Photo by Melody

Canadian Gardening: What's Happening in your neck of the woods?

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 206, Views: 1,019
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 24, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #8229106

Thought it might be time to move us over into a new room..

Hope you drop in to chat..

We moved from here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1138774/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1138774/

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 24, 2010
3:25 PM

Post #8229155

smart alec!! Warming trend, indeed!! btw - it's now -10!! LOL

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 24, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #8229160

I'm first?? Well, guess that goes along with my lucky streak -

you are not going to BELIEVE what just happened...
y'know I got offered the job yesterday... well, i was going to call our mobile salesman and let him know to put the house back up for sale. I hadn't, and the sign is in our house, cuz without a job, I couldn't afford a mortgage...
Well, doorbell rang, and a young couple were there asking if we were selling...!!!!
I COULDN'T show them the house... since Aug, I have "let it go" and it's in a terrible state! I gave them our salesman's ph# and name, then I called him, and shocked him with both pieces of news!! Our previous contract had expired in Oct anyway, so we'd need to "re-up it"...
O my Goodness!!!! What a couple of days!! Bob said "I don't relish moving in the winter" I told him we'd move if the place sold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And no arguing!!!! LOL

AND - I just found a $20 bill when I was clearing out the recyclable newspapers!!
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2010
9:15 PM

Post #8229588

Susan, what wonderful news - all of it. Things are really rolling for you now, girl!

And Marilynne, good grief! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you actually have a working laundry pair by this weekend. I hope you're sending the president of Sears Canada a bill for your laundromat costs at the very least.

That sweet potato bread sounds really good - I'll have to try it. I've made pumpkin bread often, but not in the bread machine though.

Gotta get to bed now. It's been cold the past couple of days - dips below zero at night, and bed is the only place I'm warm until I adjust to this weather. Crawling out in the mornings is just painful. At least if it's going to be cold, we could have a bit of snow, yeah?

Keep warm, y'all . . .
~m

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 24, 2010
9:22 PM

Post #8229595

~m - I hope you have a restful sleep!
The sweet potato bread was great! It's a nice, heavier bread, and sweet, because of all the brown sugar, etc!

I think I'll buy a lottery ticket LOL I never do, but maybe now's the time?! lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 25, 2010
3:53 AM

Post #8229722

You be careful in the east, see that bad weather is in your area, hate freezing rain, may it miss your community.

Was listening to the news and it was saying that many stores in Toronto will have a Black Thursday today in efforts to attrack the masses that usually head across the border..trying everything to keep the $$ here for our economy. Hope it works...

Cold, calling for snow and rain mix, best I go get ready so I can leave earlier than normal, don't want to be rushing with roads having ice spots..

Susan, they say things come in 3's..

Gab with you all later..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 25, 2010
3:57 AM

Post #8229728

Slug, Slog, grumble, groan !!!
We had about 8-10cm (drifted) heavy/wet snow overnight !! I have made one path across the patio and down the sidewalk .. talk about 'BREATHLESS in Murillo' .. lordie .. will HAVE to fire up the big snowblower once the ?sun? is up. The dogs were less than impressed that their 'play paths' were gone !!

Susan .. I do believe Wed night 649 was worth quite a bit, if it didn't go, I would think you SHOULD buy a ticket for Saturday !!

My 'Thursday agenda' is simple .. SNOW REMOVAL !!!! But .. temps to +4 today .. SNOWMAN weather :-)

Marilyn ..I wrote Dene Rogers CEO of Sears, sent the letter registered, it was rec'd in Toronto last Friday and I have heard not ONE word. I am dealing with SEARS Customer Service as well, a VERY frustrating go with them. I have most certainly demanded reimbursement for my inconvenience and cost of laundromats, THAT whole train of thought is completely avoided in ANY correspondence from customer service.
I'll keep slugging away though ..

Off to feed the furries, then, out to tackle the snow ..

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2010
4:39 AM

Post #8229751

Good morning. thanks, Betty, for the move.

Mayilynne - here's hoping that they get that missing part and your dryer is functional soon.

Have a great day.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 25, 2010
1:24 PM

Post #8230377

Betty ... never did comment on your pic that goes with this thread .. love that Father Christmas, looks so serene .. I always think Christmas should be kind of 'serene' .. mind, it seldom ever is except for a few moments along the way to dec. 25th .. sometimes I just want to sit quietly by the woodstove, Handel's Messiah playing (or something along that line), and just do NOTHING .. stare at the fire .. scratch some furry ears .. that is IT !!!
Almost doing that now, but, the laptop is right here too today .. looking up some 'stuff'.

Every muscle in my body is angry with me, most especially my hands and shoulders .. that snowfall was a dandy .. the FLASH FREEZE warning has been cancelled though .. that's always a bonus ..
Wind is to be picking up overnight ..

Was making supper a bit ago, looked out the kitchen window, and, for the second time in 2 weeks, there stood a Mastiff ... BIG DOG .. on the outside of our dogs enclosure .. LORDIE .. he was/is HUGE .. gotta weigh at least 80 to 100lbs .. dark brown/mottled in colour .. and not afraid when I opened the kitchen window and told him to SCAT over the SHRILL and frantic barking of Lilly and Piper who, I am sure, would have flipped had they SEEN him !!!!
I called the by-law Enforcement guy .. of course, voicemail .. told him about it in a message ..am thinking a small child would be scared half outta their wits were this guy to walk up their driveway.

Been watching a few good movies .. last night it was Kevin Costner in 'Thirteen Days" .. very good .. about JFK and brother Bobby and the handling of the Cuban Missle Crisis in the early 60s .. I was very young, but do remember having to leave the convent (where I went to school) and having to hurry home .. it was to see (if I remember correctly) how long it would take us to get home .. good movie for the History buffs amongst us, as was, 'The Young Victoria' ..

I am off to go outside and clean snow from the satellite dish .. guess it's occluding the signal because of a snow/ice buildup ..

Stay safe all

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 25, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #8230389

hmmmmmm this almost looks like an Ontario thread LOL - Toronto, Victoria Harbour, Thunder Bay, and Ottawa LOL
Marilyn - did they tell you what time your dryer part is coming, tomorrow?
Hope you take it easy - sore muscles tend to "kick" you now & then LOL
I'm definitely going to get a ticket tomorrow!! We also have a "Friday" draw for something...
Betty - I would hope things would come in 3x3 LOL Then maybe a ticket would be a winner?!?!?!
Ann - how's your day going???

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 26, 2010
4:37 AM

Post #8230867

TGIF and good morning ^_^

Susan .. besides their ability to make me feel sub human by delivering faulty/damaged/incomplete appliances, SEARS has another VERY distressing HABIT!!! "We'll be there to do 'whatever' between 8am and 5pm" !!! Well .. thanks a lot .. I'll just shelve my life ONCE AGAIN, and wait with my heart going pit a pat for your esteemed arrival !!!
I have three things I HAVE to attend to today in the city. I do not want to leave Lorna home with both dogs .. so .. the only way I can accomplish the day, is to take the dogs with me and leave Lorna here to await the Princes of Installation.
Sorry if I sound a bit more than SARCASTIC, but I am fed up !!

One VERY good thing .. NO SNOW overnight .. what a relief .. had I have had to start blowing/shoveling snow once again I think it might have been close to impossible.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day, and a safe and happy upcoming weekend !!!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 26, 2010
6:51 AM

Post #8231032

Let's hope today is final time Sears' agents will appear at your door..you've every right to be upset! Somebody is probably missing their doggie, am sure they've put in a call to the Humane Society and searching for him..mighty big doggie...yikes!

We had the FLASH FREEZE warning here this morning, I left the house early and got to work late, roads were extremely icy, took back concessions so I wouldn't have to rush but got to tell you those following me were not impressed, was doing 60 on an 80 so not that bad considering the conditions so I moved over and let them pass..

If you didn't get the snow you were waiting for know that it's heading my way, thank you kindly, lol..warning on the weather network keeps flashing on my computer, nothing like getting your nerves in a tangle..ah well, it was bound to come..like you TGIF..3:00 can't come quick enought..

Be careful out there everyone!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 26, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #8231093

Oh Marilyn - I'm "with you" on the annoyance of the "between 8 & 5"... then they show up at 5:30!! or 6:00... cuz they're running Behind!! Not a thought for the fact that you may "have a LIFE!" outside of their schedule!! Hopefully the manager will put a tack under their seats and make sure you're one of the first service calls...

Betty- I'm glad you left early... I know that my DH is one of those that drives the speed limit when it's miserable weather and he wants the other drivers to "get on with it, already!!"
Mind you, last Dec 4th, when they had travel advisories All Over Alberta, and one of the wickedest storm in my memory, we had to go from Calgary to Edmonton, and he went 40/60 on a 110 km road... but he also had a 1,000 lb steel weight in the bed of his truck - we just Couldn't See... and about 40 vehicles (cars and 18-wheelers) were in the ditch... It's a 4 hr drive, so That's A Lot!
We go back to Edmonton this Dec 11th for his company Christmas Party - head office is in Edmonton, and one of the big bosses has a country club they rent. We don't pay a thing, except for our travel to & from, and they put us up in a lovely hotel, too ^_^
I'll get to meet Annabell (Ann) for the first time!! We'll meet for coffee the day after, at West Edmonton Mall! ^_^

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 26, 2010
10:26 AM

Post #8231326

Betty .. be careful driving home!!
I went to town (Sears is due between 1-3pm) I was shocked with the call but VERY happy I did NOT have to take Lilly and Piper with me ~~
At any rate, we have very high winds, and LOTSA blowing snow, SO, the roads are 'slicker than goose doo doo' in some places LoL I drove 65-70k in an 80 .. but, at least I got home and back with no problems !!!
I remember that trip to Edmonton you took last year Susan .. awful !!!

Gonna park it and make some bags of dog food .. went and picked the veggies up at the supplier today ..

Say .. has anyone heard from ECHOES ? Haven't heard a peep from her in a bit ..

Toodles ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 26, 2010
11:13 AM

Post #8231390

Although my alert comes across my computer screen not much is happening out there, famous last words..know better than to say that, takes but minutes to be completely white..brrr wind is up but I'm not sure "M" from what the weather people say that it's anywhere near what yours is..

Bet you are counting the hours for Sears to arrive..

Please do stay inside everyone who is getting bad weather!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 26, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #8231460

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !! I am doin LAUNDRY !!! The fellas that were here to stack the machines were quite amused with my 'HAPPY DANCE' .. LoL ... what could I say .. after having to wait to do laundry for 6 weeks it is almost making me 'HEADY' to think I can just do it at will !!!
AND .. in a very nice upgrade I must say .. I'll try to take a pic, kinda tuff to do though as the laundry area is small ..
SO .. I am happy, tres heureux, slap monkey kaboodled LoL
I do have to admit to bein kinda intrigued with watching my laundry get washed too LoL

Ciao

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 26, 2010
1:13 PM

Post #8231525

~M~ I just spoke to Echoes... she's doing fine, just hasn't been on DG much lately. She tried to contact you on FB with no luck - do you have something "blocked"?

wooooooohoooooooo Laundry!! never thought I would be so excited about laundry!! LOL

Betty - sometimes those "warnings" pan out, and sometimes they Don't - let's hope this is one of those "Don't' times LOL
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 26, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #8232080

I've been making ice luminaries - had the darn form for a couple of years and never got around to doing it! Only 3 made so far ( takes over night to freeze and now it has warmed up so much it does not even start to freeze) Found some LED fake candles at Cdn Tire today, they even have an on/off switch- so mcuh easier to deal with than tealights!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 27, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #8232375

Very pretty Carol ^_^
I take it the forms are available for sale at perhaps a craft shop? Martha Stewart LOVES Luminaria LoL .. watched her speak about them on some decorating show once, she looked like a small child catching her first glimpse of Santa Claus as she spoke about them and what they meant to her.

Susan .. Brenda found me ^_^

Did 2 loads of laundry last night .. will take some getting used to .. I find the clothes tend to fall out of the front loader onto the floor, so, now I use a basket to empty them into.
Does anyone else have a front loading washer? Find the wash cycle quite a bit longer, but, that seems to be due to the fact that the clothes are spun so many times in order to remove the water .. makes drying time quicker.

Off to the Landfill site today .. always a banner day LoL

Take care/stay safe

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 27, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #8232465

M I got the form at LeeValley. Bundt pans would work too! And I am told you can do something similar with balloons although you could not let them freeze hard as you would have to hollow out a space for the candle.

Enjoy doing laundry! I recall how great it was when I had my own home to have my very own laundry instead of having to go to the apartment basement and hope there were machines free.

I'd like a front load but figure I will hold out until/if my old one dies. I bought my pair 'reconditioned ' at the Sears store when I bought the house in Dec. 1988!
I bought a fridge the same time ( but a new one) and it just died 2 years ago.

Our little sheltie /pom cross from Montana( named Montana!) went to his new home in Edmonton last evening!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 27, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #8233006

You'll miss Montana Carole..I purchased my 2 at LeeValley in Toronto as well, knack to getting them out of the mold! Looks very pretty though.

I shovelled for a little over 1 hr. this morning, started to do pathways and then instead of taking the snowblower out or wait for my plowman I did it myself..quite the workout.

Ann came over about 8:30 and we started doing Christmas arrangements..lordy, I've six more to go but not sure I have enough energy left, perhaps if I get up extra early tomorrow before I go to jewelery making class I could fit a couple in..lol

"M" doing the happy dance for you, finally!!

Tired, bath is waiting, once I'm refreshed will see what I can get into

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

November 27, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #8233664

So glad the laundry is settled. If you wrote the president, it will take some time to filter down through the ranks, then back up. Working for a big outift, I know that things sent to the top go to each level on the way down for a report, then stop at each level on the way back up for comments on the report/solutions proposed. It can take forever, and there may be a good deal of butt-covering, or not, depending on who has to action it - but don't lose hope yet.

Montana is such a cutie, I bet he'll be missed.

