AuthorContent
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2010
12:20 AM

Post #8209066

We came from here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/disabled/all/
Welcome to our group. We're a friendly bunch. We range from wheelchair bound to mostly blind. MS to CHF, Arthritic to Severe Depression.
We still manage to function as good citizens,good gardeners and give uplifting support to eachother and others, So come join us.
Vickie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 13, 2010
6:48 AM

Post #8209341

Thank you, Vickie. :-)
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

November 13, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #8209372

Good morning everyone. It is a beautiful chilly day here. Tony is having car problems and had to come to work on his motorcycle and he's well-chilled. Our temperature is maybe in the fifties!!

I'm almost over whatever it was that had me down. Still a little headachy and woozy. Don't know if I'll be ready to leave Monday as planned but there's a few days wiggle room so I'll just see what happens. I'm not in any pain now so it's a matter of getting some strength back. I don't bounce back as rapidly as I used to.

It is nice to feel surrounded by friends, both where I live and in cyber space Thank you to all of you who are here. Send my greetings to those who are away for awhile and, if you're lurking, speak up and join the crowd.

hugs all around, katie

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2010
2:12 AM

Post #8210452

Katie, Glad you're taking care of yourself. You've told us so much about Tony,He just seems part of the famly too.
This is a good time to thank everyone from me for the friendship we all have too.I feel like we are family.
Vickie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 14, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #8211746

My niece's ashes are at my house, waiting until the family is ready to get a plot (meaning until I have the money to pay for it :-). Her kids had decided they wanted memorial jewelry and I got them engraved metal canisters small enough to wear or carry. A couple of weeks ago, I spread a Kroger sale ad on the table, took the tiny glass vials out of the canisters, filled them up, and set each aside for the superglued lids to dry before being dropped back into the canisters. Of course, even though I tried to be cautious, a little ash spilled in the process. After the urn was resealed, I folded up three sides of the paper, carefully carried it out front, and flung the residue over the garden...forgetting the vials were still on the paper... ooops! Found two by the Plumbago. The other three? Nowhere. From wherever she was/is, I knew my niece was laughing her BUTT off. LOL Even my sister thought it was funny. So did the kid who dug up the Iris (he looked, too, while digging). And I wish I had a recording of the clerk at the memorial gallery when I called to get replacement vials. She was trying hard NOT to laugh, not wanting to sound insensitive, not too sure what to say. But, they're just ashes, Crystal isn't in them, and it IS funny. I filled the new vials today and made SURE to put them on the glass tabletop instead of the paper. Scraping a little glue off glass if necessary is MUCH better than crawling around on hands and knees in muddy clay, leaf debris, and Cypress mulch, especially when it is chilly outside (for us) and I have a cold. :-) The kids seem to have adjusted well enough to take the canisters now. I showed them right after the box arrived and they are starting to ask my sister when they can have them. Maybe Thanksgiving week. They have a lot to be thankful for, even the fact that she died when she did. She was never going to be well again and there was very little of "her" left in that brain. The kids were miserable and she was going to hurt someone eventually, so it really was a blessing for everyone--including her. The kids have had enough time, now, that they can remember when MOM was still around, not the raging insane alien they had to endure the last few years. Yeah, I think Thanksgiving week...

Crystal's favorite color was purple and some late-blooming Magnus Echinacea are dancing in my yard.

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2010
8:58 PM

Post #8217900

Love, hugs and a big grin Debra.
Vickie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

November 18, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #8218347

Tony got to La Paz with his father and discovered that the appoint had gotten mixed up due to two doctors with the same last name. His father has been taking some herbal medicines and is doing better. He feels better and his kidneys are working better.

While my ankle is much better there is still enough pain to make sleeping difficult.

If I am to see Amma in San Ramon I should leave today but I'm so tired that it's hard to get it together.

Praying for guidance.

katie
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2010
12:16 AM

Post #8221310

"Hugs"

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2010
11:54 AM

Post #8221993

Good luck, Katie!

I took my nighttime pills with breakfast yesterday, and spent all day yesterday asleep, napping, drinking coffee, taking another nap, etc. That's only happened twice in twelve years, that I can remember. There have been other close calls, but this one went totally unnoticed until I couldn't wake up. WE HAVE TO HAVE A SLEEPY HUSBAND-PROOF SYSTEM!The other time was DH too. Is this the practical solutions thread?
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2010
2:25 AM

Post #8224602

Carrie, This is the Compassion Thread. You totally have all our compassion. smile
Vickie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

November 23, 2010
5:03 PM

Post #8227668

Well I made it to Ca in time to see Amma but my van developed serious electrical problems which were expensive so I'm not going to make it north of chula vista. I dreamt about Amma last night. That's as close as I get to her this trip.

Had medical stuff today. My ankle has spurs and arthritis as well as a torn ligament. It's inflamed. I'm on antiinflamatories, antibiotics and some pain meds. Not enough as I am still conscious. Or somewhat so. No idea where I go from here but am feeling OK.

hugs, katie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

November 24, 2010
10:09 AM

Post #8228675

Happy to report I'm doing much better today. Almost no pain in my ankle - first time in weeks.

hugs, katie
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

November 29, 2010
6:51 PM

Post #8236742

Katie, so glad to hear you are feeling some better. Take it easy though..
Thanks for the smile, Debra, I received my bumper sticker. ("When things aren't going right, just go left.") I like the Cafe Press "create you own" idea. I'll put it on as soon as my W/c arrives. I've received my cushion and some accessories, but no chair yet.
I'm headed up to Harrisburg (PA) on Thursday. Have my fingers crossed my w/c will arrive in time for the trip. They may have snow there when I arrive. oh, boy. what fun. NOT!!! (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 30, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #8237403

Jim, you are welcome. :-) If you have to use a chair, might as well have some fun with it. Kay said that was your current favorite, so there ya go...
Debra

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #8240030

OK, I found a store online that's called The Insulin Case Shop that SPECIALIZES in pill boxes and jars and trays and delivery systems! I went bananas! Jim or Kay, do you know if Nadine has her own picture of that thing in Enterprise? All the non-copyright ones seem to chop off the weevil. I saw a copyrighted one from a different source that emphasized the weevil and boy, was that different!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 1, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #8240064

Awright, Carrie!!!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 5, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #8246142

I am home safe and sound. Kind of tired but that's normal.

Saw my regular doctor on Friday. I really like him. We talked about depression, pain and tiredness. My ankle is much better due to the antibiotics and a couple of weeks mostly off my feet. My diabetes is under control without medication.

I've started back on Prozac and added Wellbrutin which is new for me Also got a shot of cortizone in my left knee

My van is packed. Tony will be here in the morning and unpacking should go fairly rapidly.

Also on the medical front: my blood pressure is excellent. I had a bunch of blood and urine tests and all but one were within normal ranges. Now let's hope the antidepressents work so I can get to work on losing some of my extra weight. I've been both very depressed and in a lot of pain for about the last six months and just keeping from gaining has been a major challenge.

My dogs were all really excited to have me home and I'm really glad to be back with them.

I'm super glad to be back home and away from the Christmas madness going on in Ca.

hugs all around, katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #8247657

Yay, I'm glad you're feeling better, Katie. D., P. and T. are not unrelated. Prozac - I saw one girl lose a lot of weight she couldn't afford to lose on that. I love my Wellbutrin.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

December 8, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #8250345

Carrie, I'll get you some boll weevil pics myself, if Nadine doesn't have one that will work.
Yep, I don't think I've ever met anyone with chronic pain that doesn't also have depression. (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2010
5:47 PM

Post #8252411

am sorry about the depession. I take the generic for prozac and chlora thalizid. It helps alot except when the depression gets to the sick phaze. Than nothing helps much tho years ago EST helped.
I have bad reactions to Welbutrin. I get paranoid big time. So thats on my list of allergic tos.
Depression has been really bad since Thanksgiving. Have tayed with DD but am getting better now. Arthritis in my knees have been bad too But things will get better.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #8253789

Oh, the article came out TODAY!
The link is in the other thread, sorry.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 11, 2010
5:08 PM

Post #8255204

I spent the morning wrapping Christmas presents for Tony and his family. Slept most of the afternoon.

I think Ii'm having a reaction to the Wellbutrin - very bloated all week and enough pain from it to keep me from being very active. I will stop taking it for a couple of days and see if that helps.

I'm getting some housecleaning/organization done. Sorting out some craft stuff to take to the kids so they can keep busy over the Christmas break.

We are getting the weather which is our reward for surviving the hot, humid summer. Beautiful clear days. It's almost 6 pm and Ii'm wearing a t-shirt, one sock and my ckocs. The sock is tohold the heating thingie for my ankle which is still a little sore.

The used laptop which I got for Tony's son Antonio died prematurely. I was going to look for another when I was in Ca. but then had the major car repair and had to abandon the idea. At least that's what I told Tony. I was actually able to get a middle-line new one for him and it is now all wrapped for Christmas - it will be a surprise for everyone, especially Tony! Antonio graduated for high school this year and is taking ayear off to work before starting at the university next year. He got a special certificate in computers so he should really enjoy it. I also got him a kit of computer repair tools, something not to be found here. Got Tony the power drill he wanted and two Monty Roberts books in Spanish for his older son, Luis, who is studying to be a veterinarian. Lots of fabric for his wife Fely and daughter Barbara. And whatever I can find for everybody else - it's a big family.

I have lots of stuffed animals for my Santa gig. Plus candy and crayons.

If I can get over this bloating I'll be in good shape.

hugs, katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #8255776

Ouch, Katie, be careful STOPPING Wellbutrin suddenly or not suddenly but by yourself - it can leave you worse than before you started. You sound like a wonderful Santa Claus!!!!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 12, 2010
9:36 AM

Post #8256047

I've only taking the Wellbutrin for about a week. Did not take it last night and things are much better today. Taking it I felt like I had a weather baloon in my diaphram. Still wobbly with some discomfort in diaphram but better.

Wasn't able to be Santa last year due to dog bite. The best part was that when I went to Tony's on New Years Day with a few (very few) presents and no costume, several of the kids came over to see me anyway and didn't mind the lack of candy. Lots of great kids here.

katie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 13, 2010
10:36 AM

Post #8257858

It appears that while I was recovering from the bad reaction to the meds, someone stole my purse. It was in my van on my gated property with my four dogs around which limits the number of suspects. The most frustrating things is that there was no money in it but lots of important papers and seeds for fruit trees that I want to start here. The hardest thing for me is to keep myself from making an equation between my efforts to provide some Christmas candy and presents for the children here and the fact that it was probably one of their parents who came in and took my purse. I will rant and rave for a day or two, put out the word that there is a "no questions asked" reward if it and the contents are returned, then go back to my Christmas preparations. The good power drill I gave Tony last year was stolen from his property a while ago. There are alot of thefts here from and by both Mexicans and Americans. Scumbags of all nationalities. Pray for them.

katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #8258433

Boooooo for thieves - they know not what they do, indeed. I hope you get your stuff back.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 14, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #8259654

Unpleasant responsibilities go along with the perks of management. Had an unexpected large revenue loss last night, the length of which is undetermined, so I am laying off six people today. Not the best of times. Will find thankfuls later today, but right now my whole spiritual, mental and physical person hurts. :-( Might sneak out at lunch for some flower therapy.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #8260385

Ouch, Debra. I didn't realize large revenue losses were followed by lay-offs in days, not weeks or months!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 14, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #8260548

It does when you are still recovering from the market crash and the source of revenue comprises 90% of the total. :-( We'll be okay eventually, just unpleasant now.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #8262276

I recieved this from KatieBear on Monday and thought I had posted it here. Blonde moments...I posted it in a Dmail back to her. I have not heard anything since this and pray she has located the items...

Hi all,

I got a message from dear Katiebear- She can't locate her purse and is frantic. As we all know, many important documents are there and she also mentioned "seeds".

Please join me in prayer for Katie to find a peaceful state of mind and also her purse. I would be ( and have been) frantic over the same thing, we probably can all relate.

