Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Soup or stew time! What is your favorite?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 168 votes:

We love vegetable soup. (made with your own veggies?)
(27 votes, 16%)
Red dot

Clam or seafood chowder here!
(19 votes, 11%)
Red dot

Chili is a favorite in our house. (secret recipe?)
(47 votes, 27%)
Red dot

Bean soup, with or without ham.
(26 votes, 15%)
Red dot

Chicken noodle or turkey noodle is our favorite!
(18 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Other? (share a recipe!)
(31 votes, 18%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

North Augusta, ON

wow...first...cool!

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Italian wedding soup and minestrone are also big favorites in our house.

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

I love to make chili, it is almost a vegetable soup.
I have Beef, tomatoes, onions, garlic, celery, chili powder, cumin.
Love Chili.....

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Amazing to see this topic ~ lol

On the stove right now... Chili.

I love all the homemade soups but when the weather chills and is gloomy, Chili comes to mind.

With beans of course, onions and shredded carrots. We like it sweet so when near the end of cooking, I add brown sugar.

With a salad and homemade biscuits ~ YUM!

Its' what's for dinner ~ of course.

This message was edited Nov 15, 2010 1:59 PM

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7a)

I buy turkey chili in cans and add my own ancho chili pepper, chili powder, smoked paprika, salt, pepper & habanero sauce. I add a little olive oil and stick it in the microwave for three minutes until the ancho pepper has darkened a little and the soup is very hot. Then I add chunks of room temperature cheese and eat the dark, thick mixture by scooping it up with tortilla chips. Turns out to be better than anything I can make from scratch. And I can eat chili inside three minutes of thinking about it.

On the rare occasions when I do make it from scratch, I always serve it with fresh-made skillet cornbread.

YUM

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

I chose 'other' because I couldn't choose... I love all of the above. But, like Steve, there's always a pan of cornbread handy to make it even better...

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

We just made beef stew today for lunch! I almost picked "other" because the only one we don't make is the chicken noodle. No reason, just don't.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

And that's the one I make most, by request from my boys. They could eat chicken noodle every day.

Slocan, BC(Zone 3a)

I make chili with ground turkey breast and red pepper with onion and chili powder. I sometimes put hot chili peppers in with the mix also to give it some tang. I am not a big fan of hot peppers in chili. I like it over top of rice though to make it go farther.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Love gumbo made with homegrown peppers, okra, tomatoes, onions & squash.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Muligatawny soup. Chicken stock, chicken, bacon, granny smith apples, carrots, cream, curry over rice. Yummy!

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Tamberlin, I've never heard of that! Got a recipe you want to share? Sounds interesting. . .I've never had soup with apples. I do have a recipe that puts diced granny smith apples in stuffing, with pork chops baked on top, so I bet it would be great in soup, too. :)

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

Potato Soup is my favorite soup, my mom's recipe:

Peel, cut into bite size chunks three pounds of potato, cover with cold water. Boil till fork tender. Drain off water. Add one chopped onion, and whole milk to cover potatoes, add pepper lots of it, simmer for 30 minutes, add 1 can of creamed corn and a stick of real butter. When the whole stick of butter has melted, eat and enjoy.

This message was edited Nov 15, 2010 11:24 PM

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Love it ALL, but have to say chili is prob the fav.
Proud to say I won 1st place in our chili cook off at church.

(Zone 7a)

I make a very good seafood stew. Vegetable broth, potatoes, onions, tomatoes and any seafood you can find. It's time to make some, so, off to the market tomorrow.

This message was edited Nov 15, 2010 11:51 PM

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Will have to try that Potato Soup. It is one of my favorite soups. But I voted for other because I also love to make Cabbage With Turkey Mealballs Soup. Its raining right now and I'm thinking a nice hearty soup would taste reallly good for dinner tonight.
With cornbread always.

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Chili! I made a large pot of it a couple of days ago. For me, it's more an event than a throw-together meal and includes beef and/or pork cubes and hot turkey sausage followed by the seasonings, peppers and beans. My other favorite style is a chicken chili with hominy. Soups and stew are not far behind, but I've never been a big fan of chowder.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

What ? No selection for All of the Above?? We look forward to all kinds of hot soups and stews in winter. Fresh hot bread with it, and plenty of butter. Yum.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Soups and stews are naturals for winter hunkering down. No matter which you chose, it is wonderful to walk in from outdoors to the tantalizing smell of something hot and hearty on the back burner.

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

marti001,
This recipe I know is 60 years + old.
Handed down to me from my Mom.
Eaten warm it's potato soup/potato chowder.
Eaten cold with green onion added it's Vichyssoise.
Would love to have the Turkey/Cabbage recipe.

