-
AuthorContent

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 16, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #8215950

You, know -- this Ask Carolyn should be a permanent thread -- a sticky -- maybe.

So -- I am not from Missouri, I actually pride myself on being a Bostonian. But, I am stubborn.

While eating through a package of Campari tomatoes from Sam's Club, and having a tiny spot of vacant plant bed (in full sun) I decided -- what the heck. I'll try it.

Now I know that it's written somewhere in Dave's Garden that Campari's don't propagate from seeds from the fruit -- but, they looked so good. So I put a clump of the seeds in water -- and waited and watched them separate and drop down to the bottom -- and dried them -- and planted them. Lo and behold -- the seedlings are now springing forth from the planters.

So, Carolyn, what am I going to get if I start them in the ground?

Be well

(o_O)
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

November 17, 2010
4:47 AM

Post #8216341

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0418351228349.html

The above link will tell you what some folks have gotten from saving seeds from Campari. They're supposed to be round red and I saw that someone got egg shaped ones.

Without knowing what the genetic parentage is there's really no way to know what you'll get, so go to it. LOL

There's a new hybid out there that is being called a Campari type and while I've never eaten a Campari fruit I can tell you that this variety, called Mt Magic F1 is very very good. It's golf ball size, same as Campari, has all sorts of genes in it for tolerance to certain diseases, which may or may not be important in terms of where a person lives and gardens.

It was bred by Dr. Randy Gardner, formerly of NCSU, who bred the whole series of Mountain varieties and many more.

Randy sent me some seeds for this one as well as for Smarty F1, his new grape one that JOhnny's has now, as well as Plum Regal F1.

With his permission I distributed seeds this past Spring for all three and I'd grown all three in the summer of 2009 and MM is my fave.

Seeds are in short supply.

Seedway is selling 100 minimum seeds for $32, Twilley is selling seeds, about 20-25 for about $!0 and I was talking with Linda Sapp at TGS last week and she's going to be selling them for $4.95 for about 20 seeds.

Pick them when they're full red but then keep them for a few days since the flavor improves greatly and they do have long shelf life just like a Campari.

So please read the thread I linked to above re growing saved F2 seeds of Campari.

Carolyn, who doesn't really need or want a sticky devoted to her just answering questions. LOL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 17, 2010
8:12 AM

Post #8216699

C'mon Carolyn:

If you have it -- flaunt it.

Why should I look elsewhere, when I know that I believe in you.

Thank you -- thank you -- thank you.

I appreciate all of the advice and will carefully read that link.

But, I am short of space -- and too lazy to try EB's -- so I am going to follow through with these seedlings and hold my breath. I put them in a little seed box and already have about 85 percent germination. And they got into the sun this morning, since the survivors are already 1 1/2 inches tall.

Again -- thank you -- thank you -- thank you.

Be well

(o_O)

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 18, 2010
1:19 PM

Post #8218970

oops.

Mea culpa

Did I say -- 85 percent germination? I was wrong.

One hundred percent -- plus some stragglers that got picked up by the tweezers.

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Click the image for an enlarged view.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 19, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #8220112

It is a bewilderment.

We are still eating tomatoes out of the same box.

Here is a photo of them and their babies.

The box says -- Packed on 10 OC 29. (They are Mexican.)

Fantastic.

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 30, 2010
12:16 PM

Post #8237794

Now comes the tough part.

Do I pluck out the extra babies in each section?

I hate to do it.

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2010
12:56 PM

Post #8237841

I'd up-pot them ALL to individual containers, right up to their necks. Then in a couple weeks set them outside or wherever you were going to plant them.

Congrats, flyboy. Looks like you'll be eating tomatoes this winter!

Shoe

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 30, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #8238051

Yes, but notice that most of the small sections have two (and some three) individual plants. Now, do I cull them down to one plant in each container?

I get chicken-hearted when it comes to killing something that is edible.

Be well

(o_O)
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #8238086

Hehehe, yep, I saw those multiple plants...that just means you had great germination, right!? *grin

Sure, you can cull them leaving only one plant per cell, but from the looks of them they'd be better off moved into deeper pots. Don't get me wrong, they look GREAT, but transplanting them will give them a nice strong stem to support that top growth much better, and that means setting them deeper than they are now. If you choose to pot them up you can easily save those extras, potting them up as well. I hope you have room for them all in your garden.

Have fun. (And be brave! You can cull and live through it, flyboy!) :>)

Shoe

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 30, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #8238094

Yep.

It's OK for you to say "Be brave." But I think about all those poor, hungry, and shivering-in-the-cold people who wish that they had them growing, right now..

Be well

(o_O)
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #8238096

I hear that! And I wish I had them growing right now, too. Here's your chance, grow them out and offer tomatoes to those shivering in the cold folks.
Ta-dahh ♫ A win-win situation.

Shoe (who wishes he was fishing on the jetties at Coquina Beach!)

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 30, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #8238140

You couldn't even fill a bucket. Pickings have been slim since the Red Tide days.

And, as for room for the Camparis -- I can use only four -- and have to find foster parents for the rest.

Keep warm.

(o_O)

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 1, 2010
1:22 PM

Post #8239547

Well, I chickened out.

I buried four sections up to their chins out back in the sunshine.

At least the ground will be warmer than tonights breezes through the air.

(o_O)
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2010
1:29 PM

Post #8239558

"Buried up to their chins"...heheh, reminds me of some old cowboy movie for some reason! :>)

Congrats. Hoping you get some good tomatoes. Will be watching this thread for your report.

shoe

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 1, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #8239835

I pounded in five feet tall stakes for them -- so, I hope, I hope, I hope.