As for me, I'm just having really bad knee pain. The left one especially.

Hugs and Prayers,
Sheri

ēDave's Garden
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 15, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #8262359

Hi - Still no purse. Tony has been a rock. Very hard to deal with this at Christmas, especially since I have a good idea of who the thief is but can't do anything about it. I'm mostly really depressed but I know that will pass.

katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 15, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #8262435

Katie,

What can I do to help?

Debra

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

December 15, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #8262457

Katie, Kay had me looking for interesting quotes she could use in an art project. I came across this one. Shakespeare, "Othello", I think.
ďThe robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief"
Or, you can let Kay's mantra answer the door when anger and depression come knocking.
"I will BE the changes I want to see in the world." (Don't know the original sorce on that one.)
We must have been quite the sight shopping today. Me, in my w/c pushing the cart and Kay pushing me. (With some verbal direction from me, of course.) Well, we got the shopping done and made a lot of people smile. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2010

Post #8262458

Is there anything we can do, Katie?
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 15, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #8262501

Thank you all for the offers of help and words of encouragement. I'm most bummed about the need to replace passport, driver's liscense and all the other documents, especially hard as I am in Mexico. I agree with Shakespeare. It's mostly that I've been robbed so often that it gets discouraging. It might not be so agravating if they'd gotten anything of value to them but, luckily for me, I'd kept my money in my pocket. So it's apain in the neck for me and nothing for them, except that everyone has a pretty good idea of who the thief is and he will be the butt of some jokes.

I am grateful that I didn't lose my money as I had just been to the bank. And I have almost two weeks to come out of the depression and be Santa Clause on Christmas. Also grateful that, as depressed as I am,. I know it will pass and I'm not feeling suicidal.

I will stay home until I'm ready to go to town and laugh with my Mexican friends about the stupid, making sure that some of them repeat the funny story to the person I suspect is the thief. A little salt in the wound. Hope that doesn't sound too vengeful.

It was hard for me to write about this, thanks for the support. I'm glad I didn't hide.

hugs, katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 15, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #8262536

Jim, I think the original quote is from Mahatma Gandhi.

Katie, what seeds?

Debra

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #8262543

We love and care about you, Katie. I know you can't feel any hugs, but I'm sure that many are being sent your way.

Big bear hug,

Sheri
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 15, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #8262597

Cherimoya and starfruit. I will confess here that, while I am a recovering alchoholic, my first drug of choice is really self-pity. I can get quite dramatic about the frustration of having both these seeds from two sources (one paid, one DG friend) stolen when I have spent hours tracking them down. All drama aside, I will survive. But it's OK to be mad, depressed, and whatever else it takes for me to get past it. This is a hard time of year to have to deal with this extra stress but the thief is a miserable drunk and I'm not. So there.

hugs, katie

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2010
7:16 PM

Post #8262604

Right on Katie!!!
Sobriety is a very valuable thing!!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #8262625

Dear Katie, I hurt for you and am so sorry you are so depressed. Know that i care and understand.
A pox on the thief! I hope one of Santas reindeer comes and butts him where it'll do the most good.
I understand that legal papers from the states can be very valuable in Mexico.
I echo ---- What seeds?
I'm still on the depressed side but not the worse kind now.
When i was on the other garden site. I belonged to a forum that everyone took turns finding a quote for everyday. I injoyed that.Eveyone would take a week at a time to find quotes.
Night all,
Vickie
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #8262629

Way to go Katie!!!!!!!!!!!!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 16, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #8263510

Slept well for about seven hours last night and feel almost human today. Not nearly so depressed and able to start the process of replacing all the stolen papers (and seeds). It's hard to do but I didn't push myself while I was still weepy. Now it's time to do it as I know I will feel much better when it's handles.

Don't know what I'd do without Tony. He is such a caring, stable influence. I guess I am the same for him when he needs it but I don't think about that much. I always feel that what I do for him is very little compared to what he does for me. Then I find out he feels the same way. Guess we are both lucky.

Thanks for all the support on this.

Vickie, glad you are back. Please don't hide out when you're depressed. Come and get some love.

hugs, katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 16, 2010
11:00 AM

Post #8263599

Katie, I can get carambola and cherimoya seeds for you. Dmail me an address. Merrier Christmas. :-)

Debra

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #8263663

That didn't sound vengeful to me, Katie. It just sounded human. A good thing to be. Overly saintly types scare me. I always wonder what they are trying to compensate for. :-) {{{hugs}}}
Ah-h-h, Gandhi, the god-father of passive RESISTANCE. I knew I must have been quoting someone wise. That one is my personal favorite.
I understand Gandhiís eldest child gave him no end of grief. Perhaps, that is why his words speak to me with such potency. :-)
Now you've done it, Vickie. With the ideas you put in their heads, there is no telling what mischief Nadine's cartoon reindeer will be getting into.
Sheri, I hope your house doesn't have many stairways or steps. I am beginning to dread those as the arthritis in my knees gets worse. Kay*

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 16, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #8263849

I made it to town and did errands. My friend Manuel who has a store gave me a free bag of citrus after I told him about the theft of my purse. Also two chayotes which had sprouted. I've planted many but none have survived but hope springs eternal. Saw my neighbor Dana after I got home and she told me a thief has been caught so I'll go to the police tomorrow and see if they might have my purse. Not likely but possible.

Tired but not depressed. My ankle is still a little sore but keeps improving. I have to be careful not to reinjure it. Getting ready for Christmas.

hugs, katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2010
4:46 PM

Post #8264063

Been gone or not keeping up or something. Sometimes (rarely) a thief will dump the stuff that has no value to him/her -- maybe your passport, for instance, can be recovered. In my state, DL can be replaced online, paid for online, and so forth. I hope it's that straightforward for you.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #8264345

Kay- I have about 9? stairs to the basement, which is were the washer/dryer are. I have a hamper that is like a tall half round (flat on back. that serve es as a wonderful sup[port when I return Up the stairs, move the hamper u one, I step up one, repeat. When I come up without it it is rather a challenge.
Thanks for asking!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 17, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #8264780

Today I taught Tony a new word - "petty."

This is hard to write about = or even think about - but I don't want to let it fester any longer.

One morning lst spring, a couple of days before they left for their summer home, my neighbor Dana tod me, "We had 53 people here for dinner last night. Would you like the left-overs?"

I have spent months wondering why I was not invited. Not only not invited but then told about the event and offered the leftovers as if it was quite acceptable not have invited me.

Being left out is a very old and painful issue for me. As it is for many of us. And to leave me out and then act as if it hadn't happened is what many in my family have done - over and over. And I've been blamed as the "bad" one for resenting being left out. Like I should accept that for whatever reasons I am not quite as good as the rest of them and I should accept it and not have any negative feelings about it.

Yesterday, I finally spoke to Dana about it. She hugged me and said that they would be glad to invite me to their next party - if I would wear a bra!!! Seems her husband Tom didn't want me there for that reason. We ended up laughing about it but I'm not laughing today.

Hence the word "petty." I am telling this here because a whole lot of old pain is surfacing and I'm in need of some compassion.

It is so hard to write about because I do often feel different. I suspect many of us do. Not Dana and Tom, I guess but many of us.

I can't write any more right now.

katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2010
10:21 AM

Post #8265047

Oh, Katie, BIG GENTLE HUG! What is Tom's problem? Wasn't he here during the 70s like the rest of us? What you wear is your choice. Period. If HE has a problem it's his, not yours. And for Dana to rub it in your face that way was cruel and unthinking. You poor sweetheart.

When DD#1 was 12 or 13, the little boy up the street, whom she had gone to school with every day since 1st grade, had a bar mitzvah. I wasn't all that surprised that she wasn't invited, we're not Jewish etc,, until I found out that EVERY SINGLE KID IN THAT FIRST GRADE CLASS OF 20 KIDS WAS INVITED EXCEPT MY KID (2 or 3 other Jewish kids, lots of Catholic kids up here, the rest misc.).

Yes, I sure am familiar with that feeling, Katie. Or "Carrie why don't you come to more potluck suppers at family's houses that we're having through church?" Because I can't get up your front stairs, you dummy!

But I feel sad for Dana and Tom - they lost out on such a special, blessed party guest. You would probably be upturning the money-changers tables by the time it was over! Oh, Katie.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 17, 2010
10:32 AM

Post #8265060

Thank you, Carrie.

The blessing in this is that I am finally understanding (I think) that it is about them and not me. It still hurts but I'll get over it and I will no longer be vulnerable to them.

k.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2010
1:18 PM

Post #8265256

But Katie, who did you tell Tony is "petty" in the story? Surely Tom, or maybe both of them. Not you.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 17, 2010
1:20 PM

Post #8265258

yes. them.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 17, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #8265494

The NOKD (Not our kind, dear) people cause more damage than a schoolroom full of bullies. A pox on them and all their houses! Katie, you are more gracious than I would have been...

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #8265501

NOKD!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. I actually did laugh out loud! They live on my street! They go to my church!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2010
4:22 PM

Post #8265506

BTW I just posted on the Northeast Forum where I used to very often be NOKD.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 17, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #8265714

I was royally snubbed by Jackie Kennedy when I was a teenager. Years after JFK was killed the nanny revealed that it was she who Jackie had tell the children that their father was dead. There's a class act. I think of things I talked to kids I hardly knew about (sexual abuse, etc) when I was a Child Welfare Worker and wonder how she could have shirked talking to her children herself no matter how difficult.

When I was in my early twenties I was snubbed by a thirtish yuppie couple. Then our (state) Secretary of State spotted me, grabbed me in a hug and dragged me off, ignoring the yuppies. During his keynote speech the former governor introduced me and had me stand up to wave to the crowd. The dinner was for my father.

And I quit going to AA meetings because every person who'd been sober (or not) for five minutes seemed to feel compelled to tell me how poorly they thought I was doig. Most of them are still drunk (or still on dry drunks) while I've coming up on my twenty-fifth sobriety birthday

I just had another late afternoon-early evening nap. When I woke up I thought it was early morning. It's 8 pm. Lots of old pain being dreamed away.

The real mystery is not that people can behave so badly but that they seem to think that there is anything that will ever "unring the bell."

Everyone is invited to a party at my house. Everyone has to wear a bra - and nothing else. Including the men. We will drop in on Tom and Dana en mass.

Tom and Dana did invite several of those who consider themselves better than me. One from AA, one who has said some really nasty things about me but me which have come back to me. The latter person tried to buddy up to me last time I saw her; I think she's running out of "friends." I was not very responsive.

When I go to town I am waving to so many people that I often feel like I'm in a parade. Got a huge grin from the taco stand man in the plazz who, with his wife and sometimes a child or two wworks six days a week for long hours. I gave them a big dragonfruit plant and several cuttings and they make a point of greeting me like a friend. Which I am. I have given Dana and Tom teels, plants seeds, etc. Watched over their property while they are in Washington for the summer, kept them informed and done many favors and they do this.

The best news is that I seem to have been cataputled past the hurt and anger, both old and new.

It really is about them, isn't it? One of the best things that happens when I go to town is that I am often greeted, often by name, by children that I don't realize that I know.

Who would you rather be loved and respected by. A town full of hard-working Mexicans and their children or a couple of NOKD snobs?

Wonder if I'll be able to get back to sleep.

hugs all around, katie

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2010
9:12 AM

Post #8266410

Katie, if youíve reached the point that you are comfortable with yourself without all the trussing and alterations, you are a truly blessed person. Donít let those who are still struggling with their problems convince you any differently. It is a ďmisery loves companyĒ sort of thing.
One of the sadder facts of life is that most of us donít become truly comfortable in our own skins until that skin has seriously and inevitably started to sag and wrinkle. For way too many of us, not even then.
Will guest be allowed to wear simple, all-cotton, sports bras at your party? Or, will you insist on those lacy, itchy synthetic ones with underwires? Kay*
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 18, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #8266425

Any bra is acceptable, even those with the cups cut out. The men can choose where to wear theirs.