Spray your moulds with Pam, that helps. And for the balloon moulds, just leave room in the balloon for you to plonk an appropriately sized and shaped object on the outside of the balloon, where it will then form a nice space for what you need. The thing you use to plonk has to be very heavy though, or it won't sit down in where you need it against the tension of the balloon skin and the weight of the water.

Had our first snow that stayed on the ground here today. Oh well, we've actually had a pretty good run of autumn so can't really complain. I spent a lot of the day trying to get a big nasty raccoon off my front porch. A friend had given me a small 'tailgate' BBQ still in the box and I'd left it on the porch since I'm still trying to get the parging in the basement fixed as some is falling off again and it's just all ugly dust down there with everything all over as the shelves had to be moved. So this raccoon ripped into the box, pulled out the solid packing styroform forms and the BBQ, stuffed in some of the chewed up styrofoam and some paper from somewhere and made himself a nice cozy nest, AND HE WASN'T MOVING! Not for anything. I went out every half hour hand bothered him - poured water, sprayed vinegar water, whacked the box with the broom, stomped around and made a racket and no dice - he wasn't going anywhere. Growled and bit the broom though. So I waited until he left tonight and then went out and threw the box away and cleaned up a bit. Hope he gets the hint!

Just finished watching Songcatcher. If you're a music fanatic, it's a must-see.

Took my first ever Pilates mat class this morning and feel as if I've been run over by a towmotor. Think I'll toddle off to bed now . . .
Keep warm everyone,
~marilyn

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 27, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #8233682

Sounds as though you had an exciting day as well, hard to believe racoons still want to live in the city..lol

They teach pilates here at the rec hall, always say I'm going to join and then don't..

I would say we got about 6" but likely in the morning it will all but be gone, guess I needn't have shovelled but once it's hardpack it's almost impossible to do it.

Late, tried to go to bed, tossed/turned for about 2 hrs. and finally gave up, no sense getting frustrated so I've a movie on, making a few more arrangements, even pulling an "M" and have a couple of floormats in the wash. With any luck I might be able to clean my craft room, it's a battle I'll tell you, clean,mess,clean and mess again!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 27, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #8233725

I do those luminaries each year for a big party I have in early January - my "Epiphany" party. Got my forms at Lee Valley too. I've seen links making them in buckets with a smaller bucket inside the larger one. What I like about these is there is a drainage hole for water that accumulates. Works as long as they aren't put too firmly into the snow. I use votive candles and have had them burn for 7 or 8 hours.

I've also messed around with putting food dye into the water or using coloured candles. They always make a big hit with guests.

Ann

This message was edited Nov 27, 2010 11:31 PM

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 27, 2010
9:31 PM

Post #8233860

Ah I wondered how one would deal with getting the 'hole' for the candle when using a balloon to shape Seems a bit more work. I had no trouble getting them out of the mold, put upside down in the sink left , fill hole with hot water, wait about half hour.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 28, 2010
11:45 AM

Post #8234588

A bit more snow last night. Temps not too bad.

One of our foster moms is an artist ( paints, oils and watercolors) She and 3 others have a show this weekend. 2 of them work in stone and I had seen some of their work so I went to the show yesterday- and am home with something else to hang on my already full walls!

This piece is slate and stone and glass. I certainly don't 'need' it but I fell in love - I have chickadees in my yard all year round, especially in the winter so it seemed appropriate!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 28, 2010
11:53 AM

Post #8234606

Food dye would be an added touch Ann, they do look lovely along the walk or on the staircase..not sure where, think it was in Buffalo my last trip they had acrylic which looked like ice in same form, should have purchased a few, will though try the spray as I can never get them out of the mold.

Love the piece Carole, a treasure for sure..you could always purge yourself of something old to make room for the new piece, a way of justifying the purchase, not that you need one.

Been quite a weekend, couldn't sleep, was up all night finishing the arrangements, off to Barrie this morning, couldn't believe Michael's was open so early, did a few stores then went to my dichronic glass sagging pendant class, made 2 pendants with matching earings..she had to kiln fire the glass pieces to fuse so I'll be excited to see what my design is..sometimes booboo's happen and they don't turn out, oh well, could always do more until they do turn out..bought some extra glass, will design 4 or 5 more then have them fired..

Looked at the kiln, tempted, but $600. + tax, have to do a lot of jewelery but you know me and toys, just maybe Santa will bring it to me..you just never know!!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 28, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #8235084

Very nice piece Carol .. I am IN LOVE with anything dealing with thos little Chickadees .. I can watch them for hours feeding, flitting and flying ..

The Luminaria look so pretty .. but I am at odds as to whether to make some or not .. there MAY be a plan a foot for a qucik trip to Wpg .. if it comes to fruition I will definitely go to Lee Valley.

OMIGIOSH Marilyn .. I sure hopr the Racoon stays away .. they WERE an oddity here bouts, but every so often someone will mention they have had one visit ..
Laughing re the Pilates class .. I took one too .. it was a 6 week class .. besides being WAY to busy to take it, I was about crippled after class 3 !!!! I have NO Contrology !!! LoL

I did L A U N D R Y today ahhahahaha .. stuff I had left til I had a machine in place .. twas wondrous ^_^
Have also had a "BAD PIPER' day !! Lawsie .. he has had us in a tailspin to say the very least .. into virtually EVERYTHING !!! Poor sweet Lilly just watches and blinks her beautiful brown eyes .. she is as horrified as we are I am sure of it.

Off to shower .. then BEDTIME .. very busy week looming ..

Have a great week everyone !!

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 28, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #8235106

Beautiful chickadee pic, Carol!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 28, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #8235137

Hey Marilyn LeeValley does mail order!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 28, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #8235223

Wow miss a day and all kinds of things have happened here.
Weather has picked up here just like Calgary , nice enough I was able to cajole my DH into putting up the Christmas lights. He was saying it was too cold last week and the light fairy got involved and poof the weather changed for us.
Looking forward to Coffee with Susan in a couple of weeks and I know the time will fly by.

Racoons can be very aggressive so be careful!

The wonderful Ice lanterns are beautiful and we have a gentleman who makes them for neighbors. He has a way of using a 5 gallon pail and freezing for so long then pouring the left over water out into the next bucket. The first Lantern has bubbles and as he goes the water gets very clear, no bubbles. Anyway the tiny votives last all night for us. It is so peaceful to come home to the glow of the candle. I'll have to check out the battery ones.
Did anyone out there know that the schools have Improv teams? We, I just found out as my 13 yr old has made the Improv team. We said great but now I'm rethinking as she has lots of attitude and super come backs as it is and now she's going to train on how to do that better!! What was I thinking...
"M" I watched my first load of the new washer too,LOL. Happy to hear that is on the go.
I have seen Brenda on FB too but it seems she is found so that is good.
Bye for now.
Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 29, 2010
6:00 AM

Post #8235620

Have a new way to spell DAMP .. it's 'THUNDER BAY' .. that kind of seeping into you bones damp.
Going to be +4C and NO snow, so, for that we are grateful ..

Off to have lab work done (Lorna) prior to her appt with her hemotologist tomorrow. Have this down to an art now.
Because she has her prosthesis .. she can go into the hospital herself while I wait outside. I have mentioned before that the Handicapped parking is atrocious at the hospital, and, vurtually always no spots available.

Woke with a bit of a start last night .. Piper FOUND another dog looking back at him from the mirror in the bedroom !!
He was growling and whining .. and .. all I could do was laugh !!!!
I guess he got up to turn over and caught a glimpse of himself ..

Best get at it ..

Happy Monday all ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 29, 2010
6:55 AM

Post #8235695

Late yesterday Rose came home from the city, do you know she only has 3 more weeks of staying with me and her placement is over with the Municipality, lordy I'm going to miss her..anyway, she came home, opened the door and a doggy with brillopad hair came running in, thought to myself, this is odd, funny she'd not ask me if she could bring a dog??? nope, she said it followed her in, thought maybe I'd gotten a new one or a friend was visiting and the doggie was waiting outside, have no idea who the dog belonged to but Sailor and the kitties were not impressed..took a bit to shoo outside.

Looking back at the weekend with barely any sleep I sit here, nothing to do, twiddling my fingers..did bring some scratch art in so might work on that...

Ann, what is an Improv Team?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 29, 2010
7:11 AM

Post #8235726

Improv Team - Improvisational talking - say what comes to you, off the top of your head is what it sounds like. No script. So Ann, if she's got "super come backs" then she'll be wonderful! And Attitude!! Sounds like me at that age LOL

~M~ - I'm sure Lorna's bloodwork test is just a regular one? How long will she need to get these?

Ann - I am SO looking forward to finally meeting you ^_^ We never Did say a time though, did we?
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 29, 2010
10:24 AM

Post #8236019

Betty , Susan is correct and they follow a little bit of the format from the show "Whose line is it anyway" that Drew Carey used to do. I am proud and partly scared to say my Daughter did very well! Yikes!
Susan I'm thinking about 11ish so you can recover from your party? Or 10ish sounds good too.
Ann
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2010
10:42 AM

Post #8236054

The food colouring and the bubbles in the luminaria sound wonderful. Maybe I'll get some done for dinner on Boxing Day when the family is coming.

Carol - beautiful piece you got there. Hard to purge to make room for the new, when you loved everything you got before so much too. I can't do it and wow, where to put them?

Betty, lots more raccoons in the city than in the country. They thrive here and will have vicious fights over territory as there are so many. Just think - water, lots and lots of food in the form of garbage cans, chip trucks and stupid neighbours who feed them - and NO predators.
A vet told me that the average country coon lives to be 2, the average city coon lives to be 12 - with a litter every year. Some neighbourhoods have started putting out bait with birth control in it I think. They cause an enormous amount of damage in the city, so maybe insurance companies gave city council a push when they got tired of replacing roofs. We see them walking in packs down the streets here and they're not afraid of anything - and yes, they are vicious.

I'm going to go back to Pilates - try the machine next and then decide on either the machine or mat for regular for a while. I figure if it affected that many places, it must be doing me some good in the spots that I'm not doing myself any good - so I may be moaning every week for a while

Keep warm all - it's COLD here today.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 29, 2010
11:34 AM

Post #8236139

I have seen 'whose line is it anyway' and find it fascinating that schools have such programs..omg, wouldn't I love to be in something like that..my mind is always going in a thousand places as a time..lol

Racooon, 12 years..wow..guess in the country to have to brave the other animals..now a litter a year for 12 years? that would be a lot of racoons..no season on racoons is there, know when I was on the farm there was on wolves..my cousin Doug made mega money hunting them down for bounty, just didn't seem right but guess it was for the best.

Did I mention Kyle went on the weekend and got his permit to have a gun and permit to shoot a gun, sure hoping he just wants 'permits' to fill his wallet, can't see him shooting anything..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 29, 2010
12:13 PM

Post #8236217

[quote="Bettypauze"]Did I mention Kyle went on the weekend and got his permit to have a gun and permit to shoot a gun, sure hoping he just wants 'permits' to fill his wallet, can't see him shooting anything..[/quote]
A GUN? ooooooooh - I hate those things...

Ann - I'll ask Bob when he figures we'll be up and mobile LOL I don't expect it will be late - more likely 10'ish, cuz we don't know NOW what the roads will be like then, and we'll have a 4 hr drive ahead of us. ... I just hope it's not a repeat of last year!! (nope, not gonna borrow trouble!!! lol)
We want to head back to West Edmonton Mall, and go to the Red Piano bar. We really enjoyed it last year ^_^
Might do that for lunch - we'll see.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 29, 2010
12:25 PM

Post #8236235

What fun you'll both have..as you say Susan, don't borrow trouble, will be cold and crisp but no snow, how is that for a weather update for your outing..

Not fond of guns either, but their grandfather/grandmother have 140 acres and grandfather is a hunter..doubtful Greg would allow a gun in his house, if anything it would be kept under lock / key at the farm..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 29, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #8236237

"no snow"... love that, along with "no black ice" would be Perfect!!!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 29, 2010
4:51 PM

Post #8236598

Betty
I agree about the gun thing as shooting a living thing is not up my ally. I am fascinated with target shooting though and my husband introduced me to shooting the cat tails off the bull rushes in their dugout on the farm. I must admit that I was good at exploding those things and I guess that was sending seeds all over the place so it was almost gardening!
Carol I loved the Chickadee's they are such a cheerful symbol of the trees here too.
Susan
Look forward to seeing you and I will DMail you some contact info.
Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 29, 2010
4:56 PM

Post #8236607

Lorna's lab work is an every 2 month thing to ensure all with her blood disorder is in check .. she is on Warfarin so regular checks are a necessity.

IMPROV .. Ooooooooooooooooooo .. I love it, and I have done it as well .. such a high ~~~ Ann .. I hope your daughter thrives on it .. ^_^

Sheesh .. I sure do hope that the racoons STAY away from here !! The last one that was here was scared stiff of us ..

Betty , I am sure the paperwork that Kyle got re the 'gun', is just that. If Gord were to pass on our son would not be able to take possession of his firearms without that paperwork .. it's a real conundrum that !!!

WOW .. Rose is almost DONE !!! Unreal huh ?? Hope the pups a dog that followed her in found home !!

Lotsa stuff happening here .. mostly boring stuff though ..

