Photo by Melody

Article: Red-twig Dogwoods: a Shrub for All Seasons: Which dogwood will spread?

Communities > Forums > Article: Red-twig Dogwoods: a Shrub for All Seasons
bookmark
Forum: Article: Red-twig Dogwoods: a Shrub for All SeasonsReplies: 1, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
janiewj
Portland, OR
(Zone 8b)

November 27, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #8232708

Thanks for the excellent article...I read a whole book about dogwoods a few years ago, but got a better understanding of the different species and cultivars from your article.
I have several of the the elegantissima and flaviramea planted around a dry creek bed, but I'm thinking that I'd like bright red stems and better fall color instead. I don't want them to spread into thickets, though...any suggestions? Don't some spread and others not?
lortay
Navan
Ireland

February 20, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9013483

C. 'Midwinter Fire' is said to spread so much as to be a nuisance (although I have not seen this). C. 'Siberica' is an excellent red stemmed form and keeps to itself. They are all easily kept in check, however, and all benefit from being pruned down regularly.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Red-twig Dogwoods: a Shrub for All Seasons Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article Jan23 5 Aug 3, 2008 7:47 PM
pruning? mythmkr 1 Aug 4, 2008 10:26 PM
Thanks! CompostR 0 Aug 4, 2008 4:29 PM
Leaf Spot on Roses MickeyDee 1 Aug 9, 2008 6:12 PM
Re-Twig Dogwood article/questio eljay1 1 Mar 3, 2009 12:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America