Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The 'seasoned' gardener cooks with sage: Nice article about a favorite herb!

Communities > Forums > Article: The 'seasoned' gardener cooks with sage
bookmark
Forum: Article: The 'seasoned' gardener cooks with sageReplies: 0, Views: 4
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #8216582

I have a sage plant that has survived two moves, and much neglect, and is still thriving! It is my twelve year old son's favorite plant. He often heads straight for it when he goes outside, and likes to rub the leaves between his fingers to release the scent of it, and then pop a few leaves into his mouth and chew them up!

We have a nice variation on your stuffing recipe that our family really enjoys. Omit the celery from the stuffing, and add chopped granny smith apples. Brown pork chops quickly in a little oil in a pan, then lay them on top of the uncooked stuffing in a 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle with either chopped fresh sage, or dry rubbed sage. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10-20 minutes, till chops are cooked through, depending on the thickness of your chops. My husband prefers the inch thick America-cut chop, so I cover for 35 minutes, then uncover for 15 to allow the surface of the stuffing to dry and crisp a little. The sage and apple are wonderful together, and the chops pick up so much flavor from being cooked with the stuffing!

Thanks again for a great article!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The 'seasoned' gardener cooks with sage Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sage MichaelZ 7 Nov 24, 2010 1:55 PM
I use sage for everything... Sundownr 1 May 18, 2009 7:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America