3:42 PM

Post #8193003

Oh-h-h, I love the hair!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 3, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #8193157

It is really soft, too. The kind I would have done damage for when I was younger. That I TRIED to get with perms and never quite succeeded...ah well...we always want to change what we have, right? LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2010
7:36 PM

Post #8193410

You-all would have ADORED my DD#2's hair when she was that age -- it was a mass of honey blond, sunny blond curls. The kind that bounced back when you brushed them, that's what I remember most, you would brush her hair before bed or whenever and they would all spring back to perfect position. Now it's long, rather long in front and in need of a trim in back but then it will be crooked. The whole mess is dirty blond/light brown,except I let her highlight it this summer and it did naturally get a lot blonder this summer and she usually wears it down like Shakira or someone. (I don't know who Shakira is.) Anyway it is long and curly and tri-colored and gorgeous.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2010
1:33 AM

Post #8195365

Both my girls had straight brown hair but beautiful hazel eyes. The youngest now has wavy hair. Mine was nondescript brown and brown eyes.Now it's mostly grey and i love it. I do have perms and keep it short but used to wear it long.
Debra, When that baby laughs, the whole world laughs with her. I got a big smile looking at her.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 6, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #8197854

She is a sweetie and very smart, too.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 7, 2010
12:44 PM

Post #8199431

I routinely have my hair thinned and straightened. I think I look like Ronald McDonald’s little sister if I don’t. Most of us would love to be as comfortable in our skins as you are in yours, Vickie.

I have a job interview Tuesday for a job at a local country club where my appearance will matter more than it normally would in my line of work. I think I will go in my chef’s uniform shirt, black trousers and sensible shoes for kitchen work. Just scrupulously clean, high quality work clothes. What MK calls my “Emeril Lagasse outfit.” Being raised by a single father, I never became comfortable with dresses, high heels and all the other “girlie” things. I had already become set in my ways when Mama Kay tried to make “a proper young lady” out of me. I’m afraid the mild discomfort I feel dressed in feminine fluff would come across in the interview. A time when I most need to come off as confident and sure of myself. Fingers crossed I’m making the right decision. I’ve never had this much trouble finding work before.

Debra, I just finished reading the first book in the Honor Harrington series. I want one of those six legged, celery eating treecats. Lol.

Vickie, you inspired this drawing many weeks back when you mentioned watching the birds eat pokeberry outside your window. My father told me once that birds get sort of drunk eating pokeberries. I tried to find out in spare moments if that was really true, but no success. I did discovered some interesting facts about poke such as that it is poisonous to cats. My favorite fun info tidbit though had to be that ink made from pokeberries was used to write the Declaration of Independence. I had to laugh at the comment posted on one site. A manifesto written out with ink made from pokeberries on paper made from hemp. It all sound like something a bunch of hippies would do. Lol. ~Nadine~

Photo: The Pokeberry Pub

Thumbnail by Sansai87

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 7, 2010
12:50 PM

Post #8199437

Well, while I'm thinking of birds, I found this really cute video on the Purina part of yahoo. It's a crow taking a bath. Those are some smart birds.

http://purinaanimalallstars.yahoo.com/?v=8516607&l=100000085

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 7, 2010
1:29 PM

Post #8199535

Nadine, if the pokeberries were overripe and starting to ferment, wellllll...

I think the clothing choice is very sensible. I DISTINCTLY remember a interview that was blown all to someplace-really-warm-with-no-ice-water because I was so uncomfortable with my suit I couldn't focus on the interview. Ucky, ucky, ucky. We are really lucky in Texas to have a lower unemployment rate than the rest of the US, but it still ain't no picnic for those looking. I will keep fingers and toes crossed for you!!

Here is a photo of this Fall's Heritage rose for good luck.

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

November 8, 2010
1:00 PM

Post #8201382

Good fragrance, few thorns and heat tolerant! Those may be enough positives to counteract the fact that it is pink. lol. I never paid Austin roses much attention because I thought they were bred especially for cold climates. This will teach me to think! (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 8, 2010
2:06 PM

Post #8201504

Jim, that is the rose from last year's "Feed me, Seymour" photo. :-) Much tamer and restrained this year. It is a rebloomer, too. I also have a Tamora rose which is thornier than all get out and I wouldn't personally plant it again for that reason, but it does well in the heat and smells wonderful! Austin's U.S. business is based in Tyler, Texas--about 90 miles due east of me--so at least some of their roses are adapted to Southern heat.

This Dahlia is the only one of five planted that survived last Winter's snow. About a 2" bloom. Love that velvety color. Reinforces why I tolerate Texas Summer--so I can have Texas' Fall, Winter, and Spring!!

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 9, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #8203500

Nadine, how did it go today?

Debra
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 9, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #8203528

There were a lot of applicants to be interviewed after me so I didn't get a definite answer yet. I think the interview went well. One of the other applicants was talking about the job she was leaving if she got this job. After the interview at the country club I went and applied for the job she might be vacating. ROFL. Job hunting is getting as bad as apartment hunting in NYC where, I'm told, savvy apartment hunters check out the obituaries for vacant apartments.
Filled out all the paperwork for going back to college. I'm doing that no matter what!
Have you recovered from your last gardening workout? ~Nadine~
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

November 10, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #8204903

Op-p-ps! Posted on the wrong thread. Nothing wrong with me...with me...with me...with me...

This message was edited Nov 10, 2010 4:14 PM
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2010
11:53 PM

Post #8207518

What wrong thread? I thought we all simply posted where ever we happened to be. LOL
Loved the pokeberry pub. It had to have a Blue Jay for a bartender. And that crow is going to swoop down and steal all the poke berrys.
I picked the rest of the pears today. The ground was covered with yellow jackets and hornets. They were so involved with the pears on the ground they ignored me and i ignored the pears on the ground.Bought some apples and will put them up tomorrow night. Am moving my big pots up close to the house a few at a time.
Good luck with the job Nadine. Think you did just right in the clothing choice. Am so jealous about your collage classes. Here being over 70. i can go to collage free except for my books. Maybe i'll try it someday. Probably not tho. don't want to know how slow i've become.
When we lived in Overton TX ,we'd take the backroads to Tyler by some of the rosefields.Michaels in Tyler was my favorite store.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2010
8:58 AM

Post #8208018

I went to New Orleans with DH and without DD#2 and had a lovely time. The thing was, I kept falling asleep! I think a W/C ride over cobblestones at breakneck speed is exhausting! Jeez... Add more alcohol than I'm accustomed to in a year and you get one very groggy Carrie. Anyway, I'm glad you didn't miss me too too much. Now I have to COMPLETE my article about Enterprise AL and their curious statue, so don't think I'm ignoring you.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 12, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #8208856

Carrie, I watch Bourbon Street on LiveCam sometimes just for laughs. If I'd known where you were headed I'd have asked you to give me a wave. lol. Hope you made it to the Garden District awake and somewhat sober.
Gotta watch those Hurricanes. The Big Easy makes theirs with three different types of rum. Wicked stuff!
I stopped by to see the giant rooster on my way to Tuskegee today. Once, when I mentioned my hometown to someone only vaguely familiar with the area. He said,, “I confuse that line of cities along Highway 231. Do you come from the giant pig, the giant cow or the giant rooster place?” I was tempted to claim the chicken, but finally admitted I came from the big pig city . ~Nadine~

Thumbnail by Sansai87

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2010
11:48 PM

Post #8209062

What a gorgeous chicken! I want it in my yard.
LOL Carrie with all that alcohol you don't know if you had a goodtime or not.

Edited to say
I watch that bourbon street cam some too.

This message was edited Nov 13, 2010 2:47 AM
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2010
1:14 AM

Post #8209078

Found the Pemmican receipe...
1 Buffalo
16 lbs Choke Cherries

Take one buffalo.Skin. Cut the meat in thin strips and sundry on racks. (Takes several days to dry) When meat is dry,pound it into a course meal. Set aside.

Break and boil bones of buffalo. Skim off all fat and extract the marrow from the bones. Render all fat fom buffalo in cauldron (or in hide-lined pit in ground with hot stones.) Pound choke cherrys into course meal. Retain seeds and skins.

When buffalo fat becomes liquified,add meat,fat and cherries. Place mixture into bladder or water-tight skin containers (parfleches) and seal(sew shut)

NOTE: This mixture has been known to last for as long as 80 years.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 13, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #8209346

Ohhhhkay. Think I will stick with Love Truck Stop beef jerky. That is WAY too much work. I am infinitely grateful to be living now and not 100 years back. Antibiotics, digital cameras, the Accessible Gardening thread on the Internet...what would we do without them? LOL
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

November 13, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #8209378

Reminds me of the "elephant stew" joke that started "cut one elephant into bite-sized pieces."

We have neither buffalo nor elephants here just the occasional VW-sized jackrabbit - they are not your fluffy little Easter bunnies.

kb
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2010
2:03 AM

Post #8210450

I was introduced to Jackrabbits when we lived in Texas. Also Jackalopes. I beleived in Jackalopes for about an hour.
Don't forget to be grateful for nurserys and flower catalogs. Can you imagine carting bags of fowerbulbs and cuttings and seeds in a covered wagon all the way across the country. Course we would'nt have gas prices jumping up on us when we least expect it.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 14, 2010
4:27 PM

Post #8211674

I think one of the shows I watched as a child had an episode about the Jackalope, I'd always thought it was something the writers made up. Guess I was wrong.
Anyway, I've been pretty busy with college paperwork and trying to get caught up on assignments, so I could only do a sketch today. It pretty much describes my state of mind right now though.
~Nadine~

Thumbnail by Sansai87

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

November 15, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #8213909

I've seen her with her ears. I haven't witnessed the full transformation with the paws and all.
BTW, I think Jackalopes are suppose to have horns, Sweetie.
I DID get my German chocolate b'day cake. Life is good! One of my SILs shares the same b'day and another SIL has a b'day tomorrow. The three of us will get together at noon tomorrow to celebrate surviving another year and kick off the holiday party season. If I've worked this right, there should be ANOTHER German chocolate cake there. lol. (Jim)

Thumbnail by seacanepain

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 15, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #8214070

And, HE didn't even come from "the big pig city."
BTW: It's a BABY jackalope. They don't have horns.
I think I'll hold off on the buffalo until Swanson comes out with microwavable, buffalo pot pie or Mikey D's starts doing buffalo burgers. ~n~

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #8215637

Aww come on now is there really an animal called a Jackalope??
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

November 17, 2010
11:57 AM

Post #8217071

Nadine swears she has a baby jackalope living under her computer desk. He always puts in an appearance when she has had too little sleep and too much Monster energy drink. She blames Jack for all her computer woes. She acquired her jackalope after seeing them on an episode of "Eerie, Indiana". (Before the jackaope it was Nessie who was responsible for any mischief. I guess Nessie went back to Scotland.)
I think jackalopes were around long before "Eerie, Indiana.". I've always heard a taxidermist in Texas with a bizarre sense of humor "discovered" jackalopes. He attached deer antlers to a large jackrabbit skull in such a convincing way he had people hunting the elusive Texas jackalope for quite a while.
Glad you popped in, Sheri. How have you been lately? (Jim)

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #8217574

I am blessed beyond measure. Have adopted a little Poodle from the local animal shelter. White, male (neutered) 3 years old and 4.6 lbs! I've named him Jazzman P Bosley! He gets called Jazz most of the time, but Bosley seems to get his attention faster. I may decide to use Bosley as his call name once we begin obedience classes.
That will likely not be until Spring though, as I am in a left long leg knee immobilizer due to a torn hamstring.
Just having a blast here in NC ^_^

Sheri
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #8217828

No Nadine, There is no Jackalope. But everyone in Texas still talks about them esp to people who have just moved there.LOL
The elusive Faulk Monster is also supposed to navigate along the Sulpher River that runs thru NE Texas to Faulk AR.
Should you ever find yourself in Clarksville Tenn,Don't ever go near the Bell Witch Cave...Her, I beleive in.
AH!h!h!h! Sheri, A little poodle. I hear they are smart lil boogers.
Is that immobilezed knee from the wreck still? You have really had a time of it.
DD,s BF helped me wash windows today(inside and out) Oh what a difference!!!) After i do a little more cleaning, Up goes the mini Christmas tree and winter village. Have a little venison to cut up.(enough for 2 messes.)
My stove is still not here. Maybe tomorrow.
Vickie

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2010
11:48 PM

Post #8217979

LOL Vickie,
Yes, they are very smart. My little one already knows eactly where both his kennel crate and daytine window seat are.. OH and BTW he also stants up on his hind legsand dances in a circle to beg for yummies!!

