I had the same problem in Aug./Sept. and lost 2 plants, one young and one mature. I suspect it could be some kind of infection/mites? I kept them next to some dozen other AVs with no fertilizer or artificial lights, watered with the same tap water and all of them kept doing great but those two... I did separate them though so would definitely recommend to carantine the plants in question for the sake of others. I wish I knew what was the problem... It might help to have them checked at the extention office. Good luck!
My best quess is too much light or heat.The one on the top left looks a little different from the others.I would isolate it and examine it with a magnifying glass or jewelers loupe if possible.You might also try a gentle bath in mild dish soap.Just make sure the plants,especially the crowns,are completely dry before putting back under lights.
After all the problems I have had since re-starting my AV hobby I have finally admitted maybe this was a mite problem, followed the suggestion that Forbid 4F was a product I might want to try and quess what?! In a couple of weeks I have centers that are regenerating beautifully; I now have 4 plants either in bloom, or about to bloom!
Have picked 11 varieties from the batch I was going to discard 3 weeks ago to treat as I would stored crowns. What have I got to loose, I am ahead of the game in that I don't have to wait for a regeneration to start. They are already a glowing green set of little buggers!
The result from a simply misting is amazing!! I wish I had not resisted so long.
BTW, streps are also beautiful. Alissa opened a blossom today!
Bonnie, I put ONE DROP in 12 oz water and misted. According to directions as little as 1.4 oz of this stuff is sufficient for 100 gallons of mix (max recommendation is 4 oz--1/2cup/100 gallons). It has powerful effect!! I think that means 1 drop in 1 1/2 cup water is plenty strong.
Remember reading somewhere it is not necessary to spray to runoff, or to hit all leaves. I misted til I could see very small droplets on leaves.
Will keep posted on progress; I am using previously infected plants as an experiment.
I made this photo just a few minutes ago. These are 4 of the batch pictured in first entry. Treatment was done after 11-20 ( I don't have exact date in notes)
I have bought this product and have been considering spraying the entire gh. I think that inhaling it is more likely an issue when you do a large scale operation like I have been contemplating. I have talked myself into just spot spraying plants that need it, and don't think that should be too much of an issue. Now--just need to do it.
I'm a new member and I was happy to see the post from gessieviolet about the real tight centers in AV's. I had beautiful violets till last year when I began to see this wierd problem on some plants. I took leaf cuttings and started new plants and I can see the same thing happening to them. I segregated the "sick" plants and will now try treating with the Forbid 4F you mentioned and see if I can see a difference. I did notice that a couple regenerated on their own next to the tight, browned-out center, but it's unnattractive, distorted growth. I did read somewhere that this could be the result of some bug or other, but I looked with a magnifier and couldn't really see anything. Thanks for the tip and I'll write again to let everyone know what happened.
Sue, I am so glad you are planning to take action. Please don't do what I did and spend a long time trying to rejuvenate ailing plants.
I, like you, never actually saw any kind of "insect" and refused to believe that was the problem. I was wrong and wasted 6 months. I, now, am giving my plants one chance and it is into the trash if response is slow.
I agree. I already tossed some into the compost - maybe not such a good idea now that I know it's a bug. But we're in zone 5 and the compost is working under a foot of snow preceded by hard freezes. I have a couple of favorites that look they could come back so I'll try it and see what happens. I'll let you know how it goes.