Calgary, Canada

Make "Rainbow" soup by choosing vegetables of different colors and make them into
vegetable soup. Could add grains for brown etc.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Soups, chili, and stews are great for fall weather. Only two, that I don't like are peanut and split pea. I prefer a soup not something that is thicker than most gravies. Actually my favorite is the old depression special "White Rock" soup. The story goes that a hungry hobo showed up at a farmers door and asked for something to eat. The farmers wife turned him down. He then asked if coul have a pot of boiling water. She made the mistake of asking why. To which he replied ;" Well, I have this special rock rock here. All I need is a pot of boiling water to make the most delicious soup." Intrigued, she invited him in a put a pot of water on the stove. He dumped in the white rock rock and began stirring. Then he said, " its coming along swell, but if I have a few potatoes to add it would be even better" she agreed. In a little while he spoke up again, "it would be even better if i had a few scraps of meat to add. The story gets pretty long, but even today in my neck of the woods, a soup made from whatever meat and vegetables are available on short notice is called White Rock soup. No recipe just throw in everything available.

(Zone 7a)

When I was a kid, we called it Stone Soup. Yummy!!!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

To make Turkey/Cabbage soup is very easy. The Cabbage soup part is like a veggie soup, but add lots of cut up cabbage, onions, parsley, carrots, diced tomatoes. Sometimes I make it with veggie bullion, sometimes with chicken bullion. For the turkey meatballs you will need

1 lb of ground turkey
garlic and salt and pepper to taste
instant rice
chopped onions
cumin
parsley

Mix all ingredients together and make small meatballs. To be added to Cabbage soup after soup has come to boil and veggies are almost cooked.

Note: the ground turkey I like to use is not the all white meat turkey, it seems to make tough meatballs. I use Jennie O's ground turkey. It comes in a brown plastic wrapper.

Marti

Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

This recipe came from a small gathering of friends that I inviited over for dinner & turned into a major event with people on the back deck & front porch. The guest list exploded from 6 people to 21! I trully was experincing first hand the party that Frodo Baggins had before he left his home in "The Hobbit"! LOL! I had to play the part of Iron Chef, literally grabing things out of the frezer and the pantry.

Oh my poor little wine cellar took a beating! But the gathering is now a fond memory I shall always cherish.

You can make this into a soup, a stew, pasta sauce, or a gumbo.

This recipe is meant to be changed! obviously most people don't have elk sausage, but I can litteraly get as much bulk elk sausage as I want!

Enjoy!

UNCLE SONNY'S CAJUN PARTY
YOU CAN MAKE A MYRIAD OF THINGS FROM THIS!
SERVES 12+

2 LARGE CHOPPED ONIONS
4 CHOPPED BELL PEPERS
1 HEAD OF CHOPPED CELERY

SEASONING MIX:
8 WHOLE BAY LEAVES
4 TSP SALT
2TSP WHITE PEPPER
2 TSP CAYENNE PEPPER
2 TSP BLACK PEPPER
3 TSP DRIED THYME LEAVES
6 TSP DRIED OREGANO LEAVES
6 TSP DRIED BASIL LEAVES
2 TBS Chili Powder-try Penzy’s Spice for good quality & quantity on spices!

8 TSP MINCED GARLIC
2 Lbs ITALIAN ELK BULK SAUSAGE and/or 2 LBS ANDOUILLE SLICED ½” THICK
2 LBS RAW SHRIMP, FROZEN TO FRESH WILL WORK
2 LBS MUSHROOMS
8 OZ OR SO OYSTER JUICE/LIQOUR
3 SKINLESS BONELESS CUBBED CHICKEN BREASTS
6 Lb CAN HEAVY TOMATO PUREE + 1/3 CAN OF WATER, OR SUBSTITUTE SEAFOOD OR CHICKEN STOCK TO THIN PUREE AS NEEDED. See Paul Prudhomme’s books or website.
4 15 OZ CANS DICED ROMA TOMATOES
JUST ENOUGH VEGETABLE OIL SO THINGS DON’T STICK

Add chopped celery and bell peppers to a large sauce pot.

In a large frying pan heat vegetable oil on high and brown onion & minced garlic.

Add onions & garlic in with the other vegetables. Set the frying pan aside for the chicken.

Stirring constantly on high heat, sauté the vegetables until just heated through. Add diced roma tomatoes and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer.

In the frying pan, quickly brown the chicken, andoulle & elk sausage with a small amount of vegetable oil and transfer to the saucepot with the vegetables & diced tomatoes.

Bring vegetables, meat & diced tomatoes to a simmer, add seasoning mix, and stir thoroughly to mix.

Add tomato puree and bring to a simmer. This is the time to judge consistency for use as soup, sauce or gumbo.

Add mushrooms

Simmer for 15 minutes while stirring to keep from burning. Skim any oil from the surface.

