tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2010
6:32 AM

Post #8216524

We came from here -- http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1120514/

Are you getting your gardens prepared for spring??
Collecting seeds ??

whatcha been up to?

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2010
7:51 AM

Post #8216669

I always keep my seeds in the fridge that's why I'd love to clean them all out for the swaps but I never get them all out would love to get down to just one gal. bag instead of five or six or more and some sandwich bags in there I have them in the crisper and on the sides of the doors I've got hibiscus, monk's hood from last year in ice cubes that I forgot to pitch out and poppy seeds in the freezer I really need to check the ice cube holder and see what is in there might be something else too that I forgot I put in there I know I only have half a container to hold ice cubes the rest is seeds :)

I'm glad poppies have a long shelf life I've been trying to collect them for a few years now aiming to pitch them out but next year is going to be the year where I don't plant so many annuals in the side yard like I did last year. I always think there is going to be one more snow to pitch the poppy seeds and there isn't or either there isn't enough to cover them to keep the birds from getting them.

Huggergirl do a search on here where it says to search forums and you should find a list of to dos in the winter I know they had a thread on here for that somewhere.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2010
10:04 AM

Post #8216898

OK Lea ... back to the Monkshood.

I found the seeds you gave me last year... *sigh* forgot to sow them...

so what is this about ice cubes? Do i freeze them for the winter than just toss them out in the garden??
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2010
10:28 AM

Post #8216943

That's what I read somewhere Terese but thing is they say they aren't viable the next year and I didn't get any seeds off of mine this year think I lost them to the drought :(

Next time if there is though I'm filling the tray up half way then putting seeds in and filling it up the rest of the way after half of it freezes I read that was a better way to do it.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2010
10:54 AM

Post #8216979

Well, i can always try it. Maybe I'll go out and stick some in the soil and just see what happens.

sometimes it's just TOO many SEEDS and NOT enough TIME.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #8217611

I hear ya girl lol

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #8217677

oh yea... and you give me MORE. ROFLMAO
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2010
7:59 PM

Post #8217841

Right back at ya LOL Hey want are friends for if not to drive each other crazy wouldn't want you to get bored!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2010
8:01 PM

Post #8217844

you betcha!!
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2010
8:06 PM

Post #8217853

LOL
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2010
3:28 AM

Post #8218004

Thanks lebug,Ive read bout the ice cube thing ,umm remember reading it,dont remember how to do it !!!
klstuart
Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #8218052

Managed to time mine perfectly finally last year, right before our only snow that accumulated much of anything! Got great germination, though I thought they'd never bloom! It gets so hot so fast here, and I always thing the poppies should be blooming before that, but I guess they don't know the heats coming, and somehow they make it through it.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #8218571

I wonder if anyone got any germination out of the Monk's Hood seeds I sent out last year :)

huggergirl, just fill your ice cube tray half way put the seeds in with it then let it freeze and then fill it up the rest of the way that way the seeds won't dry out cause when I put my seeds in the ice cubes they floated to the top therefore leaving them at the top to dry out.

perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #8218631

Lea, I think I had one or two monkshood germinate - can't remember if I planted them or where they went. Still have some seeds left from last year. Guess I'll just toss them into my monkshood patch if they might not be good. I don't think I had any germination from ones I planted in place in the yard.
I've got some seed pods forming from a new one - "cloudy", I think, and another. I'll put some seeds in your piggy bucket if I get them on time. I don't think I'll list them because there are too many whole hog oinkers and I won't have very many seeds. I don't know what happened to the seeds of my earlier bloomers - maybe there weren't any.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2010
10:38 AM

Post #8218755

Ah did you WS them then guess you did Sharon, thanks for the other seeds they won't be wasted I think you know that ;) Sure appreciate them. Mine are usually making seeds right now I went down to check the plants out in my over weeded shade garden down there and they were all brown :(

I think I'lll try WS the ones I have in the fridge from last year but don't have much confidense in them germinating it's worth a shot though.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2010
10:39 AM

Post #8218760

hmmm, Terese my seeds seem to be getting up there too LOL But how can you turn down such great seeds!
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2010
11:55 AM

Post #8218831

Lea, I think the ones that germinated were in a w/s container. The ones I planted directly in the ground last fall (that didn't germinate) were from my own plants and some I got in trade that I guess were from the season before. My pods are still green, but if I remember right they don't take all that long to turn brown - I hope.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #8224865

Good to see you too Lea! I've been busy one of my girls started 1st grade this year... so that's made me a bit busier with homework and other extra things that school brings. I have been trying to get all my holiday stuff done. I'm sick of getting stressed at the last minute so I am trying to be done by Thanksgiving this year. I planted a bunch of spring bulbs and already ordered some seeds that I really want to try for next year.. Things I haven't been able to get in spring a couple years now due to them selling out. Figure I'd get em while they were freshly harvested! : ) I unfortunately haven't had time to collect seeds and anything tender is probably done for while most others probably already fell on the ground... Probably won't be in the seed swap this year. I have no where left to plant the stuff I am planning on starting as it is, so it is probably better this way. : )
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #8224934

Terese did you tell me where to go for more information on wsing ? I looked back didnt see it ?? Thanks Tamara

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #8224948

here is one -- the WS forum here on DH http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/coldsow/all/

here is a really good one for newbies to Ws'ing... wintersown.org

the forum on DG, read the stickies. we put a lot of work into collecting a lot of the good info that was in that forum a few yrs back.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2010
6:34 AM

Post #8226793

Sharon I've been checking my monk's hood off and on in hopes to just see some green but nothing we have finally been getting rain but a little too late :( It's raining here off and on for four days now (now it does).

OH Meredith your in big trouble now you'll be so busy with the little one in school lol

Last year I said I wasn't going to get in the swap and this year lol It takes so much time but I do enjoy it seeing little piggies rootin and snortin lol And that yearly thang of having seeds all over the place out of control just wouldn't know what to do with a nice and tidy house LOL You could still drop in and tell us how you are doing :)

Did you read when Fairy1004 had a baby? I got on her for not being around this year and she was pregnant LOL Oh so pregnant LOL
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #8227288

Lea, I do think I'll get some seeds - on the other hand, don't want to jinx them. I can always send you some separate if they're not ready on time.

I just collected some seeds from a really lovely hydrangea called "blau doneau". It's a smaller one (at least I hope it stays that way) with bright mixed blue to purplish flowers. I can't believe how teeny the seeds are, to turn into a bush. Let me know if you want some of those too. I don't think I'll be listing either on the piggy swap.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2010
6:06 AM

Post #8228380

I would think it would take forever for a hydrangea to grow from seed do you know Sharon :) I was thinking of saving some of mine earlier this year but didn't.

I can send postage if you have to send them seperate but I bet they finish before time to send seeds in.

Today is a day to go into the lady's that has all the Rescue cats and help her out someitmes I wonder why I'm doing this in the winter lol I hate cold mornings!
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2010
8:55 AM

Post #8228604

Lea, no need to send postage. I take it you're not interested in the hydrangea, then?
Please don't say it's winter yet! You do it because you're a very nice person.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2010
12:08 PM

Post #8228830

Thanks Sharon :) No don't think I want to try and grow one of those hydrangeas it probably wouldn't be full grown and blooming till I was six ft. under :)

No I do it because she has 100 cats from rescuing them and no one to help her it takes us almost three hours going non stop cleaning litter boxes and such I just can't imagine her doing it all by herself she does have another girl that helps a few days a week so it's not like an every day thing. I thought she had three 'cat houses' Ha! A 'cat house' LOL But she has four plus two rooms in her house dedicated to them and they aren't small houses either, quite interesting really :) I'm sitting here on my rear most of the time I can give some time up and not wear this living room chair out now that the swap has slowed down I'm just not a morning person :)
antsinmypants
Marietta, MS
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2010
10:44 PM

Post #8229646

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope everyone has a wonderful day with family, friends, & good food :)

ants

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2010
4:34 AM

Post #8229747

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #8229852

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Have a wonderful day with family and friends and a safe one 8-)
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2010
7:17 AM

Post #8229913

Happy Thanksgiving!! : )

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8435938

wow - this thread certainly had died...

I was "out back" working on clean up and moving plants... and i think my Penstemon Red Rocks died!!

**sniff sniff**

thankfully i had more seeds. I have 2 WS containers of them going ... hopefully I'll get a few more plants. It really is so pretty.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2011
8:40 AM

Post #8436254

Terese mine hasn't come up yet either maybe it's just too early for them yet I have the tall penstemon out back and they aren't up yet either I hope they come up!
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8436275

Well bad news Terese, I forgot about my red rocks on the other side yard it's been showing about all winter and it's still there think I lost the one on the other side of the porch and the back yard too :(

It's just been too dry in the summers I guess for them to survive the summer, where the other two were they didn't get much watering the last two summers.

