Tug Pics

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Here are a couple new pics of Tug. He is 29 months now and growing nicely. Still gentle as a kitten and very level headed.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

His tail is to the ground and his mane is past his shoulder. His Momma was the same way.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Richmond, TX

What a handsome colt!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks. He is really a sweetheart too. I hope he gaits well under saddle. I had hoped to have his training started already but life has gotten in the way. He is going to be my saddle horse. Quite a difference from Shaq but I am looking forward to working with Tug and taking him out on the trails.

Richmond, TX

I'm sure you've told us before but what is his breeding?

South Hamilton, MA

Thank you for posting the pictures. I hope that we are all good tempered so that our children are as well. heh heh Don't we all learn from animals?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I don't know anything about his sire. His dam was a little red and white spotted racking pony we rescued. She was in foal when we got her. The only thing I can surmise is that his sire was quite a bit taller than his dam. Tug is nearly twice her size at 2yo. She was a pretty little mare but we really didn't have any use for her and after we moved here we didn't have a proper place for her so we gave her to a little girl who needed a horse. I saw pics of her riding "Granny" and they looked like a perfect pair. Tug is gaited. I hope he is a smooth ride.

Iris, we learn if we are smart. If I ever come to the point where i think I know it all and can't learn anything else, please shoot me and put me out of my misery.

South Hamilton, MA

Glad to hear that 'Granny' has a good home.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have found out that the little girl we gave Granny to has traded her for a larger horse. She outgrew Granny but Granny has gone to one of the little girl's friends and still has a very good home.

South Hamilton, MA

whew! That happens with children.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I am just glad to know Granny still has a good home where she is well cared for and loved. Every horse should have that but we both know it isn't the case sometimes.

South Hamilton, MA

How is
Firefly doing with a single eye?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Firefly is fine. It was Glory who put her eye out. She is doing fine too. Just like nothing happened. Thanks for asking.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Tug looks great!! Of course by now he's probably covered in mud but he's growing well.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

He pretty much stays in his barn. Good thing with him being white. He has put on a growing spurt. Not a lot of height but he is finally starting to get a bit stout. I was beginning to wonder if he would. I'm glad I haven't needed to geld him. If this week's weather is any indicator of what the winter is going to be like, I won't get to break Tug until Spring. But it won't be a bad thing. It will let him mature. I need to get a stick on him and see just how tall he is.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Good looking horse Cajun..

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks. I hope his rack matches his personality. He'll be real good one.

South Hamilton, MA

Did you get a chance to measure with the stick before the nasty weather set in? Although with 9 horses to care for, I admit that is a minor project.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

No. It's a project for nicer weather.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Still have not gotten to do any work with Tug. Hoping to board him at a friend's barn in the next month or so. We have a lot going on at church so it's busy right now. Trying to get the garden planned and then planted too. My friend's barn has a riding ring. I am really looking forward to riding Tug.

South Hamilton, MA

good luck with him--he can be great.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks. I have high hopes for him. He has big tracks to fill coming behind Shaq. But I really like the fact that Tug does not have to carry all the baggage that Shaq was strapped with. I so hope I can get Shaq into a good home. He is a special horse.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Some new pics of Tug. We had him gelded on Monday. I hope he will start to fill out quickly. Planning to ride him in a couple weeks. I have him at my friend's barn now.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Come in and play, Dad.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

How about that mane. Should look nice to the judges should I ever show him.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Me and my boy.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
South Hamilton, MA

Very nice pictures. thanks for posting them. I can see that he has to fill out.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

The vet saw him a few weeks ago. He is healthy so I'm hoping gelding him will make the difference. He gets fed very well.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

lovely pics!

South Hamilton, MA

Young horses must go through quite a few stages to get to look like an adult. Have you measured him yet? My lovely Morgan/Welch cross was 14.2 h. & Jumper's 'Alice' is 14.1.

Medina, OH

Caj-Thanks for the pics of your boy. He sure looks like a sweetheart. Keep us up to date on your progress with him. Stay safe, both of you!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Great pics of Tug!!! He's grown so much since the last batch of pictures.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I was looking for a tape at the barn but couldn't find one.

I wormed Tug today. I turned him out in the ring tonight for a bit of exercise. He is moving well and he was very well behaved on the walk through the barn.

South Hamilton, MA

It seems that he has a nice, even disposition. How is Ben doing. I think the last pictures we saw were when he was a baby.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Ben has finally started to grow a bit again. I am afraid he may never get as big as he would have due to the stomach problems he had. We have him on probiotics and he is doing well. Had a nasty fall out of the trailer and landed with all 4 legs under the trailer. He laid still until we got him out. He is very level headed and trusting. He is limping on his right front but I don't think it is from the fall. It didn't show up until days later. Acts like it's in the heel of his foot. DH picked it out good and can't find anything out of the ordinary. Hope he is not working on an abcess.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Richmond, TX

He still looks very coltish. I bet he's still going to grow quite a bit.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I sure hope he does. Not for me but for DH. He so wants to ride his "boy". Ben's dam is 64". His sire was only about 58" but his grandsire and great grandsire were 63" and 65". Ben was 40" when he was born so we figured he'd be pretty tall. The "string test" had him right around 64". I need to get a measurement on him. He is taller than he looks. He is still a baby in his thinking. Very layed back but his momma is the same way. Hope he stays that way. He has a high front end like his momma. Should be a comfortable ride.

South Hamilton, MA

It's good that he had so much trust in you to get him free. Some horses especially young ones would have thrashed around.

Richmond, TX

An old rule of thumb to predict a foal's height is to average the heights of the sire and the dam and add an inch. Colts gelded early may be taller.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I am so pathetic at math, I had to get out a pen and paper to figure that out. LOL

Having him gelded is in his near future.

Turned Tug into the ring today. He is doing so well. Swelling is nearly gone and he is moving like nothing happened. He was very interested in the goats on the other side of the ring fence. He put his head across and touched noses with them. Wasn't scared, just curious and interested. He led very calmly out of the barn and back in.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images