Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

African Violets and Gesneriads: New African violet!!!

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads
bookmark
Forum: African Violets and GesneriadsReplies: 15, Views: 192
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Roly0217

Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 17, 2010
6:47 AM

Post #8216549

Hello everybody !!!! I'm so thrilled that I decided to go to Home Depot today. I know that they always get new plants on Tuesdays so I try to go on Wednesdays or on Sunday after the Saturday delivery. Well I went today and wasn't really looking for anything when I happen to come across this beautiful AVs. I was going to get like 3 but I have to wait until tomorrow for my paycheck so I only went with one. It's an Optimara and I'm pretty sure that I was able to ID it correctly from their site as Rhapsodie Teressa. Would you recommend me to repot it into my own mix?? I use 50/50 peat moss to perlite. Maybe a bit more perlite and have learned that a wick is probably a very good way to water them so that there won't be drops on the leaves that may cause burns. If this is so just let me know and I'll do it ASAP. Here are some pictures.

This message was edited Nov 17, 2010 9:51 AM

Thumbnail by Roly0217
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Roly0217

Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 17, 2010
6:48 AM

Post #8216552

It's definetely not a mini since it spans to almost 12 inches to I will consider it a standard. Here is a picture on the floor over the 12 inch tile.

Thumbnail by Roly0217

Roly0217

Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 17, 2010
6:50 AM

Post #8216556

And finally it's rack where it gets plenty of east morning sun. I've got right above it in the upper rack the leaves that I got from Bonnie. Thanks again !!!

Thumbnail by Roly0217

jamiew
Montgomery, AL

November 17, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #8216619

That's very pretty. It looks like it could be potted up. I'd put my own soil in there, removing as much of the old as possible. I always put a layer of perlite at the bottom of the pot. I worry about mites when I purchase from stores and remove all blooms, spray with Neem oil solution and apply Bonide granules in my soil. I like to take off the tattered and spotted leaves too. It promotes new growth. It'll come back beautiful. But wait and see what others suggest too. I'd go back tomorrow for the other two!
wiggiej
Ann Arbor, MI

November 17, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #8216652

How fun! Looks like you've got a great spot there. I don't have anything to add to Jamie's advice, except that if you're not nuts about using bionide, you could isolate it for a bit. This one is big, but for smaller plants, I keep them in a ziplock bag or in some kind of plastic container for about two months. Others probably will have better ideas.

Watch out for that Home Depot -- it's been the downfall of several of us already. It all starts with one violet, before you know it, you're hooked!

Have fun, and go get those other two!

Jan #3/ wiggiej
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2010
8:50 AM

Post #8216761

Congrats on finding a beauty!! Jamie has some good info for you. I would also try to get most of the soil off of it and repot in my own mix. Your commercial growers use a heavy peat mix that works for greenhouse growing and won't work very good for you in your home. As bad as I hate to say it...I also think you should remove all blooms and buds. PLEASE keep it isolated from Bonnie's leaves and all others. Not only do you have to worry about mites, but thrips also. It isn't worth taking chances.

Connie
GrowHappy
Nottingham, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2010
9:16 AM

Post #8216807

What Connie said.:)

Roly0217

Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 17, 2010
10:01 AM

Post #8216896

I have to say that I'm hoping that this will really help. After repotting and removing most of the older leaves and blooms this is what I'm left with. I'm soo sorry for the plant. How long before it might bloom again??

This message was edited Nov 17, 2010 1:21 PM

Thumbnail by Roly0217

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2010
10:12 AM

Post #8216916

Awwww...we really are trying to help :) I honestly wouldn't let her bloom for at least two to three months in case there were any thrips. That will give them time to starve and die out. She will thank you for all of this in a few months :))))))

Connie

Roly0217

Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 17, 2010
10:28 AM

Post #8216942

I am familiar with thrips and mites. Before I had orchids and they were somewhat of a problem but nothing that couldn't be solved. I really didn't find anything on the cut bloom spikes and bud or the leaves. There was no bloom damage either other than the spent blooms. I'm starting to regret having cut so many leaves and the pretty flowers.
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

November 17, 2010
11:42 AM

Post #8217056

It's so hard to do, but it's recommended in every article that I've read on the subject. Maybe you can enjoy another one that's new and in bloom in another, removed, location of your home and them cut it back after if finishes its' flower show?
lilypad22
(tish) near Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #8217070

I will say with the opt. that you never can tell the size of a pot by the plant. Usually you would go 1/3 the size of plant to pot size. But sometimes there is not much root system. They are blooming because they were grown as plugs and therefore rootbound. Then they pot them up. When you wash off all the peat soil it comes potted in sometimes you are left with not as much roots as you would expect. I had bought a plant at lowes recently to use as a display plant of the soil you get when you buy it and showed what the soil you repot it in should look like. So later when I washed off the peat to repot, it had hardly any roots at all...so I took off more leaves to give it a better chance for the roots to catch up to support the plant growth. Got it isolated and covered in a clear deli cake container.

tish
Vadis
Alum Bridge, WV

November 18, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #8219632

I don't understand all the fuss. You buy a plant to enjoy it - so enjoy rather than mutilate. Use a corner of the plant stand or window sill where you new plant is somewhat isolated and still in view, and give it TLC. After a week or so, take a leaf or two and propagate your new plant. At that time, when it has gotten accustomed to its new environment, repot it in your usual soil. If you act so darned professional you take the fun out of it. Enjoy, the tinker to your motherly hearts content.
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

November 22, 2010
7:28 AM

Post #8224994

Patience is a virtue!

Roly0217

Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 22, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #8225743

Well newer leaves are emerging and it's not looking as tiny anymore since the leaves that were standing upright have relaxed a bit and now are parallel to the counter while the newer ones are the ones in the upright position. Hopefully I'll have blooms soon.
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2010
11:00 AM

Post #8227193

It sounds like it's doing very well.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America