New Pond

Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

I have not posted in a while, but wanted to share pictures of our new pond. My wonderful wife did most of the work as I am disabled, with help from a dear friend and our sons. The pond is 15 feet wide, 20 feet long and 3 feed deep. I believe this makes it over 6,500 gallons.

I believe I can only post one image per message, so here is the first one...

This message was edited Nov 15, 2010 5:32 PM

Thumbnail by DavEdsel
Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

Another picture...

Thumbnail by DavEdsel
Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

One more picture...

Thumbnail by DavEdsel
Lebanon, OR

You are so lucky to have so many care enough to give you such a wonderful gift. Ponds are such a soothing thing to have in your garden

D

Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

We've had a pond in this area for years. We had three pre-formed ponds linked by streams, but everything started leaking so my wonderful wife decided to pull it all out and build this new pond. We love it.

Here is a night-time picture showing the spotlights we installed today...

Thumbnail by DavEdsel
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Tell your wife and DF and your son, they did a splendid job. You guys will definitely enjoy it.. Will you be adding fish in it?

Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

Thank you, burn_2007. There are already about 20 fish in there from our old pond. Some feeder goldfish which have grown to about 4", some shebunkins and some fantails. We're thinking of adding some small koi in the spring.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

Tell your family they can come do mine next!

Love it!
Really like the lighting, that is nice at night to see. I think it would draw bugs around the pond at night, and the fish will love that too!

Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

Thank you, FrillyLilly.

One last picture for this season. We purchased some large and medium pieces of irregular flagstone yesterday and my wife installed them as a final top layer....

This message was edited Nov 20, 2010 7:16 AM

This message was edited Nov 20, 2010 7:17 AM

Thumbnail by DavEdsel
Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

OK, this should be the last picture. Dusk with new lighting installed around the pond.

Thumbnail by DavEdsel
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

so nice.... just need a firepit nearby to sit out and enjoy.

Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

Thank you, EFGeorgia1. The fire pit is in the other corner of our back yard.

Here is a picture of that...

Thumbnail by DavEdsel
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

that's just all you need...lol. welll, maybe somemores

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

So nice with the lights.

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

What a wonderful pond and fire pit :) The pond is so inviting ! What kind of tree is beside it?
Tootsie

Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks, tootsie.

To the left of the pond is a Japanese dappled willow. It is a shrub that we have trained to be shaped more like a tree. Beautiful plant with variegated leaves in the spring (green with a cream edge) and red bark on the branches in the fall and winter. It likes a lot of water, so my wife positioned all the rocks and liner so that if the pond overflows in a strong rain storm it will head for the willow. Behind and to the right is a very large, old white flowering honeysuckle bush. Lots of grasses and other perennials around the pond also. My wife's favorite is the small heather at the front left of the pond in the little planting bed she made just for that plant.

This message was edited Nov 27, 2010 11:47 AM

This message was edited Nov 27, 2010 11:48 AM

Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

We got our first big snowfall north of Buffalo in WNY overnight - about 8 inches so far. My wife took some pictures earlier today showing the new pond after the snow fall...

Thumbnail by DavEdsel
Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

Another...

Thumbnail by DavEdsel
Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

And another...

Thumbnail by DavEdsel
Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

One last photo...

Thumbnail by DavEdsel
Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

One I just took with the lights on...

Thumbnail by DavEdsel
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Soooo pretty to look at from the warmth of the house LOL. It is pretty cold here too. low 20's, but no snow. Just cold wind.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Very lovely with the lights and snow.

Virginia Beach, VA

They did a good job!!!! Bellie

Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

My wife has decided to do some tweaking of the new pond. Yesterday a dear friend and my eldest son worked on the waterfall to make it a little higher and more dramatic. We also updated from 1-inch diameter hose to 1.5-inch diameter hose from the pump to the waterfall. More things yet to do like install the Proline Pondmaster presurized filter system we recently purchased and add some more rocks on what we call "the ledge" where the steam empties into the pond itself. My poor wife has restrictions due to a work injury of her back, and I am disabled due to serious spine problems. Our friends and son are helping us and we are so thankful.

Here's what the waterfall looks like now after yesterday's re-do...

Thumbnail by DavEdsel
Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Dave

So nice! I can hear the waterfalls if I listen hard enough!

Virginia Beach, VA

Love it!!! They did a good job!! It is a huge pond compared to mine.

Belle

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

What a great job you have done. I love the waterfalls.

Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

I am very thankful that my wife, dear friend and son have built this pond last year, and what they are doing this year.

Our puppy Buster has been a big help...

Thumbnail by DavEdsel

Oh, he is adorable. What is he?

Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

Buster is a 4-month-old Shih-Tzu. I've posted about him in the NE Pets Forum. We think he is great. ☺

Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

The waterfall re-do project is complete. Looks great and sounds even better. ☺

Next is installing the Proline filter.

Thumbnail by DavEdsel
Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

Another angle...

Thumbnail by DavEdsel
Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

And looking straight on...

Thumbnail by DavEdsel

Oh, I really like it. It looks so professional and with such clean lines.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

So true mstella, they have done a superb job!!!

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Dave

Looks great!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Wonderful. I can hear those little frogs now..

Amherst, NY(Zone 6a)

The latest picture after a few more minor changes...

Thumbnail by DavEdsel
Virginia Beach, VA

I love it!!! I bet you listening to the waterfall is very peaceful!!

Belle

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.