But, "Baby it's cold outside."

Be well

(o_O)
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 2, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #8240708

Hello Flyboy! So the northeners chased you out of town. Welcome to the south! LOL I sure hope those Campari produce for you as they are truly delicious and I will follow Carolyn's info and buy the similiar ones from TGS when available.
I've had some serious health problems so I had to cut back from 19 EBs to 8 but still going and will also share with you and Aries44 (Flip) on the production of my limited garden and a BIG HELLO to you SHOE.
Sorry I've been away for so long but I'm backkkkkkk..
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #8240756

Well look who's back! Howdy T-plant! Good to see you. I haven't been to the Containers Forum lately but last time there saw you weren't doing so good...glad you've pulled thru and have your beloved EBs going. And if you're doing 8 of them I'd say you're doing mighty fine. Congrats!

Shoe (who wonders just how cold it is at Longboat Key, especially for a northerner) *grin

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 2, 2010
4:10 PM

Post #8241287

I've been coming here for 35 years -- and a resident for 30. But, once a Bostonian -- always a Bostonian.

It's cold. Supposed to go down into the 40's tonight. It was 51 on my back porch this morning. But -- the sun came out -- and the winds died down -- and It was a quite pleasant day.

We have the gulf and the inland waterway -- they are still about 65 degrees -- so it is not too bad once the sun, and the light breezes, come out.

Welcome back.

Be well

(o_O)
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2010
6:32 AM

Post #8241960

Flyboy-WAY OFF TOPIC are you a Redsox fan? I was lucky enough to be able to take my sons to Fenway to see a 3 game series against the Yankees in April '09. What a great city. OK back to tomatoes.
Lisa

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 3, 2010
11:28 AM

Post #8242422

Lisa:

Let me tell you about the Red Sox. They were really the very greatest, until they sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees in '18 (1918 -- that is.)

They have tried hard since then and have had many successful seasons -- and a couple of pennants. We had seen them many times when we were still in Boston. I was at the Carlton Fisk homer -- and the time Lou Boudreau beat them with a cheap home run. Ted Williams was a real star -- had he been nicer to the fans he could have been elected Mayor of Boston -- but he wasn't. The real heartbreaks were the reputation they had for fading during September.

The only sad part of the Red Sox story is that they cannot come up against the hated Yankees in the World Series.

It was a fantastic old-time ball park. I haven't been in the rebuilt one. And, don't think that I'll ever get the chance.

Boston is a great town -- really a historical gem.

Be well

(o_O)

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #8242672

Thank you for the history lesson. I can't believe you were at those games, my oldest son would love to talk with you. That trip to Fenway was one of the best trips I've ever taken and I've been all over the world! I also like Dodgers Stadium an older ball park also.

Thumbnail by 1lisac

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 3, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #8242748

We had a friend -- that was the only way to be sure of getting good seats (behind first base, of course.)

I remember going to see Wally Berger and Rabbit Maranville of the Braves . .. But, I am old.

While I was a serious fan the Dodgers played in Ebbetts Field, Brooklyn.

Be well

(o_O)
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2010
7:53 AM

Post #8243692

Flyboy, you may be old but that just means you have more great stories to tell, normally I would only get this BB info in books.
Thanks

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 4, 2011

Post #8292269

Happy New Year -- and...

This is what they look like today.

I also have three in the ground. I should say "had four." One got mistaken for a weed and got extirpated by the landscaper -- so there are three. These have stakes, so they should make it.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 4, 2011
1:23 PM

Post #8292279

And one even has buds.

Now -- the wait. Will I get red, juicy, golf ball sized Camparis or potpourri?

The Shadow knows.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 11, 2011
11:20 AM

Post #8304750

Oh, the weather outside is frightful.

But the sun is so delightful.

The tops of the rods are 4 feet high.

Onward and upward.

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8308149

Oh, the sun, the sun. We have sun today too! Should be warming up to the very 40's today, WooHoo! I don't mind one cold snap and one snow. Now we've had it. Time to move on to spring for me!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8308547

No sun here. I don't know how I can want to sleep so much. It just dosen't seem possible.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8312655

Russ Martin, a DGer here has been asking folks to grow out his Camparis for several years. I participated last year with five plants on the F3 gen and have just sent him back the seed from four. I'm sure he would be looking for volunteers this Spring. I can report the results of the dozens of plants I started, if there are any questions here, and the results of the five I grew. Just ask if interested.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8312684

I'm interested. :>)

Shoe
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8313309

Here's the cut and paste version of the note sent to Russ...

"I am sending four individual packets...Campari #1- #3 and Campari IG, which stands for "In Ground", and was the single seed that germinated after being direct sown. All performed well and had good natural disease resistance. The numbers refer to plant growth vigor and timing of first fruiting. Once #2 and #3 caught up with #1 and the IG, the production was pretty equal. They were not highly flavorful, were tough skinned and not good for roasting or sauces. They were just okay for salads. Their best use, IMO is for salsas, in pasta salads or marinated with other vegetables because they stay firm, are on the dry side, like a Roma, and store well."

So in re-reading the above it sounds somewhat negative but they were incredibly prolific and consistent in size and flavor from plant to plant. They were at least as good as the store bought ones and of the smaller variety, not the golf balls. The continued to produce until hard freeze, even surviving six weeks of intermittent frosts.
Laurel

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8313394

I'm interested also.

Paul

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 16, 2011
9:32 AM

Post #8313422

Mine are doing very well.

