termostat were it turns off when it gets to a certain temp. and when it drops down they turn back on very inexpensive to operate. I fill 5 gallon buckets of water and during the day they warm up and at night they help every little bit helps but when it gets really cold I run propane heat.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #8246672

Those Park Brugs look good, Gordon, are you digging them up too? Surely they will freeze if not, right?
Dana, I can't believe it gets so cold there in Florida, but I guess it depends on how far north everyone is.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

December 6, 2010
8:12 AM

Post #8246758

I am between Tampa and Orlando ,central fla not supposed to get this cold here yet

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2010
8:30 AM

Post #8246787

Oh dear. That is crazy.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #8247843

yes.. we've just had our first frost today, and mother in north Alabama has had lots of them.., but the brugs are stll looking ok.. that's sure to change if it doesn't warm up... still bloomng in the park.. and three of them are bloomng in the cool room now.. with the light on for heat.. 24/7 they are growing more than I'd like for them..
Right Debra.. f they are left out there ... they will freeeze and die.. that is what will become of them... unfortunately... there's lot up on the roof to meet the same fate.. I've many dozens inside with me.. and dozens more in the cool room.. there's only so much room here.. and no one to give them to.. f I had the time I could send them out.. but it's not so this year..
after sending out hundreds a year for years.. I've retired.. wth no car.. it having blown t's engne at 40,000 mles.. and again a few weeks ago at 90,000 I'm out searching for a particular car... found one finally.. in gulfport Miss.. an d might fly out to it.. it all takes so much time.. and I'm so far behind working.. with out a car.. I can't.. begin to get the packages there ..
with just three blooms going in an almost air tight contaner.. it's like warm heaven n there..

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

trickiwoo
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2010
10:19 PM

Post #8247969

Good luck with you car hunt, Gordon. Your cool house sounds so neat & its fantastic that your heating it with a single light bulb. We should all be that smart!!! Enjoy reading about & seeing your fantastic blooms. (Except for the part about the hail.)

Hugs,
Judy

bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2010
10:27 PM

Post #8247976

Gordon, Is that from a Star Dancer X ? cross? It's gorgeous! I sure hope you have that one in a safe place away from cat burglars namely of the Texas variety. LOL

It's difficult to believe I've been colder than you. Tonight is the 4th freezing night we have had since late November. It got down to 27ºF the first time. The rest have been just below freezing. I finally had to have a large propane tank installed. Running down to Maas Butane to fill the propane tanks every few days was going to be a problem this winter. Barring a power outage that would keep the starter from lighting the heater, my Brugs should be OK although I am still worried that the heater may have a hard time keeping the temperatures up since I increased the space by 50% this winter. I ran out of room last year. I'm having a difficult time getting the temperature and humidity sensor to transmit the information to the base unit. The distance is maybe 35', but maybe the hardiplank on the house is causing that.

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

December 7, 2010
4:41 AM

Post #8248116

32 Degrees here in plant city fla growers are going crazy there goes the price of the berrys last year they ran everybodys wells dry saving the crops law suits up the ying yang. Every one left with dry wells lol They can't figure buy frost cloth use it for a tax write off. Tonight is supposed to get colder than we start on a warming trend. I finished digging mine all but a few big ones hate to let them freeze but ran out of time
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2010
9:13 AM

Post #8248502

I see one problem with using frost cloth. It doesn't do any good in the rain because the rain will transmit the cold down to the plant, leaving the temperature under the cloth the same as the outside.

