Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Vegetable Gardening: Parthenocarpic yellow squash

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

November 9, 2010
5:19 AM

Post #8202505

Does anyone know of a parthenocarpic (all female flowers, no need for pollination) yellow squash (and source for the seed)? I need one I can grow under row covers so the blasted pickle worms don't damage all the fruit. I have zucchini and cucumbers that are parthenocarpic, just haven't found a good yellow squash variety.
I am getting limited control of the pickle worms, but they still damage at least a quarter of the fruit.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2010
5:44 AM

Post #8202547

I have not encountered any crooknecks, straightnecks or scallops that are parthenocarpic. All cuurently available seem to dark green zucchini, Cavilli, Parthenon, Surething, Whitaker. I did find a field test that listed a straightneck ( Gold Strike) as 75 % partheoncarpic, but can find no seed source.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2010
9:36 AM

Post #8202868

I am interested and curious. So those "Parthenocarpic" zucchini have all female flowers.
How does the zucchini grow?
Don't you need the male flower to pollinate and make the fruit?
Thanks in advance.

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #8203162

A "fruit" is merely an edible seed covering. Parthenocarpic varieties have been tricked into growing the seed covering without the seeds. They still need pollination to reproduce ( develop seeds) but for practical purposes the seedless fruit are sufficient.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

November 10, 2010
4:23 AM

Post #8204141

Thanks Farmerdill, I knew you would know if they were out there. The pickle worms are driving me crazy. I have found they crawl around at night so I go out with a light and spray Bt or spinosad after dark which has given me a little control.

Dane, I want to grow the plants under row covers and don't want to hand pollinate. The row covers keep insects out (like the pickle worms and squash vine borers).

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America