I haven't quite figured out his growling at Elvis, yet. Today we went to 2 different pet stores and Jazz met with his tail wagging and friendly as could be a number of other dogs, I think it must be a territorial thing since the entire house smells of proof that Elvis still really is the King. And so perhaps Jazz is just feeling the need to try harder to show his Alpha nature (I do need to remember that he was an intact male for 3 years too).
Jazz is such a little sweetie. Today we went for our 1st vet check with my long time beloved vet, Dr B. He was very impressed at just how sweet Jazz was, cuddling up to him and being very good thru the exam.
I'm pretty hopeful that after a few weeks he will settle in and we can begin obedience classes.

Pictures coming soon, A friend found an old dig cam that she wasn't using anymore and is sending it to me. DG has sure given me a huge family of people that I both love and am loved by choice. I am ever so thankful for Dave's vision for this site and now for Cubits,which may be similar in some whays, but is very different in others.

Hugs and puppy kisses all around,
Sheri Elvis & Jazz...+ Sara, Marley and Dogwood deKatt ^_^

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 18, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #8218556

Sheri, my grandmother used to breed miniature Poodles and they are one of the smartest, most loving dogs breeds around. Glad he found you. :-)

Debra
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 19, 2010
4:45 PM

Post #8220931

Carrie, a Fall Color Photo for you... :-0

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2010
5:20 PM

Post #8220977

Hi everybody! I want to introduce you to my new little guy. 3 yr old podle boy (all 4lbs) named Jazz. Momz's got me in a Sponge Bob sweater. I really got a buzz job at the groomers cause of some matts in my hair. I shiver really bad without a sweater on.

yer friend ,
Jazz

This message aproved by Sheri

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 19, 2010
8:12 PM

Post #8221166

Hey, Jazz. COOl threads!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2010
12:12 AM

Post #8221308

She is a sweet baby.
I got my stove today. Not from Lowes but from Atwoods.I went by there and saw and grabbed. Have'nt tried it out yet. Even tho they said it was'nt necessary. I want to lay some tiles or rocks down under it. It is small but what i wanted. Should i move i can take it with me. I still have'nt got my winter village up yet. I do things so slowly.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2010
11:30 AM

Post #8221969

Hi everybody! I'm just taking a moment out from wrastling with this ARTICLE to say hello. Debra, Gomphrena? I didn't spell it write but we know what we mean. Nadine, do you have any back-up sources for your claim that such-and-such percent of US grown peanuts are grown w/in 50 miles of Enterprise? Love to all, Carrie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 20, 2010
11:52 AM

Post #8221991

Sheri, SpongeBob is da bomb! Because it looks so good on Jazz. :-) He's a sweetie.

Hi, Nadine! How goes the culinary endeavor?

Buenos dias, Kay! When you find a conifer or two you like, would you let me know? They don't really fit well in a NorthCentral Texas landscape, but I'd like to try a small one. I miss them...

Jim, of COURSE there are Jackalopes! Didn't you hear that everything is bigger and wilder in Texas--including how tall the tales are? LOL

Vickie, slow is good. You don't miss anything important you might otherwise if rushing around.

Carrie, yes, it is Strawberry Fields Gomphrena. My favorite. Every year, I order six to 10 plants from Pase Greenhouses (it reseeds itself a bit, too). :-) Last weekend, put a row of five White Swan Echinacea with it. The Iris out of range to the right is yellow. I think the combination of colors and textures will look good. They'll be fun, anyway.

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2010
1:49 PM

Post #8222117

Was just remembering 2nd grade art (for some reason), where people only came in one color (apricot, I think) and grass was all grass green and the sky was all sky blue and the teacher walked up and down the rows collecting the skin colored crayons before she distributed the ruby-red crayons for the mouths of the GIRL figures only. We had to STAY WITHIN THE LINES and God forbid we colored the grass in skin-colored or the boy mouths lemon yellow, which was, of course, reserved for the sun. If the teacher was successful, everyone's picture would look identical. UGH.

I think what made me think of it was the color of that gomphrena. (I still didn't get it right.) It's not strawberry red, well, maybe, but it's so many reds! Real life has such a more interesting palate than crayola or hallmark or any of them. Richer, deeper, more complex. Yummy.

This message was edited Nov 20, 2010 4:57 PM
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 20, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #8222293

I know what you mean. I won a third grade coloring contest because I made sure I was ALL in the lines, the girl had blondey-blonde hair, the sky was sky blue, and the grass was grass green. I reallyreally wanted that fried chicken dinner... :-)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 21, 2010
10:00 PM

Post #8224533

It is a pity there is no way to make money from lizards. Amargia would be on Easy Street if there were. We have always had an unusual number and variety of them, but they have been EVERYWHERE lately. Particularly, hanging around on the front porch. Twice this week. They’ve slipped into the house and I had to catch them and put them back out. (Lizards are under Kay’s protection because they eat bugs.) The only ones that people show any fear of are the glass lizards. I suppose because those have undeveloped legs and people mistake them for snakes. On the other hand, people actually seem fascinated by the Alabama bluetails (Technically, a skink, not a lizard.) and the anoles (chameleons) I did discover why there have been so many hanging around the front porch. That was my inspiration for this week’s drawing.

Papa Jim was laughing about once seeing Texas Jackalope milk for sale at the counter in a restraint near Austin. Think I could market Alabama lizard milk? Alligator turtle milk? ~Nadine

Photo: “A Bug Zapper Thanksgiving”

Thumbnail by Sansai87

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2010
1:58 AM

Post #8224596

Nadine, If you attached Organic to the milks name, You'd probably make a fortune.
Does'nt organic Alabama turtle milk sound so-o-o-o good? LOL
I bet not one city person would know turtles don't make milk. Except the ones on DG of course.
We have the bluetail skinks here but they are rare. I'm another one who protects lizards,and frogs and toads. The only thing i kill is copperheads. We don't have chamelians. I'd love to see one. Don't the glass lizards lose their tails when frightened and grow new ones?
I was a medeocer colorer in grade school.

The times i've been in hospitals for deprssion. They always bring out the crayons and coloring pages. It is good therapy to color. Kinda like doodling.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2010
11:41 AM

Post #8225414

Nadine, I LOVE a bug zapper Thanksgiving!!! That's a winner for sure. But Vickie, doesn't EVERYONE learn that only mammals give milk?

Maybe that car insurance co. ruined geckos, but they are sure adorable, outdoors please.

Vickie, coloring is lovely fun, as long as YOU decide what colors go where!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 22, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #8225639

Your probably right, Carrie. I would have to make it Armadillo Milk. Most people aren't quite sure what category those belong to. Think Texans have already been there and done that?
Even I would have colored inside the lines for a fried chicken dinner. ~N~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 22, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #8225651

Yeah, I was 8, the oldest of four, and Mom and Dad had split up again, so she was having a hard time feeding all us. We weren't exactly going hungry, but that fried chicken just sounded soooo good. :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2010
4:23 PM

Post #8225829

Could have figured you were an oldest child! Me too! (They must have studied MS and birth order, right?)

OK my article about Enterprise is almost done. Nadine, can you confirm the # or % of peanuts grown near Enterprise? I got into US history and Carver and crop rotation and all KINDS of unrelated stuff! There is even a song!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 22, 2010
5:00 PM

Post #8225920

Celebrate. :-)

The wind blurred it a bit, but the Geranium really is that bright.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #8226018

Well, even if there were stuff like that outside, it would be too could to look at it ...
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 22, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #8226108

But that's why I'm going to keep you supplied with bright, pretty flower pictures. I'd try Smell-o-vision, too, but Geraniums stink. :-D

Debra
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 22, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #8226127

I think I saw that here.
http://www.nationalpeanutfestival.com/ ~N~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #8226924

Thank you, thank you, Debra and Nadine. Gotta check that link!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 28, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #8235127

Every time I turn on the radio now, I hear Christmas songs. That's kind of the inspiration for this week, well, that and wondering what Santa feeds his reindeer

Photo: Getting ready for Christmas

Thumbnail by Sansai87

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 28, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #8235128

I was trying to write a story earlier this week and ended up drawing my main character, a plant dragon. I thought that she may fit in here.

Photo: Em the Plant Dragon

Thumbnail by Sansai87

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #8235691

I am up to my ears in potted Brugs...Not complaining though. I bet there are 30 at lest that people sent me stalk cuttings of and this year they nearly all developed the nubbies & roots necessary before planting in dirt. I will definitely have to find someone to do some springtime digging for me!

I want all of yo to meet my newest family member. Jazz (JazzMan P. Bosley) He is 3 yrs and 4.6 #'s of pure toy Poodle love (except the little fool growls at Elvis who is 30#'s and blind so of course defends himself---I hope all 3 of us survive this intro period!)

Sheri

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 4, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #8244422

Clematis florida Sieboldii - budding out in December. I luhhhv Texas. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #8244437

this is a very cool thing that you just might enjoy watching-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g1wDQKqpPQ

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2010
6:22 PM

Post #8244463

Oh, I've seen that, yes, extraordinarily cool.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 5, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #8244963

I hadn't seen that before, it was fun to watch. :-) thank you.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2010
1:20 PM

Post #8247217

I’ve re-joined the living. Was it really me who told the doctor I didn’t need a flu shot? Naw, couldn’t have been. I would not have been that foolish.
Carrie, when I was little, the statistic was that half the peanuts in the world were grown in this area. Dothan, a community near Enterprise and the largest city in the area, rightfully called itself “The Peanut Capitol of the World.” You still hear that claim sometimes. But, in truth, Texas and Georgia farmers, foreign growers and the increasing profit in growing soybeans has significantly reduced that. Dothan still calls itself the peanut capitol of the world on the basis that large scale peanut growing got its start here. The fact is we now only grow about 1/3 of the peanuts in the U.S. Places like Whitesboro and Floresville in Texas now have their own peanut festivals. I got the 1/3 statistic from an Auburn University pamphlet. You hear different statistics thrown around, however. Like this one that says ½, but it is a promotional site.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5738074/things_to_do_in_dothan_alabama.html?cat=16
I would be more likely to believe the current Auburn stats. Auburn is the premiere “cow college” in Alabama. (BTW, Vickie, I’ve decided to forgive you for being a University of Alabama fan. After all, no one is perfect. ;-) Anyway, I’ll scream “Roll Tide” as loudly as anyone else when their opponent isn’t Auburn. As for Auburn being a “cow college,” I’ve heard the same thing said of Texas A&M. It sounds like Auburn is in good company.)
Here’s an EOA link, in case you haven’t come across it, Carrie.
http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/face/Article.jsp?id=h-2016
While reading this article, it will help to keep in mind that Coffee, Houston, Geneva and Dale counties are adjacent to one another. The article doesn’t mention Coffee County (the county Enterprise is in) by name. I assume the statistic changes from year to year as farmers rotate their crops so you might want to write around it somehow.
Ironically, I’m seeing mostly cotton in the fields this year. Perhaps, I should explain how I “see” these fields. When Nadine was very young, Mike had to take her out into a cotton field to let her pick some because she was adament the farmers were growing marshmallows. lol. I know the fields around here are in cotton because she still squeals “Marshmallows!” and laughs whenever she sees a field ofcotton. Inevitably, she buys a bag of marshmallows while we are out. We have plenty of marshmallows in the house right now. They are still baling the cotton. Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #8247622

Thanks, Kay ... the article is scheduled for Dec. 11, her 91st anniversary (or 89th). I'll have to check what I said about the % of peanuts. I did explain that Coffee County was named after a Mr. Coffee, not the beverage.

I had my flu shot at Walgreen's today!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

December 8, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #8251024

Just for the record, cotton taste really bad. Not at all like cotton candy. :-) I know this for a fact.
Hey, I didn't know that about Coffee Co. You can learn new stuff everyday hanging around here.
With a little help from PlantFiles, I finally understand Mama Kay’s version of “The Twelve Days of Christmas.”