I planted a seedling to a perennial geranium last year and it's not back yet either but my Jester's Jacket geranium is growing like crazy so guess I lost that one too :(

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8436286

Lea -- mine were some 'dry sticks' and when wiggled, they were loose and the roots came out... there is still some left - but i dont have high hopes.

Hey -- have you 'seen' Veronica/Indynanny lately?? looked for her too on the "cube" but can't find her.
I hope she's OK.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8436429

No haven't been on as much as you well know :) I noticed before I stopped being on so much she wasn't around think I even wrote her to see if she was alright she's kind of accident prone I think so I hope she is alright.

It's so beautiful here wanting to get outside so bad and cleaning house for my grandson to come should be out getting my hands dirty lol Getting ready to go out now though :))

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8436761

I think I still have her address... maybe i'll write her a letter.
klstuart
Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8443359

Hey guys! Haven't been on here in ages. Finally upgraded from Benadryl to Allegra, and was able to get out side and clean up a bit today! It's like 80 degrees here and sunny. A little hot, but SO nice to be out! I've got a lot more to do, but getting inspired now. Might have to still try to start some seeds. I'd about given up for the year, but maybe I can still do some :) Started organizing my seeds some more, and a few just about jumped out at me that I MUST try soon! (mostly the ones from you guys) Well, if I don't get them planted, I'll at least aim to be the best organized gardener ever for next season, so that NOTHING can interfere with my planting!

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8445754

Hi everyone - nice to see some cottage gardeners surface here now that spring has arrived.

Kelly - don't give up on starting seeds this year - we have until at least through June to start seeds to make seedlings that will have enough time to dig their roots into the ground by this coming winter's alternate freezing and thawing that otherwise heaves these babies up above the ground.

I'm behind in seed starting too. So many things to repair here - wall and deer barricades damage and a pond we cleaned that involved moving big rocks to hold racoon-proofing wire in place and a tree for a neighbor's fireplace that can take sizes too big for us - lots of Spring Chicken to-dos never intended for those of us in the decrepit senior citizen crowd. We have done these things in recent weeks in tiny bites, with humongous periods of just recouperating. reeeaallllllly hate getting old grrr.

Oof, Over and Out - lol
karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8445923

Uggg - we've been having burst of snow flurries today...
I still have a lot of sowing to do.

Karen -- it's so good to see you again.

kelly -- hope that alegra helps keep the allergies at bay... i'll get the "Pollen Dust" one in May... it's horrid. One thing i hate about living in a Pine forest. Hope work is keeping you busy - but not too busy that you can't garden.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8453091

It must be awful to have allergies I feel lucky because I don't dad started having problems in his 70's so I guess there is always a chance in life that you may get them living in the Ohio Valley is a bad place for allergies too a lot of people have them here.

Karren nice to see you can't wait till I get to start those morning glories almost started them just the other day and know they would really get out of hand if I started them this early lol

Kelly hate it that you couldn't start all those seeds this year but envy you too I've been trying to cut down on seeds so I could tweak my beds they really need it but seem to find myself just trying to get all of those seedlings in the ground and no time to tweak! If there just wasn't so much temptation in these swaps lol

I was getting ready for spring the weather was so nice for quite a while went around dividing perennials like crazy just knew there wasn't anymore winter here then reality hit! We got snow yesterday all day and that cold air about 30 degrees bringing me back to my senses!
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8453793

Sorry, I haven't contributed much lately. It has been a hard miserable fall and winter. I just spent 3 days in the hosp, had back surgery on my lower spine. When it heals, then I have surgery on the neck. Oh boy, I can't wait.

So obviously, I haven't done anything with my seeds yet. I cannot bend over for several weeks, so that makes it rather hard to work in my gardens.
MY DIL and one of her friends came over the day before my surgery and helped me pull weeds and clean up one of the flower beds. Tomorrow, I am hiring the neighbor's 17 yo granddaughter to come help me. We'll see how that works out. I don't even know what some of the things are - weeds or plants!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8454218

Oh Lynn... just take care of yourself. your physical well being is more important than a few weeds here and there.

You can always just willy nilly toss seeds in the beds and hope for the best... you will still have lots of color.

poo poo on the surgeries... hope you heal up quickly.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8454319

Oh Lynn I'm so sorry! Just think by summer you should be good to go though :) Sounds like a rough road to travel before you get there! I'll say a prayer for speedy recovery :)

Are you able take pictures of your weeds/plants and someone can id them for you not sure there's enough traffic on this thread.

Like Terese says [Your physical well being IS more important than a few weeds here and there.]

mygypsyrose
Browns Mills, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8529040

Hey guys,

I haven't posted in a good year... The last year was just horrible and I hadn't gardened and would like to get back into things... I missed the Piggy Swap last fall and would like to be considered this fall again as I will try to collect seeds this summer... just wanted to let you know that I haven't disappeared :)

Andrea

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8529249

Good to see you Andrea. I think many of us are busy... not sure doing what, since the weather has been so horrible... either too many tornados, too much rain and certainly not enough sun for gardening. I was hoping tomorrow would be nice -- not sure, i hear more rain. but i plan to be outside after work and get something done.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8542698

Hey Andrea glad to see you back :) You got the bad year out of the way last year so now you are good to go give it all you got lol

We've had a LOT of rain too Terese and so sick of the clouds they do make good hardening off weather though he he

My poor potted up perennials to go in the ground from last year are so water logged! I put compost around the tops of the plants earlier this year hoping the rain would help it soak in but geeesh!

cheles_garden
Edmond, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8549759

Hi Andrea! I've not been on here for over a year as well...I lurk from time to time though. So don't feel bad at all! I love that we can come back on and find all our garden friends still here with open arms!

It has been almost 2 years now that I moved to OK...huge change...and in the past year I had to find a new job. So not as much time for gardening as I would like - but I have to say that I LOVE IT! :-)

I will not be able to join in the piggy swap, but will look from afar and listen to the oinks. We just purchased a new home - meaning newly built new home. Attached is my back yard. :-) Nothing but grass - so I will have no seeds to collect. Hee hee. But I will be doing a bunch of winter sowing. Yay! (there is a sign leaning on the fireplace that had not been removed yet).

I will be on here as much as possible getting garden ideas for my area. We are unlike most of you - in a drought! Uggh.

Thumbnail by cheles_garden

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8550985

Ahhhhh -- clean slate. that will be fun designing.
mygypsyrose
Browns Mills, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8551912

Thanks for the warm welcome back :)

Cheles... I think what some people did for the Piggy Swap is to order seeds yourself and then split them into packets (because you never use the whole packet, lol) and list those to swap... That way you get a lot of different kinds for your money that you invested in the first place.

It's so good to see that everybody still here!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2011
9:53 AM

Post #8552220

i did a bunch of planting today.

anyone know much about sweat peas?? I hope they transplant well. super long root systems on them -- and of course, it was supposed to rain, but we have blazing sun ... i watered them good. most of all the other seedlings were tiny... so they should do fine.

salvias and a few agastaches... a long with lots of compost. Wonder if i should get some Humus?? someone once said I should have that for the salvias.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2011
5:09 AM

Post #8554137

tcs,ive got loads of pink Pop Popping...I dont know anything about them.Will they bloom 1st year ??

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2011
5:27 AM

Post #8554161

yes, i have found all Agastaches are first yr bloomers... they should reseed, though the more 'tender' ones don't do so as much
but they will come back for you too, as they do for me.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2011
5:41 AM

Post #8554182

Thanks for the Seed...I must have planted all of it..LOL...I ws an planted some underlights.I will bring some to the swap.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8554546

Terese I've googled the salvia and humus and it just says to use it or compost for good drainage or both I've always just used compost and don't have any problems with drainage and I've got that good old clay soil that stays wet forever.

I've only seen a couple of hummers so far this year hope I have more than last year I know they don't really start coming around until about June here but I'm already getting nervous lol Last year was the slowest year ever but it was gang busters for the butterflies I want both LOL

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8554593

Lea -- i've heard we have Hummers in Wisc already, but i havent seen them yet... had the feeder out since midApril ... only the raccoons are drinking it.

re: humus ... and i may have to go back and find the thread to see what was recommended... but in the Salvia forum, there is a thread on Yvonnes ... when i posted a pic of my plant, it was said, i'm lacking something... thought is was humus.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8554600

Quoting:

Your plants look like they need some humus added to the soil, which will make both moisture and mineral nutrients more available. They look a little stressed, and compost or mushroom soil is a good antidote. Lots of tropical salvias are heavy feeders.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8563775

umm I have ws salvia,good fyi,thanks
klstuart
Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8564744

Hey Chelle, that's a nice looking blank canvas... fun!! You can also get to know the local botanical gardens and public gardens, and keep an eye out for plants that might need deadheading ;-) I was at my neighbors today, and she's got pots of gerbera. She was asking me what to do with the flower stems when the flowers die. I told her to give the fluffy parts to me!! Got a nice handful of gerbera seeds already now.

