Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Handyman: Slippery railroad ties in the garden-suggestions?

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 4, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
patti47
Lynnwood, WA
(Zone 7a)

November 27, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #8232685

The railroad ties terracing the garden are extremely slippery and dangerous when it rains. Is there a solution to this problem? Could that sandy paint stuff be used or the strips of stuff that is used on stairs?
patti47
Lynnwood, WA
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2010
5:44 AM

Post #8263072

Still seeking a solution. I checked at a hardware store about the sandy stuff but that is applied with paint or some such. The sandy strips are to be stapled on but that isn't really doable with RR ties. These things are treacherous when wet.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

December 17, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #8264763

Old RR ties, are quite rough, and the creosote treating will leach for many years making most paint fail quickly.

Where are these installed?

They should NEVER be used for steps. Most use them for edging or curb-stops around some planting beds.
patti47
Lynnwood, WA
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2010
8:30 AM

Post #8264889

I work in a garden where these are installed as steps. They do some major hill holding and will not be replaced any time soon. I find myself tiptoeing around when it is wet out because I have slipped a number of times. I work in this yard every week so for my own safety I am seeking a solution.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

December 17, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #8265427

Golf shoes - the spikes should keep you from slipping.

Sorry you have to put up with them.

We had a couple of retaining walls by the pool in CA, that were built with RR ties, but we did not walk on them - first step was about 3 feet. Hill was covered in ice plant to keep it from sliding down into the pool

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America