Slept like a log. No energy but no depression either. This I slept off a big load of old stuff.

hugs, katie
Linny1
(Linny) Salem, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #8266693

Hi guys.

Before you get too carried away ( not by the cops I hope) with nekid parties and the like, I wanted to jump in here and say to Birdieblue, Iíve had knee pain too. Last Friday I got a cortisone shot, then this Friday (yesterday) I had SynvicsOne, thatís that chicken comb goop that is clear and has the consistency of egg white. They say it could keep the pain down as much as 6 months. Just passing it on. My knee is better.

And the other thing is that I am proud of you katiebear because you seem to have learned to be comfortable in your own skin. I used to have to be drunk to do that. In fact, I discovered that I was doing things cold sober that other people had to be drunk to do...

So, with that confession, let me introduce myself a bit more to this group by saying I am now a 69-year old one year bride, with copd, pulmonary hypertension, sleep apnea, restless leg/plmd, currently wearing oxygen 24/7, and who's groom is developing one of the 60 different types of dementias, but who won't get a diagnosis, so I live in a tinderbox, and now I'm wondering who;'s the demented one... me for marrying him... or he for marrying me... (small attempt at humor there...)

Since moving to this little paradise up here in the golden corner of SC (one mere year ago) I have taken to gardening like the proverbial duck (albeit with a broken wing), and hubby has made every bird within 5 miles his personal responsibility. This is all good, and please God, thank you, people have built lives together with less.

I have been on the pet forum mostly but I like this group because I feel I am in good company, and Lordy knows, when he's on a toot, I need you guys.

I spend time on the Alz Message board because I am trying to learn how to deal with what's ahead.

I just got off a round of prednisone and antibiotics, and have been in that zone where empty carbs seem to be all that matter, but I hope this will end soon.

I love working puzzles if they aren't too boring, walking in the woods when my lungs will let me, and waterfalls. the pic is Twin Falls. I took it this summer. We are down to two dogs and one fish, and cooking has become a hit or miss deal for now and I don't know why. He is seeming to want to fix for himself and I would never want to interfere with that! lol I know it is a passing phase.

I'll say hi to Debra, 'cause she's the only one in this group I feel like I know. 'Nuf 'bout me.

Linny

Thumbnail by Linny1

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 18, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #8266740

Hi Linny and welcome,

This has become my most go-to forum as there's a lot of acceptance and humor and all that kind of good stuff.

Tony was reluctant to leave today until I assurred him that I really am OK. Just very low energy. Lots of old memories passing before me and, hopefully, vanishing forever.

I have some Christmas wrapping still to do but am letting myself be for now. The dogs are always happy to nap with me so we've been doing a lot of that. They didn't even complain about missing dinner the other night when I fell asleep at 5pm.

The strangest (for wont of a better word) thing is that Dana seems to think she can lay it off on Tom and not have it affect her relationship with me. Not possible. She is not a "little woman" who lets her husband dictate to her unless it's something not important to her - like me. Painful to accept but more painful to deny. For some people I seem to be a person who does not need to be treated well. Since this group includes most of my family it has taken a long, hard time for me to accept it and to stop hoping that it will ever be different. I am still hurting but I'm not pretending that it doesn't hurt and I'm not pretending that our relationship will ever be the same. We are still neighbors and I will continue to be a good neighbor.

I am overwhelmingly grateful for my friends who accept me, and even appreciate me, as I am. I'm too tired to drive right now so I'm especially glad I have all of you here.

Did I tell you that Tony's kids are help[ing with wrapping boxes of crayons and other gifts for the other local kids? They prevent me from closing my heart down.

It's another beautiful day here. Sunny and clear and about 60 F.

A few years ago an American neighbor took it upon himself to tell me that I was getting a terrible reputation in the neighborhood. One of my neighbors here is a Mexican policeman who speaks a lot of English so I went to him and asked him to tell me honestly if this was true. He looked astomished and said "no way." I am something of a hermit but I didn't think people disliked me and I believed him. The American neighbor was later paicked up by the police and sent back to Oregon where he is now in prison for child molestation.

I like my time alone and my time with Tony. I like my house and my land and my dogs. Many people here appreciate what I do and some of them appreciate who I am. As Rick Nelson used to say, "You can't please everyoe so you've got to please yourself."

Two Dg friends have promised to send me more cherimoya and starfruit seeds.

It's been a rough week. I'm glad I didn't withdraw and hide.

hugs all around, katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2010
3:50 PM

Post #8266867

Oh, Katie, of course it is about them! Been thinking about you. Did I mention that I started a thread on the Northeast Forum where I used to be a wild child. Apparently now I am definitely NOKD, because I've had no comments at all.

Hey folks, I've started dreaming again! I haven't dreamed for years ... no idea why or why not. Drugs/meds.

Welcome, Linny! This is THE best forum for folks who don't get anything done because it hurts too much! Linny, if you want to be on the list of names, just let me know, and welcome again.

For the first time in my life I bought gift bags instead of wrapping everything! I'm serious. This is a big step for a control freak like me.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 18, 2010
3:55 PM

Post #8266874

Linny!!!!! Hi! Welcome, I am so glad you jumped in. Katie and Carrie and Kay and Jim and Nadine and Vickie and Sheri are wonderful people to listen and commiserate and curse and shake your fist at the sky with. And even better to laugh with. :-)

Debra
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

December 18, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #8266946

Welcome to the thread, Linny. I KNOW thatís a tough situation. I just lost my mother to Alzheimerís. After listening to stories told by others in that sort of situation, I know now I was extremely fortunate. My mother was a rarity. Gentle and sweet-natured down to the marrow of her bones. Evidently she had no secret hurts or festering angers that revealed themselves once the veneer of rational control began to peel back. She forgot who I was early on, but she was the person I knew to the end. As more and more people share their own experiences with me, Iím beginning to realize what a blessing that was for my family.
The idea of dementia is scary to me now. I go off my meds from time to time to reassure myself that my own reduced mental clarity is the result of the painkillers and muscle relaxers I take for back pain. I worry that I will share my motherís fate and I havenít even turned 50 yet. :-) Next year.
Those here who have knee problems go for the wheelchair ramps as quickly as the wheelchair users do. I want to pass a law outlawing stairs and narrow doorways. :-)
Katiebear, I think you should cut your fat guy friends some slack. We should get to wear togas, as long as our bra straps show... (Jim)

Linny1
(Linny) Salem, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #8267423

"Welcome, Linny! This is THE best forum for folks who don't get anything done because it hurts too much! Linny, if you want to be on the list of names, just let me know, and welcome again.

For the first time in my life I bought gift bags instead of wrapping everything! I'm serious. This is a big step for a control freak like me.[/quote]"

Thanks for the welcome, Everybody. I really like that part about not getting anything done because it hurts too much. Carrie, what does it mean to be put on the list? Are you guys wanted, or something?

Speaking of pain, I am taking a serious step towards getting out. I am shopping for a portable therapy pool. Anybody ever used one at home? I'm on a p-nuts budget, but am very creative.

I'm dreaming too, but mostly about dying.

To my horror, dh bought wrapping paper INSTEAD of bags... anything I wrap looks like a 4-year-old did it. I guess I should be grateful he can still go out and shop by himself. He has really had fun buying toys and teddybears for his son's step-grandchildren. I plan to help him get ready to go today. Truth is, the sooner he is outa' here, the quicker I can get better. He won't leave for NC before about Tuesday, but I'm so slow it will take me that long to get things done. Then I am going to spend Christmas with my son's family in Athens. Hope it warms up enough to use the hot tub. Water is the only thing that has ever really helped me.

I have to go now and finish making a few Christmas cards before he wakes up.

Hope everybody feels good today.

Linny

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2010
5:55 AM

Post #8267448

Welcome Linny. I am on way to church so no time to write, but wanted to ackowledge you.
KatieB- I bet you can gues real quick who in your current commun ity is the class act ^_^

BirdieBlue/ Sheri

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #8268144

Linny, at the top of the forum is a list of our "screen names" and "real names." I am the only one who can add names to the list at the top maybe because I have the hardest time with names. Ha ha ha, are we wanted? Probably.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1103477/

I just went to visit my father in the nursing home with my 16 yo daughter and we stayed about 14 minutes. She's always been a little plump and battled her weight. He had a serious stroke 4 years ago and whatever thin veneer of niceness was on top got wiped out with the stroke. So the first thing he says is "you look like you're gaining weight, are you?" (She was wearing a very clingy outfit.) She said "no, actually I've lost weight." (which is why she had the guts to wear the clingy.) Well you LOOK like you're gaining weight! A. I understand why I felt ugly and fat until I met DH (who is #3) and B. my heart was aching for her. He was probably mad because it had been so long and didn't have a better way to express it but way to guarantee we won't go back for another 6 months! (It had only been maybe 6 weeks because I'd been sick.)
Linny1
(Linny) Salem, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2010
8:48 AM

Post #8269049

Would you look at the beautiful surprise hubby came carrying in the door yesterday. He found it at the dump. It is Capodimonte, and weighs more than 16 pounds!

It is chipped but not badly, and it has the markings on the bottom that could be reallhy really old.

What a great garden! Right in the middle of the dining room table.

Thumbnail by Linny1

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 20, 2010
9:17 AM

Post #8269069

It's beautiful, Linny. He done good. :-)

Debra
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 20, 2010
9:27 AM

Post #8269082

Wow. That is gorgeous.

katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2010
12:06 PM

Post #8269280

I guess he knows that gardeners like flowers wherever we find them! What is Capodimonte?

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2010
2:44 PM

Post #8269530

that thing on the table is one!

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #8269538

I found a similar one online. check out the price!!
Linny1
(Linny) Salem, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2010
3:02 PM

Post #8269558

Capodimonte is Italian porcelain or pottery (both). It goes back to at least Napoleon, but like so many other collectibles, the market has been destroyed by ebay. Since this piece is huge it would sell for 500-800 IF it was not chipped, but it is, so I don't intend to try to price it. Just enjoy it.

I will post what I found about the markings, just for anyone who is interested.

Stay tuned.

Glad you like it.

Linny
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2010
1:05 AM

Post #8270144

Hi Lenny. Welcome! I can already see you'll be right at home. What a great find.Our dump ground is closed to the public and we all lost a great source for flower pots.
Hey guys! Have you all forgotten that we're the granny goons and Jim is our keeper? ROFLO
Katie, Our familys and growing up situation was almost identicle. I was raised by my Maternal Great grand mother, Who hated all people, including me. My father and his rich family never stayed in touch with me, untill i graduated and had the local sherif track them down.They owned drug stores, music stores, banks.One uncle lived at the Stoneleigh hotel in Dallas Ever heard of it Debra? I'm the one who really disowned them, Tho i imagine they were releived. When my father died,They put in his obit. that we worked for the government. Which we did but were attached to the Army.It is so sad the tripe some people will do to look good when in fact What is important is what we gather up in our lives to be remembered by. I'd rather be remembered by being kind,A christian,and my ownself (who does'nt take herself too seriously.)
Anyway all of us here are who we are and proud of it by George.
Vickie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 21, 2010
1:52 AM

Post #8270156

Thanks, Vickie. It's 2:30 am. I slept a couple of hours and woke up. Still struggling with feeling not good enough but it's getting better.

Tony and I loaded the van with candy and toys. Dana has brought me a lot of stuffed toys. It's nice but doesn't ease the pain of rejection. I'm looking forward to Christmas as I do enjoy seeing all the kids. The big parties here are on Christmas Eve and there's often a lot of drinking. The kids and I have a sober Christmas day.

My ankle is still somewhat sore. Between that and my neighbors and the holidays I am very happy to be where I am. Tony continues to be a rock for me. The dogs are happy to be sleeping a lot and snuggling with them is great on these cold (for Mexico) nights.

If I'm feeling a bit better I'll go to town tomorrow. It's nice to see friends there and I can get some fresh orange juice.

