Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Parthenocarpic yellow squash

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Does anyone know of a parthenocarpic (all female flowers, no need for pollination) yellow squash (and source for the seed)? I need one I can grow under row covers so the blasted pickle worms don't damage all the fruit. I have zucchini and cucumbers that are parthenocarpic, just haven't found a good yellow squash variety.
I am getting limited control of the pickle worms, but they still damage at least a quarter of the fruit.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have not encountered any crooknecks, straightnecks or scallops that are parthenocarpic. All cuurently available seem to dark green zucchini, Cavilli, Parthenon, Surething, Whitaker. I did find a field test that listed a straightneck ( Gold Strike) as 75 % partheoncarpic, but can find no seed source.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I am interested and curious. So those "Parthenocarpic" zucchini have all female flowers.
How does the zucchini grow?
Don't you need the male flower to pollinate and make the fruit?
Thanks in advance.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

A "fruit" is merely an edible seed covering. Parthenocarpic varieties have been tricked into growing the seed covering without the seeds. They still need pollination to reproduce ( develop seeds) but for practical purposes the seedless fruit are sufficient.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Thanks Farmerdill, I knew you would know if they were out there. The pickle worms are driving me crazy. I have found they crawl around at night so I go out with a light and spray Bt or spinosad after dark which has given me a little control.

Dane, I want to grow the plants under row covers and don't want to hand pollinate. The row covers keep insects out (like the pickle worms and squash vine borers).

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.