So excited to see my perennials from 2 years ago really taking off this year. Last year I got a late start getting them in the ground, and they just kind of survived the summer. This year the coneflowers, agastache apricot sprite, liatris, monarda (uggh), Evening primrose Tina James, Salvia Wild thing, and so many more are really strong and full! It's a good year to not have done much I guess, resting on my laurels for a season.

I'm going to solarize the veggie garden this summer. It's been collecting weed seeds for over 10 years now, and could really use a break. I just purchased a few tomatoes and peppers, and will put them in the herb garden or in pots for the summer so the veggie garden can be completely covered in plastic all summer. With our heat, that should kill all weed seeds for sure... I hope!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8566149

Tropical Salvias ???
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8566311

Hi everyone, I haven't been on DG for a while but I wanted to pop in and say hi. :)
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8566493

Hey Meredith :) I think of you every time I look at my milkweeds lol I still didn't get all of my milkweeds planted this year but what I have out there is coming up really good I'm so courious about this red prarie and what the blooms are going to look like finally I'll get to see them this year :)) And thanks to Terese I have about eight of the orange tuberosa to plant for this year.

I had so many butterflies last year I'm hoping they come back for this year!
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8566877

That's awesome! I still need to get some milkweeds planted in other parts of my yard. I have had no luck with Swam,p Milkweed and of course that's the one that appeals to me the most! I might have some purple milkweed to show for all the seeds I started but It Could be the regular wild kind that grows around here.. which I am trying to keep out of my beds. It's impossible to get all the roots because the shoot all over the place. I once followed a root from one side of my yard to the other!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8567633

Hey Meredith!! So good to see you pop in.

The swamp MW gets HUGE for me. I'm working on some Scarlets ... they have been very slow to germinate. not sure if i will even get seeds this year... though i do still have more left from Lea.

Good to hear Lea... I have no idea what my Oranges are doing... guess i forgot about them.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8569357

Hi tcs! So far mine keep getting infecte dwith some disease.. No one is really sure what.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8570539

I bet none of you have seen my post in the tree and shrub forum, but I had ordered what was supposed to be red buckeye years ago and waited for it to bloom until this year only to find out it isn't a red buckeye.. So I ordered one from Avent gardens and got it today. I'm so happy, even though it's a little thing it has a flower bud on it. Now I don't have to worry I am planting the wrong one again. Just wanted to share because it brightened my rainy dreary day for a few minutes. I love getting plants in the mail. :) It's supposed to rain here for a week straight. Today was the third day straight.. Great for plants but not y seasonal depression jk..

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8571047

we too had weeks of rain... it was wonderful to have a few days of sunshine. it's cloudy this morning, but dont think rain is expected. I need some of my WS containers to dry out...

I would be so bummed if i ordered something i really wanted only to find out later - it was incorrect.
Glad you got the right one.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2011
10:29 PM

Post #8573080

Meredith is it the Showy Milkweed?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/283518/

I've found out it's native here I've never seen it around but I've had it a few years now not looking forward to those long roots either last year it started spreading underground and this is the bed I wanted to put my garden in!

Gosh Meredith it takes trees so long to grow too that's a shame you got the wrong one and watched it all of this time, congradulations on your new baby :)

A couple wks. of rain, a couple wks. of rain we had two solid months of it it is flooded every where here I had a lot of trouble with my jugs this year thank goodness I didn't plant what I used to plant I would be down to what I have now probably very few :)

Remember when I told you Terese that it looked like some of my seedlings looked like they were damping off I did get some seeds out of that jug I think they were the mistery Agastaches?

I bet your orange are up you should check the next chance you get my one is up about 10" I should really get rid of it it has some kind of disease but I just can't there isn't any other milkweeds around it it's all by it's self so I keep letting it stay...sigh But on the bright side I have seedlings from you :)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8573271

Ahhhh, Lea - I just checked my spreadsheet [thank heavens i use google docs] -- i didnt even sow any!! crap.

I know we chatted about this before, but I;m sure I gave you some Blue Agastaches... dont think it was on that list though.. .no biggy though, i bet they are sterile. My "Mystery" was a chia pet... When I was out pulling weeds and stuff before i left - there are hundreds of little Agastache babies out there... no idea who or what they are though... the Purple Pygyms don't look like they are doing well, only a lil bit left of the original plant - but there's something.

~~ I do have germination on the Red Prairie MW's you gave me. my scarlets - i brought up here, too wet and i had 2 little germinated seeds -- they are toast. not sure if i will get any this year.

tart Showy one, you posted the link for -- that foliage is pretty, but i dont think i'd like it in my flower bed, unless it was a 'wild' flower bed. I found some "common" MW's in a bed that is too narrow for them... not sure how i'm gonna handle that. If it's not "common" it's Swamp ... and that's too big too. the bed is only about 6" wide in front of my DR bay window ... i have English Marigolds gone wild there...

I have a 'ferny' milkweed that has gone wild in my rose bed. I looked them up once - but can't recall what they are ... think they have white blooms. they are small and dont take up a lot of room.. so i leave them.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8574813

The Scarlets are annuals for us Terese if you have any more seeds just pitch them out or you can start them over again it's not too late. I'm wondering if I will get any reseeders this year doesn't look like it unless they come up a little later I didn't sow any this year and gave Inez the rest of what milkweeds I had left over we just pitched them a couple of days ago.

I've got a Blue Agastache from Ella (I'm sure she just pitched it in the bucket) but I didn't get it planted I was afraid it was too large for the area I'm planting I don't do them anymore just too many bees for the front yard, I was just courious to see your mistery one cause you said it was small :) I don't plant the back yard anymore except for what is out there starting to find my limit and I really don't care for it LOL If I can't keep up with the beds out back I'll make the front ones beautiful :)

I was all caught up on the weeds and ready to plant then all of this darn rain came and back came the weeds and now I'm so busy I can't get out there to get them so my plants are on hold again until I do grrr!!! I was so proud cause I had all the weeds done and it was so early! I was going to take weed killer to them but I pitched rue and some other seeds and they are coming up so now I have to weed grrr LOL

The orange one is a warm germinator I'm pretty sure I'd go ahead and sow it even if the cats eat it before it gets big it will be back for next year. I've had that happen a few times.

If I'm thinking right the Showy milkweed that I have I traded for and it was suppose to be the purple I got the wrong plant, had it for years trying to id it and last year I think I did, had it for years and it never multiplied or had seeds then last year it went crazy all of a sudden I'll never get it out of that bed I'm sure it is pretty. I still haven't planted my purple milkweeds I'm almost afraid to if they are anything like this one LOL If I do it won't be in the front yard I'll have to put it out back until I see how it acts.

I bet Meredith knows if you are on here Meredith does the purple milkweed have runners?

I can't believe I've wanted purple milkweeds for at least six years! At first I couldn't find the seeds that's why I traded for it then crap kept coming up and I never got my seeds that I've had for at least three years planted and now I'm afraid to plant it LOL

Inez (the cat lady) has a white milkweed in her beds that has big old fat runners I'm dying to see what it is she asked me if I wanted some, yeah right LOL I've planted white milkweeds but the butterflies never paid any attention to them so I never planted any more.

That white 'ferny' milkweed sounds interesting wonder if the butterflies pay any attention to it you'll have to check and see if it has cats on it this summer I didn't have one cat on the white ones I had.

I see no evidence of those blue penstemons coming back :( Had some in a pot and in the ground.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2011
4:59 AM

Post #8575351

re: that ferny MW... i think it's been in the rose bed at least 3 yrs now... no idea how it got there... [blown in seeds??] and never seen any cats anywhere... the plants do not get really big either...

busy busy day... hope to get back on tonight...
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8576424

Hi Lea, here the wild ones are A. syriaca I am pretty sure it's called Common Milkweed.. The purple ones aren't supposed to have runners, but they are much harder to grow. I've tried starting lots of seeds for them, 3 years now and I have never had any mature plants except maybe the ones I had last year but its hard to say they aren't just the wild ones popping up because they have popped up in different areas of my yard many times.. Here is a pic of the one that might be prurple milkweed, it's flowers don't look like the wild ones but the leaves are so similar it's hard to be sure.. What do you think? [HYPERLINK@picasaweb.google.com]
[HYPERLINK@picasaweb.google.com]
[HYPERLINK@picasaweb.google.com]

edited the botanical name...

