Photo by Melody

Article: Stressed Out Succulents - Good or Bad?: Echeverias

Communities > Forums > Article: Stressed Out Succulents - Good or Bad?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Stressed Out Succulents - Good or Bad?Replies: 2, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cyrd
wanganui
New Zealand

November 15, 2010
10:25 AM

Post #8212923

Love your succulent articles Geoff. Frilly echeverias are one of my current 'things'. Each winter (N.Z.) I spend four months in S. California. and my plants are fine with no water or indeed any sort of care. They certainly get stressed and lower leaves become dessicated but they soon recover on my return. THIS year scores have rotted - mainly from the base up. After a month (and having spayed with a fungicide (Super Shield) which doesn't mar echeverias even though it's also an insecticide. Then I noticed a few were dying from the top down! I stopped watering with rain water and now the losses seem to be over after two months.
The cause? I would appreciate any advice you might have. Thanks, Dave J.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #8213705

was this when it was hot out? Either way, Echeverias do NOT like water on their heads, especially when its not winter. I have killed hundreds of them that way (you would think I would learn, but they were planted in an among other things I needed to water, so, they were sort of innocent bystanders. I rarely kill them doing that in the winter... in fact, they seem to like watering on their heads in the winter- with rain water, not tap water IF (and this is a big iff), IFF, they have plenty of light... if you Echeverias started getting shaded over, then they rot no matter what. I also learned that the hard way, but it has been even harder to do something about that as my garden has grown upwards, leaving plants like this in relative darkness. Sadly I only have a handfull of literally hudreds of these leaf thanks to low light.
cyrd
wanganui
New Zealand

November 19, 2010
4:01 PM

Post #8220884

palmbob wrote:was this when it was hot out? Either way, Echeverias do NOT like water on their heads, especially when its not winter. I have killed hundreds of them that way (you would think I would learn, but they were planted in an among other things I needed to water, so, they were sort of innocent bystanders. I rarely kill them doing that in the winter... in fact, they seem to like watering on their heads in the winter- with rain water, not tap water IF (and this is a big iff), IFF, they have plenty of light... if you Echeverias started getting shaded over, then they rot no matter what. I also learned that the hard way, but it has been even harder to do something about that as my garden has grown upwards, leaving plants like this in relative darkness. Sadly I only have a handfull of literally hudreds of these leaf thanks to low light.

Thanks for that. Mid September is into spring here and cool. All echeverias are under cover and really well lit. I am pretty careful to water soil only (esp. for specimens like cante) and have never had a problem coming back about that time or a little later and watering after an absence of four months. Not happy with the losses but am philosophical!! Have lost some varieties completely inc. gorgeous Pink Beauty and Blondie B. Cheers, Dave.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Stressed Out Succulents - Good or Bad? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
BORONIA MEGASTIGMA ddeves2003 1 Nov 15, 2010 7:39 AM
Another Excellant article garyaths 12 Sep 20, 2012 2:07 AM
Christmas cactus prickersnall 1 Nov 15, 2010 7:35 AM
article aloeman 0 Nov 16, 2010 11:34 AM
Succulents plantsforpeg 0 Nov 17, 2010 8:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America