She sings:
On the 12th day of Christmas
My true love gave to me
Twelve artimesias
Eleven stephanotis
Ten rosemary bushes
Nine, damask roses
Eight Madonna lilies
Seven sweet Michelia
Six Milky Way trees
Five lavenders
Four cedar sage
Three mock orange
Two wax vines
And, a silver dollar hanging on a tree.

I guess “a silver dollar hanging on a tree” is silver dollar eucalyptus. Wax Vine is Hoya carnosa A “Milky Way tree” is Stemmadenia galeottiana. Sweet Michelia is the flowering tree that provides the key ingredient for the perfumes Door and Joy, the tree seeds she recently planted. I get it! A fragrant Christmas to all! lol. ~Nadine~.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 11, 2010
11:44 AM

Post #8254787

Took this photo this afternoon for anyone who needs a little brightening today. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2010
1:28 PM

Post #8254904

Thank you - came in handy!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

December 12, 2010
10:04 PM

Post #8257077

Gorgeous! Like, living sunshine.
This is a lean Christmas so I’ve been working on gift drawings today. I’ll try to have something here for those winter Monday blahs so stay tuned. Hugs all around. Remember, if you find yourself in Alaska, it is against the law to give a moose beer. ~N~
http://www.totallyuselessknowledge.com/laws.php
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 13, 2010
8:24 AM

Post #8257692

Nadine, never had the talent for drawing, so you have a perfect gift to give. I used to make "coupons" in lean years. For cooking services (three dinners) or childcare (two Friday nights) or housecleaning or five hours of personal errands, etc. Something I could do that didn't take money, but would be meaningful to the recipient. My niece used to beg for the childcare coupons (four kids). LOL

Debra
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

December 13, 2010
8:11 PM

Post #8258891

Here's this week's drawing.

Photo: Reindeer Envy

Thumbnail by Sansai87

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2010
4:43 PM

Post #8260373

Nadine, you could quite certainly sell that to Hallmark to make Christmas cards. Excellent!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #8262643

Nadine, Loved it!!
Fits the times,huh?
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

December 16, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #8263970

Yep, Vickie, unfortunately true. Thanks, Carrie. Maybe, when I’ve gotten consistently good enough Amargia can come out with its own line of greeting cards. lol. My abilities tend to vary wildly, depending on how much Lexapro I have in my bloodstream. Kay has seriously talked about our own Zone 8/9a garden calendar that includes the local sowing schedule. People new to this area are often confused about when to plant what. Since there are lots of military bases around (meaning lots of military families coming and going), we never have a shortage of people new to the area. I'll propose original art every month.
Papa Jim could do an appropriate monthly quote. He’s been spouting quotes for EVERY occasion and situation lately. I actually like his George Burns quotes. My favorite, at the moment, is:
“For true happiness you need a warm, loving, close-knit family….that lives in a distant city. “
I bet there would be a lifetime’s work of scholarly papers for any psychoanalyst brave enough to study holiday family get-togethers.
I’m getting off easy this year, just Mama Kay’s family on Christmas Eve. They have only good natured fencing at their family events. It is always very polite and civilized. The food is the only thing uncivilized. It is DELICIOUS, but tends to be rustic fare. Only a problem if you don’t like venison and wild game which shows up in a lot of dishes. Every year someone makes the joke, “You know, we would probably get more presents, if we didn’t eat the reindeer.” I think they take turns with that joke. Wonder whose turn it is this year? :) ~Nadine~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #8264054

You definitely could create a line of greeting cards, Nadine, if you got funny like THAT every time! Do you remember The Far Side?
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

December 17, 2010
10:37 AM

Post #8265067

The Far Side was a little before my time, but I remember it because my elder sister collected Larson's stuff. Also, you still see reprints from time to time of his better and more controversial panels.
Mama Kay let me in on the family's joke. People of purer Scandinavian stock called Scandinavian-urgricks "reindeer chasers." Some of her ancestors really DID eat reindeer. ~Nadine~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2010
2:08 PM

Post #8265331

You really missed out, little one.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2010
7:00 PM

Post #8265693

Scandinavian-UGRIC. I guess "reindeer chasers" was easier for them to spell. :-) Nadine thinks any meal that contains cabbage or brussel sprouts is "rustic." Many people do. Cabbage, especially, has a reputation as "peasant food."
Her work seems to get better and better as she adjust to being on an anti-depressant. Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2010
1:09 PM

Post #8267979

Yum. Nobody will eat cabbage except me - probably too many cole slaw side dishes at chain restaurants. Now cole slaw with good cabbage and a good vinaigrette dressing - not out of a vat - yum yum yum. My husband has the misfortune of being Irish where cabbage has a very bad rep.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 19, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #8268091

I like cooked cabbage with bacon and vinaigrette. And sauerkraut. And sweet-and-sour red cabbage. Can't get more Irish than Colcannon which is really good, especially if you like 'taters.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

December 19, 2010
9:37 PM

Post #8268554

Here's this week's drawing

Photo: Holiday Blues

Thumbnail by Sansai87

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2010
8:36 AM

Post #8269038

Reminds me of myself - but I think I like the reindeer one best.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

December 20, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #8269045

I don’t think anyone needs me to explain the inspiration behind this week’s drawing.
My Da was much older than my friends’ parents and I didn’t look much like him. He got tired of explaining to people over and over that, no, he wasn’t my grandfather and that, no, I wasn’t adopted. He got so frustrated after a while that he would roll his eyes and tell the idly curious all about how he found me in a cabbage patch. :-) That would not have been so bad if I hadn’t come along just after the CabbagePatch kids phenomenon. (Those one-of-a-kind dolls with the funny faces that people went nuts over in the 80’s.) I got teased a LOT about cabbage. Why were babies always found amongst the cabbages anyway?
I HATED cabbage and all of its relatives until recently. (I still don’t like southern-style slaw with the white sugar in it. The apple and raisin sweetened version, is sometimes good.) Things like Brussels sprouts roasted with chestnuts and cabbage strudel have been a pleasant surprise. I never imagined you could create a meal with a sort of rustic, elegance working with ingredients like wild game and cabbagie veggies. You really can. They still haven’t sold me on all the cranberry stuff though. MK says my cranberry experiences were profoundly limited by that sauce that comes in the cans. When I was a kid, I did like the way it slid out with those ridges and impressions from the inside of the can intact. Lol. I like cranberry juice, but that is about it. ~Nadine~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2010
11:34 AM

Post #8269233

Have you read my cranberry article, Nadine?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/315/

Cranberry bread is almost like banana bread. From there you can move on to cranberry jam, jelly and sauce with lots of sugar. Thence to whole-berry cranberry sauce -- YUM YUM YUM.

DH swears he will die at 64 which is the age at which his older brother died. If he does that, I will make a trek to to Armagia.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2010
1:24 AM

Post #8270149

Miss Nadine, Where did you come across my picture? Add a few wrinkles and a few lbs and thats me.My curly hair, my glasses. Only now my hair is grey and no glasses except to read.
I love cranberry everything.No one else in the family does. They don't like pumpkin either. Thats sad.
I knew i'd die at 28 as my mother and grandmother and here i am 70. Like my great grandmother, she made it to 96.
I'm gonna make a trek to Amargia anyway.I simply can't resist.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 21, 2010
7:04 AM

Post #8270479

My former husband used to swear he was going to die at 30. He's 51 now. :-) Funny how some things stick in our heads.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

December 21, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #8271073

Great, Carrie and Vickie! I’ll get to work on the doorways. Two doors need to be widened. Your w/c would probably pass easily, Carrie. I know Da’s did. PJ is well over six feet and pushing 300 lbs though so his had to be extra large. Man, is he grumbling about that. It is good this came to our attention. It could be a problem even for smaller people who have oxygen or other medical apparatus to deal with.
Tell your DH not to count on shuffling off the mortal coil so soon, Carrie. I heard PJ reading a Popular Science article to MK at the breakfast table. It was the magazine’s scientific achievement predictions for 2011. we are suppose to get the “tree of life” next year. Isn’t that supposed to make people immortal or something?
I guess it is like that thing they did a few years ago when they dug through human genetics and were able to find the “scientific Adam.” It seems geneticist can tell original genes from mutations and adaptations. Sometime next year we should know what the first tree looked like.
I said the world’s first tree probably looked something like Ginkgo biloba. Papa Jim's brain has run with that. He forgot to pay the water bill until the last minute so now, he is walking around the house singing “Ginkgo biloba Blanca, I can’t remember my name” to the tune of “Una paloma Blanca. I’m just a bird in the sky.” Amargia is a very fun and creative place to spend time, if you don’t scare too easily. :-)
Has the wicked, witchy cold got all your pretties yet, Debra? ~Nadine~.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 21, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #8271212

Nadine, the freezes we've had don't last long, so lots of greenery and flora-stuffus still around. Have red, yellow, and orange Roses, Butterfly Blue Scabiosa, White Swan Echinacea, burgundy Snapdragon, cranberry Cyclamen, orange Calendula, yellow mini-Zinnia, sieboldii Florida Clematis, and pink and red Dianthusesses in bloom. This time of year is why I stay here, in spite of the horrendous summer heat. :-)

Debra

This message was edited Dec 21, 2010 9:17 PM

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2010
5:06 PM

Post #8271456

Thanks for the reminder, Debra. I want to get some calendula started.
Wow, stuff blooming at Christmas. I feel lucky simply to have plenty of green in Dec. and Jan. I assume because we are in a low-lying area with lots of water around, Amargia gets hit hard by frost. We can lag two weeks or more behind our neighbors’ bloom times in spring. I finally decided instead of envying my neighbors and fighting nature, I would turn my attention to plants that actually like that extra chill time. I can grow things like wintergreen that don’t do well for my upland neighbors and exchange them for those early spring bouquets.
I felt that desperate "need to seed" today. Seeded some houseplants and cool season salad veggies in the unheated greenhouse. Some calendula (and nasturtium) flowers to garnish those salads sounds good.
For much of my life the doctors thought I had Marfan's syndrome. People with Marfin's rarely live beyond 50. I'm the embodiment of that old joke. "If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. :-) Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #8272553

Oh but people with Marfan's are really, really smart, I thought. Abe Lincoln? How old was he - he certainly didn't make it past 50! Q. E. D.

When you talked about that wicked, witchy cold, Nadine, I thought you meant this cold in my chest. Yeesh, we do get self-centered! I'm now taking 2 asthma inhalers (different from each other) and cough syrup with codeine so we can sleep. (Every time I cough or wheeze, I look at DH, who is staring at the ceiling with wide open eyes and says something like "are you ready to the ER?" Of course at the MD today I was breathing clear as a bell compared to last night, but I had some impressive coughing fits.

Green at Christmas that's not wrapping paper or mold! Pretty good!!!! What's the best time of year for my hypothetical visit to Armagia as a widow (in 6 years)?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 22, 2010
12:35 PM

Post #8272641

Here is a yaller one to cheer your week.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2010
12:36 PM

Post #8272642

Nice!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2010
12:20 PM

Post #8273992

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEPHANIE/SCRAPS!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 23, 2010
12:39 PM

Post #8274011

Happy Birthday, Scraps.

katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 23, 2010
12:46 PM

Post #8274019

Birthday? Did someone say Pink Flower for Birthday?