This message was edited May 20, 2011 8:24 PM
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8576486

I've been trying to figure it out and I'm sad to say I am pretty sure these are just A. syriaca (Common Milkweed) I think what might be happening is seed companies selling the Common Milkweed as Purple Milkweed. Because I've planted out lots of seedlings from seeds I've grown sold as A. purpurascens and so far only common milkweeds have shown up the next season those spots. I am getting very discouraged. If any one knows where I can order plants of the real deal I'd be very happy if you'd share! : )

I found something interesting here if you look at page 4 that's the part I found interesting, http://www.newenglandwild.org/docs/pdf/Asclepiaspurpurascens.pdf
Maybe I have a cross breed!

This message was edited May 20, 2011 8:48 PM
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8583752

I read that Meredith I'll be back later to comment have some things going on this morning :)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8585182

Meredith... twice in my trading here on DG, i asked for the Orange Milkweed [which i finally ended up buying - but forgot to sow this year... ] each time i got "common" seeds instead... talk about disappointing - especially since you have to wait 2 yrs to see a bloom.
Oh, that's Tuberosa, right? the Orange?
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2011
8:07 AM

Post #8590521

Same thing happened to me Terese it's taken me about three years I think to finally get the real Tuberosa from you and now I finally have it growing lol

I had no idea they had so much trouble growing the purple milkweeds I knew they were rare because they don't put out seeds like the other ones? I have some seeds to them Meredith but now I'm wondering if they will be the purple ones.

I've got Cinderella that I planted last year and I'm very seriously thinking of yanking them out they can't take the hard rains it just lays them down some of the branches break off at the ground I can't believe that they aren't more sturdy plants! I could take the branches and stick them in the ground to start more but wondering if I really want more of those?

I started the Red Prairie milkweeds along with the Cinderella’s last year and the Red Prairie didn't grow as fast and stayed small so I took the cats off of them and put them on the bushy Cinderella’s all summer, I would have run out of foliage if I had to depend on the Red Prairie so I really hate to yank the Cinderella’s out but they are in the front of my side yard three plants but they are looking pretty beat up with all of these down pours we have had.

Maybe I can keep them then when they start coming up for next year trim them back then them not being so tall they may not break off so much mut I have a feeling they will no matter how tall they are...
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8593405

I think I started Cinderellas last year, but I can't see any growing back.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8594547

Maybe it's just a little early for yours are any of your others coming back yet think my red praries started first don't have any others to compare them to here :( I sure hope they come back for you we had a lot of heat before all of this rain started a couple of months ago so mine might be up a little earlier than usual seems like a lot of plants are blooming earlier too.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8595668

I'll keep my fingers crossed! :) I almost have a new spot ready to plant and I want todo all annuals I can grow from seed. However I never started any this year! Can you believe it!? So I am thinking Nicotiana, Verbena, Cosmos, Mirabilis. Tall stuff and some fragrant stuff. I would like the Tropical Milkweed but I need to start those in February for them to do anything usually. Any ideas if I still have enough tie for direct sowing any others?
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8596624

I'm just sowing some petunias today I know when they start coming up in my pots it isn't until late but they still bloom for a while before it gets cold our summers aren't that long either. My petunias and a few others didn't do well downstairs this year think it was too damp over the winter/mostly early spring. I just sowed my red nicotiana but that is because I just found the seeds lol Castor beans maybe, morning glories I'm just getting ready to sow both of those of course my moon vine is out this year I know it's too late to start it.

Wish I could help you out Meredith but I don't sow that many annuals, just to fill in spaces in my side yard I usually end up buying a few that I can't grow like lantana and whatever else.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8596631

AK!!! Just noticed it's your Birthday Meredith Happy Birthday!
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8596712

Pineapple Sage is one that reseeds later here too Meredith in time for blooms mine hasn't come up yet so that one should be safe to sow, my Coral Nymphs are just starting to come up and tall red sages like Bonfire. I'm walking around in my beds trying to find things lol
klstuart
Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2011
11:33 AM

Post #8597088

Happy Birthday Meredith!

:-) I've got a few volunteers of salvia, that I'm desperately hoping are Coral Nymph in the front, and Yvonne's in the back. I didn't get any of them started this year, and the hummers and I love both of them... keeping fingers crossed that that's what I have!
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8598040

Thank you both for the birthday wishes! It has been a summer like weekend here. We enjoyed the pool today. Thanks for the ideas, I feel like the Salvia needs a head start here. We usually get a killing frost by the second week in October. I had some Scarlet Sage reseed one year but it barely made it to flower so it couldn't reseed itself. I found soe Mirabilis that reseeded, they are only the first leaves, not sure if those will have enough time. Hope so because I absolutely loved them last year. I kept putting off seed starting, telling myself if I couldn't get my house organized I wasn't allowed to do seeds. So now I still have an un organized house and no seeds started! I should have just did my seeds! lol

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8598310

I know i have a few Pineapple sage babies at home [i'm hoping to get back about the 20th of June]

but i found a pot at WallyWorld... two plants in a "bonnie" peat pot for $3.33

they are a good size... i hope to plant them in the next day or so.

Happy B day Meredith!! i almost missed it.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8600027

Thank you :) I've only had luck with Pineapple Sage blooming here, when I got one already blooming from the nursery. Every other time they just got huge and leafy.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8600476

Meredith I'm just starting to see volunteer Cleomes and cosmos in my garden. We're a little colder than you but I'm sure if you direct so you'll be fine. Also Verbena Bonariensis, a favorite of mine, and various nicotianas. I'm also just direct sowing various annual poppies, nasturtiums and alyssum. They take a little longer than indoor starts but you'll get plenty of bloom soon enough.

Good luck!

Pam
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2011
8:41 PM

Post #8600500

Meredith I'll always have an unorganized house and I blame it all on flowers that's my story and I'm sticking to it Ha!

That's about the time we get our killing frost too maybe it just doesn't get as hot there that's probably why PS blooms here and I do get to enjoy them before the frost gets them thank goodness.

What Cinderella is left is getting buds on it, it just seems so soon for these flowers to bloom the summer is going to be gone before we know it. I'm such an optimist aren't I lol

I got a tall salvia kind of like PS but taller from Tuink in the swap last year but it's suppose to bloom earlier so it blooms longer that would be sweet! Can't wait to see it do it's thang :) Well shoot just googled it and they say 3' seems like I was told it would get about 5' someone on the swap not Tuink, maybe I misunderstood that sure is possible lol I thought I looked it up too though some sites can give different info. too unfortunely. It does bloom longer though I'll save some seeds for the swap I'm sure :)

http://www.smartseedstore.com/salvia_excerta_praeclara.html

This says it blooms 8 wks. after sowing I'd says that's pretty good. Now I just need to get it in the ground ;o Think there are three out there about ten inches tall.

Good luck on your quest for flowers Meredith! Let us know how it goes at least you have your lovely blooms to enjoy from last year.

I've only had one hummer just put more feeders out it's getting so hot here they are bound to be here shortly.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8602557

I have at least 4 hummers that share the 3 feeders in my small yard. I've seen 2 that will 'share' a feeder, but mostly there is one that shaggs the others away. I know last year i had 4, this year i could be up to 5.

I'm trying to get plants that they can use as food too.

I'm still trying to get plants in the grounds... work is really getting in the way, then the weather.
Hopefully Friday morning i can get the last of'em in the ground.

I have marigolds, salvias, those 'spikes' for pots... but i think i need some 'peat' for the huge pots i bought... which means another trip to Home depot. then I have other shade plants... and i'm waiting on a shipment of Caladiums - i think i have 40 bulbs coming... no idea where i'm gonna put them all.

Lea -- those Blue Milkweed... remember i got 5 seeds... i have 4 plants. maybe i'll keep 2 up here and take two home at the end of June... longer growing season there -- and hopefully i'll get some seeds to share.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 1, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8602764

Thanks Pfg :) It sounds like you are starting a lot of the ones I want to try.

Lea, I'm glad you have some cinderella, I still haven't seen any here. Maybe the Monarda swallowed them up!
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8605152

I used to have all kinds of hummers until last year I probably only had about four and that's pushing it I used to walk thru the yard to the house and they would buzz all around me I still had them buzzing around me but not everywhere I walked, there sure were a lot of butterflies out last year and this year haven't even planted my plants yet! Too many weeds just finishing planting tomatoes,peppers and basil. Trying to get my priorities right this year planting the veggies first but it was hard!

