Photo by Melody

Article: The Finicky Ficus Benjamina: This plant is nasty, N-A-S-T-Y!!!!!!!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Finicky Ficus Benjamina
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Finicky Ficus BenjaminaReplies: 1, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
concretephil
Osprey, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 16, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #8214663

In Florida it is classified as a class 1 invasive. It falls somewhere between Brazilion Peppers and Austrailian Pine.

The tourist and snowbirds go gaga over the trees growing on the John Ringling Estate in Sarasota, but little do they know how much envionmental damage they cause. Nothing, I mean absolutely nothing, grows anywhere close to these monsters.

If I was king of the world, I would take Garlon or Roundup to each and every one I could find. Don't take this the wrong way, nothing personal, but I sincerely hope yours and all others die!

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2010
8:24 AM

Post #8214722

Having seen pictures of them growing in the wild, I believe you! They're not called "strangler figs" for nothing. Ficus makes a nice houseplant, however, especially for those of us in the frozen north who long to see some green in the winter. Thanks for this reminder of the damage non-native plants can cause.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Finicky Ficus Benjamina Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
my Ficus trees bobsgirl 6 Jun 24, 2014 5:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America