(took photo yesterday)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

December 23, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #8274110

Happy Birthday, Scraps. My GF's b'day is today too. (Well, the man I call my grandfather anyway.) I bet having a birthday so close to Christmas has its challenges.
Here’s the plan, Carrie. Tell your DH you are going to bring his ashes to Amargia with you when you come here as a grieving widow and you are going to create a garden in his name. You can wax poetic about how he will not only provide the inspiration for a beautiful garden he will provide the fertilizer, as well. :-o (My guess is that if he is worried he might end up as south Alabama dirt, he will do whatever needs doing to assure he has a long life.) I’ll start work on a plot that has him accompanying you here while he’s still breathing.
I watched “A Christmas Carol” and “The Nightmare Before Christmas” last night. Can anyone tell? :-)
I like the yellow one, Debra. ~Nadine~
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

December 23, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #8274273

Well, I like the pink one. lol. What is that?
Happy Birthday, Steph! Hope you will be back with us soon. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 23, 2010
4:43 PM

Post #8274302

It's Dianthus, Jim. Have this color and a sort of electric maroon blooming.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #8274331

Neon oh I can't remember the name? I think I recognize it.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

December 24, 2010
6:26 AM

Post #8274903

'Neon Star'? I've been looking at dianthus for Kay. Many of them are fragrant. That name comes to mind.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 24, 2010
8:27 AM

Post #8275038

Neon Star looks to be lighter in color than mine. It has survived two years in this pot. Supposed to have lows in the mid-20s the next two nights. Will be covering annuals still blooming, , so we'll see what happens over the weekend. Jim, I'll check it for fragrance. If smells nice, be happy to send you some for Kay.

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #8275165

Neon Star, that is what I was thinking of.

My new PCA is yelling at me.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

December 24, 2010
9:50 PM

Post #8275924

Sheesh! What’s the good of being able to talk once a year if everyone in the house is asleep? Lucky for me, I spend a lot of time lounging by the boss ladies desk and I’ve figured out how this machine works.
How you been Elvis? Heard you have a new pup to train. Hope that’s going well. I know how trying they can be. Fenny is a bit of a spoiled brat and still gets too hyper. I have to correct her rude behavior and remind her I am still alpha dog around here on a regular basis. I see your cat, Dogwood, is looking good and still a public figure. I continue to see that Fenny keeps the local bobcats out of Dogwood’s catnip patch at Amargia. The night cold bothers my old bones so I need to spend evenings inside. I guess you could say I’m management now.
Staying warm, I hope, Dillon? Heard you got more cats living at your place. Just don’t let your human catch you pulling their tails or growling at them. (Even if they do deserve it.) Humans just don’t understand cats will take over completely, if you don’t take them down a notch or two from time to time. (No offense, Mr. D., but you know kittens need to learn at least a little humility.
Boss lady cooked a big bird today and will be cooking more big bird tomorrow. I hung out by the kitchen door and did the usual routine to get them to give me stuff. The big-sad-eyes method works best for me. Since the boss lady can’t see me, I throw some pathetic whines in when she is the one at the stove. I did well. Fenny focused in on the little people so she was able to stuff herself with cookies. Personally, I target the big humans. They are more likely to give you the good stuff, meat and cheese. That crazy pup loves peanut butter cookies though and little people are the best source of those. She clowns around to convince people to give her treats. Rather undignified, but you have to be practical about these things. .
Well, I think I’ll go across the road and chat with my neighbor the mule, while I still can. He tells some interesting stories. Have a delicious Christmas and take good care of your humans during the coming year. Talk with you next Christmas Eve. Wishing you all the blessings, peace, ear scratches and good eats the Season can bring. TaterDog
P.S.: Miss Carrie, since you don't have a furr-friend to do it for you, I would suggest growling at this PCA.

Thumbnail by seacanepain

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 25, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #8276194

That, they do.

Copyright Jim Davis 02/13/83

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #8277583

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. We are curled up trying to stay warm, eating turkey/cranberry sandwiches and recovering.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2010
12:29 PM

Post #8277596

Ooops.

Thumbnail by Amargia

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 26, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #8277744

Kay, saw the weather reports for your area, did you get snow?

It's chilly, here, but still have a few blooms. Odd that the cold puts a light burgundy edge on the petals. I like it, just weird.

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 26, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #8277747

Clematis

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2010
12:20 AM

Post #8278242

Debra, I do love your flowers.
Only a couple months till spring flowers. Now is the time to drool over flower catalogs.
Tater dog, my furry friends send you tail wiggles,loud purrs and Cricket says that to her, CATS do not exist. I sadly noticed today that her fur is turning grey.She's as fiesty as ever tho.
Our expected snow turned into a little ice. Will try again for New Years.I saw too your snow forcast.Did it? Did it?
We had a beef roast for Christmas. Was different.
Vickie

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2010
4:09 PM

Post #8279418

Vickie, trade you turkey leftovers for roast leftovers. lol I have a bad case of turkey burn-out.
There were some snow flurries in the air, but nothing stayed on the ground at Amargia. Just lots of ice and a wickedly cold wind. There was snow just north of us where my GS’s live, however. It didn’t take them long to learn about snowball fights. Their big sister is definitely ready for it to melt. She says she’s not going to wish for Christmas snow again until her brothers grow up. Brothers never grow up in my experience. I was at my brother’s house over the holiday, he put one of those motion activated talking snowmen in the bathroom. The ones that make comments like, “Come on in. Sit down. Make yourself comfortable” It was freaking people out. Nope, brothers NEVER grow up. Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #8279621

18-24" of snow! My Christmas present to myself was that I stayed off the computer! Usual meltdowns with kids. Had a good time.

PCA left in a huff, then kept calling and calling so I could apologize, then today she called up to ask what time I wanted her to come in tomorrow (which was her next regularly scheduled workday) and I said hunh? You quit. And she's back-pedaling and I just needed to get out and cool off yadda yadda yadda and I said (with Lamont ice in my voice) No lady, you quit. (Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out.)
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 27, 2010
8:56 PM

Post #8279836

I have some neighbors she could visit.

kb
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2010
9:03 PM

Post #8281424

Think she'd be right at home with your neighbors Katie.LOL

Way to go Carrie!!!! I did that once to a housekeeper. Made me feel good for days.However i still don't have another housekeeper.
The roast is gone as is the cheese balls i made. Tomorrow i'll get stuff to make more.cheese balls not roast.
I heard from scraps and she may be back on line after the first.
Is anyone else going to have black eyed peas for New Years(for good luck)Or is that just a Texas thing?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 29, 2010
8:34 AM

Post #8281848

Might be. Never heard of it until we moved here from Indiana, anyway. Dunno. :-0 Also dunno if I'm going to give in to it this year or skip it. I do not care for black-eyed peas or pintos or any beans of that nature, but ya never know what kind of bad luck will haunt you if you ignore entrenched and venerated tradition. LOL
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

December 29, 2010
10:27 AM

Post #8282026

Kay always does the Hoppin' John on New Year's Day thing., but her father came here from the Houston/Galveston area. The tradition might very well have come to her via Texas. We didn't have that tradition in Pennsylvania. Maybe, that is why I had such bad luck before I hooked up with Kay. :-) (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2010
3:05 AM

Post #8283119

I found a receipe for BEpea casserole. With hamburger,peppers,rice and peas.
Jim did'nt you always have the luck of the irish?
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

December 31, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #8285136

lol. Not where women were concerned. The luck of the German/Swiss, I guess. (They call us Pennsylvania DUTCH, but we actually decended from German and Swiss immigrants.) PA Dutch may be a thing of the past soon. Most people think of Amish when they think PA Dutch and large numbers of Amish are leaving PA and going to Ohio. They say the tourist industry that has grown up around their lifestyle is making it harder and harder. Many say they've started feeling like goldfish in a bowl.
That dish sounds good, Vickie. Nadi fell in love with Texas caviar at a holiday gathering. She wants to make that.
Count your blessings, Debra, pickled pig's feet are a traditional New Year's food in some parts of the south. I count mine that one isn't among Kay's family traditions. :-) (Jim)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 1, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8286768

Happy New Year to everyone!!!  The sky is gray and growling here.  It is a good day for sleeping in, but TaterDog evidently doesn’t celebrate the New Year.  She insist I get up.  I tried to hide under the blankets, but she kept finding a place it wasn’t tucked tight or just waited until I dozed back off and stopped holding the blanket over my face.  She kept peeling the blanket back in a version of puppy peek-a-boo.  Now, I know where the phrase “doggedly determined” came from. 
Today’s cartoon  is in two-frames.  I’ve titled Part I “Auld Lang Syne.     
Just for the Record.  Those people who sang a version of Auld Lang Syne last night that you found totally incomprehensible may not have been as drunk as you believed.  Auld Lang Syne is a very old Scottish folksong.  Robert Burns is credited with giving it to the world at large. 
Auld Lang Syne (Robby Burns version)

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And auld lang syne?

Chorus:
For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne,
We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet
For auld lang syne!

We twa hae run about the braes,
And pu'd the gowans fine,
But we've wander'd mony a weary fit
Sin auld lang syne.

We twa hae paidl't in the burn
Frae morning sun till dine,
But seas between us braid hae roar'd
Sin auld lang syne.

And there's a hand, my trusty fiere,
And gie's a hand o' thine,
And we'll tak a right guid willie-waught
For auld lang syne!

And surely ye'll be your pint' stowp,
And surely I'll be mine,
And we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet
For auld lang syne!
“Auld Lang Syne”--The Cartoon

Thumbnail by Sansai87

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 1, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8287174

Photo: IN THE YEAR OF THE…

Thumbnail by Sansai87

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2011
4:33 PM

Post #8287279

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/01/opinion/01sacks.html?pagewanted=2&src=ISMR_AP_LI_MST_FB

I don't know if you guys will think this article is interesting ... I guess I can take Oliver Sacks in small doses, but once I tried to read a whole book and I got bogged down.

Nadine, I like the first cartoon - reminds me of my DH.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 1, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8287375

I adore Oliver Sacks. My dream gathering would be with Sacks, Freeman Dyson, Stephen Jay Gould, Joseph Campbell, Ann Richards, and Whoopi Goldberg. Let a psychiatrist analyze THAT lineup!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8287388

You don't think Whoopi would try to upstage everybody?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 1, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8287419

Might try, but everyone in that group would easily hold their own against her. LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8288779

Hey, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEBRA! One classy lady we are delighted to have on the forum...
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 2, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8288793

Thank you, Carrie. :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8288960

you're welcome! I used to have a lot of "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" cards that I could trot out at a moment's notice but that was several computers ago.

If (ahem) my birthday in MAY is forgotten, my very SCARY, SIGNIFICANT BIRTHDAY, I will say screw you NorthEast Forum and look on FaceBook!

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8289155

This message was edited Jan 2, 2011 8:32 PM

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8289161

Here's hoping they will find a cure for the common birthday within our lifetime.
"Happy Birthday" until then, Debra
Kay*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 2, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8289213

Thank you, Kay. :-)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2011
8:41 PM

Post #8289357

Happy Birthday again Debra, Tho now i better say Hope you had a happy birthday.
Everyone keep your voodoo chants for us in Arkansas. We've had some weird happenens around. Beebe 120 miles east of us had a bunch of dead red-winged blackbirds fall from the sky all over town, Than in Ozark 80 miles west of us a bunch of dead fish washed up on the banks of the Arkansas river. No one has a clue why but the powers that be will do autopsys on the critters. I'll let you know if they tell us.
I think it was either the Bell Witch or galactic alians.LOL
Carrie, Don't you dare leave us!!!!!! We'll come looking for you.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 2, 2011
9:38 PM

Post #8289398

Yeah, Carrie, and we know where you live. lol.
Maybe, I'd better talk some more to one of MK's more interesting relatives. A very old man who says the world will end next year.

Otianjou-bi Omedetou Gozaimasu!
Debra, that is “Happy Birthday” in Japanese. PJ and MK have been talking about learning a new language. A New Year’s resolution for the house. MK is a firm believer learning new skills keeps people sharper longer. (Now, I know where she got that idea. Thanks for the link, Carrie.) My vote is for Japanese. Then I could go to Manga/Anime conventions in Tokyo. Papa Jim was stationed in Okanawa for a few years so he is already a little familiar with it. I’ve already got textbooks on learning Japanese. But, Spanish will probably take the house vote. I guess Spanish WOULD be more practical.
I don’t know about Debra, but you were born in the Year of the Metal Ox, Carrie. (I'll draw you a pretty ox for your b'day.) I know because PJ will have his "significant" birthday this year too. That’s not so bad.. Mama Kay was born in the Year of the Earth Rat. :0) :-) I didn’t know if the humor in the last frame would slip passed older people or not. Japanese culture is enough of an influence on those my age that most of us are aware this is the Year of the Tiger and, in the lunar calendar, the new year (when the celestial animals change) usually falls in February. (Feb. 3, this year) I’m afraid, however, even those my age might not know the Celestial animals come in cycles like signs of the zodiac and that the Year of the Rabbit follows the Year of the Tiger. Anyway, I think there might be too much assumed knowledge for that cartoon to work outside of a place where knowledge of Asian culture can be assumed. I’ve been working on an article on rabbits and hares though so I have bunnies on the brain, and I just like drawing tigers. lol. ~Nadine~.