I've let a lot of purple top come up this year the hummers go nuts over that and some is just starting to bloom I really like verbena bonariensis but don't like picking the seedlings out where I don't want them they are always wall to wall lol

Meredith I didn't get any seeds from my Cinderella last year because of having so many milkweed bugs and aphids I sure hope to get some this year! Those plants are like shrubs I wish they were a little lankier and didn't spread out so much I think I'll trim mine next spring might help with the hard rains too.

Ah! I forgot about the blue milkweeds Terese! Gonna have to see a picture of those plants even without blooms, will they bloom the first year, do you know? That red prairie milkweed I think is blooming now that I had in the swap last year but not the plants that I planted last year I just can't believe that poor thang makes it every year it's right where Max can get to with his tie out and he gets his tie around it all of the time and just pulls it off as he walks away they must be tough plants I have one of those white hibiscus/red center that came up around that area too and same thing with his tie and they still do good lol

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8605825

Lea -- they should be first yr bloomers as they are an annual for me... hardy to zone8
Southern Star, Tweedia
Tweedia caerulea
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8605894

I love the little blue flowers on those seems I remember you saying they were an annual for us just wish they would show a picture of the whole plant instead of just the flowers the leaves look interesting heart shaped:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/124860/

Five seeds are pretty scary for me can't believe four out of five germinated good for you!

Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8606907

I have had a hummer on my Nepeta Walker's Low a lot this week. I thought the flowers looked like something they'd like, that's why I got it, but I can't remember ever seeing a hummer on it before this year. So that made me happy because those sure take up a lot of space. I started with one plant that I split into 3 sections, three years ago and each section is as big as the original plant was already. I was so excited to see a Monarch laying eggs on milkweeds today. Unfortunately it wasn't in my yard but I was still a wonderful sight. : )
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8608294

You have someone else in your neighborhood growing milkweeds that's cool no one here does don't know of anyone doing it guess the poor thangs have to depend on the wild along the roadsides I do see when the county mows they go around the orange milkweeds so that's a good thing I try and encourage people here to grow it but it's kind of hard when all they grow is shrubs because they don't want to take care of anything the way I feel these hot days I feel about the same way getting too old for all this heat and humidity I ask myself every year why I do this to myself lol

I have a couple of walker lows too and yes they do take a lot of space just divided one had three and sold it too much room but it is beautiful and the cats here just love it I have it all over the floor all summer and half the winter I always pick a big pile and pitch it on the kitchen floor of course it ends up all over the house ;) They must not have much of a smell in the spring my cats wouldn't pay any attention to it then for some reason...
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8609429

Actually it was at a VFW parking lot... Milkweeds growing along the edge. I am pretty sure they leave that area unmowed. I drive a bus and I pull in there between schools to check my bus, that day I saw a Monarch fly over to the Milkweed. I ran out with my camera phone but every time I got somewhat close enough to get a pic she took off. I saw one in my yard today and it was pretty funny that it went right to the Walker's Low.. lol :)
My kitty that has passed on liked it but not as much as the real deal nepeta cataria. My kitty Scrappy likes to sleep near it and sniff at it but he was never much of a catnip lover like my Simba was. :)
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8609592

Gosh my cats roll all over it and eat it it's so funny to watch I've planted the nepeta cataria or I think that's what it was three times from Critter she sent so many seeds lol But it doesn't come back the next year for me for some reason and they like the walker's low so I just use that one.

Man! I was going to check for eggs on the milkweeds here and never did today it's been a busy day and HOT almost 100! All I could do is water seedlings in pots running in to cool off then going back out to take them out of the water then back in to clean :( Kind of like winter it's so hot so I try and stay in and clean lol Pulled a few weeds but not that many just can't believe I have all of these darn weeds again I've gotten rid of them once!
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8610000

I hear you, I was trying to pull weeds last night, I didn't get too far. My problem is soe kind of annual grass, it trys to come in thick as a rug in some beds. But I can't get grass to grow out of the bed! I've also tried the nepeta cataria and it didn't come back for me either. It says it's hardy to z3 and invasive so I thought it was odd. I figured it's cause the cats eat it down to nothing so maybe it never develops enough to make it through winter. I hope that heat comes this way for the weekend I'm having a birthday party for my youngest daughter. We need pool party weather! lol
klstuart
Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8611596

Uggh, you can have our heat. We were out a little late this morning, didn't get moving until 8am... by 9:15 I was ready to call it quits and had probably sweated a few buckets of water. Was all I could do to weed a little and water the pots on the deck. NO fun. This is august weather, not May/June!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2011
3:48 AM

Post #8612080

we had a beautiful day yesterday... too bad i had to work til 3pm... but we had a good day when i got off.

today - for 3 days... 90-95 & humid .Ugggggggg. Raining right now... bad storms south of us.
Losing internet... so it's that bad... BBL - hopefully...
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2011
4:22 AM

Post #8612112

It was real hot for the few days around memorial day and I felt the same way, but it was awesome chillin by the pool weather. lol Bad for yard work though. Now my bloods thinned out and 60 feels freezing lol.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2011
8:43 PM

Post #8614313

I'm not much of a pool person my neighbor has a pool and I can get in it even when they are at work but never do they have lived here for about ten years I guess and think I have been in it maybe twice.

I had a seedling in one of my jugs that was different and potted it up it sure looks like catnip doesn't have a smell to it it's only a couple inches high but sure looks like it. Maybe the cats did eat the catnip never thought about that I have a few ferals here along with everyone else's cats that roam the field.

Terese send some of that rain here I sure could use some. Hope it doesn't storm too bad there.

Saw my first BST cat today sure was pretty! I showed it to the African lady across the street that doesn't speak English and she said 'flower' I told her 'butterfly' not sure she understood sure wish I could speak her language she is always chattering away about my flowers.

95 for the next two days then high 80's with tons of humidity Grrr it's killing me watering Kelly I agree this is only June what the heck is up with this! I can always make it thru August cause I know it will be over in a month but gessssh! I still have five gal. jugs to transplant it's just too hot and weeds to pull so I can get these plants in the ground I started just pulling weeds enough to get a few plants in last night guess that's what I'll do then worry about the other weeds if I ever get done lol

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8614892

in our Park... there are 2 small beds up by the 'upper pool' [that is the one up the hill from me]
I have been working on them about 2 yrs now. When i was doing my spring weeding, i noticed a plant -- and wasn't sure if it was a weed or not... i left it to see what it was... weds are easy to pull due to our sandy soil...

so glad i left it alone... saw it blooming the other night when we were at the pool. Very distinctive blooms...

Mountain Coneflower... Last night I looked up my notes [on google docs] and found i did indeed sow some, but according to my notes, nothing germinated... whoops, guess 1 did and i planted it, because that is definitely what it is. I'll try to remember to take a photo.

We have 2 pools in the Park... upper and lower [due to the hills in the park] I'm about 70 steps below the upper pool ... can peek to see if it is crowded before i head up there... Well, the lower pool is closed due to some 'imbalance' [so the health inspector says] so everyone, including all those screaming kids, are at the upper pool. so much for relaxing... I worked til just after 3, floated from about 3:30 til 4 yesterday... it was very refreshing... today is supposed to be worse temp and humid-wise from yesterday... and peeps are already complaining that that Saturday is supposed to be 60. I think they are exaggerating ... i havent checked the forecast ... We [the Upper Mid-west forum] have our RU this Saturday... i'm so not prepared.
Last year i had tons of plants to take... this year, zip.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8616186

That's too bad about the 2nd pool, hopefully they will get it opened back up soon, so the screaming kids go away! This time of year it's hard for me to get in but once the water is 82 degrees I can go in it for hours. So yes about hearing lousy weather is on the way, well lousy for my pool party anyway. Today I would have been in heaven if it was 60 degrees.. Way too hot for working without AC. My youngest dd is turning 4 and I've never thrown her, her very own Birthday party so I was just hoping it would be a perfect day for it. I guess when you want something that bad it never comes true, Murphy's Law right?
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8617347

I'll send you all so me of my heat & humidity I can hardly breath out in this stuff anymore, you all send me some cooler weather we'll put it in the trade tracker LOL

Last night I went to turn my sprinkler on to water my plants in the side yard It's one of those double circles that shoots water way out all around the bed still doesn't reach the edges but it's a God send I just love it! Well last night it wasn't rotating I've had it a few years after I turned it on and off a few times it was alright but I was freaking it's so much easier to water the bed that way going to take some duck tape to it today around a cupling that I saw leaking and hope that is the problem or maybe a bug got in there somehow to mess it up it's got to last forever I don't have the money for another one :)

My coneflowers are just beautiful this year and thought I lost my orange and lemons but I think I see it all of my other gaillardias were up way long before that one showed back up if it is that one, I waited so long for that plant to show up in our nurseries last year was the first year I ever saw it and it's been around for a long time! We are so far behind times here in the nurseries!
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8618775

Those sprinklers are great! I feel like they break easy, they make them that way so you have to keep buying them lol.. Some of my plants are beginning to look drought stricken already. I have soaker hoses in the beds but some of them shoot water out where the hose attaches to them. They are brand new, they seem so cheaply made, with plastic ends, but I can't find any that have the metal ends.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8619895

I'm sure you checked to make sure you still have washers at the end of the soaker hoses Meredith they do the same thing when they fall out. I've still got soaker hoses to get put out and haven't done it yet they make them so long wish I could find some shorter ones.

