Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Tansy: Companion plant for fruit

Communities > Forums > Article: Tansy
bookmark
Forum: Article: TansyReplies: 1, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2010
5:07 AM

Post #8207647

It took a long time for me to find tansy to use as a companion plant under caning fruit, grape trellises, roses, and orchard trees. It is supposed to repel borers, ants, flies, fleas, and squash, cucumber and Japanese beetles! They supposedly used it in place of black pepper for cooking in the old days, too. It is high in potassium and is considered a good addition to compost piles. All this per "Carrots Love Tomatoes" by Louise Riotte, page 164 ( http://davesgarden.com/products/gbw/c/417/ )

I love the plant and it is an extremely hardy!!

Thanks for the article Sharon!
Bev
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2010
10:12 PM

Post #8209023

Hi Bev,
Yep, it's in and around and all over my roses, too, among other things. Sometimes the scent is so strong it almost repels me, as well.

We were in the middle of a drought all summer...and still no rain. Everything in my garden died back, except the tansy. It got a little crunchy and I finally cut it back nearly to the ground the end of August...yet now it's about a foot tall. No rain and one light frost, I'm wondering if it might even bloom again for Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the words and for the link!
Happy Thanksgiving.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Tansy Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Tansy sharonf1 13 Aug 18, 2012 10:09 AM
Wonderful! NEILMUIR1 2 Sep 22, 2009 1:20 PM
Just send it over here! woofie 15 Oct 3, 2009 2:33 PM
Tuesday LouC 1 Sep 22, 2009 5:29 PM
Always there hello85 3 Sep 23, 2009 3:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America