The blossoms are popping -- and the main stems seem thicker that what I am accustomed to seeing.

(oops) The ones in the pots -- each pot has one degradable starter cube with two, three inch tall, seedlings that was planted in about four inches of of potting soil -- and I've added soil on two occasions -- so it is now pretty close to the top.

The three cubes in the ground are a little slower -- but catching up.

The miracle to me is that they were growing while I was still consuming their cousins. The fruit certainly has a long shelf life!

Be well

(o_O)

This message was edited Jan 16, 2011 4:05 PM
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

January 16, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8313671

If anyone wants to dehybridize a campari type variety I highly suggest the variety Mt Magic F1, which I've grown for two years and offered free seeds for it last year coutesy of Dr. Randy Gardner who bred it, and it's now available at many sites for 2011.

The best money deal for these seeds is at TGS. Trust me that as each new site is reported to have the seeds folks are taking out their abacuses, tweaking the beads and locating the best deals. LOL

And I suggest it b'c of its ability to produce in adverse conditions, its disease tolerant genes bred in for many diseases, which may or may not be applicable to where a person lives and gardens, and it also tastes darn good to boot. LOL

I can link to site where its traits are noted if that would help anyone interested.

Carolyn

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8313685

Thanks, Laurel for sharing your grow-out/critique. Much obliged.

Carolyn, so you've been sharing seeds of Mt Magic F1? Or saved seeds of Mt Magic F1 growouts (F2, etc)? Would this be one that Randy would tell you the parents of, or how many? (I don't want much, do I!?) *grin

Shoe
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8313788

Thanks, Carolyn for the info about Mt. Magic.

And also thanks for the reminder about the abacus! We all had those as children, but I doubt many people actually know what they are these days...you never cease to amuse!
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

January 16, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8314003

Carolyn, so you've been sharing seeds of Mt Magic F1? Or saved seeds of Mt Magic F1 growouts (F2, etc)? Would this be one that Randy would tell you the parents of, or how many? (I don't want much, do I!?) *grin

Shoe, last Jan I did my usual seed offer then I think it was in March I did a separate one for Mt Magic F1, Smarty F1 and Plum Regal F1, all bred by Randy Gardner. Bejo seeds in the Netherlands was supposed to have all three placed commercially in 2010 but it didn't happen. I should correct myself, Smarty F1 was offered by Johnny's Seeds either last year or the year before, it's a grape tomato. MM is a somwhat larger cherry and Plum Regal is a saladette type and I far preferred the other two.

No, I saved no F2 seeds from any of them, but I know there are several folks who breed varieties that are using especially MM in their breeding projects b'c of the tolerances bred in and of course started with saved F2 seeds from the F1, or even crossed the F1 with the proverbial X. LOL

And no, Randy would tell no one what the parents are for any of them b'c he bred them when he was still at NCSU, although retired now but still breeding tomatoes. he sent me seeds for 4 hybrids this past spring and all of the parental inputs were specified in an e-mail, and that's not info to be shared as I'm sure you can inderstand.

Carolyn
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8314182

Yep, I understand. And thanks for the info.

Wish I'd gotten to know him (Randy) before he retired, NCSU is a short drive away.

Much obliged !

Shoe
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

January 16, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8314314

Shoe, he's still in Fletcher most of the time and I'll e-mail you the rest.

But if you're that close to Fletcher then you aren't THAT far from where my brother is about 18 miles north of Asheville, Fletcher being about the same below Asheville, so you darn well should drive up to my brother's place and ID his tomato diseases for him b'c I've given up trying to help him. LOL

He complains all the time that he never had such disease problems when he was living up near me. Oh well.

Carolyn
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8314394

Hah! I love the mountains, 'tis where I grew up.

Maybe I should pick up Craig and Lee and take them. I have a feeling they are better at disease diagnosis than I am.

Thanks...and yes, give me a reason to head to the hills, I need to escape here when I can!

Shoe (who thinks Carolyn is counting down the days to the up-coming tennis matches, sitting and counting out tomato seeds, hollering "Love!" by accident instead of "9,10, 11, 12 seeds...") (ya see, we all know you too well!) grin*

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2011
1:07 PM

Post #8319197

I told ya'll NOT to mess with the tennis matches!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 29, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8336796

Getting closer.

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

beausMom
Goodman, MO

February 3, 2011
10:31 AM

Post #8346801

What green when ripe tomato would you recommend for someone who is new to them. I had trouble knowing when Ananas Noir was ripe. Are there green when ripe tomatoes that tell you when they are ripe by visual clues? I don't understand the spicy description. Spicy like what other food if it is possible to describe the taste. I have read that green zebra is zingy and other places that it is sweet.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

February 3, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8346825

There are those who like the taste of Green Zebra and those who don't and I'm in the lattter group and don't even consider it a typical GW ripe variety.LOL

I don't think I'm very good at explaining taste but almost all of the GWRipe varieties that I've grown do have more of a sweet taste than an aggresive taste and yes, for me most of them are somewhat spicy but I have no comparison spice to compare it with.

Most GWRipes do form an amber blush at the blossom end and even higher than that and when you see that and the fruits are starting to get a bit soft to the touch, then I think it's time to pick them.

For someone new at growing GWripes and not being sure when they are ripe I suggest growing a GWRipe cherry variety b'c on one truss you have fruits at all stages of maturation and you can directly see and sample the ones that are ripe.