When I used it last year, I covered everything with a layer of plastic, except that I should have left a larger air space between the plastic and the frost cloth. Everything was fine until the first rain. It didn't help that the frost cloth was rated to 23ºF and it got down to 18 for almost a week.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

December 7, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #8248519

they water the berries to keep them at 32 cloth is rated for 23 degrees it doesn't get that cold here 20's now and then over 300 people had there wells run dry the sink holes were terrible all over in those areas of the farms. They can use the frost cloth millions of dollars worth of damage done strawberries aren't all that. Then the price crashed they were 5 bucks a flat alot were wasted too many people figured we will grow berries and get rich lol yeah right rich with there neighbors law suits lol Difference here is there laying it on the ground will build heat from the ground. Joli before I ripped her out of the ground for the winter

Thumbnail by Danasplants

bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #8249207

What happens to underground water depend on surface ownership, too. And if you are last in line for that water and it's all gone, it's all gone. That has happened to a number of spring fed communities. Here in central Texas, we own the ground water, but the state has given the Lower Colorado Valley Authority control of irrigation water. Since it has contracts with cities and rice farmers all the way down to the gulf, it is pretty aggressive about poachers. It monitors meters on irrigation wells and uses airplanes to patrol the main flow of the river. San Antonio is like an octopus and is trying to imitate Los Angeles in its quest for water. It had wanted to tap into the Colorado, but was turned down. Boy, was it mad! It has filed a number of lawsuits against the LCRA. Having the agency has been a god sent. During the worst drought in recorded history from late 2007 through August of 2007, the water table barely dropped here, at least near the river. Our water table remained at 40', but then again the area is mostly ranching.

I had Audrey Hepburn taken out for me and stuck into a large pot. She was just beginning her first flush this year because she suffered so much last year that it took this long to grow up again. She's a plain single white, but I love her shape and fragrance. One or two blooms can perfume the entire yard.

Thumbnail by bettydee

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2010
9:14 PM

Post #8252700

Oh My, I love that white, it is beautiful. For some reason, I seem to have a collection of whites going on, and I love them all. I am glad you have her saved, she is beautiful.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

December 15, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #8262590

Gordon bought this one before thanksgiving was 4 inches when it got here Today she is blooming in my plant room Lady Margarett. Had her before but burned her up with fertlizer. I have bought jina at the same time in the spring I will order from Logees the pink one I have here about 6-7 different passey seeds a friend sent from Mylasia if you would like to try your hand at it you are more than welcome just let me know and I will get them out to you.

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2010
4:10 AM

Post #8262935

very pretty dana
gaseedgrower
Hollywood, FL
(Zone 11)

December 16, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #8263055

very pretty Dana...i would love to try passi seeds if you have some to share, can send bubble envelope with stamps.

Thanks.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #8263069

I would try a few of the different colors if you have enough
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #8264222

HA HA HA..'d besst get in here and accept your lovely offer .. before I'm eclpsed
YES...Danna... I'd love some...I 'll send my address... I'm still ripening my Temptation X Temptation passi's.. got two pods in front of the window and under a 400 watt MH lght... working to ripe now.. brug flowers in the cool room... now steady @ 45*F... that's that's the ticket... .. I dug up my varaigated jasmine from in there... and brought it down under the lights... remembering with a reminder from a friend... that it was also called varaigated winter jasmne... and it would like to flower at this time.. not go to sleep .. I'm sure

HA HA HA... I'd best get in here to accept.. before I find myself eclipsed..
Yes.. Dana.. Thanks... I'd love to give sprouting some a try.. I'll send my address...
I've two fruits on my Temptation X Temptation [ a blue triploid cross from Germany ] ripening in front of the window.. and under a 400w MH light.. I'll keep you posted..
With a reminder from a friend.. my varaigated jasmine .. wintering in the cool room.. was also called varaigated winter jasmine.. and would likely like to be out flowering.. rather than gong to sleep for the winter.. ah yes... I remember now... the cool room is otherwise gettng set.. now holding at 45*F.. after days in the teens and twenties... 45 *F is the target temperature.. and now...the winter jasmne s down... inside under the lights.. waking up after plenty of it's mandatory cool exposure..
brug budds setting insde.. and their flowers are in the cool room... they are a real joy in the wnter ..

