-
AuthorContent
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2010
4:54 AM

Post #8210552

I received a nice rooted piece last year in the late summer,kept it in under lights until this year when I hung it out on the patio for the summer. It's been doing just fine up until now. I brought it in late Nov. and now all it's leaves are yellowing and falling off. Stems are still green. Is this just the reaction from the move? None of my other hoyas are loosing leaves.

P
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #8211519

The Fishtail Hoya is one I've never been able to keep alive for long. I've tried growing this plant a few times over the past four years and they don't seem to like my conditions. I purchased two more from Home Depot about 6 or 7 months ago (Exotic Angel plants.) One plant seemed to fail quickly, leaves turned yellow and dropped and then the stems just seemed to dry up and die. The second plant is still alive but is not happy. I think I've heard that this particular Hoya likes cooler conditions so I'm thinking maybe that's my problem. I buy them and put them out on my deck where it's hot and humid! The surviving plant I brought inside to the air conditioned house and it's seemed to do better. We had a bit of cooler weather a few weeks ago so I moved it back outside. It's still out there and the weather has warmed back up and it looks a bit unhappy again. This is one I wish I could find a happy medium with and be able to keep alive awhile!
carpathiangirl
Akron, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2010
7:04 PM

Post #8211907

Possible problems: dries out too quickly? light? bugs? check out the roots, repotting might help.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2010
3:43 AM

Post #8212293

Well,we did have some wicked tempts back in Aug. I do let my hoya dry out pretty good between waterings and I just repotted it before I brought it back in...and no visible signs of bugs.
carpathiangirl
Akron, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #8212465

Well, let's give her some time to recover. Mine doesn't mind about being moved inside/out and drops some leaves because of drought (my fault!). She's quite bushy and healthy, the only problem I have is blooming -- I saw many tiny buds coming but they never opened. So she might be sensitive to some factors but someone has to be an expert to figure it out I guess.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #8212580

Okey dokey. Wasn't gonna pitch her any time soon anyway
EileenAZ
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8684653

I thought that Fishtail Hoyas were going to be my go-to plants at first. They did well inside and cuttings rooted within days-literally- and they were so pretty and grew so well. Then it started to appear that they don't like it too hot, or too cool, or too dry, or too humid, or something else like over-or-underpotting, and all the plants I had scattered all over the place started dying, no matter what location they were in. Sheesh. They ALL died- usually you'll luck out with a couple, at least! I tried it again- same deal. Are they really that particular?
Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8688955

I'm glad that I'm not the only one. I got a beautiful fishtail at HD last fall. I did well under lights all winter. The minute I brought it outside the decline began. It is almost dead now. I have repotted and tried moving it to different locations. Nothing has helped.
imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8689695

I had to keep re starting my polyneura many times until I discovered that it likes it cool and moist. I keep mine inside now under lights on a shelf. I have it potted in a mix of african violet potting soil, perlite, and orchid mix. 1-1-1 ratio. It is small but seems to be doing better. I have another small one outside hanging and it always looks wilted. Just too hot for it. I keep spraying it every day and will see how bad it gets, before bringing it inside with the other one.
Try moving your inside in a bright window. That may save your plant. i would take a few cuttings just in case.
billy42
St. Petersburg, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 14, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #8967300

I have kept mine on the front porch on the North side of the house for 2.5 years. It is a HD exotic angel. It stays out year round except for really cold days and nights (
imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 14, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #8967770

Well. my polyneura is now down to one short stem. I had it outside during our cool winter temps, hoping it would recover. All the other stems turned yellow. I don't think I'll try this one again. I hope you have better luck with yours.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #8968440

I'm guilty of Polyneuracide also and after reading this, am glad to know I'm not alone.
It was a larger (and lush) Exotic Angel.

Conditions it died in were front porch, bright light but no direct sunlight. Was it the summer heat?

I know it wouldn't have been overwatering as the fools in the garden centers overwater them all the time. lol

Has anyone ever seen these bloom?

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #8970435

Another one guilty of "Polyneuracide" here too. I found it did best in bright light, cooler temps, kept moist. I still ended up killing it after it rebounded several times.
EileenAZ
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #8972223

When it comes down to polyneuracide, I'm a serial killer.

Do you think it would do well in Tucson on a heavily shaded north side porch? the humidity is low most of the time
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #8972235

Sounds like we are in good company. There is a common theme with those of us in the south not being successful with these pretty Hoyas. I wonder if it is the heat that harms these plants.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2012
2:26 AM

Post #8972362

I've got at least 20 different Hoya's...including H. linearis which is known to be a difficult grower but has done quite well for me. While "most" Hoya's like warmer temperatures there are some that don't. You just can't clump them all together when it comes to growing conditions.