Take care all

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 30, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #8237376

Now for my morning, remember in July my friend Dannie came to spend a week, was having difficulties at home, loved having her, great company and we did some road travelling, one being Elvis Festival? then a few weeks ago I mentioned she was in Montreal Quebec as her father is very close to the end (cancer), well she returned home last Friday and because of stress and her DH acting up she just can't take it any longer, doesn't want to pack up and go back to Montreal because she'd be too far from the 3 sons. She spent the day at Darlene's yesterday and this morning Darlene called, said she didn't want to get anyone upset or have me say I'd do something that I really don't want to do BUT would I be willing to have Dannie come and stay at the house even though Rose is still there?? Dannie was afraid to ask, told Darlene ABSOLUTELY, an extra bedroom awaits her arrival if she feels she needs to get away for a few days, weeks, month etc and if she decides to stay a bit longer Rose will be leaving on the 17th and she can have that room. Not sure what will happen, doors are never locked, told Darlene to tell Dannie to come and make herself at home. Now she'd be worried about the boys home schooling..big craft room downstairs, she could always go get them in the morning and bring them home in the afternoon, probably about a 15 to 20 minute drive..goes to show you doesn't it, you can have all the $$$, a mansion on the lake and things can still go wrong!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 30, 2010
7:57 AM

Post #8237430

f'sure Betty, f'sure... and I have all kinds of wonderful friends... Rich & Poor ^_^

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 30, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #8237961

Betty .. you SHINE .. and for that i am so happy.
You are such a generous and selfless human being .. you have come into Dannies's life when she most needs a friend who will not judge.
I wish her all the best .. and give you the biggest hug !!!

UGggggggggg .. again ... UGgggggggggggg .. rain/sleet/slush .. just a horrid mix of weather related flabberdoodle ..
Took Lorna in to see her hematologist, parking was so bad I had to drop her and let her go on her own .. came home and wrote a letter to the editor !!! Serious thought has GOT to be put into the handicapped parking situation .. it is ATROCIOUS !!!!!

Am feeling a titch queasy .. but fighting it with all my might .. Lorna has 2 more very important appts tomorrow .. THEN, if I am going to be sick I can be, but, not before !!!!!

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 30, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #8237963

Nope, not gonna be sick even then, Marilyn!!!! Just take some rest and you'll be FINE, k?
^_^

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 30, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #8238043

Well, no Dannie, seems she left this morning and Darlene said no one knows where she has gone..Darlene had left a note on her vehicle this morning asking her to call so she could tell her my door was open but ????

thanks but no praise required, we all have to help one another don't we? Tomorrow is 'pay it forward day' our chance to make a better world..

"M" please please don't send the bad weather my way..was mild today and it's raining hard to if it freezes I'll take out my skates, that's all we'll be able to use..

Happy day today, got my jewelery pieces from Sunday class, love them, will make great gifts so now I have quite a few more to make and then got home and saw that Cathy had dropped in with a parcel for me..joined in the placemat swap and lordy Canadastrid was my swap partner and lordy she made me some mighty fine placemats...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 30, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #8238048

Oh/Oh "M" got to call Sears...knew that big rag quilt I did for Greg should not have gone in my washer, think I blew a belt..drats and more drats..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 2, 2010
4:06 AM

Post #8240422

Morning everyone,

Coffee is on, bet you are all busy elves now that December is here..

Gab when I get to work!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 2, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #8240700

Good Morning, everyone!!!!
(((((((((((((Everyone)))))))))))))))

heading off to Bible Study - chat atcha L8tr!!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 2, 2010
9:31 AM

Post #8240774

Betty .. all I can say is 'Good Luck' re Sears .. altho .. I had NO quibble with the servicemen who came.
However, my LONG and WINDING road to monetary compensation from Sears is just beginning .. if you can believe the GALL .. after, I am going to hazard a guess here, lets say 20 phonecalls and numerous emails during this almost 2 month fiasco .. now that I HAVE the washer and dryer .. when I call they THINK I have moved as I have a' NEW address ' and they can't divulge ANY info to me because I may NOT be Marilynne !!
I have to tell you .. under this cloak of 'meek and mild' there is hidden the armour of THE WASHER>DRYER WARRIOR!
Truth be told I 'lost it' with the 'new address' comment .. I slammed .. well BEEPED the phone off .. literally had steam coming from my ears, and nose, .. and I called SEARS ACCOUNTING .. I was SICKLY nice .. of course, before they could do business with me .. they need phone # and address .. and .. OF COURSE .. it was PERFECTO !!!! Dare I say when SEARS wants their money they have the correct address, however, with the tables turned .. not the same rings true ~~~
BING!! A light went on .. YEARS ago .. there was an obscure address that would pop up .. first time was with my nursing registration ..apparently, the wee village I live in (near) has a General Delivery address .. and, it will appear without provocation. SO .. I phoned and got it from our postmaster, called Sears Customer Service .. and when I gave them my REAL address and the person went NO .. I gave the Gen Del one and there was a pause and a sigh and I said ..'REMOVE THAT ADDRESS'. So dear friends, it goes along, bumpity, bump .. now it's a wait for the store in Thunder bay to send the invoice to the head office .. no matter how sarcastic I get with regards to REAL time phonecalls to said store by Customer Service and a request by them for a fax from here ...
I am APPALLED !!! To the point of feeling ill when I make a call to Sears to see where I stand .. however .. I will NOT back down !!!!

GOOD NEWS side ^_^
Saw Lorna's pain physician yesterday .. told him the doc that took her on in June had up and resigned .. and he looked at her and said .. I WILL TAKE YOU as a patient .. we were/are ecstatic !!! I know the doc as he works with Hospice , as well we have worked together in years past .. he is a great physician :-)

Windy with blowing snow here today .. colder than usual too ..

Off to make some bread and some sugar cookie dough ..

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 2, 2010
9:39 AM

Post #8240789

"M" thought about you last night, went to laundromat why because I stupidly put a large rag quilt I was making for Greg in mind and guess I might have blownthe belt, Sears come Tuesday between 8am-8pm, big waiting window, omg was $6.00 for big washer and the dryer just ate up my pocket change, finishing 2 others but even though I'm complaining sure beats having to call repair ..

Snow is falling ever so softly, looked like blizzard this morning so I'm a happy camper, good for driving home..

Stained glass store was laughing, hardly seen my this past year and over this past week I've been in 3 times, jewelery I made was fun, had a few pendants to do for my girls who come painting so needed supplies, hoping tonight I can be creative

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 2, 2010
9:46 AM

Post #8240795

"M" we cross posted..
Paid major $$$ for extended warrantee and when I called in I got a 10 minute sermon on how if it's due to carelessness, etc.etc. it would not be covered...excuse me, I live alone, was a load a day on small loads what could I due for it not to be covered...

My extended warrantee ends Jan.13,2010 so I decide to call back and say want my dryer serviced as well, no can do, so had to go through another conversation with them, she said I'd have to book another appt. on another day, why when a serviceman will already be at my house sooo had to cancel that one and rebook to include the servicing..wasn't impressed that the lady I spoke with could hardly speak english and didn't really understand...

Oh well..won't renew

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 2, 2010
10:57 AM

Post #8240871

Betty .. I KNOW from the heart, what you are going through, and it is just NOT right.
I am almost thinking of writing that fellow named 'Gold Hawk' to see if he can give me some insight as to how I can get any action ..

Exasperating my dear ..

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2010
11:28 AM

Post #8240904

Marilyne - THE WASHER>DRYER WARRIOR! You go girl!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 2, 2010
11:49 AM

Post #8240931

LOL Ann, should get her to add me to her Sears quest!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 2, 2010
2:21 PM

Post #8241134

After what I have ENDURED .. not a problem !!!

As an aside here .. I got my Sears bill today .. WELL .. you talk about difficult to decipher !!! Shameful !!!

Am attaching my new pic Lol ^_^

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 2, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #8241146

M maybe you should call the newspaper- nothing like a bit of publicity to get some of these companies moving!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 2, 2010
2:41 PM

Post #8241162

ROFLMFAO about your pic, my dear Miss ~M~!!!!
hoooooo boy, they better watch out when you go to Miss Betty's neck of the woods!!! LOL

Betty - is that Jan 13, 2011, or Jan 13, 2010??

Hafta tell ya a little story about extended warranties... normally I don't get them, Anymore... but once-upon-a-time I did... In the 80's we got a new stereo system from The Brick - cabinet, 2 tape decks, record player, and receiver... Well, we got an extended warranty, and one of the tape decks started "eating" the tape..We got a service guy to come by several times (about 3) and he "fixed" it each time, then we were told we had to bring it in, as they wouldn't pay for anymore service calls (all free, of course). After 3 times bringing it in, I refused to, anymore. So they sent out a service guy again. About the 10th time, total, (not a word of exaggeration) the service guy finally said "if you have any further trouble, you'll need an exorcist for it!, because we can't do anything more!!"
I know they were fixing parts, and replacing parts... we told him "if it needs anymore fixing, we don't want it anymore! We still have it, but don't use the tape to tape feature anymore, cuz now we have CD's LOL I like this system, because it has a Record Player and I still have a lot of vinyl LOL

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 2, 2010
4:02 PM

Post #8241281

I showed everyone here the pic I had sent .. LOTS of comments .. hahahahahaha .. but .. I feel so much LIKE Xena the Warrior.

Carol, writing a letter to/calling our local paper is quite the deal .. I cannot mention a name .. people would have to guess, altho I feel the whole district must know by now.

VINYL .. Lordie .. I have it as well .. and have seen MODERN 'record players' and considered purchasing one as they can play and record the vinyl to a CD or a Stick .. May still think on it .. I am sure DONOVAN is missing me LoL ~~~

Corrie is on ^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 2, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #8241300

I got a kit to transfer my VHS to DVD, and another to transfer my Vinyl to CD, but haven't figured out how to use EITHER of those kits... guess I'll have to figure it out at my summer vacation in July/August LOL
I'm not sure I have all the parts required... hmmm sorta like my "new to me" digital camcorder... dunno if I have all the parts, and don't have a book to go with it... I bought a couple of the mini DVs... but don't know how to transfer them to my system so I can make DVDs...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 3, 2010
7:17 AM

Post #8242041

Don't you all think that when you purchase everything about the same time that everything goes down at same time..home computer, yuk, keeps dropping the internet, called Rogers I don't know h ow many times only to be told it's my computer..lordy it's not OLD but maybe by computer standards it is..a Dell with lots of memory and the only thing I use it for it to get on the internet, anyway I made the choice this morning that I'd bring it in to a company who would clean it completely and re-install, not sure I shouldn't have just gone out and bought a new one but, want a kiln to fire jewelery and can only have one TODAY, so fingers crossed that it's fixable and cheap to do so..

"M" love the photo, think they depend that people get tired of fighting a cause and drop it..don't you do that!!! know you won't, not dressed like that.

Susan, what a great idea, most likely you just need time to sit and read instructions again/again and again. I'm a visual person, show me and I'm fine, read instructions, no go.

30 here this morning, has stopped snowing but they do say possibility of blizzard later tonight..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 3, 2010
7:34 AM

Post #8242061

I may not have all the "bits" to do the transfers... VHS to DVD, and Vinyl to CD... I don't know "physically" what I need! siiiiiiiiiiigh... and no time to play with it now.

Today I go to the Police Station to get my Criminal Check started for my new job. Taking the bus - had to get change for it, cuz I usually take my car, but there's No Way I park downtown - extremely expensive and Very difficult to find...

Hard to believe but Monday I start my new job!! Finally!! seems like forever since I applied, back in September!!!!!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 3, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #8242067

Betty - hope your computer is "fixable" real cheap, and it's an easy, lasting, fix!! Sometimes (?!) the tech support on the other end of the phone simply don't know what's wrong and they give "pat" answers... In spite of what I tell everyone (because I used to BE one... lol) tech support gurus are not gods and goddesses!! (don't go telling anyone I Said that!!!)
A common saying used to be that people (read - tech support) have 3 regular passwords - God; Love... and I forget the third LOL Guess that's for the men & women techies LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 3, 2010
9:59 AM

Post #8242283

Susan she did call, adding more memory for me so hopefully now that everything is cleaned and checked over, more memory, I'll be able to gab/gab/gab.

So disappointed, called to tell Gord at the stained glass shop that I'd be in at 3 to pick up the kiln and all was ok..just called me, went to box it up and it's gone, guess Angie sold it yesterday so now have to wait until Tuesday night as he has to go to city to pick up another..here I was all anxious to make jewelery this weekend..oh well, guess I'll catch up on other things..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 3, 2010
10:04 AM

Post #8242299

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Betty - what did Angie go and do a thing like that for????!!!!
Had you already paid for it?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 3, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #8242380

No, Darlene called in and gave her credit card # this morning to Gord, as both of us will highly do but a few pieces of jewelery we thought we'd half the kiln..can stay at my house so I benefit more than anyone else, so she called me and told me that the kiln/shelving/dichronic glass was ready for pick up after she spoke to Gord, was only when Gord was putting the order together did he realize it was gone..oh well, only 3 or 4 more days, can make up all the jewelery that I want to make and just fire them when I pick it up Wedn. night..no big deal!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 3, 2010
12:29 PM

Post #8242515

VICTORY is, at times, BITTERSWEET ^_^

SEARS did compensate me !!! I rec'd an email today in which they offered me $150. for my inconvenience, AND, an apology !!!!
I accepted the compensation as felt it was fair .. I was really hoping for $200., but, I will take the credit and be satisfied. Lord knows, I could still be fighting for the extra $50. this time next year !!

Betty (and everyone) your 'rule of thumb about appliances etc all going at the same time .. well .. this morning I took a container of juice from the top shelf of the fridge, way in the back .. went to pour a glass .. ice shards !!! Am going to haul the monolith out tomorrow and see if it's something I can deal with .. something about a pan underneath, but.. the fridge is 20yrs old .. a Whirlpool side by side (I do not like it and have told it so) .. never has been enough ROOM on the FRIDGE side.
So .. who knows .. new fridge in the offing ?

Hope the puter comes back working slick Betty ..

GAWD .. breadmaker is beeping, oven is buzzing and the dryer is chirping .. I best get a move on !!!

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 3, 2010
4:41 PM

Post #8242849

yaaaaaaaaaay for the compensation, Miss ~M~!!!!!

Yup, time to buy a new fridge... siiiiiiiiiigh Well, you'll get one you like then!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 3, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #8242975

Susan .. the one I LIKE is NEVER gonna cross THIS threshold LoL
I want the 'FRENCH DOOR' model .. however (always THAT 'however) .. those models have the freezers in the bottom .. have 2 buds (both retired long term nurses with NURSES backs) who bought these fridges .. they complain bitterly about the stooping to find stuff .. kinda BURST my bubble .. if, in fact, I DO need a new fridge, I will be doing lotsa research ..

