Photo by Melody

Antiques and Collectibles: Hoping for an ID for this unusual artifact...

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 70, Views: 752
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #8216005

I had a friend give me this a couple of months ago. He said he found it at a garage sale and paid a couple dollars for it. He just knew I would like it and he was right!

I have shown it to many folks and have had lots of guesses but I would love to know what it is. Perhaps then I can isolate when it was made.

It is carved from an antler.

This message was edited Nov 17, 2010 6:42 AM

Thumbnail by podster
Click the image for an enlarged view.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2010
7:38 PM

Post #8216018

The pea pod on the side of the antler is accented by pea vines winding over the antler.

The carving detail is so good that you can actually feel the "swell" of the peas in the pod.

It measures 6 3/4 inches in length.

Thumbnail by podster

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2010
7:41 PM

Post #8216028

The carving detail is quite good.

In the opinion of all who have looked at it, it is hand carved.

This end has a carved hinge.

Thumbnail by podster

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #8216036

The hinged end also has a delicate lanyard loop below it.

Thumbnail by podster

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2010
7:45 PM

Post #8216038

It is hollowed out for storage of some sort and the imagination runs wild...

Thumbnail by podster

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #8216043

And lastly, it is signed...

What a treasure, but I have no idea where to start researching this. Is it of any value? Historical or otherwise? Any thoughts? Any other sights where I could post it? Please share your ideas...

Thumbnail by podster

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 16, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #8216044

It looks like some kind of sewing implement... storage for sinew/thread, hole at the end for threading a needle?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #8216052

Interesting, I've heard so many suggestions but that wasn't mentioned.

That could be it, although I don't think that eye would work for threading the needle.

The hollow inside is narrow but runs the length of the antler so what fits in it will need to be small.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 16, 2010
7:55 PM

Post #8216060

It is probably tramp art. Lots of those things were made by men riding trains from one place to another looking for work in the 30's.
Hard to say what might have been stored in it.
Very defiantly, I would guess a one of a kind object.

Bernie
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2010
7:59 PM

Post #8216071

Definitely made by someone with more time on their hands as well as talent.

I've had a few different law officers look at it and they suggested it was used for drugs but I didn't know any hippies that were that ambitious or creative.

I did tell them they could run tests on it for residue if they wanted to ~ but no takers yet.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 16, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #8216083

Check this out. Go to bottom of the first page & click on whimsy items. Also on the left side the link to hobo art tells a lot.
http://www.folkartisans.com/sup/tramhist.html

This message was edited Nov 16, 2010 11:09 PM
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #8216096

What a cool link ~ thank you. I need to peruse it more thoroughly.

I've seen lots of tramp art over the years. Some which I have collected. Most commonly wooden carvings and some in the south where they decorated intricately with sea shells. Have you ever seen a monkey carved from a peach seed? Strange things, anything is possible.

This piece may be tramp art but to me it just seems to have a different flavor. Just not sure about that but it is worth my researching it. Thank you...
keepingactive
Thousand Oaks, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 16, 2010
9:08 PM

Post #8216141

I don't think it is Tramp Art. it is too delicate. Could it have been used as a Hat Pin holder?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2010
9:14 PM

Post #8216147

Interesting idea! I had not thought of a hat pin holder.

One friend that is a barber suggested a straight razor holder. It would have to be a thin straight razor. But it shows no internal signs of use. No wear where a hard surfaced item had been taken in and out. A hat pin wouldn't leave wear marks I am sure.
keepingactive
Thousand Oaks, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 16, 2010
9:26 PM

Post #8216159

Okay, I take back my hat pin holder idea. I googled wood hat pin holders and could not fine one. It is wood, not ivory or imitation ivory? Too long for toothpick holder, too short for knitting needles...ah, what a mystery.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 16, 2010
9:46 PM

Post #8216163

That sounds like a terrific idea! and tramp art could be delicate, too, couldn't it?
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2010
2:56 AM

Post #8216258

It is very beautiful.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2010
3:53 AM

Post #8216292

I see a face on the insignia. Looks primitive. The 1st thing that slapped my brain was a snuff container.

