Do Daffodils for zone 9 need to be refrigerated?

Lake Charles, LA

I bought several varieties of Daffodils including King Alfred, Ice Follies, Semper Avanti, and Exception. All are for zone 9 with the exception of one being for zone 8. All of the packages said to refrigerate for 6 weeks, except the King Alfred which I purchased from a different vendor.
My question is if the Daffs are suited for zone 9 then why would they have to be refrigerated. I have read that once bulbs are cooled using this technique, they may not bloom again. Is this just a marketing tactic to get people to buy more bulbs or do they truly need refrigeration?
I would greatly appreciated any advice on this matter.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I can say I have never refrigerated any of my daffs and they show up each spring just fine. How cold do your winters get? Mine average mid 20's to low 30's

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

angedawn47

I am also in Zone 9 and at one time tried my luck w/ daffodils with no success, so I am very glad that you listed those that will grow here. I assume that jonquils, daffodils and narcissus are in the same family. I did have some narcissus that grew but do not know the specific name of it. If you know of any other bulbs in this family that might grow, I would appreciate the info. Thanks.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

zone 9 too....we do get to low to mid 30's...but usually only 3-5 days ((last year being an exception...11 days straight!!))

If refrigeration is needed...at what temp should it be?

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i recommend not planting very deep. and i wonder if you emptied an ice tray on them every so often if that would be a good thing. somebody told me that improved peony bloom in the south.

and another thing there are southern daffodils made just for us. the ones from texas' old house places.
tazetes daffodils. or tazzete's?

one more thing...haha....when you buy daffs look for the earliest blooming ones. here in texas i find late blooming daffs flower poorly because of our early heat. i moved them this past fall to a shadier morning sun area. and i plant mine just under the soil.

Lake Charles, LA

Thanks!!!

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

mamajack,
Southern daffodils: Interesting! Thanks.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you for the link.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Some more southern daff's from a very reliable seller>

http://www.johnscheepers.com/catview.cgi?_fn=Item&_recordnum=8718&_category=Narcissi:NatMix

Muscari do well in zone 8, not sure about zone 9.....

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Wonderful! Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images