Betty, I sure do hope you get your kiln !!!

Off to bed

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 3, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #8243004

oh, Betty'll get her kiln, never fear - she's a determined cuss, doncha know?!?!

hmmmmm Marilyn - the reason the freezer's in the bottom is because it's not used as much. If you're one to use it more, then get the one with the freezer in the top - as easy as that LOL
Most people don't use the freezer as much...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 4, 2010
3:00 AM

Post #8243398

Morning, computer now hooked up and working fine, seems I'm typing quicker than it can though and there is a 1" gap on side of the internet page here but all is well.

No kiln to play with this weekend but he guarantee's one will be waiting for me on Tuesday, must have patience...

Talking of patience, I don't usually get frazzled but last night I was ready to throw out the computer, the telephone and anything else that stood in my way!! big time!!

Lordy, why can't they make these computers wireless..monitor cords,fax cord router cord, telephone cord, my sewing machine scanner cord, wireless cord...etc/etc/

Started to connect and though I was a good girl in doing the numbering process before I disconnected, guess I didn't , then by trying to move this cord to this part, and that part to this part no TELEPHONE, played for over an hour..

I never use my cel phone, for emergencies only and I purchase but $10. a month just to have it, thought I'd call Greg and have him drop by to fix my problems, telephone wouldn't work, forgot to plug it in..went over to the variety store to use their phone, Greg answers and I tell him he'd best get here before everything's on the lawn, oooops, he's at a company Christmas party no can come..lol

Now I'm ragging, played again for some time, hear dial tone on telephone, now that's after asking good Lord to lead me through the process, should have done that first before calling Greg? lol, so now I have a phone, called Rogers Internet provider, you just got to love the 45 minute wait while a recording tells you how they value you as a customer, no please! A lovely young woman came on, told her I know nothing about computers, that I am frustrated and did she have patience of a saint..said she did, joked with me here and there, relaxed me and between the two of us I'm back in business.

Isn't life grand!!!

Bitter cold outside, not much to do in way of cleaning, maybe a lick and a split on the dusting so I think I might stay in my jammies and work on the 2 rag quilts I need, squares are all ragged so it's just a matter of following block layout and if I keep at it both should be done by tomorrow night..

Susan, you start work on Monday? get your print out from the Police station?

"M" maybe Sears knew you needed a new refrigerator that's why they sent you the piece of cheese of $150. - now tell us, after all you've experienced will you order the refrigerator from Sears???

Well, best I get a move on, my early morning pace sets the tone for the day..could easily get lazy so gab with y ou when next I have a coffee break

If it's snowing in your neck of the woods, please take care..

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 4, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #8243608

Betty for starters at least get a cordless keyboard and cordless mouse!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 4, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #8243804

I really do like my laptop .. I seldom use the desktop, and, I just now finished 'building' a NEW desktop computer online via the Dell site as I am thinking the desktop computer may soon do a 'SAYONARA' one of these days with NO warning at all .. sooooooooooooo .. I started, after I APPROACHED $1100.00 and was not finished, I stopped and decided I'll take the Dell Desktop we already have. Have it 're furbished' .. I am pretty certain all it needs is a good cleaning and some memory. Like yours Betty .. it's basically used to Google stuff send email and share pics.

Kind of a lazy day .. I still have 'some kind' of intestinal bug visiting my physiologic system .. don't want to venture too far in case I start feeling woozie. Am going to a 'Parade of Lights' tonight .. basically, buses, dump trucks, 18 wheelers, etc .. get decked out with lights and go along a route, 'collectors' go along the route collecting non perishable food items or monetary donations .. it's always a beautiful display ..

I best DO something .. maybe a few Xmas cards !!

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 4, 2010
12:13 PM

Post #8243976

brrrr, got to tell you temperature sure is dropping, either that or my furnace is on the fritz...just turned it up so cross your fingers, after fixing the computer, having to fix washer on Tuesday, buying the kiln my pockets are light so fixing furnace would not be good..lol

Sounds like a fun thing to do "M", parade of lights..can you take photo's..

Carole, I've been pulling at the corded mouse and thinking the same, will put that on my Christmas list..would be easier wouldn't it..enjoy mine at work, here I feel like I'm always struggling with it.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 4, 2010
3:52 PM

Post #8244237

Betty - just taking a moment to post this...
I start my job on Monday, but they don't expect the print out from the Police for 4-6 weeks... lol
I stood in line at the Station for 15 min, and there were a lot of people requiring these Checks, for one reason or another.
I'll get it in the mail, then will take it in to work.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 4, 2010
4:08 PM

Post #8244261

That's great, was hoping you wouldn't run into a snag without it. One more fun day then you'll be a working girl again Susan..

Busy day, finished 1 rag quilt AND had visitors off/on all day so tired and calling it a night!!

"M" brother Mike dropped in with his pouches..the doggies enjoyed looking out a the squirrels scrambling for food!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 4, 2010
7:16 PM

Post #8244537

Have to share this ^_^

http://www.openmyeyeslord.net/godblesscanadabyleegreenwood.htm

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 4, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #8244540

OMG Betty .. those are WESTIES .. and so nicely groomed !!!!!!
Smilin a mile ^_^

Parade was great .. only lasted 25 minutes though .. and .. the pics are a BLURrrrrrr of coloured lights ..

Beautiful weather !!!

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 4, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #8244541

"fun day"... Betty - lately, with all the house/church work I'm doing, It's not been quite... fun...

It's time to go back to work (paid stuff, that is) and relax... lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 4, 2010
10:39 PM

Post #8244768

Morning, evening, not sure which is which anymore, couldn't sleep so thought I'd get up and see what mischief I can get into!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 5, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #8245017

Boy everyone is getting busy now.
M fridges are fun shopping for and I have a bottom freezer fridge. I love it. I am not in it too much so the bending thing is not a big deal but I wish I had the drawer freezer in stead of a door one. (mine is 14 yrs old already) I also have an upright freezer downstairs so I use that more. Just one note , do you prefer to occasionally go to a bottom freezer or occasionally go to the fruits and veggie drawers on the bottom?
As I am always in the F and V drawers I choose to have them at my hips , no more digging for them or the milk jugs. Also take care with measuring your space. New fridges come in many sizes for depth now. If you are tucking a fridge into a hole that was built years ago the size will be important. I needed a shallow depth but also not wider than 33 inches and not higher than 70 inches. So that limit's my choices. All fridge sizes are on line and most manufacturers have an extra button to click to see inside too. Then you can just shop for price with someone like Leon's or the Brick and sometimes Home depot have the best price. I have found that Sears seems to be a bit higher than these guys.
Just about all the fridges these days are Energy Star ones.

Have fun shopping!
Ann

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

December 5, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #8245130

I also have a bottom freezer fridge. Mine is a GE and it seems to be working fine. I like the fact that the crispers are BIG. I had an Amana when we did the kitchen in 1991 and I couldn't even get a decent size head of lettuce in them.

Am off shortly for the final portion of a Messiah marathon weekend. I did "Come Sing Messiah" on Friday evening at one of Ottawa's largest churches. It was packed with over 700 singers and the balcony was reserved for about 200-250 audience. I always play in the orchestra. It's a great "love-in". Everyone sings at the top of their lungs and applauds everyone else at the end.

Today is a fund-raising Messiah up the Valley in Arnprior in a large, old Catholic church which needs a new roof. We were up there all day yesterday in rehearsals. Need to be on the road in less than an hour.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 5, 2010
8:56 AM

Post #8245169

Drive safely Ann, not sure what your weather is like, storming here!
You must feel in heaven and with the angel choir when you participate in such events..what sounds those who attend much hear. Do they tape, will some be on the news???

I've regular refrigerator but am thinking of getting an appt. size freezer, never seems even though it's just me in the house that there is enough room for freezing.

Back to playing inside now that I've been outside all morning putting plastic on the back screened in deck..thought that I might not have to but with fine snow and heavy winds think I'd best be safe than sorry..all done except for the door and I'm thinking on how to do it as I don't want holes in my new door..might have to though!!!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2010
4:37 AM

Post #8246393

Good morning,

We had snow on the way home yesterday. Good thing I had sturdy black running shoes on. I had originally planned to wear dress shoes and just take some boots because it was absolutely clear on the way up there. But I decided quickly that the big toe on which I dropped a weight a few weeks ago was still too tender for dress shoes even though it no longer looks bruised in any way. Had I worn dress shoes, I would have had to send my passenger out to the car to get my boots and we weren't in the church parking lot, but a couple short blocks farther away.

We drove slightly more slowly than usual and still made it home in an hour. Messiah is finished for this year and I have a profound respect for the work. I've done it at least once a year for the past 19 years, but it's still full of traps with over 50 sections in different keys and speeds and each conductor does it a bit differently.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 6, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #8246588

Ann, much the same when I go to different events run by Municipalities, know how much effort/work went into making it a pleasant experience. Glad it wasn't cancelled due to weather conditions..

Have a blizzard going on here, never helps when wind is up either..left 1 hr. early than normal and got in just a few minutes before 9a.m. start time..if it doesn't improve, hoping boss will send us home..suppose to be worse tomorrow..yikes, it's SEARS day for me, wonder if they will cancel, I'm like "M" was, sure could use my washer, lost without it.

On Saturday I finished another rag quilt and down to laundromat I went, no hesitation, think I did learn a lesson!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2010
8:23 AM

Post #8246777

Betty - when we drove TO Arnprior, the weather was sunny and clear. The amount of snow while we were there was a bit of a surprise. Have been to aquafit. Need to get some laundry going.

Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 6, 2010
3:47 PM

Post #8247462

WHOA ... spoke with Lorna's parents in King City, and then her brother Grant in Beeton .. seems there is LOTSA snow to contend with 'down east' .. 67cm+
We are putting up with COLD .. -27C at the moment and that will drop overnight ..

Spent the majority of my day in bed .. still feeling abit cruddy in the tummy .. no energy .. won't call it the flu ..

Susan .. how'd your first day at work go ? Always kind of a confusing day .. you get home, sit down, and start to REPLAY and just shake your head .. at least it always seemed like that for me .. each unit change in a hospital brings about a new BURGEONING binder full of 'policies and procedures' ..

Off to watch a movie .. take care out there

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 6, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #8247491

I had a Terrific first day at work. Because I'd worked at a "branch" of the company (worked at Calgary Lab Services admin, and now I work at their Alberta Health Services HR dept, who manages CLS), I found it relatively easy to "slip into" this role. Same job, with different bosses, at a different location, really...
For the first hour they took me around the floor, to meet everyone. Then I got a "Welcome" binder, and skimmed through it... then I got on the phone to confirm accesses and got most of them resolved. It was funny when one of the tech support guys said "are you the same Susan MacKenzie..." yes, I am, so we chatted for a minute about that LOL
As for the rest, my boss Jerri was really pleased with the initiatives I took today, and the fact that I am already trying to get her office set up so she can turn her computer with it's back to the door and her facing the door (right now she has her back to the door and anyone can read from her computer...)
They provided me with a cell phone, told me I may be traveling with them and other stuff... kewl - how about Maui?!?!? lol Traveling isn't a definite, however. They'll provide me with a laptop as well.
All in all, a very productive first day.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 7, 2010
2:47 AM

Post #8248044

"M" calling for much the same today, was a rough ride home last night!!

Transferred the telephones to here just incase the weather took another turn for the worse, snowing but doesn't look too bad, it's the wind that creates most of the problem, so glad my plowman came..

SEARS, trusted old SEARS called to give me a closer time for them to come and do the repair to washer, between 10 and 2 so if weather is bad the painting girls that I had hoped would be here to let them in will not come, Cathy called and said she come spend the time so all is well (I think)!

Susan, I'm so happy for you, they'll soon know they have a 'gem'

"M" hope you are feeling better today!

Best go listen to Breakfast Television to see what kind of ride in to work I'll have!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 7, 2010
5:03 AM

Post #8248138

Good morning, all!! I'm off to another day at work :
I hope everyone's day is truly wonderful & blessed!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 7, 2010
5:06 AM

Post #8248141

Would imagine you've left Betty. Sure hope the ploughs, snaders/salters are out in force (or have been).

We have January weather here .. I thnk it's about -30C with the wind right now , had the poor wee doggies out at 6am and they just turned and looked at me as if to say, 'do we HAVE to' .. they were both little troopers though.

Plan is to get the shopping completed for Lorna's folks and get the parcel in the mail !! Had hoped to have it done a week ago, but, this bug (or whatever it is) that I have has kind of stopped up progress .. mind you, I do feel better today .. fingers crossed.

Susan wonderful news about day ONE .. can only hope it continues, but, am sure it will.

Off to make some toast

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 7, 2010
5:07 AM

Post #8248143

Good morning, all!! I'm off to another day at work
I hope everyone's day is truly wonderful & blessed!!

Taking the stairs at work - I'm on 2nd floor of a 2-storey building - no elevators, so good for me!! Lots of exercise LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 7, 2010
6:47 AM

Post #8248261

Blizzard like conditions here, omg, some local areas got between 60-80 centimeters..now that means a whole lot of shovelling..Don't you be going out yet "M" or you'll be right back in bed.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 7, 2010
11:33 AM

Post #8248694

Back to roost and beat myself about the head for NOT making a LIST !! What was I thinking ???
So .. after I get supper together, I am going to write a LIST as I am going to be going to town tomorrow either alone, or, Gordon may come with.
Lorna is going to stay and get 'THE BOX' ready for UPSing .. I would use Canada Post .. but .. there have been some rather unfortunate situations here and there over the last couple of Xmases , lost parcels, stolen gift cards .. UPS is a bit more pricey, but, they ARE reliable.

