Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Pic of Feather Corn..info anyone?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 10, Views: 203
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2001
11:36 AM

Post #15336

Baa here it is..hope it is clear enough for you to see it properly. Anyone ever grown this before? Do you know if it is just for decoration...or does it have any food value..
I bought it at a roadside stand..didn't think to ask about it other than what it was called..and it's too far away to go back and ask the grower.

Thumbnail by Starzz
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2001
2:21 PM

Post #141854

Starzz,
That looks like something I got in a trade a few years ago. It was marked as pod corn I think. On yours, is each kernel wrapped in it's own little husk? I have been able to find the pod corn in catalogues. Don't know if it helps, but if the description fits, you might try that name?
Michele

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2001
3:14 PM

Post #141867

Badseed..I think you've got it!
I took an piece off...down deep at the base is a kernel of corn..just like you said it is wrapped in it's own husk!I didn't think it had any kernels..Wow! the things I am learning..thanks so much.

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2001
3:25 PM

Post #141871

I did a search on Google for Pod corn..yep that's the stuff..it's very ancient..
I'm taking it for "show and tell" to my daughter's for our Thanksgiving day dinner. The grandkids can learn about it..
Baa

October 7, 2001
5:07 PM

Post #141926

LOL well I wouldn't have known that so thanks guys :)

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2001
1:54 PM

Post #142552

That's pretty cool stuff! Wow, I really DO learn something new here every day - guess I've met my quota for Monday, LOL!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2001
5:04 PM

Post #142679

Most of the time I just expect Baa or Poppysue to beat me! LOL I thought it was an heirloom, but still don't know the answer to whether or not it is edible. Seems like it would be a pain to peel every kernel! LOL New meaning to shucking, huh??? It is cool looking anyway. :)
Baa

October 8, 2001
8:08 PM

Post #142810

Oh Badseed don't let me muscle in on an identification ... I could be wrong!

I'm ok when it comes to a grown in the UK plant but I really have no idea about some of the others that come in. Its good to see everyones opinion on them.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2001
8:12 PM

Post #142813

Awww Baa, just poking some fun at you. :) You and Poppysue really are quick when it comes to identifying! LOL My kids and housework and part time job interfere with my computer time. I just don't get to play enough. And there are so many different places to look! If it weren't for all the other things I have to do, I'd probably sit here all day long! LOL

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2001
10:57 AM

Post #143158

You girls are so much fun!
Well just to update you..I took it to "show and tell" my children and granchildren at our Thanksgiving dinner at my daughters. They all gathered round as I pulled one of the kernels away from the cob and opened it up..and told the story about it and how you all helped me ID it. Yesterday I showed it to some friends and their children who were here to pick some apples. More sharing of info..it is so much fun to say "I have a story"..or "I want to show you"..
In school here, in the early grades, they have "show and tell". The child brings an item from home and gets up in front of the class to "show and tell". One of my friends said that maybe I could grow some if I took some of the kernels off the cob and planted them. Maybe I will give it try. I usually grow a few stalks of corn just so I have it for a harvest decoration at the front door.
Thanks so much for all your input.
Cheers,
Carol
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2001
1:44 PM

Post #143238

Hi Carol,
Glad to help. It is so nice to hear that you and the kids had such fun. Isn't it neat and easy to thrill the little ones? I think that is also the reason I am naturally attracted to elderly people. They have such great and wonderful stories, if you take the time to listen. My great aunt tells some of the best true ones about growing up. Her family were poor farmers that came here 'from the hills of Kentucky and lived down in a holler'. LOL When I think about how hard they lived and how easy we have it, it is truly miraculous! I can listen to her talk for hours! Anyways, I am glad you are enjoying that corn. You should plant some for fun. One year I grew several types of popcorn-I think the strawberry is still my favorite, along with indian corn, mini gourds, and broom corn. Those were all a lot of fun! Great decorations were made from them too. :)
Have fun,
Michele

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America