Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Perennials: What flower seeds can I plant now in Zone 7(Md/Va/DC area?)

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 3, Views: 89
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #8208291

It's almost mid November already and today is absolutely beautiful. I just planted some larkspur seeds, hoping for Spring/Summer blooms but will also wintersow some in milk jugs, come January or February.

What other flower seeds can I direct sow now in the flowerbeds. We've had several mornings of light frost.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

November 18, 2010
7:43 AM

Post #8218341

Columbine? Campanulas? Sorry but I'm more shade oriented.
obliqua
Pittsburgh, PA

November 20, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #8221753

I was reading a Q&A section in Horticulture magazine, they address this question. Annuals that can be sown in the fall are generally those that are known for spreading on their own by self-sowing such as annual poppies,larkspur, love-in-a-mist and pansies. So-called "hardy-annuals" also work. Biennials to sow in the fall are foxgloves,sweet william, and hollyhock. For perennials consider anything that self sows. Coneflowers, hardy geraniums, columbine, black eyed susans and others that drop their seeds in autumn. Any perennials that need cold stratification.

In cold winter areas sow the seeds after a killing frost. In warm winter areas sow the seeds just before the rainy season begins or from the late fall into winter. If seedlings appear soon after sowing and you are in a cold area, mulch over them once the ground has frozen completely.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2011
2:04 AM

Post #8303929

I sowed annual poppies and had an early germination. Just read about mulching.
Too late for my babies.
I was assured somnifariums were hardy and would survive. I hope so.
We are due for another 6 inches of snow. I doubt I will see the bare ground for another 2 months.
I checked the site where the early sprouts were and didnt see much.Then it started snowing.
I guess it will be April to know how many survived.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America