Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

African Violets and Gesneriads: Looking for mini african violet vendors.

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads
bookmark
Forum: African Violets and GesneriadsReplies: 11, Views: 140
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 7, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #8199812

Hello everyone!! I've been wanting to dab into the world of African violets. I've seen some at the grocery stores and at the HD but I have no idea what type of previous care have they received so I'm hesitant to get them from these places. Instead I want to purchase plants from a good vendor. I would prefer minis since I get to keep more but I can also do standards. I would just have to get more racks and growlights. Pointing me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 7, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #8199918

lydon lyon greenhouses -- rob's viloet barn top growers

google avsa registered violets.

e-bay. AV
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #8200034

I agree with Rob's and Lyndon Lyons.Also,Travis Violets,Dave's Violets,several Ebay vendors and more.Check the Garden Watchdog on this site.Everyone there is rated and feedback is left.

Lynn
Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 7, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #8200050

Thank you both for your suggestions. I looked through both and liked Rob's better. I will try the grower's special on the mini AV since I've got no experience and hopefully will get a nice variety of plants. I will have to wait another week or so. I placed and order yesterday for Ranunculus bulbs.
mrsbonnie
Ottawa, IL
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2010
4:29 AM

Post #8200498

would you like some leaves of violets? I have lots.
bonnie
Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 8, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #8200569

Bonnie I would love to as long as you tell me how to root them. I've rooted other plant cuttings before in water but I bet that the violets are a bit different.
wiggiej
Ann Arbor, MI

November 8, 2010
11:54 AM

Post #8201263

Another excellent vendor is thegreenmule (Fred Howarth) on eBay. Nice guy, good prices (cheaper than either robs or llg) and his plants are gorgeous healthy and simply perfect. I think he is just the best for minis & semi-minis.
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #8201499

He is excellent !!
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

November 8, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #8201650

Welcome. I suggest looking under Plant Care on Violent Barn's home page. It has many articles, lessons, answers to questions, and links to other sites of interest. I'm sure it covers propagating AV's from leaves too.
bigoldbuck701
Williston, ND

November 11, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #8206113

cedar creek violets are good,
I also like debs violets
and josviolets one of the best places to find a list of vendors is avsa website,just go look under venders,you can search or just by state
hope it helps

JIM
Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 14, 2010
4:14 PM

Post #8211653

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I especially would like to thank Bonnie for sending me the leaves. They are potted up and I'm hoping to see roots and new plantlets soon. I also looked into Fred Howarth on eBay and picked some of his plants. I'm loving the plants as well as the leaves from Bonnie. Sooo many colors, edges, sizes and the promise of flowers. Can I add a water soluble rooting hormone to the tray with the leaves ??? It's called KLN and I've used it for my orchids for some time but not sure if it will be ok for the African violets. I'm sorry for all of the questions and thanks for all of your help one more time. Happy Gardening !!!!
Rolando
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

November 15, 2010
9:47 AM

Post #8212843

I read an article in a recent (past year) AV magazine that tested rooting hormone vs. nothing on AV leaves for propagation. It found no significant improvement with rooting hormone. Why not try your own experiment with half of leaves with and without. I suppose you'd look for time of first plantlet emergence, size, number... You get the magazine bimonthly with an AVSA membership.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America