Like Vickie, I'm coming out of a dark time but I've not been alone and that helps.

hugs, katie
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2010
2:04 AM

Post #8270158

Well Katie, Lets both hang in there. Kids surely make Christmas a pleasure. Hope you have a peaceful and blessed Christmas. I'm looking forward to hearing about your Christmas kid adventures.
Vickie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 22, 2010
11:29 AM

Post #8272581

Am still struggling. Thank goodness for friends who listen and dogs who snuggle.

I'm still feeling like I'd rather not be conscious but that will pass. My ankle hurts, my meds are being adjusted and all that.

I have been realizing that many of Dana's comments to me have had that superior edge that I shut out, denying that the do hurt. She has not been over and it should surprise no one that I haven't been over to see her. I have seen a few other friends.

My energy is very low. Not surprising with all that's going on. I did get most of the dishes done and a bunch of laundry too. As long as I'm feeling this way I figure I might as well get the sh.. work done. Grateful to have the energy for it.

It's quite chilly here and we've had fog the last couple of days. I got my electric heater out of the store room.

Thank you all for hanging in with me on this. It means a lot.

hugs all around, katie

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2010
5:47 PM

Post #8272976

I have to remind myself that people who have to beat others down in order to feel good/ superior are really saying / showing more about themselves than the person they are slamming. They are sad unhappy lonely often disliked people.
You are caring, sober, neat to have as a friend and a woman with many life experiences who enjoys nature and life!
Please crawl out of that den of darkness and chipper up! Christmas holiday time is difficult for many people. My Dr increased my Prozac from 30 - 40mg/day for the winter months.

Love ya {{{Hug}}},

Sheri
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 22, 2010
6:22 PM

Post #8273056

Thanks, Sheri.

I was just thinking about my experiences as a Child Welfare Worker. I'd had more education/training than most of the attorneys but I was treated with contempt by most of them and the parents of the abused children who were my clients. After all, I was "only" a social worker. People who want to feel contempt for others will always find a resason to do so, I guess.

Coming from the family I'm just grateful to have survived. I had three sisters (no brothers) each of whom wanted to be an only child. Awful.

In AA, I finally left because I couldn't take any more of being told how stupid I was by people who could barely add 2 and 2.

What I know for myself is that sometimes I'm quite smart and sometimes I'm really stupid. The thing is that I can never be sure when I am which. Kanowing this, I try to stay humble even though it is often difficult, being the superior being that I am.

I think I'm getting better. I thinnk of the AA people who considered themselves so much better than I and wish I could introduce them to Dana and Tom. They'd probably all get along fine, agreeing that I am stupid. Maybe, but I'm not stupid enoough to keep trying to get them to smarten up, even a little.

Tony will be here tomorrow and I hope we can get more presents ready for his family.

As I said to my neighbor Ron, after his third disparaging comment about my house, "You should realize that I serve the useful purpose of being a person to whom everyone else can feel superior." I think I need to have that on a T-shirt.

hugs, katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 22, 2010
7:00 PM

Post #8273115

Katie, that is a perfect answer. Show them their attitude isn't effective, that it's even amusing to you and they lose all power to hurt you.

This photo is from today. Hope it makes everyone feel just a little bit better.

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #8273124

What a lovely red rosebud.
I also remind myself that noone can hurt me (feelings) unless I let them. My peace and feelings of self worth are not based anymore on others opinion of me.
I know who created me and what a high price was paid.

Katie, I pray that this Christmas will bring you blessings and peace. All of the happy faces of the children that you bless says far far more than any of those snooty comments made by any 'adults'.

Hugs,
Sheri
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 23, 2010
8:26 AM

Post #8273688

In theory no one can hurt my feelings unless I let them In practice, when "friend" says to you "We had fifty-three people over for dinner last night. Would you like the leftovers?" I think if you are human you're going to be hurt. I feel what I feel and then it passses. If I'm lucky.

On this, with Dana, it is passing. I slept well again and Tony is here. Ii'm wrapping Christmas presents.

My ankle is still a little sore. I think by New Years I'll be ready to do some more work outside.

Tony and I compare notes on our "friends" and just shake our heads. A good friend of his borrowed a considerable sum of money a couple of months ago - about two weeks' salary for Tony - because he was in desparate need. Hasn't paid any of it back. Tony and I just look at each other and shake our heads. At least we know it isn't American or Mexican - it's just some people. NOKD.

Happy Holiday Hugs all around,
katie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 23, 2010
8:48 AM

Post #8273710

Great news> I found my purse!!! It had gotten buried in the Christmas stuff in a storage box. Hurray.

katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 23, 2010
9:18 AM

Post #8273744

Yea! Now THAT is a Christmas present. :-D
Linny1
(Linny) Salem, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2010
10:00 AM

Post #8273795

Joy to the world. - Linny

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2010
10:36 AM

Post #8273848

Thank God!! I was hoping that it had gotten mixed in with all of the Christmas goodies didn't mean that we don't "get our feelings hurt", of course when people don't live up to our expectations or give a back stabbing demonstration, using your back, that one wouldn't feel hurt.
When I read your entry, Katie, it sounded as if you were stuck in that mode and I just wanted to give you a gentle reminder. If it offended you, please forgive me. I'm sure you know that I care for you very much.

{{{Hugs}}},

Sheri

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 23, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #8273883

No problem, Sheri. I know you care a lot.

I'm absolutely manic since I found the purse. All my documents are in it. I had cancelled my ATM card but BofA is sending me a new one here and my credit is excellent here so I'm set.

Wrapping presents and being happy.

In regard to my neighbor, I was remembering a couple of years ago when Shaq oneil and Kobe Bryant were kind of sniping at each other. There was an interview with Kobe in which he moaned about not having gotten along well with Shaq. Someone showed it to Shaq. His response was. "I'm buying Christmas presents for kids. I don't have time for Kobe." Or words to the effect. Words to live by.

hugs, katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2010
11:59 AM

Post #8273958

YAY for your purse!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 23, 2010
12:44 PM

Post #8274017

Katie, I have this in my office.

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 23, 2010
12:53 PM

Post #8274025

Thank you, Debra.

I want like that that also says "or whether I wore a bra."

I'm getting over it. Who woulda thought of Shaq as role model in this.

katie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 23, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #8274081

Her's a Christmas story from a few years ago.

At my last stop we were quite low on candy. About a dozen kids gathered around. One boy who was probably about eleven and good-sized edged his way to the front and was right next to me ready to get his candy. I whispered to him that we didn't have much left and before I could even ask him to he jumped back and let the little kids go first. I still tear up when I think about his generosity.

katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2010
5:20 PM

Post #8274343

Very sweet.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2010
11:15 PM

Post #8274650

Katie, I remember the burn your bra era. I told everyone i burned all of them.
Bare in mind just why are these men paying so much attention to your Bxxbs? I MEAN R-E-A-L-L-Y!!!! LOL

I loved the little boy. He had been taught to share.What gets to me is these little kids that pull a temper tantrum in Walmarts for candy.
Glad you found your purse.
Now i have to admit i've lost my lower teeth. Really!! I can't find them anywhere.I don't wear them unless i need them. So who knows where they are. I have a bad habit of wraping them in a paper towel till i get to the kitchen.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2010
12:36 AM

Post #8274666

My Christmas card for you.
Whatever else be lost among the years,
Let us keep Christmas still a shining thing;
Whatever doubts assail us,or what fears, Let us hold close one day,remembering Its poignant meaning for the hearts of men.
Let us get back our childlike faith again
-Grace Noll Crowell

The marketplace in Reinteln, Germany. It looks like a Christmas card. Since it's a live webcam It shows both daytime and night time.

http://webcam.prorinteln.de/bewegt.php

And on the lightside
The Supreme Court has ruled that they cannot have a Nativity scene in Washington D.C.
This was'nt for any religious reasons.
They could'nt find three wisemen and a virgin
Jay Leno

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2010
5:51 AM

Post #8274853

I'm not a Leno fan, but that's pretty good, Vickie!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 24, 2010
8:54 AM

Post #8275100

Tony just left with a car full of presents. I'm laughing because one of things Dana said to me to justify her behavior was along the lines of "You know you're a little weird." I'm laughing because some presents are wrapped with paper and duct tape (I couldn't find any other tape though I know I have lots - sopmewhere). Others are wrapped with fabric and safety pins - lots of sewers in Tony's family. One box of towels - marked for "everybody" - is also wrapped in a towel and closed with safety pins. Lots of the presents are from thrift shops. Not everyone gets something every year. The kids get the best stuff. I am really weird.

Tomorrow I will don my Santa suit and make my rounds with candy and toys. I like giving the lie to all my relatives (most now dead and GONE) who thought holidays were an excuse to get drunk and try to make everyone else as miserable as they were.

Christmas hugs from kids are the best. Hugs from me are almost as good.

hugs, katie

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2010
9:16 AM

Post #8275152

Oh Katie, ...I bet hugs from you are wonderful. Because you hug with your heart too, not just your arms!

Sheri

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2010
9:18 AM

Post #8275162

If any of you care to see how Dogwood has grown, here is his updated site. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1146254
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 24, 2010
10:32 AM

Post #8275266

Just back from my first Santa round. I took my friend Lee who does a lot of animal rescue work a couple of books, nicely wrapped. She looked a bit stricken until I assured her that my presents are of the thrift shop variety and do not need to be reciprocated. I also gave her and her husband a blue bottle hummingbird feeder. Weird old me doing my thing. Took lemons and grapefruit to my friends who have restaurants. Nobody was at either place. I left the fruit; they will know who it's from. I have one of the only yellow lemon trees in the area and it's producing abuntantly right now. I take some to my friend Saul for his store and they always sell out immediately.

Here is another Christmas story:

Whe Tony's daughter Barbara was two-and-a-half her mother, Fely, worked for me on Saturdays. Being two, Barbara was going through the fear of abandonment stuff and midway through the morning Fely would get a tearful phone call from Barbara, wanting to be reassured that Fely would be coming home.

One morning in December the phone rang as I was going outside and I told Fely to answer it as it was about time for Barbara's call. When I returned to the house later Fely was laughing. It seems that when she answered the phone it was Barbara but instead of tearfullly asking if her mother was coming home she asked in a fairly grown-up way if she could speak to me. They went back and forth as Fely explained I was outside and Barbara insisted she wanted to speak to me. She finally agreed to give her mother the message for me: "Tell Katie I want to borrow a Christmas video."

She got several.

katie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 25, 2010
8:27 AM

Post #8276296

Merry Christmas, all.

It's chilly here this morning so I shouldn't sweat too much in my Santa costume. The van is loaded and I'm excited. Well, as excited as I can be while still mostly asleep.

Time to wake up and make my rounds.

Everyone have a wonderful day.

Peace.

hugs, katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 25, 2010
9:27 AM

Post #8276343

Tell us the story when you get back home, Katie. :-)
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 25, 2010
11:16 AM

Post #8276454

Wow. What a morning. I was gone less than two hours - enough to exhaust me. And exhilerate. I am so high.

As usual, the voices in my head assurred me that it was going to be awful. "No one appreciates it," my grandmother used to tell me when I got excited about making Christmas presents. Well, she should have lived in Mexico! Lots of kids of all sizes and shapes. I stopped at the army post up the street and a couple dozen soldiers came out to get candy and take pictures. Kids appear out of no where. Hugs from lots of them. They are so happy.

I have a route that I follow from year to year so many of the kids know to watch for me. There are also those who are driving by in cars or beach buggies. The looks of surprise on the little ones are just wonderful. For them it's incredibly magical that Santa finds them and has presents for them. There are people/organizations that have parties for the kids but I really enjoy the spontenaity of what I do.

I went to Tony's house. His daughter Babbara and a friend were waiting for me and we went to the rancho where Fely's parents live now. There were about thirty people ther. All ages. Everybody got candy and stuffed animals. Lots of the older women like to get a stuffed animal. I can relate. I have a few of my own. I got my picture taken with the Santa pinata and a large group of kids.