If you have an ebay account and a place to put pictures I would try this discussion thread.

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/forum/Antiques/13
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2010
4:41 AM

Post #8216335

CountryGardens ~ I got lost in that tramp art site. Nice stuff but I didn't seen any made from antlers. Whew! The prices are definitely out of my league ~ lol

Schickenlady ~ I would consider this more vintage than primitive. I think I feel that way because of the quality of the engraving work and that it is "signed" so distinctively. I just don't know.

I do have an ebay account but have never seen the discussion thread. I've sold some there but mostly shopped. I will have to check that out this next weekend when I have spare time. I have trouble hanging with y'all on DG during the week ( lol ) but thank you.

Kobwebz ~ I agree! It is beautiful. I only wish you all could run your hands over it and feel the finish, the patina. It gives off an illusion of age, of being something very important to someone. I only wish it could tell its' tale.

Tallulah_B ~ I agree, some of the tramp art was very ornate, very delicate. It truly deserves a place in collecting history.

Keepingactive ~ It is not wood, ivory or imitation ivory. It is made from antler or horn. The men that have admired it say it does not appear to be antler from a common game animal like the deer in the US. Which only contributes to the puzzle.

edited to add commonly known as stag. The antler would have marrow in the center like a bone. That is why the center is hollow. I would guess the hinged end is the base of the antler but the end cap was fitted very well.

You know, I noticed something after I took these photos that I hadn't seen before. I posted this photo above but the pea vine actually twines around the hinge pin and when it comes out on the other side, it sprouts a leaf. It is so delicately interesting...

This message was edited Nov 17, 2010 6:42 AM

This message was edited Nov 17, 2010 6:53 AM

Thumbnail by podster

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2010
9:12 AM

Post #8216805

Rephrase - I see a face on the insignia and the insignia looks primitive
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 17, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #8216850

Could it be an Eskimo carving? Whatever, it's gorgeous...intricate carving.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #8217557

I wish I could find a resource for the way it is signed. That might tell me more.

I do find it fascinating every time I handle it. The gardening part of me makes me think it may have been for seed storage. I wonder if there was some significance about the pea pod and vine. In fact, by carving the whole container seems to resemble a large pod. To the left of the pod, you can see the seam that was carved down to the end.

Thumbnail by podster

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #8217560

Here you can see the ribbed seam that runs the length of the antler, culminating in the carving on the right side that resembles the end of a pea pod.

Thumbnail by podster

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2010
5:12 PM

Post #8217565

Schickenlady ~ I had never seen the face in the insignia until you pointed it out. I just assumed it was a letter?

Thumbnail by podster

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #8217569

Guess it depends on which way it is turned...

Eskimo might be worth researching, thank you BigBubbles.

Thumbnail by podster

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2010
5:06 AM

Post #8218088

To me looks like it could be Scrimshaw.
Scrimshaw - a carving (or engraving) on whalebone, whale ivory, walrus tusk, etc., usually by American whalers

This message was edited Nov 18, 2010 2:54 PM

Thumbnail by schickenlady

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2010
10:15 AM

Post #8218699

http://www.antiquescrimshaw.net/
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2010
10:46 AM

Post #8218770

Depending on the region, the containers are made from gourds, bamboo, bone, carved wood etc…and often have finely detailed stoppers. In Indonesia and Asia in general, shapes and materials used for the receptacles that will contain lime powder or betel differ from country to country.The receptacles, boxes and carry-cases for the lime powder are generally superbly carved with a great variety of human figures, animals, plants portraying important aspects of each culture and referring to the status of the owner.

I hope I am closer!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #8219474

I hope you are closer too ~ lol I am intrigued by the idea of it being scrimshaw. What an elegant piece in your photo.

Cville_Gardener ~ unfortunately, I am on dial up and that site won't load the photos for me. I will try it tomorrow at work if given the opportunity. Thanks for the link.

Most of the men that have looked at this are in agreement that it is a horn or antler of some type. The color and rough texture seen running the length of this indicate that it is an antler. It actually has more of that but I didn't take photos as it was left intact when the carving was done. One older man that we know used to work with genuine ivory and he eliminated that right off.