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2011
10:08 PM

Post #8289407

Nadene, There are quite a few people saying the world will end in 2012. Something about a Maya prediction. Since i'm 70, I can take it in stride. However some are talking about a world wide famine. I can live off my fat for a couple of years. LOL! Guess i don't take predictions too seriously.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 2, 2011
10:22 PM

Post #8289414

Yes, I remember when 2000 rolled in and they thought all the computers would crash and that would cause total economic chaos. The things happening there sure sound weird though.
Headache is easing up. Maybe, I can sleep now. Have a good night...uh...great day.
Hugs ~N~
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 3, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8289721

Be;ated happy birthday, Debra.

birthday hugs, katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2011
9:48 AM

Post #8290102

Nadine, an article on rabbits and hares? For whom, why, to what end? That would go perfectly on DG if only you were a DG writer :( and we are short of new articles ... I mean look at some of the crap (begging everyone's pardon) we've had recently, or are about to have. I'd love to write an article about Year of Tiger turning into Year of Rabbit, if I weren't so far behind (and didn't spend so much time jabbering to my pals - that's y'all. Right now I've got to light a few fires to get my perfect Epiphany article SCHEDULED FOR JANUARY 6!!! Otherwise it won't make much sense.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 3, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8290108

Thank you, Nadine. :-)

Thank you, Katie. :-)

Nadine, I was born January 2, 1957. What year was that?
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 3, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8291282

Debra, you were born in the Year of the Yang Fire Monkey. (Those place mat calendars in Chinese restaurants are fun, but probably misleading for you since you were born in January.)
The bunny article was just going to be for Amargia’s blog. I’ll send it your way when I’m finished and you can see if it is something you can adapt to a DG audience. (That way you’ll have more time to hang with us.) Right now, it is just fun facts about hares and rabbits in myth and modern media, the difference between a hare and a rabbit and ways to save your garden from them.
MK is trying an experiment this garden year. She planted giant red clover along all Amargia’s borders. I asked her why. I’ve kept rabbits as pets. Giant red clover is like the ultimate bunny candy. They can’t resist it. Her theory is they will be so focused on the easy-to-access clover; they will leave the harder to get lettuce and carrots alone. I guess we will see. Somehow, everyone got to talking about our favorite fictional rabbit and decided it would be a fun article idea. Of course, I thought it was a good idea. I was born in the Year of the Fire Rabbit. :-) ~Nadine~
P.S.: I don’t know if I’ll put it in the article, but I was curious. I even dug up the roots of the jackaloupe myth. lol.

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 4, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8292037

That's a good idea. We planned to give Amargia a real website this year, but I have a lot on my plate right now and that is a timely article. I don't know if I will have things set up by Feb. 3rd. I'll make sure there's a list of the books and websites she used for research tacked on, Carrie. She's working on some artwork for it right now.
I'm paining birdhouses to get them ready for the new season. I get mostly bluejays and wrens, but they are still fun to watch. There is a gorgeous pair of cardinals hanging around though.
Kay is burning and leveling today. I'm finding out that what seems level" when you are walking and what seems level when you're in a w/c are two different things.
Hope it doesn't get so cool there it hurts your citrus, Katie. Being able to pick an orange or lemon off your own tree must be nice. Possible here, but you are severely limited to type and it's still a bit risky. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2011
12:25 PM

Post #8292188

What happened to Shades of Green?
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 4, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8292628

Different Shades of Green was just on Google Blogspot. A freebie service if you have a Google account. It doesn't allow us to do all the things we want to do and it doesn't meld all that well with the computer access programs Kay uses.
Amargia is changing it's focus a little this year. The Foodstamps and other program keeps most economically challenged, physically disabled people fed. We want to focus more on helping them supplement their incomes. Even if it is something as simple as growing and selling fresh herbs to friends and acquaintances. The adaptive tech physically challenged people need to make life less challenging is often expensive and not always covered by insurance or rehab services. I would like to get more adaptive tech in the hands of more people. Whether it is effective hearing aids so an elderly person doesn't become isolated. A Braille labeler so a blind person can be more independent. Or, a threshold ramp so a w/c user doesn't have to endure a teeth rattling jar going in and out their door. There are so many things out there that would make people's lives easier, if they could find that little extra bit of money needed to buy them. (Jim)

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2011
7:37 PM

Post #8292873

And, Amargia will have a more regional focus. DSG gave me opportunities to do things like talk to a man in Africa about growing figs and a lady in Britain about Jerusalem artichokes. I loved that! But I’m sure there are things specific to growing figs in Africa I don’t know and I learned as much from the English lady about chokes, as I taught. My garden experience is limited to the humid parts of Zones 8-10. I probably wouldn’t recognize some plants in a Zone 5 garden. Amargia’s previous approach was too general and all-encompassing. I think you need to be a Master Gardener or something to do what I was trying to do. It has been a humbling experience. Jim and, at least, one shrink would tell you that is good. I need to learn I'm not superblindwoman. lol.
I will stick to scented plants, local wildflowers and garden edibles. Jim will describe his journey from walking gardener to wheelchair using gardener and local garden events. Nadine will write about her flesh-eating green pets (carnivorous plants spook me a little.), wild edibles and her furred and scaly friends outside. Cole will write about how to garden with only one arm, etc.
DD#2 is a special ed teacher. She told me once about the different styles of learning. I’m one of those who jumps in and tries things. A kinesthetic (active) learning style. My kind just backs off, figures out how it can be done better and goes at it again. May not be the most efficient way to learn things, but to me it is what clicks. My bet is that you have that efficient, analytic learning style, Carrie. I wish I could learn like that. My life would be simpler.
Debra, my GD says she gets a kick out of blowing your flowers up. LOL. Taking a section of picture up to maximum magnification on my Zoomtext program. (It goes up to about 30X, I think) It is like abstract art. Have you ever looked at something very ordinary under a microscope and discovered a new world? I guess it’s like that. Kay*
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 5, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8293411

I missed Melinda's sermon on learning styles, but I think this is what she was talking about. This site is about teaching English as a second language, but I guess the principles are the same whatever you are learning.
http://www.everythingesl.net/inservices/learningstyle.php
I'm going to Google that Bell Witch of yours, Vickie.
Another rainy day. ~Nadine~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2011
8:07 AM

Post #8293454

I don't know what style of learner, I am, Kay, because most of my learning was either done before we had styles or done on the sly. One of my church groups we split up into four groups by personality type: (1) let's just do it, do SOMETHING, even if it's not perfect, (2) let's make sure all of us are feeling ok about what we decide to do (3) let's do it but let's make sure all the I's are dotted and all the T's crossed - we don't want to forget anything ... I forget what the fourth group was, but I was definitely in the first group.

Kay, I remember being amazed at the beauty of BACTERIA stained and blown up! Maybe it was the colors of the stain (turquoise and purple, or blue and darker blue) but I would have worn clothing prinnted with that pattern.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 5, 2011
11:10 AM

Post #8293784

My teacher training classes and tutor training didn't mention those last two styles, but both did cover a lot about the first four. I'm mostly visual with some tactile. My auditory learning sucks so I'm not good at languages or music. Most people tend to unconsciously express themselves in context with their strongest learning style. If you use "I see" a lot, you are probably most strong in visual learning. If it's "I hear you" a lot, then you are probably most strong in auditory learning style.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 5, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8294600

Nadine is very definitely visual. I've learned to tack up notes for her instead of just telling her things. You can tell her something 3 times and she may still forget, but she can see something once and retain it. I don't know what my learning style would be. Not visual, that is for sure. I had a condition something like dyslexia when I was young. It can still give me trouble when I'm tired or stressed out. From the beginning, I liked the audio books Kay receives from the National Library Service and Recordings for the Blind. It was great for me when commercial audio books that could be downloaded became available. Now, I "read" a lot. The only downside is this type of reading doesn't do much to improve my lousy spelling. I would be lost without computers and spellcheck features. (Jim)
Misspelled "dyslexia". lol.

This message was edited Jan 5, 2011 9:21 PM
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2011
12:24 AM

Post #8296609

I'm about 50/50 with visual and tactile.Reading is my favorite.But i think i have to touch and feel too. Hearing goes in one ear and out the other,if it even goes in the ear at all.but i still love background noise.
Carrie,I loved micro biology and those stained bugs are beautiful. Did you ever see those fractal patterns that were so popular for awhile. Those really blew my mind with beauty.The first time i saw one, was in a hospital. A lab tech was playing around with one. I sat down with a complete stranger while he explained them to me.I was totally awed.Which goes to show you can find beauty in the most unexpected places even in math.
Jim, i used to spell ok but after i had a stroke i can't spell anything.No one will play scrabble with me anymore.
I've always had a terrible time explaining anything. I suspect it's because i did'nt communicate much when i was little. The thoughts are there but somehow they don't get relayed.
Carrie, I'm definately in the fourth group.Thats gotta be the "lets do it and hope for the whatever" group.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 7, 2011
9:49 AM

Post #8297301

I have a hard time following audio books unless I’m really, REALLY interested in the subject matter. MK has been trying to get me to read more widely and read more American classics, but I wasn’t able to get through the audio version of “Grapes of Wrath.” I kept falling asleep. The book isn’t that boring. I will get it from the library and finish reading it in print.
Carrie, from what I’ve observed and from the way you describe yourself in your writer’s profile. I would guess you and MK have a similar learning/teaching style. A combination of kinetic and analytical. (Kay does say “I think” all the time.) Even what you wrote about getting people to go along with your schemes and learning to be humble as you age is very familiar to me. Mama Kay has simply been a slower learner when it comes to that last part. lol. She would be hard to live with, if she didn’t have a sense of humor about herself. She has a t-shirt that says: “People who think they know everything are particularly irritating to those of us who do.”
Vickie, I thought the Bell Witch sounded familiar. I read all of Kathryn Tucker Windham’s books when I was young. She wrote about the Bell Witch. Some of Windham’s family lives here so all of her books were in our little library. I especially had fun reading a collection of her Alabama ghost stories while sitting in the library reading room because it was about the ghost that supposedly haunts that very place. It was a women’s college long ago.) I think that was when history stopped being a boring subject to me. I volunteered there as a teenager keeping up the library’s computers and shelving books. No ghostly encounters, but they told me she doesn’t make mischief for you if she likes you. :-) There are two fairly recent movies made about the Bell Witch hauntings. I’m going to find out if either is available from NetFlicks. ~Nadine~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8299285

We bought a book about her at the cave but DD has it somewhere.I'm a rock theif. and had picked up a rock from the cave to take home.DD insisted i put it back before we left.I put it up on a ledge.
When we got to a tourist center just before we intered NC. We got out of the car and a green limb on a tree broke right in front of us with a loud crack. A sun shiny calm
day.no wind.We both spooked and blamed it on the witch.
TN history recognises her tho not as the movies portray her.
It's fun to think about.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8299361

As Debra pointed out in one of the other Accessible threads, you always find some sort of insecurity when you scratch the surface of people who seem arrogant or seem to have a sense of superiority. Over the years, you become better at not taking things personally when someone reacts badly to you. You begin to realize it was probably not you per say that triggered the response from them. It is more likely something said or done has roused one of their personal psychological demons from sleep. (EVERYBODY has those.) The tough part is not to let other people’s roused personal demons wake your own up.) If you live long enough and have enough emotional courage to be honest with yourself, you learn to discern between the psychological gremlin you’ve been stuck with and what is really you. If you survive that, you might go on to apply what you’ve learned about yourself to other people. You find you are able to discern when it is someone else’s emotional demon you are dealing with or whether that is the way that person really is. The next step is to learn how to snare a loosened PD before it does anyone damage. Hand it back to the person it came from and give that person a lesson on the care, feeding and management of PDs. Maybe, we could pull all that off if we lived to be the age of Methuselah.
People questioning my intelligence is a chink in my emotional armour. I'm confident about my innate intelligence, but my formal education was not that good and I’ve had to deal on a regular basis with those who had rather impressive formal credentials. I had a man tell me once, up front the day he was hired, he didn’t think I was qualified for the job I was doing and he intended to have my position within six months. He did have it within the time he said he would, and, completely destroyed the company within a year. No, I didn’t have a degree in Business Administration. However, I did know better than to try to cut our construction material cost by using ungalvenized nails to construct a beach house. (Worse, the beach house was painted white and belonged to an attorney. Ungalvenized steel rust and “bleeds” quickly in damp, salt air and that bleeding is extremely obvious against a white background. The lawyer had a very well justified law suit.
Like Katie said elsewhere. Knowing intellectually what you should do is good. But, convincing your emotional self to do what your intellect says is not so easy. That is probably a good thing. Logic and intellect are not always trustworthy. There will always be things you don’t know. Wasn’t it Socrates who wrote, “Wisest is he who knows he knows not?”
Vickie, I tend to avoid movies made from books I enjoyed. The movies are usually a disappointment. The Lord of the Rings trilogy wasn’t too bad; they left out some of my favorite parts of the books though. I loved the story of the Ents and the Ent-wives. Much of that wasn’t in the movie. Kay*

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 9, 2011
11:21 AM

Post #8300711

Coleus cuttings in the windowsill.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8300811

:( All my cuttings dried up. The heat in my office is way too high (it's a tiny room with a normal size radiator) and I had surrendered it to my step-son then to painters and then to the French exchange student. All my careful cuttings created crispy critters. But Debra, yours are very, very pretty.

