Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie!: Larger pumpkins work fine for me

Communities > Forums > Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie!Replies: 1, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lfunnyfarm
Buford, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 29, 2010
5:41 AM

Post #8235590

I cook my Fall decorative pumpkins when I'm done with them. They are more watery than pie pumpkins but oven roasting evaporates some of the water and gives you a chance to pour off the rest.
I have found pies made from fresh pumpkin to be much lighter in texture, almost like a souffle. Lighter in color too.
As a convenience, I package my cooked, blended pumpkin in 2 cup servings in freezer bags as that is the amount called for in most of my recipes. Pop them in the freezer and use as desired. Yum!
pastapicker
Columbus, OH

December 1, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #8238851

I agree! I have just processed 2 large "field" pumpkins and several "pie" pumpkins, and really found no difference in taste. I have taken advantage of clearance prices on pumpkins to put up several quarts of pumpkin which I use as a vegetable (mashed, just like any winter squash) and to make pumpkin soup as well and breads and pies.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks Dutchlady1 8 Nov 24, 2010 12:17 PM
Nicely Done! darius 6 Nov 24, 2010 12:25 PM
I love pumpkin! 3boysmother 6 Dec 3, 2010 9:01 AM
Wonderful article!! tombaak 2 Nov 21, 2008 8:57 PM
A different pie CindyJ22 1 Nov 24, 2008 9:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America