Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plant Identification: seaweed like fungus taking over driveway

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 12, Views: 270
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lummigirl
Lummi Island, WA

November 13, 2010
10:04 AM

Post #8209578

This fungus began as a small patch in our driveway a year ago. Since then it has begun to take over. It looks and feels like seaweed. No smell but is slimy dark green. When there is moisture in the air, it grows. When dry, it shrivels up and seems to disappear but only until the moisture returns. Now that it's the rainy season here, it's rapidly spreading. So far it is only growing in the gravel and not the flower beds. It's really alien looking. Do not know how to get rid of it, nor do I know what it is? Is it harmful if it reaches the flower beds? In the picture the fungus is all the dark spots.

Thumbnail by lummigirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 13, 2010
3:21 PM

Post #8209944

It's not clear to me, from your photo, what you are referring to... is it the small dark patches among the gray gravel?
gregr18
Bridgewater, MA
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #8210016

From what you've written about it (I can't really tell much from the picture either), it sounds like an algae. You could try getting a potassium soap (found in many commercial algae killers) and see if you can control the outbreaks with that.
Katlian
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2010
9:17 PM

Post #8233833

There was a thread about this a while ago. I'm not sure if this is the same stuff but maybe it's related.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1060531

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #8234046

baking soda and water sprayed on may kill it but you might have to apply it a couple of times.
JCalhoun
Saraland, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 28, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #8234123

Yep, looks like a slimy algea substance. Not sure if it's fungus or algea but I would think that a solution of bleach in a garden sprayer would work.
Kalpavriksha
Sarasota, FL

December 4, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #8243728

Better to use copper sulfate. Bleach will harm plants and mess with soil p.h.
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

December 4, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #8244201

I see this algae growth at one of the wholesale nurseries I use. They get huge slimy mats of the stuff, but that's mainly in the places that don't drain completely. Since they water twice daily, it can be a problem. If you can't get rid of it, I can check at the nursery to see what they do to try to control it. Copper sulfate should work.
nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2010
3:52 PM

Post #8244236

Copper sulfate will give concrete (and possibly certain gravels) a lovely aqua-green stain, too.

This message was edited Dec 4, 2010 5:52 PM

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #8244381

that's why i suggested baking soda. personally i love the aqua stain but not just in one spot. baking soda won't discolor anything although it might make it cleaner looking for a short time.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #8244388

meant to add that this person's driveway looks remarkably similar to mine...what they call a "tar & chip". this photo was taken the day the workmen finished this section. thankfully, the oily tar on the sides was worse than it looked. it dries almost instantly and after a couple of mowings, it was gone.

This message was edited Dec 4, 2010 8:36 PM

Thumbnail by trackinsand
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kalpavriksha
Sarasota, FL

December 5, 2010
11:54 AM

Post #8245417

I can't say about the tar and chip drive; I've sprayed a tile patio with no problem except the odor. That disappeared after a few days.
If copper sulfate liquid has petrolium distillates, the you definately do not want to spray this on a driveway made from tar.
stephsgarden

August 5, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9230185

hi i have this problem and have been out ther hrs tryin to scrape it all up,its growing like mad at moment.i find if i rake it it just spreads the stuff everywer and grows faster in damp conditions,ive tried bleach ,worked for a bit.
did u solve it lummigirl?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America