Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenerLew
Greene, ME

November 1, 2010
7:21 AM

Post #8188220

Clearly stated: "do you know the history of this common and culturally significant icon? Read on to find out the history behind the cherished fall icon."
What the article is is religious folk myth. Please let's keep the religious selling off of these pages. This article in no way can be defended as history. Present it as a religious folk tale...fine. But do not misrepresent it as history because we then lose understanding of the difference. If you don't see this, then you have.

hoffmaeg
Dayton, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2010
1:23 PM

Post #8190663

I agree with you that religious issues do not belong on these pages, but I think that you are a bit over the top in describing this as religious folk myth and being offended. Anything that has to do with dealing with the devil is folk myth. What is wrong with folk myth? It comes from ALL sources, including religion. Just take it for what it is, a myth.
gardenerLew
Greene, ME

November 3, 2010
8:12 AM

Post #8192140

hoffmaeg: you did not read correctly. I agree that this is a myth. I took it that way and said so very clearly. You missed that. The article, however, clearly presented religious myth, complete with crucifix, as "history" (direct quote) and as such, is religious spam masquerading as fact. I have no objection to the article, only how it is misrepresented.

Historically, carving pumpkins is a pagan custom, long pre-dating Christianity, and to present another pagan custom as originating in Christianity is revisionist history. What next from this writer? Horticulture in the Garden of Eden? Folk tales, fine, charming even, but it is NOT history. Let's not mislead the reader honestly believing the article will contain fact and finding preaching and parables suited for the pulpit and not the posts.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #8194902

Hoffmeag - Thank you yes it is simple myth that no one would believe, I do find it amusing that anyone would find this so offensive and religious or think that anyone would use this from the pulpit. It is just a myth, not a religious one in my book, and the earliest one I could find verified from history. The myth is amusing for a read but that is all.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 28, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9318069

Lew;
I read this a couple of years ago.
Hope you are feeling better, and not so cranky : )
naomimason
Sultan, WA

February 18, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9423392

I find nothing at all over the top or offensive in his messages. This is and should be considered an open forum where anyone can speak what they feel relevant to certain topics. We all just become more informed as I did in reading about the history of jack-o-lanterns. I am in my late 60's and learned things I never heard before. We have the opportunity to read or not to read. Great!
gardenerLew
Greene, ME

October 15, 2013
8:38 PM

Post #9686907

Sorry, but I stick by my original objection to this religious folk myth.
As naomimason says,"...anyone can speak what they feel relevant to certain topics."

History is truth. This was presented as history, and religious history at that, in the form of a religious parable coming from a Pentecostal minister.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Story of the Jack O'Lantern Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great phicks 1 Oct 28, 2008 6:44 PM
Interesting Aunt_A 4 Oct 28, 2012 12:12 PM
Yep! Seedtosser1 1 Oct 29, 2008 2:36 PM
Question... Robubba 1 Dec 29, 2008 10:40 PM
Another version/opinion Andrearichter 1 Nov 4, 2010 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America