Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: When to transplant Sambucus Black Lace Elderberry?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hollyd77
Toledo, OH

November 7, 2010
1:15 PM

Post #8199523

Hello! I have a beautiful 2-year-old Black Lace elderberry but I need to move it about 2 feet from it's current location. Last time I tried to move one, I killed it. I wasn't prepared for how insane the root system would be and didn't have anyone to help me, so I ended up hacking and tearing at it until I was exhausted and it was too traumatized to recover. Now I know I'm in for a real project with moving this one, but I'm not sure when to do it - would it hate me less if I did it this fall, now that it's getting cold? (I'm in Zone 5 - we haven't had a killing frost yet, but it's getting into the mid-30's some nights) Or should I wait till early spring before it leafs out?

Thanks!
~Holly

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2010
9:17 AM

Post #8202844

I'm not sure about the timing but I will offer two pieces of advice for when you do move it. First, about two to three weeks before you plan to move the plant, dig all the way around it as if you're going to dig it up but then leave it in the ground. Then, once you move the plant, use root stimulator of some kind. I prefer BioTone by Espoma because it has micronutrients and mycorrhizae.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2010
2:03 PM

Post #8203268

Timing for you...probably should have done it in October.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America