Anyone tried buck lures?

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

I am wondering if they really work. I put a game camera out and want to bring them in to photograph--I would like to know what brands have been tried successfully.

Thumbnail by passiflora_pink
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Tink's Buck Lure

DH has been hunting for over 40 years and has tried them all...he swears by this. Steals my DD tampons, dips it in it and then hangs it on a branch, climbs the tree and waits. It has never failed him or my son.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Central, AL(Zone 8a)

That's quite a buck! I saw Tink's lures at the farm store but there are several kinds--which does he recommend? The Doe-in Rut is what I bought out of the selections they had--hope it works.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

He said that was a good choice! ^_^

Mentor, OH

I only bowhunt for deer, so I need to have the deer within 20-25 yards. I have tried many brands of lure and have had success with some and have had the same ones totally ignored at times. Depends on their mood and the time of the year. Actually the 100% pure deer urine lures should all be about equal as long as they are handled properly by the lure companies since they don't make it ....the deer do. The lure I have had the most success with is Doc's. They gather the lure from their farm in October and they claim to buy back all that is unsold from their dealers at the end of the year. It seems to always be fresh and doesn't have the rancid smell that some do. If you are only interested in photos, I have had a lot more luck putting out apples, corn or acorns. This will work all year long. Just make sure it's legal in your area. Pennsylvania has a heavy penalty for putting out bait (food) in a hunting area. Dan

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Thanks, psudan!

The camera is in my woods adjoining my pasture, and if I put any apples, corn or acorns out then the horse gets it. Also I am overrun with raccoons--and don't need any more doe pictures so that is why I decided on the buck lure.

I will let you know how this works.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

In this area, Tinks 69 works well. An easy way to use and reuse is a small pill bottle or 35mm film cannister. Put a few cotton balls in it and some of the Tinks 69. When you get to your stand, open the bottle and wedge it into the ground. When done hunting, reseal with the lid and reuse. As it is quite expensive, this makes it a bit more economical.

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Great idea! I was disappointed at the price.

It definitely is not cheap and if you factor all your expenses when hunting, we'd probably go buy beef at the store instead.

Price per pound we wouldn't want to think about! LOL

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Hubby and I both hunt and I agree that deer meat is probably the most expensive meat one could buy BUT, there's never been a recall on it :-} Besides that, we enjoy our time out in the woods much more than a trip to the grocery store. BTW passiflora, we also use Tink's 69 with mixed results. Deer all have their own personalities just like people and some will come readily to deer lure while others will run from it. Hubby and I have both shot our share of those that don't run. I also use cotton balls tucked into a film canister--works great. At the end of my hunt, I put the lid back on the canister and seal it up in a Zip Lock for next time. Also, it will keep longer if you put it in the fridge.

Mentor, OH

Years ago, I used cotton balls in the film bottles. I found that after a while the cotton would wad up into a small unusable ball. For years now I have used the small 1" diameter "pom-pom" balls that are found in the craft section at any Wal-mart or similar store. I keep two or three in each canister and spread them out a short distance from my stand. Keep them in the canister when not in use and they last forever. I would suggest the brighter colors since they are easier to find at dark with a flashlight. LOL Dan

Quoting:
we also use Tink's 69 with mixed results
I am suspecting what is affecting the results is the breeding cycles of the deer which is constantly changing.
Should a buck be in rut, he will be more readily drawn to the scent of another buck in his territory.

Good idea on the bright colors to locate the cannisters too. Or maybe some of that light colored model paint that glows at night?

Mentor, OH

A small strip of reflector tape ,like kids put on their bikes, works well too. Dan

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

I was at Bass Pro the other day and they had Buck Rut wafers that come in a little canister and you hang them on trees. I don't know if it was the lure or not but...

Was that photo taken after you hung the wafers? Is you season still open?

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Yes, 1 or 2 nights after I hung the wafer. It is like a little waffle.
The season is open but I don't have a hunting license---I just like to photograph wildlife on my property. But I get a lot of comments from my hunting friends! Here is one from last year--no lure used; he just showed up:

That is a cool photo. The antlers just jump out at you. They look frosty.

You might consider submitting that one for the DG annual photo contest next year.

And I'd bet your hunting friends comment! Like where is your camera set up??? lol

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Down by the barn in a suburban area. There is a house maybe 100 feet away and my horse wanders loose and that is why I don't invite my friends to hunt--Here he is from the rear:

This message was edited Jan 5, 2011 7:01 AM

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

The pic didn't post right and I can't edit it--will try to find another one.

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Here's the shot:

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

If I were hunting him, I probably could have got him--here he is when I stalked him with my camera in hand:

That is neat. You were pretty close? I still like the frosty photo above.

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

maybe 150 feet away.
But I got about 30 feet from this big guy--can you believe it? I took this with my digital cam:

Very neat. It is worth the cost of buck lures ~ isn't it!

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Yep--however until about 6 weeks ago I had never used a lure--so I will see how it goes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.