Those copper sprinklers are expensive! I couldn't afford to get another one never see any that aren't copper wonder why...

I went out to mess with the soaker hoses again and it's just too darn hot out I do good to water plants in pots that I have left to water in the evenings and get a plant or two in the ground even the new plants in the ground don't like this heat they seem to do better in the pots.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8620696

we are 40degrees colder than we were 2 days ago ...brrrrrrrrrr
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8620839

Actually I didn't check, but the water is squirting out below where the hose attaches, not from the hose and sprinkler attached area. It's like where the hose attaches to the plastic end. I tried twisting it a little but I was getting sprayed and was in a rush. I'm gonna fiddle with it some more another day. Hopefully I can fix it. It was close to a hundred here today, but then a thunder storm rolled in about 4:30 and cooled it down to 67 degrees. Much more comfortable!
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2011
9:12 AM

Post #8622145

I want some of that cooler weather and some of that cott'n picking rain! We have chances of rain all weekend I think but I don't believe it.

Get this 'one' of the guys that said he would till my garden called last night and wondered if I still wanted him too, the last time he waited to till it after it rained not much but enough not to be able to till we are suppose to get showers today guess that's why he said he would this evening :) Think he's gonna have to till this evening cause I doubt very much that we get any rain just wonder if it's too late to plant my cukes, zucchini and corn, he's going to till it weither it's too late or not so it will be ready for fall, I planted my zucchini late one year and didn't get anything off of them.

How about a piece of duck tape worth a try Meredith.

That reminds me I had vases put on my grandmother's, mom and dad's stones cause they were slanted and it was hard to put flowers on their grave without getting them weeded at the side of the stones and ruining them well went up there to put more flowers in with water and they had drilled a hole in the vases! That is not right! Guess they did it because of the skeeters laying eggs? But someone should have notified me of what they were going to do I just put duck taper over the holes :)

salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 10, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8622223

When I plant around the graves, I put Preen on the soil and edge the bed w/Round up to keep the grass and weeds from coming in too fast. A little salad oil in the vase would keep the mosquitoes from breeding
Herman
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8623817

Thanks Herman :) I'm planting some daylilies in between the stones this fall saw some at another grave site but they are pretty easy to weed around I have three graves so I will have two daylilies to plant my uncle is there too. The salad oil sounds like a great idea thanks so much!
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8627216

There's so many Daylily cultivars you could probably find one with their name or something else to commemorate them.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8629252

I have a few daylilies I split some up last year and planted them in the beds never even thought of putting any at the gave site until I saw one at the graveyard, no funds to even trade for any daylilies this year it's been a rough one but I have some pretty ones left to divide yet with this heat we have been having won't be doing it till this fall.

We have so many ticks this year! It creeps me out to even get in my weeds from all the rain in my beds to clean them out I've had so many on me so far this year! I cleared a bunch of weeds out in this one bed and ended up with about five ticks on me I've even seen them in the garages crawling on things CREEPY! I have several 5 gal. buckets under the gutters of one garages for rain water and went to get some water the other day and one was crawling around the top of the bucket! We have the big ticks and the little bity deer ticks that you can hardly see...those are the scary ones because you can barely see them.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 15, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8631591

Yes it has been an awful year for ticks! We have a lot around here too.
klstuart
Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8633021

Ahhhhh, I'm up in Delaware this week visiting my parents, and it's been mid 70s high most of the week! Love it! Picked up a Crape Myrtle (my mom has always wanted one), and got it planted Monday. Such a pleasure planting in this weather!!!
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8633717

Glad you are having such nice weather to plant in Kelly :)

I just lost one of my crape myrtles that I grew from seed in the field the boy that bought my field ran over it with the lawn mower :( I planted three in a row and the one in the middle (4' high) is growing like a weed and the other two on each end (only about 10" high) just sits there so he thought it was dead oh well I still have two left but just don't think one of them is going to make it. Then he proceeded to cut my Verbena hastatas by two of my grasses! Just thought they were weeds! I do have a few of those in my moon garden that reseeded though those are so danity looking I just love them and they do seem to glow in the evenings not sure if that's a good spot for them though considering how they are going to reseed lol The field was a better place for them just glad I got brave and planted some there last year or I would have lost them altogether.

Then my son took the push mower to the hill by my back door the other day for me and I had a sweet william that seeded from me just pitching seeds out (it was blooming!) that I thought were old and Terese that red milkweed was 'blooming' that I think was the red prairie and he cut that one down too :( Not a good week for my plants lol
klstuart
Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2011
10:18 AM

Post #8638397

Ooh, awful when that happens. Yet, nice to have the help so hard to fuss at them I know!

I'm a little worried to see my plants when I get home after having DH take care of them for me while DD and I were in Delaware... we had a bunch of storms at home, and I asked him if any of the pots blew over. He said yes, and he picked up all the ones he notices... hmm... not sure If his powers of observation can be trusted... we'll see!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2011
4:24 PM

Post #8640875

I just got back home to IL today... should have 3 full days of pulling weeds. got the kid to help me a bit.

Lea -- I will have to find out what it is... but it's an agastache with tiny blue flowers...i mean TINY. I'll have to find my camera.

there is tons of stuff blooming now... hopefully tomorrow will be good for working outside.. but i doubt it - mosquitoes are hungry... but i'll do an area at a time and then take pics.

the remained of seedlings will go in the ground and what didnt germinate will get dumped.

I had 3 out of 6 canna germinate. never had them before.

I'm exhausted... just gonna read and then rest...

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8640933

Lea -- I checked my spreadsheet... the Agastache that has tiny blue flowers... that was the "Agastache Surprise" that i had in the Hog Swap. I was thinking they would have been Purple Pygmy... guess not.

I have tons of them 'out back' too.. I had Alex weeding back there and there are thousands of little/short agastaches... they are about 8" tall.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8642274

Kelly lol I hope your plants were alright :) We had a good windy storm here too (54-60 mh winds) just knew some plants were goners because I had put some small pots on some shelves so the air good dry them out and had a late sowing of a tall red nicotiana that I finally found and it was water logged and beaten from another hard rain but all was well of course my nacotianas were still water logged :( I've lost half of those because of so much rain I just hope I get a couple of plants out of them.

Yep Terese those little agastaches are really small but so cute I've planted them with other short little plants so I have a little mini garden in front of a taller one in my side yard in between the house and garage decitated to those :)

I love those spider zinnias too they are so cool looking one got planted right in front of my purple catnip and they go so well together I'm thinking of planting the rest there how much do they fan out? How far apart should I plant them I have three more to plant ended up with five or six and gave one to the lady I volunteer for and one for Lisa up the street, I was thinking of planting one in the garden to attract pollinators I already have three of those african marigolds planted in there.

That reminds me I had this beautiful 'fireworks' plant last year never could tell what the seeds were to collect them but they have reseeded like crazy in my side yard I'm so happy it was such a huge plant that I'm afraid it won't have time to get full grown and bloom but heck my lantanas that reseed do so I'm hopeful it really attracts the bees so I put one of the seedlings in my garden too :

http://www.burpee.com/flowers/gomphrena/gomphrena-fireworks-prod000219.html

They say this plant gets up to 4' tall and 2' around it's more like 4' all over! But beautiful! I know my water guy last year was having a time trying to get to my water meter to read it mostly because of that plant last year I tried to make sure these reseeders aren't in his way he has big feet lol

Terese my fingers are so sore from pulling weeds! I have all of these cracks on my pointing finger from it I hate wearing gloves it does help but you can't get the smaller weeds when you have gloves on and I have so many of them.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8642671

Lea -- those tiny Agastaches are everywhere in that bed... i mean everywhere!! but with them being so small, i dont think they will choke anything out.

too bad, none of my Spiders came back from seed... i was hoping they would. I'll have to see if i have more seeds... i believe i gave you the packet from SummerHill. I had so many seeds that i did not get a chance to sow this year... mostly Zinns and Marigolds.