If I were to guess, I would suspect this was from the Asia but am not sure why. Please tell me what lime powder would be used for?

One man that researches the old west, commented that it could have been a container for priming powder for flintlock rifles. He also said that in the early days in this country, black pepper was highly valued ~ commonly called black gold. He said it may have been a container for that.

I appreciate all the ideas and suggestions. I look forward to seeing the scrimshaw link tomorrow too. Thanks pod

as a side question: could this possibly be a bone? Has anyone seen bone with the brown textured markings of an antler?

This message was edited Nov 19, 2010 6:29 AM

Thumbnail by podster

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #8246099

Pod: Have you found out any more about that beautiful item?? I just came across this thread and it got me googling ... I'm always so curious about interesting finds.

Anyway, I found these carved Needle Case's that are not very attractive whatsoever, but look to be the same peapod shaped carving as your item, just no intricate vine detail:

http://www.rubylane.com/ni/iteml/137916-pj5008#pic1

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/h/item/6459721?ah=306-f821e&category=&itemtype=all

And, not a peapod but I found this item with a similar shape: http://compare.ebay.com/like/270666354104?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2010
9:21 PM

Post #8246209

Thanks for looking at some different items for me. No, I still do not have an ID for this unusual piece. The friend that gave it to me stops by occasionally to see if I have had any luck. He is humored by my curiousity.

The needle cases you located are interesting. They are along the same lines as this only smaller in length. I have one friend ( a barber ) that spent Saturday afternoon trying to convince me that it is a straight razor case. He even built a scenario of the type of gent that carved it and carried it.

We have a distant acquaintance that married a lady in China. She dabbles in Chinese antiques. I sent her photos in hopes she may have a clue.

Another friend ( a retired Air Force pilot ) was in over Thanksgiving. He was fascinated by it and thought it was more Mediterranean in style rather than from the Far East or the Orient. His son took photos and is researching the signature although I don't think he will have any success. He called it a trademark and I think it is a signature on a work of art.

I could only wish you all could handle it, run your fingers over the pod and feel the swell of the peas in the pod. Trace the intricate vine and tendrils as they wrap around the case and entwine the hinge pin to leaf out on the other side. It is delightful to watch peoples' faces and hands when they look at it for the first time.

I feel there is a significance to the pea pod. Religious or otherwise, like some cultures consider a specific plant to be a connection to fertility or health. I may never know what it is or where it came from but have enjoyed sharing the wonder of it immensely.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2010
2:13 AM

Post #8246326

Fascinating ... yes, when will the mystery be solved??? :-)
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #8246452

You know, that might just take all the fun out of it. The charm and interest might lie in the mystery. LOL

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2010
5:59 AM

Post #8246503

That's quite possible. At first I thought it might be designed to hold larger needles for mending fishing nets, sails, etc. ... but I can't reconcile that with the "pea" motif.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #8246519

I guess it comes down to a DNA test to find out what type of bone/horn/whatever it is?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2010
6:27 AM

Post #8246546

Ouch ~ that (a DNA test) would bend my pocketbook. After all, it only cost the person that gave it to me two dollars but I'd bet he wouldn't be willing to spring for a DNA test. LOL
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 6, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #8246608

Have you smelled the inside for any detectable scent? If the container was for holding tobacco I'd think an odor would remain.

I'm thinking it's a Native American item of some sort. I think some tribes believed man came from a pea pod or at least I think I remember reading something about a pea pod in Native American culture.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2010
7:44 AM

Post #8246656

No ~ no odor at all. That is the first thing most people do ~ especially those in law enforcement. They all suspect it to be narcotics related and I tease them about having a narrow focus. It has no internal discoloration either.

I don't know how vintage as the hinge pin that holds the carved hinges appears to be brass which would exclude the Native American vintage unless made in later years.