The best (maybe, it's hard to say) was when Antonio opend his last present. I had given him a set of computer repair tools which were his gift with all the other family gifts so he was not expecting another. I had also told Tony that my car repairs were expensive so he was not expecting anything more. Everyone gathered around as Antontio opened his new laptop computer!! Such excitement. Big hugs. This is a major present and they all know it and everyone was so happy - I got a round of applause and someone took a picture of Antion and me and the computer. Lots more hugs and whispered "thank yous" and I headed for home.

Saw and stopped for a few more kids on the way home.

It was wonderful.

hugs, katie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 25, 2010
11:20 AM

Post #8276459

Lest I forget I want to express my overwhelming gratitude to all of you for helping me through the rough time that happened earlier this week.

Without your love and support I would not have been able have such an unblemishedly wonderful time today.

katie

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #8276724

I believe that God can turn anything into a blessing.
I am so very happy that you had such a wonderful experience today Katie. You obviously bring much love and are cared for by many of then people down there, especially the children.
There's some saying about "out of the mouth of babes..." anyway is is that the truth can be heard from them. Their laughter and wide eyed joy hopefully showed you just how very special you and what you do are to the people of your village.

Merry Christmas hugs,

Sheri
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2010
12:36 AM

Post #8278244

Katie, You are such a special person.Thank you for sharing this special time. You do realize that these people are your family in a way your biological family could never be or realize and they are so much poorer for it,and you are so loved by your special family and you deserve it.You are rich Katie bear.Again thank you for sharing, It made me feel warm and fuzzy.
Vickie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 27, 2010
10:30 AM

Post #8278907

We are having a quiet day here. Tony just left. Ii've had a mild stomach ache so I've been lying down.

Tony thanked me again for all the presents, especially the computer. Antonio asked after I left if Tony had known about the computer and he said no, it was a surprise to him, too. I have trouble keeping happy secrets so I'm still kind of giggling.

In regard to my neighbors something has occurred to me. Dana wants to blame Tom for not wanting me there because I don't wear a bra. She also wants to blame me - told me in a patronizing tone, "You so know you're kind of weird." It's like having my mother back. She would blame my father for things and she would blame me but she was always sure that there was never any blame attached to her. The innocent between two weirdos. They say the universe keeps handing you the same situations until you learn to deal with them. I hope I've learned this time. My jaw is sore from having clenched my teeth so hard while getting through this.

I'm sorry to be on "walking on eggs" terms with people I tried to be friends with. I also cannot see myself moving to be more friendly with people who would treat me so badly. Not out of pride, but self-respect.

I'm still thinking of one little girl, about two or three, wo was with her mother in a dune buggy. The little girl was so wide-eyed at seeing "Santa." Just seeing her would have made it all worth while. Also, getting hugs from boys wo are eight or nine - old enough to resist hugs from relatives, but they have big hus for Santa.

I am lucky to live in a community where my abilities are a good match for the community.

Tony's son Antonio, who got the computer, is very smart and all the family members are aware of this. He is also very responsible. The happiness he had with his gift was shared by all the family members.

My cup runneth over.

hugs, katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 27, 2010
10:37 AM

Post #8278918

We could all go down there, stand in a line and ask her to define "weird." Betcha that anything she comes up with will be reflected in something she is or does herself. :-)
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 27, 2010
10:48 AM

Post #8278926

Thanks, Debra. I think she feels defensive about treating me badly but she'll have to make amends better than by calling me names. Anyway, I am weird. And darn proud of it. She spent Christmas with her husband and whatever friends are good enough for them while I was out being Santa. I'll take my kind of weird. And revel in it.

katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 27, 2010
11:28 AM

Post #8278983

Weird by any other name is... 'unique'
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 27, 2010
11:30 AM

Post #8278990

besides, who wants to be normal, whatever that is. Ozzie and Harriet? I always thought they were obnoxious. The Cleavers? Ugh, what a bratty family. Now, Gomez and Morticia Addams? Them's my kinda peeples.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #8279637

Katie, that's wonderful wonderful! Like seeing a picture of my new step-grandson (6 mos old) playing with the toy I ordered from Amazon. My husband was too busy to remember that he had another grandson besides the BRAND NEW grandson. They live in Utah and the father (my husband's firstborn) is a music teacher (highly paid - NOT) and his wife stays home and the third child is hearing-impaired and I wanted to make sure each of them had a gift. (DH got the oldest, his first grandchild, a $100 Lego toy!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

December 28, 2010
2:22 PM

Post #8280920

I loved the Lego building blocks I got for my sixth Christmas! (I thought I was lucky to get one of those $30 or so cannisters of them.) I can still remember them. I didnít understand why mine were pink, white, lavender, light blue and baby yellow while the little boys I played with had red, bright blue, caution-sign yellow, black and gray ones. At least, someone understood girls liked building things with Lego blocks too. I donít think I was an ungrateful child, but if I had gotten one more Barbie doll for Christmas, I would have screamed. ~N~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2010
8:44 PM

Post #8281413

I did'nt get many toys. My most prized possessions were always books from other relatives. I did have some toys and a couple of dolls.I mainly invented my own toys outside tho.I was a wild feral child with a wild imagination.LOL Still am.Tho now i tend to avoid the cold.
I loved the Nelsons but also loved the Gomez famly too.Morticia was a true lady.Thing was a treasure.
The girls were tomboys too. They had a couple of dolls but they liked outdoor stuff too.At 14 DD#1 was a dead shot.DD#2 was a fisherwoman.
LOL i work very hard not to be normal.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 28, 2010
9:13 PM

Post #8281433

Oh, good, another weirdo.

katie
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2010
9:20 PM

Post #8281438

And proud of it!!!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 29, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #8281861

For three or four years in a row, all I wanted for Christmas was a Wedding Doll. All dressed up in veil and lace. All pretty and nice and clean. Got one the Christmas in this picture (think it's been posted in another thread, but I like it) I was almost four. My sister got a play broom and dustpan that year. Well, it WAS 1959. :-) The funny thing, though, is that she is the world's WORST housekeeper. Just doesn't care about it at all. And me? I was married in 1985, divorced in 1987, and only once even THUNK about doing it since. All my siblings have been married at least three times each. Who knows what happened there. That let's me fit into the weirdo category, too, doesn't it? LOL

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 29, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #8281894

OK, you are officially a weirdo. The more the better. Does anyone else remember McCarthyi. Or the pod people.

The dogs and I had another good sleep. I hurt my jaw clenching it last week and iti's still a little sore. My ankle is sore but only when I put weight on it. Poco poco, as we say here. Thank goodness for Tony coming every day. The value of a steady caring influence in my life is beyond words.

Being as I'm soing better not moving around too much I am sorting through my junk jewelry and boxes of miscl papers and stuff that I haven't gotten around to in ages. I have to keep reminding myself that between the physical problems (even though minor) and the depression that, like so many, I have this season I need to just get on with what I can do and not worry about how I feel. Feeling, like the weather, change as they will and often there's nothing to do but keep on keepin' on.

I think I'm not so much depressed as low energy though it's hard to tell the difference. Between chronic pain and tiredness depression sneaks in there. I think of Tony, who hs been working long hours at least six days a week since he was a teenager and I remind myself my life ain't so bed. He, in turn, is happy to have a boss who leaves him to work on his own, never complains about his work and exchanges "than you"s with him at the end of each day. We both feel very lucky.

The dogs are always willing to sleep a little longer than usual and they like to cuddle, keeping me warm on these chilly nights.

We have all survived another Christmas. We'll probably all make it through New Years as well. I have some empty storage totes that I can start filling up with new junk.

What a life.

hugs, katie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 29, 2010
9:10 AM

Post #8281905

I was just struck by a funny thought:

One of the nice things about being a weirdo is that I can't reject anyone else because they are "weird," whatever that is. I try to avoid people who are selfish or mean-spirited but "weird"? Some of my best friends are weird. There's enough white bread in the world already.

kb
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

December 29, 2010

Post #8281969

I seem to recall a lot of headless Barbie dolls among Nadine's toys. Wouldn't that make her like "Wednesday" and her Marie Antoinette dolls? (Jim)

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2010
11:51 AM

Post #8282187

OK Jim...I don't gt it. What does Marie Antoinette have to do with Barbie? & Who's Nadine?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 29, 2010
1:07 PM

Post #8282314

It would, Jim. And Wednesday was very smart and creative, too, so that's REALLY like Nadine! :-)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

December 29, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #8282412

I'm Nadine. Seacanepain's weird-and-proud-of-it god-daughter. Haven't been on this thread in a while. I think Wednesday was the daughter on "The Addams Family". She played with a headless doll she called her Marie Antoinette doll. If I am Wednesday, wouldn't that make Papa Jim like Uncle Fester. Grandpa Smith did tell me stories about his blowing things up and accidentally setting fires when he was a kid. He wanted to work for NASA and design spacecraft when he grew up. . His Dad says he is lucky their house and barn survived his rocket scientist phase.
For the record, Barbie's head used to come off and go back on easy and it was easier to change their clothes with their heads off, then put the heads back on. I grew up in the 80's so Barbie, of course, had the fashionable 80's Big Hair. I guess she's had many looks over the years. Mama Kay had a Barbie from the 60's. She had shoulder-length brown hair, bangs and the tips of the hair sort of curled up. ~Nadine~

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #8282967

I had one of the first Barbies...1958 maybe. She has long blond hair in a poney tale and her arms and legs did not bend. My moma & granma made lots of little outfits for her. then I got a Ken doll and soon grew out of the doll playing stage. I think Ken got me interested in boys!

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2010
11:21 PM

Post #8283074

It always bothered me Ken didn't have realistic hair. They should find a way to give that guy some "real" hair! :-)
Hope you're still around, Linny. We really do talk about gardening sometimes. Right now, Debra's pics keep me going. It's been unusually cold here.
Katiebear, Nadiís dad was a student of Scottish history and the Gaelic language. He told me once the original Scottish meaning of ďweirdĒ was a person who sought to control their own fate. Someone who didnít accept the destiny the world gave them. You donít have to go very far back in history to the time when people believed that the only way to change oneís fate was through supernatural intervention so the word weird came to mean eerie, uncanny or something supernatural. Very recently, it came more often to mean something that disturbs our sense of what should be. I try very hard to teach the troubled people who come through Amargia to be weird in the original sense of the word. If that makes them weird by the current definition, so be it. It is worth an occasional emotional bruise or even outright rejection to be at the rudder of your own life. . Your neighbor sounds like just another mindless leaf in the stream. Your polite, but distant approach does sound like the best course. It is a pain to be on bad terms with a neighbor. I have one that is very difficult. I hate everything about him from his violent temper to the way he treats his animals. I will deal only with his wife or step-daughter. It has been a long time since he and I have had words, but it is still a joke. People approach me when Iím working in the garden by announcing their names and that my neighbor is not in their company. Itís a joke because I once slung open the door and verbally laid into my neighbor without giving him a chance to speak. (Jim had been unfailingly polite and controlled and it hadnít worked. I wasnít going to let him verbally batter Jim again. I thought my neighbor was a crude, rank amateur when it came to verbal abuse. I decided to show him how a pro did it). It wasnít my neighbor at the door. It was a police officer come to investigate the disturbance One of my more embarrassing A.B.A.P.I.T.A. moments. (Ainít Blindness A Pain In The Anatomy) :-) Thankfully it was an experienced police officer with a sense of humor. He let me rant until I ran down and realized there was something wrong.
This neighbor and I NEVER got along though. I didnít have to deal with feelings of betrayal. I imagine that is tougher. I donít suppose you canít just avoid dealing with her in future? Or, at least, until the emotional bruising has a chance to heal? Your Santa gig sounds like a blast.
The only real definition for "normal" is a setting on the washing machine.
Kay*

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2010
2:47 AM

Post #8283114

LOL Kay, Jim has told us about your ability to get to the heart of a matter.Way to go girl!!!! It would be so-oo-oo dull to be normal.
I let things go and let them go.Than i explode.Not a good thing. I go round and round with our Forest Service head about our road.She is a witch.
Got another seed catalog today,from White Flower Farm. They are too expensive but i love the pics.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 30, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #8283231

Love the line about "normal." I laughed out loud.

