Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: Packing cannas and callas

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 8, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #8193285

They are out of the ground and dry. Has anyone tried packing them in shredded paper (letter kind-not newspaper) or do I need to take a trip and get peat moss. Don't want to lose them, rather recyle then buy a large bag of pm.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 7, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #8200254

My climate isn't the same as yours, but I've dug them up (cannas) and stored them in paper bags and they survived just fine in my basement. The rhizomes hold a lot of water so drying out never seemed to be a problem.
Since it gets much colder where you live, maybe just store them in shredded paper in a box and keep them indoors or in an insulated garage ???

edited to add that wood shavings may work just as well for both. Is there a wood-working shop near you anywhere that you could get the shavings ? Here, they sell both types of bulbs in boxes filled with wood shavings.

This message was edited Nov 7, 2010 8:54 PM
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #8200953

HI, will check on the shavings..otherwise will do paper. They will be held in the basement. It is cooler there. My garage is unheated and just OK to hold over hardy plants already in soil.
Thanks.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #8208718

Just dug mine out, too. I store them just like this in a cool basement. I do overwinter a lot of bulbs in brown paper bags. My caladiums,

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2010
10:22 AM

Post #8209600

WOW,,,thats a lot of bulbs. all of mine will fit into small box.:)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2010
12:34 PM

Post #8209728

Not entirely sure what I will do with them all next spring. Those are all either red or yellow. I use to have a lot of different types, more colors and leaf variations but last year a whole bushel basket of tubers were left at my son's house sitting out and never planted. By the time we found them it was too late. So I guess next year I will be giving away some canna and buying more.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2010
2:01 PM

Post #8211428

If you end-up at a round-up..could be nice offerings. Bummer about the lost ones, I lost all my red ones and my dahlias to "mummification" as I forgot them for 2 seasons and they dried out.(never hit the stinky zone..as in the house...I might have saved a few.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2010
11:21 AM

Post #8215028

Marcia

I lift callas every year. I let them dry out and then put them in paper bags and cardboard boxes. The bulbs are then stored with my dahila tubers for the winter... haven't had any issues yet...

Holly - I may decide to go to the Plantswap next year, based soley upon your caladiums LOL!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2010
11:49 AM

Post #8215078

Oh That would be so great I would love to see you. Ric and I have a new GH it isn't set up yet probably not until spring but I am looking forward to all the extra growing space. With luck I will have a lot of plants to give away besides the Canna. I will gladly save some for you when the time comes. I should have Mums, Asters and Sedum to give away, too. I have way too many of a couple of varieties.
We have another load of Canna that we just dug up from my Granddaughters school. These will have to go back next spring. I saw them the other day when we were checking out her new school and I had Jen ask if anyone was going to dig them out. Turns out no one was going to do that and they were thrilled to have someone volunteer to pull, store and replant them next spring.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America