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2010
6:27 AM

Post #8264698

Is that a Passion Vine flower? Beautiful color!!!!!!!
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2010
11:25 PM

Post #8271884

yes.. it's a passiflora ...finally got some seeds from one of the pods that dropped..whch reminds me to look for the brugs that came inside with pods ... wonder where they are..
I've fnally got the cool room stabilized as far as temperature goes... the heater is on it's no freeze setting.. which amounts to a 45* F setting for this heater.. with the fan to crculate the air... and gettng the heater off the ground some.. and away from a little drain openng to the outside.. with the fan evening out the entire room it only cycles when the entire room gets below 45* the last 24 hours...with maybe 28* for the low outsde.. in exceptionally heavy winds.. gusts to in the 30-35 MPH range it stayed with in 4 degrees all day
yes.. I could likely please the inside brugs with a humidifier...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2010
6:33 PM

Post #8273072

Gordon, really does it take months for pods to dry on the branches? Kaitlyn is so heavy with her three pods,,, I am anxious. If I cut them off will they continue to ripen?
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2010
11:20 PM

Post #8273285

well I believe it takes what is needed depending on the conditions.. they don't have to dry there.. falling off is a good indication.. .. cutting them off stops development.. ripening of the fruit..getting it soft mght be enough..

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2010
6:07 AM

Post #8273482

Not cutting them off they are solid and green at the stem end of the pods... good thing I asked. Thanks.. you are the best.. I sure hope the Axel Rose x LWS does something for us from the seed you sent me two years ago. It sure is a big plant now.

Merry Christmas!
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #8273589

Yes..Debra... mine is GIGANTIC but not one for flowering much though... guess that's what you mean by having it do something... it's interesting to get the same report as I'm experiencing here.. it discounts all of the colaterial things I imagine might be effectng it's behavior... [ too much this... too little that... oh it's that time I... ] Thanks
IMCANADIAN
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3a)

February 15, 2011
9:50 PM

Post #8374495

Great flower! I really like your overwintering method.
How did they make out this winter? Are you still in the deep freeze?
We are starting to warm up.
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #8965391

Hi Gorden,
What even happened with this one?
Alice
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2012
9:56 PM

Post #8965614

which one is that alice.. the axelrose X LUGERS WINDSONG... it's still in the game.. I sent out a cutting of it to AK yesterday... I was going to send you a bit of Roberto.. but thought I'd offer it to you in the spring.. brought it inside and it almost died... i THINK IT MIGHT PULL THROUGH .. I should haVE PUT IT IN THE COOL ROOM much higher humidity there.. about 80% got dozens blooming there today.. the ones inside the house... with real sunlight.. aren't doing nearly as well.. hope my real computer comes back from sony soon.. sorry for the caps...
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #8966095

The one you have pictured at the beginning of this thread you believe to be a quad.

It's wind, ice, snow, and very cold temps here today. Brugs are still blooming in the greenhouse tho .. lol
Amazing they are :)

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #8967049

I can't wait to see my AxelRoseXLWS bloom this year, Gordon. It is very tall now, and if it doesn't get too hot here this summer, Imight actually see blooms. Thinking of keeping it in the house Garden.. LOL
Amazing tree I have, from the one seed you sent me, Gordon. :D
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9013456

Debra...good luck on axel rose.. x LWS going through my seeds I found a few more of that one.. guess I'll start another while they are still only a few years from being fresh..
Alice.. well I'm not too sure just where that one got off to .. I'll look for it when everything gets up and rolling again..If I can't find it.. there's a chance likely i favored it to death.. everything but too much humidity inside..
I'm into the third or maybe fourth year of the cool room.. at first I'd bring the ones I truly wanted to be sure I got through the winter with inside with me.. where I knew they would never be cold.. but the `poor humidity inside.. and the dependable heat with very high humidity of the cool room [ this year it's not really cool.. as it's been 65-67*F all winter ] the ones outside look the best.. and have been alternating flowering with the two dozen plants there.. so that there's always been a bloom since going iinside.. the ones inside look terrible... although I believe I might have lost a few.. to getting too dry or over watering..
some cool room flowers of a few days ago.. likely Pink Perfection..

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9016346

Thanks for the update, Gordon :)
Spring is coming!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9024138

Can't wait to see your rooftop paradise..
my basement garden is rocking..
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1167701/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America