I feel about 78.6% better ^_^
Just seem to have NO energy, met a friend today who immediately said, Ohmigosh are you ever pale~~ chances are it might be my hemoglobin .. sometimes it takes a header for no reason at all .. have a docs appt tomorrow, so likely will be making some poor lab tech lose their mind trying to get blood from me .. few have succeeded on the first, second or third try .. the bruises are usually a lovely shade of blue purple though :-)

Sure hope you SUTHRIN LADIES have had enough SNOW .. we remain in the deep freeze .. don't have to shovel cold.

Had to send a sympathy card to a neice in law in Ottawa, her Dad passed away . Always think of Ann when I send stuff to Ottawa :-)

OK .. off to make my casserole, and then .. THE LIST !!!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 7, 2010
12:07 PM

Post #8248729

Snowing heavily "M", I'll gladly take your cold temperatures.
Sears came, guess he took a bag of rag quilt lint out from under the machine, transmission went, boy was I lucky that he didn't charge me for the visit and the transmission..told the girls at the house to tell me to be more careful with what I'm washing..yikes, think over past 2 years I've made and washed about 12 rag quilts so there just had to be one in fabric under the washer..wish I would have thought to ask, after washing is there a place you can clean like a dryer?

I'll be good, laundromat for me from now on.

Glad you are feeling better "M" just don't go out before you are feeling 100%..

Sometimes I think what we ship cost more than the items being sent out..someone was saying they do ordering on-line and have them ship, less costly.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 7, 2010
7:36 PM

Post #8249265

~M~ do you have GreyHound Bus Lines, or another one? I hear they're much cheaper than Cda Post, and reliable, too!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2010
8:48 PM

Post #8249358

I second the bus parcel service.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 8, 2010
3:47 AM

Post #8249644

Hope you are all ok, warm and cozy but more importantly safe..

Blizzards going on again this morning, fine in my neck of the woods but the Barrie area is being hit hard and calling for lots more to fall and winds picking up, you all know what that means for driving..

Keep hoping my telephone will ring before I leave to say 'stay home' but it's doubtful. Would leave 1/2 hr. earlier to give me extra time but with my luck he'd call during that last half hour sooo will stay home to the last minute and if I'm late, I'm late!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 8, 2010
3:53 AM

Post #8249649

TBay USED to have GreyHound Service. At present we are in the midst of an 'on again/off again' renewing of their contract with the city .. I just can't figure it out.
TBay has in excess of 170,000 people .. add to that the surrounding district and we rise WAY up. In the last several years we have lost VIA Rail, to be a passenger on that train, which was a focal point in the city, you have to travel 200 miles NORTH of TBay to an EXTRA small community called Armstrong !!!! Sometimes governments, Provincial or otherwise, do the strangest things ..
SO .. unless Greyhound renews its contract (or whatever) I don't have that option, but, I will look into it today :-)

Betty .. fabric UNDER the washer .. holy cow .. how the heck does that happen ?? Re the dryer .. there is a 'kit' available at hardware stores.
http://www.flylady.net/pages/FlyShop_dryer.asp
Trust FlyLady to have something on her website LoL .. looks kinda busy to me though.

Up early cuz I am gettin'er done today .. am laughing at that remark .. I must be crazy if I think I'll EVER be DONE for Xmas before the 23rd .. a fact of life for me .. I have oft times mentioned that, PROCRASTINATION, is my middle name ..

Hope everyone has a super Wednesday ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 8, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #8250048

Got to work this morning and could drive into parking lot, infact still about 2 or 3 ft. of snow out there, waiting for mall staff to come and clean..was beautiful coming in, picture perfect, what you'd see on Christmas cards, even a rainbow, felt like a queen because my entire ride in was between the arches.

Paul came in today, a lot of us were asking when we were off..both his girls had save their vacation time to be home at Christmas so they are off on the 17th..Toronto and other offices most are working until Christmas Eve day and won't come back until Jan.3,2010

Paul asked what I'd like to do seeing I had 5 days left of vacation so we negotiated, my last day will also be December 17th, imagine a week this Friday, will transfer calls to my house, IF I want to go out at any time I can transfer them to him, did tell him I would not work Christmas Eve day though...looking forward to 2 weeks off.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 8, 2010
2:11 PM

Post #8250488

Hi folks

Just a quick note here.
I have been in hospital since Sat night, went to emerg- long story short hav some bowel constrictions - just waiting to know if anything malignant or not. MIght not know until Friday, being kept in hospital in the mean time, as soon as results known will have surgery- just a case of how much or how little they have to remove. Probably no computer access untill I get home again, maybe a week or so!

Let you know as soon as I am home again!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2010
2:18 PM

Post #8250497

What a bummer. Keeping my fingers crossed that any surgical intervention will be minimal. You'll be in my Ts and Ps for sure.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 8, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #8250714

Jeeze Carol .. as Ann says .. you are in my thoughts and prayers as well .. huge hug coming from TBay ..

My day was so so .. no snow !!

GREAT news re your time off Betty :-)

~M~
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 8, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #8250900

Yikes
Carol
We are thinking of you!
Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 8, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #8251005

Carol - bowel constriction? OMG!! I'll be thinking of you all the time.
Here's hoping that it's not that serious, and you can get home asap!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 9, 2010
5:34 AM

Post #8251385

Perhaps it's an 'obstruction' .. symantics .. either way not something to take lightly. Know for a fact Carol will likely be 'NPO' = Nothing by mouth = NO EATING until the diagnosis is made and the plan is set.

My visit to the doc was YUK .. I have been diagnosed with 'psoriatic ('sorry attic') arthritis .. right now it is pitching a fit with my right hip, once it has done it's damage there it will go on to another joint .. lovely .. I was offered narcotics, but, I am stoic, will hang on without them for as long as I possibly can. Life is just so darned interesting ain't it ?

Off for bloodwork this morning, BOTH Lorna and myself ... and .. it has just started to snow .. NO major accumulation expected .. MAYBE 5cm ... a pittance compared to Lorna's brother and parents who got 3 FEET down Beeton/King City way !!

TTFN

~M~
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

December 9, 2010
8:11 AM

Post #8251666

I too have
C...cis.I can't remember how to spell it.Mine is a result of my hypothyroidism.This happened to me four years ago and was really quite nasty. It hasn't progressed as far this time.I'll see my Dr tomorrow.
I have been a lurker on this forum for some time.My life is'nt very exciting now .I spend a lot of time on the computer.
Among a lot of the ailments that go with being 81 ,the lack of balance keeps me housebound. JOY

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 9, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #8251746

Joy, just love it when you drop by..if you are a lurker then you know quite about us chatty folk..lol difficult I'm sure having poor balance, don't want to get out and have a fall that's for sure..

Joy and "M" will have to go and look up the ailment..painful?

Carol, you still in the hospital, anxious to here the prognosis! Not a good time to be ill..drats and more drats

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 10, 2010
4:07 AM

Post #8252851

Hmmmm .. painful ? Well .. it's a typical arthritic type of pain .. but .. along with it goes some joint damage. As for the 'psoriasis' .. well .. that's a skin condition that flares up at the same time. Thankfully I have only one very small scaly patch behind my right knee. When the condition is in FULL flare up mode .. yeah .. it's painful .. but, antiinflammatories help .. ie Advil/Aleve/Motrin used along with tylenol. I have been offered narcotics, but, I won't take them .. I certainly do not need to be any SPACIER than I am without them .. LoL

We did get a nice snowfall (do those 2 words look odd beside one another) ? Everything looks CLEAN now .. perhaps 5cm.

Joy .. good to hear from you .. hope your docs appt goes well. Been lots of rain in NB ?

Would imagine Carol has limited computer access unless she has a laptop? She had to have written her email above some how. I know when Lorna was in Health Sciences in Winnipeg, I asked if there was computer access to the public anywhere in the hospital and, they looked at me as if I was a '4 eyed monster' LoL
Thankfully Echoes and Linda were able to keep folks informed due to the wonders of text messaging. Gosh .. seems so long ago .. and it has just been over a year .. hmmmmmm .. in the scheme of things, I guess that is LONG AGO ^_^

Off to do a bit of shoveling ..

TGIF .. have a splendiferous weekend all !!

~M~

This message was edited Dec 10, 2010 7:08 AM

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 11, 2010
8:21 AM

Post #8254543

Saturday .. and I am ECSTATIC because I am doing LAUNDRY ^_^
The house kind of looks like a non fatal tornado passed through it, so that's being addressed as well .. AND .. the 'harbinger' (at least for me) of REAL winter arrives today. I am changing the bed and when the clean sheets are insitu, they will be covered by .. drum rollllllllllllll ... the ELECTRIC BLANKET !!!
Have tried to avoid the inevitable, but, it isn't working anymore.

Weather here is wintry, no snow, just damp and cool .. birds are feeding like mad, have decided that even though I was told long ago that THAT was a sign of a storm, it does not often ring true.

Have been thinking about Carol and wishing I could send her a card .. hospitals are such crummy places to be at this time of year.

Time to put in another load .. YAHOO !!!!

~M~
Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2010
1:43 PM

Post #8254916

I spent the Christmas of 2007 in hospital and had my aeortic heart valve replacement operation on New year's Eve - nice start to the year ! It was very quiet in the heart unit - I guess they were only doing emergencies -but everyone on the ward did their best in make it happy and a mystery santa even delivered a stocking full of goodies ! I was very disappointed when they admitted me but I knew that it was the best place for me to be and took a lot of stress off my family.
But on saying that, Carol, I certainly hope that you don't end up there over the holidays ! By the way the reason I look so "healthy" is because we had just came back from Mexico on the 23rd and I was admitted that night !
Heather

This message was edited Dec 12, 2010 10:19 PM

Thumbnail by Heatherbelle

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 11, 2010
4:05 PM

Post #8255135

Yep I too, am thinking of Carol. I hope we hear from her soon which would mean that she is out.
I am having Bfast with Susan tomorrow as she is up for her hubby's Christmas party so I will ask if she knows anything.
I have a sister who volunteers at the children's hospital in Calgary but don't have an in at any others..

Carol! Carol! Can you hear us?? We are thinking of you.
(the other) Ann
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

December 11, 2010
9:36 PM

Post #8255496

I really should stop in here more often. I have missed so much of what is happening in the older threads.

Hoping we hear from Carol soon, with news of good results.

Mar, we bought a used washer and dryer of the same type you did. Think they are Samsung. I was very suspicious of the washer working right because it uses so little water. But, think I'm going to like it, and yes it does take a longer time for a load. Bought them on kijiji back in the summer but just started using them last week as my kitchen and entry renovations have progressed. I can't believe all the crap you went through with Sears.

I will only tell you the good news. I have a new grandson, 4 months old now. Haven't seen him yet, but we got a wonderful surprise when my son said they are coming for Christmas. We haven't had Christmas with them for three or four years. My granddaughter will be so much fun.

My husband has built new cabinets for my kitchen and I am so pleased with them. He did a fine job. Just finished installing them and still has quite a bit of finishing up to do for trim, floor, etc. But we are functional for Christmas so all is good.

Heather, thanks for posting that.

Susan, hope you have a great trip, and the roads are fine. Hear there is some yucky stuff happening in SK.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 12, 2010
4:46 AM

Post #8255664

WOW ... nice to see posts from Heather and Brenda ^_^

Echoes, it sure seems you have been busy with kitchen stuff!! Was there 3 years ago, hate the confusion and kaffufle, but, survived to tell the tale and enjoy the kitchen !!
As for my washer and dryer ... gawd ... after all the intense stress and prolonged wait, I am thrilled with the set. Like you, I was almost in SHOCK with the incredibly small amount of water required, and detergent, but, the laundered items are clean, and, our well is HAPPY ^_^
How wonderful that your Xmas will be filled with the coos of a baby and the laughter of a wee one .. enjoy !!!

I think I posted yesterday with regards to putting the electric blanket on the bed. WELL .. I did so .. and I plugged it in, and the control kept flashing 'F2' .. after lots of head scratching etc .. Gord discovered that PIPER had chewed through the cord!!! So .. going to have to see if it can be fixed, I doubt that Sunbeam sells the cords seperately ...

Carol is most certainly on my mind, have a bud in Calgary, was going to ask her to call the hospitals to find out which one she is in .. but .. then I thought better of it. I don't want to invade 'her space' .. I think she knows we are all thinking about her and wishing her hearts full of best wishes.

Just had the dogs out .. so cold here the trees are snapping and cracking .. I do believe it is -30C .. won't have to worry about snow that's for sure.

Should make bread today, or bake, or not LoL

Have a fine day everyone ~~

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 12, 2010
9:41 AM

Post #8256058

Hello there, won't stay long, want to wave to all of you and yes nice to see Heather and Brenda post..wonder how the get together with Susan and Annabelle is going???

You know me, always rushing around, had company drop in, she's very unsteady on her feet, back steps (8 in total) were icy so of course while she got ready I decided to HURRY and get the shovel and get rid of the ice, first step went head over teakettle..yikes, how I didn't break my hip is beyond me, today I'm moving slowly, hip is paining along with back and neck so back to the couch I go..

Every once in awhile I get tired of sitting and go do something, someone says you can accomplish much by just doing tid-bits..let's see if its true..

Waiting to hear news of Carole as well?? Sending prayers Carole!

Snowing heavily here, I'm just like the school kids praying , "please Lord let me have a snowday tomorrow"

Well off to get some meds for pain..gab later

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 12, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #8256759

YIKES Betty ... I am crossing my fingers and hoping that you feel better
Heard for the third time in less than a month, of 2 relatives who have broken their hips !! Odd part is .. the docs told them that there is a HIGH incidence of hips being broken WITHOUT the person knowing it .. then suddenly, poof, the break faults to a point where it can't weight bear anymore. I still am not sure I believe that, but, it was relayed by a doc who has been an orthopod (bone doc) for years.
If your hip is really bothering you, perhaps an XRay might be in order ?

It is C O L D here .. have a busy day planned tomorrow, so, am hitting the pit !!