I used to grow Green Grape, but haven't ever since the variety Green Doctors came on the scene and I highly suggest GD as the cherry to grow. If you want to grow another, somewhat larger fruited variety I think a good one to start with is Cherokee Green based on the many GWRipes I've grown and I could easily suggest lots more but CG is usually at the top of lots of lists that folks grow and I'd put it there as well.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
beausMom
Goodman, MO

February 3, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8347016

Thanks.That is a good idea to start with a cherry. I just read your snow rant elsewhere and so I am not feeling sorry for myself with 4 dogs in the house last night and 3 below zero this morning. There is one track down the middle of the highway with a foot of snow in the high center. I am going to my mailbox after I get my coveralls on to see if the mail came today; there could be tomato seeds.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8347039

Dr. C,
I just read on another thread that one of our DGers encountered a lady at a compost teaching class. They got into a discussion, and she commented that her tomato crop the year before was not good. But this year she had a bumper crop.

She grew them in:
A large bag of dog food
A large bag of kitty litter
A large bag of alfalfa

Would you comment on why this would or would not work, please.

Thanks!
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

February 3, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8351732

But this year she had a bumper crop.

She grew them in:
A large bag of dog food
A large bag of kitty litter
A large bag of alfalfa

Would you comment on why this would or would not work, please

If the woman teaching the class had a bumper crop using the above. well, I dunno, I wouldn't use any of them. And did she tell others what amendments she used or whether the above were grown strictly in just the above or mixed with something else.

Dog food? I have no idea what the NPK is but it shouldn't be too far off but the stuff would have to be pulverized first. Tomato roots don't chomp down food and digest it as would a doggie, and I havve no idea if she was talkiong about wet or solid dog food.

Kitty Litter? There are all kinds with different compositions but I can't think any of them have any NPK worthwhile, usually none of them do except what one might find in clay.

Alfalfa? Almost pure N, many folks use the pellets to fertilize with but I've never heard of anyone growing anything in pure alfalfa and it too would have to be pulverized.

Nope, not for me, not any of them in any form whatsoever. ( smile)

Carolyn

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8351799

Thanks for the feedback. Dr. C!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2011
9:20 AM

Post #8355307

My Dollar Tree sells bags of kitty litter that is 100% DE, and I use it a lot to mix in with all sorts of soil- it helps aeration and drainage.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2011
11:27 AM

Post #8355508

Joe,
What's the brand name on your Dollar Tree kitty litter?
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8355826

A bit off topic, but since the thread turned to NPK fertilizers, I've been meaning to mention one I've started using.

I ordered a liter of "Algoflash" liquid fertilizer from Shumway along with some seeds, and I've been using it on our potted plants for about a month. A capful of the fertilizer goes in every gallon of water, and it's used every time the plants are watered - one bottle doses 128 gallons. So far, I've been real happy with it.

I got the "tomato" formulation because it's 4-6-8, a little higher in phosphorus. The fertilizer also contains many trace minerals in small amounts. Our indoor-in-the winter plants are going nuts - I've never seen them look this good.

In particular, my pot of Maui Purple Pepper plants has thrived. The plants are by a window looking out at the snow, they're a foot taller than they've ever been, and they're blooming and setting on peppers like crazy.

I'm not saying that this fertilizer brand is better than anyone else's, you understand - just that it's sure working for me. Once I get tomatoes in the garden, in addition to my regular fertilizer and compost practices, I think I'll go around with a watering can every couple of weeks and give them some "Algoflash". Can't hurt.

Thumbnail by Ozark

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2011
4:24 PM

Post #8356096

Gymgirl, here ya go- 3 photos that tell the story- I checked last year if DE is harmful to earthworms and was told no- I use many bags of it during the summer- it's great to add to container soil, too.

Thumbnail by JoParrott

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8356101

The actual stuff-

Thumbnail by JoParrott

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8356106

And the ingredient label- all this for $1 a 5lb bag!

Thumbnail by JoParrott

Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 6, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8357422

Since this is a Q&A thread I hope that you don't mind if I ask a question. I planted 4 tomato plants and out of the 4 there is one that's loosing the bottom leaves. They turn yellow and fall of. It's a Heirloom Beefsteak. Don't know if it's normal since the other 3 are all green and with fruit. This one is just starting to bloom even though it's one of the tallest plants and I'm just a bit concerned. If photos are needed just let me know.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

February 7, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8358534

A question and answer thread? Here's what Carolyn said when Flyboy decided on the title of this thread, and said it back in Novermber:

(Carolyn, who doesn't really need or want a sticky devoted to her just answering questions. LOL)

Flyboy has done the majority of the posts here following the matruation of plants, but I think everyone should be able to contribute, I really do.

That being said, what are the variety names of the four that you planted and did you buy them as plants or raise them from seed and are they inground or in containers?

it's normal to have lower leaves drop off but not for just one variety out of four. IS there anything at all that you can think of that makes that one plant different from the others in terms of where it's being grown and whether you've grown tomatoes in the past in that specific area?

On that one plant do you see any spots on the lower leaves before they fall off and if so can you please describe what they look like as to size and shape and color and if there are any yellow halos around those spots?

Carolyn

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

February 8, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8361127

Well, they are round like Camparis.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

February 8, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8361129

And healthy, so far.

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

alpinejs
Alpine, CA

February 11, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8367443

Carolyn...as a fairly recent convert to the tomato cult and already a Carolyn fan, I was just curious if you ever attended
the Tomatofest in Monterrey, CA (Gary Ibsen). Regrettably, it ceased to exist before my tomato interest began to
exist, but I think I would loved to have attended. My question...are you aware of any similar tomato fairs in Calif.,
Nev. or Ariz.? Before venturing much further, I would have to see just how nutso I get over tomatoes.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

February 12, 2011
2:57 AM

Post #8367579

While I've known Gary since about 1990, he used to subscribe to an International newsletter on heirlooms that Craig LeHoullier and I published back then, I've had no interest in attending his former Tomatofest event.