Kay, I knew how the nail story was going to turn out before it was over! That person didn't have the sense he was born with. (If any.)
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 9, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8301509

Looks good, Debra. I like the one with the pink-center, dark green band and lighter green border.
I lost mine this year too, Carrie. I think I will go back to cutting the plants back in late fall and bringing the whole plant inside for the winter. I guess I will need to look for types that naturally stay smaller. I stopped bringing the whole plant in because they can get the size of shrubs here in a growing season. At least, I will still have the species type that grow from seed this spring.
High was 39 degrees today. Sleet expected tonight. Shoot, if we are going to start having winters like this, I might as well move back north. :-) (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2011
9:39 PM

Post #8301750

Jim, you and i are having the same kind of weather, except i thought you were in the high 20,s like me. It is snowing to beat the band.
Kay, I had too much on my plate when i was little and it left big scars.But i do good most of the time.Some things i could figure out and forgive but others had to be pure evil meaness and that is harder.
I also had my husband and his family to lead me out of the wilderness. They had more influence over my life than anything else.
I need to look at flower catalogs tomorrow, and forget the snow. Guess it'll be fun for a day but i'm looking forward to spring. LOL I put up Easter window clings today.My bunnies and baby ducks will be looking out at snow tomorrow.
I'll have to call my nephew tomorrow to see how he fared in the snow. All the E Texas folks are hibernating.
Jim, Do you have a good place to start your seeds?
Carrie, The old southern saying is "He did'nt have the sense God gave a goose."LOL
Debra, you do good with ALL your planting indevers(SP)
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8302387

Jim, I don't have space in my house for pots of coleus and other tender annuals - I barely have space for myself and DH, DD#2. Almost cheaper just to plan to buy new ones every year because that's what I end up doing in July, when a lot of coleus season is over.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2011
12:32 AM

Post #8303887

Carrie, I've got to ask! What do you do in the spring when everything is blah? Thats when i go nuts for growing anything. Do you have spring flowers?
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 11, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8304076

Obviously, still got bunnies on the brain. The homeless Different Shades of Green article is in your Dmail, Carrie. Wonder what little animal will take up residence between my ears next? :-)
Vickie, my grandmother said "ain't got the sense God gave a billy goat. lol. Nadine

Thumbnail by Sansai87

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8305150

Vickie,
we use Amaryllis and forced crocus and catalogs AND Daves Garden! I bought a pot of crocus today at the grocery store.
trying to get rid of all the extra space

This message was edited Jan 11, 2011 9:53 PM
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 11, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8305599

I have sometimes wondered what real-life animals think when they encounter life-like garden ornaments made in their images. I must admit that a possible case of unrequited love never occurred to me. :-)
Vickie, Kay has the mini-greenhouse I made from scrap material stuffed full of winter-sown things. It is an unheated greenhouse so I guess it still qualifies as winter sown. I won't plant my coleus seeds until late March. Looking forward to it! I'm ready for this winter to be over.
We're short on space as well, Carrie. The house is a jungle during the winter. Aftre my fuss in past years about needing a machete to cut my way through the foliage, nursing coleus plants through inside would not go unremarked I am sure. They would have to be hard-to-find cultivars to rate that treatment. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8305701

DD is cleaning her room - changing the sheets and sweeping and EVERYTHING. You'd think she'd do some of that in the rest of the house someday.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 12, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8306417

Mebbe, Carrie, but this is a good start. :-)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2011
1:07 AM

Post #8307879

Carrie,That should have been in the I'm thankful thread. If your DD is like my DD,s...Don't count on it.However when you reach 80,They may get you a housekeeper at your expense. LOL
Still snowed in. My cats are getting cabin fever. ALL ARE VERY VOCAL ABOUT IT. I am mostly sleeping. Depression is getting to me again.
Living room is semi-clean.
Have a great day good friends.
Vickie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 13, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8308112

Hi just wrote a long post, then hit a wrong button and lost it. I hate it when that happens.

Vickie - keep posting. Don't hide out. That is an order.

I've got miscl. pains all over. I may just go back to bed. Or when Tony gets here maybe we can go to the dump and look for tires. We're getting to where we need them for paths and fences in the arroyo.

hugs, katie
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 13, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8308622

When I clean up without being told to do so, MK and PJ start talking about wehre "the pod" might be hidden. A reference to some old movie called "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." Never seen it. Don't think I want to. It sounds almost as bad as "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" or "Night of the Lepus." And, people say MY generation is odd. lol.
I second what Katie said, Vickie. With Depression, it's like you collapse inward, if you don't keep pushing outward.
Hugs,
~Nadine~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8310316

PUSH we gotta push or we will collapse! I know I will. I'm gonna write an article called "If the earth is getting warmer, why is it so cold here?" Could apply to a lot of places ... everywhere in the US. I heard Hawaii is the only state with no snow.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2011
10:24 PM

Post #8311311

I'm not hiding out. Here i'm am! I am fighting it. Going to town today helped alot too. We've still got snow but it's all melted in town. Thanks for the "Push"
Nadine, That was a good movie.
My very favorite old scary movie was The Day The Earth Stood Still. Think they recently made a remake of it.
Carrie, You will have to put in your article,The weather theory that a butterfly flapping its wings in South America can ultimately make it rain in Kansas.
We had a ring around the moon tonight. I think it's supposed to mean it's going to rain. Which could be, since it's light shining off ice crystals.
night all
Vickie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 15, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8311581

"The Stepfather" was a really scary movie. Probably twenty-five years old, or so. Doesn't seem so "old time" to me now.

Stay up and involved, Vickie.

hugs, katie
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 18, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8318186

Kb, I’ve only seen the 2009 re-make, but that one creeped me out. Too believable. I’ll stick with ghost, vampires and werewolves.

This week we celebrate the anniversary of one of civilizations greatest advances. The patent for the first flush toilet was awarded this week in 1861 to Mr. Thomas Crapper. I think we should observe a moment of silence for the practical genius of Mr. Crapper who did so much to improve everyone’s quality of life. He is my Unsung Hero of the Week.

The genesis of this week’s drawing was seeing some small animals (too foggy to say exactly what kind of animals) poking thru the damp ashes of the embankment we burned off. I began to imagine what they’’ might have been hoping to find since most animals avoid char, I have a wild imagination. .

Dogbane: Nutt-ade

Thumbnail by Sansai87

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8318203

Here's to Mr. Crapper!!!
I heard today on CNN that Alabama is the main state for catfish production. Definately hats off to Alabama. But alas China has started incroaching on your catfish sales. So buy Alabama. I have to add the FDA does not inspect the Chinese catfish like they do American catfish.
Have you hugged a catfish today?
I KNOW!! I've lost it!! LOL
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 18, 2011
8:34 PM

Post #8318232

Welcome to the club, Vickie, I've lost it too. I hope I don't find it again, this is kind of fun.

I noticed earlier that I couldn't read the cartoon I posted. So adjusted it so it should be readable now.

Thumbnail by Sansai87

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8318803

oh, I get it... I spend so much time inside that I really don't notice things like that. I guess I'm not that observant - I'm learning to be more observant of people. If I saw them more often I would be more observant of animals, I think. There aren't too many in my bedroom.

My #1 A+ PCA got a $50 ticket for 'obstructing snow removal' while she was parked across the street from my house.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8320146

Carrie, Are you still having a parking war with the city? LOL
I googled the lighter side of global warming and could'nt find a thing. Can you come up with one. There has to be something funny about Global change and our reactions to it.
It just started snowing heavily, So my mountain is in an ice age. 3to5 inches predicted. I have plenty of pizza,soup fixens, candles and heat. Now i want to go for a walk in the snow tomorrow...Dumb idea!
I spent the night traveling the web last night.Pain in my shoulder and could'nt sleep.
Found some neat sites showing the codes for all kinds of html colors. A hillbilly kitchen website and a native American website made by them for them. Am going back to both those sites tomorrow.Saw a couple of receipes for fried catails, which might be handy to know. Did'nt see any Kudzu receipes and know i've seen some somewhere.That stuff is so plentiful just have to try it.
GOOD MORNING ALL. goodnight for me.
Vickie
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 20, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8320796

A ticket for obstructing snow removal? That just sounds like a way for a city to get more revenues.
After you lock your cats out of the room, Vickie, Google "cats in weightless conditions", "cats in zero gravity" or "space cats." There are some videos of cats in space experiments. It will become hilariously obvious why dogs were chosen for space exploration. Those poor, confused kitties!. Although, if you look carefully, you'll see one that was getting the hang of it. I'm off to check out Hillbilly cooking. ~N~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8320809

Good afternoon/morning, Vickie!

I think the lighter side is that we dumb humans are stuck on the dumb name when it's really Global Climate Change, and nobody knows if it's happening by the eon or by the year or by the decade.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 20, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8321479

The debates in Kay's Analog magazine sound like they are mostly about whether climate changes are part of a natural cycle or a human created problem. (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2011
2:23 PM

Post #8322841

LOL Jim, I'd have to ride the fence and say both.It's natural but we're just speeding things up a little.Who knows we may have prevented another sudden ice
age with our CO2. LOL
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 23, 2011

Post #8326227

For everyone needing a dose of "Spring is coming, it really, truly is!"

Got out around Noon before the winds shifted. Took these photos of whats blooming and greening away.

Scabiosa Butterfly Blue

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 23, 2011

Post #8326230

Graham Thomas in bud (one little bitty one, you can just see it.)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 23, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8326232

"Green Spice" Coral Bells

Like the burgundy edges it gets in cold weather. In Spring, it is clean green and white.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 23, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8326233

Pistache Coral Bells

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 23, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8326237

Dutch Iris just keep on trucking

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8326598

My coral bells die down for the winter. It was nice to see yours.
Not a sign of roses either.
I need to go look everyday for signs of my spring flowers to show themselves.I always forget just what i have untill they come up. I have the wild dwarf iris. Dutch iris wont be up for awhile.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 24, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8328275

I can already see coral bells are going to become a new favorite. Interesting foliage that is evergreen (here, anyway) Can't beat that! Variegated euonymus, dwarf red barberry and variegated privet are the only interesting things in my little ornamental foliage garden after all this cold.
When Kay orders her 'Firefly' from Bluestone, I think I'll find an interesting foliage type for myself. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8331738

I own Firefly - do you want me to send you some?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2011
12:55 PM

Post #8331775

Darn, just tried to post and it went somewhere in the ether. Anyway, on Sat. night DH decided we should go to Atlanta to see his newest grandson (which you can do if you work for an airline). The 4 DGC in Utah call me Carrie (it would be "too confusing" to call me anything else?) although I've known them since before their parents were married and way before they were a twinkle in anyone's eye. So with this newest one, I get to be Grammy!!!