~M~
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 12, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #8256982

Hi ladies...
As a frequent lurker, I just thought I'd chime in and let you know that I have contacted one of Carol's other gardening buddies by email to see if I can get any information about how she's doing. I've been thinking of her too since I saw her post that she was in the hospital. I'll see what I can find out.

Joanne
(Jo North)

MG99
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2010
10:34 PM

Post #8257093

Hearing that Carol's in hospital seems to bring out all the lurkers. It would be good to hear some news about her.
~M~ I kept up with the w&d saga, maybe you can laugh about it down the road.Good to hear Lorna is progressing.
Betty, I get tired just reading what you do. You're amazing.
Susan, great news about the job.
I hope the rest of you are ready for Christmas and hope that all aches and pains are relieved.
We're above the local flooding here from the last rains, with more rain forecast. We're OK here.

Linda

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 13, 2010
2:17 AM

Post #8257167

Morning everyone, storm watch in our region..hope it gets just a tad worse between 7 and 8:30a.m. (aren't I terrible) but sure could use another day of rest, well perhaps not total rest, things to do!!!

Linda and Joanne, nice to see you drop in, know we would all appreciate hearing how Carole is doing so if any are able to be in contact please let us know..

Well seems blizzard conditions, freezing rain, high winds are the call of the day for most of us..please/please stay in/keep warm and be safe if you do have to go out..

Sure a winterwonderland out there
Off for coffee..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2010
10:07 AM

Post #8257826

OMG there is sooo much rain here. What other places are getting in snow we are getting in rain. Just came home for lunch and the road to the house is flooded in a couple of places then I had to find the driveway and hope I was driving on it all the way to the house. I made it but I am not going back to work this afternoon. I am afraid I won't get home tonight if I do. The rain is still pouring down and supposed to keep up all night and tomorrow too.
My driveway is in here somewhere.

Thumbnail by growum

Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 13, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #8257927

Guys, I've tracked Carol down...still in the hospital, on call for surgery today...

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 13, 2010
11:38 AM

Post #8257956

Jo
Thanks for the update on Carol and I hope the surgery is as minimal as possible, will send some power her way.

Had a great Bfast with Susan we visited for two hours! Hope her drive home was safe.
She is pumped about her new job and things are looking up so that's good stuff.

DH was in Chiago airport yesterday and was 2 hrs late getting in. Airports are boring!!

I almost have my baking done just have to do the unbaked Naniamo(sp?) bars.

Betty... my mom fell last year and broke two back ribs which was very nasty for about 2 months. Take care out there!
Bye for now
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 13, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #8258123

Thanks for the update on Carole..let's hope the surgery is not major and she gets to be home for the holidays..oh my, sure hope someone is as kind hearted as she and is looking after the doggies..

No broken bones I'm sure, just very colorful and sore to sit for any length of time. Starting to snow out again, lordy it's cold out there!

Speeking of broken bones, my friend Aline went for hip replacement, was to come home Saturday..Saturday morning nurses took her to the washroom, guess she felt they might have forgotten her, tried to get back to her bed, fell, broken ribs and not sure if she didn't do damage to her hip..lordy we older women need to learn what the meaning of 'patience' and 'slow down' is

Glad you got to visit with Susan, can imagine she's be on a big time 'high'..lol..they had major storm last year, hope no problems getting back this year!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2010
1:58 PM

Post #8258236

Thanks for the update on Carol. Also sending prayers for surgery as minimally invasive as possible.

I'm back from the periodontist minus a molar in my mouth. Brought the tooth home though. It's got a whopping gold crown which is likely worth a few bucks at today's gold prices. After probing the roots of the tooth, she recommended extraction as the best option. I DO have issues with my dentist who kept sending me out after routine checks telling me how good my gums looked.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 13, 2010
2:49 PM

Post #8258311

Glad to hear something about Carol, and am surely hoping her surgical intervention is minimal.

Betty, gosh, Aline must be SO disappointed !!! Broken ribs are just THE worst .. I have fingers crossed she did not compromise her hip surgery.

Ann (EDM) :-) SO nice you and Susan met .. it is really SUCH a thrill to actually MEET someone from Daves !! When I met Echoes last year it was a highlight I will not forget .. she (and her DH) are GEMS .. between her and Linda (MG99) they ferried me through a VERy stressful time.
Kinda nice to know we are all looking out for one anothers best interests ^_^

Sad news today .. a friends wife passed away .. I knew she was unwell, but, had NO idea she was terminal. Kinda sets ya back a piece.

No snow or RAIN here .. gawd Laurie ... what a mess in NB !!!! BE CAREFUL !!!

Off to do supper (thank you M&Ms)

~M~
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2010
12:57 PM

Post #8260045

We had 166 mm of rain in less than 24 hours - lots of flooding. My driveway was OK this morning but by the time I came home for lunch the road I live on is closed and had to drive through a lot of water to get home. Stayed where I am for the afternoon and doesn't really look good for getting out tomorrow either. The water is rising fast. The driveway was OK at lunchtime but 2 hours later it is under water again.
This is the road I live on and what I drove through to get home today.

Thumbnail by growum

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2010
1:00 PM

Post #8260050

The little house across the road from me - they have been evacuated - the water is now coming up through their kitchen floor.

Thumbnail by growum

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2010
1:03 PM

Post #8260053

Last one - my driveway now

Thumbnail by growum

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 14, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #8260196

HOLY COW Laurie !!!! Guess you won't be goin too far !!
Hope your neighbours across the road fare OK .. but .. it looks rather tragic !!

Been reading about the people TRAPPED on the 401 in the snowstorm .. made the CNN news .. that is just plain scary !!!

Made sugar cookies today and butter tarts .. WHY oh WHY do I do all this BAKING !!! Going to give the groomer some tomorrow when we take Lilly in .. make her happy then book Piper for January for his first grooming .. YIKES ..

Off to put out dinner

~M~
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

December 14, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #8260659

That water looks bad .I hope your home is high enough to escape flooding.We are fortunate to live on high enough ground.This will be awful if the weather turns cold.It's bad enough in the spring but the ice would be awful.Lets hope the water recedes before we get the cold front they are talking about.You are brave to live alone out there Joy.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 14, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #8260681

Hello all - sorry hadn't posted before now. Ann - was GREAT to see you again (been since summer/08 at Carol's Round Up when we met for the first time... yes, I'm "pumped" about my job... did it really Show That Much? LOL

We had a good ride home - got back about 3:30, and then got to working on my DM's quilt for Christmas. Guess I just needed to have some "down time". It was the anniversary of my Dad's passing on the 12th, so have been laying low.

Thanks for posting about Carol, Jo_North... have you heard anything since? I called just now, and got her voice mail. She sounds soooo weary. Wonder when she recorded it...

Ann - how was your DH's plane trip from Chicago? How long did he have to wait at the airport to get back home?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 15, 2010
12:05 PM

Post #8261912

OMG Laurie, sure hope it has stopped raining..can't talk long, few things to finish up then hoping boss will say take off..we wen't out for Christmas luncheon, highway at a dead stop, can't see 1" in front of you..
all this and it's still fall...lordy we've been hit hard!!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 15, 2010
12:23 PM

Post #8261947

Wow .. Betty and snow, Laurie and rain, and Thunder Bay is having a BANNER Day ^_^
The temps have warmed up .. even had both dogs out for a walk !!

Tried to get my shopping done .. YEAH RIGHT .. give it another couple of days !!!!

Thoughts for Carol .. as always

~M~
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2010
1:03 PM

Post #8262014

The rain has stopped then we got about 6 inches of snow over night. The water is still rising, most of St George is closed because of flooding. The worst anyone has every seen around here. I haven't been able to get out since yesterday and doesn't look like I will get out anytime soon. Thankful though that I am at home, still have power, lots of food to eat, and my house is high and dry. Lots of people have 3 - 4 feet of water in their house. All sorts of emergency centres set up. Supposed to be -11 tonight, don't know what we will do if this freezes before it runs off. They are expecting the river to peak tonight sometime then the water will start to recede. BTW I am about 2 miles from the river. I am on a little bit of an incline so the water is not affecting me too much yet except for being stranded.

Thumbnail by growum

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #8262020

This is the RCMP that came up to make sure everyone is OK.

Thumbnail by growum

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2010
1:11 PM

Post #8262032

One more - zoomed in on the end of my driveway - the 2 humps of snow are the mailboxes so at least 3 or 4 feet of water down there.

Thumbnail by growum

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2010
1:13 PM

Post #8262037

Hoping everything is OK with you Joy - I hear that it is pretty bad in Fredericton as well.
My thoughts and prayers going out to Carol too.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 15, 2010
1:56 PM

Post #8262072

Oh my!!! That looks like big trouble with all that water.
I hope things clear up quickly for you folks.

I am keeping Carol in my thoughts and actualy wished I lived in Calgary so I could help in some way!

My DH spent an extra few hours on a plane and it took forever for customs and I was glad to have him home.

We are in the middle of a winter storm right now , snow seems to be finer and not heavy but the wind is nasty and is packing drifts. Roads are a bit crazy if people would just slow down the drive would be slow but safe.
Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 15, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #8262177

Laurie .. those pics (especially the mailboxes) are unreal !!!! I do so hope you will be fine and dandy, as you said .. you are pretty much safe and sound and do not want for anything .. so great that you have power !!!!
With our weather moderating so quickly I am wondering what we might be in store for.

Off to fold a load of laundry .. GAWD how I LOVE the sound of that LoL

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 15, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #8262558

Ann - you Still haven't heard anything from Carol??????
Jo-North... what do you hear?

We don't have the snow you have in the eastern part of the continent... sorry to hear you're getting so much!!
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #8262618

What is happening with this weather?
Down East getting rain and flooding like they were in the tropics or Bangladesh or somewhere and southern Ontario getting snow like we've never seen before.
Lucan, just a tad north of London, got 6 feet (5'10" officially) in one 24 hr period. Never even HEARD of anything like that in all my life here. 300 cars and trucks stranded on 402, and wind and whiteouts so bad that even the military and rescue crews couldn't get in for hours.

Will pray for Carol - and also for those contemplating buying new appliances in the near future

I have fridge with the freezer on the bottom, and I love it too. I'm only in it every day or two, but in the crispers and veg bin several times a day, so works out for me, and it seems that somehow there is more room in both the bins and the freezer this way.

And boy, do you all ever do some nice craft things. I'm so envious of the talent, as I have none, and no ability either it seems. I hope you will keep posting pics of the lovely things you make.

Keep warm and dry, everyone.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 16, 2010
5:15 AM

Post #8263014

So many 'odd' weather events occuring across our world .. makes the Global Warming theory that much more believable.

Crone .. I am also a NON crafter .. but .. my Mom always used to say .. 'There are those who make them, and them who buy'em' .. I'd be the latter LoL
My life seems kinda filled with furries right now.

My brother's birthday today .. he's 75 .. looks 55 .. father of 6, Grandpa of 14 .. a wonderful brother and friend ^_^

SHOPPING on my agenda today .. again .. hanging my head LOW !!! BUT .. it's for groceries .. got ANOTHER recipe I want to try, for Lemon Bars .. delish .. very 'tart' ..

Off to feed the sleepy furries

~M~
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2010
5:42 AM

Post #8263066

The water is down about 6 inches this morning. Hurray! Will still be awhile before I can get out but hoping it will be this weekend sometime.
Wish I was a crafter - I would have lots to do if I was. Getting a little boring to be just stuck here. I have no eggs so can't even bake. Lots of books to read though and my house has never been so clean.
Thankful I am only stranded, so many people have lost house and home and don't know how you ever recover from that. Especially at this time of the year. It was -13 last night so has started to freeze. Don't know how you would ever dry a house out and with it being Christmas lots have lost all their presents and won't be spending Christmas at home. Sad!
Here is todays picture, about another 3 feet to go and I will see my driveway again!

Thumbnail by growum

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 16, 2010
9:37 AM

Post #8263491

That is hard to believe, they were saying N.B. had higher temps this morning than top end of Florida, imagine that..as for me, been travelling all week through blizzards..what normally takes me 45 minutes took 2 hrs. last night..coming in this morning wasn't at all fun, Barrie/Wasaga Beach area being hit hard with snow and squalls..right now the sky is heavy but clear other than an odd snowflake

Tomorrow is my last day of work for 2 weeks, next week I'll work from home and the week after I'll just enjoy.

Had quite a couple of weeks, washing machine went, furnace broke, my body is just starting to recover and less colorful..paid the snowplowman, bought 1/2 the jewelery kiln, lol..need snowtires, where does it end..lol...by time Christmas comes there will not be many pennies left in my pocket..hope Santa leaves me some Christmas morning..

Still waiting to hear about Carole as well..glad you are all safe..

Won't be going to Florida, mom's been to upset, her doggie has cancer and she's not feeling the best so staying home and enjoying ones home isn't at all bad!
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #8263852

The weather is just crazy isn't it?? Warm, rain and flooding here, major snowstorms in Ontario, hurricane force winds in Nova Scotia.
The water is finally starting to recede here - I may be able to get out by the weekend.
The water was up to the white mark on the driveway this morning.

Thumbnail by growum

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2010
1:50 PM

Post #8263857

You can see the water marks on the poles and in the bushes.

Thumbnail by growum

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2010
1:56 PM

Post #8263862

This is the house across the road from me. They have lost everything. The house is one story and the water was over the stove in the kitchen. The furniture is floating. They managed to get their brand new fridge and TV out before it hit too bad but that is all. There are lots in the same position. So very thankful my house in on high enough ground that it wasn't affected.

Thumbnail by growum

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 16, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #8263904

Happy to hear the water is going down!

Called Carol to day and talked to her answering machine. Left a big message to let her know we are thinking of her. I will call again in a few days.

Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 16, 2010

Post #8264030

Ann (Edm) thanks so much for conveying our thoughts and best wishes to Carol ^_^

Laurie .. the pics are absolutely heart wrenching .. the folks across the way from you must be so devastated. Well, at least they are alive.

