Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!: indoor pineapple gardening epiphany

Communities > Forums > Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!Replies: 0, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

November 15, 2010
5:32 AM

Post #8212388

Hi - what a wonderful article!

I was lucky to spend my pre-adult years in Ft. Lauderdale, FL in the 1950's and rooted several pineapples which I planted in the yard (mostly white sand). They grudgingly grew but produced no fruit. I now assume they were lacking in proper nutrients.
As I remember (a dangerous source of truth for me now), it was recommended that the little "pups" which formed at the base of the fruit should be used for propagation as they would form fruit quicker. I only had grocery store fruit, so the pups had been removed and I had no source for them. I always thought the top would not produce fruit. After reading the wonderful article by Jeremy Wayne Lucas, I am ready to try it again, in North Carolina.

My office has a nice SW facing window with my dog's crate under it which provides an excellent support for my small winter growing hobby. My indoor fig garden may have to be reduced but I will start as soon as I can find a good ripe pineapple in the local supermarket. (Anything to remind me of FL!)

Thumbnail by pbyrley
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
growing pineapples ringbearer31 11 Dec 31, 2010 7:46 AM
Golden gardening opportunities... podster 8 Oct 8, 2007 11:33 PM
Pot size? imapigeon 3 Oct 15, 2007 1:49 AM
Pineapples billowen 0 Oct 8, 2007 8:37 PM
My pineapple pic Islandshari 9 Oct 12, 2007 4:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America