Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Bush beans

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 6, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 13, 2010
9:34 PM

Post #8210362

Man, I feel like I ask dumb questions, but I guess this is the place. I *thought* that bush beans produced all their beans more or less at once and then that was it, whereas pole beans produced intermittently but all season long. Did I dream this?

Anyway, I have managed to grow 5 bush bean plants and they produced -- and I thought they were all finished, but now they are again covered in flowers and the beginnings of a new crop of tiny beans. Good thing I was slow in messing with them because I'm now glad I didn't pull the plants!

What is the story on bush beans?

Also -- I *thought* that one advantage to bush beans was that they didn't need to be staked. However I decided to put my plants in tomato cages because they looked a little floppy. That is, I did it for all but one (I ran out of cages). Well, the ones that got the cages have been going well, while the one that did not get the cage, flopped around in the dirt and soon succombed to some disease.

To be clear, these are not misidentified pole beans. They have only grown up about 2 feet and stopped.

Thanks for any comments. I feel like whatever article I read about bush beans was pretty wrong. Not complaining though, happy for the extra beans.

flsusie
New Port Richey, FL

November 14, 2010
2:53 AM

Post #8210470

what variety are you growing? I've got the same thing. mine are burpees greencrop and the beans do look and taste similar to pole beans.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #8210582

I grow black beans (turtle beans) and they don't grow very tall, but I always give them a support to grow on. This year they gave us three rounds of beans. We let them dry on the plants before picking, then shuck them into glass jars to store for winter soups/chili, etc.

I think it depends on the type of bush beans you grow as to how many "rounds" they will produce.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #8210790

It's because you have two growing seasons. Since it's cooled down, they've restarted their growing process. Tomatoes do the same thing.
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #8210993

Ooooohhh, stephanietx -- leave it to a fellow Texan to figure out the multiple season thing! Thank you, makes sense.

I just checked the seed packet, and this one does say to pick regularly for "continual production," so I really don't know where I got the idea that bush beans were a one-shot deal (regardless of weather, I mean). As has been suggested, maybe I was reading about a specific variety, or maybe whatever I read really was talking about it in weather terms and not for the region I'm in. I seemed to have jumped to the wrong conclusion one way or another, but never mind, the fog is clearing now. And the best part is, I get more beans! LOL.

flsusie and HoneybeeNC, the variety I am growing is "Jade." I still think it is odd though -- it does say on the seed packet 'no staking needed' but really, to me it makes a tremendous difference.

Thanks, all!
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2010
9:23 AM

Post #8211010

Oh, and I meant to add, these bush beans were planted as a fall crop, and this second round of bush beans is coming right on the heels of the first round -- both fall, in other words. Regardless, it's obvious that this is about weather -- we've had a lovely long fall for once - and I've learned something. Thanks again.
flsusie
New Port Richey, FL

November 14, 2010
10:18 AM

Post #8211126

I think stephanietx is on to something. Usually in late Feb. early March we're pulling out the cool season crops even if they're still producing to get in the beans, cukes and squash as early as possible because of the heat. I moved in March, so didn't get to plant spring stuff, so I planted beans, cukes and squash Sept 3 and the are doing great. I almost pulled the beans last week but didn't around to it. Glad I didn't now. I think this year I'm gonna leave the cool stuff till it's warm enough for the heat lovers then follow with "spring" crops in the fall. I think Ican get a more continuos harvest of " something" that way, and eliminate the 6-8 weeks of waiting for stuff to grow in the spring.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America