A damp day here .. not too cold .. got a bit more done .. still have bits and pieces to pick up .. but that'll be at my leisure sorta .. hahahha .. 'leisure' .. probably a poor choice of words !!

Made the 'Lemon Bars' ... wooooooooooooo .. lemonie for sure !!!!!

Have a nice evening everyone

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #8264161

growum - so glad the water is finally receding and that you, at least are on high ground. I feel for those like your neighbour who lost much.

Lemon bars - yummmm!

Has anyone heard from Carol today? Looking for an update when available.

I'm in from handbells. Biggest workout since I saw the periodontist on Monday and yes, lost a tooth. After cutting the gum and probing she said we could watch it for awhile or she could remove it. Her recommendation - remove it. She felt I'd be back in a few months to have it removed anyway. So we did while I was already frozen and it saved the dental insurance a bunch of $$$ too as she charged only for the extraction.

It's been healing well. Haven't taken any pain killers since Tuesday. No bleeding; even did aquafit today. I brought the tooth home - saving the gold from the crown on it.

The handbells are playing in the concert of the Ottawa Regional Youth Choir tomorrow evening and I have a funeral to attend in the afternoon. Will be a long day. I'm about to retire to my knitting in front of the TV.
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 16, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #8264193

Hi all,
I talked with Carol this evening; she knew you'd all be wondering how she was doing, so she asked me to post for her. She's had some pretty major abdominal surgery, but they've got her up and walking around which is a good. She thinks she'll still be in the hospital for awhile yet recovering. I asked her if she missed her computer and she said You Bet!! There's a couple of computers on another floor and I suspect the minute she's able to she'll be down there logging in...

Sounds like she's had lots of visitors and has lots of reading material and even some lovely flowers to enjoy. I told her to call me anytime and let us know how things are going.

Cheers,
Joanne

echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

December 16, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #8264237

Thanks for letting us know how Carol is doing, I'm so glad her surgery is all over and now she just has to get well and get home.

Laurie, I am glad you are not flooding, but just the same, being there with it all around for your friends and neighbours is tough. We are not stranger to flooding in my area of Manitoba.

My son and his family are out visiting for a few hours, so just popped in for a quick hello. Sorry if I missed anything, but I have been reading the thread and trying to keep up.
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2010
8:41 PM

Post #8264377

After seeing Laurie's pictures, have been trying to get in touch with a friend in St Martins, but no response yet. Hope he's not flooded out.
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2010
2:44 AM

Post #8264492

As far as I know St Martins is OK. The rain was more to the western part of NB. St Stephen is the border town and it was hit bad, I am about 45 km east of St Stephen and got it, Fredericton (north of me) got a lot rain and flooding but St Martins is the other way and past Saint John, Saint John is about an hour drive east for me and they are OK - actually got snow yesterday so I imagine St Martins is OK.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 17, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #8264812

Good morning, had stopped snowing but it has started up again, nothing major..smilling here as it's my last day for 2 weeks, going to enjoy that!

Thank you for the update on Carole, can any one tell me which hospital she would be in or telephone #??? Drats, sounds as though she'll be in for Christmas...her pouches will be missing her for sure..

Ouch Ann, wish more dentists would let clients know sometimes that if they didn't get the tooth out it would mean constant care and eventually lead to having it pulled.. You will indeed have a busy day..bet there is high demand for the 'bell' performances at this time of year..condolences on the passing of your friend.

That last photo of the flooding is picture perfect, going to put it on my screen..now if it froze what an old fashion skating rink it would be!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 17, 2010
11:18 AM

Post #8265101

Feel as thoug I am living inside os one of those glass Xmas SnowGlobes ... the snow is falling everso gently here .. very pretty and quite soothing ... mind .. my brother has said we may get a dump of snow by the end of it ..

Gord and I braved going into the city today .. Lorna has had it with trying to navigate the malls .. she is more than impressed with the courtesy offered by people though. Opening doors for her, helping her reach items etc.
I am hoping TODAY marked the end of my shopping .. won't hold my breath though ..

The hospital here offers a service on its webpage for INPATIENTS .. friends and relatives are able to send an email to the person in hospital .. just need the room # and floor. Am wondering if Carol is in a hospital that has that capability?
Once the email is sent, it is rec'd by the hospital and delivered to the patient by volunteers.
Joanne .. do you know if that is an option for Carol ?

Betty, I sure hope you have a wonderful vacation .. and that the snow STOPS !!!! Lorna's folks are quite put out with the prediction of snow EVERY DAY until the 25th !!!

Ann .. I am SO dentaphobic since my little panic attack in April. The hygienist, not a problem, but the thought of dental work send me over the moon. !!

Am wondering how Jen is doing with baby Alison .. will be a happy Xmas for them, babies are always so sweet at Xmas ^_^

Off to read the paper

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 17, 2010

Post #8265479

Grow_Jo - thanks so much for updating us on Carol - Hope she's back home and healthy for Christmas...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 17, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #8265510

Snowing heavily here "M", tis pretty though!! Could it be because I don't have to drive in it that I seem to be enjoying looking out. Rose's dad just picked her up, she's only just left and I feel lonely already..can't believe 4 months went by already.

Crowds will be out in large numbers, think they say tomorrow is the most shopped day of the Christmas season, have about 4 things to pick up, know what store, know what aisle so might get out before I have to be at hairdresser for my perm in the morning and hopefully won't go out till I'm out of groceries..

"M" that would be an excellent way of relatives communicating with their loved ones and friends, hmmm wonder if our hospitals do the same.

Jenn will be thrilled preparing for their first Christmas with baby Alison. Let's hope she posts one of the scrapbook pages she does of Alison's visit with santa.

Susan, your new job must be keeping you hop'ing as we've not seen you on DG of late or is it the rushing to get Christmas gifts finished?
Always nice getting hand made things but lordy what a tremendous amount of work.

Want to wash down everything in the room Rose was using as well as all the bedding but think it will be a bath, early night and I can be up bright and early and get it all cleaned before my next boarder comes to visit..

Did I tell you that a friend and her hubby aren't doing very well and that she has left for several weeks, been at her parents in Montreal but now wants to be back in this area??? they have several homes, don't want to give notice to any of the tenants till spring, she asked if she could come stay with me, said yes, hope am not taking on more than I can handle..estimated time of arrival..Sat. or Sun.

Hope you are all enjoying a quiet Friday evening..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 17, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #8265534

I will be enjoying a quiet Friday... finished my mom's quilt Wed night, now have 2 pillow cases to make and will send it out before Sunday!

Been very busy at work, and it's great ^_^
I did some grocery shopping for the"Celebration" at work today, and was pleasantly exhausted. My bosses (Exec Director and Director) were very happy with the way I decorated the room for it.

I have a real load of work to do at work, too... projects, getting stuff together for restructuring of some offices, etc etc... getting quotes for work to be done, questions to be asked of the Interior Decorator, and the Property Manager. Busy, busy, busy... oh yeah, and doing the regular work of an Executive Assistant... phewwwwwwwww!! No wonder I'm brain-tired!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 18, 2010
3:05 AM

Post #8266006

But it's a wonderful tired Susan..the job has to be the best Christmas gift you could receive this year!

Woke up this morning full intentions after bringing in all the greenery arrangements from outside that I made a few weeks ago to now add flowers..omg brought them in last night and the oasis is still frozen so guess I have to wait until tonight or tomorrow, drats, had hoped after getting my perm this morning that I could do the florals and deliver them but that's a no go.

Change in plans before 6 in the morning leads to an exciting day..lol..so I've just washed all the bedding in Rose's room just incase Dannie does come to spend time, have a project of another neck warmer on the knitting machine, tonight I can sit and put the deer hyde on them and goodness knows what else I can get into

Bet all yours days are filled as well, some now playing 'beat the Christmas clock' right?

Whatever it is, if snowing stay in/stay safe..if not, enjoy all that this season has to offer...

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
4:46 AM

Post #8266070

The water has now receded a bit and we were able to get out yesterday. I wouldn't drive through it myself but the neighbours were going so I jumped in with them. Quite an adventure.

Thumbnail by growum

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
4:50 AM

Post #8266075

This is my driveway from the other end and what we came through to get to the main road.

Thumbnail by growum

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
5:01 AM

Post #8266083

The town brought the plow truck up the driveway and really made a huge difference

Thumbnail by growum

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 18, 2010
7:21 AM

Post #8266289

YIKES Laurie .. that is FER SURE one hecuva trip out AND in !! Kudos to the township for allowing the plough in.

Hope you get the florals done this weekend Betty, at least if you do get company everything will be ready ..

I'm still formualting a 'plan' of attack for today .. am sorta disappointed that the alcove my present fridge is in is only 65" high :-(
I looked at a GE French Door/bottom freezer fridge yesterday at HOME DEPOT .. it was on sale, but, it is 69" high, and, the salesman said most are that tall !! SO .. I either have to hire a carpenter to take out the cupboards above the present fridge .. OR .. settle for something smaller :-( .. OR ... and this is a BIG OR .. relocate the fridge to the other side of the kitchen .. that in and of itself would be a MAJOR undertaking ..

Thinking of Carol .. as always .. wishing we could send a card somewhere from the Canadian Group .. but, I think Joanne will probably extend our best wishes.

Off to formualte and cogitate LoL ^_^

~M~
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 18, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #8266430

Guys,
I was thinking...why don't you start a new thread entitled something like "Best Wishes to Carol" or something like that...Everybody can post a greeting to her by a certain date (say next Tuesday or Wednesday?) and then I'll print off a copy and put it in a card for her.

What do you think?

Joanne

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 18, 2010
9:38 AM

Post #8266440

What a great idea, Joanne!
Glad you thought of it!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 18, 2010
12:11 PM

Post #8266610

WAHOO great idea ... if no one has started it .. I guess I will as I have a few moments ..

Will call it "Best Wishes to Carol" :-)

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 18, 2010
12:14 PM

Post #8266614

You can find "BEST WISHES TO CAROL" here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1145568/

~M~
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 18, 2010
3:06 PM

Post #8266832

Thanks Grow-Jo!!

Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 18, 2010
10:55 PM

Post #8267310

That's Fabulous of you to think of it, and do it, Joanne. I hope she gets the card soon...
Hopefully she's home for Christmas and to be with her shelties... they must miss her terribly!
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #8267553

Got out yesterday afternoon. Not a drop of water in the driveway or the main road. Amazing! it is gone as fast as it went. However more rain forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday. My brother is flying in from Ontario for Christmas - he is coming on Thursday - hoping I don't have to bring him in by boat.
Going grocery shopping this afternoon - what a treat to be able to go where I want, when I want. Really makes you stop and count your blessings. My biggest treat was a big glass of milk with supper after being without for a few days.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 19, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #8267684

How wonderful to get Carole a card before Christmas so she knows she's missed and loved! Thank you kindly Joanne...

Brr cold out, few flurries, nice to know I can stay comfy inside and only go out if I want to..had a flat yesterday, hard to get appt. to fix it soooo have my trusted air pump I plug in to lighter, if I need the car I'll blow the tire up until I go in come morning.

Got all the arrangments done, ready to deliver but now ran out of steam...getting too comfy sitting near the fire..

Maybe Growum your family will bring the snow along with them.

Any chance that you will have a 'white Christmas'??

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 19, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #8267685

Just finished 4 snowmobile neck warmers, wind/cold cannot penetrate the hyde, nor can a needle..lol..where oh where can I find my 'glover' needles???? sore fingers if I don't..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 19, 2010
11:38 AM

Post #8267885

I've reached an impass :-(
It seems the dimly flickering light of my Xmas Spirit .. has waned .. no particualr reason, but today I am totally BLAH!!!
Made a loaf of bread .. it didn't rise .. looks kinda funky sitting there all golden and FLAT .. have been told it tastes just fine though.
Was going to make another batch of sugar cookie dough .. but .. have decided against it .. I think I'll just sit and be still.

Love the arrangements Betty, and the floral arrangements .. magnifique ^_^

Looking ahead to the bustle of next week is likely what has set me back a bit, one wonders where the WIND will come from !!

Laurie, nice to hear you are a free range chicken again LoL .. enjoy your brothers visit ..

Hmmm .. I think I'm going to take the dogs for a walk .. it is AWESOME here ... -3C !!!

~M~
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2010
3:56 PM

Post #8268195

Here is a link to a video my brother made from the flood pics I was sending him. He did a good job

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5d1dGuZ-A0

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 20, 2010
2:04 AM

Post #8268598

Morning all, got the muffins on, coffee is ready, come sit awhile..

Feels wonderful to not have to worry about driving in to work today even though it's snowing, if it weren't for the fact that I've about 12 ladies coming here today to celebrate Christmas I'd stay in my jammies, laughing here, they are all great friends so no doubt they'd smile and say 'glad you are comfortable' but won't, will go get dressed!

Was at a neighbors get-together last night, all had booklets of Christmas Carols, we sang, ate and enjoyed each others company.

Cliff not only is a great keyboard/guitar player but would make the greatest Santa!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 20, 2010
2:05 AM

Post #8268599

Even did a daughter/father yodel'ing song which was enjoyed by all

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 20, 2010
2:06 AM

Post #8268601

Christmas clock is counting down now, only days before we celebrate..best all get our act together, which reminds me got to do the veggies for today..

And your plans are?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 20, 2010
2:08 AM

Post #8268602

Went to watch the video, omg it's truly unbelievable. What beautiful shots though to frame, can't you just see them on your wall...know I can.
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2010
2:43 AM

Post #8268608

Back to work for me today after a week of unexpected holiday.
I can't believe we have a rainfall warning in effect for tonight and tomorrow - another 45mm hopefully the river is down enough and will be able to handle this. Not looking like it will be a white Christmas in my neck of the woods.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 20, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #8268832

GREAT music along with the video Laurie .. appropriate that's for sure !!