Here's the bloom on my. H linearis...a "cool" grower. I keep it inside during the hot summer months June to the end of September, then it goes outside till temps get really cool (lower 40's) at night.

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Click the image for an enlarged view.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2012
4:03 AM

Post #8972418

Beautiful blooms and what interesting foliage. How is the fragrance?

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #8972604

very very slight fragrance...you have to stick you nose right in it. Not like some others.
EileenAZ
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2012
10:14 PM

Post #8973675

Pretend you're a hummingbird. 8^]
jojoe70
Thomson, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9016464

Hello all,
I was looking for help on the care of a plant i received while having surgery and after having complications i ended up with a couple of plants.My husband the sweetie he is knows what kind of plants i like (cause i constantly tell him about them)he bought me a H.polyneura -a fishtail Hoya and a H. carnosa Chelsea.After reading through this thread i'm really worried about the fish tail mostly (i haven't looked up the chelsea yet)

Sound like their has been a lot of experience's with this particular plant.Can anyone give me some advice or tips to stack the odds my way a little!!! I don't want to loose it.It is currently hanging in a bay window facing maybe southeast.It shares the bay with 6 other hoya's,some christmas cactus and a lipstick plant.This will be the first season i've had Hoya's to go out with the rest of the clan.But in reading the post's above maybe it should go out first & then be put back inside before the heat gets bad.I usually let my hoya's dry out a little before watering them,is the fish tail an exception to that practice? Some one said they don't like to dry out.

Any tips on this plant will be greatly appreciated.

Have a nice evening

P.S. my camera is a dinosaur and the color is always off.So any yellow the plant looks to have it really doesn't,it's a beautiful plant!! for now

This message was edited Feb 26, 2012 12:43 PM

Thumbnail by jojoe70   Thumbnail by jojoe70
Click an image for an enlarged view.

billy42
St. Petersburg, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 28, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9221275

I've had the EA fishtail hoya for three years now. In St. Petersburg, FL it hates to have wet roots. It sits on my north facing porch all year unless the temps get into the mid-thirtys at night. It always has one or two yellow leaves that will fall, but generally seems happy. It only causes me problems when watered too quickly between drying out, or when I allow it to sit dry for too long. It will tell you by its drooping if it is thirsty.

Thumbnail by billy42
Click the image for an enlarged view.

luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9361858

I bought a hoya rubra yesterday. I hope it does well, after all the problems I have read here. If it starts having problems, I think I will put it in the cool garage and see if it recovers. Luciee {;^)

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2012
2:25 AM

Post #9362016

luciee,
H. rubra isn't nearly as fussy as the H.polyneura
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9362083

mjsponies, I'm glad to have that info. It is a pretty plant and I'm glad I won't have so many problems with it. Thanks!! Luciee {;^)
EileenAZ
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9366332

Billy42, looks like you have the perfect climate for polyneuras, I always pictured mine looking like that, but they never made it through the God's-flame-thrower May-June summer in AZ.
I guess if I moved to Florida my plants of choice would thrive, but i'd grow mold and die.
billy42
St. Petersburg, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 1, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9435949

EileenAZ, It seems to love the humidity, but hates wet roots. The mold issue is definitely an issue, some days you can just smell it in the air. I am originally from OK and had to deal with a lot of dry heat there, but here in Florida, everything grows and it just makes you want more and more plants. Sometimes it feels like a curse.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2014
9:44 PM

Post #9798834

You know it's been interesting reading about eveyone's fishtail problems. I have one that I've had for over 5 years that I started from a cutting. I keep it inside all year hanging in a window, not in direct light though. It has been a slow grower, but I've never lost a leaf. It has bloomed twice but I never expect much out of it. I water my houseplants when they get dry so it' doesn't get any real attention. It never appears to need more water than anything else and my livngroom is a jungle. Humidity is low here and I don't have air conditioning so it gets hot inside in summer. You know it never really gets all that cold here. A cold winter is when we get a freezing night or two. Maybe they are just really cold sensitive. I'd watch the over-watering, it can be a real killer of plants.
My large hoya is blooming now and when I go up the stairs the smell is amazing.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hoyas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Carol Noel order just came in. Dianne492 14 Oct 6, 2008 12:55 AM
Collection of your favorite informational Hoya links PanamonCreel 20 Dec 14, 2009 11:56 PM
Variegated & Green leaf on Kerrii ACsAgapePlants 4 Mar 2, 2009 3:29 AM
Big leaves meltn 75 Jul 14, 2007 3:14 PM
Hoya Jackpot in Vegas!! ACsAgapePlants 26 Apr 13, 2008 10:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America