That NORCAL thread gets more active as the time when the event is held gets closer, which is true for all the regional events.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn, who welcomes you to the tomato obsessed club. LOL

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8367907

Thanks for the info Carolyn, I didn't know there was a listing of tasting events around the country.
I'll have to get ours listed, it will be our 3rd year.

Paul
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

February 12, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8368013

Thanks for the info Carolyn, I didn't know there was a listing of tasting events around the country.
I'll have to get ours listed, it will be our 3rd year.

Paul, I don't know that there is a listing of tasting events around the country.

Some of the events have seed and plant trades as well as for sure tasting events later in the season.

There are maybe 7-8 of these around the country such as the Buffalo area as well as Cincinatti, Raleigh/Durham, Mid-Atalantic as well as the NORCAL one and right now I can't remember the rest of them.

Carolyn

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8368901

Carolyn,
My seedlings seem to be "drooping". The leaves are curling downward. All of the larger more established ones growing in two different rooms.

Also, they seem to be getting a little pale. I don't think they need water 'cause the soil is moist. It's also very cold. Could they need some heat?

Thanks.

Linda

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8379044

If you propagate a hybrid tomato from a stem cutting will it be true to what you started with? Will it revert back to one of the parent plants?
Thanks

Paul
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8379165

It'll be the same as the hybrid, Paul. I do it all the time (cus I'm too cheap to buy extra seeds). :>)

Shoe (overheating in this wonderful 77* weather we are having in February!)

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8379200

Thanks Shoe
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8379340

Your welcome. It's a great way to make plants for a second crop, especially if you are dealing with determinates that will poop out on you at some point. Root some suckers and you'll have plants for setting out, getting that last little bit of season out of the year.

Shoe

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

February 28, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8398208

So i was at Sam's and was checking up on the tomatoes. The Camparis are $5.37 for a two pound box -- so I am thrilled.

One more week to go.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

February 28, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8398211

Not that I plan to sell them, but my neighbors will appreciate them even more.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

February 28, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8398213

Maybe I'll patent this setup. It's great for planting where you have no ground space.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 6, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8410157

Camparis and the beanstalks.

How tall will they grow?

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 6, 2011
9:55 AM

Post #8410173

So, with all the talk about Mountain Magics, I ordered some seeds from TG.

I'll start them when these plants finally bolt.

But -- I think I've one week to go before the test. And I believe that I am supposed to let them get really red.

Be well

(o_O)

This message was edited Mar 6, 2011 5:02 PM

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 11, 2011
10:53 AM

Post #8420379

Deeeee -- licious.

My grandson pronounced them so -- and took a couple back to New York for my great-grandson and great-granddaughter.

And here they are $4.09 a pound at Publix.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 11, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8420384

And, look at the size of one of the clusters.

(That shiny thing on top is a dime.)

Be well.

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

RussMartin4154
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2011
11:55 PM

Post #8427770

I have Campari F4 seeds.
RussMartin4154
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2011
12:34 AM

Post #8427781

beausMom wrote:What green when ripe tomato would you recommend for someone who is new to them. I had trouble knowing when Ananas Noir was ripe. Are there green when ripe tomatoes that tell you when they are ripe by visual clues? I don't understand the spicy description. Spicy like what other food if it is possible to describe the taste. I have read that green zebra is zingy and other places that it is sweet.

If you like a good, BIG tomato that is GWR, you might like Malakhitovaya Shkatulka ("Malachite Box"). Ripe when there's just a hint of pink on the bottom. It grew well here, winning a Gold for taste and a Bronze for size at our local tomato contest (see http://www.bensonfarmersmarket.org/page/the-good-the-big-and-the-ugly). The taste has (to me) just a hint of citrus on top of mild tomato flavor; I liked it, as did everyone who tasted it. I don't care especially for Green Zebra, but I know others who like it a lot. I don't know anyone who describes Green Zebra as "sweet".

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 20, 2011
10:46 AM

Post #8438374

Today.

The one in the ground.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 20, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8438380

Those in the pots.

I have already gotten my money back in fruit.

Is anyone interested in F3 seeds?

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

lrbaldwin
Powhatan, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2011
12:11 PM

Post #8456182

What an OUTSTANDING forum and bunch of folks here! I just joined and have loads of questions. I got interested in Camparis because I assumed that since I purchased them in the winter and they were from Canada, they must be good greenhouse candidates. I bought a little 6X6 portable greenhouse and ordered 6 Mountain Magic plants from Burpee. I live in Powhatan, VA, which some zone maps say is 7a, but another map shows a little area in the middle of the state that includes Richmond and Powhatan (30 mi west) as zone 6b. Burpee wouldn't ship the plants earlier than their 6b time, so I'm having them sent to a friend in the Outer Banks of NC where we have a little cottage (Duck) with a small herb and salad garden. That seems to be 8a. They should arrive in NC the first week in April and I'll bring them back home to the greenhouse, wait till mid April to plant in Duck, May 1 in Powhatan. I also fermented and cleaned the seeds from one grocery store Campari, and have 100% germination, skinny teeny little things. Now for a bunch of questions:
1. Are the plants from Burpee F1? I did pass my botany class, but that was somewhere around 1966, so I don't remember anything about genetics. Could somebody give me a quick explanation of F1, F2, F3 WRT to these camparis?
2. Do the grocery store tomato seeds have any chance of producing tomatoes like their parent?
3. If I save seed from the Burpee tomatoes, will they be F2, and what does that mean for trying to grow plants from those seeds?
4. My main goal is to get some winter tomatoes. In Duck, we can often go well into December without a frost. Would August be a good time to plant a new plant there, or should I start in July? Would it just be a lot safer to buy the seeds from TGS and start them myself, or could I try starting from cuttings from the Burpee plants? Or would the whole project not be worthwhile because the days will be short and so much cooler than summer? This is zone 8a
5. I've never had a greenhouse before. I'm thinking maybe I could plant a campari late (again, don't know what date) in a huge pot, let it grow outside through, say, mid September, and then put it in the greenhouse (zone 6b). I have a cheap heater in there and a pretty good greenhouse thermostat that has been able to keep the temp around 50 degrees when the outdoor temp was in the low 20s.

