Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums: Wild Cranesbill Species?

Communities > Forums > Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums
bookmark
Forum: Geraniums, Pelargoniums and ErodiumsReplies: 4, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
atisch
Alameda, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 26, 2010
1:38 AM

Post #8230821

I'm pretty sure that the flower pictured is a (wild) Cranesbill species but I would like to know exactly what it is. The plant was very small, maybe 3" tall when the photo was taken on April 14, with leaves about an inch and flowers ~1/2". It grew wild in my garden in the SF Bay Area. The flowering period was fairly brief.

I'd greatly appreciate assistance in identifying it.

Thanks,

Allan

Thumbnail by atisch
Click the image for an enlarged view.

OwlCreekGarden
Corvallis, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2011
9:37 AM

Post #8388236

Allan:
Just starting to use this site and saw your post. If it is a Geranium it is probably G. ocellatum (most likely) or G. biuncinatum. Check those two out on Google images. There is a picture of G. ocellatum at plant-world-seed.com. I have been tempted to get this plant but the source would be critical for survival here in the Willamette Valley where I live. G. ocellatum from the Himalayas probably would be ok. But seed stocks are more likely from the Arabian Peninsula.
Hope this is of help.

Lee
atisch
Alameda, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8388494

Lee,

Thanks for your suggestions. The pictures of G. ocellatum is indeed very close and the size described for the plant is also consistent. Would this likely to be found growing very commonly and wild in Northern Calif.? The plants are already staring to grow in many of my beds at the moment. It will have a brief and sporatic bloom and then the plants die back. I'm not sure if I'm seeing plants growing from last year's seed or the same plant. I'll make a point to observe it better this year and next, even to protect a few of the plants to see if they appear next year in the same spot (or pot).

Allan
OwlCreekGarden
Corvallis, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8388707

Allan:

All of the Geraniums in the group are annuals and none are native the USA. So it is either introduced or it is not a Geranium. Suggest you check when it goes to seed to see if it has the classic "cranesbill" form of true Geraniums.

Lee
atisch
Alameda, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8389167

Lee,

Thanks for the info. I've seen so many over the years I never suspected that none are native. That explains a lot. I'll follow it all the way to seed as you suggest. These are so common that they're usually weeded from gardens around here before they get to flower. They are small but rather beautiful and detailed flowers.

Allan

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get?? sticks_n_stones 12 Mar 30, 2007 2:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America