I have just not been going over to see the neighbor and she hasn't come over here. We have a fair amount of space between us so it's not hard to do.

It is the feeling of betrayal that's hardest to deal with. I don't think she is really stupid and I can think of several ways she could have handled the situation other than telling me about the party the next day and offering me the leftovers. That smacks of nastiness and a deliberate attempt to "keep me in my place." I think Birdie really touched on the issue when she said I am the only person who can make me feel bad. Unfortunately, I seem to draw afair number of people who seem to want me to feel bad. I could regard it as the big challange of my life. It is a lot of why I am so grateful to have Tony in my life. He thinks I'm just fine.

My father had problems with depression and alchohol and he was endlessly negative about me. My mother would assure me it was his problem but alos give me part of the blame. She never took any responsibility. Guess what? The same as my neighbors!! Isn't it funny how that works.

I've been getting through it. I don't want to wallow in it but I'm also not going to pretend it wasn't very painful. Hard to walk that line.

Today, I woke up a little before seven and basically said "enough of this." Got up and dressed - with breaks to play morning games with the dogs. Don't know what I'll do today but I'll find something. Probably outdoors when it warms up a bit.

Don't let the b...ds get you down,

hugs, katie

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2010
2:53 PM

Post #8283859

I canít take credit for that line. I borrowed it from Whoopi Goldberg. K*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2010
7:32 PM

Post #8284264

Whoopi G and Dolly Parton have more than their share of good ole common sense.

My Gmother was always totally negative about me. When i think about it, She never said a good thing about me ever. But thats alright i had about 3 teachers and a librarian who did. I had all the wild things and the stars and the universe that loved me. What else could i have asked for.
Katie, You've got the ocean to love you and whales too. And US.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 31, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #8284778

Happy New Year, everyone.

I did my grocery shopping yesterday. I should be safe for the weekend.

Are any of you getting the storms? It is quite chillly here in the night and early morning but for us that means maybe mid 50's and it warms up during the day.

Lots of lemons and grapefruit and the tangerines on my n#2 tree are ripening. The #1 tree is done for the year.

hugs, katie

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 31, 2010
12:12 PM

Post #8285182

My family is extended proof that humor can be found in the saddest of occasions. Our brother had been in hospice care for a year and died yesterday about 10:00PM. He was on Morphine, Methadone, plus a few other narcotics and still in pain, so the release was a blessing for him. His girlfriend called my sister to come out because she was too upset to handle anything herself. So my BIL drives them to Hutchins (about 20 miles from where they live), all the authorities were duly called...and the same police officer that answered the call when my niece died in June answered THIS call. Even though it was her daughter and now her brother, my sister thought that was the funniest thing ever. She said the expression on his face was priceless. Well, I GUESS so!! LOL

Katie, it's supposed to get down to 25 overnight Saturday, but since the temps always warm back up into at least the 50s next day, no real damage has been done this year, except to the most tender plants (like my Coleus). A La Nina Winter, it is, it is. Happy we got more rain overnight, we're behind for the year. Don't know abut you, but weather extremes affect my mood drastically and I like having these mild seasons.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

December 31, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #8285781

The weather here has been having some wild mood swings. Snow flurries just a few days ago, but Kay worked outside in a tee shirt and shorts today. Upper-70s. Heavy rains expected tomorrow. Back down to below freezing by Sunday. Erratic even by the standards of this area.
Steak for dinner was our only concession to the holiday. Iím making my usual resolution about losing the extra lbs. You never know. I might actually succeed this year. :-) Iím looking at one of those one person, heated, therapeutic pools so I can exercise without so much pain. Going to the pool at the local college or the one on the military base is such a hassle, I donít keep my resolution to go.
Sorry to hear about your brother, Debra. Our prayers for your family. Question: Will that police officer who died in the line of duty you mentioned on the ďThankfulĒ thread be included on your website? (Jim)

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

December 31, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #8285823

Yes, she is there, Jim. :-)
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 1, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8287045

Happy new year, everyone.

I did some work down in the arroyo today. It's the first time in months that I've both had the energy and felt sure enough on my feet to do so. Didn't do a lot but I'mhappy to get started.

Getting caught up on doing the dishes and the laundry. Also, general clean up both in and out of doors.

It is good to be feeling better. I think the new medication is helping. Also, making it through the holidays.

This is our working weather. We have a few months when we can get some things done before the heat of summer sets in again and we go back into survival mode.

It's been c hilly and windy here today. Good weather for doing a little of this and a little of that..

Not mych news here. A good day to take it easy.

hugs, katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2011

Post #8287385

Debra, sorry to hear about your brother, but so many people don't understand that 'blessed relief' part of it. That part of you can actually be relieved that he died? Oh, I hope I'm not offending anyone, I'm just weird, and proud of it.

So many people said things like "ordinarily, we don't let people park here" or "most people just climb up these stairs" that I have decided I am clearly not ordinary; hence, I must be extraordinary!

DD#2 wants a Disney princess wedding dress from the Disney store in NYC. I hope it's a phase.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 2, 2011
6:48 AM

Post #8287918

Oh compassionate ones - a little support for your weird friend here. You know I mentioned that my jaw was very painful. I had kind of wrenched while wailing over my neighbor's nastiness to me. It has been very bothersome and I had no idea what was wrong or what to do. Then when I woke up this morning my ear popped twice. Then it popped again. I've no idea what happened but my jaw and ear are much better. Very weird.

I remembered another Christmas story. Tony started working for me in the fall about fourteen years ago. A person who had employed him previously told me that he would have Tony come to work on Christmas Eve and they would have a cup of coffee and he would then pay Tony and send him home. Knowing that Christmas Eve is the day of the big parties I told Tony a couple of days before that he could have all of Christmas Eve off. He hesitantly replied that he would rather have Christmas Day off. When I was able to stop laughing I said, "Of course you have Christmas Day off." It still cracks me up.

I'm up early again today and feeling pretty good. So happy my ear/jaw thing is better.

It's been quite chilly at night and in the early mornings so I finally brought in my little propane heater for when I'm at my puter. Yesterday was cold and windy and my house is very Mexican, i.e. lots of places where the wind can get in and not a lot of insulation. I don't leave the heater on when I'm' sleeping - the dogs have to cuddle with me and we keep each other warm.

Looks like another clear beautiful day in The Baja.

warm hugs, katie

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 2, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8288041

Katie, I am glad you have Tony. And glad that you are feeling so much better. Doing even simple things seem enormous when you feel poorly. I have a small pier-and-beam frame house that could use more insulation, too. Although there is still one of the gas wall heaters in the bathroom (which still works!) the previous owners put in Central Heat and Air. It helps to keep the winter out, but the thermostat is kept between 60 and 65 degrees because of fuel costs. I have five layers on the bed and two to three dogs sleeping with me each night. We stay toasty!

Enjoy your day!!

Debra
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 2, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8288055

Thanks, Debra. It has been all I could do to keep up with feeding the dogs, laundry and dirty dishes. Tony is good about keeping the plants watered and leaves raked up when I'm not doing well.

I am competing against 749 other people for a $10,000 seat in the WSOP this afternoon. Got to get my game face on.

Cooking hamburger, chicken and rice for the dogs. I suspect it would cost me a lot more to heat the house than it does to feed them.

I took half tablets of Wellbutrin for a few days along with Prozac. I seem to be tolerating it better. I am also careful to take it with food (not a real sacrifice, I must admit).

katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 2, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8288064

Go kick butt, Katie!!!! :-D

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2011
10:50 AM

Post #8288309

You sound so much better, Katie!

Happy Everything to Everybody! Children (offspring) stink.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 2, 2011
11:02 AM

Post #8288325

Carrie, understand it completely and I, for one, don't find it offensive. It's reality. I'm relieved my brother, my niece, my mother, and my father are all no longer in pain, or fighting their addictions and mental illnesses that, in them, would never be cured. My sister and her grandkids are now starting to remember the real daughter and mom, and to forget the insane person who slowly took over her body the last few years until there was nothing left but the crazy one.

There is a reason God did not grace me with children. I am too much like my father and it would have been a real bad deal for any children I might have had. Watching my sister, I know it isn't easy and takes more strength and courage than I ever had, but that she has in abundance. You have my deep admiration, Carrie. :-)
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 2, 2011
11:02 AM

Post #8288327

Yes, I have definately perked up.

Remember that insanity is hereditary - you get it from your children.

kb

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8288408

Oh, I had forgotten, Katie, that explains a lot! Thank you, Debra. Your eulogettes (new word - like it?) are lovely.

Back to work on my article on Frankincense and Myrrh. Katie, do the locals celebrate 3 Kings Day by you in Mexico?
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 2, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8288435

Not much, I think.

I made it through the first third of the tournament, then my kings ran into aces. Next time.

kb

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8288766

WSOP? World Sink Of Pipe?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 2, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8288791

Poker tournament
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 2, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8288823

World Series of Poker, you goose.

kb

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8288976

Debra's birthday, Debra's birthday!

Do you actually bet money? Who's a goose now?
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 2, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8288987

Wasn't it Richard Nixon who said, "I am not a goose." Or something like that.

I pay a monthly fee and there are games for points and for money. I had to be one of the top four in a qualifing game to play today.

I won $15 in cash the other day but mostly I play to help keep my brain alive. Probably a futile hope.

kb
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 2, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8289211

Hey, it beats tatting! :-)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2011
9:02 PM

Post #8289370

Good Heavens!!! My friends have all lost it.
TATTING ,GOOSE,POKER?!!!! I will devinately stick to my trivial pursuit and answer questions like "Had you rather use someone elses toothpaste or clean up vomit?" I'll try to link to it but i think you have to have an MSN2 to use it.

www.quizland.com

This message was edited Jan 2, 2011 11:27 PM
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 2, 2011
10:00 PM

Post #8289403

Goose...crook, understandable mistake. Geese are BAD!!! I was feeding the ducks and geese at the pond and the geese got ticked off when I ran out of bread. They started homking at me and chased me off pinching me on the bum.
Uh-h-h, what is tatting? ~N~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2011
10:11 PM

Post #8289409

Wait till you have a banty rooster come after you! LOL
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 3, 2011
6:44 AM

Post #8289747

Geese can be really nsty. So was Richard Nixon. But geese don't use racial epithets. That we know of.

Another chilly day here.

I don't think the poker is working. My brain feels numb. Maybe it's just cold.

kb
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 3, 2011

Post #8290105

Tatting is a type of hand work like crochet or knitting. Only you use thick thread, usually cotton or silk. My great-grandmother used to make doilies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatting

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2011
9:53 AM

Post #8290110

Tatting is making lace! Read this article...
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1459/

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8290113

That Wikipedia site says tatting was 'NOT done before the 19th century, but I always understood if you were knitting or crocheting LACE to adorn a garment, then it was tatting, and fiddle-dee-dee about those shuttles. I'm off to light fires.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 5, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8293431

Good morning everyone,

My ear is still a little "off" but things are going OK. I have started clearing the last kitchen wall, getting ready to brownbag it. I am not rushing.

We are having our fall/winter/spring season. My apple tree has its first blossoms. There's lots of cirtus - lemons, limes and red grapefruit here. Friends have lots of oranges and I get fresh juice.

My neighbor has not been over and I am realizing how much her her criticism-disguished-as-jokes had been adding to my depression.

Found out yesterday that my friend Mel has just moved in up the road from me. He last house gpot 10 feet of water in the last hurricane. He is now on higher ground and within visiting distance. We are both kind of recluses but we really like each other. I'm happy to have him closer. Found out yesterday that he also a recovering alchoholic.

My pain/depression has lifted to the extent that I've been getting up early for the lst couple of weeks. I feel better when I do that though I'm usually done in by early afternoon. My ankle is almost completely better though I'm still being very careful with it.

We have cloud cover today so it's not as cold as it's been. Tony's car has died. There are regulations that keep Mexicans and Americans from driving cars that are registered to each other so I can't loan him my van. He has a motorcycle but it's cold for that right now. There's always something.