Thanks,
Linda

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 28, 2011
1:39 PM

Post #8456382

That's a handful. Allow me to try.

1. F! are the original seeds. Then it is progressive. F2 are seeds from F1, et cetera I would assume that Burpees are F1.

2. This thread is about Campari tomatoes in a two pound box (from Mexico) purchased at Sam's Club.

3. They'll be F2's.

4. If you follow the thread you can see how long it took from seed to fruit. But, I am in Zone 9b. As far as cuttings go, I haven't tried them for tomatoes. Good luck.

5. Huge pot is correct. I have to water the five pots every day.

Welcome aboard. Be well (o_O)

Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

March 28, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8457124

I've grown Mountain Magic for two years now, seeds sent to me by the Breeder Dr. Randy Gardner of NCSU.

So I'll try as well.

The Burpee Plants will be F1 plants but it would have been a heck of a lot cheaper to buy the MM F1 seeds from the many places that are selling them, but TGS has the best price.

Since MMF1 is a hybrid the saved seeds will be viable but the plants you get will probably be different from the original F1 plants and fruits b'c F1's are not stable. If you sow lots of the F2 seeds and then lots of F2 plants you will see what's called genetic segregation. That is, some of the parental inputs in the construction of MM F1 may , probably will, show different plants and fruits, and you may find something you like If so save seeds from many fruits on that plant, now the F3 seeds and repeat what you've already dine, selecting for that plant and fruit until what you have is called Open pollinated, OP, selection, which is not longerMM F1.

And that means that every seed you sow gives rise to the same plants and fruits.

It can take from 5-7 years to get to the OP state.

Frankly I wouldn't bother. The parentage for MM F1 is complex and I think it's cheaper and more expedient to just buy the seeds.

I f you want to take sucker cuttings from the F1 Burpee plants you can do that but I'mnot so sure about the timing as you've described it

As for timing, I have many friends in NC and they're just now sowing seed and I mean in Raleigh, Efland and I forget where Lee lives. My brother lives about 20 miles north of Asheville and so it's cooler there.

I've forgotten all your place and timing other questions b'c I'm tired and want to go to bed, LOL, but if you could tell me if my post helped and what questions I didn't answer that would help a lot/

Carolyn, who forgot tosay that the store bought Camapari's are F1 hybrids so just follow alongwith what I said about MMF1/

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 29, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8458267

lr~

Oops. I forgot the last tomato - wrt From what I known it is a router gimmick for networking computers. Oh yes, and WRT means With Reference To.

and:

The surgery for creating F2's is about to commence.

Here is the mother -- six feet tall and reaching into the sky.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2011 11:31 AM

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 29, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8458269

And the candidates, ready to be de-seeded.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 29, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8458270

Almost there.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 29, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8458278

They are safely in the incubator.

Meanwhile back with the pots.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8458591

flyboyFL, Post#8458278 is such a good photo, I can almost smell the tomatoes! That would be a good screen saver =D.
lrbaldwin
Powhatan, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8458627

flyboy, thanks for the info and the welcome! I think the plants from Burpee and some seeds for planting mid summer will do for this year. I'm enjoying watching your progress.

Linda
lrbaldwin
Powhatan, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8458651

Carolyn, thanks for the great info. I went ahead and ordered seeds for mid summer planting, got them for $3.95 for 10 from Johnnyseeds.com. At that price I won't be throwing 3 seeds in each little pot! The seeds are probably more expensive than the pots. You've convinced me not to count on seeds from grocery store tomatoes, but I'll find some place to plant one of them just for fun.

My garden in NC is on the Outer Banks, so there probably won't be another frost. Here in Powhatan we don't generally put in tomatoes until the first of May, probably about the same as inland NC. We're on the east side of a dune about 1100' from the ocean, so the wind is pretty brisk in the spring. I planted a Celebrity and a San Marzano a week ago since I have a bunch of them from seed. If the wind destroys them, I'll just plant some more in a couple weeks. The garden there is for our renters, so I like to have a few early tomatoes for them in June.

Linda

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8458681

"I went ahead and ordered seeds for mid summer planting, got them for $3.95 for 10 from Johnnyseeds.com. At that price I won't be throwing 3 seeds in each little pot"

I cannot find the Campari seeds on Johnny's.
Do they call them a different name?

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8458731

Carolyn, I thought the Compari seeds were proprietary and not for sale .

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8458755

uh-uh. I'm feeling post #8458278 is a calendar entry!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 30, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8460133

Luckily we are having company.

So, who has a recipe?

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8460148

What a beautiful photo, flyboy!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 30, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8460160

Thanks -- and delicious, too.