Thumbnail by carrielamont

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 26, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8332151

“Grammy”, I guess you get that grandparent name when you give an award winning grandma performance. I finally got Kay’s GC’s to stop calling me “Pipi” (the masculine of Kay’s “Mimi”.) Now, they call me “Grumpa”. I consider that an improvement. :-)
What intense eyes that little guy has.
The “Firefly” would be great, if you can manage it, Carrie. It won’t save me money, of course. Knowing Kay, she will just find something else to buy. Have you ever detected a noticeable scent? (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8332174

No on the scent, but it's too far down (on the ground) and I'm up here (in the chair). And it would be many months before I could even FIND it, it's buried under 5 ft of snow at the moment. You'd get it much more quickly from Bluestone, where they have it in a greenhouse. But I'm happy to do it, in exchange for that huge purple thing with no flowers you sent me last year!! I will say this, it's way more slow-growing than the other Heucheras I have, which are very vigorous. Naturally I can't remember their names.

I figure he will be used to calling me Grammy first and then wonder why there is an award named after me. No, he won't wonder, it will be clear once he thinks about me!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2011
11:16 PM

Post #8334460

Carrie, You are a very good looking YOUNG woman. And a handsome baby. I like Grammy. I was Mamaw.
The person that gives computer classes canceled the classes last month cause of weather. They are resceduled for next week. Of course snow predicted for then too. LOL
I want a pink hydrangia from Bluestone. I'd better get busy and order it before they sell out.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8337236

Sounds lovely, Vickie! Will it be the kind where the pH has to be just so, and doesn't the sale end tomorrow (1/31)?

Vickie, when I had horrible disgusting acne in high school, my mother said "someday you'll be glad you'll have oily skin." And of course that's not my natural hair color. But thank you. ^_^
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 29, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8337578

Spring is sprunging. Thought we dug up everything in this section preparing for the new tier planters. We missed a few. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 29, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8337582

Pansies behind the kitchen sink (box store clearance). Waiting until next weekend to plant. Supposed to be in the mid-teens for overnight lows by Wednesday/Thursday. Since it was 75 again today, the poor things would be all cattywhampus if tried to plant now.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2011
10:58 PM

Post #8338095

Now Debra, That is whapejawed not catywampus. ROFLOL
I don't think it needs a special ph. It's a hybrid oakleaf.Not sure about salesprice. Actually did'nt know it was on sale. I have to wait till there is money in the bank.
It was 70* today. So 2 dogs and a black cat went with me for a walk in the woods.The dogs get bored at my walking pace and disappear but Miss Kitty stayed right with me. Think she,s ready to rest whenever i am. It was beautiful out and i wanted to go again tomorrow but rain and cold is due in tonight.Will probably have to recoup tomorrow anyway.
Is gas still rising your way? It's $3.00 here now. That means i pay $45 to fill my tank.I get 20 MPG If this is too depessing to talk about,tell me.
I may have to break down and get some pansys next fall. No crocus leaves yet. There is no green anywhere except pine and cedar.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8338677

Where did katie talk about the birds gathering to fly north?

you would have to dig through several feet if snow to find the ground to see if there are any sprouts yet!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 30, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8338686

I think the birds gather around my house because I have lots of trees and shade cloth so there is more protection from the hawks than in most places here. Also, they get to eat the rice out of the food that the dogs didn't finish.

kb

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8338699

May I quote you, Katie dear?

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8338763

When does warm weather arrive in earnest in your part of the world, Carrie? Is May a safe bet?
I've always thought of Fat Tuesday as the official beginning of Spring around here. That falls on March 8th in 2011. I'm not confident about that this year though.
I've lost many marginal plants to the temperature yo-yo. I don't think I will be replacing any of them, except for lemon grass and rosella. I use enough of those in the kitchen to make it worthwhile. Hopefully, I can find plants that can stand up to more erratic weather.
Jim and Nadi are both slogging through a dark period. Hopefully, Spring and their enthusiasm for the new plans will pull them out of their funk soon. Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8339141

I'd say June - I've put coleus out in May and lost them. Of course sweet peas and nasturtiums are sometimes blooming by then, and impatiens are fine in May, and you HAVE to buy lobelia (the little blue ones) by May or they're all sold out. But I'm still wearing a sweater in May. But I'm weird. As you'all know!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8341733

Carrie, You're not weird. You just march to the beat of a different drummer like me.LOL Carrie, The way things are looking you may not see ground till July.
I'm dreading to see ice on tree branches.Tho weathermen are saying the last icestorm took down all weak branches. We'll see.
Warm hugs to Jim and Nadine.You too.
Vickie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 1, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8342351

Ice, snow, 40-mile-an-hour blowing wind. DFW Airport cant clear runways or even de-ice planes, mass transit rail cant run on the tracks, multi-car accidents, schools and businesses closed. I'm all snug and warm, drinking coffee, listening to the news, texting my staff to stay home...and watching these nutty dogs intentionally slip and slide on the back yard ice. :-) Willie (black Schnauzer mix) made laps around the perimeter like he was competing at the US Nationals. Russell (Lhasa mix) made crazy eights and bounced up and down a couple of times. At nine years old, too! He NEVER does that unless he reallyreallyreally wants a treat. LOL Guess they like it.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2011
10:28 AM

Post #8342930

DFW closed? Hunh. That's not good. JetBlue Boston closed around noon today.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 1, 2011
1:37 PM

Post #8343418

Well, Carrie, at least you’ll get to spend more time with your DH. When he isn’t shoveling snow, that is.
The cool weather brings out the playful puppy in old Tater-dog too. (Of course, I have to dose her up with her joint medication or take her to the vet for a cortisone shot afterwards.) She has the double-coat typical of Labradors so cold doesn’t faze her much.
Fenny, on the other hand is turned into a canine version of Linus by cold weather. She drags her little blue blanket everywhere she goes. She’s such a big baby. She tries to crawl into someone’s lap when there is thunder or lightning. People who don’t know her are terrified of her. She looks and sounds ferocious. It is funny. People think old Tater-dog is adorable and harmless. It is Tate who is truly fierce and far more likely to bite. It isn’t so much that Tate is aggressive, just extremely protective.
Severe thunder storms on the way which means we are likely to lose power for a while. Need to get the generator set up just in case. Stay warm, everyone. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8345093

Raining and snowing here.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 2, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8345950

I’ve already got a case of cabin fever and there will be two more days of rain at the very least. I can’t set up my bee hive so I’m reading a Sherlock Holmes mystery called “The Language of Bees.”
Papa Jim introduced me to “Little Shop of Horrors” today. Now I understand why he insists on calling my VFT “Audrey” when I’ve told him a hundred times the plant’s name is “Chomper” after the dinosaur in “The Land Before Time.”) Carnivous plants just seem to NEED names. Chomper is a bit demanding, but not about food.

Thumbnail by Sansai87

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 2, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8345957

This is a sketch I did. I was really bored.

Thumbnail by Sansai87

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8346003

All right! A picture of the Loch Ness Monster.
There's alot of boredom going around.
Fenny is a sweety.
I've got to go finish making out bill payments.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 3, 2011
1:23 PM

Post #8347081

Carrie, I enjoyed your article posted today. It reminded me of a funny story my sister tells.
When she switched out a stressful job as administrator of several health care facilities in south Florida and took the reins of a single, small hospital in Vermont, she thought it would be a walk in the park. She decided to illustrate her warm, hands-on, people-oriented administrative style to her new staff at an early morning business meeting by having a traditional southern pancake breakfast. She made sure there were plenty of topping choices. There were jams, jellies, honey, cane juice, even a bottle of low-cal Aunt Jemima. But, she forgot about maple syrup. She laughs that she is lucky not to have been run out of Vermont. She says her Boston-native husband saved her job when he realized her mistake and rushed to the hospital with a flask of “Northern Comfort” in the nick of time. lol.
Everyone here thinks it is an odd weather day. 41 degrees is both the high and the low. Well, we WERE wishing the temperature would stabilize. Just no pleasin’ some folks. :-)
I had better go do something to improve Jim's mood. He's been paying bills, doing our taxes and growling like a bear with a thorn in its paw. Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8347089

Why isn't there a Loch Lomond monster? Lomond and Lamont are derivatives of each other--in Scotland it's pronounced LAMBunt whereas we pronounce it laMONT. So we have our own tartan and everything, our own song (The Campbells Are Coming, hurrah, hurrah, and they routed us out of Scotland), our own Loch (Bonnie Loch Lomond, hurrah, hurrah), why can't we have our own monster? Equal rights for Scots, at least for people with a drop of Scottish blood and a good story!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2011
1:58 PM

Post #8348047

Thank you, Kay, and I would rather have had my pancakes DRY! But mostly because I can't partake of diet stuff--whatever they put in it makes me sick to my stomach.

Here's my story: when I was a kid we went to this very nice dentist, and nothing hurt that much, I don't know how he did it, but i don't remember dentist visits as being painful (and I DID have a lot of cavities).

The only horrible thing about going to the dentist was at the end they would paint your teeth with this DISGUSTING fluoride stuff in some nauseating flavor, and you couldn't eat or drink for 30 min. or something and I would be SO sick to my stomach, not actually vomiting but queasy. So I always figured it was something to do with fluoride (which makes no sense when I think about it now because I drink fluoridated water without any problem, this was just a visceral I HATE FLUORIDE kinda thing).

Always when I had my teeth cleaned, even as an adult (which was not frequent), if they did the fluoride it was the sweet artificially flavored crap and I would get sick afterward .FINALLY as a gift one year, my mother sent me to her dentist. At the end when they were going to paint the fluoride on I said "here we go; this always makes me sick. What flavor is it, strawberry banana?" And they said it wasn't flavored or sweetened at all and some people found it a little tart, or salty, or something. So I prepared for that awful seasick feeling and I felt FINE. It just tasted neutral, like ... not like anything. Like egg white, or iceberg lettuce, the way they lacks a strong flavor, not like something I needed to get out of my body ASAP!

And I can't drink diet soda or anything like that either, so I figure that all those years ago i was reacting to the SACCHARINE, not the fluoride!!! The only artificial sweetener I can stand to date is stevia - the plant, not the product. I eat very little sugar as it is, so I'm not too worried. But why saccharine AND aspartame AND whatever else they'll invent next, I don't know.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 3, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8352301

Carrie, EVERYONE should have their own monster! It is like having a signature fragrance or color. Do you know what the Lamont monster looks like?
The Irish have St. Patrick’s Day. Scots should demand equal rights. I think we should have a St. Angus’s Day or something. We would have to create an appropriate mythology for St. Angus that could compete with St. Patty. Do you think it could have been St. Angus who drove all the rabid kangaroos out of Scotland? That sounds like something St. Angus would do. Obviously, he was just as successful at evicting those mad kangaroos, as Patty was getting those snakes out of Ireland.
I can already imagine it. On St. Angus Day people will wear depictions of the Scottish thistle (or the real thing, if they are hard-core.) No one will have to worry how many leaves it has and I think it has far more character than that old shamrock. We will let everyone be of Scottish descent on St. Angus Day, just the way everyone has a little Irish blood on March 17th. They will have to wear plaid to avoid being pinched. PJ says February 30th sounds like the perfect date. I was thinking April 1st. Mama Kay says a holiday abbreviated SAD should logically come in the dark days of winter.
I dragged out the sewing machine and have started making plush toys from scrap material which is how my mind turned to monsters. I’m trying to come up with inexpensive Valentine’s Day gifts for little boys in the gruesome stage. I’m told they must be “good monsters” that are cool looking enough to share your bed with, but scary enough to keep away the “bad monsters” that live in the closet and under the bed. ~Nadine~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8352419

Nadene, Why not a good ole Scottish monster dragon? Made of plaid of course. No, plaid is too hard to match up. So just a little plaid patch somewhere.
Well of course Jim would say Feb.30th. LOL
Now what day could the French claim. St Joan of Arc day? or Bastelle day?
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 3, 2011
10:19 PM

Post #8352538

Dragon wearing a kilt?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 4, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8353139