I want to be all better yesterday but I'm hanging in and hope all of you are doing the same.

hugs, katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8293483

I'm sorry you're still not feeling well but ,,, it sounds BEAUTIFUL! I haven't seen anything local and fresh in months. Apple blossoms, lemons, limes, grapefruit, oranges, fresh OJ (that's not $3-5 a glass). Buy Tony a leather suit and a helmet, boots, the whole ball of wax - up here people ride their motorcycles until there's snow on the ground. (We do, but you don't have to do anything I say.)

Of course I'm hanging in, what else can I do?
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 5, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8294047

Uh-h-h, what's a doily? Just kidding, but I do admit it wasn't that many years ago that I really wouldn't have known what one was. A very elderly lady from church showed me how to use one to decorate a cake quickly. You just lay it on top of the cake and sprinkle confectioners' sugar. When you carefully remove the doily, it leaves the pattern behind.
Hope things continue to improve, Kb. ~N~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8295159

Ummm, would ya'll go read my article for today and SAY something, please? DH says if I have to ask you, it shouldn't count, but still, what if I beg you?

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2011
9:45 PM

Post #8296513

One of us here checks out the articles almost every day and we know one another's favorite writers and particular interest. Whoever does the reading that day will make sure to tell the others what to check out in the weekly newsletter. (I read that anyway. Got to have my botanical word of the week. ) Don't hesitate to bring it to our attention if you think there is something special or timely. That was an article best enjoyed TODAY and an article by you is always special to us.
I gravitate toward the older articles. They are usually good and I haven't been around DG so long that I've read them all before. And, I could see how some, like "T'was the Night Before Sowing" and your latest could become like yearly DG traditions.
Nadine and I have been roasting marshmallow Peeps over candles. (Too wet for a fire outside tonight.) . (Marshmallow Christmas trees, actually, but they are still called Peeps.) Jim says he's a little worried about us, but they are good. We've decided to christen it Peeps Brulee. Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2011
11:33 PM

Post #8296590

Back again!!! Still so depressed. Am trying to clean,rearrainge the whole house. Slow work.Knees giving me problems. Will also try to get some nitro glycern tablets to help non serious chest and back pains.
Snow in forcast for Sunday.Looks like Debra may get it first.
Katie, pick a fresh orange for all of us and eat and injoy it for us.Glad you now have another friend you can injoy next door.
Carrie, Will go and look for your article. I do injoy those articles.
If i can find my bag of marshmellows, I'll roast one over a candle too.
My bare Christmas tree is still up cause I've been cleaning the front bedroom.Tomorrow it will come down. But i've said that before. Guess i could hang plastic Easter eggs on it and call it a big Easter tree.
Are we all still hanging in there?!!!
Vickie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 7, 2011
8:02 AM

Post #8297092

Vickie, glad you are posting. I have serious depression issues and sometimes there is just nothing to do but hang in. Please don't hide, though. I used to do that more and am still inclined that way, especially after things like what happened with my neighbor. I now force myself to post even when I want to hide.I find it really does help.

I think most of us here have problems with depression as it usually comes along with pain, especially chronic pain. It sucks. My new medication seems to be helping some but I often have to just get through it. If I can distract myself with a funny DVD or a good book I do that. Or play with the dogs. Sometimes I think of my father who was a depressed alchoholic judge and I can hear in DRONING, "I only want you to be happy." That usually get me to laughing. Wish you could here me imitate him. Think tof he most miserable person you know saying "I only want you to be happy" and you'll have an idea.

My neighbor went me a cheery email yesterday. "Haven't seen you in weeks. How was Christmas" etc. I swear I had smoke coming out my ears I was so mad. I knew it was best not to respond to her so I wrote to a couple of friends. One person wrote back - the neighbor is "goading you." It is the perfect description. It's funny how sometimes putting the right description to a situation can be so much help.. My neighbor thinks I'm not to bright and she needles me a lot. I didn't let myself see how much or how much it was hurting until the party thing came up. My blinders are off now. I will continue to stay away from her and if (when, I'd guess) she comes over her, she will see really dumb. "OH, we've just been busy." etc.

Tony's new word for today is "goad." He got it immediately. He's very bright and I think most people don't realize or appreciate that.

We've had cloud cover the last couple of days so it's a little warmer. Lots of birds around. Don't know if the are passing through on their way north but they're her in great numbers and making lots of noise.

I have a large stack of dirty dishes calling my name. I want to do them before I'm fully awake.

hugs, katie
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8299304

Katie, You have the right idea about when to do the dirty dishes.LOL I'll have to try that.
As for your neighbor...I now have a mental picture of her as a toad goading.That made me laugh. A big ugly toad goad!!!
You're gonna get thru this girl! Don't give her more importance than she deserves.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 8, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8299327

I love it - a goad toad.

My ankle is almost all better. I woke up at 5:30, feeling good and was down working with a pick and shovel in the arroyo when Tony arrived. We haven't worked together for a long time and it was fun. I only worked for a couple of hours. It's been months since I felt well enough to do some real physical work and I don't want to be too sore tomorrow.

I think things will work out with the neighbor. We won't be real good friends but there won't be any open hostilities. Right now I'm kind of enjoying knowing that she's got to be sweating my avoiding her. The good news is that it's no longer a big deal. At least as far as I'm concerned.

hugs, katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 9, 2011
11:07 AM

Post #8300684

Nadine, these pieces are tatting. My great-grandmother made the doily, a friend made the collar. Have them framed and hanging in my hallway.

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2011
11:40 AM

Post #8300760

Excellent examples of tatting, Debra, and very beautiful. I'm still wondering whether it's possibly true it could be just 19th and 20th centuries! I thought it was a way older custom than that.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8301384

It may have been given the name "tatting" and formalized craft that recently, but it is an ancient art. Bored seaman have been making knotted pretties for their wives, daughters and girlfriends as long as there have been bored and lonely seamen. And, those ladies have been picking apart how it was done and refining the process. I've never tatted, but I bet I already have the skills from netting. It is all done with the same knots I would wager.
My father couldn't walk for several years after an accident. He made fishing nets and little ornamental things sold to tourist on the beach to help my mother keep us afloat financially. He traded a pile of fish nets for several old outboard boat engines and that was the beginning of Sorensen Marine. A few years later, he was limping down the aisle at a convention of Chrysler Marine dealers to accept an award from Lee Iaccoca. Sorensen Marine had become the largest Chreysler Marine dealership in the SE. (Largest in volume of sales, that is. Physically, it was never more than a modest brick building in one corner of our property.) Tatting is not just a frivolous art practiced by elderly women in my mind. Knotting has always run the gammet from utilitarian to beautiful works of art.

Kay*
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 9, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8301609

That is neat looking, Debra. I may try something like that to keep my small motor skills. I've been making jewelry to do that. That can get a little expensive though, if you want to make stuff ladies will actually wear. I could start with netting and work my way down to smaller more elaborate stuff, if Kay is right about it being the same basic skills.
I had to get my nephew to solder some small electronic components because I was too shaky. Don't know yet if it is the meds or because the DDD has leapfrogged up the spinal column to the vertebrae that control arm movements. If it is part of the disease, I'm going to fight it tooth and nail. Whatever works. According to that Wiki article, netting has a long history of being used as a rehabilitation skill.
Neither Kay nor Nadi are much on jewelry, but ornamental nets are still classic home decor along the coast. Our living room and back porch both have a nautical theme. You see them used in gardens as well to give vines something to climb on. Thanks for the idea. (Jim)

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8302384

I used to enjoy Macrame. after obtaining a book on the subject, I proceeded to make what would best be called a 'sampler'. That was some 30+ years ago. It hangs on the wall in my hall. Unfinished to this day, a plastic bag at the bottom still holds the many strands of hemp or whatever type of twine I was using.

Sheri

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8302396

That's just what I was going to say, Sheri, MACRAME! Very useful for hanging pots of plants in windows.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2011
12:28 AM

Post #8303886

I made one! I made one! Way back when.Can't beleive i still don't have it.
Now i want to make a dream catcher, out of stuff i gather up myself in the woods.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 12, 2011
10:20 AM

Post #8306677

Good morning everyone. I've been to town and done what errands I can. Got my American car insureance payment handled. Am feeling a little less overwhelmed.

My ankle is sore again. I dont think I reripped the tendon but it hurts so I've got a brace on it and I'm going to lie down.

Wish all of you who are dealing with snow could be here. It is chlly but clear and beautiful. Lots of birds. I have two hawks nests visible from the west side of my house. They nest on telephone poles. We're working on the arroyo on the west side so I get to watch them. Had a fledgling hawk trapped in my back yard a few months ago. Fortunately it figured out how to get out. I was not looking forward to trying to work on or around a hawk.

My ear still hurts. My hands hurt. Various other aches and pains. I did a physical inventory this morning. Yuk. Doing what I can and letting the rest be.

hugs all around, katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8306792

Physical inventories are overrated. DH does one every night.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 12, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8306868

OK, I'll stick with saying I feel like crap.

katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 12, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8307172

a nice comprehensive term, katie. :-)

i envy you the hawks. love to watch them, they just stay too far up to get a good view. LOL

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 13, 2011
9:12 AM

Post #8308459

Good news today. When I did errands yesterday I visited the pharmacist Ruben and asked him about something for my ear. He gave me some drops. I used them yesterday afternoon. Didn't notice much change this morning when I got up but now (four hours later) my ear seems to be clear and there is hardly any pain left in my jaw. What a relief.

Tony and I worked on the arroyo Tomorrow we'll probably go to the dump to look for more discarded tires. The work is coming along relly well. Yesterday I also checked out a dump that is not far from my house. No tires but lots of palm logs if we ever get the energy to hook the trailer up. Maybe next week, I said to Tony. I seem to do well with the manyana idea.

For now, more ears drops and a George Carlin DVD.

hugs, kb
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 13, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8308523

Hi All,
Plenty of palm trees down here but they are shivering from the frosty nights that we have been having. Not good for my shoulders with rheumatoid arthritis as they can become very painful and my rheumatoligist told me not to do any lifting or high reaching so I hired a cleaning service to clean my quarters as I live with my son and DIL. Very happy I did because my bathroom, hallway and bedroom are immaculate just like it used to be when I was in better health and much younger. I'll have her come in every month to keep it that way. As for my tomato garden --- the cold snaps has taken its toll as I explained on the self contained thread as I do all in earthboxes (EB's) and they make my gardening much easier.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8309249

Hi, Tplant! Welcome back to the forum. Sounds like I need to re-think my plans for escaping this cold by heading down to St. Pete or Crystal River. I haven't got my Honeybell orange fix yet this year. Hope this cold didn't damage the harvest. Haven't been watching the news. I didn't realize the cold had crept down that far. Kay*
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 13, 2011
8:40 PM

Post #8309654

Today, the bossy-lady had us burning the front embankment to get rid of the stubble from the seacane (arundo donax, elephant grass, wild cane, whatever you want to call it.) Most of the names we use around here can't be repeated. The plan is that once we get rid of the stubble, we will be able to keep the embankment mowed down with pushmowers. (It is too steep for a riding mower. MK says any plant will die when it has used up the energy stored in its roots and it is not allowed topgrowth to replenish its stores. Hope she's right. That stuff grows and spreads unbelievably fast when it has access to even a little water. I can see why they hate it so in CA. It is incredibly flamable. Definitely not something anyone would want in a region that experiences periodic wildfires.
It barely got into the 40's today so it was a good time for that job. (Man, I got spoiled fast. In CT, I would have considered this a mild day.) ~Nadine~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8310311

The 40s sounds like the tropics from here, Nadine and other Southerners.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2011
10:36 PM

Post #8311315

We almost made the 40,s today.Think they did in town. Glad we don't have seacane.
Have you got snow over your windows yet Carrie?
Is Honeybell orange as good as it sounds? Up here we will die and steal for small Texas oranges which are always hard to find.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 15, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8311861

