Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Soil and Composting: Kitty litter in compost

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 9, Views: 170
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 26, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #8231925

I have been producing compost for a very long time, and might add, it is vericompost.I allow the clippings, and grasses to tumble, and get through their "Heat Tretment", before feeding the worms.
Since I can't say No to a lost cat, I seem to have aquired a few, and having the "Saving Mentality", that I have, I have been wondering, about using the litter, instead of paying to dump it.
Has anyone experienced this type of addition to the compost?
I put in old shoes, belts, and most papers, but have never used cat, or dog.
Thank you, Mike
PuddlePirate
North Ridgeville, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2010
8:56 AM

Post #8232647

What kind of litter is it, & do you plan to use it on edibles?
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #8232674

I use the "clotting " kind, by arm&hammer.
No, as to eddible use, this goes in prenniel beds.
I am not so sure that it will be eaten, by the worms.The cost of the dump, is my main issue, but would not want to throw a flaw into the compost works.Once I suffered a big loss of worms, and found out that it was because of the horse manure, where the horses had been wormed.It actually affected the worms. Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 28, 2010
12:34 PM

Post #8234667

Here's my two cents...Cat litter/droppings can carry toxoplasma, which can severly affect unborn children or people with weak imune systems. I'm not so sure I would compost it, myself. My rule of thumb is, if it's from a carnivor, then it doesn't get composted - so carnivor droppings, meat, eggs, mouse bodies, don't get composted, although I do compost egg shells.

From Michigan State : http://www.pa.msu.edu/sciencet/ask_st/041697.html
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

November 28, 2010
2:29 PM

Post #8234816

I think Kmom has a point about cat litter & droppings. I wouldn't compost them. I do however compost meat, fish, and dairy after I have fermented them, e.g., "bokashi'd" them--but this is a matter of preference.
I suspect that worms are sort of like the "canary in the mine"--an early-warning system about the healthfulness of what they are consuming! I'm not an expert, but those worms do seem to know what they are doing.
The worms LOVE the Bokashi-scraps I put into my garden beds and compost pile.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 29, 2010
6:02 AM

Post #8235623

Personally- I would consider burying it in areas not for edibles.
I believe there is potassium in cat litter, a good mineral.
With our dog waste, we cut off a bucket and sink it, then fill it with waste for a couple weeks, then top it wiht dirt and make a new hole etc.
notlerac
rural, CA
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #8258633

I have been composting for over 30 years. Most cat litter is basically clay and will not compost. In addition cat feces carry many diseases that humans are susceptible to. I would never allow cat or dog feces or litter in my compost.
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2010
8:48 PM

Post #8258939

Thanks all, I have decided against it. Mike
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2011
12:44 AM

Post #8387665

If cat litter does not compost, what about using new cat litter like vermiculite to improve drainage in soil mixes? Vermiculite is expensive-Cat litter is not. Im not talking about placing it in the compost pile but using it to make soil mixes for growing things.
PuddlePirate
North Ridgeville, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2011
2:16 AM

Post #8387671

Cat litter is designed to absorb & hold liquids, so I don't think you'd want to use it in a pot if drainage is your goal.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America