Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

African Violets and Gesneriads: A Pesticide question

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads
bookmark
Forum: African Violets and GesneriadsReplies: 9, Views: 131
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gessieviolet
Saluda, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #8221822

Is there any systemic that can be effectively used with AV as a preventive measure.
It seems everything that was available in the yesteryears when I grew violets has been taken off the market.
mrsbonnie
Ottawa, IL
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2010
10:20 AM

Post #8221894

i use marathon, or bayer tree & shrub, just as good.i use the granule.
bonnie
Hillbilly_Gran
Jasper, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #8221996

Bayer tree and shrub(BATS) liquid is good too-- 1 teas per gallon lasts 6 mo to a year depending on the concentration of imidicloporid. thre are 2 different strengths available. the 1.47 % (not looking at the bottle--but those numbers are close) is good for 6 mos. Fertilome makes a similar product, same ingredients, smaller bottle less $$
gessieviolet
Saluda, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #8244423

On another forum Thad Skaggs (he is an expert) suggested a product called Forbid 4F was a new miticide product he had read about that seemed would be effective.

What did I have to loose? I planned to discard all my plants that were in bad shape anyway.

Actually found a source for a small amount of this product, at a price I was willing to pay, ordered it and sprayed it on all my ailing plants a week ago.

As much as I denied the possibility of mite damage, I can only say it is amazing the difference in these plants in a week's time.

They have begun to show new growth that looks normal.

Can mites do that kind of damage that can be reversed so quickly? I have done nothing different, except mist them once with Forbid 4.

Forbid 4 works by (this is not at all the scientific terminology) the mist being absorbed into the upper surface of the leaf, protecting the plant for all kinds of mites, who die when ingesting the sap in the plant. (It actually works on the same principle that the compound you put on dogs and cats that is absorbed into the blood stream to keep them pest free).

I am anxiously waiting to see what happens as time passes.

This message was edited Dec 4, 2010 9:08 PM
gessieviolet
Saluda, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #8244431

If this works, the way it seems to be working, I will abandon my resolve that I will use no chemicals.

Bonide added to soil at potting and a single misting with Forbid 4 when potting takes place seems a reasonable way to go.

I have lost almost 6 months growing time, being stubborn, refusing to believe symptoms that seemed obvious to others.

I do not think I have contaminated anyone's collection with my "guest" since I have not grown enough so far to share.

I guess we all go through a learning experience; it is painful when, in the past, I have been able to grow AV so successfully.
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

December 5, 2010
8:12 AM

Post #8245091

I don't have any mite symptoms, but I like the idea of preventives, especially on new plants acquired. I googled to see where I could purchase Forbid 4. It's in the $200.00 range! Where have ya'll bought yours?
gessieviolet
Saluda, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2010
10:46 AM

Post #8245327

There is no way I would be able to pay that price! You only use a drop in a small amount of water so a tiny 5ml will make up to 5 gallons of spray. I got mine here and only paid $18.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260670729585&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

This message was edited Dec 5, 2010 1:47 PM
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

December 5, 2010
4:02 PM

Post #8245783

Thanks. I just bought it from your link.
GrowHappy
Nottingham, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2010
4:01 PM

Post #8262278

I have used Forbid with great success so far. I rotated it with Avid so as to decrease the risk of producing resistant mites. I keep checking my streps with my jewelers loupe to make sure that success is continued! I will NOT be a victim again to those evil and insidious little sap suckers! A 30x loupe(at least) and at least 2 different miticides will always be in my arsenal.
I use Marathon in all my plants as a preventative. Soil mealies can be dormant for quite a long time. And since I use cap matting for many of my violets, I don't take any chances. I don't worry about the individually wicked violets for obvious reasons.
I haven't experienced thrips yet, but there is a first time for everything. I fear thrips most of all because of the threat of INSV.
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2010
8:33 AM

Post #8263367

I worry about everything,because I don't use insecticides.I just have to keep a really good eye on things and try to stay on top of any problems.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America