It is possible it was only a trinket carved with no use in mind but I'd prefer to think it had more value than that. 8 )
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2010
9:05 AM

Post #8246850

I do not know what it is but I sure do like it !!!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 6, 2010
9:32 AM

Post #8246884

LOL, I never thought of drugs or contraband but then I don't work in law enforcement. I don't know a thing about antique artifacts but with the intricate carving, it certainly looks to be of value.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2010
10:00 AM

Post #8246922

Value is an odd thing. What an item is worth is only what a person is willing to pay for it on that given day.

On the other hand, the value of this item is friendship. Shared with me by a friend and it is admired and enjoyed by many more of my friends. All of you as well, of course. Thanks much ~ pod
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #8250877

A friend offered to contact the wife of a mutual acquaintance last week. She is Chinese and dabbles in antiques and collectibles in China. I sent her the photos of this and received this first response:
Quoting: ... first thought was that the piece did
in did (indeed) look Chinese and pea pods represent fertility / babies.

After she was generous enough to do some research, this was what she sent.
Quoting: It look 宗(pronouced as Zong) to me, usually it is either the name of the maker or the family name of whom it was made for. The bean pattern was used widely during late Qing and MinGuo (A republic regime before the Communist China)
period. Not very old, about 100 year or so. It is done by a folk artist as it does not has the imperial quality.

I have sent a request for its' possible use or if it was only ornamental and will post if I find any further information.

I am quite comfortable with the verification as the quality of this item is ( in my opinion ) perhaps not imperial quality but far above amateur.

I really appreciate everyones' interest and assistance. One wonders how the heck it made it to east TX!!?! LoL
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 8, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #8251017

That's fascinating! Great detective work!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2010
2:29 AM

Post #8251261

Good to know ... nice detective work!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 9, 2010
4:17 AM

Post #8251323

I had to chuckle at the comment "Not very old, about 100 year or so" ~ by US standards, we consider 100 years old vintage. LOL I was still excited. Thanks so much for all the help.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 9, 2010
9:46 AM

Post #8251810

A friend had people visiting from England and the wife said, "Dear, my house is older than your country..." And not in a nice way, so I was told...
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #8252135

I put a tad of time searching for that item. I got as far as Dayak Shaman Buffalo Bone. I am thankful I learned something.

When I got into doing this I was told

Antique - is over 100 years old
Vintage - is less than 100 years old.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 9, 2010
5:15 PM

Post #8252365

Schickenlady ~ thank you for that clarification. I knew there was a distinction between vintage and antique. Even though I feel rather antique, glad to know I am only vintage! lol Thanks too for your researching effort. Please tell me what your thoughts are on the "I dread whats coming" comment? I have often wanted to ask but promise I won't be offended should you tell me it is none of my business.

"Dear, my house is older than your country..." somehow doesn't surprise me. There is a certain arrogance there but I also have to chuckle. I hear friends that work in the carpentry restoration field and to a man, they say when they are done with an old house, all the people still have is just an old house. And, I would suspect those that are snooty about it would give anything to live here in a new home with modern conveniences. Want to bet?
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2010
3:09 AM

Post #8252819

Its 6 degrees out and it stinks. I hate winter. Its lucky I get from the house to the car.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2010
3:29 AM

Post #8252834

Ain't that the truth!!! :-)
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 10, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #8252872

Ahhh ha ~ the light bulb in my brain went off! And I should have guessed, I grew up in the frozen tundra of Minesota. My mind ran rampant when I saw your location but now I understand. I hate that crap too and the short days!

Trying not to whine this year but it is oh, so hard. I have given in to my body which is demanding food I shouldn't be eating and sleep that I can't get enough of. Feel like I need to hibernate.

If I was back in the north I would never leave home if I could get away with it. My sympathies!
Come on springtime!
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8326059

well loved the item so i read all then at end minnesota my home state to born left when 17..
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8326267

Hope ~ you beat me! I left at 21 and never looked back.