Would you believe we will be in the low 80's today? My poor tomatos don't know what to do? At least my arthritis is much better today as my shoulders don't like the cold. Funny thing, it doesn;t matter even if I'm indoors they still get painful. Crazy weather! I've been here about 35 years or so and don't recall weather like this. Oh well I'd rather be here than up north. BRRRRrrrr.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 15, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8312235

I know what you mean, Tplant. The back pain I experience always seems worse in the winter. Iíve even started carrying a back pad to church. The pew seats are padded, but the backs of the pews arenít. The wood feels cold on my back and makes the pain worse. High in the mid-50ís today. Supposedly, it will be back up in the 60ís by Tuesday.
All the wild cane on the embankment is cut down. We still have some burning to do though to get rid of the stubble. They manage sugar cane fields by burning them off. I see no reason it wonít work for wild cane. Once we are sure we have it under control, weíll plant fragrant tea olives and other small fragrant ornamental trees there with shade-loving ground covers.
Vickie, people call Honeybells oranges because they taste like oranges. They are in reality a cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit. People who love citrus claim nothing can compare to a Honeybell in a good year. They are the sweetest citrus I know of and so juicy they are messy to eat. You donít see them much in stores because so many growers sell them direct, shipping them to Honeybell addicts like Kay. They seem to be more weather sensitive than most citrus. Iíve never had a bad Honeybell, but they are dramatically better in some years than others. Citrus aficionados talk about ďthe 2009 Honeybells, the way wine connoisseurs talk about a 1992 Leonetti Merlot. lol. They are good, but I also think someone in FL came up with a very good marketing strategy for them. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8313728

80s!! Oh my! It's warmer today here today, above freezing and all the icicles are having a drip fest. There was a HUGE one right outside the bedroom window, like at least 1 foot across and 2 ft long, that fell. DH said he could have been killed if he had been out doing garden tasks for me. A.It's not an area that need any "garden tasks" right under the gutter and B.He hasn't done a 'garden task" in I can't remember when. Very funny.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8313841

Garden tasks with as much snow as MA has had.?.
I remember as a kid wtching those big icicles fall off into the snow. We lived in Ithaca, NY for 2 1/2 years. I was almost 7 to 9 years old.
That first winter was a real shocker for this girl from San Diego & Coranado, CA!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8314083

Sheri, he doesn't even do garden tasks when the weather is great!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2011
11:42 PM

Post #8314541

Sounds like my SIL. He is pure helpless outside.
I tried roasting a bite of hotdog over a candle. Did'nt work so good. Was drippy and smelly. Guess only marshmellows work.Cheese is out. Know that'd make a BIG mess.
I hear you about the arthritis hurting indoors. It gives me fits in the winter. Knees and hips are the worst.And now my right wrist.
Those Honeybells sound like something special. I've never been a grapefruit lover.Tho if someone offers me one i accept it.
Vickie
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 17, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8315161

Meanwhile my rheumotoligist gives me a shot in my shoulders seperated by two weeks apart and injects the other shoulder. I also take an anti-inflamatory called diconflex or something to that name but now he has to change me to celebrex as there are some side effects. It has worked very well for me all these years. I hope celebrex does the same? I buy all the medication that my insurance pays very little, from Canada. Thirty capsules here costs $160 while 100 from Canada costs $58. The same holds true for my plavix, lexpro and nexium. Hope this helps some of you. They are all generic with my doctors approval as he buys some of his meds from Canada also!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2011
9:22 AM

Post #8315197

We have a fireplace that we never use - I wonder if the damper is closed? DH has come down with sciatica - well, with sharp pain all down one leg radiating from the hip. I told him it was called sciatica and he said thank you Dr. Lamont. Hey, it's a description of pain radiating down your leg. I don't know WHY he has it?

Tplant, are you getting cymbalta for pain or mood? I got it for a while as an antidepressant that would ALSO take my pain away. Didn't do that, but I think MS pain is different. It's all nerve pain and no real pain from injury or damage.

Btw, Tplant, welcome, if I didn't say so before, and do you want to be on the screen names = real names thread that's stickied at the top of the forum?
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 17, 2011
12:22 PM

Post #8315571

Vickie, looks like we'll have to scratch the "Secrets of Candle Cuisine" book. Darn! Well, at least we still have our marshmallows to get us by until we can return to our fires outside. I'm lobbying for an outside fireplace nearer to the house. One of those terra cotta looking ceramic "chimineas" would be good and they are affordable. (If I can come up with a plan that will fit it into the area where the garden sink is , I might be able to sell the idea to MK. That's in the corner of the Cando container garden! How appropriate. lol. Everyone keeps telling me how good grapefruit is when you're trying to lose weight, but (YUK!!!) they are so bitter. . I WILL eat Honeybells IF I can talk MK into sharing her stash. :-)
Lexapro seems to be the doctor's choice when Depression manifest mostly as energy and sleep problems. (MK and I are both on Lexapro.) If you have neuropathy and you need an antidepressent, it might be worth your time to ask your doctor about Cymbalta, Tplant. If you can tolerate it and it doesn't clash with any of your other meds, you would have one medication doing double duty. Papa Jim takes it to control Depression and the shooting pain in his legs. He does still have sleep issues, but that might just be from back pain. Does the Celebrex really help? The arthritis in MK's knees appears to be getting worse. I hope that is just the cold. ~Nadine~
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 17, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8315595

Thank you, Dr. Nadine. LOL. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8315710

I'm afraid DH is getting DDD too. He's been limping (ha ha) along on Tylenol, Tramadol and Aleve. And whimpering what if the pain is this bad for the rest of his life? I keep telling him, he's only begun to scratch the surface of pain meds. (I know because I'm taking a lot of them.) Yesterday I gave him 200 mg of my gabapentin [never share prescription medications folks!] and he did get relief - and sleepiness, but at least he knows that there is such a thing as a pain med that might work.

I'm not a real doctor; I just play one online!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 17, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8316076

ROFL!!!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2011
12:46 AM

Post #8316518

Hey! Don't knock it! Sometimes we're the best doctor there is for our health problems.Having said that, Please do go and see your doctor. But also know your alternatives.
I take generic prozac for depression. I can't afford the real thing. I take generic everything. I was getting my meds from Freds but they've gone up in price so I'll probably switch over to Walmarts.
I had visitors at midnight tonight. Two deputy sherrifs. They were looking for my grandson. I told them He would'nt come here as he had forged some of my checks. Found out later that was what they were looking for him for.
Guess they did'nt have anything else to do.I was not impressed.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8317545

Midnight! That was melodramatic of them. I bet you had a hard time getting to sleep after being rattled like that and sleep is a valuable comodity when you have depression. My eldest has given me more than a few sleepless nights. The winter blues have finally got their claws into me. It has hit me much later this year. That is good. Optimisticly, there is only a month of real winter left. (Carrie, are you serious about that article "If the World is Getting Warmer, Why Is It So Cold?" I would be interested in reading that.)
Some of the spring bulbs and the red clover will put in their appearance late next month. I've been searching out more plants for winter interest and finding more fragrant ones. There are fragrant types of camellias and azaleas, but they tend to bloom later, than their non-fragrant kin. For the earliest blooms, I've been focusing on things associated a little more wit the north like witchhazels and spicebush. Finding out which cultivars have the best chance of surviving our summer heat and then locating them should keep me busy for these last few weeks of winter.
Jim is painting birdhouses and Nadine is drawing. Entertaining themselves by giving each other a hard time. A normal day, in other words. :-) Kay* . .
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 18, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8318056

last year was dramatic for me and family. my niece died, my brother died, my BIL lost his job, and my gentleman companion of six + years decided we should 'just be friends.' guess the effects waited until now to sneak up and clobber me. :-) feeling pretty depressed, too, at the moment. but all of you are right. keep moving, and keep busy, and i will be better a bit at a time. so i am happy that was able to make myself crawl out from under the covers last week to cover the annuals and containers right before that bad-for-here cold came down. most survived because of it and that helps motivate me to do a little more. got a garden catalog gift certificate for birthday. been considering a viburnum carlesii and/or a cytisus 'hollandia' (pink broom). the broom is supposed to be fairly drought tolerant, which is great for here, but the snowball bush reminds me of my great uncle albert and great aunt minnie's house. they always had mini hershey bars waiting for us when we visited. and we got to run around out front in and through the half dozen or so huuuuge snowball bushes while we ate them. for the memories of that one, i might be persuaded to water. :-)

here is the single pansy bloom on plant right now (have buds developing, though) tis a cheery color, even though it seems to have been lunch for something.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8318101

The brave little pansy.Nadene needs to draw a picture of a brave lil pansy with a sweet face. LOL
I did get a little perturbed and no i did'nt sleep. I had to invite them in since it was cool and rainy. Life is still intresting. LOL
Kay and Debra, This is a bad time of the year. But Spring is just around the corner.I can almost feel a warm breeze and smell my wild violets.Hang in there.Gentle hugs for Debra and Kay and anyone else who needs them.
I sorted out some of my drawers and fixed my small desk with cloth organizers and clear plastic
covers.Now everything is at hand. When i sorted my silk flowers i did'nt know i had so many. I got them on sale at Hoppy Lobby one year. I need to get some more out in the living room.
I realized i mispelled Hobby Lobby, Thought it'd make you smile.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8319600

Kay, I really WOULD like to write "if the world is getting warmer, why is it so bloody cold?" but I was advised against it for the second time. I wanted to write it back in 2007 when climate change was a loony theory. Now even the Bush Gov't announced that global climate change was occurring. I guess I can write about "weather" or "snow" but not use the words global, climate, trend, warming, change or anything else "controversial." After all, I have a reputation as a garden humorist to maintain - this might not be all that funny. Seriously, though, snow on the ground in every state except Hawaii? People who think everything is fine and dandy think the snow is evidence AGAINST global warming (ssshh I said it) when in fact it's evidence in favor of at least, global climate change. But I just really like the title!

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8319887

I've never thought much about the typecasting among writers. But, a romance novel written by Issac Asimov would be a bit disconcerting. :-)
I'm probably desensitized to the "controversy" of global warming. There is, at minimum a letter to the editor on the topic every month in the science magazine I read. It feels like the debate has been going on in the pages of the magazine for years. Perhaps, that is what DG is trying to avoid. Even with the cool, academic code of behavior expected of people writing in a science magazine the debates get heated at times...and mired in dense, technical jargon.
It was a beautiful mild and sunny afternoon. I found tiny, adorable little blossoms on the tea olives and planted some unidentified evergreen ferns by the front door. With those, some stonecrop and some juniper the bed doesn't look so dreary. Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2011
5:53 AM

Post #8320230

Started a new thread. And as usual did somethng wrong. I can't get the other thread to come back here. What did i do wrong?
link here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1150352/
Thanks,
Vickie
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 20, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8320663

I think it was just that the final slash -/ was missing. ~N~
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 20, 2011
11:07 AM

Post #8320681

The first link worked OK for me.

I'm happy to report that mye ear is almost all better due to the antibiotics pharmacist Ruben suggested (we can get them here without a prescription). My torn ligament is almost all better but I may have bone spurs on the same foot so I'm still not pain-free but are any of us? Hey, that's why I'm here.

Tony stayed home yesterday with a gall bladder attack. I had the best day I've had in ages which means I was out of bed and moving around and even managed a trip to town. Got two flannel nightgowns almost all cut out. Slept in until 1030 this morning.

must finish cutting out the nightgowns. Seems nothing is where it should be and I am resisting the urge to putter rather than complete something.

Hope all of you are doing OK.

hugs, katie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Accessible Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
abled fighters dpmichael 13 Sep 28, 2009 1:31 AM
Gardening with a bad knee Bug_Girl 13 Aug 28, 2009 4:26 PM
"Enabled" vs. "Disabled" Gardeners Shirley1md 40 Apr 8, 2007 6:29 PM
a gardening poem debi_z 43 Jun 17, 2013 4:59 AM
pneumatic seat for gardening debi_z 31 Jun 30, 2009 2:48 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America