Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Mum's the Word: Mums and roses

Communities > Forums > Article: Mum's the Word
bookmark
Forum: Article: Mum's the WordReplies: 2, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
clstandley
Sunnyvale, CA

November 15, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #8212697

Hi, this is my first message on Dave's garden! I recently got addicted to roses and need a twelve step program, but that is a different story. How do mums grow around the bases of roses? Does either one suffer? I have such a small yard, I need to use every square inch.

C
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2010
11:05 PM

Post #8216211

Welcome, cistandley! I've found that roses do best if they aren't crowded by other plants. How about growing your mums in pots? The plants would also be more versatile that way, because you could move them around your yard at will, and the roots wouldn't compete with the plants in the ground.
SoooSirius
Municipality of Murr, PA

November 5, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9325265

Welcome clstandley,
An idea: Try interplanting your mum plants with your favorite spring blooming bulbs. The emerging mums hide the dying foliage of the bulbs and you get two rounds of flowers in the same place. I have had good success with this method with daffodil bulbs planted beneath mums.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mum's the Word Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mums galore! critterologist 3 Nov 11, 2010 2:19 PM
Great article, Larry! Bookerc1 11 Nov 17, 2012 8:09 AM
mum bonsai treborepooc 1 Nov 16, 2010 11:00 PM
Very informative article! Lorise 0 Oct 15, 2014 9:50 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America