Don't know how folks can survive that weather but I guess the south would be packed if they all moved down here. LOL

Where in Minnesota?
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8326455

up north then central 60 miles norht of cities, all my family live up the.born in Mankato left there for way north when 10 or 11.

blessings.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8326611

I've been to Mankato many times. I grew up near New Ulm and my husband grew up north in the iron range area.
We still have family in Chisago City and the Twin Cities so we go home and visit family on occasion. Hopefully not in the winter!
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8367385

been to minnesota mother passed and was stuck extra 4 days due to snow cold and Tulsa's airport closed. was cold ..
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8367416

Oh Hope ~ I am so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how cold it was. I do hope everything was o.k. when you got home. Tulsa was in the news for all the snow you received. You and your Mother are in my thoughts and prayers.

Today is my Moms' birthday. She is now 93 and I hate to be selfish but have prayed that if the Lord should take her, it will be in warmer weather. I don't think I would have enough clothing to stay warm.

hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8374117

my mother would of been 90 next month she lived alone.. prayer s for you and your mother many more good times together.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8374155

And you are doing all right?
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2011
3:34 AM

Post #8374595

I've been watching this thread, I grew up near Alexandria MN and feel this winter like I've been transplanted back there with all the cold and snow.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8374652

Is all the snow not common for your area of NY? This year MN set records on the snowfall but what I can't get over is the minus zero temps my brother keeps telling me about.

In the early 70s when we lived there, my husband looked out the window in Feb and said ~ Look nothing is moving out there but man. What does that say about our intelligence?... we then packed our bags and left for sunny AZ. I have never regretted it.
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8374704

The snow is not that uncommon,although we have had more this winter than in about 15 years, it's the freezing temps that we have had since mid Dec. My fiance and I are looking to move down south, possibly Tennessee, W.Virginia or North Carolina.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8374750

I suspect that will be on many northerners' minds after this winter.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2011
12:00 PM

Post #8375468

It costs around 2,500 a year to heat the house & 2 garages. The garages a bare 40 degrees and then when hubby is home one garage has a wood stove. The house is a hog even with a fireplace going.

We had bought a wood stove off a friend a couple years ago and it was getting ready to go to auction. I said to hubby - Put that in the house. He did.

We are now going on week 16 and the propane (heat/cooking) is still at 60%. Best thing we ever did. Better husband works at a lumber mill and gets all the wood free.

Thumbnail by schickenlady

kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2011
12:55 PM

Post #8375587

I have an old I have an old oil burner and I'm burning 10 gallons average a day. last delivery was $3.29 a gallon, that's $32.90 a day to keep the house at 60 degrees. The house is about 2500 square feet with 10 foot ceilings. I'm single and doing it on my own and it's not easy. Do have a wonderful fiance who lives an hour from here that helps with maintenance and repairs.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8375992

Man... I have forgotten how grim it can be!

I love that wood stove Schickenlady! So will it be
Quoting: GH or Not
? And if it will be, how will you chose to heat it?
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2011
9:26 PM

Post #8376375

kobwebz the 10 foot ceilings sound like an older home. When I see older homes many times I think "how wonderful' but I never thought about what it would take to heat the place !! It must cost a fortune and even if that($) is not a problem then it must be difficult because of the age and size of the house. schickenlady it sounds like you have the same problem. When we lived in a home that was in fact new when we bought it we had to hang blankets over the doors and windows to keep thke cold out.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2011
5:37 AM

Post #8376623

I am in NH. The rule of thumb is - dont plant until Memorial Day Weekend up here.
So I will start germinating the begining of April in the house. So a week or so later begin to transplant and then its warmer days and cold to freezing nights. The propane heater from the garage will go in the GH. It will get turned down to 50 at night and might cost 100 bucks to heat. Sunny days it will take care of itself.
I grow mostly veggies tomato, peppers, cukes, string beans the easy stuff.
GH is small 15x25'. This will be my 5th year with it, if I do it, which I am leaning towards doing ???

2 years ago I utilized every inch and maxed out at 2630 plants.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8378096

Wow! Great ambition ~ I don't think you will have a problem making this decision.

Looking forward to your next "byline" LOL
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8381140

byline = What ever comes to my mind. A GH is devotion.
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8382619

Mableruth, yep she was built in 1875. Have some pictures in the antiques forum it was called show us your old house. If you want to see it skip to new and scroll up a couple of posts. The cost of heating is a problem now that fuel oil has sky-rocketed,

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America