Be well

(o_O)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8460329

Too cute!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

April 27, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8524001

Gone to compost

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

April 27, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8524002

Still chugging along.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

April 27, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8524007

One cluster.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8553479

I haven't been able to log in to
http://tatianastomatobase.com
for several days.

Does anyone know if her site is down?

Corey

P.S. I have some Black Russian seeds coming from Hazzards, if anyone wants to trade.
From what I read about them:

Black Russian
72 days (or 78 days)
rich old fashioned complex heirloom flavor
sweet taste with spicy and smoky undertones
turns dark red-black (mahogany red) when mature
Heavy producer and early!
Hazzards T8791

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2011
11:09 AM

Post #8554873

Rick,
I'm game for some Black Russian seeds. I don't have much in the way of tomato seeds to offer in return, but I've got loads of fresh cole crop seeds for sowing starting mid-June. LMK in a dmail!

Linda

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

May 17, 2011
1:41 PM

Post #8569656

What a revelation!

You know those little cubes that the roots grow right through -- well they don't.

These are the little devils

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

May 17, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8569662

Well I just started to recycle the plant mixture -- and this is what I found.

The cube is intact -- and all the growth is upward.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

May 17, 2011
1:45 PM

Post #8569669

Luckily I had the foresight to plant them deep.

And it wasn't just one cube. They all were the same.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

May 17, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8569671

These are the cubes

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8569700

I am sooooooooooooooooooo glad you posted this! I just cleared out my garage to gather all my seed-starting paraphernalia for sowing again in mid-June, and I ran across whole packages of peat pots and peat pellets, and thought, "hmmmm. no sense in these going to waste..."

Are the peat pots (they're single little pots) the same as those thingies you used?

I recall the roots grew through the peat pots, and definitely through the peat pellets...problem was keeping them watered properly. They stay too wet and/or dry out too fast.

Thanks!

Linda

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

May 17, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8569812

I really do not know.

I have used these for years -- and never checked the results. I usually put them into the ground. This time they were in pots.

But, these would be a disaster if they were planted high.

Be well

(o_O)
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8570665

I always water peat pots from the bottom. Dry pots = pot bound.
toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8572256

I've used peat pots in the past and found them to get moldy. I would always peel the pot away from the plant and then put it in the ground. I have a stack of those things in the basement somewhere. I prefer to use the peat pellets now. They work great for me; water from the bottom and they soak up what they need and when it's time for potting up, I always take off the netting even if it disturbs some of the roots. They never show any distress and take off once in the bigger pots (16 oz. cups).
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2011
6:24 AM

Post #8573422

Yup, I'll chime in. Not a fan of the peat pots. This season I used pellets from a store over in Dallas Drthor recommended. I don't think they are totally peat (bat guano added). My older son is in college and visits the area with his friends every now and again so he picked some pellets up for me. Definitely had some nice veg starts this year!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

May 19, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8574860

I will defnitely have to find me some pellets

Be well

(o_O)

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8574867

terry-emory, I am glad that you enjoy Texas Hydroponic store.
I love the Roots Organic products.
I have millions of tomatoes, pepper and eggplants already this year thanks to their products ... and maybe luck !!
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2011
8:54 PM

Post #8575015

Toni and Terri, I'm a bit particular with my peat pots. There are problems with the small ones (rotting, confining, etc.). I like starting with the 5-6" pots and about an inch of soil. As the plants develop their first set of true leaves, we watch them carefully and continue to add fresh soil to the pots. With larger volumes of soil, the roots spread. They are also not so sensitive to drying between watering if necessary. The we start to put them into direct sunlight by putting them into the car of van under the windshield (front or back) in a car we don't often use. (Our own personal greenhouse.)

When we plant, we tend to wet an d rip the peat pots, but in any case we plant deep to encourage more root growth.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

June 10, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8622008

I have to pull them out so that i can get the Mountain Magics into the ground.

But, they are almost 8 feet tall and still putting buds out.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 15, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9359003

Carolyn~

I can see that you are alive and hopefully well -- and I have a question.

This is a Mountain Magic second generation.

What is happening? It looks like a rorschach test.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

December 15, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9359243

LEt's just say that I am alive and good grief why did you ever bring this thread back to the first page. LOL

Yes, I know what that disease is, but can't remember the name right now so will have to check it out and get back to you when I can.

Just too much catching up to do after being off line for almost three weeks and now dealing with a new computer.

I think it maybe Buckeye Rot, but would like to confirm that. It's a systemic disease, not a foliage disease. Maybe you can go to one of the good disease sites and check it out, starting perhaps with ones from FL.

Carolyn

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 15, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9359300

New computer! My, aren't you the brave one. You are gutsy. Me, I keep my abacus handy -- and still remember the "times" tables. Remember when Dick Tracy had a two-way wrist radio and Buck Rogers could actually fly through space. (But, if i remember correctly, it was "Buck Rogers in the 25th century!"

It affected only that one tomato, so far. I will check around! The blemish actually seems confined. I don't know whether I should pull it off and send it swimming -- or wait and see what develops.

Glad you are back at work here.

Be well

(o_O).

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

February 6, 2013
9:00 AM

Post #9410191

OK carolyn:

I have a new one for you.

First time, i am infested with some kind of "miner" that is chewing through my Mountain Magic and Campari leaves. It has not infected the black ones.

Should I pinch them off -- spray and nuke them -- or just grin and bear it?

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9410600

That is one voracious herd of miners you got there!
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

February 6, 2013
7:51 PM

Post #9410764

Yes, BAD leaf miiner infection.

