Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Stressed Out Succulents - Good or Bad?: Another Excellant article

Communities > Forums > Article: Stressed Out Succulents - Good or Bad?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Stressed Out Succulents - Good or Bad?Replies: 12, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
garyaths
Oxnard, CA

November 15, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #8212509

Your articles are absolutly the best. I forward them to all my fellow succulent enthusiasts. You really should write a book.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #8212544

Bob, I 2nd what garyaths said.

LennysMom
Coupeville, WA

November 15, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #8212779

Fascinating article! And excellent photographs. So much good information based on observations of your own plants.. Thank you.
holly85749
Tucson, AZ

November 15, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #8213479

I have to agree with the comments here - good job, palmbob! I was just noticing my purplish cold-stressed, drought-stressed aloes (Aloe brandraaiensis, I think) earlier this afternoon. Great pictures!
Illig1
Redwood City, CA

November 15, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #8213878

As usual, a fabulous article. Thanks so much.
okienewbie
Tulsa, OK

November 16, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #8214709

As someone new to growing succulents, I really appreciated not only the information but also the photographs that will allow me to better assess my own plants.
cabngirl
Sonoma, CA

March 26, 2012
2:06 AM

Post #9057109

Me too. What they all said. I've been aware of most of this info but your in depth "stressed-not stressed" pictures were very helpful. (wish they were a little bigger even actually). I've been concerned about some of my young aloes; ferox, microstigma and another (either California or Blue Elf) which have taken "bruised" coloration, I am not sure if it's temps, exposure, moisture... hoping it's just seasonal... really appreciated the commentary about your A. polyphylla. I have one that is doing very well but now knowing how much the heat could damage it I will be on alert. Thanks to your article about starting seeds fortunately I have a couple poly babies and suprafoliata going too. Much thanks, from a fellow aloe lover. Now if I could dial the right combo with anemone tabuliforme...oh and in relation to stress, I'd love to learn more about cresting/fasciated growth. I have a mystery gymnocalycium I all but killed that is still a weird taupey-olive and has become a crest. I'm also concerned about my first attempt at a little Cintia knizei which I gather can be olive-ish but my plant is a little puckery and pink around the tubercles. Not sure if I'm watering enough but paranoid about overwatering. Guess this is all part of the fun?

Thumbnail by cabngirl   Thumbnail by cabngirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9057410

maybe... looks are one thing, but texture is another... if those cacti are soft to the touch, that IS a bad thing
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

September 17, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9277650

Great stuff! As we have had two straight years of drought here in OKC, and I'm a believer in climate change, I am switching over to more natives, near natives, and succulents. Your article will be a huge help, so thanks a bunch! I just drowned an ice plant recently so am glad I propagated four earlier in the year. These babies will definitely not be planted so near the drip line! I also discovered that Kamchatka does NOT like full sun and 100-115 degree heat. It stayed green around the fringes, so I resisted the urge to dig it up. A week of cool temps and some rain and , tada, it is coming back green at the crown. I will transplant it, however, to a spot where it will receive some shade in the late afternoon. The one I hae in half day sun, however, has not bloomed.
3Riley
Richmond, CA

September 17, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9277842

Excellent article about something I've noticed after decades of growing succulents, and had also started thinking that a little drying was natural and might even be good for my outdoor aloes. We have cool summers here, but in a windowbox it's hard to grow even cacti and succulents if it gets much sun.
Another cause of reddening is freezing, and that's not a good thing.

I have been trying to learn the requirements of aloes, to better match their native periods of rain and heat - we have dry summers with mild low rainfall winters.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 17, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9278082

native periods of drought are what many aloes can survive, but not necessarily thrive on. I have found that watering many (but not all) of these aloes during times of normal drought keeps them green and healthy looking, and they flower better than ever the following winter. The key is figuring which those are. If you ever visit the Huntington, you will see enormous and impressive specimens all over the garden that far outgrow and out perform any of the native counterparts. So just because they CAN survive stress, does not mean that they should.
Illig1
Redwood City, CA

September 19, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9280655

PalmBob, Thanks so much for re-posting this article. You have the very best articles on succulents that I have ever read. I very much agree that being able to survive drought/stress does not mean the plant enjoys drought/stress. I find that my drought-stressed aloes seem to have a lot of ant acitivity whereas the well-watered ones have no ants on them at all. It really is a calibration dependent upon looking at the plant and assessing the difference between good stress and bad stress. Keep up the fabulous work!

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2012
2:07 AM

Post #9280766

Sometimes, however, aloes in too much shade look less stressed than normal (a bit too green and thick), and these aloes also tend to be the ones that fall prey to ants and mealy bug... so 'stress' can also have the appearance of 'healthier than normal'.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Stressed Out Succulents - Good or Bad? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
BORONIA MEGASTIGMA ddeves2003 1 Nov 15, 2010 7:39 AM
Christmas cactus prickersnall 1 Nov 15, 2010 7:35 AM
Echeverias cyrd 2 Nov 19, 2010 4:01 PM
article aloeman 0 Nov 16, 2010 11:34 AM
Succulents plantsforpeg 0 Nov 17, 2010 8:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America