Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Soil and Composting: question about compost tea

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 10, Views: 111
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rfonte649
Lake Charles, LA

November 17, 2010
11:49 AM

Post #8217065

I am fixing to make a batch of compost tea, my question is, would adding coffee grinds be of any benefit to it and how about adding a little bit of bokashi. thanks

i
Lettuceman
Dayton, WA

November 18, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #8218419

Well, the coffee grinds are loaded with nitrogen. They're also slightly acidic...What the hell is bokashi?
rfonte649
Lake Charles, LA

November 18, 2010
12:16 PM

Post #8218874

Bokashi is a way of pickling your food scraps, do a search on dg, very interesting. I am presently brewing a batch.
Lettuceman
Dayton, WA

November 18, 2010
12:35 PM

Post #8218892

I'm guessing you use vinegar in the pickling process. I use vinegar to kill certain broadleaf weeds...don't know if I'd want it in my compost tea!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #8219174

Hehehe, no, Lettuceman, Bokashi is a cultured-type "compost" that is fermented, but I can see why rfonte would call it "pickled".

Here is a quick page I brought up on a search which will give you a fairly good idea of what it is, how easy it is, and the end results.

http://www.compostguy.com/bokashi-resource-page/

As to answering rfonte's question(s), the coffee grounds could go in your compost tea but you'd get better benefit from them if applied in situ. And if they have been brewed they will normally be of a neutral pH.

As for applying bokashi to your tea, if you are brewing tea (aerating) then that would be helpful as the bokashi life require air. If your "tea" is simply a leach then I think you'd be wasting your bokashi as the vital organisms within it would die.

Shoe, who admits to never have done Bokashi but has only kept records and research on it.

Lettuceman
Dayton, WA

November 18, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #8219315

Thanks for that info. Shoe. Quite interesting, but I prefer my simple method of keeping a bucket under my sink for kitchen scraps (no meat). When it gets full or begins to smell, out it goes to my compost pile out back. I'm a great fan of simplicity!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #8219481

Ditto, here, Lettuceman... scraps go into a container, then out to one of the bins, or to feed the chickens. As you said, "When it gets full or begins to smell,"... there's our signal to move, eh!?

By the way, how's your sales been this year? Still going strong?

Shoe

rfonte649
Lake Charles, LA

November 18, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #8219574

Its a form of pickling, I guess, the ph has to below 4 to be effective. There are many different ways to use the bokashi. It is the only way I have ever got my compost pile up to 130 degrees. Whats great about it, there is no smell while the bucket is in the kitchen or wherever you keep your scraps. Including meat and dairy products. Only a slightly sour odor, when u open the bucket.
Lettuceman
Dayton, WA

November 18, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #8219664

Yes, my organic garden sales continue to be strong--increasing every year. I think more and more people are discovering what constitutes good, fresh food. They tell me they're getting turned off by the supermarket fare these days. No doubt you're seeing the same trend in your corner of the woods, eh Shoe?
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2010
7:57 AM

Post #8220132

Thanks for that extra info, rfonte. Maybe one day I'll give Bokashi a try.

And yes, L-man, small farms/sales are increasing in this area. Most likely a lot of help came from the past food contamination episodes that plagues the Country and people now want to know their food source.

Happy Gardening, All!

Shoe
PuddlePirate
North Ridgeville, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2010
10:50 AM

Post #8220454

You want info on bokashi composting? Heeeeeere ya go! :)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/890510/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America