Fer shure.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2011

Post #8354226

My ex-husband used to tell a joke about a fellow who was half-Scot and half-Irish, The Irish half wanted a drink but the Scots half wouldn't pay for it. Ha. Ha.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 4, 2011
9:29 PM

Post #8354563

Double duh-h-h, I should have researched it first! There REALLY is a St. Angus! I thought I was making him up. Angus
was simply the most Scottish name I could think of. That will teach me! St. Angus MacNisse feast day is Sept. 3rd and, according to legend, he was baptized by St. Patrick. That would definitely not work for our purposes. If we are going for the real deal, St. Andrew is the patron saint of Scotland. His feast day is Nov. 30. We will just have to get people, other than devout Catholics, to celebrate St. Andres's Day. I wonder how St. Patrick's Day went from one of many saint's feast days, remembered only by devout Irish Catholics, to a nationally recognized celebration of American Irishness?
Vickie, can I be French on St. Joan's Day? (Officially, May 30, BTW) That is the one saint I actually do know something about. I even read a time-travel story not too long ago about a feminist who went back through time to save Joan. She didn't succeed, but the villains got what was coming to them. It was a good story.
~Nadine~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8355641

Och aye, St. Andrew!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8363705

I had written a long reply but it got deleted somewhere along the way. Oh well on to better things.
I came across a 1991 Readers Digest. Came cross some goodies. Here's one for Debra.
Regional Wisdom

On a visit to East Texas, I planned a day of fishing on Lake Livingston and stopped at a weather worn bait shop. A lanky, white bearded Texan clad in denims and cowboy hat waited on me. As he was getting the 50 cents worth of worms i'd ordered,I began to worry I might not have enough bait. "How many worms do i get for 50 cents?" I asked.
I'll do right by you, son. He drawled. Lifes too short to be counting worms.-by J Rutledge

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2011
10:42 AM

Post #8364518

LOL life is DEFINITELY too short to be counting worms!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2011
10:31 PM

Post #8367517

Come to think of it, Counting worms in a fishing factory might be a good job if you could get it. LOL
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 14, 2011
10:30 PM

Post #8372817

Happy late Valentines or Singles Awareness Day everybody

Thumbnail by Sansai87

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2011
12:56 AM

Post #8372841

Hope all had a good day. Walmart did. I went to get some yarn after the doctors visit.It took 30 minutes to get 1/2 mile from the parking lot.
53 years ago today DH and i were married at Fort Devens Mass. Guess i miss him today.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 15, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8373249

Vickie, of course you are going to miss him. Something wrong if you didn't. :-) Here is an anniversary flower for you. Struggled and drooped through all the snow, ice, and below freezing temperatures. But perked right back up with just a little sunshine.

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2011
10:18 PM

Post #8374510

Love that little pansy. She's a tough little booger. Got to be a moral to that picture somewhere.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8378020

Happy Anniversary, Vickie! Happy Singles Awareness Day, Nadine! I just wanted to mention that in yesterday's article (by moi) I mentioned katie and Jim (by DG name) and I realize I should have asked first. I'm sorry; I hope nobody minded.

I've passed my annual (some years) physical, a gyn exam and a Medicaid reevaluation to see if I still need PCAs all with flying colors. DH did not die at his stress test but his PCP told him to lose 70 lbs! 70 lbs lighter he'd be a skeleton! He said I haven't been that weight since I was eleven years old... Oh well. It's a long hard road/row to hoe.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

February 17, 2011
7:37 PM

Post #8378204

I've had the flu so I missed it but it's ok, if I'm the katie you meant.

kb
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2011
9:12 PM

Post #8378331

Carrie, I have the opposite problem. You did'nt mention ME.
I'm the brillent young savy granny goon.LOL
Congrats on the good report. the American Health Care is on a lose weight fad right now as if it will cure all ills. The next 10 years will probably be a you gotta gain weight fad. Eat your veggies and don't worry about it.LOL
Katie, The flue bug is in Okla right now and i hope it stays there. Drink your orange juice and don't get a secondary infection.
Vickie
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 17, 2011
9:14 PM

Post #8378332

No problem here, Carrie. It was a fun read. I especially liked the dogwood pictures.
Temps are in the mid-70's here during the day. Kay has been sowing furiously. I swear, if she keeps planting at this rate. we are going to have enough vegetables to supply the county. I mean I can understand the carrots and spinach and sweet peas. We can freeze and can the extra, but what are we going to do with all the lettuce she is planting? Feed an army of rabbits?
Sometimes I think a person's age is the number doctors really base their weight recommendations on. Kay complains when the doctor gives her a hard time about a few extra pounds, but doesn't say anything to Nadi or I about our weight. (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2011
9:45 PM

Post #8378354

LOL Jim. It had better be a skinny doctor that mentions my weight.How many skinny doctors do you know? ROFLO
Kay plans on everyone eating a lot of salads this year. I love raw sweet peas.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2011
9:11 PM

Post #8380012

I foresee lots and lots of BLTs.
My GP is a reasonable (and well-padded) man, but the bone and joint specialist came out of sports medicine. Gr-r-r-r!
Yes, I'm sure the stress on my knees would not be so great if I weighed 145 lbs. That would make me a size 6. Look in any clothes catalog for tall women and see how many things you see in a size 6. There is a good reason for that. A 6' woman wearing a size 6 is not a pleasant sight. Been there. Done that.
Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2011
11:07 PM

Post #8380068

My eldest DD is a size 11 and an alcoholic and too thin. A size 6 must be very thin.
Kay, Tell your "sports" doctor
You have dreams of being a linebacker.LOL The Granny Goons could use a linebacker or two or three.
Having said that, At 70 i'm not going to worry about my weight. I take medical advice with a grain of salt at this age also.
Glad you took a break from planting.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8381403

DH's new MD is a tall thin masculine woman! But he really is unhealthy, he has heart pain and NEVER eats vegetables or fish and has swollen feet every night and has arthritis in every single joint so right there, losing some weight would make his life less painful. His blood work wasn't great either.

I heard Marilyn Monroe was a size 14!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 19, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8381467

And let's not forget Mae West. :-)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2011
1:22 AM

Post #8381826

Yeah! Thin was not the in thing untill The model "Twiggy"
(an apt name) came along.
I was a size 12 and that was considered normal.
LOL Carrie, Does your DH come from the south? Your description sounds Southern man to me. No Jim, you don,t count. You're from Penn. Wonder if meat eating is a survival thing. If man loved only veggies they never would have hunted. LOL
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 20, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8383409

Yeah, Mae West!!! When PJ was hunting for interesting quotes, the ones that made me laugh were from Mae West.
I would be thrilled to be a size 12. The women in classic statuary and those
painted by the Dutch master certainly weren't thin. My BF calls me "Rubenesque." lol. He does have his moments, but I'm not interested in getting married at this point in my life.
Carrie, did your DH get the pain meds he needed? It can be rough when everyone in the house is in pain. ~Nadine~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8384862

Yes, but they knock him out so he sleeps all the time. ;( He needs a smaller dose but they're closed today.

I read an interesting article once about how the history of art's idea of woman's beauty corresponds to anthropology - I don't know if that's what it is - but anyway this theory was that to begin with, the big question was whether a woman was fertile and would be able to conceive, for which she just needed to be healthy and of normal weight. Next she needed to be able to carry a pregnancy, so say in the Middle Ages, the stomach was more emphasized. Finally more live births were occurring, so people became more interested in breasts, indicating an ability to suckle the kid once it survives being born. So art then focuses on breasts. I think Ruben's women ALL look terribly fertile, say compared with some of the earlier ladies. Some even propose that after fertility and infant survival are taken care of, people preferred women with slimmer hips indicating that they could earn a living, but I think that last part is a little far fetched.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8385535

hmmmmm, Thats something to think about for awhile. Wonder if i could google it. China is overcrowded and has a limit of one child per couple. Supposedly.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 21, 2011
9:07 PM

Post #8385634

I sure hope the Chinese have also started programs impressing the value of women along with that one child per couple thing. In a culture where having a son has always been much more prestigeous, I'm afraid things could be unpleasant for a girl child when a father has no possibility of a son to follow.
I think the change in what we consider a beautiful form has had to do with status too. In times when an abundance of food was not a sure thing, looking well fed was a mark of wealth. Now, when food is abundant and readily available to almost everyone, being plump is no longer a mark of high social status. Healthy, good-tasting, low-fat food is expensive so now being able to afford that food is the mark of status. Food that allows someone to survive is cheap. Food that keeps you fit and healthy isn't. ~Nadine~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8386582

Vickie, that's true about one child per couple in China - it's been true for a generation. And the amazing Carrie Lamont predicted this and it's come true: often if a Chinese couple was limited to one child they wanted it to be a boy, to the point where selective abortion and infanticide were not at all uncommon. So the generation that is now wanting to marry is like 80% boys/young men, 20% girls/young women. All of a sudden it's flipped again, GIRLS are at a premium. (I predicted the part that if they killed all the baby girls, they would miss them at some point!)

Vickie, THANK YOU for what you said on that horrible thread! What I want to know is, that one person who said I proved my ignorance once again - when was the other time?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 22, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8387045

I missed the article, Carrie. Can you send the link?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8387195

Ummm you don't want to read it, really Debra. It's not one of my finer concoctions; the only things that are good are the pictures.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3118/

I tried so hard to be non-controversial that everyone was offended.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

February 22, 2011

Post #8387235

Carrie, I think lots of people have cabin fever from being indoors from all the storms. I liked the article. Have you read Michael Chriton's book "State of Fear"?

Guess I'm just too tired to get torqued about the subject. Or much of anything else.

hugs, katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 22, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8387267

So what's wrong with the article? It asks fair questions, presents multiple theories and ideas, and is not arrogant or presumptuous. What in the world would offend ANYONE? Sheesh, people are dumb. :-)

Katie, glad you chimed in. We've missed you.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

February 22, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8387274

I've had the flu for about ten days. No fun at all.

kb

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8387402

People got offended. People thought I should have used my bully pulpit to explain why everything is the way it is/isn't. I wasn't trying to explain the meaning of Life, for crying out loud. Just I've actually heard people say outloud "see, it's snowing again. Obviously global warming is Leftist propaganda." So I was trying to explain how they were not mutually exclusive. At least I got a lot of clicks!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 22, 2011
11:28 PM

Post #8387646

LOL, loved your post, Vickie.
Carrie, the article gave a simple, understandable hypothesis to a simple question everyone and his brother is asking. Something that was needed. No one KNOWS exactly what is happening or why or how it will all turn out. Some people just can't emotionally handle the not knowing, not being in control thing. They need to BELIEVE they know exactly what is happening and BELIEVE that assumed knowledge will give them control. The unknowns of climate change scare people and a precentage of such people will lash out when they are afraid. But, remember how Vickie and Kay were talking about how if they could understand the why of things it helps them cope. Most people are like that. You helped more people grasp what is happening and they had a few smiles while their minds were being opened. There are those who only feel safe when their minds are tightly closed. You did a good job with a tough subject under a lot of editorial constraints. Way to go! (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8388770

Thanks, Jim! (Big grin!) Now I feel like a million bucks!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2011
3:58 AM

Post #8391509

Thanks Jim, Kay and i realize that there are somethings no one can understand. But think about it, How terrible it would be to know everything and know there is nothing left to learn. Horrors!!!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 25, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8391951

That IS a frightening thought, Vickie. Nothing left to look forward to, no need to do anything because you already know it all, ugh!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8392177

I agree -- UGH!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 26, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8394604

“We hereby claim this hummingbird feeder in the name of the queen.”

Thumbnail by Sansai87

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 27, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8395481

fun. :-) and i say, 'it's alllll yours, buddies."
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 27, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8396674

The trees are leafing and budding out, the bulbs are practically leaping out of the ground, and the Poppies seem to have settled in nicely.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Accessible Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
abled fighters dpmichael 13 Sep 28, 2009 1:31 AM
Gardening with a bad knee Bug_Girl 13 Aug 28, 2009 4:26 PM
"Enabled" vs. "Disabled" Gardeners Shirley1md 40 Apr 8, 2007 6:29 PM
a gardening poem debi_z 43 Jun 17, 2013 4:59 AM
pneumatic seat for gardening debi_z 31 Jun 30, 2009 2:48 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America