Lordie Betty, does Cliff stand in for Santa for stores etc ? He most assuredly is a ringer for him! Sounds as though the gathering was fun .. maybe I need to go to something Xmasy to get into the mood.

My 95yr old Auntie AGAIN made the front page os the paper today here's the link

http://www.chroniclejournal.com/content/news/local/2010/12/20/absolutely-splendid
I would relate the whole story, but, it's included in the link ^_^
We're having tea and cakes on Wednesday, so, I can imagine this will be the talk of the day. Gladys is my Mom's sister, and as Irish as they come.

Had Carol on my mind this morning as Piper has now started to accept the leash a bit better .. mind you .. there is still a MINI production that occurs .. but .. he does allow himself to be captured and leashed and enjoys every second of his walks. Glad we live in the boonies and nobody can see, or hear, the shenanigans that go on LoL

Doing a SMALL shopping trip to .. Wal-Mart .. !!! I must be crazy .. should have gotten up at 2am and gone !!
School is out now, and most university students ar just back or expected to return soon. Have 3 or 4 nieces/nephews coming home.

Take care all

~M~
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 20, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #8269074

Marilynn what a great story! I think your Auntie must be a hoot to be around.
Lots of great crafts Betty you deffinatly have a gift.

We are collecting for a small family here at work and Wednesday it will be delivered to them. It feels good to make a difference to someone who otherwise won't get anything.
Our adopted Mom has been working hard to move ahead with her life and this token will feed both their tummys and their spirits so she will have a positive few months as the extra food will do that for them.
My work has given me a Pointsetta and a turkey and on Thursday they will do a big lunch for everyone then I'm off till Jan 3rd. What an excellent change from retail!

My family will be going out to the Mom in law's who's about the best one anyone could have, for the Eve and then she is coming back with us to stay over and have Xmas b fast with us and an elderly neighbor who loves to be over that morning.
I have about 7 people joining us for diner later on so I hope to be organized enough to visit.
Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 20, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #8269725

What a great article, Marilyn!
I'll just bet they Would like an invitation to William & Kate's wedding... hmmmm maybe they should ask? Ya Never Know...!!

I'm going to see if I can get Christmas Eve off. I'd booked vacation between Christmas & New Year's in my last job, and didn't think they would honour that, but some co-workers said I should try... and that it can't Hoit!! So, I'll ask tomorrow.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 21, 2010
8:11 AM

Post #8270588

Almost noon so can't say good morning everyone!

"M" didn't want to fight the crows so was at waylmart at 7 as I wanted to get 4 new tires and they said if I came at 7am I could, however, staff didn't show up so was told possibly 11am..no can do, had to be home to start taking work calls at 9am..had planned on doing my grocery order for Christmas and pick up a few last minute gifts..wasn't happy so left but not before I told customer service they just lost a $700-$800 dollar customer.. and I wouldn't have been far off..they didn't much care lol

Came to local grocery store and did my order and ordered in what else I wanted so I could ensure it would be there Thursday..called Tire Guys, going to get my tires 7:30 a.m. Thurs. and tonight I'll deliver what's left of the floral arrangements and finish off the few gifts.

Have my new boarder Dannie, was sad, she moved in with mega bags and cried most of the night, sure hope she and hubby somewhow can mend some fences..she's off with Darlene shopping this afternoon, gave her $$ to pick up a router for the computer so that she can access my internet. Tonight will see if she would like to come along with me to drop off few gifts;

Ann and Mike are off the Princess Marguerite Hospital where he gets the final verdict as to if they will continue chemo or if they've done all they can do..sure wish they could have put it off until after Christmas.

Going to look at your link "M"..

Ann, how wonderful that you are treating a family..I got a gift yesterday a 'goat' It's a program sponsored by World Vision. June gave a baby goat in my name hoping to change the life of a family. Darlene also got a goat so let's hope a he and a she are sent and many more babies born...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 21, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #8270592

Praying you get snow Laurie, you've had quite a winter so far, or shall I say fall, not yet winter is it???

Well, promised SIL I'd make a cloth bag for her daughter, had it cut out and completely forot about it until she called, told her to drop in tomorrow, didn't dare say, ooops forgot all about it..lol
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 21, 2010
12:55 PM

Post #8271015

Hello everybody!
Have not checked the other thread yet- just wanted to let you know I came home this morning-
Have lost a major portion of my interior! Now I just need to continue the healing process.
I will be posting again soon.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 21, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #8271167

Goodness Carol .. and heal you shall .. time will be your friend ..

SO wonderful to see that you are home, as with Lorna, NOW, the real healing begins ..

HUGS

~M~
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #8271188

Nice to see you back Carol!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 21, 2010
4:01 PM

Post #8271321

My grandchildren ...

Brooklyn Irene 12
Austin Murray 9

^_^

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #8271341

Carol - so pleased that you are at home. Take it easy and recuperate well.
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

December 21, 2010
4:30 PM

Post #8271388

Carol, so glad you are home. Mar, beautiful photo of the grandkids. I see you got a feisty redhead, ha ha.

I am enjoying the visit from mine, but they are all out for the evening.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 21, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #8271467

LOL .. Austin is 'the comedian', whereas Brooklyn is 'the thinker' .. and they are both red heads .. but Austins is just a bit MORE red ^_^

Enjoy your visitors 'B'

~M~
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 21, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #8271560

Carol,
Glad to see you are home. Wow, they sure booted you out quick, didn't they?? Well, better environment at home for healing, I'm sure...

Call me if you need anything - I'm planning to be off Thursday and can run some errands for you.

Joanne N.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 21, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #8271690

Carol
I am tickled that you are home now. Now you can rest and get well I know from experience that the hospital is no place to get a good nights sleep! Your own home and peace and quiet will do the trick , it's good that a friend is there to help.
I bet your furries were happy to have you home too!
Talk to you soon.
Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 21, 2010
9:33 PM

Post #8271812

So good to see you're home and posting, Carol.
"most of your insides" eh? Well, here's hoping you have a quick healing, and feel better soon!
Get lots of rest, please, and remember you have a lot of friends who can be here for you, and help you.
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2010
9:40 PM

Post #8271824

Glad you are home, Carol. In case your doctor didn't tell you - they seldom do as they don't know much about the connection between nutrition and health - be sure to take very large doses of Vitamin C while you're healing as that is absolutely necessary for the formation of connective tissue. If I'd had time before you went in, would have recommended that you be on a Vit C drip right from before the surgery. All the best for your recovery.

I finally got in touch with my friend in St Martins NB, and right - he was fine as far as the flooding went. Now you poor folks are going to get another dose, looks like. Stay safe and dry, OK?

Christmas coming on like a steam roller all of a sudden - got to get my butt in gear for the last minute stuff!!

A Merry Christmas to you all . . .

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 22, 2010
2:46 AM

Post #8271931

How wonderful to open this thread this morning and see that you are now home Carol. Am sure you will listen to all of the doctors orders. Sounds as though you've been through quite an ordeal, you won't heal overnight, long road ahead but I can see you sitting, resting with those furries at your side. Keep well my friend!

Love the photo "M", good looking gaffers, take after their grandma I'm sure.

Wow, more rain for the east, haven't looked at the long term forecast for this area, guess I should. It sure is cold out there this morning, had to put the fireplace on as it's chilly here in the basement.

Can't believe I've been working on Christmas since Dec.26th and still have had a few things to run around and get last night. I was shocked though that there weren't many in the stores, perhaps it was because it was 8pm??

Here I sit with over 20 gift bags filled with lap afghans/chill shoulder wraps for the seniors home, tried calling I don't know how many times, wanted to give them to patients who have no family and wouldn't get a gift, they did say they'd call but haven't..not sure why, maybe they don't want to be bothered name tagging them and washing them after they are used, kind of heartbreaking..everyone thinks of the young, the woman's shelter and I thought seniors are left without much thought so why not make them a gift...not sure what I shall do if not accepted...I'll call and ask for top management this morning and tell them of my concerns...

Am sure many of you will enjoy a day of fighting the masses..be safe, stay warm and enjoy!

Let's be like the little ones, "how many more sleeps are there before Santa comes?'

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 22, 2010
4:34 AM

Post #8272053

I, too, was surprised at the 'lack' of people in the stores.
I 'steeled' myself as I pushed open the door to SEARS (yes I went there LoL) got inside and found very few people shopping, and this was at 11am.

Tea with the Aunties today, and a bit more shopping for a few sundry items .. I do believe Betty, that, as of today .. there are THREE sleeps until Santa arrives Saturday morning. AKKKKkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk I best get into TURBO BOOST !!!!

I think my Xmas is nicer knowing Carol is home ...

Got a bit of snow to shovel ..

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 22, 2010
5:06 AM

Post #8272104

That it is "M" now if she behaves will be the thing..do hope so!

It will indeed be interesting to see the final financial figures re shopping..could be also that some stores are open 24/7 so many are shopping on off hours, know I did.

OMG had a laugh last night, went to Tim Hortons to get some gift cards for elderly aunt and uncles and then I asked for a card valued at $1.33, she looked at me, keyed it in, wouldn't accept anything less than $2.00 so we came up with a plan, I'd pay $2.00 then buy a raisin muffin and that would get me to almost my $1.33 (other than a coule of pennies) you see, standard joke with my boys seeing as they were both born in 1969 and got everything the same except in different colors until they had different interests in their late teens always go on and on with who got more than who soooo kept all the receipts and the difference was $1.33 so a gift card for Tim Hortons makes up the difference and the end up with exactly the same..lol...will wait until all their gifts are open and then the bickering (all in fun) starts and I'll give Jeff the Tim Hortons card, am sure they'll all have a good laugh.

Well finished a quilted bag for my sister-in-law who wanted it for her daughter, just found a sewing scrap thread holder 90% done so think before I put my things away for the holidays I'll finish it.

Friends coming over today to do more jewelery sets as gifts, might do a few of those and add them to the packages for the girls, not sure they wear that type of thing but hey, can always re-gift right?

Enjoy your day girls, be back later..

That many sleeps??? hope Santa comes here first...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 22, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #8272719

Enjoy the banter re the the Timmies card Betty .. ^-^

Went into M&Ms today .. it was busy .. one of the cashiers mentioned that CPP was paid today, so, pensioners are out shopping .. and .. I did notice a few more folks in a gift shop I went into.

Tea with the Aunties was lovely as always. My Aunt opened the door of her condo wearing the TIARA her friends had gotten her .. of course, her dining room table was decked out festively, and the baking (all homemade by this 96yr old) was wonderful .. it was a great way to spend the afternoon.

TOMORROW is my LAST trip to town .. have ordered a meat and cheese tray for Xmas Eve, gets me off the hook for cooking :-) Having breakfast with some nursey buds .. and .. MAYBE .. ONE quick skeedaddle around Zellers

Hope every one has had a super day .. most especially, Carol ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 22, 2010
3:25 PM

Post #8272826

Glad you enjoyed your day "M" with the aunties...

Ordered the fruit/meal and veggie trays sure makes life a whole lot easier.

Must organize myself tonight to pack the most into tomorrow that I can..

Know I have to be in Midland to have 4 tires put on my vehicle, have to have the dressing made and brought into the grocery store so they can stuff the deboned turkey they are doing for me, pick up what I need to do the tortierre's and make them along with some fruit pies, lordy that should cover a good part of my day and evening..lol...

still trying to find out what to do with over 20 lap afghans and shoulder warmers I've done this past year for the seniors, guess the home didn't want them, so disappointing..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 22, 2010
4:52 PM

Post #8272925

The Salvation Army may take the afghans Betty ... worth a try.

I have NEWS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last evening (Tues) the phone rang. It was Lilly's breeder. She was SO excited. Lilly's Aunt has had a litter of SEVEN WESTIES .. 4 girls and 3 boys. I had told her a year ago when a litter failed, that if she ever were to have another litter, I wanted a female .. well .. that was my call !!
I HAD to tell her we had a PIPER now, she understood .. I hung up, went to bed, and could hardly sleep ..
Lilly is such an absolutely wonderful dog .. temperament, size, coat .. on and on.
SO .. at the end of Feb 2011 or beginning of March, we will welcome 'Semmlers Miss Kate' (Katy) into our home joining Lilly and Piper and Smokey !!!
She is named 'KATE' in honour of Kate Middleton who will be marrying Prince William in 2011 (sappy huh) LoL

There you have it

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 22, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #8272933

LOL Timmie's card - Betty, Really funny!!!!!

~M~ what does having a Piper have to do with your getting another Westie? So great that you're getting the Westie you wanted!!

Well, off to do some cleaning/baking, etc... Made some old-fashioned Mincemeat, now to make pies out of it.
Will make a "Farmer's Carrot Pudding" too...
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #8273034

We didn't get any more rain with the storms that went through the Maritimes this week - some places got hit hard with storm surges yesterday. We had a mix of rain and snow but no accumulation. If you look in the right places you can see a white Christmas.
Picking up my brother at the airport tomorrow at 4:30. I will work till about 3 then on my way. Looking forward to some quiet time with good company, good conversation and good food.

Would any of the hospitals be interested in your afghans Betty?
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 23, 2010
11:02 AM

Post #8273870

Looks like everyone is busy!
"M" I think you are getting a collection! LOL What a softie you are.
Susan I think I can smell that baking from here.
Betty I'm sorry that the Sr home wouldn't take your afgans, just a thought but when I was at the Cross in Edmonton, every room had a home made afgan on a chair with a little note that it was made with love and if it was needed it could go home with you. I didn't need it but the thought that someone I didn't know cared enough to make a blanket for me if I needed it, lifted my spirits when things were a bit scary.

I'm at work and yesterday had our "Family" stuff picked up and taken over to our adopted Family, the Social Worker was moved to tears and thanked us for making a difference to this single mom who was struggling. Good way to start this week off.
Today we are being fed lunch , do a gift exchange and go home early , not to return until January 3. Yahoo.
Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 23, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #8274248

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1146156/

Switched us over to here ...

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL ^_^

~M~

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America