Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Indoor palms: Selecting and caring for these popular houseplants: Majesty Palms brought indoors for winter

Communities > Forums > Article: Indoor palms: Selecting and caring for these popular houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Indoor palms: Selecting and caring for these popular houseplantsReplies: 6, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
machine3
Perryopolis, PA

November 26, 2010
9:18 AM

Post #8231235

Hi.
we bought 6 Majesty palms last spring and I planted them in 4 gallon square buckets that would fit into places I made special for them in our deck. Now it's winter time and I have brought them inside. They are starting to show brown but I expect that since the amount of light and hours of light has changed. My question is I am worried about root lock/bound.
I will post more pictures in other post since i can only post one pic at a time.

This message was edited Nov 26, 2010 2:21 PM

Thumbnail by machine3
Click the image for an enlarged view.

machine3
Perryopolis, PA

November 26, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #8231238

How do these roots look? Are they ok, are they root locked/bound, if not do i have long before they are?

Thank You for any help

This message was edited Nov 26, 2010 2:20 PM

Thumbnail by machine3

machine3
Perryopolis, PA

November 26, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #8231241

Another pic

Thumbnail by machine3

machine3
Perryopolis, PA

November 26, 2010
9:23 AM

Post #8231244

This is where they are staying for the winter

Thumbnail by machine3

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 26, 2010
10:06 AM

Post #8231291

not familiar with the term 'root lock'... but they sure look like healthy root balls... only I would not have recommended planting more than one palm per pot. These will become horribly root bound soon (maybe that is the same thing?) and eventually (sooner than later since you have multiple palms per pot) there will be no soil left, and the palms will decline rapidly. Not sure what to tell you to do about it, though as separating now is going to kill them. Personally, I would view them as a temporary situation and plan on replacing them soon, unless you can create a pot situation that is 3-5x the size of the current pots. It will still be temporary but you might get another 5-10 years out of them that way.
machine3
Perryopolis, PA

November 26, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #8231356

When we bought the palms there were more than one to each pot so thats how I transplanted them.
Can the roots be trimmed so there life can be extended in the same planters that they are in now?

Root Bound Root Lock I heard of both terms, i guess they mean the same thing.

Thanks

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 26, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #8231819

I don't know if you can get away trimming palm roots... they are not like other trees that take root trimming in stride. But you may have no choice soon. Palms do NOT like their roots messed with though some are much touchier than others.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Indoor palms: Selecting and caring for these popular houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you threegardeners 7 Dec 30, 2007 4:27 AM
Irish moss in high desert as a ground cover digitalpeggie 1 Dec 30, 2007 5:55 AM
What is this? alwright50 1 Jun 11, 2008 3:40 PM
Majesty Palm rot? Please help! mysticmisty 3 Jul 29, 2008 4:37 AM
Sawpalm pest problem sawpalm 1 Sep 9, 2008 5:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America