I'd pick off the worst leaves, research has indicated that the plants can stand about 1/2 leaf loss and still ripen the fruits. Spraying does little since the miners are inside the leaves.

And only plants where the vector has landed and laid the eggs go on to have miner problems, so i don't think it is JUST the black varieties that escapeed, theoreticaly it could be any variety color.

Being in FL I know it's a bad problem andif it were me I'd consult the experts;. have you Googled the U of FL to find their fact sheet on leaf miners and theirlife cycle and their suggestions as to what to do? I know I would.

Carolyn
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2013
6:44 AM

Post #9411915

Bummer about the miners, but the 'maters still look OK.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

February 8, 2013
6:51 AM

Post #9411929

Thanks.

I hear and I obey!

Be well

(o_O)
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9412214

I've read that some of their life cycle is completed in the soil. If they are that bad, my bet would be that they are also in the soil. From what I remember the adult looks like a small fly.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

February 9, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9412865

I don't know.

We had them up North on the birches. They were controllable with malathion. I hesitate to use chemicals on my tomatoes. Visitors have a tendency to just pop them into their mouths, off the plants.

So, I gave the plants a close hair cut.

Be well

(o_O).

Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

February 9, 2013
6:15 AM

Post #9412903

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=tomato leaf miner life cycle&oq=tomato leaf miner cycle&gs_l=hp.1.0.0i8i30.3419.12050.0.15156.23.18.0.5.5.0.537.4679.0j3j12j1j1j1.18.0.les;..0.0...1c.1.2.hp.t9n6N7ThrIU&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42080656,d.dmg&fp=e552f9cb503139c2&biw=1035&bih=376

There are many different species of leaf miners and only certain ones affect tomatoes, as noted in the Google search above which has the general life cycle that all of them go through.

Carolyn

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

February 9, 2013
7:11 AM

Post #9412958

Boy, they are mean things.

My tomatoes look even greener with their haircuts.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 19, 2014
1:22 PM

Post #9793142

I guess I have been enjoying a charmed life -- until this happened.

The gray mold started on my Black Cherry and is starting to spread to its neighbors.

What is it -- how do I get rid of it?

We need you, Carolyn.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2014
2:09 PM

Post #9793206

Carolyn has been having some health problems.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

March 19, 2014
5:02 PM

Post #9793387

Paul is correct, not so much health problems per se but I fell march 7th, EMT's said I was OK, next day not as to pulled muscles in my back, very painful, ended up having to get to the ER by ambulance to be sure I hadn;t broken anything, I hadn;t, but consequences from what the ER MD said I should take for spasms and pain and I won't go into that at all.

Probably tomorrow I can get back about Grey Mold, which I've also had to deal with just a few times, as well as you know it's Grey Mold and not Late Blight, which it resembles.and give you a link or two.

Carolyn

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 20, 2014
5:37 AM

Post #9793642

Carolyn:

Thank you for your response -- and I am sorry to hear about your mishap. But -- happy to hear that you are on the mend.

Welcome to super-maturity. Falling, however, does come into play. I just heard about a new product, by one of the security companies, that sends out an alarm to its control center IF the wearer suffers a fall -- and, sends EMS help.. Seems better than having "Big Brother' watching over one.

I am awaiting your "grey mold" advice with bated breath.

Be well

(o_O)
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

March 20, 2014
10:57 AM

Post #9793881

[HYPERLINK@www.google.com]

Above a Google search with plenty of info about Grey Mold/

I'd check the Cornell link to start with as to diagnosis and how to treat, but there are several other links that also address that as well.

There's also a FL site about diseases and how to treat but I didn't take the time to search for that one but you might do that via Google.

Carolyn

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 20, 2014

Post #9793962

Carolyn:

Thank you. Will do.

Be well

(o_O)

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 21, 2014
3:52 PM

Post #9794883

So, I read many of the links and am still at a loss. Reading them doesn't seem to come up with an answer. Seems like the best idea is Agent Orange or a Flame Thrower.

But, mine started in a Black Cherry and started working across a line of adjacent pots.

I isolated the miscreant after excising all of the infected lateral leaves. The fruit are OK.

I followed instructions in one of the youtube links and made a witches brew of baking soda and vegetable oil in water -- and sprayed the remaining plants in the row. Now I am waiting -- and hoping.

Has anyone ever managed to actually stem the malady?

Be well

(o_O)
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

March 22, 2014
6:43 AM

Post #9795247

[HYPERLINK@www.google.com]

I wasn't sure if you went looking for the FL Disease sites as I suggested in a post above, so above is a Google link to those.

I think it's the thirid one down that says that grey mold and other fungal diseases can only be prevented, but not cured, by prior application of anti-fungals, of which Chlorothalonil is mentioned, that's Daconil, which is the best antifungal that I know of, and also Mancozeb.

If you use Daconil it's the concentrate you want with active ingredient of something like 26%, I can't remember the exact % but that's in the ballpark.

I don't want to get into organic or not here, Daconil is not, but it has lower toxicity than does Rotenone ( organic), which is approved by every organic cerrtifying agency I know of. Which is why I think it's very wrong to say that organic is good and synthetic is not.

Carolyn

Carolyn

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 23, 2014
12:49 PM

Post #9796177

Thank you, Carolyn:

That is what I thought about trying to cure it. Impossible!!!

I sprayed with the baking soda and vegetable oil -- and cut everything with grey spots on it -- and said a little prayer.

None of the fruit has been affected -- but I am starting to set out new seeds,

It is tough when does not own a quarter section -- or so.

Walk carefully -- and be well.

(o_O)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America