Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Home Decorating: molding color? ...

Communities > Forums > Home Decorating
bookmark
Forum: Home DecoratingReplies: 18, Views: 115
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #8217884

I am redoing a basement room ( 11x18 ... Actually bigger because it has another small area attached) ...I'm going to use it for my own small photography studio, The ceiling of course is white, I'm going to paint the walls off-white, But, I wanted the moldings to be a little bit off color from the off white walls and white ceiling, Anyone have any suggestions? A very light grey perhaps? Or an offwhite that is a tinge darker?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #8218180

what about a high gloss white?

what would be other 'accents' in the room?

maybe a tan or camel?

though i do like shades of gray.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #8218264

There wouldn't be many other accents in the room besides the flash lighting, camera, And equipment, A maple computer desk - which has all black on it .. A black lamp, computer, Computer screen, speakers.The reason why I don't go with a high gloss white is because I want the ceiling to stand out white, It is a highly textured ceiling and hard to paint ( I have painted it once so far) and even if there is no smoking, ceilings do get dirty ( dust that isn't cleaned over time? or I dont know what) But, anyways, I wouldn't want to put anything thats brighter white then the ceiling. But, I do think the highgloss white is nice.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2010
7:31 AM

Post #8218321

I would probably make the moldings white/off white and paint the wall a slightly darker color instead to make the molding stand out more. My personal taste is that I'd rather see the moldings slightly lighter than the wall rather than darker.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #8218434

ecrane3, I like it that way too, But, Because it's a photo studio, I still have to go with white, So do you think if I just got a dark shade of white and a lighter shade it would be good? ( I am absolutely terrible at trying to match colors and make it work, Especially with white!
J2222
Southern California, CA

November 19, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #8220956

The ceiling is white, the walls are off white, there are touches of black on desk and electronics. What color is the floor? What is composition of floor? Where are the moldings exactly? Wood moldings around window or door or floor or what?
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #8221067

The ceiling is white, But does not lok as white as it should because of the shadowing from the lighting, The wall are primed, They are not painted yet, All the mouldings are primed, Not painted yet, The floor has a light brownish/tan short lap carpeting, There are 3 doors, They are brown hllow dorrs, Which are all going to be replaced and primed, There are two windows and those are brown wood which I am leaving as is. The moldings will be ll around the doors and windows, Top and bottom of walls all the way around.
J2222
Southern California, CA

November 20, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #8221852

Sounds nice. For the trim buy an expensive quality paint-even if you have to pay shipping online. The colors will be better than cheaper paints and it will prob. cover better, too. Generally paint type for trim is more eggshell or semigloss. Maybe you can buy first a small jar of one or more colors to try out before you invest a lot of time and are disappointed with the results. Or sometimes I just find a color that is similar and hang it near the trim and that gives me a good idea whether I like color. It could be anything-a sheet of paper or a nightgown or towel as long it will give you an idea of color. Trim a darker color than walls I usu. associate with Williamsberg VA, but this photo I tore from a magazine says it is “Arts & Crafts” too. It’s a gorgeous look, but to come out right you must take pains to paint the trim and doors as perfectly as you can b/c with the darker trim, the trim paint will be showing up a lot-standing out. Here is a link to Ralph Lauren paint. I would hold the “chips” up to your carpet and choose on that basis—a lighter tan than the carpet, but still much darker than the walls. The tan I think would and should blend with the carpet rather than adding a new gray color to the color theme of the room. Please ignore the writing on this photo-I always scribble thoughts down, for instance I liked the colored moulding and also the blue wicker chairs.

http://interiordec.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=interiordec&cdn=homegarden&tm=275&f=20&su=p284.9.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//rlhome.polo.com/rlhome/products/paint/default.asp

Thumbnail by J2222
Click the image for an enlarged view.

J2222
Southern California, CA

November 20, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #8221858

Here is another photo of gray moulding and trim and doors with light walls. Trim seems to be in the gray that you suggested, but here I think the floors are grayish and since yours are more tan, I would go with a tan trim.

Thumbnail by J2222
Click the image for an enlarged view.

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2010
1:56 PM

Post #8222130

Thanks j222, I have to be carefull on the color because I am using it as a photography room, I have to stay light/In the whites or very dark grey and I prefere to stay light, I was planning on changing the floor color later as I went along.
J2222
Southern California, CA

November 20, 2010
2:01 PM

Post #8222138

Well, if your next carpet color (or cement, even) is going to be in the gray tones, a gray trim would work. Like photo #2 or lighter in tone.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #8224043

I went with white tones, Fallen Snow flat paint for the walls and Snowy Pine (satin) for the Trim, I got the walls painted today and I really like how it looks, Hoping to get the trim done and up with the next few days. :)

This message was edited Nov 21, 2010 8:11 PM
J2222
Southern California, CA

November 21, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #8224096

Good choice. I have similar in my house and I've never tired of it.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #8224152

Thanks J2222! I love the wall color, But, Got to wait and see how I like the trim, Hopefully it will look good together.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #8224192

Btw, I like how yours looks, My molding will be a lot lighter then yours though, Will definately notice the difference in color, But, Still pretty light
J2222
Southern California, CA

November 21, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #8224230

I think it will be beautiful, and all fresh and new, too. I'd be interested in seeing a photo when your'e done.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2010
7:46 PM

Post #8224413

Thanks J, I'll be sure to post some for you!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2010
7:55 PM

Post #8224428

I would think various shades of white would look really nice.

J obviously had some great advice.

can't wait to see some images when you are done painting.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2010
8:49 PM

Post #8224491

It will all be such a slight light variation I hope I can catch the difference with the camera, I think i can though, Will post potos as soon as I can get the moldings painted and put back on.:)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 163 Jul 31, 2007 1:21 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 42 Aug 16, 2014 11:12 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America