I went out in long jeans, long sleeved shirt, socks and shoes and still got chewed up today... with the rain this morning, the weeds pulled out easily.

I had to clear areas so i can plant the last of my WS"ed stuff. plus i have Caladiums bulbs to stick in the ground...
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8643011

The mosquitoes are wicked this year! They've been coming after me in the blazing sun! I tried one of those personal bug repellent clip ons but it ended up falling in the dirt and now it doesn't seem to run too well..
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2011
7:39 AM

Post #8644361

Terese I think I had a few seeds left I'll look this afternoon and see for you.

The weeds here are easy to yank out too Terese I just have so many of them!

My neighbor has these big blue barrels in his back yard three of them they should be full of rain water by now and he never empties them! One is full of crushed cans the other two just sit there not being used he was suppose to get me a couple 2 yrs. ago and never has for rain barrels. How do I ask him to please empty the rain water out that side of the yard has so many mosquitoes I can't even work in my bed hardly!

Yesterday his son walked down to the convenient to get smokes and when he came back he threw his sack in my yard I went over to ask him not to do that and he throws his butts out of the car right into my yard by the mail box there aren't any butts in their yard they are all in mine (he rides on this side of the car) I've been on those people since they moved here about garbage in my yard and the butts, they are nice people but gesh give me a break! I hate to keep complaining...there are leaves at the corner of my mail box I'm afraid later this summer he is going to cause a fire!

So Meredith that mosquitoe clip on thing seems to work? How long is it suppose to work for I've been thinking of trying one of those.

Already I'm seeing evidence of finches on my coneflowers they always get most of my seeds and the flowers haven't even finished yet! Just saw one finch out there flying around, they are so pretty but they are such hogs lol

It's suppose to rain again this afternoon, going to see if my son will cut the grass for me again boy after Father's Day Sunday and Monday was he Birthday and he has discovered the computer since he has been out here so he is on it all of the time he is addicted like I used to be seems funny for him to be on it all the time lol

Gosh I can't believe I have a son that is 39 I'm getting old and have the wrinkles to prove it LOL

I saw another hummer this weekend :) Now I have two :)) Can't wait until the rest of them come back I'm really missing them!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8644411

Lea -- i just checked... i have a lot of Zinn seeds, including Red Spider.

Heavens -- i will need to be shot if i do the Swap this fall. i still have WAY too many seeds, and i have found -- I"M OUT OF ROOM for plants. I have a bunch of seedlings i have to get in the ground today or tomorrow... the bugs are biting so bad, I dont want to go back there.

I dont have Hummers here, wish i did. lots in Wisc though. I have one that dominates the area -- but sometimes i'll see 3 sitting the feeders at one time.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8644787

Terese get you some of that Avon SSS (Skin So Soft) lotion it really seems to help here I get tired of putting Deep Woods on and it stinks lol I'm going to try one of those clip on mosquitoe things next time I go to Wal Mart that may be today depends on how things go here maybe tomorrow I'll let you know how that works when I do get one maybe Meredith will come back and let us know...

Glad you found some more seeds imagine that LOL Every year I say I'm not doing the swap and every year I do I have so many darn seeds can't even get thru them to sort it takes forever by the time I get them out to plant I have them all mixed up and spend the rest of the summer trying to straighten them out that's one of my proiorities right now to get these seeds sorted so I can make room for more LOL I did good this year though not asking for many every year it gets less and less.

Just one year I would LOVE to have a year to get my beds straightened out instead of worried about watering seedlings and planting them! Who was it that didn't get any seeds planted last year and ONLY have to tweak their beds this year I ENVY you don't think that will ever happen for me LOL LOL
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2011
11:10 AM

Post #8644818

Hi Lea! Last night DG stopped working for me! So weird because that has never happened to me before. I think the clip works, I had it on the back of my jeans because it seems that's their favorite place to bite me. You know when your kneeled down and bent over... where your shirt just rides up enough back there for them to bite you! I also had skintastic bug spray on most of the times I use it. So I was doubled up, but I felt like the clip on, kept them away better. Usually with just bug spray they still hover and land for a second, which still drives me crazy.. I think you'd like that Off Skintastic.. You should try it, it's like a happy medium of Skin so Soft and regular bug spray. It doesn't make you greasy at all. And the smell is somewhat pleasant (after the initial strong smell from spraying dies off)

Had to edit due to some strange thing with my typing ending up in the middle of my already typed paragraph... Something else that is new to me! lol

This message was edited Jun 21, 2011 2:12 PM

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8644910

I do have SSS 'oil' i think it's a bath oil... i'll try some... i am literally dreading going back out there... the upper80's temps have something to do with that too though...
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2011
1:11 PM

Post #8645092

Meredith did you just get a laptop by any chance I have one and that happens alllll the time so aggravating just right click and hit undo then you can start again with the rest of the paragraph :) If you just have a desk top it will do the same thing it just never did that on a desk top when I had one…

Thanks for the report on the clip :)

Seems like I got some of that Skintastic when it first came out but it didn't work here I have some hard core mosquitoes here lol

I've used the bath oil too Terese when I was in a pinch it works but so messy just use it when I really have to.

Yep it's so humid here and with this storm coming in I would really like to get some plants in the ground but have been deadheading weeds that I can't get to to dig yet too many of them don't want the rain beating them in the ground here grrr! I've been cutting the tops off of them before but it just makes them branch out more double grrr lol

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8645330

I saw that "personal" bug thing at Sams... it was the unit plus 4 refills -- says each last 12 hrs.
it was 11bucks... i didnt want to spend the money. *sigh*

a big storm must be rolling thru tonight.. only supposed to be 74f tomorrow.
OH, another weather thing says 78 tomorrow... why can't they all give the same forecast for the same town??
either way... cooler than today. Maybe i'll plant tomorrow.
klstuart
Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2011
6:33 AM

Post #8646448

Well, the plants survived! Though that may have been mostly due to the fact that we got rain almost every day I was gone ;-) This is the rainiest, windiest June I can remember having here. Not a ton of rain, but just heavy storms most nights. Interesting, and pretty good from a garden standpoint. The leaves and flowers are a little beat up looking, but at least they're not dried out very often! My lack of staking is presenting a bit of a problem... one of these years I'm going to actually get everything staked that needs it...

Lea, I didn't get any seeds planted this year, but between the volunteers I found and potted up, the cuttings I've taken just for the fun of it, and the plants I managed to buy I'm still behind on planting and have to water tons of little pots!

About the neighbors containers... could you sneak over there with a cordless drill and put a couple of holes in the bottom of it? Or even ask if he minded? If he's just using it to collect cans he shouldn't mind...
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8646506

$11 dollars is a great deal for all that! I didn't want to spend the money either, but I thought if it worked it would be worth it.. I got mine on sale at Walgreens and it was like $15 for the unit and a seperate refill pack that has 2 or 3 in it. Just so you know I haven't had to change the original cartridge it came with so they seem to last a good while.

Wanted to add that the bug spray I buy cost 7.99, that also seems a bit much, doesn't it!?

This message was edited Jun 22, 2011 10:02 AM
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2011
7:06 AM

Post #8646515

Lea I'm sorry I forgot to answer your question about me having a laptop! Yes I do and I think it's the mouse causing the problem. It's one of those touchpads, that gives me an idea to go in and adjust it's sensitivity... I had to have a new harddrive put in, so the settings are probably back to standard. IT could just be too sensitive and picking up my hovering over it when typing. :)
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8648895

Kelly The neighbors have a son that stays with school aged children all day so they would know if I drilled holes in the barrels. I'll try and talk to them about it this weekend already I've gone over about the trash that two of the boys pitch in my yard I hate being one of those neighbors but they need to quit all this crap too.He has three of those barrels out back I know one is just empty and one has cans in it have no idea what the other one has in it if anything.

Isn't that a trip Kelly lol You didn't plant any seeds and still have so many seedlings to plant and water you just can't win LOL

Bug Spray yep I'm done with it it's so expensive and doesn't last seems I'm putting it on three times a day but I'm outside all day long until dark! So think the bug clip would be well worth it.

Well the other day I deadheaded weeds so they wouldn't reseed in my beds before it rained and didn't get anything planted and yesterday I worked out in one bed trying to get all the weeds and purple top out of it to plant some annuals close to the porch this is a small bed and it took me all day just when I got done with the weeds and ready to plant we had another storm! Wondering today if it's going to be too wet to plant now I have dahlias with buds on them that I'm really wanting to get in the ground.