When chicken is done & celery is soft, turn down heat, add oyster liquor & shrimp, simmer until shrimp turns pink.

Skim any oil from surface.

Serve immediately

This message was edited Nov 16, 2010 5:01 PM

Thumbnail by Pewjumper

Sounds deliscious. Yum!!

I really want to hear from our international contingent!

Sonny

Sorry, I'm not international....☺

Well if you are down in Georgia there are all kindsa recipes floating around!

Gotta favorite? Speak up!

I will invite you to my place for some fun, food & fellowship!

Sonny

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

Anyone got a ICEBOX FRUITCAKE or Old Fashion Teacake Recipes and willing to share them?

West Plains, MO(Zone 6b)

We have a southwestern chili that we love!

Get them recipes up here!

A green chile recipe using pork tenderloin is great!

We have guys roasting fresh green chiles by the roadside August-October and the chiles ae absolutely deliscious!!! Not to mention that pork tenderloin is real cheap at the same time of the year.

Whata bout corn bread recipes?

Sonny

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

THE BEST CORNBREAD IN THE WORLD:

Heat over to 350
Put black iron skillet into oven to heat

Mix together:
1 cup flour
1 cup corn meal
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp sugar

Make a 'well' in the middle of the mixture and add:
1/4 cup oil
1 egg
Gently beat the oil and egg together

Add:
1 cup milk

Mix all together

Remove skillet from oven. Add 1-2 Tbsp oil in skillet to cover the bottom.

Pour the cornbread mix into the skillet and return to the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes until brown on top.

Enjoy!

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a Cornbread Recipe that's great for the New Year!

Blackeyed Pea Cornbread
1 C. Cornmeal (I prefer Pioneer Cornmeal)
1/2 C. Flour
1 t. Salt
1/2 t. Baking Soda
1 t. Baking Powder
2 Eggs
1 C. Buttermilk
1/2 C. Oil

Add:
1 Medium Chopped Onion
1/4 C. Cream-Style Corn
1 Lb. Sausage Link (burton's is quite good)
1/2 C Shredded Chedder Cheese
1 C. Jalapeno Black-eyed Peas

Mix all ingredients and bake in a greased 9 X 13 pan at 425 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool (very important to let cool before slicing)
Very good left over for breakfast.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I picked chili as my favorite but I also love stew, chicken and noodles, potato and ham chowder, and several others. And always served with fresh bread or cornbread!!

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Our two favorite soups are loaded baked potato soup and chicken enchilada soup, both full of cheese, sour cream, and lots of calories. We hardly ever meet a soup or stew we don't like, of course!

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Chicken Corn Chowder! I played and played with this until I got it to my taste.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chicken Corn Chowder

2 Tblsp. butter or margarine
1 c. chopped celery
1 c. chopped carrot
1 15 oz. can whole kernal sweet corn, drained
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 4oz. can chopped green chiles, drained (I use mild, but sometimes I add an extra can)
1 12.5oz. can of chicken, does not have to be drained (I use white meat only)
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 32oz. container of chicken broth
1 15oz. can cream style corn
1 10oz. cream of potato soup
1 8oz. container cream cheese
1 small can (I think it's 8 oz.) evaporated milk
Season to taste

I start by sauteing the celery, carrot, onion, and chiles in the 2 Tblsp of margarine, just to make them tender... maybe 10-15 min. Probably not necessary, since you bring it all to a boil and simmer later on, but that's how I do it. I season at this point with some garlic powder, adobo, salt and pepper, and the 1/4 c. brown sugar. I add the can of corn and the chicken at the end of this saute. Next, add the container of chicken broth, and bring it all to a simmer. Simmer on low about 10-15 minutes. Add the cream corn and the cream of potato soup, stirring in well. Bring back to simmer. Add the container of cream cheese. Break the cheese into smaller pieces and stir frequently until the cheese is all melted into the soup. Add the can of evaporated milk. Turn off the heat and let sit for about 15 minutes.

Stir well and serve!

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

I've a recipe for Mulligan Stew I'm just going to have to dig out for you people!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I picked Other. I like them all, but I especially like Chicken & Rice, and all different kinds of Gumbo. Since winter came on it has been landfood Gumbo, but I am starting to want some seafood. I love that my DM always kept a huge pot on the stove with chili or beef stew going during our short Southern winters.
One trick she taught me was to always use 3 kinds of meat and to treat the veggies 3 different ways. The meat might be beef, lamb and some kind of sausage or hamburger. The vegetables were chopped or diced and divided into thirds. One third was carmelized at the start, one third was added with the broth as the soup was built and one third was added 45 minutes before serving. Same veggies, 3 different flavors and textures = wonderful!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.