Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Adaylilyfan
York, PA

November 2, 2010
8:08 AM

Post #8190238

I think the itchy rash was more than enough 'punishment' for the 'crime' of jumping through posionous vines.

I don't think we have that vine here. Sweet Autumn clematis gets quite unruly and looks similar.

I put some fresh mint vine around my neck this summer to keep mosquitoes away and ended up with a burning rash from that.

Thanks for another charming story. JK
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #8190279

Thanks, JK...

The needle was worse than the blisters.

I've never had a reaction to mint, and I love to run my hands through patches of it to stir up the scent. Never wore strands of it, though. Strange how we get various reactions from plants, isn't it? Sometimes we win, and sometimes the plants do.

LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 2, 2010
11:00 AM

Post #8190492

Sharon,

Thanks so much for another interesting, informative and funny (now, anyway!) story! How ironic it is that the sap of the plant causes blisters, yet it can be used as a remedy for skin diseases. Maybe it is a case of "a little is good, a lot is too much"?

LariAnn

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

November 2, 2010
12:02 PM

Post #8190561

'course it was Billy's fault--he's a boy
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #8190881

LariAnn, I thought it ironic, too.
But maybe the difference is in the internal application as opposed to the external.
You could no doubt explain that better than I can.

Yep, Iris...you are absolutely right!

Thanks, Ladies!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2010
3:39 AM

Post #8191713

Another great article! Always enjoyable! I didn't know that about Virgins Bower. My Mother had put in my mind that it was a perfect vine to grow over a reading nook for the yard and I had always planned on building one and planting it. Thanks for the warning!
oldkate
Hillsboro, OH

November 3, 2010
4:56 AM

Post #8191782

The "wild" clematis growing in this part of southern Ohio might be the Sweet Autumn one, as mentioned by Adaylilyfan - I know it can take down a wire fence over time! I'll have to investigate further. Sharon, I think you've had more adventures than you can tell us about - it makes for many "do you remembers?" when you have family reunions. Thanks! And I hope you're getting some rain.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #8192066

Thanks, June!

Kate, it rained just a bit this morning, though surprisingly none was predicted.

Memories...there are very few left who share my memories these days. I did see my elderly first grade teacher when I went back home in June, and we shared a few. As for family, my brother is 8 years younger, we grew up together but a world apart, and he's all I have left except my children. I lost an aunt earlier this summer, Aunt Ruby, who appears in several of the stories...so there's no one now.

I think I write of these memories because I want to keep them and hold them close. It was a different time, place, and I don't want to forget. And at this point, I can smile and laugh at myself and the perspectives I had at the time.

A lot of the jogs to my memory come from baby books Mom kept for me, and a lot from the notes that Aunt Bett had, old pictures, bits of dried leaves, clovers and flowers that Ninna left in her huge old family Bible...the memories are everywhere, and I grab them when they flash into my mind.

Where I lived was a little bit isolated from others, no close neighbors. My Uncle told me recently that I was like a sponge when I was little and soaked up everything around me. Maybe so. But he moved away from the mountains when I was 6, so he wasn't around for any of my real adventures.

More info than you wanted, but you got it anyway!!

Thank you!
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2010
9:41 AM

Post #8201020

Sharon, we can't get enough of your info and wonderful stories. Those of us who might be described as 'long in the tooth,' probably have good memories that the modern generations will never have. I find that very sad.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2010
9:49 AM

Post #8201057

Hi Donna,

Me too, about the memories of today's youth. I think that's why I enjoy dredging up my own memories, it might encourage younger people to make more of their own. I have lots of time at this point in my life to remember and once the box was opened, the memories just kept coming.

It's so good to have you running along beside me. We would have had a great time climbing mountains together, but we can still have a good time remembering.

Thank you!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Virgin's Bower Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
First and Foremost 3pmp 3 Nov 8, 2010 6:54 PM
Its snowing outside 3pmp 1 Nov 9, 2010 9:15 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America