Haven't been out yet but some critter tore a coleus up and tried to dig one of my EE's up after planting it a couple of days ago didn't eat them just dug them up! I'm afraid to go out and see what damage he did last night! lol

I've had my laptop for a few years now and always hit something that loses my dmails or whatever sometimes I don't think I'll ever get used to it :)
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8672461

Hope every one is having a nice fourth of july. My dh is getting the fireworks ready! : )
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8677229

I worked for the animal rescue lady, really she is fun to work for a real nice lady, then sat out front and watched fireworks later the neighbors were lighting.

I finally had a chance to slip something in about her breading mosquitoes next door I was out looking at her garden with her and we walked past one of her empty barrels with the rain water in it just sitting there leaned over and glanced in it when we walked past it and there were all kinds of larva in there I said oh your breeding mosquitoes and she said what! Then I told her she should get her husband to drill some holes in the barrels by the house that he puts cans in and empty that one, well the barrel is turned over but not so sure he has drilled holes in the can barrels yet I can only hope he did.

Got one of those clips Meredith for the mosquitoes and it didn't work that little white thing in there that keeps the fan on doesn't do what it's suppose to do need to put something over it to keep it going haven't had time to figure out what I'm putting in there maybe a piece of tape I'll check it out in a couple of days it's crazy here trying to keep my little seedling pots watered and back to volunteering too.

Humidity is coming back this weekend it was killer out there today though it was one day I was glad to be at the cat lady's working :)
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8677866

I'm glad your neighbor knows she's breeding mosquitos! Hopefully they keep those barrels empty now! My dh put the clip together for me. If it was up to me I probably wouldn't have gotten it working right. Make sure the cartridge is the right way. I was going to put it in backwards but dh stopped and did it right. :)
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8678517

I was thinking someone had brought this clip back the package wasn't sealed and with you saying be sure to put it together right it was already together didn't have to do anything so I'm betting Wal Mart got it back with it not working and put it back in their stock I've gotten several things like that in the past! It's very agravating when I live out in the country and only go there once in two weeks! I try not to even go then.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8678672

I bet Walmart is horrible like that!
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8681950

I don't think this thing works for doing weeds out in the beds maybe if I'm standing still transplanting at a table I still had those little critters on me last night :)

You know I've only seen one monarch this year so far plenty of BST and can't even find any eggs on my milkweeds and they are going to seed too maybe it's a little early for monarchs here I had so many last year I wish I would mark it down when they come!

Meredith did you find your Cinderellas? They are so bushy, mine get around 3' around can't miss those if you have them. I'm kind of disapointed in my red prarie milkweeds they are just stalks with leaves, this is just the second year for them the one plant I had in the back that my nice son cut down for me mowing the hill looked so pretty they sure liked that spot a lot better and it got a lot more shade than where the ones that I planted I just hope they look nicer next year I just went out to heck them and the leaves haven't even started to get that red vein in them yet looks like they should have them by now on their second year.

Terese my orange seedlings are about 6 or 8" tall and blooming :) They look so cute lol AND I'm finally at the point to tell this guy off that bought my field he told me I could still plant it or keep it the same way until I'm gone and he has ruined my virburnum there it was so perfect and beautiful (3' tall and around) but he got too close to it with the mower and half of it is gone! Today he cut my bee balms down that you sent me and they were blooming how did he miss those! I had pop bottles on a stick marking them and they are gone and cut to pieces too! He comes by to talk to me several times a day and he doesn't want to see me today!!!! Oh and I had my oxeyes that I planted from Critter on one side of the bee balms earlier this year and they were blooming and he cut them down!!! I am upset!!!
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8682892

Lea I have to deal with that kind of stuff from my dh. Last year he hacked down one my small spicebush plants with the weed wacker and I had a 5' tall bamboo stick marking where it was so he wouldn't do that! He's always accidentally running stuff over or something! So the thing with the milkweed is they are in my butterfly garden which has become quite overgrown and if I try to go in there to search for them I will be the mosquitos afternoon snack. That is the only proble with really thick large garden beds. The mosquitos make them home during the day... I can't walk in there without them biting me no matter what I do. I need a bee suit! lol

Thumbnail by Meredith79

LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8683564

That's beautiful Meredith! I bet he cuts some down sometimes when he is mowing around it too! That's what happens with my wild bird garden in the field too, my room mate cut one of my Black Adler Hollies down at one end then it was coming up again and Trey (the boy) cut it down again this year! It had a fence around it like my Pecan tree in the back yard I had a fence around it and he just cut it down it was two yrs. old and I was so tickled that the squirrels planted it for me! I have another BAH on the other end of the WBG but one of those wild roses protects it no one will get close to that!

I saw Trey yesterday he stopped by to talk and I told him not to even come around for a few days that he cut one of my plants down again and he asked which one and I told him eventually he would cut them all down or kill them so what did it matter which one I am really upset! He is dying to take a bush hog to my wild bird garden and keeps cutting closer and closer on the sides of it! I have honey suckle blooming It’s head off there (a beautiful orange color) and he still cuts it down (I got starts to it this spring). I had a Baltimore Oreo the other day there and I never see those and have so many Meadow Larks and Grosbeaks because of that wild bird garden!

My side yard looks like that, I only have three Cinderella’s in it but the Queen's Anne Lace makes it so full I was trying to get some of the QAL out the other day because it was shading so much of the shorter plants they are getting way too leggy then one of the pink hibiscus came up from reseeding and I already had one of those and another one plus a big butterfly bush, I transplanted a Jacob Cline this year and stupid me put it by the Inoxia Datura that comes up every year because they are so tall sometimes they need staking figured it would help it stand up not thinking of it shading it too much, had a duh moment lol

My sprinkler in the middle of the bed can't even reach the other plants the QAL is all around it and as tall as it is and really I hate to pull too much of it because I keep getting cats from them it would just kill me if I pulled one that had eggs on it! It's my fault because I keep sprinkling the seeds from the QAL and figured I would clean them out before the butterflies got here well I did that but they just keep germinating with all of this rain LOL

I can't even get in the bed without mashing a plant I have those Malva Zebrinas reseeding everywhere and Scarlet Magic’s can't bring myself to pull them not to mention the purple top verbenas, I did have to get out there and make a path for the water guy to be able to read the meter so this year I put stepping stones for him he has big feet and doesn't care where he puts them LOL Oh and I have Fireworks that reseeded too that is going to be interesting when they get full grown if they get enough sun to because they get about 4' around LOL

Now I see that cleomes have reseeded you know how they reseed and the Pineapple Sages! My poor penstemons, sedums, asters and a few other plants are in for the fight of their life at least the penstemons blooms are starting to wind down but I have an Orange and Lemons gaillardia on the edge of the bed that is just now in full bloom that I thought I had lost he does get the afternoon sun so I'm hoping that he makes it, such a mess but it looks good LOL
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8683612

All your flowers sound wonderful! Hopefully he stays away from your plants in the future!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8688388

One way to deter a Mad Mower is with cinder blocks or paving stones! If each bed has a border around it, it's safe from a lawn mower. A weed wacker is harder to fend off.

I used to live on a corner at the end of a long straightaway. People would get liquored up on weekends, miss the corner, and take out my mailbox plus a swath of lawn.

Eventually I put a very low rock wall there "to help them stop" before they snapped the mailbox off its post yet again. Once I caught a Volkswagon!

Corey
klstuart
Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2011
3:58 AM

Post #8698903

We had a string of rotten teenagers who would go around knocking over mailboxes when I was a kid. My dad got tired of it, and built a 2.5 x 2.5 ft base for the mailbox with brick, and filled it with concrete. Hasn't lost one since :)

Is everyone on here also on Cubits? If not, send me a quick dmail, there's news you need to hear.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

July 20, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8704853

NH garden club sent me a Therma=cell mosquito repelling lantern to test. It works. I took it into the raspberry patch and didn't get one bite. Also weeding at dusk. Just put it down and work. Dont move too far away. They will be waiting. No idea on price or refills. Works with butane heating a little patch with repellant. They have a clip-on, too. I don't have stock. Just my experience with it. BTW Their forums cannot compare to Dave's Cecropia moth drying out
Herman

Thumbnail by salix_man

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cottage Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
my garden...ever changing notmartha 109 Jun 19, 2010 3:07 AM
The Evolution of a 1917 Cottage Garden lincolnitess 7 Jun 13, 2008 8:36 PM
June -to the end! notmartha 81 Mar 7, 2008 10:29 AM
i luv this pic notmartha 52 May 2, 2008 3:49 AM
Annuals in the Cottage Garden ladygardener1 68 Jun 6, 2010 1:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America